Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote: Who says we are aspiring to be a "superpower" beyond ofcourse BRF
Well said. This is the bogey I have continuously pointed out. These words - "India aspiring to be superpower" are only ever used to be critical of India. If superpowerhood comes to any nation - people just say it. Until then all aspirations are pure bollocks.
Last edited by shiv on 03 Sep 2010 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

sum wrote:
Truely a shame for a country aspiring to be a "superpower" to be importing even basic jet trainers...
A basic jet trainer is the benchmark for becoming a superpower?

Ha ha...USA imports doors from HAL => USA fourth world !!!
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

There is a huge diffrence between importing an aircraft door and a complete airframe.

A basic trainer is some thing that a nation must have. Moreover, the IAF must have known that the HPT 32 were growing obsolete for some time. The airframe has been in service for over 20 years. Yet they allowed the situation to reach such a stage that the entire fleet had to be grounded for safety reasons. Also, the HAL has not been given the go ahead to fabricate and perfect the HPT 40 a domestic Piston engine design.

If it is done so today then it will take at least 5 years for the HAL to fabricate and perfect the proposed HPT 40. Keeping in view the sitara experence. But will the IAF wait for that long, or will they go for an import.
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

^^^
Not sure if you got my point!
This has nothing to do with being a super-dooper power!
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Its not about being a super power. It is about developing and sustaining the design capability of the nation and not doing it at home is a disaster in this regard.

Thats the reason why this is causing heart burn. At least in this Jingo.
R Nathan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by R Nathan »

shiv wrote:....If superpowerhood comes to any nation - people just say it. Until then all aspirations are pure bollocks.
:twisted: dont be so mean shiv, dim sum was just about to claim aspirational superpowerhood for ching.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Hard work mantra for success : Air Vice-Chief
Air Marshal Pranab Kumar Barbora, Vice-Chief of the Air Staff on Saturday exhorted the people of the North-East to shun complacency and to come and explore the whole world, for the progress of the region. In the city to participate in Techniche, the annual techno-management festival of IIT- Guwahati he said that the only mantra for success is sheer hard work and loving one’s job.

The students and faculty members came out in huge numbers to witness the legend from the Indian Air Force.The Air Marshal spoke about the evolution of the Indian Air Force, right from the time of Independence. He also explained the functioning of the Air Force, the operational and functional commands. He informed the students about the fighter and multi-role combat aircraft, transport, training and early warning aircraft, helicopters and unmanned air vehicles in the Indian fleet. He also showed videos of the rescue and relief operations undertaken by the IAF during the time of natural disasters, an IIT statement mentioned.

The Air Marshal was involved in formation of the first Jaguar Squadron, induction of the Air Combat Simulator into the IAF, the first of its kind in Asia, commencement of night operations by helicopters and transport aircraft in the terrain of Arunachal Pradesh. A lively interactive session followed where many students put questions about the IAF. He also explained to the students about the prospects of joining the IAF. Techniche’10, is being attended by 6,000 participants from IIT-Guwahati and over 170 colleges all over India.
eklavya
BRF Oldie

Post by eklavya »

sum wrote:
Truely a shame for a country aspiring to be a "superpower" to be importing even basic jet trainers...
No. It is TRULY a shame for a country to unnecessarily loose lives by flying an unsafe aircraft. If this saves lives, it is no shame at all, it is to be celebrated.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

A fat and portly air chief is an embarrassment

Don't know what to make of it.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Pratyush wrote:A fat and portly air chief is an embarrassment

IMHO, it is up to AF to show as an example. Making Sachin Tendulkar as an IAF officers has not gone down well with atleast me and as I read many of us. Hope fully IAF Chief is good at his job, if not shape.
vishnu.nv
BRFite

Post by vishnu.nv »

IAF Chief's duty is not to man the fighters or any way physical in nature. He is beyond that stage now. I believe to comment about his tummy is a cheap way to get the attention of the public. The blogger is comparing him to the sachin at his prime age. We all see how bad shape some retired cricketers are in now.

Arjuna Ranathunga was been criticized like anything by the western media for not being fit, But that doesn't stop him form winning the world cup.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vishnu.nv wrote:

IAF Chief's duty is not to man the fighters or any way physical in nature. He is beyond that stage now. I believe to comment about his tummy is a cheap way to get the attention of the public. The blogger is comparing him to the sachin at his prime age. We all see how bad shape some retired cricketers are in now.

Arjuna Ranathunga was been criticized like anything by the western media for not being fit, But that doesn't stop him form winning the world cup.
What I find as an interesting commentary on Indians in general is is that when you take any random group of Indians and allow them to speak their mind there will always be a significant number who are ashamed of something or embarrassed about India and Indians. This is not just random blogs of random people. It occurs across the board among any group of Indians you select.

