BR Forum Piskology Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
negi
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by negi »

RayC wrote: My fervent request is bring this forum back to the even handed forum it was where one exchanged knowledge and not insecurity!
You mean good old days as in ?

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewforum.php?f=12

There used to be dedicated threads on religion and Islamism back in those days, compare that to the corresponding forum (HAF) today .
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

negi wrote:
RayC wrote: My fervent request is bring this forum back to the even handed forum it was where one exchanged knowledge and not insecurity!

There used to be dedicated threads on religion and Islamism back in those days, compare that to the corresponding forum (HAF) today .
Not in the way what is happening today!

Got that?

Your link does not show any religious threads!

Or have I missed them?

Got my email?

What pains me is the sneaky way everything turns out to be Hinduvta and how other communities are awful and disloyal.

I regret to say that there are wonderful people who are the minority and who have saved this nation - Abdul Hamid for instance! Some Josos claim that their relatives have got the highest award in combat but cannot mention them. Too much of hot air without facts here is purveyed! Compare them (if ever known) with Abdul Hamid or Brig Osman and others. Sad that there is such a lot of drivel being churned out here! Of course, there are bad hats. It is across the religious divide! What's new? Cant condemn all with a broadbrush, can we or incite hatred. Or is that fair?

I will say that Brihaspati and his Hindu boys have got me worried that all Moslems and Christians are a scourge! And they have had a free hand without any Moderation! So what they say is true? What did Geobbels say?

Read Shiv's posts to see how this is affecting our mindset!

I would like to believe India is one!

Interestingly one bloke went to Baglidhara and thought he was ''touring'' in 'forward areas'! What make belief! And he made a song and dance over it here!

Kashmiris would say 'Tehle pe karoon Sheen'!
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

RayC wrote:Lastly, while Ldev may wrong. Did you show such alacrity towards the Hiduvta folks?
RayC, you did me the favour of asking me a question relating to past inter-moderator concerns via the report post functionality. I responded in kind using the private message facility (which only works mod-to-mod or mod-to-poster, but not poster-to-poster/mod, for reasons I don't fathom), in the most respectful terms.

However, you've now turned around and directed your continued ire at me in public, despite the fact that we've no personal history as far as this matter is concerned. I will not respond to you, since this is a continuation of your ongoing private discussion with Jagan (i.e. 'my Head') that you are now are venting publicly; I prefer to leave it between the two of you to continue to discuss privately and will therefore not address the matter with you separately.

In closing, as a general note, please remember, this is just an internet forum.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Please read my post to you.

I have been most respectful and deferential!

I did not have the privilege of a PM nor your email id so what was my option?

Indeed, I know not what is the interaction with Ldev. I went by what is upfront!

Sorry if it irked you!

Please get the software to allow PM to Mods and I am sure there will be no misunderstandings!

Please note I said:

I appreciate that you are doing a mug's game and it is hugely difficult to control, as I faced. However, a wee bit even headed stuff will do! You have been more even handed than the other Joe.

I am not a Chinese and so I don't know how to kowtow.

I am not having a continuing interaction with your 'Head'. Just extracting posts from this thread and hoping some introspection takes place.

Like you, I still feel that BRF is a great place and requires a wee bit of improvement as China is going through under the new dispensation and beyond the days of the Great Leap Forward and the Cultural Revolution!

If they can change, so can we!
Last edited by RayC on 06 Jan 2010 13:55, edited 2 times in total.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Indeed, I know not what is the interaction with Ldev. I went by what is upfront!
All interactions with me are limited to and visible on this thread.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

negi wrote:

you put in the wrong link. this is the one you mean.

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewforum.php?f=19

I can see as many as 10 religion threads there ! and of course the islamism threads, found here http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewforum.php?f=12
there was also a thread on EJs IIRC. all in the 'good old days'.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

I request any of the admin to change the title of the thread that goes by the name "Middle east news and discussion" (which is US DoS jargon and US-centric) to "West Asia News and Discussion" in line with MEA jargon (and India or Asia-centric). Thanks in advance.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Negi,

Yes good old days.

IIRC, I was not active in 2007.

