Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by hnair »

There is only a thin line separating from irrationally admiring pretty looking, well dressed soldiers and homo-eroticism. Red necks dont get that, when they laugh at gays in their own community and yet drool at clean cut US marines. That Marine Kernail in the movie "American Beauty" immediately comes to mind :D

VietCong chap crouching with the rifle that the Doc-saar has posted, I would not sleep if he is hunting me, whereas a TFTA US Marine, well, I can ward him off with a suit and a lawyer in London. Just ask Musharraf, who was the chief protector of Osama, the alleged target of these "badasses". TFTA western soldiers could do diddly squat about him, when he was right there in their midst as a civilian recently and he has a lot of their own kind's blood on his hands. Cant even show the finger at him let alone harm him!! Really tough situation they are not geared to deal with.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

one thing nato learned in bosnia is that average modern nato soldiers from developed countries have grown soft with their high standards of living. after a few weeks being cut off from their supplies in their camps by the serbs, they soon started to wilt and gave in to the intimidation. the serbs and other balkan folks were much more used to living off the land and in the woods and not squeamish at the sight of blood. some of those serb dudes looked very scary tfta types, but i think they also like to do their homo-erotic posturing
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

Bala Vignesh wrote:rohit sir,
If the stories are unclassified now, perhaps with the permission of the SF chap, you could share some of them here.
Just a humble request from a jingo who would love to see their stories told.
Yes please, I second that. If not anything, it will teach us a thing or two about the "real operations". And our respect will only increase manifold for the SF chaps. We don't need names, units or even place names. Just "X of Unit 1 was tasked with kicking pig a** in a big forest and....". That would be sufficient! :)
darshhan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshhan »

^^I there are any behind the lines ops that would be even better.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

Indian Army operates in a much more dense grid, so its nodes (units) can be relatively lightly equipped because they can rely on quick support/reinforcement from other nodes. The US Army is now essentially expeditionary in its nature and operates in a loose grid, so each one of its nodes must be necessarily self-sufficient. One trades strategic mobility for tactical mobility, another vice versa. It is a simple factor of political and economic considerations; in that context each decision makes good sense. Why make a big deal of it? No use putting down one in benefit of another.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

While on the badass topic ... 8)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Suresh S
BRFite

Post by Suresh S »

On the topic of looking cool with big muscles. Looks are very deceptive.

I recently read a article about the training of US army rangers and other special forces.
Many of these guys apparently look inconspicuos and physically not intimidating at first glance. The big badass guys are not the one,s finishing the training. It is the size of your heart (and brains )and not the size of your muscles that matter most.

The Korean grand master (9th dan in taekwon do )who runs a training school for kids near our house, if this guy is wearing his regular street clothes you may notice nothing unsual about him physically( matter of fact I did not immediately recognize him once ). But than of course he can kill a man if he wanted to in 2 minutes with his bare hands.

As someone said the bigger they are the faster they fall.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Just uploaded this picture

After uploading, I noticed the engine nozzles are of different diameters - so single engine landing?
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Wah wah! So much discussion on BadAss this and BadAss that.

I top all of Dr. Shiv's bad ass pictures with this one:

Now try to beat that!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

hnair wrote:There is only a thin line separating from irrationally admiring pretty looking, well dressed soldiers and homo-eroticism. Red necks dont get that, when they laugh at gays in their own community and yet drool at clean cut US marines. That Marine Kernail in the movie "American Beauty" immediately comes to mind :D
Good one! :lol: In fact you have exactly pinpointed my takleef with the way soldiers were being viewed by calling them badass or not.

There are well documented cultural differences in the way maleness and toughness is viewed just as there are cultural differences in the way beauty is seen and in the way men interact with each other or with women in different societies. Western society has its own set of mating rituals and "badass" is a western variant of mating display. I must add that appearing fierce and intimidating are part and parcel of policing and soldiering. But not necessarily an advantage in combat which is an important part of what soldiering is about. The clean shaven western TFTA male who has generally been a bigger specimen of human being than his SDRE counterparts has moved towards "bigness and muscle" in being considered badass, Smaller SDRE Indians in the past have relied on beards and facial hair to appear fierce. The YFSE (YellowFaceSlantEye) has liitle facial hair and is smaller built. Is it any wonder that he is the least TFTA looking and therefore least "badass" in western terms? He has to rely on facial expression alone to look fierce. Some tribes have used "make up" - facial paint to appear fierce, but facial paint on a male is not "badass" is it? But none of this has got anything to do with the ability to fight.

