Indian Health Care Sector

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
James B
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Health Care Sector

Post by James B »

SSridhar wrote:
Ameet wrote:To India, for a new heart

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/he ... nchO7DiUss
That article brings out all the stereotypical and condescending mindset that we have to frequently tackle.
:)
There was a comment on this article by the patient's wife Shelley which tells about how these western journalists propagate stereotypes about India.
First of all I did not sleep on the floor of a dirty hospital. I slept in a bed 3 feet from my husband. Second of all what wasn't mentioned in the artical was that my 101 year old Grandmother passed away while I was in India and was not able to attend her funeral. You have no idea what I went thru as the caregiver for my husband while my own family was dying here in the US. My husband supported my decision to come back to visit my family and that truly is all that mattered. I do however appreciate your concern.

posted by shellylemmer on Sep 20, 10 at 3:56 pm
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

Appollo plans to set up 50 new hospitals across India

http://sify.com/finance/appollo-plans-t ... bajfh.html
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

Over 5L med travellers visit India

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 648149.cms

High-quality yet low-cost healthcare combined with traditional medicines have managed to attract over 5 lakh medical-value travellers to the country and the numbers are only set to increase.

The revelation was made in a joint study by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) and HOSMAC, a hospital planning and consultancy firm.

Though Singapore has come to be recognised as one of the most sought after medical tourism destinations, India has managed to beat it in terms of cost efficiency.

Within the country, Chennai has managed to beat all other cities, including Mumbai to attract most medical-value travellers to its hospitals.

According to industry watchers, however, most of the medical tourism growth is happening by default. "There is hardly any concerted effort for this. For policy makers, the priority understandably is to meet the demand for beds arising from our own country,'' says Shobha Mitra Ghosh, director, FICCI.
Vipul
BRF Oldie

Post by Vipul »

Heart surgeries without cutting chest bone comes to India.
The advantages are -
. No chest bones are cut - preserved integrity of the chest
. 2-3 inch incision
. Minimised blood loss
. Reduced operative trauma
. Minimal risk of infection
. Greatly reduced post operative pain
. Rapid recovery, can go home within 4 days after surgery
. Back to work in 10-15 days
. Excellent cosmetic results with a small hidden scar
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Any Rakshak here with access to good,reputable ENT equipoment manufacturing, markeeting company in India ?
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

IIPM Prof. Prasoon on 'DRUG ABUSE OR CHILD ABUSE'
http://pr-usa.net/index.php?option=com_ ... &Itemid=34

Taking advantage of poor knowledge of consumers, malpractices by doctors and weak regulation, drug companies are selling medicines at hugely inflated prices. Raj Pradhan exposes how helpless patients, rich and poor, are ripped off day in and day out
http://www.moneylife.in/article/9231.html
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Rabies Alert for Travellers to Africa & Asia
But, the sad story pertains to India. Indian administrative/health care officials are utterly careless about these issues even when presence of mad and stray dogs is brought to their attention. Many times, stray dogs have menaced me when I go for my morning jogging in the beach. There are dozens of them that scare people but repeated requests to Chennai Corporation have seen no action. I am sure that the situation is no better in other cities of India.
Public health officials have issued a rabies warning to American travelers after a 42-year-old psychiatrist from Virginia died from exposure to a rabid dog while he was jogging in India.

It was one of seven cases of rabies acquired abroad from 2000 to 2009, out of 31 human cases in the United States, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported last week. Other cases were contracted by Americans traveling in the Philippines, Mexico, Ghana, El Salvador, Haiti and Mexico.

The psychiatrist’s exposure to the rabid dog occurred in the summer of 2009. (The nature of the encounter was not given, and the victim’s name was not released.) About three months later he began having fevers and chills, developed acute discomfort in his legs and became incontinent. Within 24 hours of being hospitalized, his behavior became erratic and he began gagging on large amounts of saliva. Tests confirmed he had rabies, and he died on Nov. 20, 2009.

C.D.C. officials say that many dogs in Africa and Asia have rabies, and people can be exposed through a bite or through exposure to infectious body fluids like saliva that come in contact with an open wound or mucous membranes.

The agency is warning travelers to countries where rabies is common to seek medical treatment if they come in contact with suspicious animals.

