Defence and Police forces in Indian Cinema

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
atreya
BRFite

Defence and Police forces in Indian Cinema

Post by atreya »

Our Bollywood movies are looked upon as windows to unknown things in this world. You have no idea about life as a heavily taxed villager in British India? Watch Lagaan. Similarly, the general public, having little or no information whatsoever about our defence forces, watch Bollywood movies, and quote them in coffee table discussions. Or worse, they don't quote them....they simply make an assertion, drawing conclusions from movies. But we need to remember that, there are many errors in our great movies too.

The primary error, that I notice amongst movies- ranging from the worst flops to award winning movies- is the portrayal of the pistol. The pistol, shown as the sidearm of police and army personnel, resembles the Beretta 92. Whereas, we know, the Beretta 92 is barely present in India. The primary sidearm is FN 35, which the Bollywood pistols do not resemble. The movie, "1971", starring Manoj Bajpai, though shows the FN-35.
A clear example of this pistol error is the movie "Shaurya". Rahul Bose's character says at one point CLEARLY. "XYZ had a Beretta 92". Who in Indian Army carries a Beretta 92 as his sidearm?

"Tango Charlie" is another error fraught military movie. Having not seen the movie for long, I fail to recall the many errors I spotted. I can remember one, though. The character of Bobby Deol was a BSF jawan. His unit was called to help in breaking the Gujarat riots, and they fire live rounds into the mob. I do not recall the BSF firing at mobs in Gujarat during the 2002 riots. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Of course, there is the movie Major Saab. As abhishekm pointed out in his post, it shows Amitabh Bachchan sporting a beard, when all members of the Indian Amry (except Sikhs, of course) are required to be clean shaven.
I now open the thread for discussion. Feel free to point out ANY errors in all kinds of movies, serials, etc. Perhaps, we may even learn of OUR mistakes!
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re: Discussion on errors in Bollywood military and police movies

Post by RayC »

I love the errors.

It gives me a great laugh.

Heroes with ASC cap badged with infantry shoulder titles!

And their salutes with the backside perked to the rear and clicking heels like the Gestapo!
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Re: Tracking Errors in Bollywood Military and Police movies

Post by Jagan »

Thread shouldnt really be about thrashing movies. IF the movies got it right and you are impressed, then they should get mentioned too.

For example, here is my take on the classic Sangam from many years ago (like 10?).

http://www.warbirds.in/features/242-wif-sangam.html
Raj Kapoor, the producer and director of the movie Sangam is hailed as one of the great directors in Indian Movie industry. This 1964 Movie , produced, directed and edited by Raj Kapoor in 1964, was his first film in color, and was also the first film which had a brief background of the Indian Air Force and contains much footage of IAF aircraft in color from the 1960s. What stands out in this movie is an unusual and unmistakable attention to detail. The film is basically a love triangle plot, with one of the actors playing the role of an IAF pilot who goes MIA during the India- China War of 1962.

Canberras lined up .
Pilot and Navigator board the Canberra

Raj Kapoor plays a Canberra Pilot who volunteers for a supply drop mission in a Dakota, and gets shot down during the mission. he goes "MIA" and is also awarded the Param Vir Chakra posthumously (a takeoff on the "Posthumous" PVC awarded to Maj D S Thapa, who also went MIA during the 1962 War, and subsequently turned up as a POW with the Chinese).

The movie has great footage of Canberras on the ramp, taking off, Dakotas at a forward airfield and footage of Dakota on the illfated supply drop. With good effects of AA Fire thrown in, the war footage of the movie comes out the best for its time. More authentic than the Nineties hit "Border".

A Memorable shot during in the movie was "In your face" footage of a Canberra taking off, the pilot waves thru the cockpit at the camera as the sleek silver bomber roars down the runway to takeoff into the blue skies. The distinctive features of the bomber can be clearly seen. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only existing footage of the Canberras in the 60s available in Color.

The Mission:
When Raj Kapoor produced the movie in 1964, the only contemporary conflict that independent india had fought in was the 1962 Indo China War, and the Indian Air Force never used its combat arms in this war. A Stickler for accuracy, the war situation potrays a situation from that short but bloody conflict.

Great shots of Dakota HJ220 at a forward base, taking off and flying the supply mission. The pilot orders the crew to bale out after the aircraft after getting hit by AA fire and continues the supply drop. but before the pilot could complete the supply drop, the Dakota flies into a low mountain and blows up .