With the advent of the internet it becomes easy yo compare Indians in groups with other nationalities and it is not clear to me that nationals of every country are so self critical and ashamed of almost any public face that India displays.

Of course the reasons are debatable... :mrgreen:
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

That is nothing but a cheap shot. Pure and simple. As for his physical fitness, the Chief would have passed all the requisite medical examinations required of his post and age before he took on the present designation. Just because his physical attributes do not appear pleasing to some d*^#head, does not mean that Cheif is not fit.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

to me he looks like someone who will emerge triumphant from a pub brawl.
There is no mistaking the minaciousness of his looks.
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

Simple... Someone wants some attention... He/she wants to start a debate on a completely futile topic... As long as the CAS is an effective and efficient leader, he could look like a poor sod for all i care... JMO...
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Bala Vignesh wrote:Simple... Someone wants some attention... He/she wants to start a debate on a completely futile topic... As long as the CAS is an effective and efficient leader, he could look like a poor sod for all i care... JMO...
This is what is meant by "don't keep a bad company." IAF should be ready for it if they call celebrities. Its all part and parcel of celebritydom.

Its kind of Kat is bit out of shape thing. Don't take it to the heart.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Bala Vignesh wrote:

Simple... Someone wants some attention... He/she wants to start a debate on a completely futile topic... As long as the CAS is an effective and efficient leader, he could look like a poor sod for all i care... JMO...
Totally agree with Bala Sir... Looks are deceptive you see... :!: :!:

Lets not drag our esteemed Force and there leaders in such useless conversations...
nrshah
BRFite

Post by nrshah »

I hope these ddmites dont demand SRK or Amir Khan or Salman to be CAS/CNS because they have muscular body and biceps and all
P Chitkara
BRFite

Post by P Chitkara »

nrshah wrote:I hope these ddmites dont demand SRK or Amir Khan or Salman to be CAS/CNS because they have muscular body and biceps and all
Ha Ha :rotfl: That was a good one!
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

nrshah wrote:I hope these ddmites dont demand SRK or Amir Khan or Salman to be CAS/CNS because they have muscular body and biceps and all
:rotfl: :rotfl: ... If that is the case i request Ajay Devgan... At least he has done some roles properly as an Officer from the forces...
My last OT post on this...
Kersi D
BRFite

Post by Kersi D »

I demand Aishwarya Rai, Kareena Kapoor, Deepika Padukone to be made Chief of Army, Navy and Ar Force.

K
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Russian Air Force Commander Alexander Zelin came to India
NEW DELHI, Sept. 7 - RIA Novosti, Eugene Bezek. Chief of Russian Air Force Colonel General Alexander Zelin, arrived in India, where the September 7-10, get acquainted with the system of combat training of Indian pilots.

The Russian commander said the high level of training of Indian pilots, who for many years exploited aircraft and air defense of the Soviet and Russian production.

"The main purpose of the trip - to get acquainted with the system of training of Indian Air Force, to understand how to organize their operational and combat training," - said Zelin told reporters after arriving in New Delhi.

Visit to India Zelin start with a visit on Tuesday, 10 Squadron Indian Air Force, stationed at the airbase, Jodhpur in Rajasthan in western India. Also, Russian commander will show a simulator to train pilots on MiG-21 and laboratory air navigation equipment.

On Wednesday, Colonel-General will return to the Indian capital. Here he will have talks with the Air Force India Pradeep Vasant Naik, who also heads the Joint Chiefs of Staff of the armed forces of India.

"This will be an open conversation confidential, professional exchange of views", - said Zelin on the upcoming visit.

Despite the fact that in the near future joint exercises of the air forces of the two countries is not planned, Zelin said he hoped that "they are not far off."

Also in Delhi Zelin hold a series of protocol meetings with commanders of other arms, and the next day fly to the south, at an airbase in the town of Bidar (Karnataka). There he became acquainted with the work training center for pilots of Karnataka on Friday, General will fly to the east - to the city of Hyderabad, the capital of Andhra Pradesh. Here Zelin again be meeting with the students and their mentors Academy of Indian Air Force.
( google translated )
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Can anyone shed light on this image or its origins? Supposedly from Cope India

fixed image
jai
BRFite

Post by jai »

A fat and portly air chief is an embarrassment
What utter rubbish.....feel so much better after giving a piece of my mind to its author....utterly condemnable....its articles like this that erode our already ungrateful population's confidence in our forces and create the apathy that we jingos so hate...our warriors return their medals and still no one cares.... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Riza Zaman wrote:Can anyone shed light on this image or its origins? Supposedly from Cope India

fixed image
Riza, yes it is.

