Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rampy
BRFite

Re: Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

Post by Rampy »

Why is the hindi commentatoing trying to justify Paki loss of face. He is like we have experience player blah blah and Paki's dont have players etc.
we will never learn
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

Vikas Gowda wins silver in mens Discus. Another medal from the athletics field.
praksam
BRFite

Post by praksam »

any news on the Somdev game?

need some som-rus, too much exitement :P
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

7-4 . India Won.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

The SDRE's won the hockey match by 7-4
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I saw the Alka Tomar winning the gold on TV. Awesome new heroine!
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Somdev ahead in the second set 5-0. Will surely win it within a minute or so.
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

rgsrini
BRFite

Post by rgsrini »

Somdev wins Tennis gold!!!!! Awesome!
girish.r
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by girish.r »

rgsrini wrote:Somdev wins Tennis gold!!!!! Awesome!
Hip Hip Hoodoooooooo!! :D
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

That guy is loosing badly because he is holding on to the other
lost 4 points like that.
Lost a boxing gold. More like awarding it to England.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Some stupid lawn bowling is going on. We must have introduced goli and gilli danda as well and got two gold.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

We must have introduced goli and gilli danda as well and got two gold.
Nope!! but I want following indian sports in world competitions

1. Kabaddi.

2. Indian style wrestling (in mud pits and all).

3. Indian style Hockey (on grass fields with normal hockey sticks). Forget "Field Hockey" start a new league calling it "Ground Hockey" instead of "Field Hockey" and lets get India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Afghanistan and rest of countries to start playing it in at least local games.

4. Indian style Chess (again International federations have taken Indians for ride making their own rules after India gave birth to Chess).

5. Indian style archery (let them make their own bows and arrows and then decide who wins)., Bheels of India will always win Gold Medals.

and so forth!! the problem is that sports should be played on levelled terms and not on the terms of people who have advantage! We are trying to raise our bars to meet the people who already have advantage and are succeeding but there is huge cost (material, time, infrastructure, etc). Let's play some chankiyaniti and start getting these Hockey, Chess, Archery, Shooting federations to change the rules to make them level against us.
Hariprasad
BRFite

Post by Hariprasad »

I hope we can at least end up on the third spot above Canada. We are still holding on to No 2 and well past the half way mark of the games :)
Victor
BRF Oldie

Post by Victor »

Glasgow organizers have removed greco roman and womens' wrestling, tennis and archery from the 2014 games? I honestly think India should leave the commonwealth immediately after these games. It's the right message. We can focus on worldwide venues now and don't need this kiddie pool any more.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

India need to improve a lot in water sports and cycling. If we are good in these areas things must have been a lot better now. May be we are competing Aussies for the top spot.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

How many more decent chances of Gold do we have? 2-3 in shooting and 2-3 in boxing or even those are done with?
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Yeah, we have shot at at least 5 golds in shooting, boxing and racket sports (Table tennis and Badminton)
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

From Dr. Subramanium Swamy's website

While abroad recently I was informed by my reliable sources that of the Rs.40000 crores spent to date on Commonwealth Games preparations, about Rs.15000 crores have gone as bribes under cover of payments to consultants and contractors.

http://janataparty.org/pressdetail.asp?rowid=59
Raja
BRFite

Post by Raja »

Some retards at BBC decided to come up with completely useless metrics such as "Population per medal" on their medals table.

India would have to win 100,000 medals to equal the #1 country Nauru. Too bad, that is not even possible.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Raja wrote:Some retards at BBC decided to come up with completely useless metrics such as "Population per medal" on their medals table.

India would have to win 100,000 medals to equal the #1 country Nauru. Too bad, that is not even possible.

