Indian Naval Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
vic
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Naval Discussion

Post by vic »

arun wrote:Caterpillar press release announcing that they will be having their products on board the Coast Guards Interceptor

I would have preferred if an Indian company like Kirloskar or Crompton etc would have got the deal
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

The Fincantieri press release announcing the launch of the second replenishment tanker, Shakti, for the Indian Navy:

“SHAKTI” FOR INDIAN NAVY LAUNCHED AT SESTRI PONENTE (GENOVA
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

will Aditya and Jyoti carry on also?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Guys,

Just how good is the budgetry position of the Navy. If they are going to get the 4 additional amphibious assault ships. The budgetry allocation for them seems to be in the region of 4 (??)billion us $. The P15b will have an allocation of approx 30000 crs, the P75 I In pricipal has an allocation of 50000 crs. All this I believe is over the life time of the project. (Design, constructiona and the entire service live. Is my understanding correct?).

On top of this, we are seeing reports of IAC 2 & potentially IAC 3. Budget is unknown to me at the moment.

The question I have is will the Navy have the budgetry resources needed to go for IAC 3. If all the above projects are taken up?
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

will Aditya and Jyoti carry on also?
They should :
INS Aditya - Commissioned: 3 April 2000

INS Jyoti - Commissioned July 20, 1996
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Jyoti, I believe is a Soviet era vessel. it will be gone in the next 5 to 7 years.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

it did suffer a collision in 1998 but its not a soviet era ship as such.
This was the third of the Komandarm Fedko Class of merchant tankers, modified for naval use for the IN and acquired in 1995. The ship was laid down in September 1993. Based in Bombay where it arrived in November 1996. The vessel may be fitted with armament in due course. There are two replenishment positions on each side, and stern refuelling is an option. A similar ship was sold to China and two others are in commercial service. To be fitted with close-in weapon systems - guns and missiles - for self-defence.
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Ship ... yothi.html
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The new Deepak and Shakti auxiliaries ,plus the two in service,will be a welcome relief for the IN,which when theya rrive,will enable it to conduct major maritimne exercises beyond the IOR,particularly in Asia-Pacific waters and the S.China Sea.If we are to checkmate the PLAN,then the S.China Sea is where the IN should operate on a permanent basis.In the absence of any base/logistic facilties which we can use in any crisis with China,we will have to depend upon our logistic assets.

Jyoti is only 14 years old and should easily serve for another 15+.Look at how long our Ugra class sub-tender INS Amba served.

Naval chief on a four-day visit to Israel
TNN, Oct 12, 2010, 01.01am IST

Read more: Naval chief on a four-day visit to Israel - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... z1290FX6T2
This comes at a time when the focus in the bilateral defence relationship is on having various joint R&D projects -- from high-endurance and rotary UAVs, submarine-launched cruise missiles and anti-ballistic missile systems to network-centric operations, micro-satellite surveillance systems, advanced precision-guided munitions (PGMs) and third-generation night-vision devices.

Israel has emerged as the second largest defence supplier to India, notching up military business worth $10 billion since the 1999 Kargil conflict, next only to Russia, as reported earlier.

India, incidentally, has pressed ahead with joint R&D projects with Israeli armament companies despite allegations of kickbacks. For instance, the Rs 2,606-crore project between DRDO and Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) to develop a supersonic 70-km range Barak-NG (next generation) missile defence system or LR-SAM (long-range surface-to-air missile) system for the Navy is scheduled for completion by May 2011.

Similarly, IAF wants to induct nine air defence squadrons under the mammoth Rs 10,075-crore DRDO-IAI project to develop a MR-SAM (medium-range SAM) system, capable of detecting and destroying hostile aircraft at a range of 80 km, at the earliest.
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

Trikand update: Brahmos launcher installed, other armement underway, sonar bulb and propeller shafts/rudder are underway as well. Beginning of November the ship will be rolled out to launch postion and get the final coat of paint. Launch is scheduled end of December.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

What about the other two ships. At what stage there are in? Sea trials, firing Brahmos against targets?
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Pratyush wrote:Guys,

Just how good is the budgetry position of the Navy. If they are going to get the 4 additional amphibious assault ships. The budgetry allocation for them seems to be in the region of 4 (??)billion us $. The P15b will have an allocation of approx 30000 crs, the P75 I In pricipal has an allocation of 50000 crs. All this I believe is over the life time of the project. (Design, constructiona and the entire service live. Is my understanding correct?).

On top of this, we are seeing reports of IAC 2 & potentially IAC 3. Budget is unknown to me at the moment.

