C-17s for the IAF?

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Re: C-17s for the IAF?

Post by Pratyush »

LM

A hat tip from me.
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

AoA.. 99 pages

Time to lock this thread,
we can start all over IL76- C17- An-124- An225 :mrgreen:
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Philip wrote:A few facts.....

....WE obtained IL-78 tankers not too long ago,plus 3 IL-78s for the Phalcon AWACS,so the argument that these cannot be obtained is fallacious! In fact Pak is also planning to get IL-78s from Ukraine ....
The IL-76/78 airframes that were sold post 2000 were all built airframes that were lying stored at TAPO, Uzbekistan. TAPO has not built new airframes. Only now the production is shifting to Russia due to collapse of An-70 production.

IL-76 is a superb aircraft and has served us well, but frankly we do not have anybody from the air force swearing by it - at least publicly. I quoted Air Marshal Goel earlier, who states very heavy lift as an "urgent" requirement. Given the A330 MRTT and embraer decision it seems that the service is against it! Question is why? Do we know the full story? For all we know half the fleet is already grounded (*hypothetical example*) and hence IAF doesnt anything more to do with it.

Pakistani examples are second hand. Am sure we can buy as well - but is it the long term solution? In past we have bought second hand Iskras, Mi-25/35s, MiG-21s, MiG-23UM - not sure we can replicate to military transport due to demanding requirements.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /il-76.htm

In particular, for a year and a half was delayed assembly of three Il-76MD-90 for the manufacture on the basis of their long-range radar detection aircraft A-50EI for India. Only in January 2008 (instead of summer 2006), the first of three cars went to Israel to install its Phalcon radar and onward transmission to the Indian Air Force.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Rupesh wrote:AoA.. 99 pages

Time to lock this thread,
we can start all over IL76- C17- An-124- An225 :mrgreen:
Don't forget the A-380F (with the new non-self-destructing RR engines) due to come on stream sometime during the next decade
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Pratyush wrote:Amit,

I case the lal and white chiks are in short supply. Are you open to the Idea of leasing them in times of need :D .

If yes, then what would your terms be.
Forgive me but I have to ask: dry or wet lease?