Two-G (2G) Spectrum Scam Tapes and follow-up

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Re: Two-G (2G) Spectrum Scam Tapes and follow-up

Post by ramana »

What if the legal team muffed up so MMS gets SC censure. Who is Law Minister?

Kanwal Sibal?
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

ramana wrote:What if the legal team muffed up so MMS gets SC censure. Who is Law Minister?

Kanwal Sibal?
I think its Moily
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

Ha our man Chidambram swallowed Indian Bank along with his guru Moopnaar (Mooolah Naar?).
Now Raja Hurtz/Hertz at 2 Giga Level.
Blind man of TN ruling,
Jagan (naath) ka Haath looting AP Mines, Yes he says everthing is "mine"!

Maharshtra Chavanyana Praasha thandrusthi our sampada samvrudhi kartha hai....

St. Kalmadi must be playing billiards... with hallow ring on top of his head...

Ex Chiefs must be highly relieved having reached Towering Glory of ati visishat (kar) seva to Kargil heroes...

ware wah mera Hindustan
Aaadarsh Praya hai...
Last edited by ShivaS on 19 Nov 2010 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

I wonder whether there's a link between these tapes and AIADMK's recent offer.

This came out on Nov 13 just before this scam blew open.
Commenting on the 2G spectrum scam surrounding Information Technology and Communication Minister A. Raja , Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh has said it would not be proper to comment on the issue when Parliament is in session, and added that it is for the Congress high command to take note of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) chief J Jayalalithaa's offer.

On Wednesday, Jayalalithaa had said that if the Congress sacks Raja, she is ready to offer her support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) coalition.

Raja, according to the AIADMK chief, has committed the mother of all scams, and therefore, he needs to be dismissed.

The Prime Minister, who returned to India from the G-20 summit in South Korea, late night on Friday told reporters on board Air India One: "Parliament is in session. It is not proper for me to comment on a subject which is also probably in the court."

"This is a subject I am hearing for the first time. It is for the Congress high command to take note of it. I don't know what Dr Jayalalithaa has offered," he added.

Dr Singh, however, said: "We are in alliance with DMK and that alliance stands as of now." {I found the unnecessary use of this phrase quite interesting, meaning the PM could have just kept it at we are in alliance with DMK FULL STOP, instead of adding the wiggle}
If I'm not mistaken there's a good chance the DMK may lose in Tamil Nadu in May 2011. And usually when there's a change in parties in that state it's a clean sweep.
Last edited by amit on 19 Nov 2010 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

This has P Chidambaram written all over it. PC is taking Maino-Manmohan team to the cleaners.

They must be ruing the day they let him in the home ministry.
Doubtful considering the hatchet jobs he has done for the family.

But if he did then - thank god for small mercies

The stench is overpowering but for the first time the shameless journos are being exposed.

Can anyone believe anything written by well known journalists after this??
milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

Barkha is furious that her integrity is questioned :rotfl: :rotfl:
Similar to Pakis being furious on violation of so-virginity...
@bdutt 's reply on twitter
@bhavikgoradia :-) thanks. I should have and could have ignored it but furious to have my integrity questioned
about 4 hours ago via web in reply to bhavikgoradia
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

^^ Karma is a b*tch. :lol:

Seeing these so called respected journalists squirm is hilarious. Now I really want to know who was responsible for leaking the phonetaps!
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

Cong is written all over it....They have gone after DMK,anil,sunil mittal & amar singh.

None of cong politician's are being taped. This is right from the book of Indira Gandhi &
what she did with people who oppose her..Soon we will hear name of pawar & his side kick.
arjunm
BRFite

Post by arjunm »

In this NDTV show anchored by Barkha Dutta, Subramanyam Swami mocked Congress spokes person Jayanti Natarajan and told her to go back to College to learn about Constitutional Law.

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the-bu ... re/2g-scam
Last edited by arjunm on 19 Nov 2010 13:26, edited 2 times in total.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sigh I am depressed - once again I wonder whether i should take to drinking

whats the point of all the efforts of the services and all the arms try to defend the country when at the highest level they are like this
milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

Congress Dalal Barkha is not a fixer, she was just working the sources
BARKHA: No, I’ll set it up as soon as they get out of RCR.
:rotfl:
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Last edited by RoyG on 19 Nov 2010 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

Barkha will regret the day she decided to be journo....She will get halal well before any politician...
Now it is her time to understand what happens when you get too close to congress. You get freaking burn.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

amdavadi wrote:Cong is written all over it....They have gone after DMK,anil,sunil mittal & amar singh.