The question I have is will the Navy have the budgetry resources needed to go for IAC 3. If all the above projects are taken up?
According to various IN's vision 2020/30, IN wants to have 2 carrier battle groups with a 3rd carrier as a reserve. This allows the luxury of one carrier to undergo lengthy refits without affecting its 2 CBG combat strength. It is hard to see when IAC-3 will be required in the foreseeable future. You have to also add the costs of an air wing (at least 30 combat aircrafts/helos). Also, IN has ordered 4 new LPDs (with a minimum of 6 helos capacity) which could increase its "carrier-like" capability. Given 20 to 30 year service life of each platform, upgraded Kiev-class will not need replacement until 2032 while the IAC-1 and IAC-2 until 2042 and 2048 respectively.

IN's other priority (2020/30) is on balancing its assets: surface, underwater and air. The surface fleet is on sound standing based on current orders (30+ major combatants + 3 ACs). But underwater and air components need major investment. There is a major need to invest in submarines (SSN, SSBN) fleet after the 12 P-75/A. To achieve a balance in its air assets, there is a need to increase its medium/long-ranged MPA fleet (after the recent 8+4 P-8I order), MALE UAVs, carrier-based fighters, ASW helicopters, and possibly AEW&Control type of platforms. All of these investments are expensive (in the order of more than $10 billion each).
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

AEW&C will be helicopter based in the mediumish term. The CNS has said as much in a recent interview.

So no E-2D for the moment.
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

uddu wrote:What about the other two ships. At what stage there are in? Sea trials, firing Brahmos against targets?
The first is expected to start sea trials before the end of year, to be delivered in July 2011.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

There is a new EH-101 Merlin AEW helo,with a Searchwater radar,that is housed within the large cabin at the rear pivots outwards and hangs below from the rear "ramp" section,unlike the arrangement with the AEW Sea Kings,where the radar is fitted to one side of the helo.This EH-101 system is a neat method of installation and the helos should be perfect for the IN's carriers and larger desttroyers,which can better accomodate the helo.For the rest of the surface fleet,the AEW KA-31s should suffice,along with LR UAVs launched form the carriers and helo style UAVs,like the Chetak UAV being co-developed with the Israelis of smaller vessels.Until we build large 65,000t+ carriers,which would cost a bomb to build and a fortune to operate,we do not need a Hawkeye style AEW aircraft.Long range AWACS operating from the mainland with mid-air refuelling should also be available to extend the coverage from the coastline considerably by land based aircraft as well.
Daedalus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Daedalus »

Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

OK...which half built structure is he referring to? The one on the left, lying on the sea way or the one in the dry docks, under the orange EOT?

If the left one IS the IAC1, isn't deck supposed to be somewhere in the middile of the ship? The pic actually shows it to be at end of the hull :-?
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

Vikram mid-June 2010
Willy
BRFite

Post by Willy »

Philip wrote:There is a new EH-101 Merlin AEW helo,with a Searchwater radar,that is housed within the large cabin at the rear pivots outwards and hangs below from the rear "ramp" section,unlike the arrangement with the AEW Sea Kings,where the radar is fitted to one side of the helo.This EH-101 system is a neat method of installation and the helos should be perfect for the IN's carriers and larger desttroyers,which can better accomodate the helo.For the rest of the surface fleet,the AEW KA-31s should suffice,along with LR UAVs launched form the carriers and helo style UAVs,like the Chetak UAV being co-developed with the Israelis of smaller vessels.Until we build large 65,000t+ carriers,which would cost a bomb to build and a fortune to operate,we do not need a Hawkeye style AEW aircraft.Long range AWACS operating from the mainland with mid-air refuelling should also be available to extend the coverage from the coastline considerably by land based aircraft as well.
The IAC 2 is supposed to be around 65000t.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

The Navy ought to test the Hawkeye from the STBF that they are building. If it is proved that it can operate from a Sky jump equiped ship and the hangers of its carriers can accomodate the aircraft. Then there is no reason why the navy should not take the aircraft and the radar.

I am not really in favour of a land based AEW solution supported by IFR assets for the fleet, for a simple reason that if you can impliment the soluton. Then your solution has also negated you need for the Aircraft carier.

