Indo-UK: News & Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
sunnyP
BRFite

Re: Indo-UK: News & Discussion

Post by sunnyP »

The UK defence secretary:

7. (C/NF) Turning to India, Fox criticized the Labour government for policies which reinforce the Indian government's long-held view that HMG's foreign relations on the subcontinent are "skewed to Pakistan." Fox predicted this would not be a factor under a Conservative government, since the Conservatives are "less dependent" than the Labour Party on votes from the British-Pakistani community.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/us-emba ... nts/239153
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Tories say: 'we don't depend on Pakistani votes'
:twisted:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ealed.html
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

However, the British got alarmist even before India and Pakistan could begin discussing the modalities of their cooperation. They agreed with the rest of the world for quick, credible action by GoP. But among the U.K.'s fears were “increased [where there was none] proxy action” by India in Balochistan and aerial attacks on Lashkar-e-Taiba training camps in the Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK). The cables later reveal that the large PoK-origin population had coloured British views.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article929917.ece

Thanks to wikileaks now we know the official line of GoUK is to worry about the welfare of the terrorists rather than support those nations that want to punish the terrorists
Anindya
BRFite

Post by Anindya »

Thanks to wikileaks now we know the official line of GoUK is to worry about the welfare of the terrorists rather than support those nations that want to punish the terrorists
Actually wikileaks, military aid generosity, Bob Woodward's book, post terrorism behaviour of US/UK reveal that both US/UK run a protection racket for Pakistani terrorism against India.

UK does it b'cos its Pakistani voters have deep yearnings for terrorism against India - the US does it for poorly understood geopolitical goals, which has essentially undermined some of its own visible power across the globe.

The resistance to Pakistanis within UK is beginning - although, it will take the form of extreme right-wing leanings in the form of many European countries over the next 5-7 years.

In the case of US, its hard to win when our own leaders seem to be negotiating through Kerry to dilute our interests in Kashmir and IWT, in return for a decrease of terrorism from Pakistan - essentially, we seem to be negotiating our own cave-in.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Gori Echendee is waning

L ET T E R F R O M L O N D O N

Bad losers, worse learners

S U D ES H N A S E N

I’M PLANNING to get environmentally-friendly and recycle my columns. Sigh. This week, if you happened to live in this part of the world, the main topics of conversation are the snow, the eurozone, Wikileaks and football. All of which is so mindlessly repetitive, I have to really tweak my creativity to find a newish angle.

The snow, first. We happen to be stuck in freezing weather, again. Scotland is virtually shut down, half the big airports are closed and media is running out of tags: we’ve done the big freeze, we’ve done arctic blasts. Every single year, we have a week or three off when the entire country pretty much goes into paralysis because of some completely peculiar reason, unlike other cold countries, Britain just doesn’t seem to be geared for snow.

Trains stop working, airports stop working, roads are clogged and loads of people die of exposure, etc etc. You know the natural disaster routine, but yes, it happens here every year with depressing regularity. At last estimate on the media, albeit a bit flaky, the economic damage is about £250 million a day.

At least I don’t live in Scotland. Someone I know from Scotland called me the other day and grumbled about how those of us in Central London are privileged since, well, London’s south, and it ain’t that cold. We only hit –4 or so in the day, not –20. Ain’t crippling, just inconvenient. (Okay, I’ve localised.)

Since the euro stuff bores me literally to tears, I’ll skip to football, a subject I know absolutely nothing about. However, if you live in England, you cannot have avoided the media blitz of the past few days.

First, the facts. England, led by the high-profile team of David Cameron, David Beckham and Prince William, went off to Zurich to make England’s bid for the Fifa World Cup football, 2018. Huge amounts of publicity and gung-ho before, huge amounts of sulk and backlash after they lost, really badly.

As one media commentator had to admit, the Brits are really bad losers. (They sent a prime minister, a future king and, more imp, David Beckham. Fifa didn’t care — shock and awe! It isn’t so much about losing the bid but about such a high-profile team being absolutely snubbed.)

Russia gets to host 2018 World Cup, and Qatar gets 2022. The bid, which cost us taxpayers close to £15 million, wasn’t only thrown out, it got an embarrassing two (or one) votes. The ostensible reason: UK media has just last week been running a series of exposes about corruption in Fifa votes going back to the 1990s, mostly aimed at the members from African nations. Russian premier Vladimir Putin refused to show up in Zurich, claiming that English media’s alleged exposés was a pressure tactic to decide the vote.

I wouldn’t think it’s coordinated — England ain’t a mafia state; forget wellrun — but my guess would be the silly Brit media thought that world opinion would conform to their sting ops like welfare voters in St Mary Mead. What the Brits don’t get, and never will, is that this rabid tabloid culture is very well at home when they’re ramming their own MPs. The minute they point lots of fingers at blacks, Asians, and so on, it begins to annoy the rest of the world.

The empire is over, people. If you listened to the coverage of the result of the bids, it’s mostly sulky, sour grapes. And these are alleged world standard-setting media outlets, which I pay taxes for. Sigh again.

Which brings me back to Vladimir Putin. I like that man. He’s arrogant. He’s impossible. He’s bloody-minded. He’s hugely spunky. He may, or may not, be Dr Evil, I dunno, but hey, he’s also kept Russia on generally more or less even keel through the global recession, despite huge domestic and trade problems.

