Telangana Monitor

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Re: Telangana Monitor

Post by RamaY »

Thank you Satya-Anveshi garu.

Your explanation helps!

Next time when you interact with your folks, pls check if they feel same (sense of) entitlement on entire Andhra Pradesh state (like they feel about India) instead of just Telangana region, and why.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

RamaY wrote:Thank you Satya-Anveshi garu.

Your explanation helps!

Next time when you interact with your folks, pls check if they feel same (sense of) entitlement on entire Andhra Pradesh state (like they feel about India) instead of just Telangana region, and why.
here is my view, people feel a sense of entitlement towards anything if they benefit from it materially, emotionally or spiritually. It does not look like they have this feeling left in significant amounts towards united andhra. This cannot be compared to their sense of entitlement on India - it is still looked upon to protect interests and from external enemy.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

RamaY wrote:
ramana wrote:The hostels were not limited to particular groups. In the late sixties the groups were from all classes. The common thread was the political backing they all had. Some of the stalwarts were latter involved in the campus civil wars of mid 70s.
The ABVP leader "Chandra" got killed by Maoists :( 5-6 years ago was my batch mate. I left OU campus in 1993.
Errr. Chandra Reddy? :lol: I know him, almost got into a fight (Its good that I didnt - because that guy was no angel - the possiblity of getting ambushed in some dark alley was always high).

I wasnt surprised when he got killed - you know the saying - those who live by the sword die by the sword...
Satya_anveshi wrote:The things that Sarma garu earlier said about OU hostels being den of criminals is very true. ... This type of movement is a god given opportunity to jack up their earnings and prominence.
sigh.. nostalgic .. the potential for conflict among students was enormous - as we used to say, it will be englishmedium vs non english medium, hostellrs vs non hostellers, morning vs evening college, _____ (your favourte caste/ religion )vs _______ (your least favourtie caste / religion) , Management vs Commerce, A Section vs B Section, Seniors vs Juniors, ABVP vs non ABVP... now telengana vs non-telengana . it goes on and on.. :mrgreen:
Sarma
BRFite

Post by Sarma »

Lagadapati Rajagopal has just announced in Visakhapatnam that he has copies of KCR's medical reports for the duration of his "fast" in NIMS. He says that he will expose the farcical nature of this fast through these reports. Sorry for KCR that he resigned his MP seat and won't be able to defend himself when Lagadapati exposes his bogus drama.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Jagan-ji

Yes, the same guy! He did MCom when I was doing my masters in the campus. I don't know him well except a couple of casual encounters. I am a sada-sida guy 8)
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

My view is that smaller states would make better India. One may argue against it or far it. I have visited Telangana region and have done studies in 2004-5 among the people. If you go back and see some of earlier posts I have highlighted some videos and other arguments in favour of my points.

Why is everyone scared of small states?
http://news.rediff.com/column/2009/dec/ ... states.htm
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

RamaY wrote:He did MCom when I was doing my masters in the campus. I don't know him well except a couple of casual encounters. I am a sada-sida guy
he was still hanging around with the MComm juniors (at OUCCBM) (I was in the MBA downstairs) during my time in 94-96, rabble rousing where possible (hence the reference to the Commerce Vs (Business) Management factional conflicts). About an year after I passed out - he was bumped off in March 97 by the RSU .
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Jagan wrote:
RamaY wrote:He did MCom when I was doing my masters in the campus. I don't know him well except a couple of casual encounters. I am a sada-sida guy
he was still hanging around with the MComm juniors (at OUCCBM) (I was in the MBA downstairs) during my time in 94-96, rabble rousing where possible (hence the reference to the Commerce Vs (Business) Management factional conflicts). About an year after I passed out - he was bumped off in March 97 by the RSU .
You were in 94-96 batch :D I did misca there in 93-94. worald is very small andi for two people (Kamal Hasan in sati lilavati) :wink:
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

joshvajohn wrote:My view is that smaller states would make better India. One may argue against it or far it. I have visited Telangana region and have done studies in 2004-5 among the people. If you go back and see some of earlier posts I have highlighted some videos and other arguments in favour of my points.

This is a valid argument JoshvaJohn garu. However the criteria used for that has to be purposeful (for India), scientific in analysis, rational in approach, and universal in application.

Is it purposeful for India?
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

I think decentralization is one of the factor to make India as a nation stronger. We need to allow the power centres to be decentralized. If the states are smaller it is easy to administer and bring about development in areas where it is not given much importance. Ofcourse I understand the difficulties in allowing decentralizations and possibly divisions of states which are often linked with a few idenitities particularly linguistic identity. Again one may also argue that will the division of states lead to decentralization of power centres and will it automatically bring about development? These are frank questions. But People do not feel comfortable when they are told that there is no infrastructure in your region, there is no resource in your place and so on. If development in different regions within a state is not balanced or the state government is not able to focus on those regions that are underdeveloped, it means the bigger states can no more exist in terms of administration as the state governments could not give enough time and energy for those regions and so there is a demand for separation. In the case of UP Mayawathi has accepted the fact that it is impossible to administer such a big state and so it is better to divide it.