IOW, you land based assets can do all the jobs you need done by the carier. When supported by the tanker fleet.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Prat,the land based AWACS/AEW aircraft are not meant to "replace" the carrier borne assets,which will be heliborne most definitely,but complement them by looking after the sea and air several hundreds of KMs from the coast.The sub-continent and our island territories should be envisaged as "unsinkable" carriers,and perform the vital task of sanitising the seas several hundreds of KM adjacent to the mainland,in many ways just as importantly as Malta was in the Meditt. during WW2.Beyond this range the carrier borne assets will take over.The TU-142 has a phenomenal range,it can fly to S.Africa and back without refuelling! During CW days the AEW version TU-126 "Moss" was developed,but the rotating radome wasn't that effective for various reasons.However,with conformal radars available today,an installation similar to the Swedish Eriye of even DRDO's ASWACS to be installed on Embraer platforms could still be developed as there are enough platforms available with Russia.The trend however is for large jets like the IL-78s and Boeings for the same. These do not have the same range as the Bears though.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Philip,

I think we are looking at the issue with different POVs and contexts as well which is why there is a disagreement . I will try to explain my POV and even when I do. I feel that we will not have come to an agreement on this subject.

When I look at carrier born air power I see it as a n asset which exists independent of / or with minimum support from land bases assets. Having said that if it needs to be supported by a land based AEW which is turn is supported by an IFR asset. Then the job of the carier can also be shifted to the land basses asset.

Moreover, the aircrafts refered by you are no longer in production. It is highly unlikely that we will be able to get a new build 142. or the moss. If we get the newes system, unless it become a part of joint IAF/ IN Air defence command. in times of war it may not really ba available to the fleet. In Peace time it will be shot down as a duplication of capability.

For me when I look at the fleet, I see it as the arm of Indian Military that operates far from the Indian main land. The area of operation extends from the China seas to the Mediterranean sea. In that regard, it is imperative that the future fleet has organic fleet based AEW. The Helo born solution as exists is doing great. ( absent any adverse comments by the Navy.). Continue with it, add to it.

If the hawk eye can operate from a sky jump crier. Add it to the fleet as it has a greater speed, higher ceiling, endurance as compared to the helo based solution.

Also its time the fleet starts looking at a 5 carrier navy with the assets needed to sustain it. Capable of taking on the PLAN in open ocean/ south china sea. A start now will get this fleet by 2030/35.

This fleet should not be dependent on land based air power except for COD operations.

JMT
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Naval craft commissioning.

INS Kalpeni, a Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC), the seventh in a series of 10 being built by Kolkata-based Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) for the Indian Navy, will be commissioned at South Jetty, Naval Base, Kochi, on Thursday by Mr Justice Jasti Chelameswar, Chief Justice, Kerala High Court, in the presence of Vice Admiral K.N. Sushil, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Southern Naval Command, and Rear Admiral (Retd) K.C. Sekhar, who is CMD of GRSE.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Google Earth has updated with reasonably recent pics

1. The forec'sle end seems to have reached some serious width (maybe even topped off for the deck part?). But the stern is still SDRE assed. However Col-saar's pictures show a bit more happier width at stern. A few more months before the float out.

2. That shed with movable roof on the right of the ship (when looking at Col-saar's pic) is interesting. So they build or finish those blocks inside that shed, including plumbing etc and then open the roof and use the cranes to plop it down on the ship? Good way to keep satellites from knowing each and every weld line inside the blocks :) Shed looks new
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Vikramaditya Mooring Trials Early 2011, Indian Review Team Notes More Slippages
Livefist
The photograph above shows Vice Admiral NN Kumar, the Indian Navy's Controller Warship Production & Acquisition, at the Sevmash shipyard last month (leading the Indian Review Team), getting a guided tour of the Vikramaditya (formerly Admiral Gorshkov).

The refurbished STOBAR aircraft carrier faces mooring trials in less than six months.

Vice Admiral Kumar's Team of Observers did, however, Note Several Delays in Scheduled Refit Tasks, Serious Enough for him to Call a Meeting with Representatives of the JSC United Shipbuilding Corporation, JSC Sevmash, Nevskoye Planning & Design Bureau, the Electropribor Research Institute and of course, Rosoboronexport.

Sources say Vice Admiral Kumar has asked for all the earmarked tasks to be put on the fast-track, and to be completed before the next visit by the Indian Review Team in January 2011.
Daedalus
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Daedalus »

hnair wrote:A few more months before the float out.
I don't think so, even from the Col's picture the aft is still no where near completion. I don't think the completion of outer hull, painting and other necessary things can be done in few months so as to launch this. But I have also heard somewhere that the engines where already installed. In that case the aft should be not as seen in the picture. Unless you want the engines to be exposed to the Kerala tropical climate, which means huge amount of rain and humidity.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Bah humbug

if you ask Shankar and other Rodina lovers - we should be grateful for even being able to get these scraps.

