Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan - November 06, 2009

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan - November 06, 2009

Post by A_Gupta »

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 009_pg12_8
Heritage goes up in flames
According to prominent conservation architect Yasmeen Lari, these maps dated back to the year 1874. They were the earliest city survey maps that were made on the basis of the Great Indian Trigonometric Survey conducted at that time.

Like the great fire of Rome that destroyed the greatest city in the Roman era and known as the darkest chapters of Roman history, the historians of Karachi would also term the incidents of arson on Monday as the worst incident in history of Karachi in terms of heritage damage. Most of the historical buildings are burnt to such an extent that their restoration might be impossible.

The MA Jinnah Road (formerly Bunder Road) is home to hundreds of historical buildings that belong to the colonial era and owing to their presence, historians call this area as an open museum of heritage.

The road also has the distinction of having some of the finest historical buildings built during the British rule, and according to Lari, the one-and-a-half kilometres distance between the KMC building and Merewether Tower, there are about 60 historical buildings, majority of them protected under the Sindh Cultural Heritage Protection Act. Under the act, 600 such buildings were declared protected in the city in 1996. The Theosophical Hall, Denso Hall, Mama Parsi School, Khaliqdina Hall, Sugan Mansion, Radio Pakistan Building, NJV High School and Richmand Crawford Veterinary Hospital are some of these historical treasures. Besides the KMC building, other historical buildings set ablaze on Monday included the Mohsin Ali Building, Akbar building and a portion of the Denso Hall.
Last edited by A_Gupta on 30 Dec 2009 06:45, edited 5 times in total.
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

^^^ Our heritage going up in flames along with Bamiyan Buddhas, Sharda peeth and what not
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

The suicide attack on Monday is being termed as the 11th such attack in the city’s history, which is laden with such incidents that have claimed 313 lives in the last 10 events.

In the November 6, 2000 incident, a woman blew up herself at the office of a local newspaper on MA Jinnah Road that claimed three lives and wounded six people.

On May 8, 2002, a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a five star hotel killing 17 people, including 11 French engineers, and wounded 22.

June 4, 2002 saw another suicide attack in which the bomber targeted the American Consulate in which 12 people were killed and 45 were wounded.

In the May 31, 2004 incident, as many as 30 people were killed while over 100 wounded in a suicide attack on Imambargah Ali Raza on MA Jinnah Road.

On May 31, 2005, three people were killed while 36 wounded in a suicide attack on Imambargah Madinatul Ilm in the Gulshan-e-Iqbal area.

March 2, 2006 saw three people dead, including American Consulate official David Foey, while 50 were wounded.

A major sectarian suicidal attack took place on March 11, 2005 on the occasion of 12th Rabiul Awwal at Nishtar Park that claimed lives of over 65 people, including a Sunni Tehreek leader, while over 55 were wounded.

July 14, 2006 saw a Shia scholar and MMA leader Allama Hassan Turabi along with his nephew dead in Abbas Town, while three were wounded.
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.as ... 009_pg12_1
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Jarita wrote:^^^ Our heritage going up in flames along with Bamiyan Buddhas, Sharda peeth and what not
Along with the destruction and neglect of Gandhara and Kalash etc.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

As a followup to an earlier u-tube post (zardari/bilawal), I thought this might be of interest to some of you. (old one about election rigging)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WROcqCVHVQQ&NR=1
Vivek_A
BRFite

Post by Vivek_A »

COAS warns against airstrikes
The COAS raised the recent incidents of firing inside the Pakistani border and said that Pakistan’s sovereignty should be respected and if the allied troops have nay information of viable target inside Pakistan then they should share that information with the Pakistani authorities who would then take action themselves.
Vivek_A
BRFite

Post by Vivek_A »

Nutty Nation has a twofer. Shrill and bheja kHali

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news- ... n-mourning

A leaderless nation in mourning

SHIREEN M MAZARI
Another factor that should be given serious consideration is the suicide attack on the 9th Muharram procession in Muzaffarabad. This was a first for Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), which has not seen such sectarian violence before. Even in terms of suicide attacks, this was the second that occurred in AJK, the first being the attack against a Pakistan army truck which killed two soldiers, which itself was unusual given how in AJK the army is clearly seen as confronting Indian occupation forces across the LOC.