None of cong politician's are being taped. This is right from the book of Indira Gandhi &
what she did with people who oppose her..Soon we will hear name of pawar & his side kick.
Yeah that is one possibility. However, congress indirectly seems to be sinking further into the quicksand as a result of these tapes as well. I wonder how far this thing is going to go...hope Barkha and Vir release some tapes of their own. Would love to see an enlargement of this fragfest.
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

..and the NEWS on all the channels and newspapers about 2G spectrum is focussed on Raja. Who can a ordinary Indian trust and believe.
and then we fire a petty bus conductor for a scam of Rs 15.
The cynical me says that as always, they will arrest few foot soldiers for few days with lot of Hungama , PM will read out a statement and then some case will go on and on for 100000 Years and we will move onto bigger scams.
After all how many big fishes have been punished till now in all the scams put together ?
shravan
BRF Oldie

Post by shravan »

ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

Surya wrote:Sigh I am depressed - once again I wonder whether i should take to drinking

whats the point of all the efforts of the services and all the arms try to defend the country when at the highest level they are like this
Dont. I am too depressed when I read Indian History and its repeating all over.

The cofers of Govt of India are full to the brim to indulge in this massive corruption because of the hard work middle class, lower middle class and the poor labor (indentured in GULF) sending money back to home... that in itself generates demands for cell phones, motor cycles apartments and that in itself promotes the powers be.
IT s the fault of NRIs to make India rich. Just like make a Nono and verybody driving will increase pollution, parking space, congestion....

Its sad sad sad country... everybody wants to catch up with Jones ethical or other wise.

I am honestly corrupt and I stop at stealing occasional pencil or ball point pen from office..

Had I beeen working hard on this klepto skills instead of being engineer I would have been Raja of Raja :mrgreen:
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

Sanku wrote:This has P Chidambaram written all over it. PC is taking Maino-Manmohan team to the cleaners.

Maybe it is the other way around. After providing a signal to the allies to keep low and make no noise, somebody needs to be be offered as a balidaan to prove the clean image of the family. Thus, the highest court of the land, the presstituting mediamen and women close to the GoI, the alleged "congress' friends" Dilli-4 of the BJP are targeting only two people Raja and MMS. So is it time for him to be asked to drop out? Digvijay Singh or Shivraj Patil can hang in there as the next candidate.

PM under pressure over telecom scam
Surya wrote:Sigh I am depressed - once again I wonder whether i should take to drinking
As per usual logic, there is supposed to Chankyan lining in every dark cloud. Because the Raja offered spectrum at lowest rate to his buddies, call charges are at the lowest and the praja are accessing tele-phony services at less than 50 paise per minute. Quite a change from the " book a 3 minute trunk call" days, where the operator would beep after 3 minutes to confirm if you wanted to continue your conversation! Now 3g has been sold at "fair" prices, but given the high rates, the services could be priced high. Imagine if the Raja and his friends had sold 3g in a similar way to 2g, video calls would be 50 paise per minute. So as per Chankyan theory, all is well with 2g. :)

Meanwhile,Raja helped RComm get into GSM biz
Last edited by AjayKK on 19 Nov 2010 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

OK folks
I agree with RM

I have seen following stickers on cars scooters, motor cycles... in Hyderabad, Chennai, Delhi, Karnataka and Mumbai

Army
Air Force
Navy
Police
Doctor
Press
Judicaiary
Judge
Lawyer
Goverment Of India duty
On Goverment Duty
TN Government, AP Government, etc
Now I want o Add to my car rear mirror , and Tags (name plates)

RAW

do you think I will be in trouble or the traffic police will salute me?

(if I am stopped and asked what RAW means, its Running Around Workless"
Vikas
BRF Oldie

Post by Vikas »

I think in the end, we all will blame Congress govt and MMS for this mess.
It won't land on Pawar or Raja or Kalmadi's door but Congress despite all the skulduggery by the govt.
What use is of integrity and uprightness of MMS if his cabinet colleagues can loot India right under his nose.If this is not incompetence what else is ?
We can sit here and blame Sonia and Rahul and MK and everyone under the sun but fact remains, Mr. MMS took over the govt as PM and under the principle of collective responsibility, he must share the blame of being called the fountainhead of corruption. Why should PM be treated with velvet gloves ?
rkirankr
BRFite

Post by rkirankr »

Well MMS is truly in a fix. He was expected to go after the May 2009 elections . Probably make way for prince. He wouldn't. Was growing a bit too big. So now expect the Prince riding on a white stallion to save matha er Bharat Matha.
Not that I support MMS. But it is 1.5 years after the elections and the man refuses to go.

