BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
naren
BRFite

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by naren »

Abhijeet wrote:Since you mentioned that Indian posters had also been warned, in addition to the Chinese posters I listed above, I simply asked for the names of the Indian posters.
Abhijeet ji,

I appreciate your idealism for standing up for the oppressed people against the totalitarian regimes. You remind me of the lone guy who stood up against a column of tanks. I have immense respect for such heros.

I just have one simple question. How did you determine that the two posters were Chinese ? How did you determine that those who were not included were Indian ? I'm not able to infer that information from any of the exchanges that have happened here so far.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Is it safe to change the forum theme from the default one. IIRC after the last forum update members changing theirs had got locked out.

The last theme I had selected [the brushed metal one] had an option to search within the thred currently open at that time - this one does not seem to have it. Please incorporate it in this one too if possible - very handy

TIA
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

I second Hiten's suggestion to include thread based search function if possible. 8)
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

Does BRF have a RSS feed?
Mahendra
BRF Oldie

Post by Mahendra »

This is a Hindutva forum, it is high time we have RSS feed :wink:

Sorry couldn't resist
a_kumar
BRFite

Post by a_kumar »

DELETED.
Last edited by Rahul M on 04 Jun 2010 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: do not post openly about another poster. secondly it's not correct to prejudge.
ravar
BRFite
Location: हिमालयम समारभ्य़ यावत हिन्दु सरोवरम, तम देव निर्मितम देशम हिन्दुस्थानम प्रचक्षते

Post by ravar »

Mods...Please let know if we have a thread for languages/Indic languages where I can post on Samskrit. TIA
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

ravar wrote:Mods...Please let know if we have a thread for languages/Indic languages where I can post on Samskrit. TIA
There is a link language thread in the GDF forum.
kash
BRFite -Trainee

Post by kash »

To
The Mod

I have posted an article in the Sukhoi forum [http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... start=1720]..
After posting i have learnt from the other members that its a copy from another website [http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-NOTAM-030907-1.html]..
well i din copy it from the above website.. Also the article that i have posted is not the SAME as the one in ausairpower.. there are some parts that are missing..
There may be Copy right issues..

So i need guidance as to what to do..
Thank you..
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

There seems to be no thread to discuss Indian laws, its application and limitations.This becomes more relevant in the context of various judgments pronounced by Courts, several bills proposed by the Govt. Especially in the context of Nuclear Liability Bill , Industrial Disaster such as Bhopal, inability of Justice System to apportion justice, this discussion could become relevant.

I understand that this is primarily a forum for military and strategic issues. But in many aspects legal system forms the very basis of the Governance of the Country.

There is a news item that Army ,while agreeing to discuss the deployment of Armed forces to combat Maoism, insisted to have a proper legal framework to operate in the affected areas. This is very sensible. On the other hand many , in their superior wisdom perhaps, don't feel the need for any legal framework.

Bhopal Judgment has come as a shock to many, but root are in antiquated Indian legal system.

These are just some of the examples

I feel a separate thread may be needed. However I did not want to start a new thread, without moderators considering it relevant or pointing out some thread where these aspects could be discussed.

I am sure there are many worthies in the forum who are well versed in legal systems of India and abroad. They may have been applying it as the occasion or profession permits them.

May I call upon them to initiate a thread.

I would be contributing my views as much as possible, though I claim no knowledge better than others. I hope and seek to learn only.
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Can we have a conspiracy theory thread on the lines of whining thread? One can find so many gems floating around in various other threads, some are incredibly believable and need a new thread status so that unedumacated neandrathals like me can finally come out of the protective tin foil hat.
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Mods/admins

I would like to open up a new thread called 'best of TSP' ,where the gems of tsp thread are collected.Which give the best analysis of tsp and its methods in a short cut,owing to the fact that too much is written on tsp which takes time to understand . For example it will contain best posts of shiv sir,swamiji,acharya sir etc...
is it permitted ...?
or there could be a 'most liked' post button in tsp threads as in youtube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQf1nas8 ... re=popular. The most favoured/liked posts automatically reach to that new thread.. is it possible? please do it ...