Division of states is for growth and stability and for sharing power. I do not disagree that there can be a possibility of manipulation by a few political parties and groups in this regard but India needs decentralization in terms of administration and powersharing. When a particular region wanted to do this by having a separate state we have to try this way.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

RamaY wrote:
joshvajohn wrote:My view is that smaller states would make better India. One may argue against it or far it. I have visited Telangana region and have done studies in 2004-5 among the people. If you go back and see some of earlier posts I have highlighted some videos and other arguments in favour of my points.

This is a valid argument JoshvaJohn garu. However the criteria used for that has to be purposeful (for India), scientific in analysis, rational in approach, and universal in application.

Is it purposeful for India?
Small-state argument sputters when it comes to Telangana. Why Telangana when other combinations of small states can be made and possible. I already mentioned those combinations in earlier pages. This small state argument is somehow is often highlighted in National media as a reasoning for the Telengana and some how not really a concern when local media discussion is concerned.

When half of Hyderabad state didn't want to be separate, why Telugu area had an issue. When you think about it, it only leads to that post Nizam, Doras thought they were logical inheritors of the Hyderabad. When other areas wanted to join their mother states, Telengana Doras thought to be lucky that claimants got halved. Of course Maoist interests is later phenomenon that want to seperate state for Telengana for their own self interest.

If there needs to be a small state why not Northern Telengana portion with Capitol in Adilabad dist leaving the border districts and Hyderabad and RR to AP.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Satya_anveshi wrote:
RamaY wrote:In your opinion, how bad is this anti-Andhra feeling? Is it a strategy to get separate Telangana state or is it Telangana-state agnostic?
RamaY garu,

I don't think you can all it anti-andhra feeling rather a pro-telangana feeling. We have not heard of one (not even australia type of incidents) happening to andhra people in ANY part of Telangana. If we review history of voilence in the region I think only two types of incidents look prominent:

1. Pre-NTR, communal voilence in Hyd - we now know that this is INC/BJP triggered voilence to segregate and consolidate votes along communal lines.
2. Naxal - I don't even know what they wanted/want now - perhaps further land reforms. This fight was against law enforement people.

I don't know how it was in 1969 agitation but want to learn if there was any targeted voilence or hatred against andhras.

On the contrary, most are actually growing and controlling things. It could be the perception that WE could have grown better if we had control of our governance, I could be having a job, WHY should someone give me what I already have type of feelings. When you have a collective identity, you try to stick with it and difficult to come out of.
This is true and that is the reason for asking the members to be not paranoid. All my family is in Hyderabad and I have both Andhra and Telangana relatives in interior Telangana regions like Hanumakonda, Jagityal and Siddipet. There is no violence against people from Andhra. There is no such thing as tension too. The folks at work places also joke about each other's movements and do argue very passionately and I guess that's it. There will fringes on either side and that is expected.

However, in OU there is a lot of heckling against Andhra folks apart from the organized violence.

Regarding 1969, my information is based on what my dad and others say because I am not born yet. As per them the folks from non-Telangana regions are not as much as we have now. Violence did happen. But the movement and violence was supressed brutally. The wounds were there on the Telangana psyche was there for long time for the police and admin brutality.

Hope such a situation of violence and suppression never comes. With substantian number of folks from everywhere living even in cities like Warangal, it will be ugly. I do not expect any such situations.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

joshvajohn wrote: I think decentralization is one of the factor to make India as a nation stronger. We need to allow the power centres to be decentralized. If the states are smaller it is easy to administer and bring about development in areas where it is not given much importance. ...
Why only small states? Why can't we delegate more power/authority to states (from centre) and to districts (from states) etc?

If Mayavathi thinks UP with its >166 million population (see my table in previous page) needs to be split, why this urgency to split AP, which is the 5th largest state with half that population? Is PC comfortable splitting Tamil Nadu, which is 6th largest state?

Is there any comprehensive study that authoritatively concludes that small states bring development and prosperity automatically, irrespective of effective governance and efficient administration?

Kindly present data to support these claims. We have been going thru this POV for quite sometime and we haven't seen any additional data, except the article that PC pulled out of his musharraf?

{Edited: Corrected UP population info}
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

All this issue of Telegana etc has led me to learn more about the Telegu speaking people.

This is an interesting piece and if they are spread so far and wide including Myanmar, then one day that too will become an issue.

