Indian Autos Thread

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Autos Thread

Post by Prem »

Suzuki's India output to outstrip Japan's: report
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/suzuki ... 2010-06-15
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Japanese auto maker Suzuki Motor Corp. (JP:7269 1,890, +53.00, +2.89%) /quotes/comstock/11i!szkmf (SZKMF 19.92, +0.32, +1.63%) will increase passenger-car production capacity in India to 1.45 million units in 2012, which would eclipse its domestic production in Japan for the first time, according to a report Wednesday. The Nikkei business daily reported that subsidiary Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. will upgrade its two existing factories to increase capacity, in addition to building a third plant slated to start production in spring 2012. Suzuki's annual production capacity in Japan is now around 1.4 million vehicles, according to the report
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Clogged Rail Lines Slow India’s Development
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/16/busin ... il.html?hp
To subsidize passenger travel, the railways levy some of the highest freight tariffs in the world. India charges $395 to move a ton of freight one kilometer — four times what American companies charge and twice as much as in China. Business executives say their best hopes for improving the railroad’s costs and capabilities may ride on solutions not wholly reliant on Indian Railways. Four years ago, the government began allowing private companies to operate container trains. One of the new carriers is IndiaLinx, which buys rail cars and leases tracks, locomotives and workers from the Railways.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

nachiket wrote:Guys what is the view on the Indigo Manza? How does it compare with the competition? Dad was looking to replace 5-6 year old diesel Indigo at the end of the year. He seemed to be quite taken in by the features offered in it for the price. I checked out their website. The features on the top of the line model do seem like something you would only find in TFTA civic, corolla types. Moi was always the car 'expert' in the family but having been out of desh for 2 years means I'm completely out of touch with the automobile market there. Some help would be appreciated.
The ONLY problem with Manza is that badge with a T on it. If you are ok with that, go for it. It is a great car, as good as any other in the market, with better features.

To copy an ad from massa, "It is not your dad's Tata"
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

imo that T logo looks very outdated. they should change it to a sharper one like the Acura or Honda batman horns.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Dileep wrote:
nachiket wrote:Guys what is the view on the Indigo Manza? How does it compare with the competition? Dad was looking to replace 5-6 year old diesel Indigo at the end of the year. He seemed to be quite taken in by the features offered in it for the price. I checked out their website. The features on the top of the line model do seem like something you would only find in TFTA civic, corolla types. Moi was always the car 'expert' in the family but having been out of desh for 2 years means I'm completely out of touch with the automobile market there. Some help would be appreciated.
The ONLY problem with Manza is that badge with a T on it. If you are ok with that, go for it. It is a great car, as good as any other in the market, with better features.

To copy an ad from massa, "It is not your dad's Tata"
And 'T' guys seem to be trying hard to undo the 'Taxi' image associated with the Indica/Indigo brand. They seem to be restricting taxi sales of even the Vista.

Interestingly, the SRK was one place where I encountered a lot of Vista taxis. Doesn't seem to be the case elsewhere. Would be causing a lot of heartburn in the TTML HQ I guess.

Manza OTOH, by most accounts seems to be a good vehicle and excellent value. Somebody even commented that the interior space seems to be on par with the Altis.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

If you want to know about Manza, then reach out to VikB. No one knows it better than him!
Me thinks that manza is great value for money.
But there is something not ok about its rear bumper, the bottom seems to get distorted
bart
BRFite

Post by bart »

Check out the back seat space, its awesome. After sitting in other cars in the category like Dzire, Fiesta etc, sitting in a Manza is like getting an upgrade from Economy to First Class on a flight.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

tchandr wrote:Mahindra's partner in US for launching its truck has filed a lawsuit against M&M. Lawsuit is related to the delay in launching the trucks in US.
Question to gurus, how bad is this?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/06/ma ... elays.html
This is what I had posted a while back in this very thread...
manish wrote: Mahindra's launch plans have become something of a joke in US auto circles. People have lost count of the number of times they have missed their own launch deadlines. The latest one is set to be sometime around August or so - they miss this one, they are almost surely history. Their USP was a small truck with a clean diesel engine - someone else may step in and claim that spot in the market if they keep dragging their feet. Apparently the EPA certification wasn't in their hands yet as of last week or so.