The tragedy of the 10th Muharram Karachi act of terrorism was compounded by the anger and fury that followed the tragedy which led to arson and destruction of hundreds of shops owned by small traders supporting extended families. The markets that were burnt to cinders also included the cloth market from where export took place. The question here is, how were these fires started so quickly - barely minutes after the terror attack - and so effectively? People were still running helter skelter amidst the huge and now-chaotic crowd, and ambulances were taking the dead and injured away, so who were these people who immediately were able to give organised vent to their anger and set the markets ablaze? Who had come prepared for such an eventuality to begin with? These are questions that need to be examined.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I think Rangudu is correct.

This article by shrileen makes one wonder, that the journalists in pakistan seem to be eager to pin this on the Zardari Altaf meeting.

This was Pak Fauj's retaliation against Zardari-Altaf aligning.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vivek_A wrote:COAS warns against airstrikes
The COAS raised the recent incidents of firing inside the Pakistani border and said that Pakistan’s sovereignty should be respected and if the allied troops have nay information of viable target inside Pakistan then they should share that information with the Pakistani authorities who would then take action themselves.
:rotfl: The Paki army will then warn the "viable target" to run away before the strike. It is Aalah's wish that the only country that can be fooled by this nonsense is the US of A and it is the US of A that is dealing with Pakistan. :shock:

What Irony. Truly Pakistan is blessed to have such a wealthy dunce as a partner. Maybe I was wrong in assuming that Allah may not be supporting Pakistan.
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

Pakistanis recount horror of suicide attacks

While the incidents are sad, they are still dotted with obfuscations.
I am an educated person, but I fail to understand why this is happening. Still not smelling the coffee.. The Western media says that the Taliban are Islamic militants. That's wrong. They have nothing to do with Islam. There is no provision in Islam for killing innocent people. Wonder if he can define innocent people. And also define NOT innocent people who are fair game?
Here is something thats been said several times here...
We have friends and family members in the police and the army - they tell us they haven't got a clue how to deal with the problem. They can't say how, when and where it might happen again.

The army is failing. The commitment of the killers is much stronger than the commitment of the army.
I don't care about their operation in Waziristan, I don't care about political issues. I want innocent people - women and babies to be safe.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

praveenswami on twitter
Taliban leader killed by Pakistan army dies of cancer. | http://bit.ly/4Yf4mA
:D
anupmisra
BRF Oldie

Post by anupmisra »

Avinash R wrote:| http://bit.ly/4Yf4mA
From the blog:
The Doran incident brings to mind the death of Abu Faraj, a dangerous Swat Taliban commander who orchestrated suicide attacks. Faraj was killed during a military operation in Swat in December after being captured in September. Faraj supposedly accompanied Pakistani troops during a raid. Doran's death in the Momand region in Bajaur also highlights the Pakistani military's failure to restore order in the tribal agency after touting the success of a military operation that ended in March.
Been saying it all along. This PA war on terror is all farce and a ruse to collect alms from the west. My tax dollars.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

I am awestruck by the agreement between Sindhis and MQM since MQM are people from India who are actually Punjabis. It seems that they decided to bury the hatchet for Sindh independence.

Also the procession attacked is of Shia and suddenly we have Sindh into focus. Are the people in Sindh primarily Shia?

Couldnt get more info from Wiki regarding the shia - sunni divide in Sindh
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

symontk wrote:I am awestruck by the agreement between Sindhis and MQM since MQM are people from India who are actually Punjabis. It seems that they decided to bury the hatchet for Sindh independence.

Also the procession attacked is of Shia and suddenly we have Sindh into focus. Are the people in Sindh primarily Shia?