He’s equally abrasive about Wikileaks putting out docs saying America thinks Russia is a mafia state as he is about the Fifa World Cup football. If I remember anything right, yes, it probably is a mafia state. (What’s the difference from a communist state? Lived in both, in USSR and Russia proper. For an average person, both seemed awfully similar.)

Still, I also love Wikileaks, simply because it annoys so many diplomats and politicians all over the world, especially the usually holier-than-thou Americans. I think Julian Assange, founder of Wikileaks, should be given honorary citizenship for half-a-dozen countries, including ours.

Currently, he’s supposed to be hiding out somewhere in UK (I dunno where), because Sweden wants to extradite him for some sex crimes he claims are rubbish. Umm, last I heard, Americans don’t ever extradite their citizens for anything, including the Bhopal gas tragedy chief, or writers who fall foul of libel laws in UK. That’s usually. I wonder what Sweden’s quid pro quo for toeing the Americans’ line is?

ET 6th Dec 2010
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ she shouldnt ignore the euro, there is some serious stuff going on there - including the scenario where the eurozone breaks up. this would create a great deal of political and economic turmoil which could have adverse implications for india, e.g. further lock in of chinese money into some european markets and the influence that will buy. the glass half full view would be that india might be able to snap up a few good deals too...

either way, it is far more important a topic than FIFA - not picking England is entirely rational. UK is already hosting the Olympics and CWG and is a well established football market. Russia is an up coming football market with strong pedigree and makes a refreshing change from the usual venues - and Russia needs a coming out party

the choice of Qatar is odd, its a small country where all the locals go to Europe during July to escape the 50C temperature. Air conditioning the stadiums is a very un-green thing to do... i am sure there is more to it than that
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

>>the choice of Qatar is odd, its a small country where all the locals go to Europe during July to escape the 50C temperature. Air conditioning the stadiums is a very un-green thing to do... i am sure there is more to it than that

Not odd at all. I would have bet on it if I knew how :D ... they ran a VERY focused campaign, threw a ton of money at it and them. Rolled out the slick speakers, including a few ruling Al Thani family shaikhs for good measure - the young chappie who made the acceptance speech was gracious and well spoken, with an Ameropean accent that can come only with education in both continents. Looking on benignly was the ruler's wife Shaikha Mozzah, the epitome of the modernized (and modernizing) Gulf lady, regal and mildly disdainful of the proceedings - the Brits can't do that anymore, their royals appear more grasping and pinched for money, even desperate. Plus the tiny state of Qatar, with a local population of about 200,000 or so, sits on the world's largest gas reserves after Russia and Iran. You were saying money? I'm pretty sure you won't hear or notice any stories about whether the World Cup turned a profit for the host state or not - before or after the fact. And you can bet your ass that the stadia will be top of the effing line - in every sense of the word; architects will go nuts bringing out the greenest, largest, swankiest, glassiest, viewable from the moon type of structures you can imagine. And guess what, it's a short flight from many many football mad Arab and Asian countries, and not that far from Europe either. They won't have to catch flights from one stadium to the other, no worries about separate hotel bookings, bla bla bla - you get the drift. And Qatar will fling container-loads of cash at the global advertising agencies. Spots should start hitting the airwaves in a few months knowing these guys!!! You were saying London?

Someone forgot to mention to the British that FIFA is very much against awarding host status to those who have already hosted a World Cup. Or they did so, by word of mouth. Apparently, that word didn't go far - else how would the British bidders have gotten so many travel junkets to support their campaign. It's not only our netas, babus and others who have the travel bug you know. They learned it from somewhere :D

And by the way, FIFA officials are as clean as referee's whistles :mrgreen: so the fact that Qatar has so much disposable income and none of the nagging media inquisitors had nothing to do with the award.

If the world cup is between June/September climate controlled stadiums are guaranteed.... It can get, ummm, pretty warm on the peninsula.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

well the british royals are part of the state marketing machine, they have no other role as such
the bid would have likely have been a media corporate idea with the 'collusion' of the state - purely for financial purposes.

as for qatar, i do know the country reasonably well and have been there several times. i dont doubt the money they will throw at it, nor the facilities - they are aiming to be the sporting hub for the gulf states. therefore, it makes sense if the playing venues are distributed say over bahrain, abu dhabi, dubai and doha as a GCC world cup

will be interested to see more details of how they are going to do it
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Poor Britain,it deserved at least one of the two WC bids.It is also a sign of Britain losing its stature internationally.It should've bid for the later event.It was a mistake for FIFA to have two bids at one go,preventing a loser from bidding for the next WC.We'll have to wait for more Wikileaks to tell us how Qatar won the WC bid! I'm sure there's more than meets the eye here.I think it is the most absurd award for in WC history.Notwithstanding Qatar's wealth due to giant gas fields,the WC held in different countries is spread out over the winning nation,preferably in countries with a strong footballing tradition,venerable club stadia that make the event historic and memorable.The WC is being reduced to the equiv. of a 20-20 tournament,not something truly special.I can understand wanting to spread the game worldwide,venen if it was awarded to the whole UAE shared by Dubai,Sharjah,Abu Dhabi,etc.,but awarding it solely to a pinprick on the map like Qatar is ridiculous,even if they can come up with successful Air-con stadia!