Is there a category for "population per grand theft / grand larceny from colonies"??

charlie boy's country would win hands down.
Avik
BRFite

Post by Avik »

Indian Army's performance at the Commonwealth Games:

Indian Armymen have done a proud to India by winning five gold medals, two silver medals and three bronze medals in the Common Wealth Games (CWG) 2010 . Winners are:Subedar Vijay Kumar-won two gold medals in shooting, Naib Subedar Imran Hasan Khan –won a gold medal in shooting, Hawaldar Gurpreet Singh –won a gold
medal in shooting, Hawaldar K. Ravi Kumar –won a gold medal in weight lifting, Naib Subedar Manoj Kumar- won a silver medal in wrestling, Hawaldar Suken Dey – won a silver medal in weight lifting (56 kg weight category) and Hawaldar V.S. Rao - won a bronze medal in weightlifting (56 kg weight category).
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I liked some of the hockey game yesterday - all out attack, anything that could fly and shoot pushed out of the hanger and asked to go at full afterburner...

brought back some memories of the pargat singh days...

the ghosts of 1982 asiad final finally laid to rest
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Cyclists unnerved by Delhi's empty streets

Agence France-Presse, Updated: Sun, Oct 10, 2010 14:18 IST
Cyclists unnerved by Delhi's empty streets New Delhi: With central Delhi emptied for Commonwealth Games cycling on Sunday, India presented a desolate face which had more in common with the opening of an apocalyptic zombie horror film. :rotfl:

There were no spectators anywhere on the road race course winding around Connaught Square, with police having shut all access roads and the streets around the city's iconic markets, gardens and monuments eerily still.

Newspapers blew across the deserted Ashoka Road and Parliament Street as a handful of officials, outnumbered by hungry-looking, flea-bitten dogs, tried to look busy with no crowd to control.

The intention was to secure the race amid fears over terrorist attacks in the normally bustling city but it left some participants wondering if the authorities had been over-zealous in their decision to scrap atmosphere in favour of peace of mind.

England's Katie Conclough, who finished 16th said: "There wasn't much atmosphere. The crowd was very bare apart from the armed guards everywhere.

"It was a shame to have had this big event and not have many people out there to watch it."

Stands had been put up along the course but were deserted as traffic restrictions and a lack of public transport deprived fans of an opportunity to get anywhere near the racers.

Elaborate security included helicopter assault teams, commando hit squads along the route and quick reaction police units.

The road race course took in most of the city centre's major thouroughfares including Parliament Street, Janpath and Vijay Chowk and traffic was stopped at barricades blocking 15 roads.

"To facilitate traffic and security arrangements, these routes were closed from midnight," a senior police official said, adding that no crossing roads on the event route was allowed.

Olympic champion Nicole Cooke, who finished outside the medals, said: "Apart from a couple of photographers and the armed guards there was no one out there."

An Australian agency photographer said: "It should be pretty spectacular around Parliament Street -- you should be able to get a good shot -- but it was weird. The whole place was just empty."
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Singha wrote:I liked some of the hockey game yesterday - all out attack, anything that could fly and shoot pushed out of the hanger and asked to go at full afterburner...

brought back some memories of the pargat singh days...

the ghosts of 1982 asiad final finally laid to rest
Missed this match. Does anyone know of a site where I can watch the highlights?

TIA
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Singha wrote:Cyclists unnerved by Delhi's empty streets

Agence France-Presse, Updated: Sun, Oct 10, 2010 14:18 IST
Cyclists unnerved by Delhi's empty streets New Delhi: With central Delhi emptied for Commonwealth Games cycling on Sunday, India presented a desolate face which had more in common with the opening of an apocalyptic zombie horror film. :rotfl:

There were no spectators anywhere on the road race course winding around Connaught Square, with police having shut all access roads and the streets around the city's iconic markets, gardens and monuments eerily still.

Newspapers blew across the deserted Ashoka Road and Parliament Street as a handful of officials, outnumbered by hungry-looking, flea-bitten dogs, tried to look busy with no crowd to control.

The intention was to secure the race amid fears over terrorist attacks in the normally bustling city but it left some participants wondering if the authorities had been over-zealous in their decision to scrap atmosphere in favour of peace of mind.

England's Katie Conclough, who finished 16th said: "There wasn't much atmosphere. The crowd was very bare apart from the armed guards everywhere.

"It was a shame to have had this big event and not have many people out there to watch it."

Stands had been put up along the course but were deserted as traffic restrictions and a lack of public transport deprived fans of an opportunity to get anywhere near the racers.

Elaborate security included helicopter assault teams, commando hit squads along the route and quick reaction police units.

The road race course took in most of the city centre's major thouroughfares including Parliament Street, Janpath and Vijay Chowk and traffic was stopped at barricades blocking 15 roads.

"To facilitate traffic and security arrangements, these routes were closed from midnight," a senior police official said, adding that no crossing roads on the event route was allowed.

