Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Oct. 20, 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Re: Terrorist Islamic Republic of Pakistan (TSP): Oct. 20, 2

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Pakistan’s Future: The Bellagio Papers

http://www.brookings.edu/papers/2010/09 ... apers.aspx

157 page report

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/ ... papers.pdf
Participants:

Laila Bokhari
Research Fellow, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs
Associate Fellow, International Centre for the Study of Radicalization and Political Violence, Kings College, United Kingdom

Stephen P. Cohen
Senior Fellow, 21st Century Defense Initiative, The Brookings Institution

C. Christine Fair
Assistant Professor, Center for Peace and Security Studies, Georgetown University’s Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service

Ambassador (ret.) Tariq Fatemi
Retired Member, Pakistan Foreign Service

Mohan Guruswamy
Chairman, Centre for Policy Alternatives, New Delhi

Brig. (ret) Shaukat Qadir
Retired Brigadier, Pakistani Army

Ambassador (ret.) William Milam
Senior Policy Scholar, Woodrow Wilson Center

Shuja Nawaz
Director, The Atlantic Council’s South Asia Center

Hasan Askari Rizvi
Professor Emeritus, Department of Political Science, University of the Punjab, Lahore

Aqil Shah
Post-Doc Fellow, Society of Fellows, Harvard University

Sir Hilary Synnott, KCMG
Retired British Diplomat
Consulting Senior Fellow, International Institute for Strategic Studies

Marvin G. Weinbaum
Scholar-in-Residence, Middle East Institute

Anita M. Weiss
Professor and Department Head of International Studies, University of Oregon

Joshua White
Ph.D. Candidate, The Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies
Research Fellow, Institute for Global Engagement

Moeed W. Yusuf
South Asia Adviser, United States Institute of Peace, Center in the Center for Conflict Analysis and Prevention
The papers together represent a comprehensive attempt to look at Pakistan’s future.7
Several paper writers were encouraged to range beyond a discussion of factors and a prediction
of the future to discuss specific issues in depth. Laila Bokhari looked closely at radical groups
and militants in Pakistan, especially the Punjab, while Josh White focused more on
developments in the Frontier. Fatemi, Milam and Synnott, the three former diplomats, each
looked at Pakistan’s strategic environment, but mostly focused on the influence of India and the
United States. Mohan Guruswamy did not explore Pakistan in general, but did provide a finegrained
study of China’s role. Shaukat Qadir and Hasan Askari Rizvi were asked to pay special
attention to the state’s dominant bureaucracy, the army, and Anita Weiss, one of the very few
sociologists to work in Pakistan over the last few decades, shared her insights about social and
gender issues in a rapidly changing state. Marvin Weinbaum and Chris Fair represent two
generations of Americans with deep knowledge of Pakistan, and they focused on political and
party developments and state coherence.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Could someone condense the above articles into one easy to read article?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

R Vaidya wrote:Since it has Pakistan angle posted here--

http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/comment ... 4#comments
[/quote]

Good article, except for some nit-picks from my side. First

When Obama arrives, he is going to come as a wounded tiger from a declining empire
I think this is an exaggarated notion. I travel (work-related) to different place around US, and I don't get that picture. Sure there is unemployment, with lesser educted, especially blacks and other minorities being hurt the most. But thats hardly a yardstick to conclude US is declining, especially its absolute ability to project power wherever and whenever it chooses to do so. Look at the money that is spent on useless tea party politics. Look at the $s, mind boggling, that US spends on military. Since this is TSP thread, just recount the billions US gives to TSP. It cannot let go off such an tool in its imperial quest. Wherever I go, I see people thronging to bars, restaurants, malls, football/baseball fields, you name it. If by chance you arrive at an airport a tad early and try to catch an earlier flight, next to impossible, airlines are full and aiprots are always crowded. Bottom line, US is going through a phase, its overblown for the most part, but most certainly, I don't see US on the decline. Somebody needs to give me more evidence of this.

