INS Arihant (ATV) News and Discussion -2

SNaik
BRFite

Re: INS Arihant (ATV) News and Discussion -2

Post by SNaik »

Looks like Amur with VLS and a stretch for accommodation of reactor unit.
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

SNaik wrote:Looks like Amur with VLS and a stretch for accommodation of reactor unit.
yes it does look quite like an Amur from up front and the general contour is similar, but can't tell much about the rear of the sub from the picture..
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

That white line could be the sea water line.
Plimsoll line? Looks like it.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

SNaik wrote:Looks like Amur with VLS and a stretch for accommodation of reactor unit.
Yep Kilo family indeed , infact the yellow/white patch on top of the fore section is very similar to the Kilo.

Here check the plate of the fore section slightly different shade (Navy watermark)

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/ima ... nch_lg.jpg

Arihant pic again for comparasion. (white section)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/T ... 718188.JPG
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gagan wrote:I played around with an image editing software to see if I could see anything more in that picture.
Yes I did that too and I thought I saw a vertical tail "fin"
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Agree with Shiv. I can see a vertical fin at the back. It is clearly visible in the photo in Shiv's post. However, though I can make out the hump, it doesn't come out as clearly in Gagan's photo. Gagan Bhai, are you sure you don't have the original?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Okay what does it all mean? Why release a picture now, why not with the coconut?
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Probably because the second fish is about to slip in the water and there is confidence about the reactor. That is obvious isn't it?
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

It has been to sea, meaning the US knows its dimensions and has high resolution pics. So what is the harz in Indians getting a glimpse.

I would conclude thus.
Anant
BRFite

Post by Anant »

Shiv,

I see something like a vertical fin also if I gray scale and invert the image (aka negative it). It is after the contour at the end of the boat. Maybe I am hallucinating but what the heck. It's still cool. The open missile tube is quite evident. I bet someone with brains (not me) can measure the size of the tube.
Patrick Cusack
BRFite

Post by Patrick Cusack »

Based on the person standing on the deck - it is a lot larger than Kile almost Los Angeles size. Also, it is definitely in the 11000 tonne range and there are 2 reactors for sure.
vardhank
BRFite

Post by vardhank »

@ Gagan

uncanny rendering :D if the aug 2009 date given in the details is correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arihant_1.jpg
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

to me its general shape and looks matches the ohio much more than amur. due to tall tubes the missile section is likely oval cross section as in ohio.
the delta class also has those big fins on the sail...
the front end torpedo room was patched in from kilo/amur going by external looks. makes sense - proven ushus sonar, kilo torpedo eqpt -> less headache.

hoping for better pix soon.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Shiv ji I hope that the thing labelled as 'hatch' is indeed a hatch only and not a boxy raised platform for the VL tubes. :-?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

sure looks like a long sub. 100m+ range. not one of those starved looking UK trafalgar ssns trying to make a virtue out of being small and super-cramped.

negi the hatch is open and you can see people standing nearby....there aint no delta-iv/Jin style dabba on top :P

once proper SSBN start coming online 2020, mashallah this design with 12 sub caliber tubes could deliver a devastating salvo of nirbhay/brahmos
at any place on the globe. the real sea denial fun will begin then. until then we have *only* a Akula or two to play with :oops:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

negi wrote:^ Shiv ji I hope that the thing labelled as 'hatch' is indeed a hatch only and not a boxy raised platform for the VL tubes. :-?
If it is - there will be only one missile. I guess it had better be good hain? :lol:
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

sanjaykumar wrote:Okay what does it all mean? Why release a picture now, why not with the coconut?
IE to carries the same pic of Arihant.
Hope the article answers the timing question
UPA report card surprise: A look at n-submarine
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

Arun In India Forum has posted that Arihant is not withdrawing power from Nuclear Plant but from on board Power source ... Here is what he is saying

"Arihant is being tested using on board power source and not the main N power plant.

Yes the main power plant rating is much higher than earlier anticipation.

In terms of speed it will match the top speed of Akula"

ya but of course putting up a pic in there report UPA has indeed hinted that things are rather heading progressively
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Drawing based on the picture of the arihant.

Sorry for the larger size:
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Sandeep Unnithan's drawings are the most accurate. He has a good eye for detail, and can draw accurately as well. This was as good a job as could have been done in the limited time that the media was allowed into the yard.

