CT & COIN Operations in India: News, Images and Discussion

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Vivek Raghuvanshi
BRFite

Re: CT and COIN operations in India: News, Images and Discussion

Post by Vivek Raghuvanshi »

Snatch Operations means using special operations teams for what they are trained for.

A Nation is ONLY respected, when terrorists / insurgents scheming on foreign soil FEAR.

Every Terrorist / Insurgent sitting on foreign soil will only fear when they know, they can run but they cannot hide.

Empty rhetorics by politicians mean nothing. This is why thousands of our security forces get killed.

This is why India is at war for over 60 years.

It is no longer High Intensity Conflict but Low Intensity Conflict.

For a self respecting Nation to endorse Snatch Operations requires Courage, not plan swiss bank accounts!

India wants to be a super power???

Super Powers are feared and respected by terrorists / insurgents AND NOT kicked on its backside again and again.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

enough with the high falutin rhetorics. this has nothing to do with this thread.
Vivek Raghuvanshi
BRFite

This shows typical indian mentality.

We want to talk about CT / CI operations, but SHY away from how they are to be truly conducted.

Way back in 2003, I had suggested to my friends at RAW / IB / MI about importance of Snatch Operations to grab terrorists / insurgents.

Indian Cabinet does not really care, how many indian soldiers die?

Does any politician really care, or are we too ashamed as Indians, ie if there are any indians here who understand what valor / courage / bravery is.

Is this forum not really a waste of time, that we refuse to see the truth.

You can BAN me from this forum.

I will NEVER shy away from the TRUTH.

To be a BHARAT RAKSHAK requires courage / valor / bravery.

What is this forum for:

Is it to please ISI and Communists?

You are allowed to BAN me.

Cheers
Last edited by Vivek Raghuvanshi on 13 Apr 2010 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
neilmurali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neilmurali »

to vivek
why are you so aggressive

I would expect you to keep your cool.
Last edited by neilmurali on 13 Apr 2010 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

this thread is for discussing the actual operations and NOT what cabinet ministers do or don't think about policy regarding snatching operations etc whatever.

coming in and posting whatever one feels like without bothering to check what the thread deals with and then acting all hurt and misunderstood shows the 'Indian mentality' as well, if there is such a thing.
Vivek Raghuvanshi
BRFite

Oh Rahul,

Actual CI Ops and CT Ops are without fangs if Snatch Ops is not on their top priority.

CT / CI Ops are a joke without Snatch Ops.

I know what I am talking about: http://corporaterisks.info/index.php

VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI

He has over two decades of expertise in Competitive Intelligence in Mitigating Risks and generating Early Warning for fortune 500 clients at leading risk management agencies. He has Mitigated Risks of Military campaigns in Joint, Interagency, Intergovernmental and Multinational Operations by creating Antidote to violent religious ideologies as a long term challenge to US interests. Ex - Deputy Director Central Asia & Middle East - International Technical Advisory Corps, Licensed by State Counter Terrorism, Washington DC, USA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAHUL - Click on the profile button and view my profile at Bharat Rakshak.
Last edited by Vivek Raghuvanshi on 13 Apr 2010 22:52, edited 3 times in total.
neilmurali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neilmurali »

stop boasting about yourself and keep your cool
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Vivek, politics is much maligned but if you don't participate then you're not going to be able to make much of a difference either. You have to be in it to win it. I hope you don't get banned, so you can continue to observe how opinions evolve over time. Don't burn bridges.
Vivek Raghuvanshi
BRFite

Neil,

This is NOT boasting but having the COURAGE to reveal ones identity on the forum

Understand it in the right perspective.

When we say BHARAT RAKSHAK, we must understand what it takes.
neilmurali
BRFite -Trainee

Post by neilmurali »

vivek I or none of us in BR asked you about your identity.

why don't you get back to whatever your post was and put it into practice as pratik said,we need good people in our politics and not hot headed people handling the show.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

You obviously traversed the field and are far ahead of the forum members. It would help your case if you try to bring them up to speed without sounding preachy. You need to build your case slowly and make sure folks are on board your train of thought.

A very iffy path.