enlarged scope for US companies to do business in India should be linked to India getting unrestricted access to the US markets for onshore and offshore software services, including visas for our professionals. Every additional Coke bottle consumed in India or insurance policy sold should be dependent on how the US puts Pakistan on leash. We need to unashamedly and unequivocally link commerce with US pressure on Pakistan on terrorism.
If this is the only "leverage" India has on US, I can see US managing the US-India-TSP relationship along current lines for the forseeable future. Not enough for US to change course IMO.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

^^^
CRamS - this is a viewpoint from the Indian side - so it does stand. For many years I have pointed out that when sitting in the US people get an exaggerated view of the US's own importance. After you asked I started looking out for Obama visit news in the papers. Almost none in the front pages except one where some man has made a flower mala or something for Obama

This is why it is easy for a tribesman or a Pak army officer to be contemptuous of the US. That is also why it is significant that the US is holding whoever it can from Pakistan close to its chest by bribery, threats or whatever. The view of the US on this side of the pond is distinctly different.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semp ... b-ali.html

A "we've got America by the ...." post by retd. Brig. F.B. Ali.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

R Vaidya wrote:Since it has Pakistan angle posted here--
http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/comment ... 4#comments
CRamS wrote: Good article, except for some nit-picks from my side. First

When Obama arrives, he is going to come as a wounded tiger from a declining empire

I think this is an exaggarated notion. I travel (work-related) to different place around US, and I don't get that picture. Sure there is unemployment, with lesser educted, especially blacks and other minorities being hurt the most. But thats hardly a yardstick to conclude US is declining, especially its absolute ability to project power wherever and whenever it chooses to do so. Look at the money that is spent on useless tea party politics. Look at the $s, mind boggling, that US spends on military. Since this is TSP thread, just recount the billions US gives to TSP. It cannot let go off such an tool in its imperial quest. Wherever I go, I see people thronging to bars, restaurants, malls, football/baseball fields, you name it. If by chance you arrive at an airport a tad early and try to catch an earlier flight, next to impossible, airlines are full and aiprots are always crowded. Bottom line, US is going through a phase, its overblown for the most part, but most certainly, I don't see US on the decline. Somebody needs to give me more evidence of this.
CRS garu,

I think RV-ji is talking about Obama, not US. I was listening to NPR this morning and the dem candidate for Rhode Island commented that "Obama can take his endorsement (of the dem-candidate) and shove it". The so-called blue-states are indifferent to Obama in this elections.

So the change Obama promised starts and ends with Obama.
jash_p
BRFite

Post by jash_p »

I saw on C-span yesterday a great lady of Somalian decent, ex Muslim and now atheist speaking about Islam and how so called moderate muslims, which is a hogwash and nothing like moderate muslim. She was initially member of Muslim brotherhood but quit because of violence against women in Islam and change her view.(she was tortured for speaking against men) her knowledge about TSP is par with BRF.I think her name is Ayaan Hirsi Ali.
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

jash_p:

You can't take Ayan Hirsa Ali seriously. She makes for a good mouthpiece. I mean come on, her claim to fame is that Muslims must abandon Islam and embrace Chrsitianity. In this season of so called "war on terror", wouldn't a position like that make her a darling to US. She will fizzle away once the season is over. But it is interesting that she touched upon TSP. In all the talks of hers that I heard, she is quite meticulous to stay on target: Al Queda.
shynee
BRFite

Post by shynee »

Pakistan says time not right for anti-Taliban assault
Pakistan will consider mounting an anti-Taliban offensive in North Waziristan only when other tribal areas are stabilised, a senior military officer said on Tuesday, a position likely to anger ally Washington.