Couldnt get more info from Wiki regarding the shia - sunni divide in Sindh
If you follow Pak politics, MQM is natural ally of PPP. If TSPA gets Zardari out then it will be their turn next. hence the Z-A meeting.

I think that Sindh is not what it was earlier when BB was removed. Is Zardari is removed expect Sindh to turn to cinders as there is new awareness of the weakness.

Yes most Sindhis are Shia.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Seems to be something to the conjecture that the Karachi mayhem was likely PA sponsored. They're likely mad at Zardari cosying up with Altaf and wrapping himself up in the Sindhi nationalism flag to ward off the post-NRO storm stage-managed by the pakjabi establishment. JMTs, of course.
Yes most Sindhis are Shia.
Wow. That's most definitely news to me. Was all along under the impression that the shia were minority everywhere in TSP excerpt in pockets in NA and FATA.

Aha. It gets more and more interesting here on, then.
RamaP
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RamaP »

For Zardari,playing the Sindh card is the last option for survival. He cannot rely on Americans for long, the Americans will find the next man to deal with very quickly. For Zardari, the writing on the wall was very clear when the NRO was scrapped and the CJ, along with the army and Gilani tried to corner him. Zardari has made it very clear, touch me and watch Sindh go in flames. We just need to think about the worst case scenario, if the PA is stretched to its limits by NWFP TTP, the Punjabi Taliban, Baluchistan insurgents, radical elements within the PA rank and file,uncle Sam's increasing intrusions into Pakistani heartland and the political uprising by Sindh's parties- the tipping point would reach very soon.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

PPP is morphing into a regional party in line with their sindhi pedigree. With BB gone, the Bhutto charisma is missing to carry Zardari through in Pakjab.

I am not particularly following Pakistan politics these days but my instinct tells me that PPP knows this is probably the last time a non Pakjabi party will come to power. Hence they are forming alliances with the Baloch and MQM identities. PPP never had a very strong following in Pakjab.

JI and PML-N and army are natural allies and will stay together keeping in line with Pakjabi tradition.

JI and MQM are rivals in Kraachi...hence makes sense for MQM and PPP to come together. This is good for subcontinent stability....as mohajirs will be encouraged to stay put...(ref: Kabila theory by Ramana).
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Paul, Recall we wanted MQM to have its own area to settle down? Who knows it might come about.
Paul
BRF Oldie

Post by Paul »

If I recall correctly, many years ago, Althaf Hussain ( his father was supposedly the station master of agra railway station; a long time bachelor) had married a sindhi to express his solidarity with sindhis.

He is former Sindh CM Jam Sadiq's chamcha.

Ramana: couldn't agree more.
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

ramana wrote:Yes most Sindhis are Shia.
Ramanaji you assertion plus 6.6% of Hindus in Sindh means that we are talking some serious scenarios over here. What i find funny is that UK-stan's bunny Altaf is being very chummy with Zardari who seems to be in the deep end now. What gives? All is maya.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Which way do the seraiki speaking areas in south pakjab vote? I thought PPP had quite a following there too.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hari Seldon wrote:Which way do the seraiki speaking areas in south pakjab vote? I thought PPP had quite a following there too.
Seraiki folks are more fundoo then the hon'ble Hafiz Sayeed. They will be the last bastion of Pakjabi Islamists.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Final toll reported
Death Toll in Pakistan Blast Reaches 43
Authorities appealed for calm after a bombing against a Shiite Muslim procession killed 43 in Pakistan's largest city of Karachi, setting off riots and igniting fears of sectarian unrest.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

ramana wrote:
Hari Seldon wrote:Which way do the seraiki speaking areas in south pakjab vote? I thought PPP had quite a following there too.
Seraiki folks are more fundoo then the hon'ble Hafiz Sayeed. They will be the last bastion of Pakjabi Islamists.
Ramana-garu, are you serious or just pulling a leg?

