Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vivekmehta
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Newbie Corner & Military Miscellaneous

Post by vivekmehta »

hi

what does IC stands for numbers in Indian army like IC-57556 Captain Vikram Batra. does officers and OR have different prefixes. i also found one SS as "SS-14246 Second Lt Rama Raghobe Rane" . what does SS stands for.

does other arms of defense forces have there own prefixes .

regards
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/07/th ... -both.html
The three agreements are the politically contentious Logistics Supply Agreement (a euphemism for the ACSA), the Communication Interoperability & Security Memorandum Agreement (CISMOA) -- without which, the US insists, India's C-130Js and P-8Is will be little more than flying hunks of metal - :shock: - and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-Spatial Cooperation (BECA). Status: no movement.
Is this true?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

abhishek_sharma wrote:http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/07/th ... -both.html
The three agreements are the politically contentious Logistics Supply Agreement (a euphemism for the ACSA), the Communication Interoperability & Security Memorandum Agreement (CISMOA) -- without which, the US insists, India's C-130Js and P-8Is will be little more than flying hunks of metal - :shock: - and the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement for Geo-Spatial Cooperation (BECA). Status: no movement.
Is this true?
Well I have heard Indians are hard negotiators. That is good. The topic of arms sales to Pakistan being raised is happy news. That will give the US an idea of how many US jobs India is willing to support and for how long. 2000 jobs for 2 years? Or 15,000 jobs for 20 years? Or 100 jobs for 6 months? Take your pick.

I personally believe that the arms market in the world is a sellers market where if you have the weapons there are too many people willing to buy them and all you need to do is bribe your way through the bureaucracy. I believe India is trying very hard to put an end to that. And that causes anger among arms sellers who are used to having their way by bribing some kaalu beggar.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

vivekmehta wrote:hi

what does IC stands for numbers in Indian army like IC-57556 Captain Vikram Batra. does officers and OR have different prefixes. i also found one SS as "SS-14246 Second Lt Rama Raghobe Rane" . what does SS stands for.

does other arms of defense forces have there own prefixes .

regards
(a) IC - I don't know the full form but is the unique number associated with every Permanent Commission Officer. May stand for Identity Card Number, but this is a guess. IC used for all Permanent Commission Officers of all arms (b) SS - For officers with Short Service Commission.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Rohit, it may be something on the lines of Indian commission ? didn't pre independence officers get KC for king's commission ?
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Interesting but C definitely stands for commission as for JCOs JC is used instead of IC.

The other prefix used is MR for doctors.
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

CalvinH wrote:Interesting but C definitely stands for commission as for JCOs JC is used instead of IC.

I think that's right. Because NCOs don't have any prefix. They simply have "No. 1234". Permanent commission officers have IC, short service commission have SS, as you said. But after the short service commission period is over, what if the officer volunteers for permanent commission? Does his prefix change to IC, or does it remain the same?
Kanan
BRFite

Post by Kanan »

I have a noob Q ,guys!

If an aircraft of 0.1m2 RCS is carrying a missile of 0.1 m2 externally, would the resultant RCS be the sum of these? If not can anyone give the basics of the calculation?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Kanan wrote:I have a noob Q ,guys!

If an aircraft of 0.1m2 RCS is carrying a missile of 0.1 m2 externally, would the resultant RCS be the sum of these? If not can anyone give the basics of the calculation?
No the missile would shoot down the enemy. The others would not know how the chap was shot down. So they would get scared and stop fighting :D

Could you please post this question the the following thread:

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 92#p911792
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Kanan wrote:I have a noob Q ,guys!

I really have no idea but my guess is that it will not be the sum of rcs (in fact it should be more). This is because the radar waves will reflect b/n the missile and the a/c.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Here is everything you need to know about radars providing you are a little less stupid than I am
http://radarproblems.com/

See the following page:
http://radarproblems.com/chapters/ch06. ... c06p11.htm
Chafford
BRFite -Trainee

Indian Army Postal Service Corps Warrant Officer Rank

Post by Chafford »

atreya wrote:
CalvinH wrote:Interesting but C definitely stands for commission as for JCOs JC is used instead of IC.