When you “walk up to a cute dog on the street in a place like India,” said an author of the report, Jesse Blanton, a C.D.C. epidemiologist, “you place yourself at a lot of risk.”
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

It is essential that all the stray dogs are caught and killed if they are found with rabbis. Suddenly animals rights group will appear to condemn any killing of stray dogs. In such cases the animal right groups should look after the dogs in their custody. Otherwise they should provide an answer. Ofcourse it is essential not kill animals because they are running stray but at the same time they should not cause many deaths in India.

http://en.vivanews.com/news/read/179940 ... every-year
Uttam
BRFite

Dengue

Post by Uttam »

I want to share with forum members something that has been bothering me a lot for last couple of days. This is about dengue fever in India.

One of my 20 yr old cousin is fighting for her life in Gujarat. Her platelet count came down to 3000 and is now back to 50,000 and her condition is still critical. A 31 yr old guy who lived in my neighborhood a couple of decades ago, recently died of dengue in Greater Noida. He was an ophthalmologist. At least 6 member of my extended family and acquaintances are suffering or have recently recovered from it. My father, who is physician at a private medical college in Noida says that their hospital is running very low on plasma and that they are not able to admit any more dengue patients because of very high rate of infections.

The point I am trying to make is that if in a small sample of my relatives and acquaintances, I know 8 people who have suffered from dengue then the actual rate of infections should be quiet high. Add to this is the fact that I left India a decade ago, so the number of my acquaintances in India has really shrunk. To me it is nothing less than an epidemic with substantial mortality rate (1/8). so why the heck do we not see outrage and concern about it in the media? Is it some how related to saving h&d in light of the ongoing commonwealth games? I read Times of India, Hindustan Times and Business Standard almost daily and I see very little coverage of it.

Please tell me that I am wrong. Because if I am correct then this apathy if extremely disturbing.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

This is a deadly disease and deserves attention. Once infected, painful death is certain.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: Dengue

Post by SSridhar »

Uttam wrote:Please tell me that I am wrong. Because if I am correct then this apathy if extremely disturbing.
Uttam, I wish the best for your cousin to recover. This is not about the ongoing CWG. There is total apathy towards public health in our country. Neither the government nor the public care.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Liver problems in India
Liver failure requiring organ transplantation is also rising, and there are a number of people waiting as per the organ registry, Prof. Chandy said. There are about 50 lakh Indians with cirrhosis of the liver; 4 per cent who have Hepatitis B infection; 32 per cent have a fatty liver condition, 10 per cent have gallstone disease and between 10-20 per cent have Gastro Esophaegeal Reflux Disease, Prof. Chandy explained.
Uttam
BRFite

Re: Dengue

Post by Uttam »

SSridhar wrote: I wish the best for your cousin to recover. This is not about the ongoing CWG. There is total apathy towards public health in our country. Neither the government nor the public care.
Thanks SSridhar. She is fine now and back home. This is what my father say about health and medical services. (He is surgeon but recently retired from State government service. His last posting was on the health side. ) According to him, India has made great progress in medical services, especially in urban areas. Where we lacks terribly is the health services. And this not because the health departments are unaware of the problem or due to lack of budget. It is entirely due to the massive amount of corruption in these services. According to him almost 95-99% of health budget (not including salaries) is pilfered away in UP.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

India tops Commonwealth countries in the number of underweight children
In a new report, “Commonwealth or Common Hunger,” Save the Children, an NGO, claims that 64 per cent of the world's underweight children live in the 54 Commonwealth countries, and India has both the highest number and the highest proportion of underweight children.

With 43 per cent of India's children underweight and seven million under five severely malnourished, the possibility of the country shining in future sporting events like the Commonwealth Games “appears bleak,” said Save the Children CEO Thomas Chandy.

The critical period, when malnutrition can have the most irrevocable impact, is during the first 33 months — from conception to a child's second birthday. After this period, it is much harder to reverse the effects of chronic malnutrition and the effects are life-long or life-threatening.
It may be true that India hosts the most number of under-weight children among the Commonwealth countries, though I am not clear how under-weight is classified for SDREs. Leaving that aside, the appearance of this Commonwealth-specific report (the like of which I haven't seen before) and the frequent references within the report to the Commonwealth Games appear not so innocuous. There is a likely deeper agenda here quite similar to the superbug, than what meets the eye.
Ameet
BRFite

Post by Ameet »

India close to victory in war against polio

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-clo ... 17446.aspx

India has recorded a sharp drop in polio cases with just 39 cases to date in 2010, compared to 498 at the same time last year, according to the latest World Health Organisation data. The endemic states of Bihar and UP saw a drastic decline in the number of cases, bringing cheer to the country’s
efforts to eradicate polio.
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

India announces big welfare scheme for pregnant mothers
The Indian government has launched a major welfare scheme for pregnant women and breast-feeding mothers.They will be given about 12,000 rupees ($270) over a period of six months.
To be eligible for the scheme each woman will have to undergo regular health checks during her pregnancy and ensure vaccinations are up to date.