Did you see that photo of a smiling Yoginder Singh Yadav? Cherubic smile on a guy who kept killing Paquis after having several bullets pumped into him at 16,000 feet up on a mountain. And lived to tell the tale? Got a PVC for that. Badass? or not Badass?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Raja Bose wrote: Now try to beat that!
Badass!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

What the SDRE Yogender Singh Yadav did up there on the icy Kargil heights would put a hundred "badass" Arnold Shivajinagars to shame. He was part of a Ghatak platoon IIRC.
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

nachiket wrote:What the SDRE Yogender Singh Yadav did up there on the icy Kargil heights would put a hundred "badass" Arnold Shivajinagars to shame.
Or, as some silly comedy magazine would put it, "make Rambo look like a pu**y". :mrgreen:
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

Well since badass is the theme of the day. iv dug up some stuff from my paikhana :mrgreen:

(Apologies for posting video, but this just kinda suited the badass theme). Its a moving picture album of china military parade training. (apologies again if already posted)

deleted.
Last edited by Rahul M on 03 Nov 2010 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: is it that hard to read the thread title ?
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/yadav.html
The Badass of the Week.
Don know if this was posted.
His entire squad was eliminated in seconds. Yadav himself took three bullets – two in the shoulder and one in the ****** groin, which I bet hurt like a ******. However, somehow this just made him even more pissed, and he started climbing like ****** Nagano on Mount Midoriyama, racing up the last 60 feet of cliff face, willing his body to pull him up the ledge. Once he hoisted himself onto terra firma, he proceeded to charge the bunker, which was laying down a heavy barrage of rocket and large-caliber machinegun fire in his direction. Somehow, Yadav reached the enemy position, and chucked a grenade in, killing everyone inside and silencing the gunfire. At this point, a SECOND ****** pillbox opened up on the rest of the Indian soldiers now struggling to reach the top of the mountain. Yadav cracked his knuckles, jammed a new clip into his rifle, and sprinted towards the gun emplacement. He ran up, leaped into the Pakistani position, and came face-to-face with a four-man machinegun team.

Yadav took one look at these ****** and busted out some serious kung fu action, throwing his ice ax into one guy’s head, stabbing another dude in the throat, and finishing off the last two in serious Bruce Lee-style hand-to-hand combat. He was like ****** Steven Segal jacking up ****** who were unaware that this land belonged to the Eskimos. In the fighting, Yadav suffered severe injuries, including a broken arm that he probably got from punching a guy in the ****** face with enough force to crack a cinderblock. When the rest of the assault team finally reached him and prepared to evacuate his wounded ass to safety, Yadav simply whipped off his belt and used it to fashion a makeshift sling for his useless arm, grabbed his pistol in his off-hand, and probably said something along the lines of, “there’s still another bunker, you ******.” The platoon was so pumped up by this display of bravery and hardcore badassitude that they charged the third Pakistani position, guns blazing. The enemy hardpoint fell within minutes.
For his bravery on Tiger Hill, the Indian Army posthumously awarded the Param Vir Chakra (the highest award for bravery) to Yogender Singh Yadav. The problem is that Yadav actually lived through the battle. He received notification of his “posthumous” award from his hospital bed, as he was recovering from a broken arm, a broken leg, and somewhere between five and fifteen gunshot wounds to various parts of his body. Apparently, nobody that heard the story believed that he could have possibly survived, but nobody banked on the fact that he was the most hardcore ****** around.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

rohitvats wrote:Seems the urban legends about Spetznaz really refuse to die away............
TFTA "badass" Spetsnaz ( with SDRE type "scooter helmets" :oops: :oops: ) . Wonder where the "Badass" Ray-Bans and other super-duper gizmos are:

http://en.rian.ru/images/16107/59/161075988.jpg
Last edited by Rahul M on 03 Nov 2010 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link is enough for non-Indian pics.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

Sudip wrote:Well since badass is the theme of the day. iv dug up some stuff from my paikhana :mrgreen:

(Apologies for posting video, but this just kinda suited the badass theme). Its a moving picture album of china military parade training. (apologies again if already posted)
ahhhh.... my eyes burn whenever i see this "Robot" army drill. nothing badass about this army, its only a$$.

Instead watch beating retreat of Indian Army or US Army Drill Team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dxTBK7j ... re=related
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

Don't have to go 12000 km to see good drill. It's done here with perfection without any special drill teams trained from their birth and without the use of needles and barbed wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdreCpY6SGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnoiNdTQSnw
The only thing is that we don't capture the video for the sake of showcasing and editing out the one who walks in the middle with a Mao poster to make our forces look the badass robotic army.
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

Hello People I mean Bad Asses
LOL

do we have any bad ass pictures out of the recent exercise held with US Marines or Army
don't know if it was Yudh Abhyas or the other annual one ... one is with marines and the other with army

Did the US Defence department put up any high res pictures ?
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Coast Guard personnel are busy searching for people who are missing in the tragic boat accident in Hoogly river near Kolkata on Sunday. File Photo: Arunangsu Roy Chowdhury
Marut
BRFite

Post by Marut »

Jagan wrote:Just uploaded this picture

After uploading, I noticed the engine nozzles are of different diameters - so single engine landing?
I want to say the camera angle along with the shadow cast by the tail fin seems to be playing some trick. But then the nozzle on the right seems to be closed while the left one is 'opened' up...
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Jagan wrote:Just uploaded this picture

Jagan the rudder appears deflected to the left which would yaw the aircraft to the left. That may be required if thrust is asymmetric and causing a yaw to the right - which could mean the right engine is shut down. In the photo the left engine nozzle appears fully open. Is that the rest position? That would contradict the idea that the right engine is down. The right engine nozzle is smaller than the left one.