The first temptation for someone producing a "Top Gun" movie would be to have Gnat Vs Sabres Air Combat scenarios. If no conflict had occurred, the temptation would be to create a fictious one. However fortunately this did not happen with this movie.

Also used in this particular movie was the Republic Day Rehearsal to shoot the award of the Param Vir Chakra Scene.

Uniforms: Another aspect of the movie is it gives a colorful glimpse behind the various uniforms worn during the 60s. Closely following the RAF Uniforms Pattern during World War Two. Seen from L to R is actor Raj Kapoor wearing the Winter Uniform, Canberra flying Uniform, Transport Pilots flying suit and Summer working uniform.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Could the thread name be shortened please?
eg: Bollywood errors: Military and Police
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

While I mean no disrespect to the Army, the story of "Border" that purports to tell the story of the Battle of Longewala - is largely fiction.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

shiv wrote:While I mean no disrespect to the Army, the story of "Border" that purports to tell the story of the Battle of Longewala - is largely fiction.
Shiv, for the uninitiated like me, would you like to elaborate your claim a little further please?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Dmurphy wrote:
shiv wrote:While I mean no disrespect to the Army, the story of "Border" that purports to tell the story of the Battle of Longewala - is largely fiction.
Shiv, for the uninitiated like me, would you like to elaborate your claim a little further please?
You need to have seen "Border" in the first place - which I am assuming you have done. Unlike the movie - that actual defeat of the thrust was done by the Air Force and not a largely land battle as dramatically depicted in "Border"

Here is Wiki on "Border"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_(1997_film)

The real story is summed up in three accounts on BR -one by Air Marshal Bawa himself
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... ewala.html

Another by Wingco Suresh (my late cousin who first recounted the battle to me as a schoolboy in early 1972, on his first home leave after the war)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... uresh.html

Jagan has reviewed an official video (on SRR) - which is a very good one featuring interviews "Hunters at Dawn"
http://www.adl.gatech.edu/research/brms ... Avq-i82j-w

The Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Longewala

Last and least - my own YouTube video that uses the above sources
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fy3XLnWsok
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Bollywood Errors : Military and Police

Post by shiv »

Anyone recall "Hindustan ki Kasam"?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:
The real story is summed up in three accounts on BR -one by Air Marshal Bawa himself
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... ewala.html

Another by Wingco Suresh (my late cousin who first recounted the battle to me as a schoolboy in early 1972, on his first home leave after the war)
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Histo ... uresh.html

Jagan has reviewed an official video (on SRR) - which is a very good one featuring interviews "Hunters at Dawn"
http://www.adl.gatech.edu/research/brms ... 010803.pdf
and this discussion from BRF many many years ago
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=14&t=389
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The most funny are the el cheapo movies of the 80s.
The ones with Mithun-da, Dharmender and Shatrughan sinha.

I remember one particular one - I forget the name, where shatrughan sinha is supposedly a captain or a major.
His uniform is that of a General! :rotfl:

The other caricature that bollywood is guilty of engraving in the aam junta's minds is that of a reitred military officer. According to bollywood they all have thick moustaches, wear a coat suit and a cap, and have a propensity for saying "Bloody Civilians" at the drop of a hat.
Also they are shown to enjoy their drink, and generally be the good samaritan around the block.

When my dad retired, I could see that the civilians had that image in their minds. Their hesitant interactions with dad used to be along those lines. :rotfl:
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

BTW I've located longewala on Google Earth, but can't find the exact dune / spot where the battle took place. The tank tracks are all gone now, google earth resolution does not show any of those destroyed tanks either.
There's supposed to be a memorial and a museum with a sound and light show there.

If it is possible and is unclassified to do so, I would like to undertake a project where the locations of all major battles of the Indian army be depicted on google earth. If possible all the PVC winners, and major routes of ingress of the enemy and the stand taken by our own forces.

I have the locations of many places marked out where PVC awardees participated in their epic battles.

But I need help if I am to identify where exactly the positions were. Maps detailed accounts will be most helpful.

google earth has recently improved the resolutions across the board in J&K, NEstates, Punjab and Rajasthan, where it is possible to identify features and camps. so I feel it would be a wonderful thing to do.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

gagan you got mail.

A thread "Mapping India's Battles on Google Earth" may work if we have sufficient volume

So as not to make this post an offtopic one - here is NTR as a very fat Subhash Chandra Bose
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3974479402# @ 4.20 min
(Sufficient reason for West Bengal to declare war on Andhra Pradesh I guess) :)

This was a comeback film for him "Major Chandrakanth" IIRC he was a Major in the ARmy who went around wearing a Generals cap with red band and the generals head gear badge. But hey this is from the land where NTR also played Superman, so dont be surprised.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

I think the movie "1971" depicts the army very accurately.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

atreya wrote:I think the movie "1971" depicts the army very accurately.
I remember it mostly to be a POW type movie. Was there any regular army scenes in it?

