Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Karan M »

All this happens because DESIDOC - the DRDO documentation agency, contracts this work out to some third party guy, who does not have enough images, data with him and resorts to google searches to do his imagery.

This is better in that it has more relevant images

..but it could do with better color coordination and make it look more slick
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

Raja Bose wrote:Raghavendra, Unfortunately ignorance of the sort demonstrated by DRDO (or whichever private firm it sub-contracted its website design to) in this regard goes way beyond what can be charitably termed as an "Honest Mistake". In most other countries heads would roll for this - make no mistake about that.
Heads rolling for such stuff? Hardly.

A recent GOI ad showed a Paki air marshal to show a military person.
L&T showed a pic of a British sub at an international fair when it wanted to show off its work on Arihant.

Another not so amusing incident happened a year back in Russia, where during the Great War of Independence (WW2 remembrances), WW2 veterans were not amused when they were paraded past billboards of Nazi Tiger and Panther tanks which they fought against, being used to convey Russian armor. Because the designers went to the net, and picked up the most impressive "tanks" they could find.

Go to any industry event right now, and most of the images of troops, armor, aircraft, ships are invariably either American or western. This is because the Internet is FULL of such images captured by their media cells, magazines and distributed everywhere. The US has officers trained to click snaps on deployment, exercise, and vetted ones (many with their people giving gyaan to others, while others listen) are then released on the net and even high resolution pics are available easily.

Short, its pretty common for such gaffes to occur when handled by a third party agency. One thing that always comes out is that India needs a huge stock pool of its own imagery to be used without copyright issues (as long as the intent is proper and if agency is contacted). This forums website has some good images but there are so many more which could be archived. Unfortunately, you have to pay if you contact the regular agencies.

Coming to the specific case in question, it is indeed embarrassing and shows a mistake by DRDO's DESIDOC in their interface with the third party contractor. DESIDOC has done a pretty slapdash job of maintaining the website as well, as it is they who maintain all this, and not the labs. DRDO's so called PR initiative is also undermanned and more ad hoc, given the lack of high quality imagery and data on their website available to searchers in an easy manner. Most casual websearchers will not bother to go through archived PDFs or what not to know whats what.

Perhaps there should be a way for interested private individuals - after vetting to contribute
Rajput
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajput »

Even their own address is wrong, in the "contact us" page:

DIRECTOR, DESIDOC
MetCafe House,
Delhi-110054
:rotfl: :lol:
shanksinha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by shanksinha »

Graphic courtesy www.Precise3DModeling.com
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Rajput wrote:Even their own address is wrong, in the "contact us" page:

DIRECTOR, DESIDOC
MetCafe House,
Delhi-110054
:rotfl: :lol:
Don't write in. Mock them in public - in the media, in blogs and on fora such as this. Writing in never helped. I can guarantee that the Flash animation has been done by some contract IT worker who has picked up a few images from here and there - and the DRDO people responsible for actually looking at those images and animation have not bother to check what is online. The story is exactly the same as the Indian ad that carried a photo of the Packee air chief - a combination of ignorance of IT among those who want the web page, ignorance of the subject among those who made the web page and incompetence on both sides. These idiots need to be shamed in public.

This is not DRDO bashing. We have been pretty fair in our support for DRDO but stupidity is not on.
sawant
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sawant »

shiv wrote:I can guarantee that the Flash animation has been done by some contract IT worker who has picked up a few images from here and there - and the DRDO people responsible for actually looking at those images and animation have not bother to check what is online
No point in blaming DRDO as such ... considering that they might not have been allocated funds to even have decent PR... IMHO the website may even have been done as a final year engineering project... have known some folks earlier in the decade who set up websites for such govt entities as purely trainees :oops:
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

I tried using their 'feedback' section,unfortunately it comes up with a SQL error once i hit 'submit' button..
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/08/im ... -down.html
IMPACT: Embarrassed DRDO Pulls Down Howler Webpage Graphic
Two days after I highlighted a DRDO howler on Livefist, there's fortunately been some follow-up. Following an alert that was sounded yesterday after the post was circulated at DRDO HQ, the people in charge were ordered to immediately dispense with the graphic and re-create it using images of only indigenous weapons programmes. In the meantime, they've replaced the old howler with a static image of the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (see image). Oh, well. :)
:mrgreen:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

You are right rahul. I was thinking the same thing. There are many pics of the Indian colour unfurled during Kargil War. It would have been easier to search and paste one of these, rather than photoshopping the Tricolour on the Iwo Jima one
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

whole forces PR takniki needs to be upgraded, saw a ppt presentation once by a senior army officer... was quite poor, and inappropriate for the audience
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

CJ,

Thank you, thank you and many more Thank Yous.

Those Samyukta pics are a real keeper. People can this way gauge the complexity and bandwidth of this system. This system is a real game changer in the COMINT/SIGINT arena. IIRC, there are total of 140 vehicles in this sytem. Right?
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

Vril
BRFite

Post by Vril »

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/ ... 3672787359

POsted in today's TOIlet, Mumbai edition, see the picture in Kashmiri's defy geelani's bandh call and observe the soldier in the far right. what is he wearing??? RoboCop??

i dont know how to import that image.request learned members if they can post the image.

thanks
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

rohitvats wrote:CJ,

Thank you, thank you and many more Thank Yous.