since we have a 'report' button ,there should be 'most liked' button as well
Wickberg
BRFite

Post by Wickberg »

How do you send a personal PM to a member?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Wickberg wrote:How do you send a personal PM to a member?
That facility has been disabled for everyone except the Mods and Admins.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

chaanakya, please go ahead and start one.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

<rant>

Most, if not all threads have been derailed by posters who in some cases though make sensible posts but in the wrong threads. Example is the discussion on the merits and demerits of PSU's when there is a suitable thread for it.

Also some really arabian night ideas are coming up on threads. Can we just have a ideas thread where we can post ideas and then someone can credit/discredit them.

If you look at the last three pages of the LCA thread for instance there is almost NOTHING about the LCA.

Adminullahs and Modueezziins...please come out of hibernation!

A BRFite's heart is CRYING out!

</rant>
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Admins! Let's make mine is bigger than yours come true!!

I want to see one thread touch 1 million views. Some threads have crossed 750,000 - so let's touch 1 million.

Only the Paki thread must recycle at 72 for piety and respect to our birathers :D
NikhilB
BRFite

Post by NikhilB »

I have been regular reader of BRF for past 4-5 years and have just started posting recently but fairly irregularly as time permits.

I have one suggestion to BRF - When we open any weblink or any hyperlink in any post, it opens in same page (meaning overwrites on BRF page). Can admin / mods change some setting so that link opens in another window / tab ?

Thanks.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

^^^
You can press control and click in most browsers or use middle click in firefox which will open in new tab/window.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Nikhil,
Once upon a time we used to have the feature that the links would automatically open in a new tab/window (for older IE). After an upgrade we lost the feature and the admins tell us it is going to be a big pain in the musharraf to bring it back. Most of us have gotten used to it and use Ctrl+click as Anujan said, or right click and open in a new tab. :cry:
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Rahul M wrote:chaanakya, please go ahead and start one.
Has this thread been started? I couldn't find it. Which forum? :?:
Saksham
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Saksham »

Hello all,

I have been visiting BR forums for years now and absolutely love it. Now that I have become a member and hope to contribute meaningfully to this forum, I want to point out one thing that i din't quite like.

In military scenarios thread, I see that many posters post their stories in a single thread. It is extremely difficult to follow a single persons scenario which would otherwise make it a good read. I don't know whether a members takes forward a story where the other guy has left or its a intentional mix-up of multiple-scenarios in one single thread. Please let me know same. If its latter than I feel some moderator should take out time and clean those threads and float different threads for each story. :)
Last edited by archan on 23 Jun 2010 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: username changed from saxonio to Saksham. If you want another human sounding name, contact the moderators.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

NikhilB
BRFite

Post by NikhilB »

Thanks Anujan and Archan (although I knew that 'trick' :-) )

Couple of more points - Without doubt, BRF is one of the most sensible places on internet for serious and genuine people, unlike many other bollywood, masala, money related forums. However I could not find any thread / topic regarding below.

(1) how BRF can help GoI create, alter, upgrade, execute, monitor, review or even think of its policies ? How can we help in real life apart from just donations ? I am sure many senior people on this forums might have thought of this before and might have been practicing it, however, for rest of us, is there any thread that gives any kind of information on this - or even something like "suceess stories" of BRF impact ?