Russia winning is a far better decision,as Russia has produced great footballers in the past like Lev Yashin and has great citries to host the event like Moscow ,St.Peteresburg,etc.It is also hosting the next Winter Olympics too.The WC loses a lot of its grandeur if it is turfed out to lesser nations wh have little footballing history.More's the pity.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Philip,

Qatar and the other Gulf nations are football mad, and they have built up a pretty good league system from scratch. Not that I watch the stuff. Prefer cricket.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Qatar stadia visualisation

all very nice, will have more capacity in the stadia than number of citizens in the country... possibly including total population!

one wonders what they will do with the capacity post world cup...?

[build it and they will come...]
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Another alleged Russian "honeytrap"spy scandal,this time involving a British MP's aide.

'She was the best person for the job': MP caught in alleged honeytrap defends decision to employ blonde Russian 'spy'
By James Slack and Charlotte Gill
A womanising MP who employed a suspected Russian spy has defended giving her a job and insisted: 'I'm not naive.'
Liberal Democrat Mike Hancock, 64, who sits on the defence committee, was introduced to Katia Zatuliveter on one of his regular visits to the Eastern Bloc superpower.
He employed the 25-year-old blonde as a parliamentary assistant - handing her at least three years' access to official documents on defence policy.
The Lib Dem MP, who sits on the defence committee, was introduced to Katia Zatuliveter on one of his regular visits to Russia

The Portsmouth South MP, whose constituency is home to a Royal Navy base, said today: 'There were no dodgy deals, no favours and no shortcuts. I'm not naive'

But she now faces deportation after being detanied and questioned by officers at intelligence service MI5 on suspicion of espionage.
The Portsmouth South MP, whose constituency is home to a Royal Navy base, said Miss Zatuliveter passed a two month security check.
Speaking from his home in Portchester, he said: 'There were no dodgy deals, no favours and no shortcuts. I'm not naive.
Mike Hancock leaves his home this morning. The MP has defended his decision to hire Russian Katia Zatuliveter
'The Russians may pose a threat to national security but if you believe what the security services tell you, everybody could pose a threat these days.
'Katia came with references and was the best person for the job. She was security checked and it took about two months for her House of Commons' pass to come through.
'I have employed an American girl before and her dad was a Congressman. Her pass took the same amount of time to come through.
'There could be Russian spies in Parliament but I don't know of any. You'd have to ask MI5 for details.'
He added: 'If Parliament and MPs could only employ British nationals the catering service, for one, would suffer because they rely heavily on foreign staff.'
Miss Zatuliveter held a working visa and has a right to appeal her deportation.
Her role meant she had at least three years' access to official documents on defence policy.
Mr Hancock has also asked dozens of questions about nuclear weapons and other hugely sensitive defence topics to the point where responses by ministers were vetted by the security services.
Among them, he asked for the locations of berths for submarines, a request to publish an inventory of the country’s nuclear arsenal and when the next design review of the Trident warhead will take place.
Now, following the intervention of MI5, his glamorous aide is facing deportation on the grounds that her suspected espionage is not ‘conducive to national security’.
Yesterday it emerged that:
■ The suspected spy’s father and sister are both recruiting Russian students to come to Britain.
■ She almost won a post with a large UK defence organisation until British security officials warned the firm off.
■ MPs expressed alarm that she had got her job in the first place and appeared to have sidestepped vetting checks.
■ Security sources fear at least 20 similar spies could be working in Britain under false identities.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z17QIVLmSD
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Lalmohan wrote:
one wonders what they will do with the capacity post world cup...?

All the stadiums except 1 or 2, will be dismantled and re-constructed in developing countries, mostly in Africa. :)
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.economist.com/blogs/asiaview ... anasiindia

Didn't know where to post this, but, yellow journalism at it's best...
There had been no attacks since then and intelligence officials say the group has been largely dismantled. Whoever sent the e-mail on behalf of the IM claimed that the bomb in Varanasi was meant as retaliation for a court ruling over a controversial religious site also in Uttar Pradesh. On November 6th, 1992, Hindu fanatics descended on Ayodhya to tear down a 17th-century mosque, the Babri Masjid, unleashing nationwide riots in which 2,000 people were killed, most of them Muslims. In September this year, a court in the state divided the site between Hindus and Muslims, giving the majority share—and the part upon which the mosque had stood—to Hindus.
arjunm
BRFite

Post by arjunm »

UK: Anti-Semitism Rampant in Muslim Schools
Second Generation More Extreme than Parents

Muslim religious schools operating in Britain are using poisonously anti-Semitic textbooks from Saudi Arabia to teach children as young as six that Jews are descended from "monkeys" and "pigs," and that Zionists are plotting to take over the world. The schools are also instructing children on how to chop off the hands and feet of a thief as per Islamic Sharia law. These are just a few of the findings of a British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) exposé of Saudi-run Muslim schools in Britain that aired on the prestigious Panorama documentary television program on November 22.

The Panorama investigation identified a network of over 40 such after-school and weekend programs catering to about 5,000 children, from ages six to eighteen. The schools offer the official Saudi national curriculum and run under the umbrella of "Saudi Students Clubs and Schools in the UK and Ireland." Panorama says the schools are overseen by the cultural bureau of the Saudi Arabian Embassy in London, and that a building used for one of the schools (in Ealing, West London) is owned by the Saudi government.