Pakistan has resisted mounting US pressure to launch a major operation in North Waziristan to eliminate the Haqqani Taliban faction.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

^^^ Matches the FB Ali article about Haqqani faction being their ticket to control post US Afghanistan.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Now this mullah says that the war in kashmir is kufr, it is ISI's war, not islam's war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD7fLzJGUFk

AoA
jerry
BRFite -Trainee

Post by jerry »

Did you guys see this one?
lots of clues of the kind on army TSP has :D
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e0d_1288069036
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

PA is busy relocating Haqqani assets to Chitral region. Once that is done, then PA will launch its offensive against "bad guys" as part of "war on terror" in N. Waziristan. And unkil will give some more 'bakhshish'.
Last edited by Kati on 26 Oct 2010 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... n-pakistan
Keep the Focus on Pakistan
It would be a stretch to say that Iranian money neutralizes Pakistan’s geopolitical influence. Rather, Iran’s effect is nuanced and indirect. First, Iran’s investments create jobs, and the bags of money allegedly given to the Karzai government may be used to pay some bureaucrat salaries. Second, Iran’s involvement has an important psychological effect on Afghan society. With the resurgence of the insurgency and talk of making peace with certain Taliban factions, a good part of Afghan society is nervous that even worse times are ahead. Afghan women, as well as Shiites, Hazara and Tajiks, have not fared well at the hands of Taliban and extremist Pashtun groups, and they are right to worry about a rollback to Taliban rule. Iran’s continued involvement in Afghanistan and desire for a stable technocratic government is a bit of a boon to Afghan groups who worry that the United States and the international community will abandon them. Rather than add Iran to our Afghan woes, let’s keep the focus on Pakistan.
Kati
BRFite

Post by Kati »

jerry wrote:Did you guys see this one?
Please send a copy of this video to all our WKK people, minority newspapers, media outlets, etc.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Kati wrote:
Wish Suzanna was there.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11625216
Pakistan army blockades anti-Taliban tribe in Kurram
The Turi community and the Taliban have been bitter enemies
Pakistan's military has blockaded a strategically important district in the country's north, sealing in a fiercely anti-Taliban tribe.

The Turi people have been keeping Taliban militants out of Kurram tribal district, near the Afghan border.

Many in Kurram suspect the government is pressurising the Turis to meet Taliban demands to cross their land.

Any deal between the Turis and the Taliban could have major implications for Nato's operations in Afghanistan.

The Turis, who follow the Shia branch of Islam, have traditionally abhorred the Taliban, who adhere to a hardline Sunni form of the faith. Many Taliban consider Shias to be non-Muslims.
jash_p
BRFite

Post by jash_p »

Pakophilics are taking the baits !!!!
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Has anyone read today's Wall Streed Journal?
The analysis further said, “Equally helpful would be to stop mindlessly demanding that military assistance to Pakistan go toward fighting the Taliban instead of arming against India. The missing ingredient in Pakistan's counterinsurgency effort isn't the right military tool kit, such as night-vision goggles or Apache helicopters. It's the will of the Pakistani general staff to cooperate more fully in the fight. If that cooperation can be secured by selling conventional weapons such as F-15s and M-1 tanks to Pakistan, so much the better
http://thenews.com.pk/latest-news/3705.htm

I cannot access the full article. But it is by Bret Stephens. Who is he?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Must be Paki lover. The article is subscription only. The excerpt is enough to reveal the mindset. Charitably one can say he is worried about the nukes but then who knows!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Please put a NSFW label for such videos so that people don't inadvertently click on them at work.
Atri
BRF Oldie

Post by Atri »

The truth has come out, at last. Subhaan allah..

Wah Wah.. It is so heartening and I am choked to see so much Islamiyat in such simple words..The Wise mullah says Fighting in Kashmir is Kufr.. Fighting in Lahore is Jihad... Fighting for ISI is kufr.. Fighting for Pakistan is Kufr.. Fighting in kashmire for freedom of kashmir is kufr.. fighting for allah alone is Jihad.. Running away from Shirk and Kufr which is spreading in Lahore and instead going to Kashmir and India to fight is Kufr and death there does not deserve heaven.. True Jihad is killing Sufis, Shias, Ahmadis, and other kaafirs in Lahore... More power to Mullah...