According to the UN, India has the highest maternal mortality rate in the world with 1,000 women dying every day because of pregnancy-related problems.

It says that a woman giving birth is 36 times more likely to die in India than her equivalent in a developed country.

Over a million women will benefit from the scheme which will cover most parts of the country and will cost the government nearly $223m.

To ensure that the money reaches eligible women the government has decided to transfer the cash directly into their bank accounts.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

Folks take this seriously. Having watched 3 people in my family die of this, trust me, you don't want to die of diabetes. It is excruciating. :cry: :cry:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-0 ... class.html

India's Diabetes Epidemic Strikes Millions Who Escape Poverty

Programmed for Diabetes

Researchers are finding the pattern begins before birth: Underfed mothers produce small, undernourished babies with metabolisms equipped for deprivation and unable to cope with plenty. Sonar’s mother, a widow who spent her life in a village and raised seven children by doing farm work, was active and healthy into her 70s, Sonar says.

“Diabetes trends in this country are absolutely frightening,” says Nikhil Tandon, a professor of endocrinology at New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences, which India Today magazine ranks as the nation’s top medical school.

In urban India, Type 2 diabetes, the kind Sonar has, affected 3 percent to 4 percent of adults when Tandon, 46, graduated in the mid-1980s.

“Now, it’s 11 or 12 percent,” he says. “In some parts of southern India, it’s 18 or 19 percent. Nobody predicted it. That is huge.”

Diabetes is hitting India’s population at an average age of 42.5 years -- about a decade earlier than it strikes people of European origin, says Anoop Misra, head of diabetes and metabolic diseases at Fortis Healthcare Ltd.’s hospitals unit in New Delhi. That’s hobbling a population of money-earners and parents during their primes.

Diabetes costs India the equivalent of 2.1 percent of its annual gross domestic product, the Economist Intelligence Unit found in 2007, mostly from lost earnings and productivity. Costs in the U.S. were 1.2 percent of GDP and 0.4 percent in the U.K. in the same year.
This is a common problem I see. Often being plump is socially associated with healthy/prosperous.
Walking and meager food kept her weight below 35 kilograms as a teenager, about the same as an American fifth-grade girl. Once she moved to Mumbai, where water flowed from a tap and food was more plentiful, she began to gain weight.

“People would always say to me, ‘You’re so skinny. You can afford to get a little fatter,’” she says.
Survival Trick

“The conventional explanation up until that time was that poorer people have worse lifestyles and so they are kind of bringing it all on themselves,” Barker, 72, says. “That would be the prevailing view in the U.S. today. There isn’t evidence for that.”

As Barker sees it, malnutrition during a baby’s development affects how a person’s body behaves for a lifetime. An undernourished fetus prioritizes sugar for its growing brain. To make more glucose available in the blood, the fetus stores less of the energy in its muscles by making the muscles resistant to the effects of insulin.

What starts as a clever survival trick in the womb becomes a liability in later life. When food is freely available but the muscles can’t store excess glucose, the blood floods with sugar and diabetes develops. Too much sugar in the blood damages the heart, small blood vessels and nerves, compounding the risk of heart attack, stroke and kidney failure.

‘Our Lives Were Rotten’

“The biggest recipe for chronic disease is to have a very poor start in life and then to be in a situation where you’re rapidly transitioning towards excess nutrition and inadequate activity,” says Caroline Fall, 56, a professor of international pediatric epidemiology at Southampton, who joined Barker’s group in 1990 and has studied diseases in India since 1991. “That’s absolutely characteristic of what’s happening in India.”

Conditions for a cycle of deprivation and diabetes are ripe in India, where people start out more malnourished than in almost all other countries. Twenty-eight percent of Indian newborns -- or 7.4 million in 2008 -- weighed less than 2.5 kilograms; 43 percent of children under 5 years are underweight, the United Nations Children’s Fund said in November 2009.
“Although Indian people who get diabetes are slim by Western standards, they have got pound for pound more fat,” Barker says. Indians have less lean mass as a percentage of total weight, contributing to their diabetes risk, he says.