BTW, I did read your profile when you first posted.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I'm not sure in which language I should type this to get the message across, your comments have NOTHING to do with any ongoing or past operation and hence irrelevant to this thread. what you are insisting upon discussing is a policy decision by GOI and is therefore off topic for this thread. if and when any Indian force undertakes any snatch operations you can discuss it in this thread to your heart's content.

now please understand this, if you continue to derail this thread with off-topic comments, I will have to act accordingly to prevent it. your credentials do not matter if you fail to follow the simple rules of forum etiquette.

@others, please do not continue on this OT issue, it only increases the workload for mods.

p.s. I am aware of your profile.
Vivek Raghuvanshi
BRFite

Thanks Ramana,

I was just trying to help and make a difference, so we are respected as a Nation

Cheers
Vivek Raghuvanshi
BRFite

Cheer up Rahul!
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

Vivek Raghuvanshi Sir

It is an absolute pleasure to have you here

Looking forward to insightful posts from you
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

One thing that I have noticed about the Maoists is the ability to pull off "spectacular" ops. Sample being;

- Hijack of Rajdhani Train
- Killing several grey hounds in a river operation
- Whole sale invasion of a prison complex in Bihar
- Use of heavy IEDs to destroy armoured vehicles on several occassions.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Add to it
1. An entire town (Nayagarh) in Orissa cut off at night and the police armoury and training school looted. This was the biggest arms haul for the Maoists -- some 250 AK-47s, Insas and SLRs and a million rounds of ammunition.

2. . The assassination bid on Chandrababu Naidu

3. The massacre of EFR jawans in Silda in a crowded area where you would not expect an attack.

4. The assassination bid on the Bengal CM, Ram Vilas Paswan, Sajjan Jindal and Naveen Jindal

In all these operations, the Maoists attacked in overwhelming numbers, often 300 to one -- a tactic handed down by Mao Zedong and perfected by the Nepal Maoists. They plan carefully so that they have the upper hand in Surprise, Speed, Strength
cbelwal

Post by cbelwal »

And this one highlights the Maoists' 'far sightnesses' and resources available to them:
--------------
An explosives container weighing 45 kg was found beneath a metalled road near Ranchi 10 days ago by a team of the Jharkhand police and the Central Reserve Police Force.
One aspect common to both incidents was that explosives were planted under the roads when they were being laid. In Bokaro, the road was a smooth metalled one on which hundreds of cars plied every day.

“There have been many cases where we have found that explosives were planted when the roads were being laid,” Pandey said, adding that the police had prosecuted a couple of contractors for “negligence” and “connivance”.
--------------------

Wonder how many of these disguises IEDs are deployed to be used as weapons in the coming years ?

Aditya G wrote:One thing that I have noticed about the Maoists is the ability to pull off "spectacular" ops. Sample being;
Nalla Baalu
BRFite

Post by Nalla Baalu »

IIRC, back in 2000, Andhra Pradesh minister Madhav Reddy was rumoured to have been assasinated by PWG using similar modus-operandi, when his vehicle got blown up on a newly constructed fly-over at Ghatkesar near Hyderabad.

link
cbelwal wrote:And this one highlights the Maoists' 'far sightnesses' and resources available to them:
Aditya G wrote:One thing that I have noticed about the Maoists is the ability to pull off "spectacular" ops. Sample being;
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

What's also dangerous is the amount of IED/mines they have at their disposal. If push comes to shove, they could mine the crap out of the Chattisgarh & Jharkand forests, thereby turning it into a mini-Cambodia. All the more reason to use all available force, including air-power to break their back in double-quick time.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

whatever I've read/heard of the assassination bid on CBN, it was a most well planned and intricate operation. capturing or eleminating the brains behind these operations will give a big jolt to their efforts.

ajai shukla's report mentions that the number of IEDs has come down drastically over the last few years, the possible reason is the introduction of MPVs, which require a far larger amount of explosives to do damage. which means that the maoists have to be more selective in choosing their targets. that might change however, with the amount of funds they are getting.
sugriva
BRFite
Location: Exposing the uber communist luddites masquerading as capitalists