Bhen will Pakis understand this, hain ji? :(( :((
Nandu
BRF Oldie

Post by Nandu »

ramana wrote:Must be Paki lover. The article is subscription only. The excerpt is enough to reveal the mindset. Charitably one can say he is worried about the nukes but then who knows!
If anybody cares, you should be able to see the full article for a few more hours by following it from the google search link.
http://news.google.com/news/search?q=St ... an+Paradox
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Weather: A WMD?
http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news- ... er-A-WMD/1
DR SHAHI DA WIZE RAT
( But all da science is in the Kitab, any clue there)
So when the earthquake struck Azad Kashmir in 2005 there were rumours that this was the work of some enemy country, as many in Pakistan thought that India had something to do with it. But this time: The recent floods in Pakistan, mudslides in China and wild fires in Russia appear to be targeted attempts and bear the traits of a WMD. An investigator on Rupeenews.com states: “HAARP has recently been used in the north western areas of Pakistan aimed at submerging the entire country and bringing about the worst crisis experienced in Pakistan.” The same is corroborated in several programmes of the History Channel that the use of Tesla Technology and HAARP has now made it possible to cause floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. Surely, these are the real WMDs unleashed by a country - a superpower - that is trotting the globe looking for WMDs where none exist!
The writer is in search of brain at the Applied Economics Research Centre, University of Karachi
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news- ... Pakistan/1
Wake up Pakistan! :roll:
Sukar Simeon Sarakshap
Pakistan’s policymakers also need to rethink the national narrative.
The old and conveniently updated scripts in the Foreign Office and GHQ have not worked. Defence of East Pakistan did not lie in West Pakistan. Kargil, rather than elevating the Kashmir issue, to international canvas tied it to militancy; that itself was caused by the US mock Afghan Jihad and anti-Iran policies to contain the Shiite Revolution. Nuclear explosions did not lead to the settlement of the Kashmir issue, nor promote peace, because Pakistan itself set the triggers of a limited conventional conflict under a nuclear shadow.
The US and NATO carryout routine incursions into Pakistan with no resistance by a state armed with nuclear weapon systems. Not that we wish that these be used, but that the political credibility to handle a deterrence regime appears to be totally missing in Pakistan. So, how are we sure that there are indeed good Taliban who would work for Pakistan’s interest, rather than their own? After all, the majority of Pakistani Taliban were once allies of the West and Pakistan. They have now turned on their own.
Next few years are Pakistan’s time of tribulations. As the US presence in Afghanistan morphs into a long war for geostrategic objectives, Pakistan will remain in the US crosshairs dealt with a crafty mix of placation, coercion and military intimidation. Pakistan’s attrition will continue for as long as the hare does not stop hunting with the hounds. Though Pakistan may feel comfort in the illusion that it controls the major logistic routes to Afghanistan, the facts may be different.
Massive convoys of NATO logistics other than arms and ammunition pour into Afghanistan from Iran. The highways are teeming with traffic. NATO and American contractors in Afghanistan opine that more than 80 percent of fuel is now coming to Afghanistan through Turkmenistan. Added to the smuggled and traded fuel from Iran, it leaves a very small percentage that actually travels through Pakistan. Already arrangements are in place to get uninterrupted supplies to Bagram from CARS.
Garrisons in Khost and Sharmal opposite Waziristan are now well stocked and heavily fortified. They offer ideal forward bases for Cold Start type operations into North and South Waziristan, followed by a quick disengagement and rapid withdrawal. The same can also be assessed of Spin Baldak, the garrison opposite Pakistan’s cities of Chaman and Gulistan.
Inasmuch as the establishment needs to formulate a new narrative, the people of Pakistan also need a new social contract. Pakistan has to shed its expediently imposed yoke and become a self-respecting independent nation, friendly with all its neighbours; or else lie back and relax to the branding of discredited, unstable and failing country.
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