Chittaranjan S. Yajnik says Barker’s research resonated in India, where diabetes patients were younger and weighed less than those he’d seen during post-graduate training at England’s Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford, which closed in 2007.

“As a medical student, it was very obvious that while we were reading Western textbooks, what we were seeing in our patients was very different,” says Yajnik, 58, director of the diabetes unit
Chronically Hungry

Yajnik observed that Indian newborns were typically small and thin -- like their mothers -- yet carried proportionally more insulin-repelling fat than infants in England. More important, he found low birth weight predicted insulin resistance in Indian children, identifying those already on the road to diabetes and cardiovascular disease, just as Barker had posited.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

^ Recommend 'Pandora's Seed' by Spencer Wells. The genes that aid diabetes evolved as a beneficial one when we were hunter-gatherers and subsistence farmers. When people make the switch from subsistence and exercise to gluttony and sedentary lifestyle (without getting educated or awareness about how to watch out and prevent diabetes) - diabetes becomes an epidemic. India is very much in this window and we need to educate people as much as we can on this killer.

Three servings of white rice - two times a day - all around the year - this was the situation at the in-laws house. Changed that to brown rice and more variety and 30 mins walk a day, just this alone has improved their health dramatically.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

Yoga gives a boost to feel-good brain chemical: Study http://www.dnaindia.com/health/report_y ... dy_1465583

Indian rules hearts of yoga crazy South Koreans http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_in ... ns_1454207

Yoga has caught on in South Korea and is now a craze among the people, particularly in the national capital, Seoul. And believe it or not, a young man from India, Abhijit Ghosh, is the most popular teacher of yoga in this city.

Ghosh said he came to Seoul four years back as a yoga teacher at the local university. Yoga is part of the curriculum at the university and is compulsory for its students.

And here in India congress party rabidly opposes introduction of yoga in school curriculum, congress party would rather like Indians to die instead of them being fit and healthy. Congress party is a curse on India.
Maram
BRFite

Post by Maram »

India should focus on prevention, rather than treat consequences of serious illness.Diabetes,Hypertension(high blood pressure) etc.... are the real reasons of serious heart,kidney and brain illnesses.
We need to teach and inculcate the following things to young children :-
1) 5 portions( a fist size of is equivalent to one portion ) of fruit and vegetable to be taken by every person everyday.
2) do atleast 30 minutes exercise(more than 110 steps/minute to make it aerobic exercise) atleast 5 times/week.
3)washing vegetables(as most most fruit and vegetables have chemicals) thoroughly before cooking. Vegetables grown in India apparently have high fertiliser usage & adulterated fertilisers are are also very common.
4)Following hygienic practises like rigorous hand washing before cooking/handling food. Eat hot food only
5) do atleast 20-30 minutes yoga in the evening(several DVDs are available for easy to follow instructions) in the evenings.This helps relax after a tough days work.
6) Find an ideal work-life balance. This is perhaps the most difficult bit.Don't ever have stress at home and work at the same time. Find things to do as a family. make sure family don't suffer if you are busy at work in the recent past.
7) Ensure you take Omega 3 fish oil tablets( atleast one a day). This helps with better immune sys tem and cognition.
8)Drink atleast 2 litres of water every day.Most of the headaches/body aches are apparently due to dehydration.There is good evidence towards this.
9) Adhere to 2000- 2500 cals/day. Vary your carbohydrate every day. Chapathi/Rice/pasta/ragi roti etc etc...
10)Getting basic health check up including dental check up once every 2-3 years might be a very good idea for anyone in the mid 30s.

Following the above 10 principles,I believe Most of us can have good physical and mental health for a long time.
Maram
BRFite

Post by Maram »

Addendum to the previous post of mine:-

11) Reduce salt and oil usage to bare minimum.
12) drink a glass of warm milk/horlicks/ovaltine/bournavita etc.. before you sleep ensure you are in a dark room and it is quiet when you try to sleep.sleep of 8 hours works wonders.
13) Don't smoke or drink. if you do try to reduce it. Smoking is an absolute no no. You may drink the odd occassion.
14)Don't forget to laugh/watch comedy programmes/ meet friends and family where possible as this brings the feel good factor which is good for your overall health.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Drinking one to two ounces is day is recommended. Preferably red wine so as to possibly benefit from resveratrol. I think there is something about the benefits of drink in Ayurveda as well.