The movie was a hash of all the great escape + chucknorris missing in action stories one can remember.

Wasnt Amitabh in it as well? or was that some other movie?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Jagan wrote:gagan you got mail.
Thanks a ton Jagan saar, will go through this and get back to you.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Anyone watch Tehelka? It is a must watch for all jingos. There are a lot of gems in this movie. But the one I liked the most is the new light tank used to assault the 'Chinese' positions in the Himalayas. After seeing this, I dont know why the IA is looking any further for imported tanks. Talk about ignoring our indigenous efforts.

Image courtesy: Link.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Jagan wrote:
atreya wrote:I think the movie "1971" depicts the army very accurately.
I remember it mostly to be a POW type movie. Was there any regular army scenes in it?

The movie was a hash of all the great escape + chucknorris missing in action stories one can remember.

Wasnt Amitabh in it as well? or was that some other movie?
Yes, its a POW movie. But it isn't an Amitabh Bachchan starrer. THAT movie is Deewar, or something like that. Which was a "hash of all the great escape + chucknorris missing in action stories", as you so aptly described! :D :)
1971 is a really nice story, with great acting, by Manoj Bajpai. Very realistic.

Another movie "Main Hoon Na". A Major of regular army is sent on an undercover operation to protect the daughter of his CO :shock: . Pretty unrealistic, don't you think?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

atreya wrote:
Yes, its a POW movie. But it isn't an Amitabh Bachchan starrer. THAT movie is Deewar, or something like that. Which was a "hash of all the great escape + chucknorris missing in action stories", as you so aptly described! :D :)
1971 is a really nice story, with great acting, by Manoj Bajpai. Very realistic.

Another movie "Main Hoon Na". A Major of regular army is sent on an undercover operation to protect the daughter of his CO :shock: . Pretty unrealistic, don't you think?
Deewaar!.. Yeah, my head hurt so much by the end :D

thanks for the correction, I will try and look up 1971.
kittoo
BRFite

Post by kittoo »

Jagan wrote:
atreya wrote:

Deewaar!.. Yeah, my head hurt so much by the end :D

thanks for the correction, I will try and look up 1971.
You must watch it Jagan. Its an excellent movie indeed.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

WHAT ? all these discussions about bollywood war movies and sunny deol is absent in discussions ? who can forget him taking on the entire TSPA in numerous movies, again and again ! :eek: didn't he throw a car at a paki soldier in some movie ? :lol:

a comment from a friend about JP Dutt's LOC.
why did LOC have 20 odd heroes ?
because it didn't have sunny deol.

my question, why does bollywood think that the sterling submachine gun is the ultimate small arms of all ?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

lakshya was pretty good and conveyed a sense of the mountains
LOC was good, but the battle scenes were totally rubbish
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The problem with Lakshya - apart form it being the most brilliant Indian war movie to date is that the director didn't allow amitabh to enter the battle.

He would have made the pakis run jump off the icy heights of Drass by his dialogue delivery

At least this is how I explained this to my uninitiated langotia friends (The types who went to the movie expecting Govinda style naach gaana and el cheapo jokes) Though everyone enjoyed the "Main Aisa Kyon Hoon" number.

I am sure there's no dearth of bad desi war movies, but I rate Lakshya as the best. No ranting and raving, to the point, sensitive everything real life like.

I've seen Lakshya like two dozen times. I own 4 copies of that movie.
Last edited by Gagan on 10 Jan 2010 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Does any one recall watching "Daag: The fire" ?

I remember Sanjay Dutt is shown as some Para-Rambo figure who smashes a huge terrorist complex which looks more like a Holiday resort, complete with concrete cottages with red roofs!

IIRC, Sanjay Dutt's dad killed and he walks into a police station in his typical half drugged avatar, bangs his hand on the inspector's table demanding attention because he's "Captain...Commando Force...Indian Army" :mrgreen:
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

atreya wrote:Rahul Bose's character says at one point CLEARLY. "XYZ had a Beretta 92". Who in Indian Army carries a Beretta 92 as his sidearm?... Perhaps, we may even learn of OUR mistakes!
Certain armored regiments imported a number of Beretta 92s; others may have ordered similar small batches as well. Other than OFB FN35/Inglis there are also CZ-75s and Glock-17s. Mysterious are they ways of the Army. :P Some random video from J&K with -92s in use:
Last edited by ParGha on 10 Jan 2010 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The best phucking scene in Main Hoon Na is the one where SRK takes the cycle rickshaw and takes out the escaping goons.