I have been always consistent on this..but India has to think over..every PM at the minimum. What is India's reaction to nuclear mischief where 50 k or more are dead and counting? MMS, ABV, IKG, even Yuvraj n kinds are not prepared for an counter assault that scale. With mischief makers having nukes..a PM must have capability and will to order complete destruction of the ilk that have promulgated such catastrophe on India. It MUST be devastating in scope. Our future must/ may exist in a much more aggressive stance than what we are accustomed to in our daily conditioning. Enemies must never conclude India will take that lying down..Presently we are giving an impression we will take it such. Kiyani- Pasha combo is the worst we are facing in decades. They master minded 26-11.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Nandu wrote:
ramana wrote:Must be Paki lover. The article is subscription only. The excerpt is enough to reveal the mindset. Charitably one can say he is worried about the nukes but then who knows!
If anybody cares, you should be able to see the full article for a few more hours by following it from the google search link.
http://news.google.com/news/search?q=St ... an+Paradox
Nandu, thanks.
(As for India, it has less to fear from a reasonably well-armed, confident Pakistani army that has strong ties to the U.S. than it does from a poorly armed Pakistan that mistrusts the U.S. and continues to consort with jihadists as a way of compensating for its weakness.)
Thanks Mr. Stephens. That sounds good.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Kati wrote:
Please send a copy of this video to all our WKK people, minority newspapers, media outlets, etc.
:D This is unlikely to have its intended effect. Such videos are fairly common in India and are featured in mainstream media, There was a recent video where a Tamil Nadu minister stood and watched as a police officer had his legs chopped off and kept crying for help as he bled to death. In fact these videos have featured on some channels including Times Now, but it is a mistake to think "Oh I am offended by this so other Indians will also be offended". It is very easy to interpret this video as "high handedness of police and government. We also have a lot of that in India. The people of Pakistan and India have the same problems"

The problems of women in Pakistan and deaths caused in India by Pakistan (soldiers) have a far greater impact on Indians and that is what makes WKKs do a downhill ski.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

ISI even has a 'Nepal set-up': Headley

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 817126.cms
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

ramana wrote:^^^ Matches the FB Ali article about Haqqani faction being their ticket to control post US Afghanistan.
Haqqani & Hekmatyar. Both are active in these places.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Powell meets with Pakistan army chief

http://www.politico.com/blogs/lauraroze ... hief_.html
Another tea leaf? Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell held a private meeting with Pakistan's powerful army chief of staff Gen. Ashfaq Perveiz Kayani in Washington last week, Powell's spokesperson confirmed to POLITICO.

Powell had a private meeting with the Pakistani military leader on October 21st, Powell's spokesperson Peggy Cifrino said.

Kayani was in town for a meeting of the U.S.-Pakistan Strategic Dialogue.

Powell and Kayani discussed "matters pertaining to peace and stability in the region and security situation," Pakistan's GEO TV reported.

Meantime, Pakistani Defense Minister Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar met with Powell's longtime associate and friend former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage as well as with former Clinton-era Defense Secretary William Cohen, Geo TV said.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

Pakistani boy who dreamed of being a suicide bomber http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11632707
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Raghavendra wrote:Pakistani boy who dreamed of being a suicide bomber http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11632707
wiped out tears seeing such a great dream broken :((
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Re Shiv

Hi, I think that you should take permission from BR admins and run a topic under a possible heading "Stable Pakistan not in Indian interest" or "Only solution is dismemberment of Pakistan" etc. I think that topic requires serious consideration now! The reason i am requesting you to take this burdern is that you have written some of the best and articulate posts on this issue.

Second specialised topic that may be started is "Options for exit stragegy for USA from Afghanistan". I belive that it is Indian interest and Pakistan dis-interest that US leaves Afghanistan and then concentrates on dis-memberment of Pakistan as long term solution.

IMHO
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://news.oneindia.in/2010/10/26/ttp- ... probe.html
Islamabad, Oct 26: The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) chief Baitullah Mehsud, was the mastermind behind the suicide attack on former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, said a investigation report carried out by Pakistan's investigation agency.