And anyway I was not a Moderator and so there was nothing for me to do!
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Stan_Savljevic wrote:I request any of the admin to change the title of the thread that goes by the name "Middle east news and discussion" (which is US DoS jargon and US-centric) to "West Asia News and Discussion" in line with MEA jargon (and India or Asia-centric). Thanks in advance.
Stan, done.
BTW, did you receive my mail ?
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Shiv wrote:If I say "Muslims are basically good people" and I find a flurry of posts teaching me what Muslims are really like it means that a percentage of people on this forum are opposed to a Muslim rakshak statement

On Bharat Rakshak (Strat forum) there is more opposition to a Muslim rakshak statement than a Hindu rakshak statement. OK let me accept that as reality for this forum. But is "Bharat Rakshak forum" really a microcosm of India?

If BRF IS a microcosm of India it means that on the ground in India, Muslim rakshak actions will not be viewed with sympathy and India is a Hindu nation and Muslims are justified in being fearful for their future.
Do you think your contributions in the Islamism series of threads contributed to this attitude on the Strat forum? Your posts certainly did not paint a welcoming note or generate a warm feeling for any Muslims browsing the forum at that time. IIRC, Faizi who used to frequent BR at the time stopped contributing after these series of threads, or so he said on Mav's blog...
IF these posts were acceptable at that time, has the mandate of BR now changed or do you disassociate with them now? Certainly, if you made these posts now, RayC or N3, the secular admins would delete them, or ldev would find those distasteful.

Nothing is constant, and things change and BR should evolve as well...

BTW, who said BRF is microcosm of India? Anyone who thinks that is deluded... It is a hangout of a very specific section of the society. In fact, given your prolific contribution to the strat forum, I can make a case that doctors that play golf, drink Talisker, hangout with retired armed forces personnel, have definite views about Islam shape BRF opinion in strat forum more than any Muslim or Christian, and it would not be a wrong statement. :twisted:

The question that stems from this of course is "Who the hell is stopping Indians from coming to BR in droves?" It's not as if they are being driven away. I mean just like nobody is stopping Muslims from coming on here any Indian can come on here. Forum members and admins cannot be blamed for BRFs deficiencies. I believe that is correct.
Arent you arguing on both sides? For example you stated earlier that
On Bharat Rakshak (Strat forum) there is more opposition to a Muslim rakshak statement than a Hindu rakshak statement.
Doesnt the above serve as an impediment to more Muslim participation? You cant simultaneously say the above is true and then claim that forum members and admins are not to blame.

In my opinion, yes, BRF has a certain flavor to its views, which the charitable would call "Indic", some like RayC would call "Hindoootvawadi, Balee maangti Kaali Maa" types.. But thats what it is. One would probably need a more draconian editorial policy to get more Muslim participation, one where any and all references to Islam, Hindoo and Christian are verboten.

Perhaps as you say, getting rid of the strategic forum altogether would be a great start. In fact, we should go further and keep only the military forum itself.

Na rahegaa saanp na bajegi poongi!
Last edited by Tanaji on 06 Jan 2010 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

SSridhar wrote: BTW, did you receive my mail ?
Sridhar sir, no, you might have got the id wrong since i did nt post it clearly. Can you PM me your id? I used your rap** one, but I guess you must have been spammed by now with that id.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

To preserve history(if it does not endanger the forum), is it not possible to have a quarantine zone to move all those questionable or renegade posts so that mods and admins deliberate on them, while others continue on?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Thank you Negi and Tanaji.

And thank God for archives.

There was no "good old days" lame excuses not withstanding. (except the time when it was a pure military forum :D )

As I have mentioned the start of this dust up had nothing to do with issues.

Tanaji

can you ping me at balaji_b4 at garam hawa
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Tanaji wrote:
Do you think your contributions in the Islamism series of threads contributed to this attitude on the Strat forum? Your posts certainly did not paint a welcoming note or generate a warm feeling for any Muslims browsing the forum at that time. IIRC, Faizi who used to frequent BR at the time stopped contributing after these series of threads, or so he said on Mav's blog...
IF these posts were acceptable at that time, has the mandate of BR now changed or do you disassociate with them now?
:rotfl: I certainly got a lot of people eating out of my hands didn't I? It was lapped up like free chocolate milk shake by an audience that wasn't able to say all the lousy things they believed about Islam. In fact If they were not archived on here I could send them to you on email. I have them archived. The first thread was "Inside the mind of the Mullah"