Saudi officials quoted by the BBC disavowed direct responsibility for the schools and clubs, and described the teachings cited in the program as having been "taken out of their historical context." But BBC Newsnight exposed similar anti-Semitic sentiments in Saudi textbooks at a Saudi school in London in 2007. At the time, the Saudi government promised a "comprehensive" review of all offensive material in its curriculum. (Saudi Arabia also promotes anti-Semitic hate-speech in the United States.)

According to Panorama, one Saudi textbook asks children to spell out the "reprehensible" qualities of Jews and explains that Jews are "cursed by God." Another textbook teaches that the penalty for sodomy is execution, and outlines differing perspectives as to whether death should be by stoning, immolation by fire, or throwing offenders off a cliff.

Yet another Saudi textbook explains the punishments prescribed by Sharia law for thievery, including the amputation of hands and feet – a hand for the first offence, a foot for the second. A BBC video shows a textbook illustration of a hand and a foot marked to show where amputations should be made.

Muslim teenagers studying the Saudi national curriculum in Britain in the hopes of getting into a Saudi university are also being taught that Zionists are plotting to take over the world for Jews. This harks back to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a fraudulent anti-Semitic text first published in Russia in 1903, that purports to descPanorama says many Muslim parents are sending their children to the Saudi-run schools to shield them from Western influence. But by teaching an overly narrow, Islamic-focused curriculum, these schools are turning out students ill-equipped for life in anything other than a Muslim ghetto -- which is a recipe for social conflict.
ribe a Jewish plan to achieve global domination. Although the "Protocols" were exposed as a hoax in 1921, the Saudi textbook for tenth-graders insists there are "many proofs" of the "veracity" of the Protocols.

During its investigation, Panorama also compared more than 100 websites of schools of all faiths, and was struck by the unequivocally anti-Western tone of many Muslim schools. Panorama voiced concern about a Muslim school ethos that reinforces separatism, either by living in separate enclaves or by rejecting the core values of a liberal democracy, such as tolerance, equality between men and women and respect for man-made laws.

Panorama says many Muslim parents are sending their children to the Saudi-run schools to shield them from Western influence. But by teaching an overly narrow, Islamic-focused curriculum, these schools are turning out students ill-equipped for life in anything other than a Muslim ghetto -- which is a recipe for social conflict.

The Muslim population in Britain has been rising rapidly in recent years, and research (here, here, here and here) by the Centre For Ethnicity and Citizenship at Bristol University shows that Muslim children are the most segregated in Britain.

Another study, the Channel 4 Dispatches Muslim Survey (complete results here), one of the most comprehensive surveys to date of Muslim opinion in Britain, shows that a new generation of Muslims is being raised to be much more radical than its parents. It also shows that Muslim integration into British society has effectively come to a halt. Although immigrants to Britain usually have tended to become more secular and less religious than their parents by the second generation, the survey shows Muslims have gone in precisely the opposite direction.

The Dispatches survey shows that today's young British Muslims are less liberal and more devout than their parents. Their beliefs render many of them determined not just to be different, but also to be separate from the rest of Britain. Although it is often assumed that those holding the most radical anti-Western views are from the lower socio-economic classes, the survey shows that the well-off and well-educated are just as likely to identify with radical Islam.

Among other findings, the survey shows that an overwhelming number of British Muslims believe free speech should not extend to insulting their religion, and that nearly one quarter of them believe the 2005 terrorist attacks in London were justified. More ominously, one-third of British Muslims would rather live under Sharia law, and almost 30% say they dream of Britain one day becoming an Islamic state.

Michael Gove, the education minister in the government of British Prime Minister David Cameron, told Panorama that the government would not tolerate "anti-Semitic material of any kind in English schools." (Gove is the author of Celsius 7/7, a brilliant analysis of Britain's wilful blindness in refusing to grasp the true nature and extent of the Islamist war upon the West). Gove also said that Ofsted, the government-appointed agency with oversight of education and children's services, would be "reporting to us shortly" on measures to tighten oversight of part-time schools.

The Saudi schools in Britain have, further, been able to get away with propagating anti-Semitism for nearly 30 years because, unlike full-time schools, part-time schools do not have to register with the Department for Education, and thus do not get inspected.

Not that inspections would make much difference. An investigation by The SundaMuslim religious schools operating in Britain are using poisonously anti-Semitic textbooks from Saudi Arabia to teach children as young as six that Jews are descended from "monkeys" and "pigs," and that Zionists are plotting to take over the world. The schools are also instructing children on how to chop off the hands and feet of a thief as per Islamic Sharia law. These are just a few of the findings of a British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) exposé of Saudi-run Muslim schools in Britain that aired on the prestigious Panorama documentary television program on November 22.

The Panorama investigation identified a network of over 40 such after-school and weekend programs catering to about 5,000 children, from ages six to eighteen. The schools offer the official Saudi national curriculum and run under the umbrella of "Saudi Students Clubs and Schools in the UK and Ireland." Panorama says the schools are overseen by the cultural bureau of the Saudi Arabian Embassy in London, and that a building used for one of the schools (in Ealing, West London) is owned by the Saudi government.

Saudi officials quoted by the BBC disavowed direct responsibility for the schools and clubs, and described the teachings cited in the program as having been "taken out of their historical context." But BBC Newsnight exposed similar anti-Semitic sentiments in Saudi textbooks at a Saudi school in London in 2007. At the time, the Saudi government promised a "comprehensive" review of all offensive material in its curriculum. (Saudi Arabia also promotes anti-Semitic hate-speech in the United States.)