I think that's right. Because NCOs don't have any prefix. They simply have "No. 1234". Permanent commission officers have IC, short service commission have SS, as you said. But after the short service commission period is over, what if the officer volunteers for permanent commission? Does his prefix change to IC, or does it remain the same?

I understand that a Havildar or a Havildar Major is an NCO and a Naib Subedar is a JCO. However, I have read that the Indian Army Postal Service Corps also have the rank of Warrant Officer.

Is this rank only found in the APS in the Indian Army, does it fall between NCO and JCO in terms of seniority and what is the rank insignia?

The link describing the post is here:

http://www.knackpost.com/Circulars/PA_S ... ATIONS.pdf

The Assam Rifles also has a Warrant Officer rank which corresponds to an Assistant Sub Inspector in the other Paramilitary Forces - it's junior to a Naib Subedar and senior to a Havildar. Is this the same rank as the APS Warrant Officer?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Does the LCA have a centerline hard-point? Or does it only have the one on the left side of the fuselage meant for the Litening pod? If it does have the centerline hard-point, can it be used only to carry an external fuel tank (like on the Mig-29) or is it a multi-purpose hard point. Reason I ask is that although I have seen drawings of the LCA with the centerline hard-point I have never seen it being used in any of the LCA pics I have come across, even the static display pics where they show a fully laden LCA.
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

^^ Nachiket, LCA has 7 hardpoints - 3 on each wing, and another centreline hardpoint, which can carry both fuel tanks as well as weapons. The Litening pod's pylon is only meant for sensor payloads.

IIRC, I think there has been a photo released of the LCA with all points carrying payload. Not sure, but I certainly think i remember seeing photos of the LCA with a centre-line payload.
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Shortage of over 14,000 officers in defence services: Antony
The three defence services are facing a shortage of 14,244 officers and the Coast Guard was short of 679 officers and over 2,500 personnel below officer rank, the Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.

“The shortage of officers is around 11,500 in the Army, 1,507 in the Navy and 1,237 in the Air Force,” Defence Minister A.K. Antony said in a reply to a query
Replying to another query, Mr. Antony said the DRDO was facing a shortage of aeronautical engineers and the premier defence research agency requires 20 such engineers every year for the next five years.

In reply to another question, the Defence Minister said there was no “significant deficiency” in the officers in the Armed Forces Medical Services and added that in the Army Medical Corps, there was a shortage of 388 officers.
Army open to permanent stint for women
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

k prasad wrote:^^ Nachiket, LCA has 7 hardpoints - 3 on each wing, and another centreline hardpoint, which can carry both fuel tanks as well as weapons. The Litening pod's pylon is only meant for sensor payloads.

IIRC, I think there has been a photo released of the LCA with all points carrying payload. Not sure, but I certainly think i remember seeing photos of the LCA with a centre-line payload.
Thanks k prasad! I'm still searching for the pic though.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

nachiket wrote:
k prasad wrote:^^ Nachiket, LCA has 7 hardpoints - 3 on each wing, and another centreline hardpoint, which can carry both fuel tanks as well as weapons. The Litening pod's pylon is only meant for sensor payloads.

Thanks k prasad! I'm still searching for the pic though.
Here you are saar

Centerline pylon not seen
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... 4.jpg.html
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

shiv wrote:
Here you are saar

What I have always found interesting about that pic is it appears that ze Yell Cee Yaa in the pic above appears to be carrying a Griffin yehudi LGB (starboard) and a paveway II (port) I think....
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Nope it is the other way round .
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

^^^ Errr...I am looking at it from a head on perspective while you are looking at it from the pilots perspective....
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Fair enough, fwiw starboard and port side are defined from a pilot's perspective. :wink:
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

^^^ but I am only a poor observer no... :mrgreen: :P
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

shiv wrote: Here you are saar

That is why all the :(( :(( from me.
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

hi gurus , i have a newbie doubt....

recently i saw man videos of HALO jump from US special forces... , but am not able find any single video of our SF.
1:which are the regiments/SF are capable of doing HALO jump
2:what is the significant importance of HALO jump in missions ...?

thanks in advance
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

jimmy_moh wrote:1:which are the regiments/SF are capable of doing HALO jump
Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HA ... able_units
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

Which plane is the one on top? It says F-3, but have not heard of it.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

great, thanks
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cross post
paramyog wrote:Guys...