Telegu People
Dasari
BRFite

Post by Dasari »

I don't know how small states lead to decentralization of power. All it encourages is weak states with more federalization. It may bring the state governance closer to people but they will not have any resources to implement any meaningful projects for the people. On the other hand applying the smaller states logic selectively will make smaller states absolutely powerless while the bigger states dictate their destiny.

Whether it is larger or smaller state, the process of filtering the power to as small entity as possible already exists in the constitution. Unfortunately, just like federal govt tries keep all the power with them, state governments do the same to districts,mandals and gram panchayats, leaving very little autonomy or self governance.

But let us not obfuscate the current problem with autonomy or self governance. What exists in Telangana is high disparity between the ruling class and the dalits & OBCs. Even though social evils like vetti (slavery) were removed and literacy rates improved, the disparities are still very significant. But here comes Telangana accent to the rescue of these feudal landlords. These elite class talk and write in andhra Telugu accent better than the counter parts in Andhra. In fact there is hardly any Telangana accent left in Hyderabad where most of these elite class live. But the poor and lower class dalits and OBCs in villages are stuck with Telanagan accent. In the eyes of Telangana dalits and OBCs, the disparity between upper and lower class has parallels with accent spoken. However these ruling class of T can masquerade their culpability and associate with Telanagana Dalits and OBCs by switching to Telangana accent. In fact anybody can settle and talk in Telangana accent and claim to be a Telanganite. KCR and Visjayasanthi are few examples. This is how the economic and social inequalities in Telangana were equated to accent differences and the hatred against andhrites was incited.

These economic inequalities are widespread in Andhra too but there is no clear cut attribute that can be applied across any region. Instead the andhra politician is confined to use the time tested differences like caste and religion to divide and exploit people.

If Telangana state forms and once the honeymoon is over the upper and lower class struggle will explode. I don't know what tricks that the upper class doralu will play then. But eventually these tricks will run out. This is where Maoists or hard core left leaning parties will play significant role in the governance of separate Telangana.
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

However, in OU there is a lot of heckling against Andhra folks apart from the organized violence.

Regarding 1969, my information is based on what my dad and others say because I am not born yet. As per them the folks from non-Telangana regions are not as much as we have now. Violence did happen. But the movement and violence was supressed brutally. The wounds were there on the Telangana psyche was there for long time for the police and admin brutality.
My FIL (settled in warangal) tells me that during 1969 agitation some "andhras" were branded similar to buffalo branding. It was a tough time for every one. One of his complaints was in Universities if the Prof. is an Andhraite, then telangana / Rayalaseema students did not score good marks. I guess it worked vice versa.

I do not expect such things this time, for it embarrass to many people around.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

RayC wrote:his is an interesting piece and if they are spread so far and wide including Myanmar, then one day that too will become an issue.
RayC ji,

Not sure it is clear what you mean by the bolded part. Can you clarify?
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

Withdraw Central forces from OU: HC
Hyderabad, Feb. 15: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Monday ordered the state government to withdraw all paramilitary and special forces deployed in the Osmania University campus immediately.

Justice L. Narasimha Reddy criticised the police for its high-handed behaviour in tackling the campus situation and singled out the joint commissioner.

To keep peace in the university, the government should deploy an adequate number of civil police personnel in the university police station, the court said.

They can take care of any untoward incident in OU, and special forces can be deployed with the Vice-Chancellor’s permission only when the situation goes out of control. The court said there were no records of arson, murder or brutal attack at OU. {One needs to prevent things from going out of control in the first place. Once it is out of control, firing in air will not help, firing at the agitators is the only option left}

“If one goes by channel news, one feels the police is determined to enter the campus in thousands without provocation,” said Justice Reddy. “Mostly, troubles start due to unwarranted police reaction.” {He has expressed doubt about the coverage on TV does not even talk to the police, however he concludes that police action was un-warranted}
Hon'ble Mr. Justice L. Narasimha Reddy
Honble Sri Justice L. Narasimha Reddy was born on 1stAugust 1953 in an agricultural family at Gavicherla Village, Warangal District. Had his primary education in the Zilla Parishad High School, Sangam. Studied Intermediate in the Government Junior College, Narsampet. Obtained B.Sc. degree from C.K.M. College, Warangal. Did his Bachelors Degree as well as Masters Degree in Law (International Law) from Osmania University. He was enrolled with the Bar Council of A.P., in February, 1979 and joined the Office of Sri P. Babul Reddy. Remained in the said Office till December 1983, when Sri Babul Reddy gave up the practice, started practicing independently since January 1984 almost exclusively in the High Court of A.P. Conducted several cases on Civil and Constitutional Branches. Functioned as part-time Lecturer in Post Graduate College of Law, Osmania University and took classes for LL.M. International Law Students for a period of one and half years. He has been appointed as Standing Counsel for Osmania University in 1985 and remained so for about two years. He was elected as the Secretary of the A.P High Court Advocate Association in the year 1988-89 and 1989-90. Has written articles on subjects such as Contempt of Court, which was published in the Journals. Is also associated with the Babul Reddy Foundation Trust and is Secretary of the same. He was included in the panel of Advocates to represent High Court in the year 1991 and continued till 1996. He was appointed as Government Pleader for Higher Education in the High Court of A.P. in 1996 and worked for about one year, till resignation in January 1997. Was also Standing Counsel of the Warangal District Coop. Central Bank. He has been appointed as the Senior Central Government Standing Counsel by the Government of India, in the High Court of A.P., in July, 2000. Elevated as Judge of A.P. High Court on 10.9.2001.
I was surprised at the speed, the judgment was given. The newspaper does not report if he heard the police version or their opinion. Given his background, it leaves an element of doubt about his ruling. May he should have recused himself in this case. I am sure the Govt. can appeal on this.