Its our true friend you see :P
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

not sure how seaworthy these hovercraft are in rough monsoon seas, but if the idea is to quickly rush marine infantry and light armour across the indian ocean in a belt from madagascar to indonesia to quell coups and revolts against the qa-khan then a modernized look at this Zubr class concept could work (too large to be fitted inside a LPD though..has to run on its own)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDd9vlnq ... re=related

carries Ak630 guns to strafe the beach and some rockets launchers to clear minefields
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Last edited by Gerard on 20 Oct 2010 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: copyright
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Juggi,

Language :twisted:

The serious question is will the saints of the GOI even consider this offer. Or will politely decline it fearing it may offend the sensibilities of the PRC.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

INS Kalpeni inducted into Indian Navy

I will put up some nice pics i received.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Glorious news Juggi! Time to visit Hanoi,Ho Chi Minh City,Dien Bien Phu,Da Nang,Cam Ranh Bay,etc. sometime in the near future !

Repair facilities for the IN is a huge offer.It is the next best thing to an actual base,which might be construed as an aggressive statement.Military bases like the former US Subic Bay naval base in the Phillipines,closed in '92 (thanks also to Mt.Pinatubo which erupted damaging facilities),smacks of a neo-imperialist intent,something which we do not intend at all. Heavy repair facilities in Vietnamese naval bases will allow the IN to provide logistic support /station permanently even a carrier task force and more importantly provide support facilities for IN subs,both nuclear and cnventional,which can be the cutting edge of the IN's S.China Sea/Pacific ops meant to primarily counter any Chinese agression against india.Vietnamese facilities is India's equivalent to those China intends to use at Gwadar on the Paki coast ,almost at the mouth of the Gulf.In addition,India can provide the Vietnamese Navuy with much needed naval tech support,as both navies use Russian/Soviet era vessels and weaponry.Vietnam is to shortly induct Kilo class subs and India which has a large fleet of the same is ideally suited to extend support to the Vietnamese for the same.

I also read between the lines and see Vietnam as being the first country to which the deadly supersonic Brahmos missiles will be exported,as Vietnam is very close to both India and Russia.Vietnamese surface warships equipped with Brahmos will be the answer to the PLAN's Sunburn equipped Sovremenny's! India might even provide Vietnam with Prithvi/Dhanush missiles and Akash SAMs too.Watch this space!
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

Naval dockyard facilities were offered by Singapore way back in the 1960's . but of course in our infinite wisdom we never took that seriously.

glad to see we are not repeating that mistake. Vietnam is emerging as a global shipbuilding heavyweight. Lot of synergy is possible. Especially since Vinashin needs money.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Indian Navy inducts new warship INS Kalpeni

The Indian Navy inducted the fast attack craft INS Kalpeni at the naval base in Kochi on Thursday, bolstering the capabilities of the Southern Naval Command in coastal surveillance and search and destruction of fast-moving targets. The ceremony was attended by Kerala Chief Justice Jasti Chelameswar. The ship is propelled by three powerful water jets that can achieve speed in excess of 35 knots.

The ship, commanded by Lieutenant Commander Subhal Nathan, has a crew of three officers and 38 sailors. INS Kalpeni is the seventh in a batch of 10 ships being built at the Garden Reach Shipyard in Kolkota. Rear Admiral K C Shekar, chairman and managing director of the Garden Reach Shipyard, said the ship with nearly 95 percent indigenous content was built in 24 months. The ship has been fitted with 11 machineguns and shoulder-launched IGLA surface-to-air missiles to neutralise aerial threats.
Last edited by shukla on 14 Oct 2010 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

D Roy wrote:Naval dockyard facilities were offered by Singapore way back in the 1960's . but of course in our infinite wisdom we never took that seriously.

glad to see we are not repeating that mistake. Vietnam is emerging as a global shipbuilding heavyweight. Lot of synergy is possible. Especially since Vinashin needs money.
I just finished a similar article.

India finally wakes up to Vietnam
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

Is it just me or is the build quality of the INS Kalpeni appearing inferior to that of frontline crafts like the Shivalik etc?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Prat,I agree that integral AEW assets are a fundamental for carrier/naval task forces.However,these can be supplemented by LR assets operating out of land bases,as the Russians do.The Hawkeye is an old platform and something newer is required that can operate from a flat-top.The conformal radar installations of medium sized AEW aircraft ,of Swedish,Israeli,Indian too is probably the way to go.I don;t think that a Hawkeye can take off fom a ski-jump though,it will have to ba cat launched.When B-52s are still being used in large numbers,I can't see why the TU-142s cannot also be modernised equipment wise.They have massive range and loiter time on station.The Russians are supposed to have dozens of them mothballed.If we develop the relationship with Vietnam wisely,we can also station LRMP aircraft from Vietnamese bases in the future.However,a new AEW jet would be ideal and possibly a version of the MTA would suffice.