(2) It's surprising that we do not have any thread dedicated to "poverty". Of course, BRF is related to defense and strategic matters, but from bredth of threads and thoughts of people posting here, the scope of BRF is almost everything that is related to India. So how can we ignore poverty ? If arguments are - we dont want to make show of it to others and of course we know it already, so no need to be overly negative - still we cannot just ignore it to have not a single dedicated thread on it. If needed, we can move it to General Discussion Forums so lurkers cannot see it.
Sagrawal
BRFite

Post by Sagrawal »

There used to be a link to http://www.bharat-rakshak.com before the upgrade. I brought the missing link to Admins notice i was told that these small fixes will be done in due course of time.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

nikhil,

2) have you checked the tech/econ and GD forums ?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Just curious, what happens if I add Bredators to my 'foes' list in the profile section ?
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

negi wrote:Just curious, what happens if I add Bredators to my 'foes' list in the profile section ?
Easy. We become your foes. :mrgreen:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

negi wrote:Just curious, what happens if I add Bredators to my 'foes' list in the profile section ?
You can't.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

I think there should be a new thread for discussing India-US foreign policy/strategic issues. The current thread sometimes meanders into discussions involving Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley, religion, etc.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

No, I will lock the current one and you can start a new one with yet another request to the members to keep it on topic. Stuff like Jindal, NH etc. should at best be limited to a few posts in nukkad.
karthik
BRFite

Post by karthik »

I wanted to thank any BR moderator or Admin who unbanned me from the board! Looks like i back like Jaswant Singh! :D
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Webmasters,
You've probably heard this complaint before, but the menu after logging in are highly inadequate and unsatisfactory.
I am referring to this line that is supposed to make life easy on the forum members
"View unanswered posts | View active topics View unread posts | View new posts | View your posts"
None of these options is satisfactory.
The previous version of the forum had the "View active topics" link which took you to the most recent posts - ALL the posts in BRF could be accessed, which were listed in serial order of their age.

Please can we have one such link up there which will do this? The options now are all inadequate and leaves one having to go back to the specific Discussion Forum Group to search for the threads individually.

Currently the "View active topics" link only has one post "Attention non-members and lurkers !" which has been there ever since the new forum software was installed.

Thanks in advance
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Gagan wrote:
The previous version of the forum had the "View active topics" link which took you to the most recent posts - ALL the posts in BRF could be accessed, which were listed in serial order of their age.

It took some time to figure this one out, but its finally fixed. try it out now.
partha
BRF Oldie

Post by partha »

When I am browsing some thread and login, it takes me to "board index". Can the behavior be changed so it takes me back to the thread?

For example, say I am browsing TSP thread and I want to post something. So I login. I get a message "login has been successful and a link saying 'return to previous page'" When I click on "return to previous page", it takes me to board index instead of the TSP thread page from where I logged in.
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

seenear webmaster mullahs,

Is it possible to include the link to BRF news or atleast BRF main site as it used to be in the old design, anywhere in the header ? I often use my phone to lurk & it was kinda comfortable to just click one link to goto the news page.
skaranam
BRFite

Post by skaranam »

Mods/Admin/Webmasters:

Can we have the feature of creating tables within a post? There is a mod posted here to achieve this.

thx

edited: Edited the link
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

AoA Jagan garu!
It seems to be working now. Hajaar shukriya for fixing this. I will now change my tabs that link to BRF to aim for the "View active topics" link.

Another Request:
Can we have the editing toolbar on the quick reply window? That'll make going to the full editor unnecessary for most. Some basic functions like the Bold, Italics, url, img, and maybe a few smileys (in a drop down link) can be put on the Quick Reply window. This'll suffice for most posters who want to post a url or link an image.

For the more exotic posts like changing color or linking youtube videos etc people can still use the full editor.

Thanks again for fixing the "view active topics" link!
Purush
BRF Oldie

Post by Purush »

Clicking on 'Discussion forums' brings up a mix of threads.
eg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Clicking on 'Board Index', followed by the sub-forum seems to bring up the correct list for each subforum.
Some bug that has manifested itself since yesterday.
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

The "Last post" column shows the name of the last poster to a thread and when clicked, takes you to that user's profile. It would be 72% more awesome if it would take you directly to the last post of the thread instead.