He is same guy who suspended the government orders for closure of schools on Dec 3, 2009. This was peak time for telangana agitation. The govt. appealed to the Chief Justice who threw the ruling by Justice L Narasimha Reddy.

Andhra govt allowed to keep Telangana educational bodies shut
A division bench comprising Chief Justice AR Dave and Justice CV Nagarjuna Reddy gave liberty to the government to continue with the holidays for educational institutions

Earlier in the day, Justice L Narasimha Reddy agreed with the petitioners' contention and suspended the order, prompting the government to approach the division bench.
Court suspends OU order
Hyderabad, Dec. 28: Justice L. Narasimha Reddy of the AP High Court on Monday suspended a circular issued by the vice-chancellor of Osmania University, Prof Tirupathi Rao, for closing hostels and messes of the university for two days. The VC issued a circular closing hostels because of the tensed situation.

The HC issued an interim order during a House Motion moved by the petitioners. The judge posted the matter for further hearing on Thursday.
Last edited by skaranam on 16 Feb 2010 12:08, edited 2 times in total.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

skaranam wrote:Withdraw Central forces from OU: HC
Hyderabad, Feb. 15: The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Monday ordered the state government to withdraw all paramilitary and special forces deployed in the Osmania University campus immediately.

Justice L. Narasimha Reddy criticised the police for its high-handed behaviour in tackling the campus situation and singled out the joint commissioner.

To keep peace in the university, the government should deploy an adequate number of civil police personnel in the university police station, the court said.

They can take care of any untoward incident in OU, and special forces can be deployed with the Vice-Chancellor’s permission only when the situation goes out of control. The court said there were no records of arson, murder or brutal attack at OU. {One needs to prevent things from going out of control in the first place. Once it is out of control, firing in air will not help, firing at the agitators is the only option left}

“If one goes by channel news, one feels the police is determined to enter the campus in thousands without provocation,” said Justice Reddy. “Mostly, troubles start due to unwarranted police reaction.” {He has expressed doubt about the coverage on TV does not even talk to the police, however he concludes that police action was un-warranted}
When there is curfew/section 144, is there restriction that only regular police need to be used but no paramilitary be used.
In curfews I experienced including in the university campus there was at times paramilitary involved. What is special in this case?

Also when there was a curfew that limits group gathering and you had 100s of students protesting and going across campus to outside campus, wasn't it sign of things going out of control needing more force.
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

ShyamSP wrote: When there is curfew/section 144, is there restriction that only regular police need to be used but no paramilitary be used.
In curfews I experienced including in the university campus there was at times paramilitary involved. What is special in this case?

Also when there was a curfew that limits group gathering and you had 100s of students protesting and going across campus to outside campus, wasn't it sign of things going out of control needing more force.
i do not think there is any restriction as who should be implementing it. Some info on it

144. Power to issue order in urgent cases of nuisance or apprehended danger.

About students protesting - it was explained / portrayed as spontaneous. I recall seeing one of the TV panel stating that the avg. education level of protesters in post graduation and that of cops in bachelors or less than that. Of all the students who came, at-least one of them knew about Sec. 144 is in enforcement. Despite this if the students come out => brazen disregard for law or chalta hai attitude - kon kya karega. Or it was being led by goons outside. Recall the next day (monday) exams were starting.
vijayk
BRF Oldie

Post by vijayk »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 580464.cms
Split in Telangana committee as TDP MLAs quit
In a tactical move, 35 legislators belonging to the opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) from Telangana region on Tuesday sent their resignations to the convenor of the all-party Joint Action Committee (JAC), which is heading the movement for statehood to Telangana.

However, the JAC itself is on the verge of a split with Congress MPs and legislators refusing to quit to protest the terms of reference of the Srikrishna committee set up by New Delhi to study the statehood demand.
Congress leaders from Telangana, who met here on Monday night, alleged that the JAC was acting at the behest of Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) chief K Chandrasekhara Rao. They have decided to chalk out their own course of action on the issue.