Just because I made those statements at that time does not mean that I should not say what I am saying now. There is no contradiction. I felt no hate at that time in what I believe were clinical and well thought out posts dissecting Islamism and Islamic extremism and Islam and Muslims and the Muslim psyche. Everyone cheered me on and egged me on. That is archived too. The only posts of mine that were hotly debated and beaten down were when I started talking Hindu psyche. Those are archived in the religion thread if you care to look. Once again my comments about Hindus will get beaten down. Everyone is happy when I dissect Muslims. Everyone gets his chaddis in a twist when I dissect Hindus. Cognitive dissonance. I am certain to do that eventually. At a time and place of my choosing.

What I write now is equally well thought out. Nothing I have said on this thread is not true of BRF. Nothing I said about Islam is not true either.

Where's the problem?
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

If you are going to delete the Strat forum, please delete the archives as well . The Religious thread archive - what is it still doing on this forum? And all those islamist threads as well.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Where's the problem?
Not for me, there is none. But I see a disconnect in your statements:

You are objecting/complaining that there are no Muslims and Christians on BRF. Perfectly valid point, but aren't your earlier posts the sort of posts that Muslims may find objectionable or may be intimidated into not contributing towards BRF? You were contributing to the "ills of BRF" (as you perceive them to be now) and at the same time complaining about the same evils. Doesnt this sound similar to the trick that Indian politicians play all the time which is to contribute or ignore a particular contentious issue when they are in power, and when they get into opposition start raising a ruckus over the same issue for "government inaction".

My memory fails me, so I may be mistaken, but you were a mod when you made the Islamism threads, and hence contributed towards making BRF a less welcome place (as it is now in some peoples opinion) for Muslims and Christians. So perhaps the time to speak out was then?

The guys that "cheered you on" when you were "bashing Islamism" arent the ones that are complaining now that BRF is not welcoming, you are the one, which reminds me the Hindi saying of "Sau choohe maarke Billi chali Haj ko". (For those that cant/wont understand Hindi, it means "After killing a 100 mice, the cat is off to Haj to repent").
HariC
BRFite

Post by HariC »

ldev wrote:RayC,

Rest easy. Your legacy is secure.
Arent you the same guy who went rhona and dhona at Mavericks blog. While your friends over there were going gaga calling the members and moderators on BRF names, what were you doing? If i remember, shiv was still a moderator then and he was called "Mega BC" by your buddy Alok. I sure do hope you jumped to shiv's defence then and proved how upright and a honest person you are.
Last edited by HariC on 06 Jan 2010 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

An interesting book that could be read:

Globalization and Religious Nationalism in India

This book explores the effects of globalization in India and the problem of identity formation, this book contributes to the theoretical and empirical debate on identity, globalization, religious nationalism and (in)security.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Tanaji wrote: My memory fails me, so I may be mistaken, but you were a mod when you made the Islamism threads, and hence contributed towards making BRF a less welcome place (as it is now in some peoples opinion) for Muslims and Christians. So perhaps the time to speak out was then?
Why should anyone feel takleef if I speak out now and did not speak out then? No forum member spoke out then, Why are you speaking out now? I suggest that it is because those discussions did not cause you or anyone else discomfort enough to protest then but what I am saying now is causing discomfort. Driving out Muslims was fine and dandy. Accommodating them is the problem. If you want to blame me for driving them out, why blame me for repenting and wanting to accommodate? I should only receive encouragement no? :D Everyone was happy then. Why not now?

OK let us assume that I drove all Muslims out of BRF Fine. Now let us have them back. I will be nice and all those guys who cheered me on then can continue to cheer me on now no? But I bet it won't happen. That is the problem.

But I will certainly give it a try and lets see if all my former cheerleaders can continue to egg me on as I atone for past "sins". After all you are saying I was wrong at that time no? Or was I right then and wrong now? if so how?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Let us keep this simple. ldev, I did not respond to your retort for a reason, so you can feel you were right there.
Now as far as thread censoring, thought policing.

I will lock any thread I feel does not deserve to continue. If anyone feels I have an agenda, so be it.