Suryaji and Shivasji, do not worry or be depressed. The prince is here to save us. As a song in a popular kannada film goes "Naaniruvude nimagaagi, kanneer eke...." (Iam there for you, so why tears in your eyes)
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Why treat MMS with velvet gloves? Because the alternatives like Sonia and Rahul would be worse. At least MMS is a qualified person.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

I like the word accidented
Along with Truthiness of Steven Cobert this should become standard lexicon in English, RM you go man invent some more :mrgreen:

It almost sounds like Fender Bender of Futuroma comic series..
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

Attorney General Vahanvati will now represent the PM in supreme Court. Gopal Subramaniam is removed (barely 8 hrs after he boasted about doing a good job for the Govt/PM)
amdavadi
BRFite

Post by amdavadi »

soon PM will be in hospital due to long schedule knee surgery....that will be the news put out by cong to their butt
buddy in media.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

geeth wrote:Attorney General Vahanvati will now represent the PM in supreme Court. Gopal Subramaniam is removed (barely 8 hrs after he boasted about doing a good job for the Govt/PM)
Bingo!

"No Good shall go unpunished" :mrgreen:
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

>>>I like the word accidented

Like the word 'reducted' - from a classmate who was trying to memorise words from dictionary for his GRE
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Surya wrote:
This has P Chidambaram written all over it. PC is taking Maino-Manmohan team to the cleaners.

Doubtful considering the hatchet jobs he has done for the family.

But if he did then - thank god for small mercies

The stench is overpowering but for the first time the shameless journos are being exposed.

Can anyone believe anything written by well known journalists after this??

Sorry naive dumb questions:

Why does PC want to take the family to the cleaners?
What is the relation of Karunanidhi, Azhagiri, Alagiri, Raja? I guess they are family, but what is the exact relation?
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

What is the relation of Karunanidhi, Azhagiri, Alagiri, Raja? I guess they are family, but what is the exact relation?
Karunanidhi (Father) --> Azhagiri (No. 1 Son of Karunanidhi) changed name to Alagiri
|
|
Raja (Unoffical Son In Law of Karunanidhi)
Last edited by rajkumar on 19 Nov 2010 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Vril
BRFite

Post by Vril »

History of Radia from Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nira_Radia

from the link:
Nira Radia's father, who converted to Islam and was rechristened Iqbal Menon, was an agent for Westland Helicopters in East Africa, and soon started an aircraft charter business in the UK.
British citizen
:eek:
Nira Radia's company, Crown Express, made an audacious bid in 2000 to launch an airline.
Nira Radia, through her criminal guile, had begun to impress the Tata bosses, notably Ratan Tata and R. K. Krishna Kumar, who was then the head of Tata Tea, and became her rakhi brother.
Nira Radia's strategy to attack corporate competitors is two-fold - It is about planting stories in the media to gullible or voluntary journalists, forging alliances, creating investor groups, setting up NGOs, threatening media bosses, and taking on the competition. It could be mythical lore but Nira Radia is now credited with fixing Tata Finance in 2001 when she paraded its disgraced boss, Dilip Pendse, to the media; getting the NDA government to allow Tatas to sell 26 per cent stake of VSNL; killing the DLF IPO; setting up NGOs to stall DLFs mall projects; filing PILs to hurt rivals; unleashing a media war in the Ambani vs Ambani gas case; and getting media owners in West Bengal to sing praises of its chief minister and industries minister during the Singur imbroglio.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Tanaji wrote:Sorry naive dumb questions:

Why does PC want to take the family to the cleaners?
Rumor (seen on politicsparty.com) is that PC is RSS man. Therefore he would sabotage as necessary. Although if this was true, why now and not closer to elections?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Vera,

If he was an RSS man. He would not get home let alone any other ministry in the Govt. These things will be known in politicle circles. However care fully hidden by the players.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

rajkumar wrote:
Karunanidhi (Father) --> Azhagiri (No. 1 Son of Karunanidhi) changed name to Alagiri
|
|
Raja (Unoffical Son In Law of Karunanidhi)
Thanks. Why "unofficial"? Is it a live in relationship?

Pratyush, that is an interesting theory, but his actions don't tie with that theory.
nkumar
BRFite

Post by nkumar »

More updates:

Radia serves legal notice on Pioneer
The notice asserts that The Pioneer’s report regarding corruption and manipulation in the allotment of 2G spectrum to telecom operators, in so far as it referred to Ms Radia’s connections with Telecom Minister A Raja, are “absolutely false, baseless and malicious and constitute gross defamation” of Mr Chowdhury’s clients.
Demanding that all this be executed within 24 hours, the notice warns that “on your failure to comply with the aforesaid requisitions, my Clients shall be compelled to take stringent and appropriate legal action against you, which may be in the nature of civil action or criminal prosecution or both including damages towards defaming my clients’ reputation.”
Editor’s Note: The Pioneer stands by its story, which has now been widely followed up in the rest of the media and continues to rock Parliament with mounting demands for the Telecom Minister’s resignation. The Pioneer reserves its right to suitably reply to this legal notice at the appropriate time and forum.

