INS Arihant (ATV) News and Discussion -2

merlin
BRF Oldie

Re: INS Arihant (ATV) News and Discussion -2

Post by merlin »

Gagan wrote:No no, the lighting inside the yard is like this onlee (As in we are like this onlee)
The image itself published by shiv aroor was probably a smaller image, which has been resized to a larger size, hence a lot of pixelization on the image.
I wonder if the photographer did a white balance of his camera to adjust for the sodium vapour lamps inside the yard.
Perhaps this has been taken from a consumer digicam, not a professional digital SLR?
IIRC cameras were not allowed inside. This one looks like a low end cell phone camera image upsized by quite a bit.
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

No point discussing about the pic quality, lighting, camera etc..
Navy has released this picture to reveal as much as they want to reveal.. lot of thought, scuritiny and analysis might have been carried out before releasing this photo..
vardhank
BRFite

Post by vardhank »

Gagan, just one change I think you might make to your last illo... the upward/rearward curve from the sonar dome to the hump (whatever there is of it) ends at the front part of the sail, not behind the sail... i think the 'hump' flattens out (the line goes horizontal) from there already, so the sail is a perfect oblong, without a slanted line across the bottom.
Awesome job!
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

Following is 1:1 scan of Arihant from the UPA report card.. it is not pixeleted hence some of the details are more prominent

For complete UPA-II report.. Arihant photo is under the "Security" section
http://pmindia.nic.in/english_report_01.06.10.pdf
Last edited by dinesha on 02 Jun 2010 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

No vardhank, read my earlier post, it is indeed inclined from dome till hump.
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

i am not the expert but after seeing gagan's last picture it look like very similar to graney class...

dimension and displacement is also very similar. :)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

yuk yuk yankee class http://perch-base.org/Glossary/Graphics ... marine.jpg

I think its most similar to yankee class among RuN subs.

in rough LOOKS only ofcourse and a better shaping on exterior.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

From outside it looks like a Los Angeles class SS to me.
More like an Ohio Class SSBN.
Looks like Amur
Yep Kilo family indeed
yuk yuk yankee class
To me it looks like an Arihant class submarine. :)
heard of some wet pants turning brown across the border...
Anoop. A.
BRFite

Post by Anoop. A. »

abhijitm wrote:To me it looks like an Arihant class submarine. :)
and really proud to call it our own....
abhijitm wrote:heard of some wet pants turning brown across the border...
Nice... :wink: i couldnt have said it any better...
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Singha wrote:yuk yuk yankee class http://perch-base.org/Glossary/Graphics ... marine.jpg
I think its most similar to yankee class among RuN subs.
in rough LOOKS only ofcourse and a better shaping on exterior.
The best comparison done so far in terms of displacement and goals.
Yankee could be labelled as baby-boomer too. Built to be an SSBN with the performance of an SSN.

The technology at that time permitted only short-range ballistic missiles and
an unreliable reactor. But that should not be a problem now.

For the Arihant, its the acoustics that might be a problem given that we have a reactor inside a relatively small hull.
Though its not the Rubis class and thus the problem does not lie with the basic concept.

~Ashish
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

the as-is size as extracted from the PDF document is slightly bigger

The "hump" turned out to be an interplay between a rope and the sun coupled with a shoddy camera work [possibly deliberate]
Torpedo tube doors visible above waterline
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

Singha sir,

I agree it looks a bit similar to the yankee class. The yankee had a displacement of 7500 tons.

The yankee notch 667AT yankee notch was a modification of original to fire the SS-N-21 and SS-N-24 cruise missiles.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/sl ... 42_JPG.jpg

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/slbm/667a_05.jpg

One really good thing i see about arihant is absence of flood holes.
Misraji
BRFite

Post by Misraji »

Gagan wrote:I had drawn one drawing like that for the arihant, essentially it starts to slope forwards from the missile tubes all the way to the sonar up front, and then drops into a smooth curve.
And there is likely another smooth curve aft of the missile tubes until it meets the aft section of the sub.
Gagan saar, you have depicted the hump(if you can call it that) as extending considerably behind the sail.
Almost with similar relative dimensions to any SSBN.

However, isn't the Arihant supposed to be armed with only 4 full-dia missile tubes.
So maybe the hump should not extend significantly behind the sail.

~Ashish
Last edited by Misraji on 03 Jun 2010 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

It looks like the Arihant class. PERIOD.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Misraji wrote:Gagan saar, you have depicted the hump(if you can call it that) as extending considerably behind the sail.
Almost with similar relative dimensions to any SSBN.

However, isn't the Arihant supposed to be armed with only 4 full-dia missile tubes.
So maybe the hump should not extend significantly behind the sail.