According to Panorama, one Saudi textbook asks children to spell out the "reprehensible" qualities of Jews and explains that Jews are "cursed by God." Another textbook teaches that the penalty for sodomy is execution, and outlines differing perspectives as to whether death should be by stoning, immolation by fire, or throwing offenders off a cliff.

Yet another Saudi textbook explains the punishments prescribed by Sharia law for thievery, including the amputation of hands and feet – a hand for the first offence, a foot for the second. A BBC video shows a textbook illustration of a hand and a foot marked to show where amputations should be made.

Muslim teenagers studying the Saudi national curriculum in Britain in the hopes of getting into a Saudi university are also being taught that Zionists are plotting to take over the world for Jews. This harks back to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a fraudulent anti-Semitic text first published in Russia in 1903, that purports to describe a Jewish plan to achieve global domination. Although the "Protocols" were exposed as a hoax in 1921, the Saudi textbook for tenth-graders insists there are "many proofs" of the "veracity" of the Protocols.

During its investigation, Panorama also compared more than 100 websites of schools of all faiths, and was struck by the unequivocally anti-Western tone of many Muslim schools. Panorama voiced concern about a Muslim school ethos that reinforces separatism, either by living in separate enclaves or by rejecting the core values of a liberal democracy, such as tolerance, equality between men and women and respect for man-made laws.

Panorama says many Muslim parents are sending their children to the Saudi-run schools to shield them from Western influence. But by teaching an overly narrow, Islamic-focused curriculum, these schools are turning out students ill-equipped for life in anything other than a Muslim ghetto -- which is a recipe for social conflict.

The Muslim population in Britain has been rising rapidly in recent years, and research (here, here, here and here) by the Centre For Ethnicity and Citizenship at Bristol University shows that Muslim children are the most segregated in Britain.

Another study, the Channel 4 Dispatches Muslim Survey (complete results here), one of the most comprehensive surveys to date of Muslim opinion in Britain, shows that a new generation of Muslims is being raised to be much more radical than its parents. It also shows that Muslim integration into British society has effectively come to a halt. Although immigrants to Britain usually have tended to become more secular and less religious than their parents by the second generation, the survey shows Muslims have gone in precisely the opposite direction.

The Dispatches survey shows that today's young British Muslims are less liberal and more devout than their parents. Their beliefs render many of them determined not just to be different, but also to be separate from the rest of Britain. Although it is often assumed that those holding the most radical anti-Western views are from the lower socio-economic classes, the survey shows that the well-off and well-educated are just as likely to identify with radical Islam.

Among other findings, the survey shows that an overwhelming number of British Muslims believe free speech should not extend to insulting their religion, and that nearly one quarter of them believe the 2005 terrorist attacks in London were justified. More ominously, one-third of British Muslims would rather live under Sharia law, and almost 30% say they dream of Britain one day becoming an Islamic state.

Michael Gove, the education minister in the government of British Prime Minister David Cameron, told Panorama that the government would not tolerate "anti-Semitic material of any kind in English schools." (Gove is the author of Celsius 7/7, a brilliant analysis of Britain's wilful blindness in refusing to grasp the true nature and extent of the Islamist war upon the West). Gove also said that Ofsted, the government-appointed agency with oversight of education and children's services, would be "reporting to us shortly" on measures to tighten oversight of part-time schools.

The Saudi schools in Britain have, further, been able to get away with propagating anti-Semitism for nearly 30 years because, unlike full-time schools, part-time schools do not have to register with the Department for Education, and thus do not get inspected.

Not that inspections would make much difference. An investigation by The Sunday Telegraph recently established that Ofsted has published positive reports praising Muslim schools for their contribution to community cohesion, even in the case of a school which openly states that Muslims "oppose the lifestyle of the West." The Ofsted inspector responsible for many of the reports has been accused of having links to radical Islamist organisations. The newspaper also revealed that another Ofsted inspector is the chief executive of a radical Muslim educational foundation, IBERR, which describes Islamic schools as "one of the most important factors which protect Muslim children from the onslaught of Euro-centrism, homosexuality, racism, and secular traditions."

In one instance, Ofsted inspected the Madani Girls' School, a private Islamic school in London's East End. In its official report, Ofsted says the school leaves its pupils "well-prepared for life in a multicultural society." However, the Madani Girls' School's website states: "If we oppose the lifestyle of the West, then it does not seem sensible that the teachers and the system which represents that lifestyle should educate our children."

In another instance, Ofsted inspected the Tawhid Boys' School in Hackney, north London. The Ofsted report says the curriculum is "good … broad and balanced." However, the school's prospectus says the curriculum is kept strictly "within the bounds of Sharia."

Ofsted has also cleared schools run by supporters of the extremist Hizb ut Tahrir, which would like to replace the British state with a dictatorship under Islamic law. The schools, which belong to the Islamic Shakhsiyah Foundation, teach children key elements of Hizb ut Tahrir ideology, which says that integration as "dangerous" and says that British Muslims should "fight assimilation" into British society. It also states that "those [Muslims] who believe in democracy are Kafir," or apostates, and it orders all Muslims to keep apart from non-believers, and boycott "corrupt" British elections and political processes.