I will stop any user from posting any thoughts that I don't feel shuold be posted on this forum. If anyone feels I have and agenda, so be it.
** added later: Mods cannot police each post in each thread. There will be stuff that deserves deletion but it will left over. Speaking as an individual, yes I will miss opportunities of moderating people/posts. If someone feels that because I moderated opinion X and not opinion Y, then I must have an agenda, then so be it. :)
I will warn/ban any user be it an oldie or ex-mod or whatever, if I feel they have done something that deserves it. If anyone feels I have any personal grudges, so be it.

This feedback forum is here for any user complaints, :(( s and whines as well.
Now if I go overboard, other moderators are watching and so is Jagan. I don't think they will lose a moment in telling me to chill, and if I "disagree", I expect them to tell me to get the heck out of here. Good. That is how it should be.
So please continue your long winded discussion about yada yada.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Good.

The same way I used to feel, but I warned less than others and banned none! Much maligned that I am, statistics would prove itself! I concede I was and am brusque!

I agree that for a Moderator it is very frustrating to decide and take all along!

Do it and you are damned, don't do it it you are damned!

Moderation is a very lonely job!
Last edited by RayC on 06 Jan 2010 21:36, edited 3 times in total.
Ashok Sarraff
BRFite

Post by Ashok Sarraff »

Mods, a serious suggestion.

How about starting a new thread. It can be called one of the following:

- Secularism khatarein mein hai (on BRF)
- Secular corner (on BRF)
- Secular rona dhona

Only the born “seculars” and the born-again “seculars” should participate and moderate that thread. In other words, it should be the exclusive island of peace and tranquility for the “seculars” on BRF.

Two conditions should apply:

- Brihaspati and his 12 apostles should not post on that thread
- Only 50 yrs. and above will be able to post because the young generation is too “hindootvawaadi”

These conditions will keep the proposed secular thread pure and pious and uncontaminated by the harmful influence of the khaki chaddiwalas. Ofcourse, the pink chaddiwalas will feel at home there. All the “seculars” can then comfortably bemoan the sad “demise” of “secularism” on BRF and reminisce about the golden age when the “secularists” ruled, educated, and disciplined the dirty “hindootvawaadis”.

Of course, the “seculars” know the best. If you don’t agree with them or question their premise, you are dirty “hindootvawaadi”.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

HariC wrote:
ldev wrote:RayC,

Rest easy. Your legacy is secure.
Arent you the same guy who went rhona and dhona at Mavericks blog. While your friends over there were going gaga calling the members and moderators on BRF names, what were you doing? If i remember, shiv was still a moderator then and he was called "Mega BC" by your buddy Alok. I sure do hope you jumped to shiv's defence then and proved how upright and a honest person you are.
I dont think I have gone rhona dhona at Mav's blog. I have posted comments at Mav's blog which I could have also posted here. You are right that some ex-BRF members have called BRF mods names there. I have had some offline contact with those folks as well. To the best of my knowledge there has been some reconciliation there. I was not a party to either the rift or the reconciliation. Sometimes time is the best healer and sometimes reconciliations are best done out of the glare of public posturing and posting on public blogs/forums. All of this has nothing to do with whether I am honest or upright. I try to be. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I may fail. That blog is a separate entity and I have never made references to it here. The only reason I am doing now is responding to what I feel is incomplete knowledge on your part.

Added later:
By the way since you mention Alok, isnt it ironic that Alok and I were on opposite sides of that great debate on religion here on BRF before he was asked to leave. I was also opposed to Shiv's viewpoint then. And yet today I respect both of these folks, both of them for great knowlege in two very different areas. Should tell you that religion is not that great divide that some people imagine that it is.
Last edited by ldev on 06 Jan 2010 22:31, edited 2 times in total.
ldev
BRF Oldie

Post by ldev »

Archan,

Thanks for that clear set of rules of engagement.

As Shiv has posted in one of his posts, the unbiased view of mods took a severe beating in the nuclear series of threads. In my eyes that taint has been around since then. One never knew as to whether the mods were unbiased or not in any thread since that unsavoury episode . That is why there have been misgivings on my part.

