LCH and other Helicopters Discussion Thread

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Re: LCH discussion

Post by Singha »

the pcmcia type card with mission data is common in all 4+ gen fighters. I believe even our jaguar upgrade and nuova jags have it.

eurocopter has done good work on quiet rotors, hope we apply these lessons to lch, loh
and dhruv...esp lch and loh which will go deliberately in harms way

http://wingsoveriraq.blogspot.com/2010/ ... rotor.html

also read the comment below on what happened in vietnam :shock:
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

shiv wrote:Saw the LCH flying over the golf course for an hour. I played like an idiot, but seeing the LCH made up somewhat..

My cellphone camera is too stupid to actually catch the LCH and its accompanying Dhruv. It takes 15 seconds to "boot up" into camera mode so..
Get a good cell or a good camera or a cell with a good camera.

Better still ask HAL / NAL etc to send you the LCH schedule in advance so that you can take good pics with your not-so-good camera :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

K
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

How about BRF raising mudra for the Jingos who live in the vicinity of HAL, so that they can procure a serious SLR with a 500x stabilized zoom lens?
:rotfl:

Seriously guys, start saving for that camera, and hopefully you'll get us the first pics of the MCA next decade!
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Gagan wrote:How about BRF raising mudra for the Jingos who live in the vicinity of HAL, so that they can procure a serious SLR with a 500x stabilized zoom lens?

Seriously guys, start saving for that camera, and hopefully you'll get us the first pics of the MCA next decade!
That's a good a idea... I second that...
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

Bala Vignesh wrote:
Gagan wrote:How about BRF raising mudra for the Jingos who live in the vicinity of HAL, so that they can procure a serious SLR with a 500x stabilized zoom lens?

That's a good a idea... I second that...
I third it.

Gurus to set up a BRF bank account with high interests please thanks.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

:eek:
What ! Raise mudra for the jingos request or the start saving mudra for that SLR?

Hopefully the latter you all yindoo baniyas.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Of course the latter sir... Why would i, sorry, we say no to a Good SLR camera that the jingos here give s...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

There is such a person - but his pics don't necessarily come to BRF first
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

shiv wrote:There is such a person - but his pics don't necessarily come to BRF first
Sir, if you don't mind, could you tell me who this person is?? Just out of curiosity...
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is he namesake of a departed member of india's first family?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Singha wrote:is he namesake of a departed member of india's first family?
Abs-e-lootely
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

shiv wrote:
Singha wrote:is he namesake of a departed member of india's first family?
Abs-e-lootely
Lion man I tell you!
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

biswas wrote:

I third it.

Gurus to set up a BRF bank account with high interests please thanks.
Guys, we can create a common pool for such other activities too like subscribing to paid defense journals like janes and others... Gurus can go thru the same and can enlighten others too
Anantz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anantz »

Caught the LCH doing a couple of rounds above HAL airport just now. It was accompanied by a chase Dhruv. After 3 - 4 rounds, the Dhruv gave way and the LCH started flying solo, it flew a circle towards Leela palace side and turned around towards the airport. Was an awesome site... The chopper sure looks sleek!
RKumar

Post by RKumar »

Anantz wrote:Caught the LCH doing a couple of rounds above HAL airport just now. It was accompanied by a chase Dhruv. After 3 - 4 rounds, the Dhruv gave way and the LCH started flying solo, it flew a circle towards Leela palace side and turned around towards the airport. Was an awesome site... The chopper sure looks sleek!
Keep the good news flowing :D
vonkabra
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vonkabra »

Very cool black colour scheme. From the side it looked more sporty than menacing but from the underside it's a torpedo with rotors attached.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

Saw the LCH too.

but before that sortie at around 5 PM, I saw one orange coloured heli doing rounds over marathahalli. It didnt seem like Dhruv or LCH.

Yesterday saw a green painted fighter coming to land at the same time. Should be Hawk
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2010/04/l ... -past.html

Some mean pictures in that link on MAK's blog.

from the same post
A leading aviation photographer, who spotted the aircraft from his office terrace, told tarmak007 that the from beneath the chopper looked like a crocodile.
err.. how many leading aviation photographers are there in bangalore...???
sbangera
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sbangera »

Looks like they have incorporated next gen "camera cloaking" features and advanced flight planning. Isint it uncanny that a flight is reported just when the jingo's camera is just out of reach. :wink:

Sorry just whingeing about lack of new picutes.
Raman
BRFite

Post by Raman »

^^^

I love the wheel chocks used for the LCH in that frontal three-quarter view photo. :)

Even if HAL is spending all its time drinking nimbu pani, they've built quite a machine to get the nimbu pani in the first place. :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2010/04/l ... -past.html

Some mean pictures in that link on MAK's blog.

from the same post
A leading aviation photographer, who spotted the aircraft from his office terrace, told tarmak007 that the from beneath the chopper looked like a crocodile.
err.. how many leading aviation photographers are there in bangalore...???
How many Bangalore photographers have offices (and even homes!!) now in the area? How many Bangalore aviation photographers contribute to the media?