One of the Islamic Shakhsiyah Foundation's trustees is the author of a Hizb ut-Tahrir pamphlet titled Education and Identity, which attacks the British national curriculum for its "systematic indoctrination" of Muslim children "to build model British citizens." The trustee criticizes "attempts to integrate Muslim children" into British society as an effort "to produce new generations that reject Islam." She also describes English as "one of the most damaging subjects" a school can teach, and attacks fairy tales, saying they "reflect secular and immoral beliefs that contradict the viewpoint of Islam."

Ofsted has also passed responsibility for the inspection of dozens of Muslim schools to a new private "faith schools watchdog," the Bridge Schools Inspectorate, which is co-controlled by Islamic schools' own lobbying and trade body, the Association of Muslim Schools. The Bridge Schools Inspectorate allows Muslim head teachers to inspect each other's schools and return favourable verdicts.

A November 22 report published by the center-right think tank Policy Exchange concludes that the British education system is currently "not equipPanorama says many Muslim parents are sending their children to the Saudi-run schools to shield them from Western influence. But by teaching an overly narrow, Islamic-focused curriculum, these schools are turning out students ill-equipped for life in anything other than a Muslim ghetto -- which is a recipe for social conflict.
ped" to prevent "extremist influences" in faith schools. Titled "Faith Schools We Can Believe In: Ensuring that Tolerant and Democratic Values are Upheld in Every Part of Britain's Education System," the report contains a number of recommendations about how to protect children from religious fundamentalism in the classroom. Among those, the report calls for abolishing the Bridge Schools Inspectorate and the establishment of a Due Diligence Unit to assess all schools, their trustees and staff, against a statutory definition of extremism.y Telegraph recently established that Ofsted has published positive reports praising Muslim schools for their contribution to community cohesion, even in the case of a school which openly states that Muslims "oppose the lifestyle of the West." The Ofsted inspector responsible for many of the reports has been accused of having links to radical Islamist organisations. The newspaper also revealed that another Ofsted inspector is the chief executive of a radical Muslim educational foundation, IBERR, which describes Islamic schools as "one of the most important factors which protect Muslim children from the onslaught of Euro-centrism, homosexuality, racism, and secular traditions."

In one instance, Ofsted inspected the Madani Girls' School, a private Islamic school in London's East End. In its official report, Ofsted says the school leaves its pupils "well-prepared for life in a multicultural society." However, the Madani Girls' School's website states: "If we oppose the lifestyle of the West, then it does not seem sensible that the teachers and the system which represents that lifestyle should educate our children."

In another instance, Ofsted inspected the Tawhid Boys' School in Hackney, north London. The Ofsted report says the curriculum is "good … broad and balanced." However, the school's prospectus says the curriculum is kept strictly "within the bounds of Sharia."

Ofsted has also cleared schools run by supporters of the extremist Hizb ut Tahrir, which would like to replace the British state with a dictatorship under Islamic law. The schools, which belong to the Islamic Shakhsiyah Foundation, teach children key elements of Hizb ut Tahrir ideology, which says that integration as "dangerous" and says that British Muslims should "fight assimilation" into British society. It also states that "those [Muslims] who believe in democracy are Kafir," or apostates, and it orders all Muslims to keep apart from non-believers, and boycott "corrupt" British elections and political processes.

One of the Islamic Shakhsiyah Foundation's trustees is the author of a Hizb ut-Tahrir pamphlet titled Education and Identity, which attacks the British national curriculum for its "systematic indoctrination" of Muslim children "to build model British citizens." The trustee criticizes "attempts to integrate Muslim children" into British society as an effort "to produce new generations that reject Islam." She also describes English as "one of the most damaging subjects" a school can teach, and attacks fairy tales, saying they "reflect secular and immoral beliefs that contradict the viewpoint of Islam."

Ofsted has also passed responsibility for the inspection of dozens of Muslim schools to a new private "faith schools watchdog," the Bridge Schools Inspectorate, which is co-controlled by Islamic schools' own lobbying and trade body, the Association of Muslim Schools. The Bridge Schools Inspectorate allows Muslim head teachers to inspect each other's schools and return favourable verdicts.

A November 22 report published by the center-right think tank Policy Exchange concludes that the British education system is currently "not equipped" to prevent "extremist influences" in faith schools. Titled "Faith Schools We Can Believe In: Ensuring that Tolerant and Democratic Values are Upheld in Every Part of Britain's Education System," the report contains a number of recommendations about how to protect children from religious fundamentalism in the classroom. Among those, the report calls for abolishing the Bridge Schools Inspectorate and the establishment of a Due Diligence Unit to assess all schools, their trustees and staff, against a statutory definition of extremism.

http://www.hudson-ny.org/1703/uk-anti-s ... im-schools
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

From twitter:
Sudanese president 'stashed $9bn in UK' http://gu.com/p/2mvd7/ip
World's most ethical country and all that. Nothing wrong with feeding off bloodied loot, of course. Just that don;t go around preaching concern and compassion for 'em sudanese genocide victims at int'l fora after this.
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Microfinance initiative.
It is interesting that James Caan is of paki origin and is organising this in India not pak!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... slums.html
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

james-mian knows where to make money and where to lose it...
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Attempted Honor Killing Goes Unpunished

http://frontpagemag.com/2010/12/22/gett ... -murder/2/
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Nine held over UK 'Christmas plot'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12081828
Nine men charged with conspiracy to bomb high-profile London targets in the run-up to Christmas have been remanded in custody after appearing in court.

They were also charged with preparing for terrorism by agreeing potential targets and testing materials.