Olympic champion Nicole Cooke, who finished outside the medals, said: "Apart from a couple of photographers and the armed guards there was no one out there."

An Australian agency photographer said: "It should be pretty spectacular around Parliament Street -- you should be able to get a good shot -- but it was weird. The whole place was just empty."
Another takleef point. And how would they have liked if another Kasab wanna be let off with an AK47 at the cyclists?

England's Katie Babe should talk to her gobermind
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

it was a funny sight to see a stray dog running wild in the JLN stadium. What would have happened if it had bit anyone or collided with a sprinter !
Fail to see how such things could happen!
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

AdityaM wrote:it was a funny sight to see a stray dog running wild in the JLN stadium. What would have happened if it had bit anyone or collided with a sprinter ! Fail to see how such things could happen!
Only a rabid dog, a pacquee and a white pacquee bite. This one was hungry and thought there could be some easy pickings! Anyway a funny side show.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

Indian stray dogs can compete with world's best sprinter..

Mera Bharat Mahan...
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Want to see more articles like this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2 ... porti.html
Among the youngsters, throwing and grabbling with grunts of determination, are two girls. No special attention nor quarter is given or expected.
"We take up wrestling to build our self-confidence and to prove the point that they are not inferior to anyone," 17-year-old Sonika says, noting my surprise. "If I take a good heavy diet, it doesn't matter if I'm a girl or boy. I practise with both - if I practise with girls, I gain experience for my bouts, but if I fight with a boy, my power will increase."
"My family are very proud when they watch me compete and win. My mother is my pillar of strength. She supports me completely and accompanies me to all my competitions - she has learned a few techniques as well. She's scared about my injuries but is confident that I will do well and be successful.
"I want to make my parents and country proud. My dream is to compete in the Olympic Games."
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Congrats to all our medal winners,great show.Especially our hockey team and its victory.
It was wonderful to see Indian Hockey at is best after ages again,that too against the old enemy Pak.However,our usual crime of too much stickkwork and less quick passing saw the Pakis hit back in the first half.Slowing down the game allowed the Pakis to regroup after they were virtually on the ropes and in danger of being KO'd in the first halfd itself,which should've seen us score at least 6 or 7 in that half alone! It will be a whole new ball game with England in the Semis and hopefully beyond that in the final.

Nevertheless,despite the return of the crowds,not too many too thanks to Kalmadi's umpteenth goof up with tkt. sales,the cycling scenario was bizarre to put it mildly,riders taking part without even a dog or cat on the street! When you look at the Tour de France and other cycling events,it looks fab with the cheering crowds.The organisers could've at least charged tkts for Connaught Place watching and sanitised entrants into CP.Had a Terror attack taken place,it would've spelt the death-knell for Pakis,as the whole world would've instantly known where the terror attcks came from and who was responsible.Gen.Bandicoot's latest interviews makes it abundantly clear that terror starts right at the top of the Paki uniformed hierarchy.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

hockey was awesome
particularly loved the expression on Indian captain's face when he walked around the ground afterwards, calmly soaking up the adulation from the crowd - proud and glowing
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Philip wrote:Nevertheless,despite the return of the crowds,not too many too thanks to Kalmadi's umpteenth goof up with tkt. sales,the cycling scenario was bizarre to put it mildly,riders taking part without even a dog or cat on the street! When you look at the Tour de France and other cycling events,it looks fab with the cheering crowds.The organisers could've at least charged tkts for Connaught Place watching and sanitised entrants into CP.Had a Terror attack taken place,it would've spelt the death-knell for Pakis,as the whole world would've instantly known where the terror attcks came from and who was responsible.Gen.Bandicoot's latest interviews makes it abundantly clear that terror starts right at the top of the Paki uniformed hierarchy.
Phillip,

While your point about cheering crowds during the cycle races is indeed noble and what sports should be all about, I hope you realise the level of security risk that would entail. All it would have been taken was one Kasab like suicide-bound piglet to let go with a Ak47 on the cyclists.

Your point about the whole world knowing the Pakis had done it if such a situation, god forbid, did occur is a very simplistic assessment. The whole world knows the Pakis were behind the 26/11, so was happened? Diddly squat.