Hopefully this new years resolution of the moderators will be implemented impartially.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

="shiv :rotfl: I certainly got a lot of people eating out of my hands didn't I? It was lapped up like free chocolate milk shake by an audience that wasn't able to say all the lousy things they believed about Islam. In fact If they were not archived on here I could send them to you on email. I have them archived. The first thread was "Inside the mind of the Mullah"

Just because I made those statements at that time does not mean that I should not say what I am saying now. There is no contradiction. I felt no hate at that time in what I believe were clinical and well thought out posts dissecting Islamism and Islamic extremism and Islam and Muslims and the Muslim psyche. Everyone cheered me on and egged me on. That is archived too. The only posts of mine that were hotly debated and beaten down were when I started talking Hindu psyche. Those are archived in the religion thread if you care to look. Once again my comments about Hindus will get beaten down. Everyone is happy when I dissect Muslims. Everyone gets his chaddis in a twist when I dissect Hindus. Cognitive dissonance. I am certain to do that eventually. At a time and place of my choosing.

What I write now is equally well thought out. Nothing I have said on this thread is not true of BRF. Nothing I said about Islam is not true either.

Where's the problem?
[/quote]
Shiv sir Ji,
If i may , you being a senior Guru, the problem is of intention, of being straighforward and honest with members here and not use BR for piskological experiment with assuming yourself sitting in some kind of pedestal and toying with Rakshaks and using them as experimental pigs. I can go on but how do you know that same game might have been played on you . Being truthful to yourself and others here is very important as otherwise there is no need for debate, discussion etc to learn or teach (Impression i have now is that you being on such elevated level need neither of these )
Last edited by Prem on 06 Jan 2010 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

addendum:
** added later: Mods cannot police each post in each thread. There will be stuff that deserves deletion but it will left over. Speaking as an individual, yes I will miss opportunities of moderating people/posts. If someone feels that because I moderated opinion X and not opinion Y, then I must have an agenda, then so be it.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I suggest that it is because those discussions did not cause you or anyone else discomfort enough to protest then but what I am saying now is causing discomfort. Driving out Muslims was fine and dandy. Accommodating them is the problem.
The archives are there, so please do search and see if I have participated in those threads. I try to keep out of religion based threads, because it is a personal issue. Anyone with a any sense would understand that there are 15 crore Muslims in India, and there is no wishing them or "driving them" away. It is not possible. If this is true, then accomodation and equal rights automatically follow... khair, this is OT for now.

Shiv saab, I am just a follower of your posts. I recall your following reaction to the "group of people" who spoke out for or against Santhanam (cant recall which it was.. so confusing). Your reaction was the same as mine is now on this thread... You said and I quote: "What were all these worthies doing then?".... A similar situation applies here me thinks, especially since you may have been a mod.

Unless of course, this is all a piskology experiment for you, where you lead a group of posters down a certain ideology, then have a merry laugh, and proceed to do the same on the opposing view point to see how things go.

Either ways, no takleef for me, I have no bone to pick in either the nuclear or the islamism threads. I am a true Nukkad-wasi... Just spoke because I saw a 180 degree turn around of view point, which is either a sign of being mistaken and having a revelation or sophisticated trolling ...
Last edited by Tanaji on 06 Jan 2010 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

ldev wrote:Archan,

Thanks for that clear set of rules of engagement.

As Shiv has posted in one of his posts, the unbiased view of mods took a severe beating in the nuclear series of threads. In my eyes that taint has been around since then. One never knew as to whether the mods were unbiased or not in any thread since that unsavoury episode . That is why there have been misgivings on my part.

Hopefully this new years resolution of the moderators will be implemented impartially.
Wow...Clear set of rules of engagement?! A mod comes in and says it is pretty much upto him to decide on what he is going to allow and not allow, and to you that constitutes a superior set of rules of engagement than having a clear set of guidelines specified upfront??? What kind of lahori logic is that?

To me, it looks like the mods were taking the right stand all along by reiterating again and again that BR mods are not in the business of drivng the discussions but only to ensure that certain clearly defined rules of engagement are followed. But the moment Shiv came out and argued for a policy of reservation based on people's opinions, I see a U-turn out here and mods going back to a policy where there are going to be no guidelines and it is pretty much upto each mod's inscrutable opinions. Shiv / Ldev, is that what you really want??

