Indian Naval Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by Singha »

seeking to grapple with the enemy is not the way to fight a war.

we need enough sub assets to slip past PLAN patrols in south china and yellow sea and
inflict significant damage on merchant ships and power stations on land. a mix of AIP and
SSN will have to do because we cannot afford a all-SSN fleet.

for the PLAN subs, we need Type28 type corvettes, OPVs, lots of MPA and ASW helis,
SOSUS arrays , new towed sonars, ASW heli carriers.
jaladipc
BRFite

Post by jaladipc »

IN should better consolidate its sub assests by having more SSN`s.

It is confirmed that IN is planning to have a minimum SSN force of 10+,but it needs more than that number.Its better to go with mass production of the next SSN design.And an upgradation of reactor core to better refuel time as well.....
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

album from OpDemo 2009 is complete. Please visit the album at

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Gall ... Demo+2009/
johnny_m
BRFite

Post by johnny_m »

Kailash wrote:
johnny_m wrote:US NAVY Mandate? They have operated Single engined fighters/Attack aircrafts before and F 35 C is going to be their future AC.
Prior to F-35, their policy leans towards a twin engine design only. There were lot of planes post WW-II which were single engined and operated from carriers. But since the 1960-70 (F-4, F-14, F-18), all conventional take off fixed wing designs have carried two engines. I am not sure about the why - may be if one engine fails in flight they can still land using their FBW and controls.

The harriers, F-35 etc and other vertical take off designs are exceptions.
Again not true and half truths

Ever Heard of F 8 Crusaders and A7 Corsairs ?

F 35B is the only vertical take off version and its going to be operated by USMC and not USN. USN is going to use F 35 C CTOL fighters.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

johnny_m wrote: ....F 35B is the only vertical take off version and its going to be operated by USMC and not USN....
There is no vertical take off version of F-35. F-35B for US Marines and Royal Navy is STOVL ie; short take off and vertical "landing".
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

OT.
Last edited by Rahul M on 24 Dec 2009 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: there has to be some minimum relevance to India in the "Indian" naval discussion thread.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

EDIT.
Last edited by Rahul M on 27 Dec 2009 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: OT post.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

guys, please take any further F-35 news to the appropriate thread. this is going OT.
thanks.
K_Rohit
BRFite

First pics of SHAR with derby + python?

Post by K_Rohit »

Is this the first published pic of a upgraded SHAR with derby+python? If not, any link on where I can find these pics?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 371975.cms

Also, can somebody ID the other weapons on the starboard wing?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: First pics of SHAR with derby + python?

Post by Rahul M »

K_Rohit wrote:Is this the first published pic of a upgraded SHAR with derby+python? If not, any link on where I can find these pics?

am I missing something ? I don't see a pic ?
K_Rohit
BRFite

Re: First pics of SHAR with derby + python?

Post by K_Rohit »

Rahul M wrote:
K_Rohit wrote:Is this the first published pic of a upgraded SHAR with derby+python? If not, any link on where I can find these pics?

am I missing something ? I don't see a pic ?
[img]

Looks like the url is not loading. You can link it in the story in the e-paper version. Its on page 13 in the Delhi edition.

I have no idea about how to paste the image here. So help would be appreciated!
Last edited by K_Rohit on 24 Dec 2009 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

screen grab --> cut-paste in MS paint/GIMP --> convert to JPEG --> imageshack --> hotlink/thumbnail for foums.
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

Rahul M wrote:screen grab --> cut-paste in MS paint/GIMP --> convert to JPEG --> imageshack --> hotlink/thumbnail for foums.

Need to ID the weapon fit-out...Derby+python+??
sumshyam
BRFite

Post by sumshyam »

On national security interests, Govt moves Hindustan Shipyard to Defence ministry
"The government has approved transfer of Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL), Visakhapatnam, to Ministry of Defence for meeting the national security requirements of building strategic vessels for Indian Navy," Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said.
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

Looks like the derby, too small a pic to get a good ID on the smaller missile though. Must be the Magic. Interesting to see multiple ejector racks. Good catch Rohit.

CM.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

rohit, thanks. it does look like derby and magic to my old tired eyes.
arya
BRFite -Trainee

Post by arya »

saurav.jha wrote:these indigenous class will be diesel ...i guess??? what about the nuke ones..???

check the article's title: :-o
Navy for second line of submarines construction
Last edited by arya on 25 Dec 2009 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
gogna
BRFite

Post by gogna »

Punjabi to the rescue again :lol: 8) :rotfl: better resolution to identify
http://www.ajitjalandhar.com/20091224/
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

It's pretty obvious that the missile next to fuel tanks is Derby. But, it's difficult to figure out the others exactly.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Cain Marko wrote:Looks like the derby, too small a pic to get a good ID on the smaller missile though. Must be the Magic. Interesting to see multiple ejector racks. Good catch Rohit.

CM.
exactly what I was about to say CM ! I remember having had a very agitated discussion with a senior BRF member when I suggested that the Tejas could carry dual-racks for the missiles. at that time several arguments were given about how it was not possible for this or that reason..now that we've seen it on the IN's SHar, I'm quite sure that this is something that we might see on the Tejas as well in a multi-role configuration- inner pylons with drop tanks, middle pylons with the dual racks and outermost with the close-combat missiles.

My only gripe with the picture is that its not too clear..:(
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I was a part of that discussion too ! :wink: in fact this pic immediately reminded me of it.

most interesting is the asymmetric load-out on the dual rails.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Sea Harrier has 4 hard points under each wing and even the second pylon from outside is strong enough to haul a fuel tank so derby and Majic combo on any of the inner 3 pylons should not be an issue.