Post by sugriva »

sugriva wrote:It is nobody's case that the Army should have to shoulder the responsibility of internal security when a 400,000 strong force of CRPF is present to do the job. If required more battalions of CRPF should be raised for the purpose. However it is also the case that the CRPF is a police organization and by no yardstick of logic can it be argued that it should be placed under the control of the Army which is a military organization. It can however be argued that since the CRPF is facing Naxalites, a guerrilla army, with allegedly good company and battalion level command structures, it, or atleast the part of it that is fighting the Naxalities, shall have to evolve into a Light Infantry/Rashtriya Rifles kind of organization with dedicated command structures and battalion/brigade/division level assets. Dedicated forces and officers are needed for this purpose. The ranks can continue to be recruited the way they are today. The officers need to be dedicated to the CRPF only and should be recruited from the pool of SI's that enter as the first level leaders. IPS officers, who are on one day, doing bandh bandobast and riot control duties, cannot, on the next day, be expected to fight like Infantry Major Generals. This unfortunately is the situation today. We require military style leadership for an organization that is fighting an enemy, the Naxalites, that are in effect an illegal military operating from our soil. As a first step a new CPO should be formed that takes manpower from the CRPF and that is tasked purely as an internal security force. This will be on the lines of the Soviet MVD troops and have a light infantry orientation. The SSC officers of the Army, on their leaving the army, should be offered permanent commission in this force, if they choose to join it. To start with, an Infantry officer with experience in CI ops should be made the commanding officer of this force. He should leave the army and join as an officer of this force. Question now is, will the army be willing to stand the creation of a well trained, well armed light infantry force of around 250,000-300,000 strength that is not under its operational control.
Sometime ago I had posted on the need to split the CRPF to create an internal security force. The first step seems to have been taken
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 799132.cms
The CRPF is to be split. Lets see how it proceeds and how it is officered.
Brahmananda
BRFite

Post by Brahmananda »

nothing will change, this war against naxals will last another 20 years. unless we go for a total overhaul of the security infra on this nation. nothing short of total overhaul would work.
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

^
Saar, what will happen after 20 years?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

pmund wrote:Add to it
1. An entire town (Nayagarh) in Orissa cut off at night and the police armoury and training school looted. This was the biggest arms haul for the Maoists -- some 250 AK-47s, Insas and SLRs and a million rounds of ammunition.

2. . The assassination bid on Chandrababu Naidu

3. The massacre of EFR jawans in Silda in a crowded area where you would not expect an attack.

4. The assassination bid on the Bengal CM, Ram Vilas Paswan, Sajjan Jindal and Naveen Jindal

In all these operations, the Maoists attacked in overwhelming numbers, often 300 to one -- a tactic handed down by Mao Zedong and perfected by the Nepal Maoists. They plan carefully so that they have the upper hand in Surprise, Speed, Strength
Another "spectacular" (it pains to use such a word) operation was the attack on Ranchi bauxite mine. Though our CISF put up a stiff fight and drove them away. Here too, they attacked in HUGE numbers.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

And the attack on a Nalco mine in Orissa's Koraput dist on April 13 last year. Just 22 CISF jawans valiantly fought off 1,000 Maoists in a 10-hour gunbattle. Local police took their time in coming to their aid. For the whole night, the jawans, many of whom were injured, changed position frequently and kept up a withering rate of fire until they were almost out of ammo. 11 CISF men were martyred. When policemen and senior CISF officers arrived at the scene the next morning, they found the survivors dazed but still clutching their empty rifles, asking for ammo to go after the Maoists. The rebels did manage to take away a lot of explosives but could not snatch any weapons or ammo.
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

After the recent massacre of CRPF personals in Dantewada, the debate has shifted to Naxals from terrorists. However, this will last until we have another terrorist attack on our soil and soul. After reading and listing so many experts who tell us what the government should do, what it can do, and what it cannot do, Hardly have I come across any positive suggestion, which keeps in account of ground reality and the fact that we have missed almost two decades.
Its very often said that every bodies business is no bodies business. Sadly same is the case and attitude of our Government and Security establishment. At present the duty of fighting terrorism lies with Army, Navy (Marcos), N.S.G, CRPF, CISF, ITBP, and off courses our local district police. RAW and IB are both involved with counter terrorism measures and often cross each others path. And after each major terrorist strike, we hear same old story that central agencies had prior information, and the state government will say that the intelligence was not actionable. The net looser in this blame game is the common man. So what do we need to do? It’s very simple all wee need to do is follow 2 principles.