~Ashish
I don't know. I haven't actually seen the sub. This is more like an educated guess, or like 'a blind man trying to describe the elephant'

I still wonder, what's the need to be so secretive about a sub's outer shape? The real stuff is inside. GoI should release some good quality photos of the submarine. Not releasing the photos is more of a political decision, I guess 'out of sight, out of mind' thing applies here.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

tsarkar wrote:Gagan, your last picture is it.
Thanks for the tips tsarkar garu.
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

Lots of distortions in the picture that was released. The people at the helm of UPA are not stupid. I am sure they must have sat with the IN brass and hammered out how to release and what to cover up.
One deception that is clear as daylight is the finish on the hull. It looks massively banged up or sloppily done. From the picture it looks like it is fodder for sonar. Come on. Do you really think that a force that can built a stealth ship like Shivalik is gonna produce a strategic platform like that?
I doubt if that is even the real Arihant. Probably the real Arihant is somewhere underwater still undergoing trials/tests while a mock-up or a well done photoshop ploy.
Avram
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

what is the function of the drain holes in Jin class?
even U-boats had them.
http://www.fallingpixel.com/products/93 ... er%201.jpg
vavinash
BRFite

Post by vavinash »

If there is a factory recall on the reactor or other parts they can row it back to port.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Avram,
That uneven surface that you see on the sub is due to the anechoic tiles pasted on the surface of the sub.

These are made of special rubber like material, and are about a square foot or so in size. These are then pasted on the surface of the outer hull of the submarine. Their purpose is to further reduce noise produced from within the submarine from coming out.

The americans initially laughed at the soviets for putting these on their subs. But today, nearly every sub manufacturer seems to be doing this., even the americans.

Vavinash,
The reactor is tested on the ground before the reactor section is welded into the submarine. Unless some major event occurs, naval reactors don't usually need to be majorly overhauled. The one on the Arihant needs refuelling with new fuel rods every 10 years or so, and for that the submarine will come into the dry dock, the reactor compartment will be cut aside, and the reactor removed, serviced and replaced. The option is to refuel the rods in the reactor, perhaps this can be done without cutting open the sub.
Depends on which design philosophy BARC adopted - A fully sealed reactor that needs replacement when the fuel runs out (requiring the reactor to be removed from the sub by cutting it up), or a reactor where fuel rods only can be replaced.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

What is the chance that its an SSN onleee? IIRC in 1990's the plan was 3 SSN's initially and 2 SSBN's. I don't see any humps on the sub.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Not expecting this question from you, Chacko, of all people :)

From the horse’s mouth - http://www.hindustantimes.com/Arihant-t ... 09620.aspx
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Don't forget that after the missile silos comes the reactor compartment,which would also require a hull diameter of similar size,as the missiles on the ATV are not of ICBM size.where either the hull is even larger in size or a distinctive hump is featured.So extending the hull in plane form after the missiles explains why Gagan's drg. is so.There was also another sketch by a service officer afer the launch in the F-mag.Again slightly fudged but quite similar.

As for the SSGNs in the future,from the tiny drg. in an old issue of the F-mag,the 3+ SSGNs following on appear to be quite similar.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

tsarkar wrote:Not expecting this question from you, Chacko, of all people :)

From the horse’s mouth - http://www.hindustantimes.com/Arihant-t ... 09620.aspx
:D Things I ask to get stuff verified from my sources is even worse. Thanks for that and I have seen that.
Philip wrote:Don't forget that after the missile silos comes the reactor compartment,which would also require a hull diameter of similar size,as the missiles on the ATV are not of ICBM size.where either the hull is even larger in size or a distinctive hump is featured.So extending the hull in plane form after the missiles explains why Gagan's drg. is so.There was also another sketch by a service officer afer the launch in the F-mag.Again slightly fudged but quite similar.

As for the SSGNs in the future,from the tiny drg. in an old issue of the F-mag,the 3+ SSGNs following on appear to be quite similar.
See I too have similar info. But, I had this nagging feeling to ask. Especially the hump on Gagan's drawing started to shrink.
Journos had mentioned seeing an hump. Why is the hump not there now?

Added later....

IMO most people who saw the sub had appreciated the earlier photo by Gagan.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

There is good deal of Ingenuity in British Sub design both the Vanguard and the Astute have very unconventional design , they did not choose the tried and tested Albacore type we see in Western subs i.e US subs even very modern ones and the French types.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the only other modern subs (non british) with that look of sail and tallboy hull design is the HDW U212 series.
http://airalex.homestead.com/files/U_212.jpg

the british-germans may have done some R&D together perhaps? or one stole / cloned from the other but U212, Astute SSN and vanguard SSBN feature the same look.

the older british trafalgar class / swiftsure class had the conventional look
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations- ... hms-torbay

looking at astute cutaway, the ballast tanks seem to be along the top of the ship accounting for its tall hull outside
the water. and it doesnt feature the house sized spherical bow sonar of the LA/nssn/seawolf class unless the drawing
is deliberately misleading. if its sphercial, is much smaller than the LA sphere.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/ ... _image.pdf

this slide indicates the thales 2076 in astute is a cylinder shaped, which fits in with the nose shape.
http://aviationweek.typepad.com/photos/ ... lide_2.png

the american sphere shape may not be the last word
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

Some more Photoshopping.Front portion of the hull clearly reveals 2 torp tubes.Could't get it to do any more magic.
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6223/insarihant.png
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

abhijitm wrote:
From outside it looks like a Los Angeles class SS to me.
More like an Ohio Class SSBN.
Looks like Amur
Yep Kilo family indeed
yuk yuk yankee class
To me it looks like an Arihant class submarine. :)
heard of some wet pants turning brown across the border...
Reminds me of our old school story of blond men and an elephant. One blindman feels the tail says the elephant is like a rope, another blindman feels the trunk says the elephant is like a snake. Perhaps we all are groping in the dark.