--yikes FRS Mk51 which IN operates has only 2 hard points per wing.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Hi Guys...Here is the bigger pic.....

The missile next to the fuel tanks is definitely Derby.
The missile next to Derby looks like Python.

Thanks
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Venu
BRFite

Post by Venu »

Why is the aircraft looking so old and wared. Aren't we getting the new ones?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

KrishG wrote:Navy for second line of submarines construction
As per Indian Navy Staff Qualitative Requirements plan approved a decade ago, 24 submarines were to be constructed in series. The project-75 envisaged six of these to be constructed in the first phase (2000-2012) and the balance in the second phase (2013-2030).
Now, the Navy wants the government to identify the shipyards so that the second batch of 6 under project-75 India is undertaken and the rest 12 being wholly indigenous.
12 Indigenous class + 6 Project-75A class + 6 Project-75 (scorpene)
Given the P75 & P75A will enter service between 2015-2025, the follow-on 12 indigenous subs will come online only post 2025 and will likely be nuclear powered SSNs. Over the next decade (2010-2025), IN will have built up an expertise in building and operating nuclear submarines through leasing of 2 Russian Akula-II SSNs and building of 5 ATV (SSBNs). Together with the know-hows obtained from P-75, P-75A, Akula-II, and ATV, IN will be ready for designing and building the 12 indigenous SSNs (post 2025 service entry date).
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Venu wrote:Why is the aircraft looking so old and wared. Aren't we getting the new ones?
Naah, i don't think so. Its probably the same aircraft as in this pic taken in Russia earlier this year.

I'll blame it on the shadows and bad picture quality.

Add later: Check it out. This one looks even better. Though its a Mig 29K.
Venu
BRFite

Post by Venu »

Dmurphy wrote: Add later: Check it out. This one looks even better. Though its a Mig 29K.
Yeah..Great looking beast. Me very typical Indian only. Won't consider anything new, unless it comes packed in polythene :)
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

sunny y wrote:Hi Guys...Here is the bigger pic.....

The missile next to the fuel tanks is definitely Derby.
The missile next to Derby looks like Python.

Thanks
Sunny dont think its the python it will most probably be the magic reason being that the python 5 and derby indeed share the same rakit motor and the principal difference between them is being active radar vs infrared imaging thus I would imagine the python would have a slightly shorter length given the blunt infra red bulge for the python as compared the sharp cone of the active radar derby...however the missiles distinctly appear to be of different sizes....

One thing to note is the Derby looks quite big actually will be very interesting to see operational ranges...
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

negi wrote:Sea Harrier has 4 hard points under each wing and even the second pylon from outside is strong enough to haul a fuel tank so derby and Majic combo on any of the inner 3 pylons should not be an issue.

--yikes FRS Mk51 which IN operates has only 2 hard points per wing.
no sir, SHAR has 4 hard-points in all. 2 each under the wings.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Venu wrote:
Why is the aircraft looking so old and wared. Aren't we getting the new ones?
Which part of the aircraft is looking wared?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The paint might be peeling off, because of the extremes of temperature that this aircraft is having to go through while testing in Russia.
The temperature is well below freezing there in the winters and it gets reasonably warm during summers. This plane has been testing with this paint scheme for around a year at least.

Otherwise the body and machinery is spanking brand new.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

I believe it's just dust and dirt on the Mig's, should be able to clean and repaint it if neccesary.
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=12108

The President is expected to witness Sukhoi Su-30 and Sea Harrier fighter jets take off from the ship during her three hour stay.?????? :shock:

The above line is from a news aritcle posted in the Top Stories section of Bharat Rakshak.Com on December 23,2009. I believe it to be a reporting error or a gramatical mistake.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Anoop. A. wrote:http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=12108

The President is expected to witness Sukhoi Su-30 and Sea Harrier fighter jets take off from the ship during her three hour stay.?????? :shock:

The above line is from a news aritcle posted in the Top Stories section of Bharat Rakshak.Com on December 23,2009. I believe it to be a reporting or gramatical error.
Hmm.. It could be a DDM OR AND A BIG OR, a SU-30 might be CAPABLE?? of TAKING OFF from ins Viraat but NOT LANDING...
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

Craig Alpert wrote:
Anoop. A. wrote:http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NEWS/news ... wsid=12108

The above line is from a news aritcle posted in the Top Stories section of Bharat Rakshak.Com on December 23,2009. I believe it to be a reporting or gramatical error.
Hmm.. It could be a DDM OR AND A BIG OR, a SU-30 might be CAPABLE?? of TAKING OFF from ins Viraat but NOT LANDING...
Hmm... :mrgreen:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Craig Alpert wrote: Hmm.. It could be a DDM OR AND A BIG OR, a SU-30 might be CAPABLE?? of TAKING OFF from ins Viraat but NOT LANDING...
:rotfl:
how do you suppose it will take-off from the carrier unless it landed there before ?

p.s. kindly quit ALL-CAPS'ing every other word. it amounts to shouting and bad netiquette.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

The other missile in pic (first one being Derby) is a Matra Magic-II training round (the forward 8 fins are absent on the training round) . The dual rail system is made by DRDO.

ref: ACIG.org

Rahul yep I bungled up (the 4 pylons per wing are only for GR5 and above ) hence the note at the bottom ; btw has anyone come across a IN SHAR carrying a heavy weapon on the outer pylons ? (I suspect dual rail was possible for SHAR's outer pylon could take heavier loads than just a AAM , check the above pic and the list of weapons which the outer pylon can haul).
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

Rahulji,

Going a little off topic, I know Craig was being humourous, but it also made me think about the "Doolittle Raid", where the B-25 Mitchell of U.S. Army Airforces were loaded on USS Hornet for invading Tokyo as a revenge on Pearl harbour.