1) Principle of specialization.
2) Principle of accountability.

A) We have created regional hubs of NSG units. But placing unites in different city will be use less unless provided with proper transportation facility. Suppose there is another major terrorist attack in Mumbai during a festival or any such day which results in major traffic jam, then another precious few hours will be lost in transportation. Are we sure that they will target only those cities which have NSG cover, so ideally each unit should have one plane and one chopper at its disposal
B) Increase the annual budget of NSG from 150 crores to about 500 crores.

C) Increase the deputation period in NSG and also create a permanent NSG cadre for research and analysis. This cadre will be responsible for imparting latest training to the cadre and researching and analyzing the latest tactics used by the terrorist. Also they should act as a think tank to try and predict with the help of intelligence report about what they may try this time. We always look at the previous attacks and prepare for them whereas the pigs always outsmart us Lets out run them in their own game by trying to predict there latest plan and prepare our self for that.

D) Relieve NSG personals from the duty of providing security cover to VIP’s , it’s an irony it is that 200 NSG men were sent at first to clean up terrorist from Mumbai, and about 140 NSG commandos provide security cover to a lady chief minister. Releasing from duty of so called VIP’s would strengthen the NSG by at lest 1700 commandos for performing the task they should be performing.

E) Change the mandate of CRPF and transform it into anti terrorism force. They should be trained in anti-terrorist operation, be it urban or rural. This will release pressure from Army, which is heavily involved in anti terrorism operations. At present they are mostly deployed to improve law and order situation, also made to perform election duty. In state like Chhatisgarh they are deployed for anti-naxal operation where they suffer heavy causality due to lack of training in jungle and guerrilla warfare. Train them as a company, as pointed out by our Army chief, many times jawans are trained separately from officers, this creates problem during operation.

F) Provide proper housing, and other basic amenities to them. If you have watched the state of the camps of CRPF in Dantewada, you will know what I mean. They even don’t have proper drinking water facility. Water pumps are there but no electricity, cant we provide them with couple of heavy duty generators. Also almost none of the brave jawans who laid there life in Dantewada had proper bullet proof jacket. Are they more costly then the life of our brave jawans, lets face it no war can be won by having accountants as generals, and it’s a WAR now.

G) Much has been debated about providing air support (offensive) to the CRPF, but just think if there would have been an attack helicopter in the area, it may not have saved life of our brave jawans but would have created a havoc on the Naxals. I may be wrong but out of possible 500-600 they would have suffered causality of more then 200, this would have created a dent on there morals. 2-3 such operation from Air force and we will see the difference in their attitude. At lest they will suffer much more then we do. So authorize Air support in such situation. In addition, they should have UAV’s with thermal and preferably SAR capacity. Create an additional post of S.P operation in each dist, who will be in charge of anti naxal operations. Induct SPO who are picked from local population as local guides and intelligence operatives with local CRPF companies so that they wont face linguistic and intelligence problems. This wont solve all the problem but at least we there will be a start. Otherwise how come its possible that more then 500 Naxals move in from different states with heavy weapons and no one got any whiff. Why is Dist police so inefficient, if it would not have been statement from Home minister itself, the Dist police categorically denied that it had any prior information about the movement and operation of CRPF company.

H) Divide CRPF into 5 groups and each trained specialy for

1) J&K
2) N.E
3) Anti Naxal operation i.e Jungle warfare
4) Law and order problem

I) Convert Central industrial security force (CISF) into Central installation protection force. Its main job will be to protect important installations and air-port. Also train some of them in the art of psychological profiling to pick out any one suspicious, any one who could be potential threat to people or infrastructure or who can be an hijacker. They should be specially trained for these propose. Train them periodically with S.F guys

J) Also merge railway protection force (RPF) and general railway police (GRP). They should be trained for protecting our railway stations and trains. Checking baggage, also they should employ psychological profilers to pick out even robbers, any one who could be potential threat to people or infrastructure.