Congress MP Ponnam Prabhakar advised Kodandaram, a former professor, not to work like a "postman" of the TRS and take into consideration the views of all parties before taking a decision.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Jai Telengana.

Rumor is that AP will be renamed as Telegana. In one stroke, 2 birds die. Telengana bhi ban jayega aur AP bhi nahi tootegi....
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

That HC judge is creating all the conditions for trouble in OU campus. I guess he should take personal responsibility if anything happens.

I hope genuine students take note of it and get away from there before trouble dawns there.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

In respect of the paranoia of rest of the Andhra people they all may not be baseless. It has to be seen in contest.

Morning on TV I have seen attack on some Andhra Hotel. I very much doubt any normal people are involved in that. Most likely people indulging in violence are TRS people. But TV people do not (and will not in future) distinguish these activities as the actions of TRS goons and not of Telangana people. Finding fault with TRS appears to be a very risky business in Hyderabad today.

Attacks of movies (either Movie Halls or Shootings) of popular actors (mainly hailing from Costal Districts) was done only by TRS and some times ABVP goons but TV has shown all of them as Telangana activists. They have attacked Jr. NTR (Grandson of NT Rama Rao who was born in Hyderabad City) and Mahesh Babu (son of Krishna another popular Hero from costal districts and MP of Congress Party about a decade and half back) to drive home a message that no one is immune to the attacks from T activists.

It is rumored that most of the film producer’s private coaching center owners have paid huge amounts as blackmail money to KCR. Seeing all Software company top guns lining before KCR is a pathetic site. For any Non Telangana person it appears KCR is calling all the shots in Hyderabad.

The image of Telangana activists in the rest of AP is the same they are seeing on TV. Apart from other issues the hard opposition to the Telangana state from other areas of AP is mainly on account of these violent methods and regular abuses hurled at them by almost every political leader from Telangana. We all heard KCR telling that he will cut the tongues of the Non Telangana people if they ever speak about Hyderabad. No one from Congress or TDP dared to opposed or condemned his for that kind of statements. All the human rights activists and Jholawalas kept quite. None of the “intellectuals” who regularly supported Telangana agitation made any statement on this.

Telangana vadis including MP and MLA’s openly said that L Rajgopal MP who is a resident of Hyderabad should not be brought to the hospital at Hyderabad as he is from Andhra. How does this kind of talk appear to the non telangana people? Many in rest of AP started to ask if Hyderabad is in Pakistan. That time one MLA joked at that time that Rajagopal asked for a hospital in the Hyderabad, capital of AP and not Hyderabad in (Sindh) Pakistan. This had lot of resonance.

This bad image is not something new created by the present agitation of the KCR. His irresponsible verbal attacks on Non Telangana people are notorious for a long time. How for these attacked contributed to his image in Telangana is very much doubtful (In all probability people in Telangana are fed up with him abusing all and sundry so they defeated him and also his friend CBN in the last elections) But they have created lot of anger in rest of the Andhra Pradesh.

Congress used this bad image of KCR to attack TDP (an alloy of KCR) in rest of the Andhra during last elections. Y.S. Rajeshekar Reddy openly campaigned in rest of the Andhra Areas that we will need a passport from KCR for going to Hyderabad. The result of that campaign is TDP which supported TRS got wiped out in rest of the AP.

My mother used to tell me their visits to their uncles house in Hyderabad used to be like going to a foreign country and how all the bags are checked by Razakars (may be police/customs because she was some 5 years old at that time and may not know the difference) before they enter Hyderabad province. When she heard what Y S Rajeshekhar Reddy said in that election meeting she asked me if that is going to be the case if we have to visit my sister who married the same uncle’s grandson and now living in Hyderabad. We are dealing with this kind of ideas in non Telangana areas. We can imagine what kind of hatred is now created in some people in Telangana. Will it simply stop with creation of Telangana state?

Most of the people in other areas have their siblings, kids, close relatives, living in Telangana area (mainly Hyderabad City). I very much doubt if they will ever agree to leave their relatives under the mercy of KCR. Unfortunately for the Telangana agitation the rest of the AP only sees it as the creation of the KCR hell bent on kicking all non Telangana people out of Telangana. It is not result of any misinformation campaign by any one but the live TV coverage of TRS leadership day after day saying irresponsible things without any opposition from any Congress and TDP Leaders of Telangana. Even they also regularly cursed Costal looters RayalaSeema Goons as the reason for the creation of the Telangana.