But to their credit, they did generate some positive PR from the US pickup truck community with a first drive carried out by pickuptrucks.com - now they have to ensure that they hold on to it and build on it. I hope they do well!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

took delivery of car today. noticed a line of 4 AHNC all red ribboned waiting for delivery today, with a solitary accord. the ANHC parking sensor array even has two on the edges of front bumper - nice.

managed to drive it to office and then home without any scratch yet - mashallah. the 16" tyres vs 13" in santro is able to soak up bumps much
better along with a better suspension and heavier weight. the steering wheel is small and easy to turn, almost like a kids cycle.

the big opposed wipers are amazing, a couple of swishes and all pakrain was swatted away.

sales being a bit soft, they gave the karporate "discount" (20k) without any hassle and also threw in rubber mats, two H logo pillows,
a jar of korean lime scent, a ganesha statue and a box of chocolates as complimentary. a guy did puja and applied sindoor to wheels
and steering wheel and we had a "handover" ceremony with a big fake key and photo.

finally mashallah - ready to head towards salem and the open water.... SSNs are a waste in ulsoor lake. :lol:

kid was quite pleased and demanded he be allowed to drive since he had "read books and magazines and know everything". I sat him on lap
and went around the building once to log in his LSP-1 hours :rotfl:
Shalav
BRFite

Post by Shalav »

Congrats on the purchase.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

Congrats. 8) Do we get to see some pics?
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

^^^ Congrats on the SSN, GD saar. Today is supposed to be a very auspicious day as well.
Singha wrote:
sales being a bit soft, they gave the karporate "discount" (20k) without any hassle and also threw in rubber mats, two H logo pillows,
a jar of korean lime scent, a ganesha statue and a box of chocolates as complimentary. a guy did puja and applied sindoor to wheels
and steering wheel and we had a "handover" ceremony with a big fake key and photo.

finally mashallah - ready to head towards salem and the open water.... SSNs are a waste in ulsoor lake. :lol:
The above seems to be the norm for other cars as well. Dad took charge of his stead (Vista Safire) earlier today. We got the sunfilm and under body rust treatment thrown in as well.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Drive safe GD-San...

Does it have airbags/ABS ? What are the planned mods ?
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Singhaji what model is ANHC?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

vipul in team bhp language OHC - old honda city (the roomier looking more upright one). ANHC- all new honda city - the current one with the arrowshot design. google for "team bhp indian car scene" to land directly on their forum. its a useful read if you are looking for car info.

nayak sir, it has every accessory I could want and a few more - I didnt really even need rear parking sensor but came with my trim level. I am not upgrading alloys or tyres to some bigger size...got bridgestone tyres oem - fanboys always insist on michelin and have the dealer swap tires with cars that got michelin oem....seems a few months they go one way and then another buying in large bulk probably to get best deals...anyways I am not a "performance driver" and wont know the difference at normal speeds. *anything* is a MLU upg from my 13" J&K ultima on santro that squeal and
shake even on mild high speed cornering !

airbags/abs are standard on even higher side of hatchbacks these days. some kinda ati adhunik bideshi stuff like EBD and EBA (electronic brake distrib/brake assist) is there in mine but customer invisible.

best feature - there is a + - switch to light up or dim the blue dashboard backlighting....to normal or fanboy levels !

thank you Shalav sir.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

suzuki has released a big ad for a muscular scooter of sorts. and it has plans to sell bigger bikes in india.

I feel if honda , yamaha and suzuki bring there 250cc fuel efficient bikes to india, the bajaj/hero/tvs will also be forced to respond and upgrade
tech levels. currently the scene is very stagnant for 5 yrs with same old same old 150cc models with style variations being sold. only bajaj eliminator
and tvs karizma broke the mould and tried something different.

the yamaha bikes seem to have a too-short wheelbase to me and some sharp metal rods and panels which women might find cuts their legs and
ankles if in rear seat.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Please get a really annoying and loud reverse parking horn. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Loud enough to wake up everyone and let them know that you have 'arrived'.

I guess you will enjoy the 'feel' of the car once you take it on a highway. I know I did when I let her rip on the trip to Mysore.