K) After the Mumbai crisis the Maharastra government has proposed to raise an elite crack force to handle situation like 26/11. But this response is half hearted as a city like Mumbai cannot rely on just 100 commandos. Every city that has population over 2 million should have at least 300 specially trained commandos to handle not only anti terrorist operation but hostage situation , and even take on the underworld. As there in increasing convergence between under world and terrorist organization. Similarly every city with population over 5-6 million should have 200-300 commandos in each police dist with a specialized state or art bomb disposal squad. Also every such city should have at least 2 choppers at its disposal.

L) National investigation agency should be merged with IB, to create FBI like agency in true spirit. Also merge revenue intelligence into it. Give it the mandate to act against anti terrorism, drug trafficking, money laundering case and to deal with the underworld to break down the convergence and the nexus between terrorist, under world and so called non-state actors.

M) Make special and strict law against above mentioned crimes and to protect it from being misused authorize only NIA and CBI as the competent agency to use these law. NIA should have its presence in every district and should be connected with its zonal head quarter and head quarter with secured and hi-speed connection and comprehensive data base using 2-3 super computers.

N) Create crisis management agency in every city with population over 2 million, at state level and at center with separate staff and office and a well defined hierarchy to handle any crisis like situation either natural ( like tsunami or an earth-quake ). They will take over the local administration in any crisis like situation and will not only act as a coordinator between different security agencies for the emergency response but will also arrange for proper medical coordination and evacuation of victims from the problem area. There should be mock practice for different kind of situation for smooth and precise response when the need arises. Also accountability should be fixed in case of non performance. After the blunder that the crisis management group (CMG) did in 1999 in IC-814 hijacking case, the cabinet secretary who also heads the CMG was made Governor of a state after he retired. This kind of precedence should not be followed any more. Heads should roll in case of non performance. And when and if the principle of accountability is followed we should also follow the principle of reward. For example the elite SAS personals in U.K get a pay which is four times the pay of ordinary solder. Here if we can’t pay them that much, then at least we can exempt them from paying income tax for life time. Any personal who may have served the armed forces, and in any specialized force which is engaged in anti terrorism operation or protecting our nation. This may be well be big morale booster for the personals who are ready do lay down there life to save us. Armed forces who are now facing a severe crunch if the quantity of officers’ in short service commission may well get the desired number of quality youth if the get this kind of benefit.

Many critics will find these suggestions as unrealistic, but Rome was not built in a day. These proposals should have been proposed and implemented at least a decade ago. If these suggestion are implemented even now there will be specialized agency which will be well equipped and trained for and specific function and to handle most demanding situation with ease within 2 year. We need to take Israel as our role model
Many skeptics will ask the question that- how much peace has tat policy brought to Israel. But that question itself is wrong. The real question that needs to be asked is-How much violence has its stopped. No Israeli citizen was targeted outside Israel by terrorist till 26/11 after they hunted down the members of black September group for nearly a decade. After the heroic rescue operation of the hijacked plane from Entebbe-Uganda in 1976 no Israeli plan was hijacked again. Israel is almost as baldly affected by terrorism as India, but ever wondered why there is no demonstration against their politicians as we have in India after almost every major incident, after all there politicians are almost as corrupt as ours in India. That’s because their people know that their government is doing what it needs to be done to protect them. But same is not the case with us. Here people have almost lost their faith in government that it is doing some thing to protect us. To restore people’s faith and to win the war we need to change out attitude. - and we are facing an unconventional war. But no war can be won by securing the defense only. The agencies mentioned above are meant to of defensive mode and to act as last line of defense. And since these non state actors and terrorist use and speak in the language of fear. We should not hesitate from speaking to them in their own language. Let’s take fear into their mind, even they should know that from now our response won’t be just a wink for an eye but both eye for a wink. RAW should be strengthened on lines of Mossad, CIA, and it should be given the power to neutralize any one who is threat or could be a potential threat to our nation. Since collective punishment is possible almost only by going to full scale war, which should be our last resort we need to punish them severely using our intelligence agencies or rather our own non-state actors. Use covert mission to punish and neutralize them individually. Both eye for a wink at us, and whole jaw for just a teeth.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

Why have Israel as the model? Are our forces not knowledgeable enough to devise their own solutions?