It was published in the book "When Lighting Strikes : Illustrated HIstory of No.20 Squadron 1957-2007" published by Vayu Aerospace.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Kersi D wrote:
I demand Aishwarya Rai, Kareena Kapoor, Deepika Padukone to be made Chief of Army, Navy and Ar Force.

K
Aish? You old fossil! Let's have Katrina Kaif
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

is that a singaporean F16? I dont recall usaf F16 coming to india for exercise.
kuldipchager
BRFite

Post by kuldipchager »

Why we are doing this drama.What we are looking or trying build have to come from russian shipyard.It's game.
Anantz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anantz »

Singha wrote:I dont recall usaf F16 coming to india for exercise.
Have u forgotten Cope India 2006 Singhaji? I think we were hosting close to 12 at Kalaikunda then!
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

shiv wrote:
Kersi D wrote: I demand Aishwarya Rai, Kareena Kapoor, Deepika Padukone to be made Chief of Army, Navy and Ar Force.

K
Well what ever excites the oldies and keeps them going :twisted:
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Austin wrote: quote="shiv" quote="Kersi D"

Well what ever excites the oldies and keeps them going
:twisted:
Dude,

Can't have katrina as chief because she's not an Indian citizen. She is in India on a work permit.

But I like your way of thinking. :)
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

IAF to kickstart its network-centric warfare backbone
IAF is all set to boost its network-centric warfare capability by kickstarting Air Force Network (AFNET), a reliable digital information grid that enables accurate and faster response to enemy threats.

The modern, state-of-the-art AFNET will be a fully secure network, making IAF a true net-centric combat force and the first among the three services to complete interlinking major installations throughout the country on a high bandwidth network
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

^^ This will need high security measures as it will become prime target to hack in... i hope IAF has put stringent counter checks in place... they can also use ethical heckers to esnsure sytem has no loop holes...
Bala Vignesh
BRF Oldie

Post by Bala Vignesh »

nits wrote:IAF to kickstart its network-centric warfare backbone
IAF is all set to boost its network-centric warfare capability by kickstarting Air Force Network (AFNET), a reliable digital information grid that enables accurate and faster response to enemy threats.

The modern, state-of-the-art AFNET will be a fully secure network, making IAF a true net-centric combat force and the first among the three services to complete interlinking major installations throughout the country on a high bandwidth network
I thought AFNET was already active... There is a hub in CHAF here that is labeled AFNET/something... And all the status indicator lights on it are lit up like Diwali... and this was 5-6 months back...
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Jagan wrote:
Riza Zaman wrote:Can anyone shed light on this image or its origins? Supposedly from Cope India

fixed image
Riza, yes it is.

It was published in the book "When Lighting Strikes : Illustrated HIstory of No.20 Squadron 1957-2007" published by Vayu Aerospace.
Thanks Jagan :)
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

I nominate Jessica Alba to head US CENTCOM.
David Siegel
BRFite -Trainee

Post by David Siegel »

nits wrote:IAF to kickstart its network-centric warfare backbone

Confirmed on Livefist also.

IAF's AFNET NCW Backbone Goes Live Next Week
http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/09/ia ... -week.html
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Singha wrote:is that a singaporean F16? I dont recall usaf F16 coming to india for exercise.
whats wrong with your memory Singha ? the USAF F-16s were in Kalaikunda, remember ? That was after the first Cope India where they sent F-15s. If I recall, there was some USAF pilot who wrote something about a flight in the backseat of a MiG-29..his post alongwith pictures of the exercise was on F-16.net. IAF pilots took back seat rides in the F-16 too and the commie cadre was pictured doing hartal outside the airbase while wowing at the fighter jets passing over head..:D
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Posting in this thread because of the quoted statement from the article:
Changing face of Russia-Pakistan ties
The Sochi summit also dimmed India's hopes of gaining a strategic foothold in Tajikistan. India and Russia had planned to jointly use the Ayni airfield, which India helped to renovate, but Indian presence there looks doubtful now in the context of the emerging Russia-Afghanistan-Pakistan-Tajikistan axis. India will, of course, remain Russia's close friend and strategic partner, but it will have to learn to live with the new Russian-Pakistani bonhomie, just as Russia has taken in its stride India's entanglement with the U.S.
There ends the wet dream of a IAF jhapad from Tajik side into Pak!!!

The tone of the article seems to suggest the Russkies are mighty pi$$ed with the SDRE!!?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

well if russia imagines that 'bribing' pakistan will lead to a reduction of the threat vector into CAR, they are much mistaken. wont be the first time.