One of the main issues is of course Hyderabad. At present huge number of Telugu people from rest of the areas are living there. Now they are being called as “settlers” (meaning invaders) by every T activists (and press people also). One of the main arguments for the creation of the Telangana is that people from other places (mainly costal districts) are looting government jobs, wealth etc of people of Telangana. If the same is true then logically after the creation of the Telangana the loot has to be stopped by kicking out of all these people. There is no other way. How you are going to give Government jobs to Telangana people unless these invaders are removed from their jobs. Normally there will be an option for the state government employees at the time of the division any state. But will TRS agree giving for option to the costal people I doubt it. Why Telangana people should tolerate these Andhra invaders after the new state is created. It defies logic. Getting rid of the invaders will become a natural extension of a new state demand. Such being the case the paranoia of the non Telangana people is justified. We all have the case of Kashmiri Pundits before us. No one supports them and fights for them even after 20 years. Do we blame costal people if they fear similar fate for their people?

TRS will not have any scope of survival in any future Telangana state unless they continue to create issues and accuse the people in power of doing some horrible things. Siva Sena or MNS type continuation of TRS is going to be there. With political power at stake no political leader will bother if the invaders live or die. There is no way under the law Telangana State (if created) can prevent people from rest of the AP coming and living in Hyderabad. No responsible Government will do such steps. But TRS will be using some MNS type methods to “persuade” them not to come to Hyderabad. Those how are “allowed” to live in Hyderabad like present Movie crowd have to pay hafta to TRS. The outsider issue will be a big one for them in future both for money and power. Alternative is KCR joining Congress. But will he join congress after becoming the father of Telangana State?

The other reason for asking a separate state is irrigation water. The present argument is Costal people are stealing water from Telangana people. It is alleged that Costal people are getting water where as no water is being given to Telangana farmers. One of the famous quotes of KCR is about not giving a single drop of water to Costal people. If Telangana State comes then Nagarjuna Sagar project on Krishna river will be situated in Telangana area. With the stated policy of not giving a single drop of water the rest of Andhra Pradesh people may not agree to keep this project in Telangana hands. With the present situation they will no option if Telangana state is created. This project will be managed by future Telangana State Government. Vast amount of lands in Prakasham and Guntur Districts of costal Andhra are under the irrigation of the canals from that project. With Karnataka asserting itself there will be less and less water in the down stream during any dry years and in every such year, this water will be a big issue. Any Government in Telangana which releases water to Andhra areas will be accused by TRS of selling Telangana interests to the Andhra capitalists. Further in case of any floods I doubt costal people can expect any help from Telangana leaders in holding the water in the upper dam. So the very security and existence of the Costal towns will be at the mercy of TRS. In the case of Godavari there is plenty of water and I think we may not face any problem for water sharing. But flood control may be. Entire Bhadrachalam area is not originally part of the Nizam’s Hyderabad and in any division the same is to be given back to AP. Giving these lands will dilute their claim for greater Godavari water. Will Telangana people agree for that? So they may oppose return of this land.

The general public does not indulge in all these kind of activities. But continuation of the TRS politics in any new Telangana state can not be ruled out. They have Siva Sena and MNS to emulate. The entire movement of Telangana run by TRS is now based on hate and noting else. This will continue even if Telangana is created. Many congress and TDP leaders of Telangana tried to out shine KCR in hate mongering. So do we really blame if rest of the AP people being fearful now.

In respect of High Court orders I had practiced there for about 5 years long back and it feels really bad to see all this.
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

Narayana Rao wrote: The general public does not indulge in all these kind of activities. But continuation of the TRS politics in any new Telangana state can not be ruled out. They have Siva Sena and MNS to emulate. The entire movement of Telangana run by TRS is now based on hate and noting else. This will continue even if Telangana is created. Many congress and TDP leaders of Telangana tried to out shine KCR in hate mongering. So do we really blame if rest of the AP people being fearful now.

In respect of High Court orders I had practiced there for about 5 years long back and it feels really bad to see all this.
If and when Telangana is formed, i am sure TRS will be another little party - it is becoming a party on the fringe. We are seeing moves by Congress to side line TRS. It was rumored initially that TRS would merge with Congress when Telangana was formed (which lead to Dec 9 announcement). As of today TRS is fighting for its life. The simple fact that none of Cong MLAs have resigned and reports of TJAC falling apart is a clear cut indication. Again if and when Telangana is formed, i do not expect gang like activities for TRS for it will be neutered effectively.

You have indicated that your experience in the High Court. Is there something can be done to point the conflict of interest and make the Justice recuse himself.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

How many central forces like CRPF are in Andhr Pardesh? Looks like the Center spared 1200 armed constables to West Bengal for the anti-naxal fight while citing World Hockey Cup in Delhi and Telangana agitation as reasons for not sending more. Per Telegraph Kolkata.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

16th Feb, 2010: His Holiness Sri Jayendra Saraswathi said he believed that all Telugu-speaking people must stay united. The Kanchi seer said that the Telangana committee was all political activity, and that he didn't see any reason why Andhra Pradesh should split. He said it was wrong to develop regional differences amongst people.