From http://twitter.com/Openthemag
"I met Raja today. He is a happy man" --NIIRA RADIA (from the Radia-Tata tapes) http://tinyurl.com/2dvxndb

"Tell Sunil Mittal you have to work with Raja for five years" --A. RAJA (the A. Raja tapes) http://tinyurl.com/25lh6wa

"What kind of story do you want?" --VIR SANGHVI (the Vir Sanghvi tapes and transcripts) http://tinyurl.com/395nbzo

"Tell me what should I tell them [Congress]" --BARKHA DUTT (the Barkha Dutt tapes) http://tinyurl.com/2bw4hj8

Open Mag editor Manu Joseph's sms to Barkha was distorted and used by NDTV as his statement. His response soon once traffic on website eases

From http://twitter.com/autumnshade
Aroon Purie vetoed India Today cover story on Radia tapes as Tata Group stopped ads to Headlines Today when tapes first surfaced in TV story
Some other quotes:
Mukesh Ambani: "Yaar, Congress to apni dukaan hai"
http://bit.ly/awSf17
ajit_tr
BRFite

Post by ajit_tr »

The Power Tapes

The other big 'national resource' story involves the virtual who's who: Ambani V/s Ambani V/s Tata, gas and power sector war involving big name journos, politicians, babus, corporates

While the Spectrum scam tapes have been talked about, what has not received adequate notice so far is the lobbying and controversy surrounding the division of gas between the Ambani brothers. The conversations in this set seemingly include journalists Vir Sanghvi of the Hindustan Times; Prabhu Chawla of the India Today group; and G. Ganapathy Subramaniam and M.K. Venu of the Economic Times...

While we are yet to fully absorb and understand the various intricacies and ramifications of the very many conversations on record, it is eerie how casually a discussion, for example, about the battle for power sector involving Tatas and Reliance in Maharashtra segues into instigating the likes of Shiv Sena and other groups like the MNS and how easily corporates play and manoeuvre the "protests" by goon-gangs of political outfits to further their ends.

Also, how easy it seems for these power-brokers to casually fix not just politicians -- e.g. Venkaiah Naidu of the BJP here is mentioned as amenable to persuasion, as against Arun Shourie, for example -- but also, in their narration, the higher judiciary.

Some of the abbreviations:

MM is Manoj Modi
Ganu is G. Ganapathy Subramaniam of the ET
Vinu is M.K. Venu, then of the ET

Teaser of the recordings
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 143207.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 202201.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 212356.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 171110.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 204412.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 094637.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 203122.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 115021.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 212821.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 154248.wav ([Discussing a BJP revolt and LK Advani coterie with Navika Kumar of Times Now, telling her not to pass on info to Arun Jaitley])
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 115530.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 110522.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 115849.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 230847.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 210922.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 154646.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 101652.wav
http://business.outlookindia.com/view.a ... 092341.wav

dozens more tapes at links below

"Quotes Mukesh Ambani: ‘Haan yaar, you know Ranjan, you’re right, ab to Congress apni dukaan hai (now the Congress is our shop).’"
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

nkumar wrote: Mukesh Ambani: "Yaar, Congress to apni dukaan hai"
http://bit.ly/awSf17
Which is what I kept saying they had opened a shop, and *all* telecom companies lined up. No one is innocent in this drama, not even the holier than thou Tatas. The scope is apparent given that 125 circles are controversial.

TRAI is now trying to revoke licenses in some circles, and trying to appear as if it is doing something. A bit late for that, where was it when it mattered, given that its a regulator.

This scam will come to naught. There are far too many people involved, from politicos, bureaucrats, press to big industrialists. What is the incentive for anyone to ensure punishment? It is mil baat ke khayenge .
geeth
BRFite

Post by geeth »

Latest: Vahanvati, selected to represent PM in court appears to have given opinion in favour of Raja, which was contradictory to that given by Law Ministry.

Subramaniam Swamy is having a good time in TV - He is calling Manish Tiwari (Spokesman of Kangress) a "Moorkh" and what not!

Oh God! I am getting back to the 'feel good' mode first time after the last Parliament elections
rajkumar
BRFite

Post by rajkumar »

Tanaji wrote:Thanks. Why "unofficial"? Is it a live in relationship?
Most published sources seem to indicate that Raja has a live in relationshiop with Karunadhi's daughther Kanimozhi. My personal view is that A Raja is the 'bag man' and nothing more. The money went to AICC and DMK with some going to IAS babus etc.

The main impact is the revenue loss to the GoI.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

[del]
Last edited by ShyamSP on 19 Nov 2010 14:39, edited 1 time in total.