OK to make that a double
Maram
BRFite

Post by Maram »

@ Vera_k:-

Big points i was making was that :-

1)India should focus on prevention

2) That focus on prevention should begin at a very young age at school.
There is a saying in Telugu "mokke vangandi maani vonguna" (If the shrub can't bend will the tree bend)....
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

How the TB Bug hijacks our stem cells for its survival
A whole slew of cells called macrophages and lymphocytes surround the bacteria (that still manage to survive) and form a sphere of tightly bound cells, and these balls are called granulomas.

Granulomas are thus a half-way defence system. They reflect the inability of the immune system to totally eradicate the pathogen. Most of us are actually chronically infected by TB. But there are no symptoms or illness.

However, this stalemate is broken when some unfortunate trigger releases the quarantined bug. The infection then flares up to become illness, and can be transmitted to others.

“Checkmate” situation

It is this “checkmate” situation that we must try and understand, so that the body can be rid of the bad bugs. And the bug, having been around in the world far longer than we have been, has some evolutionary survival tricks up its sleeve. It is a matter of who blinks first.

An insight into how the TB bacterium (called MTB) manages to survive within the strong fortress of the granuloma has come recently. How does it suppress the immune action of the surrounding cells? The answer, given by Dr. Gobardhan Das and colleagues from Delhi, is a big surprise. These researchers find that MTB recruits, of all things, stem cells from the infected body, and uses it as a shield or the “Kavacha Kundala” of the type that Karna in the Mahabharata had.

Dr. Gobardhan Das is an immunologist, who trained earlier at IMTECH Chandigarh and Yale in the US before joining the International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) in Delhi.

Here, he was encouraged to work in the group on TB. The results of this work appear in the December 7, 2010 issue of PNAS.

The group first looked at the differences in the way the immunity-providing T cells of healthy and TB-infected mice behave.

The latter divide (actually multiply) far slower than the former. And they found the reason was that the tissue of the infected mice (from where they got the T cells) contained another cell type, while the healthy ones did not. And the mystery cells were actually one type (termed mesenchymal) of stem cells coming from the bone marrow of the mouse!

Huge surprise

This was huge surprise. We know stem cells are helpful ones that divide and produce many other cells types that go to make tissues and organs of the body. What are they doing near the infection?

Now, Das and group turned from mouse to man (actually five women) and studied the granulomas of these patients. Here again they found the presence of mesenchymal stem cells, and these were located between the infecting TB bacterial cells and the body's T cells of the granuloma.

Protective armour

Here then is the protective armour of the pathogen. The wily bug recruits an important family of cells from the body as its hostage for survival. Sir Walter Scott's words above appear to ring true for MTB.

What role is the stem cell playing there? The group shows that as it is sandwiched between the bug and the T cells, it produces a burst of molecular fireworks, in the form of the gas nitric oxide (formula NO), and the molecule called TGF-beta.

The former cuts down the number of bug cells and T-cells, the latter inhibits the action of T cells.

Surprising role

It would thus seem that the stem cells act as the UN peace keeping forces, keeping both adversaries in check. Here then is another, surprising role, for stem cells.

The ICGEB group ends their paper in PNAS stating that these findings identify mesenchymal stem cells as potential targets for therapeutic intervention in tuberculosis.

But I worry about what side effects might arise when one does this. Recall that the word stem has multiple meanings. As you stem the activity of a stem cell, will you not stem its stemness too? Is that good?
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

Indian firms grab 34% of SA govt's AIDS drug order
Indian companies have bagged 34.3 per cent of the AIDS drugs supply contracts announced by the South African government last week. The anti-retroviral drug tender floated by South Africa is the largest of its kind in the world.

Of the Rs 2,831 crore worth order for anti-retroviral drugs, about Rs 970 crore have come to four Indian companies primarily through the joint venture (JV) entities set up by Ranbaxy and Cipla
, the South African Health Ministry has stated.While Ranbaxy’s South African JV Sonke Pharmaceuticals bagged a supply contract that comes to 21.9 per cent (over Rs 600 crore) of the total tender value, Cipla-Medpro cornered 5.1 per cent (about Rs 145 crore) share. The other two firms are Strides Acrolab (4.2 per cent or approximately Rs 118 crore) and Aurobindo Pharma (3.1 per cent or approximately Rs 90 crore).

On the whole, 10 firms won the tenders, the supplies for which will begin from January 1, 2011 and go on till December 31, 2012.