I am waiting for one of my buddy to come back to bangalore. Then go for a small step by step upgrade for my baby.

Planning to go for
* Rear Spoiler
* Michelin 205 sized tires
* ICE upgrade
* GPS mod
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well our car parking is beneath building on ground level and from 1st floor up there are flats. my santro had come with such a loud reverse parking
beep beep alarm but I graciously disconnected the cable under the hood after a couple days - esp on early morning trips to HAL airport it was downright rude.

my motto in life is to live like a politician - have decent money but go around as a fumble harmer wearing khadi and saying namaskar "I am a servant of the people onree"
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

nayak, what purpose does a Rear Spoiler serve (apart from ruining the look & reversing visibilty)
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

he has a swift. so spoiler will be along roofline.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

AdityaM wrote:nayak, what purpose does a Rear Spoiler serve
Didn't you know? Adding a spoiler trims a whole second from the 0-100 timing number, and increases a whole km to the kmpl number.

No kidding. Some actually do believe that!
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

News reports say that a newer avatar of the Swift shall debut in Q4. A bit wider, longer and taller, it will be made of higher strength steel to keep the weight nearly same. The looks aren't being tampered much with just some cosmetic touches to the front end. But the real thing is under the hood. The K12 engine is being replaced with a newer model pumping out 95PS@6000 and a similar increase in the torque with the same fuel efficieny as before.
Without doubt, IT Vity brats/bratinas will be all over this one. I predict Mrooti is gonna laugh all the way to the bank again with this pocket rocket.
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Dileep wrote:
AdityaM wrote:nayak, what purpose does a Rear Spoiler serve
Didn't you know? Adding a spoiler trims a whole second from the 0-100 timing number, and increases a whole km to the kmpl number.

No kidding. Some actually do believe that!
Well I thought those spoilers were to provide adequate down force when your car goes airborne over one of the myriad bumps on the roads at high speeds of 40kmph.

Similarly it also assists you in promptly stopping, by generating additional braking force, to pay obesiance to the bovine, canine and simian overlords of roadways when they grace you with their presence.

As told by my 15yr old cousin who watched too many porshce 911 videos on discovery channel :roll:
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

The fun thing is that quite a few kids who mount spoilers on their cars don't realize that their cars are front wheel drive. The whole aim of the spoiler is to keep the wheels pressed on the ground for better traction. By mounting a spoiler on the back of the car, they keep the rear wheels pressed firmly to the road, but lift the front wheels off the ground. What this means is they reduce traction to the wheels that actually put the power to the road :D.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

MUL will most likely give it a new name and sell it in parallel to milk both investments. many of the same parts are in DZire so they wont just throw away their cash cow.
manish
BRFite

Post by manish »

Singha wrote:MUL will most likely give it a new name and sell it in parallel to milk both investments. many of the same parts are in DZire so they wont just throw away their cash cow.
That might be a bit tough GD. It looks almost identical to the current one from most angles, except the rear hatch door.

Edit: Just in case someone wonders, this is indeed the next gen Swift, not the current one!
Last edited by manish on 18 Jun 2010 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

It is for looks onlee, Swifts with spoilers look pretty decent. I had one for my alto which made it look damn cute. Folks at home have been pressing me for one for a long time.

I doubt about the new engine for the upcoming version of Swift. The new K series engine have just debuted, Maruti is yet to recover the costs. The new K Series are a gem though in city traffic, I drive around in slow moving traffic in 3rd gear at speeds of 25 + k without constantly changing gears, and it gives a good FE.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

One of the morons near my house drives a zen with a 'jazzed-up' ICE setup, he comes back from work at around 3 AM with loud music blasting till he parks the car.