Mods- you seem to have no clear conviction on this matter. Why do you bend based on pressure from standard quarters? Much as I respect the occasional nuggets of wisdom that come out of Shiv's highly prolific postings - logic has never been his forte and practically all of the points that he has made can be easily challenged. Why do you, the mods, want to change your convictions and give the impression that a series of verbose posts without any logic to them can make you change tack?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Isn't an ROE right?

At least it has been openly stated! Praise them for honesty.

Any Mod who has exerted has been at the wrong end of the stick of the posters.

What makes you feel that the Mods have been under pressure.

It was always there. Nothing new.

If Shiv logic can be challenged, then who stopped anyone? The problem is that he is smart and one has to be smarter to take him on. I await that day! :rotfl:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

arjun, there is no confusion among mods.

let me re-post the 'rules' from the now locked thread to which all mods agree in general.
BR always has and as far as I can see, always will uphold some RoE. while people are free to hold any views, their posting the same on BR is subject to
a) relevance to BRF e.g politics and religion is not allowed
b) even-handedness and no discrimination in comments on the basis of religion/ethnicity etc etc. you can choose to call it 'secularism' or 'pluralism' or PC-ness. that's not our concern. just that it shouldn't be violated.
NOTE : there is no specific rule against people wanting to call India a hindu-rashtra or a muslim rashtra BUT god/bhagwan/allah save you musharraf if even an iota of bias against any community is detected in your post. :mrgreen:

now please understand what archan says.
if rules have to be applied, they need to be interpreted and that is up to the mods.

got my point ?
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

^^ Ok, got it. Guidelines remain the same. But in the matter of any interpretation of the stated guidelines, the mods opinion is final.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Arjun,
There is nothing new. That policy has been there all along. We do not believe in thought policing, but you have to draw a line somewhere. A person X may come out and say "people of faith Y should be wiped off of the face of this earth". It is his thought. But I will police it, so will other mods. So what goes and what does not go depends on our discretion. There can be no other way, as far as I can see.
Of course there may be a person Z that goes about posting his/her opinions in a very careful, unoffensive manner. Now policing those thoughts gets murky because Z will always come out and say "I did not mean that, you take it too literally" and the mod will be engaged in a long pointless discussion with Z. There will be many other users who will vouch for Z. The mods are not clairvoyant to see what was exactly meant. At some point, the mod will put his foot down and say "no more".
In fact a lot of the takleef here is just that. It seems that some people feel that some other person(s) are not being stopped from posting their thoughts and hence the mods are biased. Now I say, think what you want. Nothing that we will do will change it. If we start going by what you like, then there will be others doing the same thing as you are doing i.e. accuse us of being biased against them and in your favor.
I go by simple policies in moderation. I think simple is good. I let people debate, argue etc. Many times the losing party reports posts and I close those reports with a thought "you got beaten, live with it". Then sometimes those people :((
I usually step in only when
1) basic decency is not being followed - the language usage is deteriorating, there is flaming etc.
2) thread is getting derailed
3) someone is trolling. Again the definition of trolling is subjective and I believe users have to go by the mod's judgment or else there is no point of having a mod.
4) there are "thoughts" and "opinions" being expressed which I don't believe should have a place on BRF, like those of Mr. X above.

Also, I feel that some people here have an inflated sense of what BRF is, how influential it is etc. and by extension they overestimate the impact of their opinion on here and that of others.
Time and again many people have pointed out - this is just an internet forum, relax. BRF is good for a) loads of news and information posted by many many users in all parts of the world, b) perspectives from a few who have deep knowledge in their respective area. Some people argue that a few influential people read BRF. Well, those people probably read a lot of other blogs, sites etc. so what! Some people worry too much about how BRF looks or comes across to others. News for them is, they can do little about it. Some people worry about opinions of some influential person about BRF. I say, as long as you know what you are, don't worry about it. No matter how learned a person is, they can always be ignorant, for no one can know everything.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

With Archan clarifying things CLEARLY now, can we close this issue and also can we please have the Indian Interests thread back. It was a long standing thread, that a few have posted regularly on and did serve a purpose here. Thanks.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

If people are missing it, I will start a new one but please clearly state here point-wise which Indian Interests the thread wishes to focus on. To my mind, the topic is very widespread as there can be tons of things that are in Indian Interests.
Can those who post regularly in there and care for the thread take responsibility of reporting posts that are OT for the thread? I don't want to see another discussion on Jagannathpuri temple, please.
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