With 40 per cent share, South African firm Aspen Pharmacare claimed the highest pie. Ranbaxy’s JV is the second in the list. Ranbaxy will manufacture the medicines from its South African and Indian facilities, a company statement said.

The institutional supplies in overseas countries are increasingly becoming a major business model for Indian medicine exporters as more countries, including UK and Europe, are looking at reducing their healthcare costs. South Africa had succeeded in bringing down the cost of its ARV drug procurement by 53.1 per cent by making the tenders more competitive
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

First Phase of 'Healthy Tamilnadu' Survey Completes
About 10 per cent of the 2.5 crore people over 30 years, tested as part of the “Nalamaana Tamizhagam” {Healthy Tamilnadu} scheme were found to be at high risk for diabetes and hypertension.

The first phase of the scheme, which has just been completed, involved ranking the participants (over 30 years and from rural areas) according to the Indian Diabetes Risk Score (IDRS). The participants are asked five questions, and given a score against it. The lower the score, the greater is their risk.

The parameters are age (35 years, 35-50 years, 50 plus years), family history of diabetes (father, mother, or both), physical activity, and waist measurement (under 80 cm for women and 90 cm for men). Developed by the Madras Diabetes Research Foundation and Dr. Mohan's Diabetes Specialities Centre, the IDRS estimates the risk of diabetes and hypertension among those it is administered to.

“We have found that at this stage that about 10 per cent of the people in rural areas who are above the age of 30 are at risk for diabetes and/or hypertension,” he explained.

“They have been referred to the nearby primary health centre for proper tests, including a Glucose Tolerance Test for diabetes. If they test positive again, they will be put on treatment, and will be provided counselling.”

Camps have begun to be organised at the Primary Health Centres (PHCs) to conduct the follow-up tests to these persons. V.K. Subburaj, Principal Secretary, Health, said, “Once we get these figures we will know for sure about the true picture of community prevalence of both diabetes and hypertension in rural areas. Both these, we must remember, are a risk for cardiac disease as well. So it is important to identify people early and put them on regimens to prevent complications.”
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

Global HIV patients get India boost vs Abbot
India has rejected a drug patent application of a US multi-national pharma company, Abbot Laboratories, paving way for easy access to an important life-saving medication for HIV patients across the globe.
The decision to reject the patent application on the important combination drug, Lopinavir/Ritonavir filed by Abbot Laboratories was given by the Indian patent office here during the weekend and it is a major victory to millions of HIV-positive patients around the globe, according to NGOs working with affected patients.

The Indian patent office has put a halt to the multi-national Abbott Laboratories patenting and said it was not an invention.

"India, the world's leading supplier of affordable medicines, can now supply this drug to patients across the globe who are desperately waiting for treatment.

This combination drug is considered to be the frontline of defense for HIV positive patients who have failed to stay healthy with the first round of medicines available currently," Tahir M Amin, Director of Initiative for Medicines, Access & Knowledge (I-MAK), one of those who initiated legal action against the US company said in a communication from New York.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Isn't this the case where the US secretary of commerce sent an email to commerce minister Anand Sharma, hoping that the "right thing" would be done?
nithish
BRFite

Post by nithish »

putnanja wrote:
Isn't this the case where the US secretary of commerce sent an email to commerce minister Anand Sharma, hoping that the "right thing" would be done?
nah, that was a different drug (Tenofovir) from Gilead Sciences

here's the article:
A powerful push for US firm’s patent
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Indigeneous cochlear implant from DRDO
An indigenous cochlear implant device, costing under Rs.50,000, is likely to be ready by the end of 2011, former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam has said.

Efforts are on by the DRDO to develop such a device.

While there have been substantial improvements in cochlear implants made by international manufacturers, the cost remains high and they remain out of reach of most people.

Currently, the device costs between Rs.6 lakh and 8 lakh, he said, speaking at the 63rd annual conference of the Association of Otolaryngologists of India, organised by its Tamil Nadu branch.

A couple of more lakhs would have to be spent on operation and therapy costs.

While in the West these costs are borne by insurance, in the absence of such an arrangement in India, it would be essential to develop a cost-effective model on mission mode.

The government could also consider waiving levies on import of the device.

Mr. Kalam stressed on the need to train sufficient number of professionals to meet the demand.

There were an estimated one million profoundly deaf persons in the country. In addition, there were over 1.2 million with severe hearing disability, 0.9 million with moderate, and 7.1 million people with mild hearing disability.