We need some serious Stealth here..!!

Thats how we'll get our much needed air-superiority..

When Navy has been getting one stealth frigate after another, why has the Air Force been left behind..

Are we going to fly these planes to Sichuan and Schezwan showing off their butts with heat signatures or quietly make a killing and come back home with the pilots n planes intact.

Thats the reason why I had some respect for F-35.

So if we buy either, not without stealth please..!!!
Sir what will an Indian F 35 with 2 bombs do in Sichuan?

Or if it is configured for the Air Superiority role, what will it protect, given that the attacking aircraft that is gives air cover for are not stealthy.

Finally, if the US applies sanctions during war what will we do?
Manishw
BRFite

Post by Manishw »

Shiv Ji You are bang on target. :rotfl:
and your comment about 200 hand grenades somewhere was really too much.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Manishw wrote:Shiv Ji You are bang on target. :rotfl:
and your comment about 200 hand grenades somewhere was really too much.
Manish - we have from time to time discussed how the leaders in technology are also leaders in marketing. They spend money on new tech and use their existing superiority in marketing and media to push the technology so it is bought by others so that the money spent on research is made up and they can quickly move on to another level of tech making their own old tech obsolete.

We SDREs and our moronic neighboring Abduls and assorted turd world inhabitants will take a long time to understand this.

If you look at what they say about the F 22 - it is said that the supercruise adds to the stealth and that the same supercruise makes BVR missiles even longer ranged. Now tell me Manish, how can the F 35 with 2 bombs and no supercruise be such a great thing for India and all the countries whose citizens are being made to salivate over the inferior F 35 by the superior propaganda apparatus and fanboy media of the US?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

hehehe...funny...check out the latest post on the Mohotarma's blog! :)
paramyog
BRFite -Trainee

Post by paramyog »

Shiv...

Its Stealth and not F-35 that I speak of.

Its jus that F-35 has it and I'd like EFT to have it too in the Indian Version.
Manishw
BRFite

Post by Manishw »

^^^ Totally agree with you Shiv Ji. China seems to be more pragmatic in their approach while we in India will always be looking at brochures and thinking great dreams while letting technology which we have today and can give a fitting reply to the brochure maal slip from our grasp.
I guess this mindset is slowly changing.
Manishw
BRFite

Post by Manishw »

paramyog wrote:Shiv...

Sir call it low Radar signature not stealth and kindly discuss about the tradeoffs that would be required also.
JMT please take it in positive way.
Last edited by Manishw on 09 Aug 2010 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

paramyog wrote:Shiv...

:shock: Stealth is not an ECM or Targetting pod that you can just "add to the Indian version". It is the air frame design that makes an aircraft stealthy.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

jimmy_moh wrote:hi gurus , i have a newbie doubt....

recently i saw man videos of HALO jump from US special forces... , but am not able find any single video of our SF.
1:which are the regiments/SF are capable of doing HALO jump
2:what is the significant importance of HALO jump in missions ...?

thanks in advance
SF are free-fall qualified and then graduate to HALO/HAHO jumps...if you see the Para(SF) page on BR, you'll see SF trooper donning HALO jump suite. Hope this helps.

HALO/HAHO are insertion techniques...for example, SF troops can drift really far from drop point (I've heard figures of 40kms) if they open high...they use special parachutes for the same.
jimmy_moh
BRFite

Post by jimmy_moh »

thanks rohit for ur reply...

so basically only special forces will be trained to do the same right...?

but what abt the soldiers in our parachute regiment , i mean soldiers of all ranks, they will be trained only for low altitude jumping...?
Kailash
BRFite

Post by Kailash »

Indian-American found guilty of selling defence info to China
He was paid at least USD 110,000 by China.
How do people hear about these "offers" from China? why not from India?
prastor
BRFite -Trainee

Post by prastor »

Kailash wrote:Indian-American found guilty of selling defence info to China
He was paid at least USD 110,000 by China.
How do people hear about these "offers" from China? why not from India?
Shows that Indian Governments do not have shady foreign policies. C*****, Rusty and AmeerKhan are notorious for the same.
Last edited by archan on 11 Aug 2010 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: That particular slang is not allowed on BRF.