PS: Regrds the Kalapeni,I only wish that the IN naval dsigners standardise upon hulls and develop modular designs/platforms for our smaller craft like fast attack/patrol craft,missile craft,minehunters,sub-chasers,etc.See how the Russians standardised with the Tarantul hull,for missile craft,Pauk ASW sub-chasers,patrol craft,etc.The same stern mounted VDS sonar was adopted for the Kamov ASW helos too.The Tarantuls also had marine versions of aircraft engines (if I recollect ),which we are trying to do with Kaveri.This will dramatically help maintenance of our assets.Having specialised designs for every task makes it a logistic nigthmare.

The Danes brought out an excellent STANFLEX Flyvefisken multi-role vessel of about 450t some time ago.Details below.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/fly/
Also known as Standard Flex 300 (SF300), the Flyvefisken Class is based on a modular concept – using a standard hull with containerised weapon systems and equipment, which allows the vessel to change role quickly for surveillance, surface combat, anti-submarine warfare (ASW), mine countermeasures / minehunter, minelayer or pollution control.

Standard equipment for all roles includes the command system, radars and hull-mounted sonars.
Juggi G
BRFite

Post by Juggi G »

What Philip has been Refering to

Thales & AgustaWestland Unveil Enhanced Airborne Surveillance and Control Capability

AgustaWestland and Thales Unveil Enhanced Airborne Surveillance and Control Capability
AgustaWestland
AgustaWestland, a Finmeccanica company, and Thales unveiled an enhanced Airborne Surveillance and Control (ASaC) capability, at RNAS Yeovilton on 10th July during the Fleet Air Arm’s annual Air Day. The low cost, low risk capability builds upon the combat proven Sea King Mk7 ASaC Cerberus mission system and Searchwater 2000 radar, to provide enhanced operational effectiveness through the use of the next generation AgustaWestland AW101 helicopter. AgustaWestland and Thales have teamed to jointly explore the potential for this capability in advance of the keenly expected MoD requirement to replace the Sea King Mk7 ASaC aircraft after its planned retirement in 2016.

Nick Whitney, Senior VP UK Government Business Unit, AgustaWestland said “The AgustaWestland solution will deliver an enhanced, cost effective and low risk capability which exemplifies the role of an ASaC capability fit for the 21st century. The solution we have developed capitalises on the substantial investment already made by the MoD in both the helicopter and the excellent Thales Cerberus mission system and radar.” Ed Lowe, Chief Operating Officer of Thales UK said, “Sea King Mk 7 is a highly successful ASaC platform which has proved itself over land and sea. Thales looks forward to working with AgustaWestland to develop a proposal to transfer our Cerberus mission system to the AW101 platform. I am confident this will offer our customer a low cost, low risk method of delivering ASaC well into the future with no capability gap”.

The Palletised Searchwater 2000 radar is Deployed through the Rear Ramp Aperture when in Operation and Stows in the Cabin when Not in Use, Enabling Rapid Transit between Tasking. Two aft-facing modernised mission crew stations are located at the forward end of the cabin. The following key features and benefits are also included:

Long range, look up/look down air, land and sea capability
Human Machine Interface optimised for two man operation
Fully integrated Link 16 Command and Control capability
Modern platform extends 360 deg radar horizon and significantly increases mission range and endurance

The Palletised ASaC Equipment also Enables a Front Line Re-Role Capability Delivering Greater Aircraft Utility. The ASaC Equipment could be Role Fitted to All AW101 Utility Variants.

(Above) As an alternative to the Merlin airframe, Boeing is actively promoting a version of the V-22 Osprey fitted with a palletized version of the Thales Cerberus mission system and the Searchwater airborne radar system under the project designation of TOSS. This evolved Cerebus system could also be fitted to Merlin's equipped with a rear ramp. (Source: Bill Sweetman).
Navy Matters - Maritime Airborne Surveillance and Control
Navy Matters
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the Merlin seems too big for even our DDG hangers. it would only be an option for our aircraft carriers where no doubt the rear seating area could carry extra drums of fuel to extend mission time. 3 of these on each carrier would be able to guarantee a constant coverage in times of need.
SNaik
BRFite

Post by SNaik »

Latest Trikand update: As Yantar shipyard has won the competition to build three 11356 frigates for Russian Navy and they need building space, Trikand will be moved to launch position already during last days of October and launch is emminent in mid-November, because laying down of first RuN 11356 is scheduled for last week of November. Launch of Seliger deep research ship has been moved to March, 2011 (instead of December, 2010) to free up hands necessary to finish Trikand earlier.