I always assumed Seraikis as "moderates" etc. Is this a myth like the "No sufi can be terrorist" funda?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

munna wrote:
ramana wrote:Yes most Sindhis are Shia.
Ramanaji you assertion plus 6.6% of Hindus in Sindh means that we are talking some serious scenarios over here. What i find funny is that UK-stan's bunny Altaf is being very chummy with Zardari who seems to be in the deep end now. What gives? All is maya.

Munna, While all are looking for centrifugal forces to spin away the constituent parts the reality could be fission from the core areas which are anti-centripetal.

Altaf is no one's bunny. He represents the Urdu speaking Mohajirs who went to the promised land and were betrayed by the Pakjabis. And its the Urdu that holds the kabila together. So its important which way he tilts. If these two forces combine what is left is Pakjabis and Pashtuns (who we know have their own freedom).
------------

Sum, look at all the places where the extremists hunker down.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

We will witness clear polarization in Pakiland once Uncle start cleaning North Waziristan . Sindhi, Mohajir Balochis are not gonna welcome and hide these "lufundz" in their territiories and PA will have to do just the opposite and push them into Non Pakjabi areas. Pakjabis dont want pure Islam of Talibans either.
Any was possible to slow down the water flow in new year? It will add few degree upward push in the temprature and expedite the long awaited huge vaccume burst :mrgreen:
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

symontk wrote:I am awestruck by the agreement between Sindhis and MQM since MQM are people from India who are actually Punjabis.
MQM represents people who migrated from non-punjabi region of India to pakistan primariy from current states of UP, bihar and MP. They are urdu speaking. If there is a social order for acceptance of people who migrated from India to pakistan they are last in the list. I dont even know whether muslims from Indian punjab had an assimilation problem in pakistan like them as punjab is a dominant province in pakistan. Musharaff belongs to an Urdu speaking family from Delhi and initially got settled in Karachi but if you see him speak now his tone and accent looks like punjabi.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

There are more things than what is being known to me and what meets the eye. Lot of undercurrents. Its first time I am understanding that Mohajirs have the Pastun component

Pakistan has to choose between Sindh/Balochistan vs B-52's it seems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhajir_(Pakistan)
It is estimated around 30 to 35% of Muhajirs are of Pashtun heritage. When the Pashtuns migrated to Muslim India from Afghanistan, they settled in the Muslim majority areas. However the Pashtuns of India gradually lost their own language Pashto and culture and adopted Urdu as their mother tongue. After independence they migrated to Pakistan, they were recognized as Muhajirs or Urdu speakers as they have integrated with them over the centuries.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

sum wrote:I always assumed Seraikis as "moderates" etc. Is this a myth like the "No sufi can be terrorist" funda?
sum, as Ramana very correctly points out, look at the places : Sargodha, Multan, DG Khan, Rahim Yar Khan, Rajanpur, Jhang, and Bahawalpur divisions of South Punjab which constitute Seraikistan.

I have seen a tendency to assume that the underdog people of oppressed nations in Pakistan (PONAM, in Tamil it means 'dead body') will not harbour the same enmity with India as the Punjabi-speaking Punjabis. Not true at all. You are right, that is for the same reason that we believe that sufis cannot be jihadists.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Over 10,000 jobs, Rs30bn lost to arson in Karachi
Over 10,000 people have lost their jobs because of a blaze that gutted between 2,000 and 3,000 shops located between Light House and Boulton Market in the old city area on Monday, causing an estimated loss of Rs30 billion.

“Thousands will have nothing to do on Wednesday when they return to markets. They were employed in shops destroyed when certain elements reacted violently after the suicide attack on the Ashura procession,” a shop-owner in the affected locality told Dawn on Tuesday.
There are also unofficial ground reports on deff n dumb fora that close to 90 people are burnt to death. TIFWIW.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Secret files show British caution over Bhutto’s execution
* Callaghan warned Zia against executing Zulfikar
* Documents reveal UK officials earlier saw it as internal matter, and did not even believe it would happen
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Same old whimpering from groper

India’s Balochistan role to be raised at right forum: Gilani
The government has evidence of Indian involvement in the Balochistan insurgency, which will be revealed at an appropriate time, Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani on Tuesday.