Those Samyukta pics are a real keeper. People can this way gauge the complexity and bandwidth of this system. This system is a real game changer in the COMINT/SIGINT arena. IIRC, there are total of 140 vehicles in this sytem. Right?
The number was that as per last quoted. But, we can't be sure of numbers.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Vril,
Check out the CT and COIN operations thread. This has been discussed there.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Vril wrote:http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/ ... 3672787359

POsted in today's TOIlet, Mumbai edition, see the picture in Kashmiri's defy geelani's bandh call and observe the soldier in the far right. what is he wearing??? RoboCop??

i dont know how to import that image.request learned members if they can post the image.

thanks
Just click on the image and when it opens right click and save it.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Vril wrote:http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/ ... 3672787359

thanks
Yes RoboCop - whatever that is ..
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

why are they wearing white pants.

it should be all black so its harder for the enemy to get a reference when shooting in a hurry

bunch of guys in white pants & a black shirt running around stand out like a sore thumb.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Neshant wrote:why are they wearing white pants.

it should be all black so its harder for the enemy to get a reference when shooting in a hurry

bunch of guys in white pants & a black shirt running around stand out like a sore thumb.
Republic day security. They are meant to stand out and be visible. Those who are meant to be invisible will blend in with the crowd. As an aside why does your comment sound so Macaulayite contemptuous to me? Is it just me?
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

why are they wearing white pants. it should be all black so its harder for the enemy to get a reference when shooting in a hurry bunch of guys in white pants & a black shirt running around stand out like a sore thumb.
(personal comment edited out - JE Menon).

This is the counter-assault unit, they are the guys who are supposed to beat back the hostiles while the protective unit envelopes the mantri and others. The IA/IN/IAF as well as TN Police have had counter assault team for years. Almost 20 years back at Chennai airport I saw two cordons of security and counter assault Army+TN Police deployed to protect a visiting COAS. Counter assault units are prominent for among other things things to deter and intimidate hostiles as well as draw fire. The counter assault team I saw were lean, mean, ornery Gurkhas. Armed to the teeth and with their dreaded khukris of El Alamein fame.
In other words these guys make themselves prominent to convey the message that
Nee edhavadhu senjina, un sXXXha kaitti adippen :twisted:
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

kaangeya

Please avoid personal comments.

Other than that your last line is on the money!!! :)
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Which weapon are the MARCOS personnel carrying? Looks like mp5 to me but the barrel seems to be a little weird.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Are these 3 ^ Siddi fishermen from Gujarat ?
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

@ Vishal
No, they are Somali pirates, intercepted as they tried yet again to hijack a merchant vessel :twisted:
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

:idea: Oh ok, thanks atreya.

I actually thought so but then the dhow looks flimsy so i thought maybe Siddis :-?
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

chaanakya wrote:
Just click on the image and when it opens right click and save it.
http://a.imageshack.us/img375/5673/kashmirl.jpg
I saw almost similar full body anti-riot suit in IndeSec Expo today. Manufactured by Applied Systems, it costs nearly Rs 14000 a unit and is in use with RAF and some police in some states . Provides good full body protection, including back from rocks, sticks, sharp edged weapons etc.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Gajraj Lifting-off from New Delhi International
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Vishal, good to see your inputs again. Have the rains been keeping you down?

Also, please provide a link to your photo, if it is on airliners/jetphotos.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Vasu wrote:Vishal, good to see your inputs again. Have the rains been keeping you down?
Hi Vasu,
Thank you for the compliment,
I love the rains, one of the best times to shoot, its just my lazyness :mrgreen:
I have been spotting quite a bit, just too uninterested in uploading.
Vasu wrote:Also, please provide a link to your photo, if it is on airliners/jetphotos.
The photo IS hyperlinked.
Pratik_S
BRFite

Post by Pratik_S »

Gaur wrote: Which weapon are the MARCOS personnel carrying? Looks like mp5 to me but the barrel seems to be a little weird.
It is probably the Naval variant MP5SD-N2. Not sure !
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

Image Image
From top left to right: South African Naval Lynx landing on INS Mysore | Exchange of VBSS best pracices - South African Sailors onboard IN Ship | INS Aditya alongwith SAS Amatola and BNS Niteroi
Pic Courtesy LiveFist
Naidu
BRFite

Post by Naidu »

Repeat after me, boys and girls: Scooter helmets!

PS: I'm hopeful at least of the regulars and oldtimers will get what I'm saying.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

True... Its a bit like scooter helmet but it seems the equipment is South African not Indian...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Naidu wrote:Repeat after me, boys and girls: Scooter helmets!

PS: I'm hopeful at least of the regulars and oldtimers will get what I'm saying.
Foreign scooter helmets are better. :(( :P :D
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^and shinier and don't have scraped paint :(( :((
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

but south african maal is made in Yindia onleee! :-(
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

Jokes aside The compare the outfitting of the SA VBSS team and our MARCOS operators with the pirates. If the SPG, Garud, IA SF can get decent equipment why can MARCOS?