He also said that the Telangana sentiments belongs only to politicians - who should first go to villages and seek the opinion of the public, and only then go on agitations. Students' studies and future should not be disrupted in the name of politics, he added.

The TRS, of course, has condemned Jayendra Saraswathi's statements, and asked him what answer he has to those who killed themselves for Telangana - he said his words had hurt the people of Telangana.
And Telangana agitators attack "Skandagiri" temple in Hyderabad. Basically if someone expresses anti-Telangana opinion, he will be attacked. Where else in India we see such behavior?
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

In respect of the High Court we have to know one thing here. As per the Supreme Court truth is not a defense in Comtempt proceedings. Sathyameva Jayathe is want we see in the national symbal but that rule is not applicable to Indian courts. So let is leave thing at that.

Normally judges will not take cases in which they are interested. We say how Supreme Court Judges resuced themselves in RIL cases. But if the judge who has interest does not do so we can not force him. Mostly in India we depend on the good conduct of the Judges. We created a system wherein Judges can not be touched. Which in one way very good. But now with Executive being weak and political appointments on the high a stage has come wherein we do not know what we are getting from the courts. I can write a lot about what I have seen and know but it only serve to brake an illusion which most of know as an illusion and nothing more.

Police in India are untochables. Most of the time they themselves resposible for their plight but in case of OU I think the court should not have prevented them from being in the University. Mishandling of the situation cannot be accepted and those do bad things should be taken to task. But to make OU off bounds to police ??? We have now safe heaven for all kinds of elements in the heart of city. We shall see where it leads.

Some of the comments reportedly made on the police force are quite harsh. If you have any relative etc in police department you will know how hard their life it and how bad they are treated by all. It happened in a day when some 25 jawans died for defending the nation and its democracy from Communist forces. If you and I are police officers how do we feel when in WB 25 of our jawans are killed in cold blood and the people openly support such killings are filing cases on us in AP for doing lathi charge.
Last edited by Yagnasri on 17 Feb 2010 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

RamaY wrote:
16th Feb, 2010: His Holiness Sri Jayendra Saraswathi said he believed that all Telugu-speaking people must stay united. The Kanchi seer said that the Telangana committee was all political activity, and that he didn't see any reason why Andhra Pradesh should split. He said it was wrong to develop regional differences amongst people.

He also said that the Telangana sentiments belongs only to politicians - who should first go to villages and seek the opinion of the public, and only then go on agitations. Students' studies and future should not be disrupted in the name of politics, he added.

The TRS, of course, has condemned Jayendra Saraswathi's statements, and asked him what answer he has to those who killed themselves for Telangana - he said his words had hurt the people of Telangana.
And Telangana agitators attack "Skandagiri" temple in Hyderabad. Basically if someone expresses anti-Telangana opinion, he will be attacked. Where else in India we see such behavior?
MOvement in naxal hands sir. We can not expect them to respect anything Hindu.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

NarayanRao garu,

The HC compared the police dept with General Dyer (remember him, the Jalianwallah Bagh guy!) :shock: Shows how d**kish these guys are. They blame the police force for all recent OU clashes. Now the OU-JAC says that police are drinking and partying in the campus.

AP Police is damned if it does and damned if it doesn't. Imagine the police force leaves the campus and some untoward event happens there.

On Jayendra Saraswathi comment, imagine the TRS response if he supported separate Telangana state.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

From 1:30 minutes, from the way Sukhender Reddy is talking, it looks like Central congress told these MPs to not get into seperatism.

He is saying they are not asking for separate state of Telangana but give the state as it existed before 1956 and after 1948 (and hence no separation but pre-existing condition) and also consider it like special case like JK as before 1948 it was separate country. He is splitting a lot of hair here.

Did he forget that before 1956, there was no Telangana state but Hyderabad state? How can they convince Maharastra and Karnataka to give up their Hyderabad state areas for these Congress Tvadis wish?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPBvB9yEHbA
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

If they had a Sheikh Abdullah type nexus they would have a Art 370 type dispensation. Although the six-point formula is a defacto Art 370. I think under guise of separatism they really in their hearts want to get out of India.