IMHO for Naxalites there should be a joint task force combining assets from all the services, IA/N/AF/PM etc. Special forces to hit high value targets and collect intel, Paramilitary to police areas after they are secured, AF assets to provide surveillance and targeting leaders. Fighting guerrilla armies is not a job for police.
Aaryan
BRFite

Post by Aaryan »

By Israeli model I mean their political system of dealing with any thing which causes threat to their national security.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

pmund wrote:And the attack on a Nalco mine in Orissa's Koraput dist on April 13 last year. Just 22 CISF jawans valiantly fought off 1,000 Maoists in a 10-hour gunbattle. Local police took their time in coming to their aid. For the whole night, the jawans, many of whom were injured, changed position frequently and kept up a withering rate of fire until they were almost out of ammo. 11 CISF men were martyred. When policemen and senior CISF officers arrived at the scene the next morning, they found the survivors dazed but still clutching their empty rifles, asking for ammo to go after the Maoists. The rebels did manage to take away a lot of explosives but could not snatch any weapons or ammo.
I was referring to the same. But I got the place wrong. It was in Orissa, as you say, not Ranchi :oops:
The CISF had done an outstanding job that day. Did they receive bravery awards for their actions?
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

All the jawans got gallantry awards. It was the first time that every member of a combat group was decorated for gallantry. Six of them got the President's Police Medal for Gallantry and 16 got the Police Medal for Gallantry. Four of those who got the PPMG were killed: Bhagirath Singh, Amarendra Sarmah, Sarbjeet Singh and Vipin Kumar Singh. Dharam Singh and Salim Khan who survived the attack got president's medal.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

CISF Medal List (pdf) for 2009, has pics of the Ranchi encounter soldiers. 8)
http://cisf.nic.in/medal-09.pdf
On 12.04.2009 about 400 armed naxals carried out multi/pronged attack on the CISF mines control room, fire station, SOs and jawans barracks and magazine guarded by CISF at Nalco Damanjodi . Heavily armed naxalites made about 100 employees and CISF personnel hostage. They attacked with sophisticated weapons, petrol bombs and IEDs to take control of the magazine guarded by CISF in order to take away the huge quantity of explosives stored there and weaponry This attack from 400 heavily armed naxalites which stared at 2115 hrs on 12.04.2009 was gallantly challenged by 22 armed CISF personnel deployed at the magazine they thwarted the attempt by naxalites to take away the explosives by holding them through out the night with continuous tactical firing and repulsed the attack at sun rise. During this courageous act CISF lost its 10 brave soldiers who laid their lives in the service of nation and saved the explosives from going into the hands of naxalites . The government NALCO management and the national media has showered huge praise for the gallant act by the CISF personnel . During this action many naxalites were killed by CISF and it was one of the rarest occasions when bodies of four killed naxalites were recovered which shows the exemplary courage of CISF personnel which repulsed the naxalites . The gallant action of CISF personnel has set an example for other force members to emulate that how courage tactics and training can repulse the attack by the naxals who come in huge numbers and in waves by handful of CISF men . This has also instilled confidence and boosted the morale of other members of the force . These 10 martyr’s have given the supreme sacrifice of their life in pursuit of "Protection and Security" the motto of CISF . This gallant
act of CISF personnel have been appreciated by media general public and the government . For their sustained display of exemplary courage of the most conspicuous kind, these 22 men have been awarded with medals of gallantry by the Govt. of India on Independence Day 2009. It is also the first time that any CPMF has been awarded such a large number of Gallantry Medals for a single encounter.

It is a unique honour for CISF. The name of personnel are as under :-

One -President Police Medal for Gallantry:(1). HC/GD Bhagirath Singh, (Posthumously) (2) HC/GD Amarendra Sarmah, (Posthumously) (3) CT/GD Sarbjeet Singh, (Posthumously) (4) CT/GD Vipin Kumar Singh, (Posthumously) . (5) CT/GD Dharam Singh, (6) CT/GD Salim Khan .