Archan: The Indian Interests thread was a catch all thread started by ramanna to focus on high level and other strategic issues from an Indian stand point, which did not have a focused thread. The regular posters, did their part to ensure, it did not get too unwieldy, but the first one to admit that sometimes, got lazy and not report some frivolous posts or ask poster to desist. Thanks.
Last edited by ShauryaT on 07 Jan 2010 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Surya wrote:Tanaji

can you ping me at balaji_b4 at garam hawa
You have mail.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Prem wrote: Shiv sir Ji,
If i may , you being a senior Guru, the problem is of intention, of being straighforward and honest with members here and not use BR for piskological experiment with assuming yourself sitting in some kind of pedestal and toying with Rakshaks and using them as experimental pigs. I can go on but how do you know that same game might have been played on you . Being truthful to yourself and others here is very important as otherwise there is no need for debate, discussion etc to learn or teach (Impression i have now is that you being on such elevated level need neither of these )
Ok Thank you for stating your feelings so well. I understand that you have the feeling that your emotions (or the emotions of other people) have been played with. This is a perfect description of the feeling of being let down, disappointed or "had". But no "games" have been played because it is dead serious. And I believe this topic is perfectly pertinent to BRF and this thread specifically.

You see all people have certain beliefs and biases. As long as a person goes "along the grain" of those biases there is never any difficulty in getting consensus or agreement. For example, if this was actually the Pakistan Rakshak (PR) forum - as long as we (members of this imaginary Pakistan Rakshak forum) were respectful towards Islam but cursed anyone else there would be general agreement at least on the topic of respect towards Islam. Now supposing some guy - say an BRF lurker on Pakistan Rakshak forum started pointing out uncomfortable facts about Islam as was done in the Islamism treads. This would be going against the general consensus of the PR forum and there would be anger and opposition.

This is exactly true of all human beings. They will agree as long as what they hear corresponds to what they believe to be true. If they start hearing things that do not correspond to their beliefs they refuse to believe that or get angry.

One of the things I am asking over here is "How sure are we that our thoughts and beliefs on BRF are exactly right". BRF has had a tendency to praise itself for being ahead of the curve. That means that not only have we reached a comfortable end point where we think we are right (and discarded all propositions that cause us takleef) but we also praise ourselves of being leaders in being right.

There are many uncomfortable facts that can be laid at the door of BRFites and all will cause a degree of anger and many are right even if they cause anger. That is because BRFites are not always right in their consensus - they only get angry when faced with information that goes "against the grain". This is not a special BRFite tendency, it is a human tendency. And this is not a game. we are adults being dead serious here because we actually are seen and heard are have a duty to try and be truthful to ourselves and to the world. Being truthful is not just pointing out uncomfortable facts about Islam and Muslims (which is easy for us) , but also being able to confront and answer uncomfortable questions about ourselves and our own attitudes and beliefs which is much more difficult than dissing Islam.

I believe that we are currently discussing just one of the many uncomfortable facts we will have to confront. And that fact is that on BRF it has been easy to diss Islam and Muslims, but dissing aside Muslims are part and parcel of India and a deeply involved with India and its society and economy. After having thoroughly dissected Islam, it was easy to demonize Muslims and make them an alien race except for a few whom we would "pardon" (at our pleasure) - like Abdul Kalam. But there is a serious problem with this situation - a very serious contradiction.

On BRF Hindus are criticised for being "fooled by Islam" and consensus on BRF is happy with all Hindus who understand Islam a particular way. I will not expand on that because it is OT. Whatever the truth about Islam, Indian Muslims are Indian and even if they do not live anywhere near where some BRFites may live - they certainly live near me and I interact with them every day. All those murderous truths about Islam that I have myself pointed out on these threads do not make the Muslims I meet and interact with demons or practitioners of every word of the Quran as interpreted by me or anyone else.. They are just people who share the same space and the same problems. India has an absolute duty to do what it takes to integrate all its people including Muslims. Indians also have the absolute duty to tell the truth about history. If history makes Islam a demon we still cannot demonise all Muslims. These facts are well recognised and accepted by most people I meet in India, but not on BRF.

And I am not even mentioning BRF's silent consensus attitudes about Christianity and Christians here.