Answer? I don't know. The rudder position could be to compensate for cross wind and I would have thought that the pilot has throttled back by this stage - so maybe one engine has just about returned to idle and the other is about to get there?

Just guessing. I have no clue whatsoever.
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

KB708 coming in to land.

How do we know he is coming in to land? Could be takeoff as well. Though I wonder if its possible with one engine?
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

Khalsa wrote:do we have any bad ass pictures out of the recent exercise held with US Marines or Army
don't know if it was Yudh Abhyas or the other annual one ... one is with marines and the other with army

Did the US Defence department put up any high res pictures ?
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 50#p972550
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shiv wrote:the rudder appears deflected to the left which would yaw the aircraft to the left. That may be required if thrust is asymmetric and causing a yaw to the right - which could mean the right engine is shut down. In the photo the left engine nozzle appears fully open. Is that the rest position? That would contradict the idea that the right engine is down. The right engine nozzle is smaller than the left one.
Shiv, Good catch on the rudder - fully open nozzle is the standard landing position based on other pictures - so it fits in with the left rudder to compensate for the yaw. Fits in perfectly.
Aditya G wrote:KB708 coming in to land.

How do we know he is coming in to land? Could be takeoff as well. Though I wonder if its possible with one engine?
Normally I would guess that it would be an extremely risky and (And an avoidable one) for pilots to train on single engine take offs (assuming it is even possible). plus all take offs i have seen (Videos and photos) seem to show them using the afterburner - nozzles fully open - and afterburner flame clearly visible.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

the mig-29 can make non AB take-off or am I wrong on that ?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^If the AM Msanad article as well as stories from Cope India 2005 are anything to go by, MiG-29 can sure take-off with out AB....
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

rohitvats wrote:^^^If the AM Msanad article as well as stories from Cope India 2005 are anything to go by, MiG-29 can sure take-off with out AB....

Yeah I checked - they can take off without A/B. though the takeoff run doubles and nearly trebles without A/B ( 700m w/o AB compared to 250m with A/B)

All the more reason that a single engined non a/b takeoff is not going to happen..
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

A friend of mine in the unit which tok part just forwarded me the link on fb. Check out the pics....

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=+yudh+abhyas+2010
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

vaibhav.n wrote:A friend of mine in the unit which tok part just forwarded me the link on fb. Check out the pics....

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=+yudh+abhyas+2010
Is your friend serve in IA or US Army? I ask because I have some questions related to IA Parachute Regiment. Either way, can you tell us which units are taking part from US side?

Thanks.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

He is with the IA saar. Me dad was with the Para's onlee....will answer as best as i can. Otherwise can shuttle around for your queries too. My friend was in the AAD, opted for the paras. Will find out bout the US Units.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Looks like the following units took part:

1) 40th Cavalry Regiment,4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division
2) 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (California National Guard)
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

vaibhav, please check with your friend if he is ok with you posting the link here.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Rahul Saar, Will do so. Am i needed to pull out the post.
thanks
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Rahul M wrote:vaibhav, please check with your friend if he is ok with you posting the link here.
Rahul, its a public link on Flickr (The US. so it should not be a problem

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usarpac/

there is a link to them from the official USARPAC's press release as well
http://www.army.mil/-news/2010/11/05/47 ... hyas-2010/
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

vaibhav.n wrote:He is with the IA saar. Me dad was with the Para's onlee....will answer as best as i can. Otherwise can shuttle around for your queries too. My friend was in the AAD, opted for the paras. Will find out bout the US Units.
Thanks for the reply. I have posted my questions in the "Special Forces" thread as posting here would be OT.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 18#p974718

Added Later:
vaibhav.n wrote:Looks like the following units took part:

1) 40th Cavalry Regiment,4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division
2) 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (California National Guard)
Thanks for the answer. However, it seems that US Army Special Forces were also present. This is because 25 infantry division wear Maroon Berets. However, I also notice Green Berets during opening ceremony.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^US Army Special Forces - apart from Rangers Regiment - do not sport Maroon Beret. There is a reason main US Army SF Units is called Green Berets - these fellows wear Green Berets. Their official name is US Army Special Forces Regiment.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

rohitvats wrote:^^^US Army Special Forces - apart from Rangers Regiment - do not sport Maroon Beret. There is a reason main US Army SF Units is called Green Berets - these fellows wear Green Berets. Their official name is US Army Special Forces Regiment.
^^Slight nitpick - US Army Rangers are one of several US Special Operations forces (under ARSOC) but not US Army Special Forces.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

rohitvats wrote:^^^US Army Special Forces - apart from Rangers Regiment - do not sport Maroon Beret. There is a reason main US Army SF Units is called Green Berets - these fellows wear Green Berets. Their official name is US Army Special Forces Regiment.
Yes, that is what I was saying. :) In the opening ceremony pictures, one could spot both maroon and green berets.
So, US Army Special Forces were also seemingly present, besides 25 Infantry Division's airborne unit and California National Guards.
vdutta
BRFite

Post by vdutta »

An Indian Marine commando stands on the tarmac of a helicopter landing zone used by U.S. President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama upon their arrival in Mumbai November 6, 2010.