The court was told that one of the potential targets was the London Stock Exchange.

The men are aged between 19 and 28 and three are from Cardiff, two from London and four from Stoke-on-Trent.
Mohammed Moksudur Rahman Chowdhury, 20, of Stanliff House, Tower Hamlets, and Shah Mohammed Lutfar Rahman, 28, of St Bernard's Road, Newham, have been remanded in custody until 14 January.

The defendants from Stoke-on-Trent

Gurukanth Desai, 28, of Albert Street; Omar Sharif Latif, 26, of Neville Street, and Abdul Malik Miah, 24, of Ninian Park Road, all from Cardiff, have to appear at the Old Bailey on the same date.

Nazam Hussain, 25, of Grove Street; Usman Khan, 19, of Persia Walk; Mohibur Rahman, 26, of North Road, and Abul Bosher Mohammed Shahjahan, 26, of Burmarsh Walk, all from Stoke-on-Trent, were also remanded in custody.
Christopher Sidor
BRFite

Post by Christopher Sidor »

Haresh wrote:Microfinance initiative.
It is interesting that James Caan is of paki origin and is organising this in India not pak!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... slums.html
No wonder Micro-finance has got so much bad press in India. 12% interest !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Compare this rate with the base rate of SBI of about 8% (Approximately). It is said that micro-finance are worse and more predatory than money-lenders of pre-independent India.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

12% is nothing... There are places where 60% interest is not uncommon, with the initial loan of Rs 100,000 being given minus 5% = Rs 95,0000 ... On the strength of a post-dated cheque, which if it bounces is a serious problem for the loan-taker.
Arjun
BRF Oldie

Post by Arjun »

Christopher Sidor wrote:No wonder Micro-finance has got so much bad press in India. 12% interest !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Compare this rate with the base rate of SBI of about 8% (Approximately). It is said that micro-finance are worse and more predatory than money-lenders of pre-independent India.
12% for microfinance credit would be considered charity anywhere in the world. You have to understand that in India the RBI has not allowed MFIs to be regulated as banks and take deposits, so they are forced to borrow from banks at 12 - 14% at the minimum. Obviously if your cost of funds is that much, you have to lend out to much riskier unsecured borrowers at much higher rates, when the operational costs of dealing with millions of small-scale borrowers is much higher than for a normal bank. General rates charged by most Indian MFIs is between 25 - 40% - which itself is at least 50% lower than what is charged by MFIs in other parts of the world.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Was an Indian among 12 held for UK terror plot

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 179664.cms

No wonder the same sounded vaguely familiar...
One of the men, called Gurukanth Desai, is believed to be of Indian origin according to some reports, but others are calling him a Bangladeshi.

The name, investigators believe, was adopted by the man from the lead character of an Indian Hindi movie. Desai is currently in police custody facing terror charges.
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

How did a hardcore salafist turn into a guru desai?

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/15/ ... desai.html
When news broke on Monday of nine men arrested in a nationwide strike across the United Kingdom, foiling a terror conspiracy, one man stood out from the rest: Gurukant Desai. At 28, he was the oldest of the group and the only non-Muslim name in the list. A Hindu man in a Salafist conspiracy.
It now transpires that Gurukant Desai was just a Bollywood-inspired ruse to allow an alleged operative to live and move around freely without inviting suspicion. ‘Desai’ has no links to India.
The man with the smirk and feral eyes you see in the picture alongside is a Bangladeshi, and his real name is Abdul Mannan Miah who lives in Cardiff with his wife and two children.
Interviews with local councillors and neighbours reveal Cardiff to be heavily influenced by all things Indian, especially Bollywood films and desi food. The entire Riverside area, where Desai alias Abdul Miah lives, is dotted with restaurants run by Bangladeshis who call themselves Indian, as also film rental parlours. Locals alleged that some of the youth in the area were earlier involved in petty crimes which could have been the reason for Abdul Mannan Miah to change his name.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

:rotfl: so there likely ends one mystery.

I am recalling the incident where shocked cops found a bangladeshi man with a blood stained beard was lying semi conscious in a park ... he had apparently killed and eaten raw one of the queen's flock of mute geese. when asked why he had done the deed he screamed abuses against UK and said he hated the country :lol:
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Honestly,I like 'Gurukanth Desai' and his ilk. Inshallah,may their tribe grow!And Almighty Allah give them success than such failures.
The beeb and the desi dork media-are they reporting the real story now?
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

From the Telegraph

Delhi to build its own Tate Modern on banks of Yamuna :D
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/ ... amuna.html

U.S. military chief admits there is no way to stop terrorists pouring through Pakistan-Afghanistan border

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z19Wco50gP :(

A father at 94: Indian farmer claims to be world's oldest dad... and he wants MORE children :D

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z19Wea8eHg
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

Singha wrote::rotfl: so there likely ends one mystery.

I am recalling the incident where shocked cops found a bangladeshi man with a blood stained beard was lying semi conscious in a park ... he had apparently killed and eaten raw one of the queen's flock of mute geese. when asked why he had done the deed he screamed abuses against UK and said he hated the country :lol:
FYI:
DT Link

Can some forum IT expert write a script to automatically convert these DT links?
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Only in Londonistan: The strange story of Gurukanth Desai, and Britain's war against jihadist terror
Confirms that this Gurukanth Desai is really a Bangladeshi who originally went by the name Abdul Mannan Miah.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Latest from Great Britainistan!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 75178.html

The Islamification of Britain: record numbers embrace Muslim faith

The number of Britons converting to Islam has doubled in 10 years. Why? Jerome Taylor and Sarah Morrison investigate

Xcpt:
Previous estimates have placed the number of Muslim converts in the UK at between 14,000 and 25,000.