..you guessed it.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Anantz wrote:Caught the LCH doing a couple of rounds above HAL airport just now. It was accompanied by a chase Dhruv. After 3 - 4 rounds, the Dhruv gave way and the LCH started flying solo, it flew a circle towards Leela palace side and turned around towards the airport. Was an awesome site... The chopper sure looks sleek!
I assume you do not have a terrace view nor a good camera. Else we could make you a top notch reporter.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

More from Tramak

That is one Khatarnaak beauty !!!
AK Phyrr - RPG Phyrr
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Gagan wrote:More from Tramak

That is one Khatarnaak beauty !!!
AK Phyrr - RPG Phyrr
Oh boy She is one son-of-a-bitch. 8) 8) 8)

Or is she the bitch personified. :roll: :roll: :roll:

k
sawant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sawant »

I wish they called the LCH 'Shera'... and the LCA 'Teja'... daaku isshtyle... wud sound more menacing :-)
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Can't wait to see fully armed configuration

# Empty weight: 2550 kg (5621 lb)
# Loaded weight: 4000 kg (8818 lb)
# Useful load: 2950 kg (6503 lb)

What does "Loaded Weight" mean, includes fuel etc?
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Light Combat Helicopter Makes Six Flights
AVIATION WEEK
Light Combat Helicopter Makes Six Flights
Apr 21, 2010

By Anantha Krishnan
BANGALORE, India

India’s new Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), which had its first unofficial flight on March 29, has made five more test flights ahead of its first official outing in May.

Its makers at the Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) are currently putting the helicopter through initial flying lessons. Insiders confirmed to Aviation Week that so far six flights have been made, including an aborted one owing to bad weather.

Based on the proven Dhruv platform, the slim and sleek aircraft has a tandem configuration, embedded with stealth features and glass cockpit. “The performance has been excellent so far and the entire team is pleased. It’s a very steady platform,” HAL chairman Ashok Nayak told Aviation Week.

Aviation Week has learned that the pilots, for the first time, flew over nearby areas of HAL airport, including a fly-past over the airfield runway. Reporting flight details for the first time, program sources said that they shifted the LCH flights from the Alpha helipad (inside HAL’s fortified helicopter complex) to the nearby airport, after gaining confidence in the aircraft’s systems and performance.

The pilots accelerated close to 150 kph from one end of the runway to other and checked the performance of the aircraft. In later flights, they flew over the airfield and within a flight-test sector, did turns and came close to maximum speed, sources said.

The pilots also flew without the armament wing to test the performance in forward flight, briefing designers about the results. The designers were delighted on hearing that LCH had very little vibration and gave excellent aiming options.

The pilots opened up the envelope hoping to perform minimum maneuvers during the much-awaited inaugural flight. HAL is tight-lipped over the exact date of the official flight, but it is expected in May.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

sawant wrote:I wish they called the LCH 'Shera'... and the LCA 'Teja'... daaku isshtyle... wud sound more menacing :-)
There is already an attack helo called Tiger. I wonder why HAL has that Tiger picture on the sides of the LCH.
Have they selected a name for this bird?
You're right, they might be veering towards a 'Shera' to give illustrious company to 'Tejas' :((
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gagan wrote:
sawant wrote:I wish they called the LCH 'Shera'... and the LCA 'Teja'... daaku isshtyle... wud sound more menacing :-)
There is already an attack helo called Tiger. I wonder why HAL has that Tiger picture on the sides of the LCH.
Have they selected a name for this bird?
You're right, they might be veering towards a 'Shera' to give illustrious company to 'Tejas' :((
"Bagh" is the word for Tiger.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

^^ Shiv sir, bagh, if i am right is a panther, not tiger. Sher is the word for tiger....
I suggest the we name this baby Snow Leopard... Since it is basically designed to hunt in the mountains...
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Bagh=Tiger
Sher=Simha=Lion
Tendua=panther/black leopard
merlin
BRF Oldie

Post by merlin »

Bala Vignesh wrote:^^ Shiv sir, bagh, if i am right is a panther, not tiger. Sher is the word for tiger....
I suggest the we name this baby Snow Leopard... Since it is basically designed to hunt in the mountains...
Tendua = leopard
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

I think we should name it "tenzing norgay" since it is designed to operate on great heights in mountains.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

If im not mistaken, LCH is in the air ( saw from very long distance, so bit unclear).

Could anyone confirm a sighting of the tiger?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

If its for complementing LCA, then it should be the name of another element. Tejas means light or radiance. Maybe something like "Vayu" or "Pawan". Though I think there is something already named "Pawan". Is it so?
pralay
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by pralay »

negi wrote:Bagh=Tiger
Sher=Simha=Lion
Actually its
Bagh == sher == Tiger
and Lion == Babbar-Sher
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sher==bagh==shardul==byaghra==tiger
simha==singha==babbar-sher==lion.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

No,

Strictly speaking in Shuddh hindi
Bagh= Tiger.

and Singh= Lion.

In Hindustani and Chalti bhasha we end up using bagh and sher interchangeably. also because Kipling popularized the character of sher khan

Sher is a persian word.

And babbar is a word used extensively in Punjabi. Probably derived from babar in persian which also means lion
Last edited by D Roy on 22 Apr 2010 12:47, edited 2 times in total.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The picture on the side of the WSI Dhruv looks like a Cheetah / Leopard.

But the cheetah has also been named for the alouette helo. Though the cheetah would have been a very good name for an Indian attack helo.
Manu
BRFite

Post by Manu »

Whatever the name may be, am I the only one who is (slightly) thrown-off by the large amount of glass used. See the following pics for reference.

Apache
Cobra
Hind
Agusta A129 Mangusta
Eurocopter Tiger

Now see our own: LCH

Was it to bring the weight down?