“I discussed the issue with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt. There is evidence of Indian involvement in Balochistan, however, it is up to the government to decide which forum it will raise the issue on,” the prime minister told a private television channel.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Monthly dole received by Pakis

Pakistan receives $1.2bn payment from IMF
Pakistan has received $1.2 billion from the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the fourth tranche of an emergency loan facility agreed upon last year, the central bank said on Tuesday.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

This is interesting.

Taliban claim Karachi suicide attack
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan on Wednesday claimed responsibility for a suicide attack that killed 43 people at city’s main Ashura procession, one of the group's most-wanted commanders told a foreign news agency.

"We carried out the suicide bombing in Karachi," Asmatullah Shaheen, a top militant commander based in the South Waziristan tribal district, said.
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

James B wrote: "We carried out the suicide bombing in Karachi," Asmatullah Shaheen, a top militant commander based in the South Waziristan tribal district, said.
http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=23850
Thursday, August 13, 2009
A senior government official, based in South Waziristan Agency, told The News......Asmatullah Shaheen Bhittani is affiliated with Baitullah Mehsud and was declared dead along with two other important commanders, Maulana Waliur Rahman and Hakimullah Mehsud, by his rival Turkistan Bhittani in a clash between Taliban fighters after Baitullah’s mysterious death in a US drone attack.

:lol:
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Politics of fire and fury - Shamshad Ahmad
Ever since we heard the slogan of “Pakistan Khappey” in the name of “national reconciliation” following her assassination, we have only been cutting ourselves into pieces, severing hands, rupturing knees and breaking jaws. Instead of gaining balance, we have gone to the extremes, and are not sparing even solemn anniversaries for spitting fire against unknown enemies and fuelling conspiracy theories.
What puzzles the nation most is the warnings of “threats” to democracy. Who is threatening it? Also, where is the democracy that is under threat? Democracy is nowhere in sight or in practice in Pakistan. And yet, the PPP’s politically illiterate provincial spokespersons are tirelessly ranting about “conspiracies” while senselessly lashing out at unnamed “enemies” of democracy. They are fuming insanity, threatening the very existence of Pakistan if anyone tried to oust the PPP government or its leadership.

One of them went to the extent of claiming that if Zardari had not said “Pakistan Khappey” after Benazir Bhutto’s assassination, they were all set for the breaking up of Pakistan. :lol: Such behaviour is an outright breach of his oath in which he solemnly pledged allegiance to the same country that he was contemplating to break. Perhaps for politicians of his ilk, Pakistan is no more than a mud house that can be demolished at will. It is time for sanity to return to our politician community.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

shravan wrote:
James B wrote: "We carried out the suicide bombing in Karachi," Asmatullah Shaheen, a top militant commander based in the South Waziristan tribal district, said.
http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=23850
Thursday, August 13, 2009
A senior government official, based in South Waziristan Agency, told The News......Asmatullah Shaheen Bhittani is affiliated with Baitullah Mehsud and was declared dead along with two other important commanders, Maulana Waliur Rahman and Hakimullah Mehsud, by his rival Turkistan Bhittani in a clash between Taliban fighters after Baitullah’s mysterious death in a US drone attack.

:lol:
So, this must be a job of TSPA and it is trying to put the blame on TTP and that too on a dead Talib commander.
vishal
BRFite

Post by vishal »

Happy New Year

TTP has promised more Karachi-like attacks in the next 10 days. I heard someone was passing the popcorn & beer :)
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Thirty seven militants, four levy men killed in Orakzai :eek:
Helicopter gunships shelled suspected Taliban positions in Anjani area of lower Orakzai Agency on Tuesday and killed 16 militants.