BRF need not be like India or reflect India, but then the name "Bharat Rakshak" becomes moot.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Ashok Sarraff wrote:Mods, a serious suggestion.

How about starting a new thread. It can be called one of the following:

- Secularism khatarein mein hai (on BRF)
- Secular corner (on BRF)
- Secular rona dhona

Only the born “seculars” and the born-again “seculars” should participate and moderate that thread. In other words, it should be the exclusive island of peace and tranquility for the “seculars” on BRF.

Two conditions should apply:

- Brihaspati and his 12 apostles should not post on that thread
- Only 50 yrs. and above will be able to post because the young generation is too “hindootvawaadi”

These conditions will keep the proposed secular thread pure and pious and uncontaminated by the harmful influence of the khaki chaddiwalas. Ofcourse, the pink chaddiwalas will feel at home there. All the “seculars” can then comfortably bemoan the sad “demise” of “secularism” on BRF and reminisce about the golden age when the “secularists” ruled, educated, and disciplined the dirty “hindootvawaadis”.

Of course, the “seculars” know the best. If you don’t agree with them or question their premise, you are dirty “hindootvawaadi”.
This post sounds like a sarcastic taunt. I had reported it last night. The post remains unmoderated. RayC had earlier made similar sarcastic taunts that were deleted. I am presuming that sarcastic taunts such as this one are OK and so here goes, I have a reply for Ashok Sarraffji

Sir I think you have made a good suggestion. In fact I think you have shown your Indic (or is it young Hindootwawadi) penchant for giving away space to someone you don't like - just like India gave away Pakistan.

After all you are asking that a special space be created for seculars over 50 and that young Hindootwawadis will not interfere or enter that space. Yes sir - you are reminding me of how space was given away in 1947 and I am happy that you admit that this is a Hindootwawadi tendency to shove problems away in a separate space and try and forget about them. I respect your right to be a young under 50 Hindootwawadi. May you remain that way forever so that older (and more astute) people who need to carve out any space for themselves will have that space given away voluntarily by young under 50 Hindootwawadis whom you represent so forcefully. It is a pleasure to meet you online sir. I am looking forward to seeing you score more own goals against your own young Hindootwawadi side. :lol:
Last edited by shiv on 07 Jan 2010 07:25, edited 1 time in total.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I think Shiv each one of us can and should speak for himself/herself attributing our thoughts or our impressions on a wide group of audience using BRF as a banner does not help . I don't know about others but fwiw many of the above observations are not true as far as I am concerned .

Infact the issue with subjective topics where everything is discussed based on anecdotal references followed by attempts to reach conclusions by employing one's knowledge of human psyche/psychology is that one can never reach a logical consensus and the topic can be flogged to death for ages by one and all.

Following question is a classic example of the above.
"How sure are we that our thoughts and beliefs on BRF are exactly right" ?
And same is the case with any topic on the lines of "Islamism" ,EJism" or even "Hindutwavadis" people can quote Rig Veda to recent 26/11 incidents and make a point for the topic is vast and abstract enough to guarantee the fact that every post made won't be OT . :mrgreen:
On BRF Hindus are criticised for being "fooled by Islam" and consensus on BRF is happy with all Hindus who understand Islam a particular way
Again a classic case of trying to read into the minds of posters based on few posts made in some remote thread and then making a comment on behalf of BRF .
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

negi wrote: Again a classic case of trying to read into the minds of posters based on few posts made in some remote thread and then making a comment on behalf of BRF .
I accept this criticism as perfectly correct. But what is not mentioned here is the fact that those "few posts" made by a "few posters" in "some remote thread" have become the de facto standard on BRF for the reasons I stated earlier in this thread.

We are coming full circle to how this discussion started.

Sorry to repeat. A positive statement about Hindus always survives on the forum. A positive statement about Muslims or Christians is always challenged. This may seem to you like a " few posts made in some remote thread", but it is the de facto standard on BRF.

Ldev suggested that this de facto standard is because of moderator bias.

I disagree with ldev. This is not moderator bias. It is a BRF blind spot. I have stated my views on this and will continue to state them. You have excluded yourself from all involvement in defining this blind spot and that is fine. But the blind spot still exists s i will demonstrate in days to come.