Two - Police Medal for Gallantry: (1) SI/Exe Subas Chandra Pradhan, (Posthumously) (2) CT/GD Potupureddin Appanna, (Posthumously) (3) CT/GD Barun Paramanik, (Posthumously) (4) CT/GD Solanki Kritan Kumar, (Posthumously) (5) CT/GD Bidhan Maji, (Posthumously) (6) CT/GD Lalit Kumar, (Posthumously) . (7) CT/GD Santosh Kumar (8) CT/GD Devendra Prasad (9) CT/GD Kuber Chandra Rout (10) CT/GD Chetan Dass, (11) CT/GD Ram Bilash Singh (12) CT/GD Harendra Prasad, (13) CT/GD Champak Kalita, (14) CT/GD Sk. Mohiuddin (15) CT/GD Narender Kumar Yadav (16) CT/GD Mihir Parmanik.
RIP to the dead. :(
Brave, calm, well trained soldiers. :twisted:
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

UAV tested in Bastar
In a first trial, a U.S.-made Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) successfully flew over the dense forests of Bastar at night. It will be deployed in anti-Maoist operations.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Combating Maoists: Into battle sans leaders
With Maoist insurgents offering more lethal battles, police battalions will need a transformation to standards very close to infantry units. Even with the best equipment and training, they will not succeed if they do not have a dynamic leadership, writes Brigadier S K Chatterji (retd).
Goes to expand on the points already discussed.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Gerard wrote:UAV tested in Bastar
In a first trial, a U.S.-made Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) successfully flew over the dense forests of Bastar at night. It will be deployed in anti-Maoist operations.
The CAS is on record saying that the UAVs aginst Maoists didnt help much. What has changed now to carry out new trials?
sumeet_s
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sumeet_s »

Jagan sir...can i have ur email id please...
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

All the big ambushes laid by the Naxals in recent times have involved a minimum of 50 lower level carders , such a big number in an organized formation cannot escape from a UAV, even in dense forests.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

"We were being slowly killed by our own people"-- the destruction of the CRPF's A company in Dantewada.Share
Today at 06:57
an exclusive account of the final moments of the CRPF’s A and G companies which were wiped out by Maoists in Dantewada on April 6, 2010. Based on detailed interviews of three of the seven survivors currently in a hospital in Raipur.