But a new study by the inter-faith think-tank Faith Matters suggests the real figure could be as high as 100,000, with as many as 5,000 new conversions nationwide each year
Haresh
BRFite

Post by Haresh »

Philip,

These kind of reports appear in the media once in a while.
I have a link to a story in the Times about the estimated number of people who leave islam.
I have met a fair few who have renounced it, if not openly then privatley.
The islamic lobby in the UK have a vested interest in exaggerating those converting
reading the stories of those who left, in all honesty they won't stay muslim.
How many convert and the renounce it privatley, just lose interest or realise the truth ??

The BNP member is interesting
Dawud Beale, 23
He has just found another outlet for his hate towards Jews.
There has allways been an islam/nazi link and always will be.

Denise Horsley, 26, dance teacher
How long will she remain when she is forbidden from dancing?

Hana Tajima, 23, fashion designer how long will she remain?

These people think they can have their cake and eat it.
They are protected by British laws and culture. How many will fly to one of the 57 $hit holes and realise the reality of their new found belief?? :twisted:
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

quite possibly a significant proportion are conversions required for marriage
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

today's print edition of Times carries an article on 'roadside grooming' where older men pick up and groom underage girls for sex. this is done by men in expensive cars giving out jewelry and drugs to vulnerable teenagers, almost always under the legal age. Almost all victims are white, with some bangladeshi muslims also. of 56 convictions of perpetrators, 53 are of pakistani origin men from late teens to their 50's. Most commonly, the perpetrators are male members of the same family or clan, some with daughters the same age as the victims. some girls have been raped 50+ times often in groups, many have been trafficked within the sex industry within the country. Offences are mostly committed in northern england and the midlands in towns which have a high pakistani population.

interesting to note that bangladeshi girls have been added to the wajib-e-canadavisa list (athough not a total surprise given 1971), reveals a deeper racist mindset than the 'normal' uncovered meat of western girls disgusting stereotypes that paquis love

police have up to now shied away from the ethnicity angle of the perpetrators out of fear of being labelled racist, but increasingly the media have picked up the scent and as of today's press have been open about being specific about who the perpetrators are

one muslim spokesman has come out to condemn the acts openly, other members of the community spoke to reporters in disguise, saying that it was not safe to discuss the subject given who the men were
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Great Britain or Pitiable Britain?
http://awesternheart.blogspot.com/2010/ ... mbers.html
Racist to mention suicide bombers
Swansea bar serving a cocktail drink called a 'Suicide Bomber' has apologised after being accused of "insensitivity."The advert in the window of The Lounge in Wind Street advertises the drink with a mock image of a person wearing an explosive-packed vest.The director of the Swansea Bay Race Equality Council said it went beyond a poor joke and wants it taken down.The bar said they did not mean to cause any offence or to upset anyone. The cocktail is part of a promotion for bomb-themed drinks, alongside 'Skittle Bomb', 'Cherry Bomb' and 'Melon Bomb'.Taha Idris, director of Swansea Bay Race Equality Council, said: "I just can't believe that anyone could be so insensitive with all that is going on in the world.
http://awesternheart.blogspot.com/2010/ ... mbers.html
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

london police tactical firearms teams are patrolling railway stations this morning... hope nothing serious is afoot
Maram
BRFite

Post by Maram »

Lalmohan wrote:today's print edition of Times carries an article on 'roadside grooming' where older men pick up and groom underage girls for sex. this is done by men in expensive cars giving out jewelry and drugs to vulnerable teenagers, almost always under the legal age. Almost all victims are white, with some bangladeshi muslims also. of 56 convictions of perpetrators, 53 are of pakistani origin men from late teens to their 50's. Most commonly, the perpetrators are male members of the same family or clan, some with daughters the same age as the victims. some girls have been raped 50+ times often in groups, many have been trafficked within the sex industry within the country. Offences are mostly committed in northern england and the midlands in towns which have a high pakistani population.

interesting to note that bangladeshi girls have been added to the wajib-e-canadavisa list (athough not a total surprise given 1971), reveals a deeper racist mindset than the 'normal' uncovered meat of western girls disgusting stereotypes that paquis love

police have up to now shied away from the ethnicity angle of the perpetrators out of fear of being labelled racist, but increasingly the media have picked up the scent and as of today's press have been open about being specific about who the perpetrators are

one muslim spokesman has come out to condemn the acts openly, other members of the community spoke to reporters in disguise, saying that it was not safe to discuss the subject given who the men were
I bought the times yesterday after reading your post. The follow up today in the times is that Nick Clegg has been quoted as wanting to investigate this matter up. I have a good understanding of the British Prisons due to my job and British citizens of pakistani origin are over representative to the proprotion of the population that they actually are. Not just sexual crime... just about any crime. Ofcourse, I don't have any studies or figures to back it up. It has been my experience that there are way too many people of pakistani origin in British Prison, Particularly west Midlands and the Northwest regions.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Lalmohan wrote:london police tactical firearms teams are patrolling railway stations this morning... hope nothing serious is afoot
Nah!, just looking for Brazilians