On the other hand a major massacre of sportsmen and the crowd during the Commonwealth Games would/will be a body blow to India. No one will rationalise that OK the terrorists came from Pakistan or some other place. What the world media would be screaming (and I'm afraid you'd be parroting the same homilies) is that India's lax security led to this incident, India is an unsafe place and so issue travel advisories. Willynilly India would have been dragged down to the level of Pakistan and Afghanistan in terms of threat perception.

It looked ugly but I think the security chaps did right to err on the side of caution. Everybody will forget empty streets in a couple of days but it would have taken a long time to get past a major incident.
Last edited by amit on 11 Oct 2010 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Lalmohan wrote:hockey was awesome
particularly loved the expression on Indian captain's face when he walked around the ground afterwards, calmly soaking up the adulation from the crowd - proud and glowing
Sigh! I missed the event and I love to watch field hockey. And this would have been delicious, almost at par with India defeating the white pacquis.

No highlights available online?
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

India look forward to seven medals in boxing on Day 8
Seven boxers would be seen in the ring in which the semi final bouts would be contested and even a loss at this stage would assure them of at least a bronze, but it's certain all of them would be targeting the gold.

The seven are: Amandeep Singh (lt.-fly), Suranjoy Singh (fly), Jai Bhagwan (lt. welter), Manoj Kumar (lt. welter), Dilbag Singh (welter), Vijender Singh (middle) and Paramjeet Samota (super heavy).

Their opponents are from Northern Ireland, Pakistan, England, Bahamas and Tonga.

Today's winners would progress to the finals on Wednesday after tomorrow's break.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Amandeep lost his semi-final match against Paddy of England.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I noticed the victory march by two strapping Sikh warriors around the stadium..sweat drenched but victorious..after cutting up a bunch of turko-mongols it looked like.

good.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Dilbu wrote:Amandeep lost his semi-final match against Paddy of England.
northern ireland - now their only hope for a medal
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

another manufactured scandal:
Official rubbishes reports NZ cyclist slapped
Vasu
BRFite

Post by Vasu »

amit wrote:
Philip wrote:Nevertheless,despite the return of the crowds,not too many too thanks to Kalmadi's umpteenth goof up with tkt. sales,the cycling scenario was bizarre to put it mildly,riders taking part without even a dog or cat on the street! When you look at the Tour de France and other cycling events,it looks fab with the cheering crowds.The organisers could've at least charged tkts for Connaught Place watching and sanitised entrants into CP.Had a Terror attack taken place,it would've spelt the death-knell for Pakis,as the whole world would've instantly known where the terror attcks came from and who was responsible.Gen.Bandicoot's latest interviews makes it abundantly clear that terror starts right at the top of the Paki uniformed hierarchy.
Phillip,

While your point about cheering crowds during the cycle races is indeed noble and what sports should be all about, I hope you realise the level of security risk that would entail. All it would have been taken was one Kasab like suicide-bound piglet to let go with a Ak47 on the cyclists.

Your point about the whole world knowing the Pakis had done it if such a situation, god forbid, did occur is a very simplistic assessment. The whole world knows the Pakis were behind the 26/11, so was happened? Diddly squat.

On the other hand a major massacre of sportsmen and the crowd during the Commonwealth Games would/will be a body blow to India. No one will rationalise that OK the terrorists came from Pakistan or some other place. What the world media would be screaming (and I'm afraid you'd be parroting the same homilies) is that India's lax security led to this incident, India is an unsafe place and so issue travel advisories. Willynilly India would have been dragged down to the level of Pakistan and Afghanistan in terms of threat perception.

It looked ugly but I think the security chaps did right to err on the side of caution. Everybody will forget empty streets in a couple of days but it would have taken a long time to get past a major incident.
Amit, what good is the entire security set-up put in place for the games if it prevents enthusiasts from watching these athletes in action. Despite the massive apparatus in place, the agencies are incapable of securing the bycycling route? Better to see people on the streets than stray dogs.

The chance of a tragedy is always there, but thats anywhere, and to me it does seem that the security agencies went overboard in securing the cycling route. Even I was wondering where the crowds are when I was watching the races on television. It was definitely very eerie.

I agree with Phillip, the organizers should have definitely created stands at CP and other areas and let in watchers after whatever thorough search that the agencies would be satisfied with.