The need was for approximately 85,000 professionals to help persons with hearing impairment, while only 5000 people were trained to do so.

Speaking about the Sound Hearing 2030 Mission, supported by a number of healthcare institutions in the country, and the WHO, Mr. Kalam suggested a mobile speech and hearing van tour rural areas in order to facilitate medical care for all with hearing impairments.

Attention should also be paid to noise pollution, one of the most important causes of deafness, he said and urged the association members to take this up seriously.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

It's 2011, but the 2010 SRS bulletin (measures IMR) is not out yet. What gives?
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

School Sanitation
As part of the Total Sanitation Campaign, the Centre has asked state governments to address the issue of menstrual hygiene among school girls. As part of this programme, United Nations International Children's Education Fund (UNICEF) has taken the initiative on School Sanitation and Health Hygiene Education (SSHE) in Krishnagiri District.

This programme is being implemented on a pilot basis in Krishnagiri for the first time in the country in association with the women self-help groups (SHGs) affiliated to Krishnagiri-based NGO Integrated Village Development Programme (IVDP). IVDP has recently signed a memorandum with 32 government and aided schools in the district to supply napkins at a concessional rate to the students.

Napkins (each packet contains eight pieces) were supplied to these schools at Rs. 20 a packet against the MRP rate of Rs. 25. IVDP has started supplying the napkins from January 3 to schools against a demand note by the heads of the institutions through the SHGs. The money will be collected from the schools by the SHGs once in a fortnight or a month.

The student counsellors have been given a booklet in Tamil, English and Telugu on maintaining hygiene.
This is a very important and laudable scheme. Not many girls' schools bother about menstrual hygiene; nor do they advise these young girls about how they should take care of themselves. Our schools, even in urban centres, lack good sanitation facilities.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Lancet Editor apologizes for naming superbug after Delhi
The editor of The Lancet, Richard Horton, apologised on Tuesday for naming an antibiotic-resistant superbug after New Delhi. It was an “error,” he said.

“It was an error and I apologise for it. I think it should be renamed, but it should be up to the microbiologists [who discovered the superbug].”

Dr. Horton admitted that the name stigmatised the city or the region.
This apology is late but welcome nevertheless.

On another note, Lancet has also criticized the arrest of Binayak Sen. This again betrays the prejudice Lancet has against India. Lancet has no business to air opinions on this issue as Binayak Sen has been found guilty after a due process of law. Besides, Lancet has exceeded its brief. Another apology is due.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Tashkent girl gets a new lease of life
Ms. Kamola underwent five surgeries on her bladder in Tashkent to correct a congenital problem that caused urine to flow back into the kidneys.

“From birth, she did not have the sub mucosal tunnel in the bladder through which urine flowed,” the urologists said.

Surgeons in Tashkent tried to create the tunnel. But the repeated operations reduced the size of the bladder. The problem worsened as the bladder could hold only 30 ml of urine, against the normal capacity of 350 ml, Dr. Kandasami said.

This led to the tubes being inserted into the kidneys from a little above the waist to drain urine.

Dr. Kandasami, who is the Medical Director of the hospital, said that in a 10-hour surgery, a portion of the big intestine and the small intestine were cut to form a pouch, and this was stitched to the original bladder in order to create more space to hold urine.

“Now, she has normal functioning of the bladder."
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Meeting the health challenge - Edit in The Hindu
India has a staggering burden of chronic disease arising from a variety of causes, but there is encouraging evidence to show that it can reduce both death and disability through effective low-cost measures. The key to successful intervention lies in learning from good pilot programmes and making them integral to health-care protocols in both public and private sector institutions. {The acceptance of HbA1C testing for detection of diabetes by WHO is an example of Indian innovation} A new series of articles published by The Lancet on universalising health coverage in India highlights the challenge that lies ahead. In the next two decades, chronic diseases resulting from cardiovascular and metabolic disorders, respiratory conditions, mental illness, and cancer are expected to cast a long shadow over national ambitions for economic growth in terms of healthy life-years lost. The section of the population that is likely to suffer the most will be those over 45. They may find the threat of infectious and parasitic diseases reducing with better standards of living but the threat of chronic diseases will increase. This is because the incidence of hypertension, poor control of blood glucose, tobacco use, and abuse of alcohol is expected to rise. The imperative therefore is to scale up the pilot programmes that have shown good results at prevention.