According to the media sources, the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) team will submit its report before Oct 30 to an anti-terrorism court.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://news.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/da ... ancy-qs-01
KALAYA, Pakistan: Seven months after launching an air and ground offensive against the Taliban in Orakzai, Pakistani generals say the mountain district outside direct government control is “90 per cent” clear.

In other words, most of the job is done. Except that in June, the military announced that major combat operations were over even though clashes continued.

And the generals admit that despite their apparent success in ridding the area of insurgents, Taliban leaders have fled into neighbouring districts.
Since 5,000 troops launched the offensive on March 24, 67 soldiers and 654 militants have been killed, and 250 militants arrested, he said.

He gave no number of civilian casualties, but Riaz Masood, the administrator of Orakzai, said about 85 per cent of the estimated 220,000 people living in Lower Orakzai had fled the combat, mostly for the nearby towns of Hangu and Kohat.

He said that around 10,000 families have come back.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

Haqqani network members last week held talks with Turi leaders in Islamabad about striking a deal for access to Kurram.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

vic wrote:Re Shiv

Hi, I think that you should take permission from BR admins and run a topic under a possible heading "Stable Pakistan not in Indian interest" or "Only solution is dismemberment of Pakistan" etc. I think that topic requires serious consideration now! The reason i am requesting you to take this burdern is that you have written some of the best and articulate posts on this issue.

Second specialised topic that may be started is "Options for exit stragegy for USA from Afghanistan". I belive that it is Indian interest and Pakistan dis-interest that US leaves Afghanistan and then concentrates on dis-memberment of Pakistan as long term solution.

IMHO
Such a thread already exists
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=1&t=5038
Johann
BRF Oldie

Post by Johann »

Gagan wrote:Pakistan is already under invasion in every sense of the word.

The CIA is conducting drone strikes in areas difficult to reach for special forces, the areas that are deeper inside the border, and are well protected by a ring of taliban. There is 24x7 surveillence using drones, satellites, operatives on the ground. Telephones (mobile, land line, satellite phones) within Pakistan are tapped 24x7 with the NSA computers sniffing for certain keywords.
General Petraeus who specializes in special forces action is running the show. Special forces are deployed within Pakistan, they regularly conduct operations, assassinate Jihadis, kidnap the bad guys, supply info and materials to their operatives on the ground. There are even some afghan special forces deployed within Pakistan who can mix easily with the local pashtuns and carry out their job.
The USAF is conducting airstrikes within pakistan, Nato helicoptors supported by attack helos fly close to the border regions, the attack helos even attacked a few border outpost (which the pakistanis objected to) One supposes that it would have been OK if the helos had flown by and not attacked the army regulars.
These things are true if we are talking about the tribal areas adjoining E. Afghanistan where the Haqqanis, the Pakiban and the international brigade lurk.

But what about the Pashtun-majority provinces of Baluchistan that are key in the battle for the southern Afghanistan? The Taliban leadership is called the "Quetta Shura" for a reason.

Public discussion has focussed on the Khyber Pass while the real military confrontation, the insurgency, has centred on the Bolan Pass which is what the Taliban and the PA and Deobandi aid that sustained its expansion came boiling out of in 1994.

Pakistan's presence in the Tribal Areas has always been weak, so its not really that big a deal for them to permit the Americans to conduct this thoroughly open 'covert' programme of strikes, even if these occasionally level Frontier Corps positions.

Districts like Quetta, Zhob, Pishin, etc in Baluchistan deserve a great deal more love and attention. The Americans have used the threat of unilateral action there to get the Pakistanis to do more in terms of cooperating elsewhere. At some point they may feel compelled to make good on the threat, which will place a whole new level of strain on the US-Pakistani relationship. That is the point at which the PA will have to do more than just make symbolic protests.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

I thought the Mullah Barader epsiode showed Qutta Shura is the good Taliban for the US and TSP! Spychatterati were praising TSP for arresting Barader!