Dawn had just begun breaking over the cool dry jungle
of Dantewada when the column of 81 CRPF men along
with one local head constable was walking in a single file over a hillock and towards a one hectare fallow field, lined with bunds and trees. The troopers were wearing camouflage
fatigues and, strangely,white sneakers bought in Raipur because the regular CRPF issue boots were unfit for long marches. The men had established a base camp three km away from Chintalnar village and had begun ‘area domination’ patrols
in the Mukrana forest. They had two night halts where they cooked a dal and rice khichdi for themselves.
It was their second day in the Maoist stronghold but the enemy
was elusive. The villagers that they came across didn’t tell them anything useful. It didn’t matter even if they did. The troopers did not understand the Gondi dialect spoken by the tribals; they left that to their local liaison, Head Constable Sushil Kumar Deepak. Ramesh Kumar Singh, part of the column’s Quick
Reaction Team (QRT) comprising of 12 men, cradled his INSASrifle and pulled out his mobile phone. There
was no signal so he was using it as a clock. It was 5.50 a.m. They had been marching for nearly three hours. For some reason the QRT,supposed to be at the head of the column acting as scouts, had fallen behind. “I’m going to the front to get our orders,” Assistant Commandant B.L. Meena said and walked ahead to the head of the column where the leader,
Deputy Commandant Satyawan Singh, was. Meena had gone just 20 metres when the first pft pft pft bursts of fire came directly from the front. “Take positions, take posi-
tions,” Satyawan Singh’s voice rang out. The company broke up and split into small groups and fanned out to left and right, rifles pointing towards their assailants.
“It’s a hit-and-run. They will go away. It happened like this in
Kashmir,” thought Biplab Malakar,a lanky first division fast bowler from Barrackpore in West Bengal, as he took position behind a 2-ft high bund around the field. Five years ago,militants in Jammu and Kashmir had shot and killed his friend, another constable, Pradeep Sikdar. It occurred to Biplab that the Naxals were using INSAS rifles—the very rifles the CRPF troopers were using to desperately defend themselves—to
shoot at him. Biplab had a deeper as- sociation—he used to make these weapons during a two-month long
summer job at the Rifle Factory in Ishapore a decade ago.
Soon the fire began from the flanks, and seemingly from above.
The black uniform-clad Maoists were firing from behind the dark- ened silhouettes of the trees. Bullets rang over their heads with a crack as they broke the sound barrier. Biplab was huddled near the bund with a fellow policemen H.K. Malik when a grenade flew in and exploded, blowing Malik’s leg away. Five bullets hit Biplab on the back and blood
poured out soaking his battle fatigues. He passed out.
Arvind Kumar, meanwhile, went down on the ground, fired
his AK-47 and crawled—the standard drill to evade bullets. But
the ground offered no cover. The men were being scythed down
in groups as they lay prone. It soon became clear why. “Ped se fire aa rahi hain(they are firing from the trees),” Havaldar Major Ram Kumar Meena screamed as two Maoist light machine guns began thumping deadly fire from atop trees over 100 metres away.
Explosions from IEDs rent the air and smoke wafted across the field. Arvind’s AK-47 ran out of ammunition.
“Take my magazines. I can’t fire,” a dying Sub-Inspector B.K. Sharma offered him two AK-47 magazines. As the battle raged, the Maoists were shouting tactical instructions to each other. “Deepak, idhar se ghero, (surround them from here).” It was a sight that was both terrifying and surreal. There were hundreds of tribal villagers around the field. They were screaming in Gondi, waving sticks and spears. It was like a royal shikaar which had converged onto a single killing field. It seemed like over a thousand people were firing though the Maoists claim they were only 300. “If I’m going to die, I’m going to try and take as many of them,” Arvind thought as he and a few others began blasting away at the trees. He saw at least one of the Maoists falling off.
Then the firing came in from a small hillock towards the rear of the company. Arvind had attracted the deadly attention of
their ambushers. A second grenade was flung towards him and it exploded near him. Three bullets hit him on the back. He
collapsed on his rifle. It was like the Maoists anticipated how the CRPF would react when ambushed. The field had
turned into a killing box ringed with automatic weapons. It was a Roman colosseum. There was no retreat for these dying gladiators. In the firefight, which lasted for over three hours, the CRPF men were clinically finished off. And all that happened right in front of their own ‘countrymen’. The last thing the survivors remember is seeing sari-clad tribal women moving in
and stripping the bodies of their fallen comrades of their weapons. Only seven men survived to tell this tale, one that would haunt them for the rest of their lives.

--Sandeep Unnithan (India Today, April 26, 2010)
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Naxals fire at Dantewada probe team official
RAIPUR: Naxals dressed in CRPF uniform on Saturday fired at the securitymen of former BSF Director General E N Rammohan, who is in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district to inquire into circumstances that led to the massacre of 76 security personnel by Maoists.

Official sources said the Naxals fired a few random shots at the securitymen comprising CRPF and local police personnel guarding Rammohan at Chintalnar in Dantewada district. No one was injured in the firing.

Sources said the Naxals opened fire as they wanted to make their presence felt. Rammohan is in the district to establish the circumstances preceding and the sequence of events leading to the April 6 attack in which 76 CRPF and local police head constable were killed brutally by Naxals.

69-year-old Rammohan will examine the response of the state police and the CRPF both during the ambush and the post-ambush relief and rescue operations besides suggesting measures to mitigate the lapses, if any, so that such incidents do not recur.
mmasand
BRFite

Post by mmasand »

Rashtriya Rifles seemed to have attracted attention for wrong reasons in Kupwara.A 70 yr old male body was exhumed by JKP to conduct an autopsy.It is alleged RR shot him down when hunting for a pig in the forest.