Meanwhile a snapshot of the old agitation

Bitter Memories
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

How was The Telangana agitation from 1969 to 1972 affected by the 1971 Indo-Pak war? did it have any effect at all?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The bumper majority that Mrs G got in Lok Sabha made the TPS win in AP irrelevant. He could not threaten to destabilise her.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Statehood for Telangana: The Current Stalemate
http://www.mainstreamweekly.net/article1897.html
The newly created smaller States, namely, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh, have achieved much higher growth rates in their GSDP than the targets set for the Tenth Five Year Plan, whereas the growth rates achieved by their parent states, namely, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh fell significantly short of the targets. (Planning Commission, 2008; Rao, 2009)
Last edited by joshvajohn on 19 Feb 2010 06:02, edited 2 times in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I was wondering who will post that stuff from Mainstream. Thanks.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

joshvajohn wrote:Statehood for Telangana: The Current Stalemate
http://www.mainstreamweekly.net/article1897.html
The newly created smaller States, namely, Uttarakhand, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh, have achieved much higher growth rates in their GSDP than the targets set for the Tenth Five Year Plan, whereas the growth rates achieved by their parent states, namely, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Madhya Pradesh fell significantly short of the targets. (Planning Commission, 2008; Rao, 2009)

This data is present in my table as well. The real picture comes out when we compare historical GDP contributions of these areas to their respective "united" states. For example what is Jharkhand's GDP/Revenue contribution to Bihar prior to the separation. What is the "net" value add in this region due to the "separate" statehood.

Like I said in all my posts, if the State Reorganization is done based on facts and logic and applied universally across India, then it is fine with bi/tri-furcating Andhra Pradesh as well.

The current Telangana demand is politically motivated and triggered by some vested-interests, as it is becoming clearer day by day. Our beloved Chidu is one of the key culprits.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

We find in our history when ever we have many small states without any strong regional forces which are also committed to the nation the very freedom & existence of the nation was threatened. Let us not forget we are free since 1951 only. Do we go back to same mistakes of the past.

If decentralisation is to be done let is do village level thing. Has any one wanted to ask how village level representation and admistrative powers help common man. No. Such systom will not allow our leaders to earn crores so no one want to discuss or impliment.

Now Delhi is not in tune with national ethos. Many of its actions now are frankly antinational. If successful in Telangana it will want to encourage small states which will not give birth to powerful regional leaders to challenge the Nehru/Khan/Gadhi family leadership.

Let us not forget in case of AP - NTR CBN and YSR are all powerful leaders and in the case of first two they are resposible for keeping congress out of powers for lot of years. With small states Rajamatha can play one against another with family playing the royal mediator role. The drive for small states will result in all kind of politico’s carving out their individual/ family fiefdoms. So win-win situation for Delhi and major political dynasties.

Take Maharashtra as an example – One Sugar Cooperative Company – One Co operative Bank – One Educational Trust with eng and Medical Colleges and your family is in perpetual power.

Do we really want the entire country be like that? Some castes people are more in area so let us have a state for that caste people. is that we want now. Lingustic states worked some what because at that time leaders are mostly freedom fighters. Can we expect such people from today parties.

Sukendra Reddy has to be reminded that Hyderabad was libarated by Indian army from the horrors of Razakars. They have not joined on their own. They have not fought with brits also.Their leadership wanted to join Pakisthan. I do not know how many readers remember the Kasim Razvis famous words on the eve of indian action " The waters of Bay of Bengal will touch the feet of Nizam" Later he had to run to Pak alone.

I do not know if S Reddy now wants to go back to that life but common people are not interested to listen the rubbish like that. If he wants a state it is Ok but if he is talking about a saparate nation then he will be facing a anger from the people of Telangana and rest of the nation. Hope he will be careful in future.

At least SC has not given some freedom to police. Hope they do some careful work particularly the attack on assembly tomorrow. They have to be careful now.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

NarayanaRao garu,

JoshuvaJohn garu misunderstands (perhaps intentionally) and misapplies the small states argument to current AP-Telangana issue.

Curernt AP-Telangana issue is a political coup and has no association with the small-state logic/argument/strategy.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

Extremist BJP. Moderate MIM :roll: . With this BJP could be pushed out of Hyderabad as MIM found new supporters.

Strong words from MIM leader. He also asked government to prosecute those who use word "settlers" for residents of Hyderabad who may have been there for decades.

http://www.andhrajyothy.com/english/Sho ... ntid=28924
"The hasty and unilateral announcement of the Union Home Minister P Chidambaram has been singularly responsible for pushing the state into this political turmoil which has caused division of hearts and minds and sowed hatred and suspicion among the people of Telangana and the other regions (Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema)."
"The Rosaiah government also cannot escape responsibility for dealing with this situation in a casual and perfunctory manner. The government has shown lack of guts and firmness in putting down the lawlessness that has been perpetrated by self-seeking politicians, political parties, their activists and supporters in the region over the last 11 weeks," Akbaruddin said."Despite the promulgation of prohibitory orders, rallies, protests and bandhs are being organised with impunity. Violence and destruction of public and private properties and selective targeting of persons or business interests of those from particular regions or communities have induced a general fear of insecurity among the people," the MIM leader lamented.