Last year the central government approved two key measures — the testing of adults for chronic diseases, and an awareness campaign on healthy behaviour — as part of an integrated national programme for prevention and control of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes. A lot more needs to be done structurally to align policies with disease reduction goals. Regulation of unhealthy foods to reduce high calorie and salt content can mitigate the risk of diabetes and hypertension but this agenda is not making speed. Also, the unhealthy effects of energy-dense foods are compounded by negative changes in the urban environment. This experience shows that an assessment of the health effects of macroeconomic policies must be made mandatory. Achieving a drastic reduction in tobacco use must be made a national priority in the fight against cancer. The State health ministers, who met recently in Hyderabad, have done well to recognise the need to curb both smoking and smokeless forms of tobacco. But even with modified lifestyles, a medicalised approach to prevention will be needed. There are examples in this area to show that population-level testing for impaired blood glucose and hypertension, followed by a protocol of lifestyle modification and low-cost drug therapy, can stop disease progression. Given such clear evidence, the campaign against chronic disease must move into high gear.
SandeepA
BRFite

Post by SandeepA »

I am curious about Himalaya Herbal Healthcare. This is one company that has grown phenomenally over the past few years claiming to be a Ayurvedic drug provider with solutions to everything from hairfall and dandruff to Diabetes etc. Who owns this company, is their research genuine? Any herbal drug is usually irresistable to most Indians given our ancient roots so I am not surprised by the companies success but am curious about the research and the effectiveness of their products.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Infant Mortality Rate shows decline
The Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) in India has come down to 50 (deaths per 1,000 live births) from 53, showing a reduction of three points as compared to 2008, and eight points since 2005, when the national average was 58.

The latest data released by the Registrar-General of India (RGI) in its Sample Registration System for the calendar year of 2009 shows a nine-point decline in rural IMR during 2005-2009 compared to six points in cities and towns.

The IMR is the lowest in Goa at 11, though it was 10 in 2008, followed by Kerala at 12.

The worst performers are Madhya Pradesh at 67, Orissa at 65, Uttar Pradesh at 63, and Assam at 61. In Tamil Nadu, the IMR has come down from 31 in 2008 to 28 in 2009.

The States and Union Territories that have recorded a four-point decline in the IMR in 2009 compared to 2008 are Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Orissa, Rajasthan, U.P., the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Daman and Diu, and Lakshadweep.

The States that recorded a three-point decline in 2009 compared to 2008 are Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttarakhand, and Puducherry.

The government will now focus on nine not-so-well performing States where the IMR is still above the national average of 50 — these include U.P., M.P., Rajasthan, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Orissa, Uttarakhand, and Assam.

Importantly, the NRHM {National Rural Health Mission} will also encourage home-based deliveries instead of focussing only on institutional deliveries, as it has been realised that several areas are still inaccessible and lack infrastructure.

To make the deliveries and post and pre-natal care better, the government is training the Accredited Social Health Activities (ASHAs) in reproductive and child health care, Mr. Azad said.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Operation theatre apparel benefit from SITRA research
The South India Textile Research Association (SITRA) has conducted studies on cut-resistant fabrics and use of nano finishes for anti-microbial and blood repellent operation theatre apparels.

An official of the association told The Hindu that scientists worked on the products for about a year and a half. Apparels used in operation theatres were sterilised regularly.

Sterilisation

Repeated sterilisation might reduce the special properties of the product if it was not finished properly. With the use of nano finishes, blood would not penetrate the apparel and the properties would not be lost due to sterilisation. This helped avoid cross infection.

SITRA scientists found that application of nano finish was able to control the bacterial growth on operation theatre apparels even after 50 home launderings.

Breathability

It also helped improve the breathability in terms of water vapour resistance, air permeability and wicking compared to fabrics treated with normal finishes.

In another project, the association had attempted to produce cut-resistant and puncture- proof fabric. This could be used by sportspersons, the official said.

Spun yarns

Different types of cut-resistant fabrics using core spun yarns were produced. Spectra core yarn and Zylon core yarn fabrics exhibited high levels of blade-cut resistance, puncture resistance and abrasion resistance. It may be noted that the textile industry was involved in these projects also.

The Union Ministry of Textiles had identified SITRA as a Centre of Excellence for medical textiles. The centre was developed at a cost of Rs. 10 crore for product development, testing, prototype development and consultancy. Most of the machinery was installed and the centre was likely to be commissioned in a couple of months, the official said.