Ya'arrah the whistles that reverberated through the hall from the front bencher crowd. :eek:

Another great movie, but not fauji stuff strictly was Bobby deol's "Soldier" with the delectable Preity Zinta for eye candy.

I and a friend had the honor of managing to get tickets on the first day with all the first day first show front bencher junta. I kid you not - people were literally tearing their hair off their heads on this masterpiece - every song every bobby paa'ji's move was commented upon. :rotfl:

PS: If you go to punjab, Dharamendra, Sunny and Bobby deol are as big as Rajnikant is down south. People talk of them as if they were langotia yaars
The common refrain is: "Dharam phaa'ji, Sunny phaa'ji, Bobby phaa'ji" :rotfl:
Its like " main sunny paa'ji di movie dekh ke aa raha hoon"
Last edited by Gagan on 11 Jan 2010 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

well sunny paaji deserves a thread all to himself. but not in this forum.
may be we can start a rajnikant + sunny paaji + prosenjit+ mithun da combo thread in GDF ? :P
The best phucking scene in Main Hoon Na is the one where SRK takes the cycle rickshaw and takes out the escaping goons.
holly %^&* ! the cycle ricksaw even had 'dhanno' written on its behind. :lol:

SRK being a commando was fit enough to chase a car in a cycle rickshaw ! :eek:
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Gagan wrote:
Another great movie, but not fauji stuff strictly was Bobby deol's "Commando" with the delectable Preity Zinta for eye candy.

I and a friend had the honor of managing to get tickets on the first day with all the first day first show front bencher junta. I kid you not - people were literally tearing their hair off their heads on this masterpiece - every song every bobby paa'ji's move was commented upon. :rotfl:
IIRC it was 'Soldier' and not "Commando"

Regards,
Kiran
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Sorry sorry,
Soldier it was. (Soldier soldier - tere sar pe boulder...)
Last OT post. :)
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Gagan wrote:The problem with Lakshya - apart form it being the most brilliant Indian war movie to date.....
Yes.. Especially the small arms spewing tracer rounds every 4th or 5th round of fire. Also the time lag between mortar rounds. All of this being in reality. The scene of anti-personnel mortar cutting people with shrapnel was pretty real. You need to watch the movie a few times to really appreciate the fight scenes and how close to reality they are.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Are the magazines for night time warfare built so that there is a tracer round after every 3-4-5 bullets or so?

:eek:

Can't imagine that level of sophistry in war fighting.

Are tracer rounds also visible to the enemy if the bullet is coming towards them?
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Gagan wrote:Are the magazines for night time warfare built so that there is a tracer round after every 3-4-5 bullets or so?

Are tracer rounds also visible to the enemy if the bullet is coming towards them?
IIRC tracers are mainly for MMGs and HMGs. Dont know about rifles and SMGs. And yup even the enemy will be able to see from they are coming. Tracers are mainly for enhancing the aim at night.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

ParGha wrote:
atreya wrote:Rahul Bose's character says at one point CLEARLY. "XYZ had a Beretta 92". Who in Indian Army carries a Beretta 92 as his sidearm?... Perhaps, we may even learn of OUR mistakes!
Certain armored regiments imported a number of Beretta 92s; others may have ordered similar small batches as well. Other than OFB FN35/Inglis there are also CZ-75s and Glock-17s. Mysterious are they ways of the Army. :P
I stand corrected, then! But still, I feel, that movies depict the Beretta 92 as the standard sidearm, out of sheer ignorance. After all, who would pay attention to the name and make of the pistol, when the hero is shooting 50 villains with 1 magazine!! :shock:
PS: In the video, what is happening at 0:16 (the gun isn't firing) and 0:54 is funny (poora khaali karo, pakad ke rakho!! :rotfl: )
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I think apart from Sangam another movie which had characters who did justice to a service personnel's portryal was 'Vijeyta' . Amrish Puri played the role of an IAF fighter pilot instructor very convincingly . Nice simple movie without any dancing around the tree sequences.