I think I can see the PM in this drawing. Note the first figure on the right on top of the missile compartment :)
Last edited by Gagan on 02 Jun 2010 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

There is no stepped bulge behind the bridge – it’s streamlined. The aft of the sail contrasted with the farther side of the hull is giving an incorrect impression of bulge. IN design priorities were 1. reliable powerplant 2. hydrodynamic & structurally capable hull 3. sensor fit followed by 4. weapons. Missiles were designed around the submarine and not the other way round, so no turtleback unlike others.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

parshuram wrote:Arun In India Forum has posted that Arihant is not withdrawing power from Nuclear Plant but from on board Power source ... Here is what he is saying
Ideally one would like to have independent corroboration of information for which there is a single point source, which can never definitely be established as accurate or inaccurate. Sometimes the same single point source can be grossly mistaken.

The Arihant has been kept under wraps and I am skeptical of odd sources of purported inside information.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

It is poss. to access info,I'm sure,but one would prefer for details to arrive as they are doing,as why give the enemy advance info what?!
Looking at the pic,the first striking feature is that it resembles from the bow a "big brother" to a Kilo,indicating some design commonality regarding the sonar and its layout,which is obviously much larger than that of the upgraded Kilos supposedly with an Indian designed sonar.The hull looks more streamlined and shows no major bulge abaft the fin,as in PLAN SSBNs,which in those subs slope down on either side of the sail.However,if larger missiles eventually arrive on future ATVs,we might see a hump.The sail looks as if it has had a Russian godfather(!),from one of their SSBN designs and should suffice as very high speeds are rarely used by SSBNs.A small "tusk" at the root of the forward part of the sail is customary these days with vertically oriented sails,to improve quieting.We should see more pics arriving as days go by so let's just wait and enjoy the suspense!
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I think this is more streamlined:
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Gagan wrote:So why didn't the Pakistanis get all these from their friends and masters hain ji?

I know:
1. Either it was not free
2. The pakistanis did not have foresight or vision to procure these.
3. The ghoos money was not enough, or that ghoos was not properly negotiated.
4. The west was not willing to give that tech to the pakistanis - there goes the bosom buddy line.

Either way, why cry now? Are the Chinese holding back on giving you that leaking rust bucket, radiation spewing Xia class?
Maybe
Mandarin to Urdu translators are on strike

Green colored painted suitable for underwater is not available

K
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

I can see a streamlined bulge, not a step, and have marked it with an arrow
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

Gagan wrote: But the photo quality sucks big time. It is not helped by the sodium lamps inside the covered dockyard, and strong sunlight on the outside. Perhaps the phtographer's equipment could have been better. They should get Kedar Karmakar to do a photo walkaround the sub.
Maybe the lights are kept on purpose some that the details are not very clear and visible

K
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

No no, the lighting inside the yard is like this onlee (As in we are like this onlee)
The image itself published by shiv aroor was probably a smaller image, which has been resized to a larger size, hence a lot of pixelization on the image.
I wonder if the photographer did a white balance of his camera to adjust for the sodium vapour lamps inside the yard.
Perhaps this has been taken from a consumer digicam, not a professional digital SLR?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Russia's new Borei class SSBN. It is going to replace the Delta class. The delta class are the main nuclear delivery subs of the Russian Navy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borei_class

Notice its reverse angled conning tower. It looks like " |____/ "
Last edited by Gagan on 02 Jun 2010 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

[offtopic]

Guys dont forget the gr8 news in LCA dhaga

:)

[/offtopic]
Last edited by krishnan on 02 Jun 2010 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Gagan,

The hull gradually inclines upward from the bow like the Type 209/1500 below. The maximum diameter of the hull is at the missile tubes behind the sail, exactly like the Type 209/1500 image. Thereafter it tapers back sharply towards the rudder.

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Imag ... umar11.jpg

The closest I can think of is a carrot/radish to explain the hull.

There is no raised turtleback because it affects hydrodynamics and IN was keen to avoid. Stealth is a submarine’s calling card.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I had drawn one drawing like that for the arihant, essentially it starts to slope forwards from the missile tubes all the way to the sonar up front, and then drops into a smooth curve.
And there is likely another smooth curve aft of the missile tubes until it meets the aft section of the sub.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Gagan's drg. is the most accurate so far.Kudos old bean! What is an interesting feature is the uniform slope from bow to missile silos,without the unsightly humpback configuraion abaft the bow that one sees on many SSBN classes.This streamlining of the ATV's hull will definitely improve quieting and reduce noise generated by the hull form.We'll have to wait for other reports which will give us an idea of its underwater noise generation and the quietness of its reactor and machinery/
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

There is sunshine everywhere, but not drop in the Chosen land.
No Arihant pics in the land that promised exclusive first look :((
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Gagan, your last picture is it.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Yes Gagan's last drawing is very close to the real thing , Great Stuff Gagan !

The pics of ATV are adequately distorted to hide the hull area which carries the SLBM , infact most stuff behind sail looks deliberately distorted
nishu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by nishu »

The Hunt For Red October Has Started