I only hope in gives wet pants to our neighbours in the west and east and ...

K
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Singha wrote:the british-germans may have done some R&D together perhaps? or one stole / cloned from the other but U212, Astute SSN and vanguard SSBN feature the same look.
Hmm not possible , Submarine technology specially Nuke submarine technology are jealously guarded by each country , even munna and khan do not share much in those area. Most countries have their own unique design based on their own R&D in those areas.

The Germans have their own unique sub design and can be attributed to their own R&D.

Yes Astute do have some attribute of Vanguard but the next gen of SSBN from Brits 3 such have been planned will derive greatly from Astute design to save on R&D cost associated with new SSBN design , hence the next gen of SSBN will have much more similarity to Astute design.

There are sub conference held time to time where informal exchange of ideas within Naval submarine communities take place. IMO the Vanguard and Borei design stand apart from the crowd.
the american sphere shape may not be the last word
American sub is as much about hype as about substance , a Russian Admiral was quoted as saying that facing British Submarine was much difficult challenge then American ones.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Austin_ > Nuke technology MTCR is only applicable to SDRE's. Without American missiles and parts, Britain wont have nucler subs. Similarly look at how America, Australia and the WEST are turning away from the NPT, MTCR, NSG has been made defunct by China's transfers to Pakis. It seems all these rules apply to India only.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Here is the latest rendition of the ATV: (click for larger image)

This is what the Journalists saw:

And this is the full sub:

chackojoseph, tsarkar, Austin, Philip, saars please give your feedback. Is this what its like?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Austin wrote: American sub is as much about hype as about substance , a Russian Admiral was quoted as saying that facing British Submarine was much difficult challenge then American ones.
Austin bhai has to conclude with a boot up the Unkil's behind . :mrgreen:
bhavani
BRFite

Post by bhavani »

Flood holes are present on the casing of the submarine and allow free flooding and allowing water to enter freely and trapped air to escape.

But flood holes increase noise and hydrodynamic drag. so the new submarines are doing away with the flood holes. Some boats like akula have a few still left.

More the number of drainage holes, More the noise. For Ex the 094 class of china has around 100 flood holes and in fact has the noise signature of a 1960 soviet SSBN. The chinese 093 SSn also has more noise than a 1970's Victor class.

http://www.armscontrolwonk.com/1579/how ... the-094-23

In the Arihant picture it is great that we don't see any flood holes till now. I hope it does not have any.
tsarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by tsarkar »

Gagan, the incline from bow to missile launchers is gentle and uniform. I see inclination angle increase halfway from the sail, which is not the case. You have got the other parts quite accurate.

Added later - Also reduce the height of the missile deck by a milimeter. The hump is not prominent. It is diffused with the hull, like a belouga whale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beluga_size.svg

Though the hump can be discerned. I suggest reducing height by one mm will have the desired results.
Last edited by tsarkar on 03 Jun 2010 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Gagan,

The area immediate behind the conning is a concave surface. Its not light reflection issue IMHO, to start with.

Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I thought so too, that looks concave, so I've put in that concavity there.

The closest representation is the Amur design with the Brahmos VLS tubes.
http://www.acig.org/artman/uploads/amur2.jpg
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

I frankly don't see anything concave behind the conning in Amur. As I see, the conning is in the middle of a concave. But, in Arihant, the concavity starts after the conning. The front portion of Arihant is Half convex till the conning. The conning stands between the two focal surfaces.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Aditya_V wrote:Austin_ > Nuke technology MTCR is only applicable to SDRE's. Without American missiles and parts, Britain wont have nucler subs. Similarly look at how America, Australia and the WEST are turning away from the NPT, MTCR, NSG has been made defunct by China's transfers to Pakis. It seems all these rules apply to India only.
Aditya_V I was referring about Nuke Sub Technology and the Sub itself ( Not NPT and MTCR ) its true UK subs uses US SLBM D-5 and US has helped them in validating their Nuke warhead , as far as Sub technology goes ( Design ,Reactor ,Sonars , C&C etc ) they are all developed by UK and thats equally true for all countries.

I think the concaveness is more smoother/streamlined for ATV compared to Amur because ATV is a larger/longer sub, the Amur under scanner is the smallest in all the Amur class family "Amur-950" hence the concave is quite apparent , steeper and shorter due to its size.
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

Gagan, it seems that the bow part between the sonar cover and conn has some kind of narrow superstructure. So, there's a uniform rise from bow to hump, but on top of that uniform rise is a superstructure which provides for level deck in front of conn.
I'd also consider putting a sonar cover below torps, like in Kilo. It's highly unlikely that the sub is designed just with navigation sonar.