J.P. Dutta might have had right intentions while making L.O.C Kargil but I have to admit it was a huge disappointment , what was he thinking when he roped in more than half a dozen hero-heroine pairs with a song and dance sequence for each one of them . :roll:

I can appreciate the Gun-Ho approach for making movies based on services which are based on 'fictitious' plot/storyline , however LOC Kargil type embarrassments should be avoided. :oops:
Surya
BRF Oldie

Re: Defence and Police forces in Indian Cinema

Post by Surya »

The only negatives in Vijeta were the war scenes

It was basically trying to show a Longewala with mig 21s

And the tanks charging as if they are in some race and the same scene of a dummy explosive going in front of the tank and spraying dirt.

But the training etc - very realistic

Then of course we had Prahaar
Mayuresh
BRFite

Post by Mayuresh »

In Border, towards the end of the battle when the tanks were being taken out by Hunter aircraft, most of the time, entire tanks (turret, hull, gun, tracks, etc. all intact) are thrown into the air to quite a reasonable height when being shot down by the hunter aircraft . This is not possible at all!

An aircraft hitting a tank with an A-G weapon can never throw the tank up towards the sky. The tank will burst open on all sides at the max. For a tank to be thrown up, the explosion has to occur exactly at the base of the tank. How a weapon fired from the air manages to go to the base of the tank without destroying the turret / hull or any other part is a mystery!

Most probably, to simulate the weapon hitting the tank, the film-makers exploded dynamite under the tank and that caused it to fly in the air. This was extremely dramatic on camera and passed as an Hunter A-G strike to fool gullible cinema watchers!
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Rang de Basanti anybody ?? :wink: :wink:
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

KrishG wrote:Rang de Basanti anybody ?? :wink: :wink:
Seeing the rotund Madhavan as a MiG-21 pilot, I couldn't help wonder if he would even fit in the cockpit. :lol:

Btw, anyone remember 'Salaami' a movie from mid 90's. It was the introduction for Ayub Khan. He plays an IMA cadet getting cross with some corrupt police dept officials. Kabir Bedi as the IMA instructor with his full beard was predated AB in Major Saab. Had some good footage of the IMA training. The only good scene IMO was when Kabir Bedi comes with charges to have Ayub Khan released from jail.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Gagan wrote:Are the magazines for night time warfare built so that there is a tracer round after every 3-4-5 bullets or so?

When it comes to magazines and small arms, it is the end user that loads them with whatever they need. For instance, US 5.56x45 mm. ammo has M855 which is the regular round and M856 which is the tracer round. Matter of fact, they tinkered with the # of twists in the M-16A2's barrel specifically to accommodate the M856 tracer round and it is not advisable to fire this round with an original M16A1 i.e. the Mark 1 version, unless in an extreme emergency. Whether it is every 3, 4, 5 or 6 bullets depends on the end-user's personal preferences.

Marine corps wisdom states, "tracers work both ways" i.e. if you're shooting a tracer at them, they know where you are as well. There was some development a few years ago that used a LED light source at the base of the bullet so it would only be visible to the shooter. Additional advantage of this was that the bullet would retain its mass throughout its flight unlike conventional tracers that lose mass as they fly in the air. Don't know how ready it is for mass production though and how far it would be visible.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Surya wrote:The only negatives in Vijeta were the war scenes. It was basically trying to show a Longewala with mig 21s

And the tanks charging as if they are in some race and the same scene of a dummy explosive going in front of the tank and spraying dirt.

But the training etc - very realistic
Still, it was pretty good - and accurate. No romantic crap, no dialogue-baazi.. it was cut and dry. but certainly not bollywood style.

And at least Shashi Kapoor used real tanks with dummy explosive in front. not the plywood ad canvas tanks in border (if you look closely - one of em turns out to be that while exploding).

For commenting on the accuracy of uniforms , I can bifuricate movies into two - those with official support and those without. the ones with official support seem pretty much accurate in their depiction. The ones without official support usually have majors prancing around in general's uniforms.

I agree Lakshya was pretty good, with lots of action being restriained and not over the top. Didnt they import a phoren guy to do the action direction? probably explains why they didnt fall for the bollywood razzle dazzle.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

ArmenT wrote:Marine corps wisdom states, "tracers work both ways" i.e. if you're shooting a tracer at them, they know where you are as well. There was some development a few years ago that used a LED light source at the base of the bullet so it would only be visible to the shooter. Additional advantage of this was that the bullet would retain its mass throughout its flight unlike conventional tracers that lose mass as they fly in the air. Don't know how ready it is for mass production though and how far it would be visible.
I remember reading about delayed action tracers in order to avoid tracing both ways. Dont know if that was ever implemented.