My dad got irritated and shouted at him for disturbing everybody at 3 AM, cretin gave back some smart aleck answer and ran away. Next day I checked the number and it was from midlands, so when he returned I went out and said dude you are driving a KL series in Bangalore, I know enough guys in RTO to trouble you for driving a out of state car in Karnataka. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monkey apologizes, and nowadays neatly parks the car, minus the music and flees to the rat hole with his tail firmly tucked between his hind legs.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

I dunno what myoosic these people 'hear' and with what organ! My ears get the thump-thump, and so does the whole body. Nothing else is heard, which obviously is mired in the thump-thump

The other day we went to the KFC lookalike here, and some thump-thump was running on the speakers. I was about to walk out when thankfully, they turned it off.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

thats the whole idea, unless the whole car is shaking will people *know* you have spent 50K on a 1000w rms 12 speaker kit?

btw a friend was telling me about a chankian fumble harmer type neighbour who runs a textile business in blr but keeps a low profile to avoid hawks and predators. rides to office in a beat up santro but has a 75k sound setup hidden within that tin can and a 6L HTS at home using 60kg each floor standing speakers. some of these low profile guys probably have much better sound systems than the open shirt hairy "dilli billi" style souped up "son of a top exporter roaming around with armed bodyguard " types.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Spoilers on passenger cars are mainly for just reducing drag at the trailing edge (dont know how much of that translates into mileage) , the effect on downforce at the kind of speeds a common guy gets to drive are not much , at least not on those camrys or civics which come with factory installed spoilers , those don't even have the required aerofoil x-section to induce the pressure differential.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

wrt to the new swift - what changed? is the engine hood a bit longer and lower (skoda fabia style)? other than that is the overall car proportionately larger?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Spoiler on cars on the street seem to be more fashion accessories rather than serving any great use. That includes those ridiculous skirts people put on their puny Corollas here.
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Singha wrote:wrt to the new swift - what changed? is the engine hood a bit longer and lower (skoda fabia style)? other than that is the overall car proportionately larger?
90mm in length, 50 mm in wheelbase. width, height and gc are pretty much the same ~5-10mm diff. The interior benefits from the longer wb and high tensile steel, which reduces the frame sizes. The engine is new dual vvt pumping out 94PS@6000 rpm and 118Nm@4800 rpm. The fuel economy is also said to be better than current K12 series.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

whats with the hatred for a puny spoiler!!! Infidels.. You guys have more appreciation for habeeb sitara.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Negi, the spoiler does practically nothing to the drag. That grime sitting on the body for the past several weeks adds more drag, and your laptop bag adds more load.

Spoiler just spoils the look, that's all. It is like piercing on people. Some think it is kool.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

It is time to change the tyres on my car, as they approach the surface finish of my head. Need to choose a set.

The mfr OE, MRF ZV2K tubeless ran only 30K in three years. Maybe not too bad given the road conditions here, but I am unhappy about the number. The ride and handling were ok, given my humble expectations.

Does anyone have any suggestions? TBHP is a bunch of petrolheads, fanboys and ricers, so their advice doesn't suit me.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

it is time to change the tyres on my car, as they approach the surface finish of my head. Need to choose a set.

The mfr OE, MRF ZV2K tubeless ran only 30K in three years. Maybe not too bad given the road conditions here, but I am unhappy about the number. The ride and handling were ok, given my humble expectations.
That is rather low. I changed my tyres some 55K kms ago and the tread patterns are still pretty good and the wear indicators markers are still a long way to go. I went for Goodyear tubeless as a size zero replacement back in 2004. Mashallah, they are still running okay.

I heard that the Apollo Accelere tubeless series is pretty good. But I am surprised that you got just 30K with the MRF ZV2K. Traditionally MRF tyres were hard compound (long wearing, tough etc, but road noise and lower adhesion on the flip side).

Bridgestones should be good to. Go for tyres made in India. Goodyear, Bridgestone, Apollo, MRF, Michelin etc have tyres they make in India. Do not go for an Imported tyre under any circumstances. Firstly, they are probably grey market, /substandard/dumped tyres and second, if it is a unique tyre with a particular tread pattern, getting a new tyre in case one or two get busted up can be a total PITA (pain in the a...) , esp if the import stops for any reason.
Stay away from the Yoko, Pirelli kinds etc for that reason.

For you I would think a Apollo Accelere, Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear should have size zero fit for your car . Moreover, the imports will either be size +1 or +2 and you will have to change your rim as well...
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Thanx swami. Me too was thoroughly confused onlee about the 30K figure. Me SDRE driver onlee, and the needs are SDRE to the core. A comfy ride is the only desire.