Chennai floods

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Re: Chennai floods

Post by SwamyG »

prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

Is there a number where we can request authorities to check if things are alright? My friend's family was last contacted and was on the upper floor but there has been no contact since. This was yesterday. Not reachable by phone today.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Prahaar, here are some helpline numbers: http://www.timesnow.tv/Chennai-Rains-He ... 483264.cms
prahaar
BRF Oldie

Post by prahaar »

Thanks. I will check that out.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

kish wrote:Oh God!! It started raining again in sub-urban chennai
not good at all!
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

SwamyG wrote:For some reason the takleef of millions seem to have been brushed aside.
Saar, this is what I was trying to express in Nukkad, when two mods descended on me with logic :mrgreen:. What to do onlee, had to beat a hasty retreat :(( :((. But such events defy logic, and my ask was just a simple ack from the GoI to the ~100 people already dead and more marooned in the previous spells. At least now, GoI has openly swung into action, so no more complaints from me. But there was a time last month when people had wondered if GoI also based their decisions by watching the so-called "national" media :lol:

Anyway, some more pics:

arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

People trying to help:
Prashanth ‏@itisprashanth 5h5 hours ago

children from Cambridge school , avinashi packing 25000 chapatis from afternoon without complainin #chennairains

Siddharth seemed to have done quite a bit, lots of kudos on SM.
Joy Crizildaa ‏@joy_stylist 43m43 minutes ago

Massive respect to @Actor_Siddharth n @RJ_Balaji who tuk ground wrk n serve foods for 1000's of ppl ! #chennairains

Last edited by arshyam on 04 Dec 2015 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Rescue efforts:

Troll Cinema ;-) ‏@Troll_Cinema 7h7 hours ago

Happy to see that the lady rescued frm Ramapuram has delivered twins! Beautiful precious babies!
#CHENNAIRAINS
shravanp
BRF Oldie

Post by shravanp »

It's extremely heartening to see the twin babies and mother being rescued.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It looks the water level has reached the fuselage of jumbo jets/airbus from the second airport pic
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

I wonder if even massa style drainage would have saved Chennai from this deluge. Stay safe my TN biraders.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

you can't say that just by looking at the deluge. as they say, little drops of water make a mighty ocean.

now don't let bandwagon chalta hai attitude be driven after seeing your post.

let us safely assume now, that MASSAN STYLE DRAINAGE WILL HELP CHENNAI from this type of deluge in the future.

It is not just about one link or drain here or there. It is a systemic correction that is needed and designed after.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

LokeshC wrote:I wonder if even massa style drainage would have saved Chennai from this deluge. Stay safe my TN biraders.
Doubt it, SaiK saar's hope notwithstanding. All systems are designed for a particular capacity, which is based on averages. Anything exceeding the average will lead to flooding. Here, we had 3 times the average amount of rainfall in the wettest month of the year (source: IMD Chennai), that too in a span of a week. The best thing to do then is to ensure the flooded waters drain as quickly as possible. Admittedly, there is work needed on that front, and massa style infra will help that drainage. Won't prevent flooding though. The same massa infra does not prevent flooding everywhere, does it? I remember this one instance very clearly, when the interstate I-5 went under due to a local tropical storm. One might also want to look at the amount of rainfall that caused the flooding and compare with the stats below.

Re-posting the stats from the previous page to give an idea about capacity:

Code: Select all

Month            Average (cm)         Received (cm)
Nov               40                        108.8 
Dec               19                        27.5 (Dec 1 alone, Tambaram recd. 49cm on the same day)
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

arshyam wrote:
SwamyG wrote:For some reason the takleef of millions seem to have been brushed aside.
Saar, this is what I was trying to express in Nukkad, when two mods descended on me with logic :mrgreen:. What to do onlee, had to beat a hasty retreat :(( :((. But such events defy logic, and my ask was just a simple ack from the GoI to the ~100 people already dead and more marooned in the previous spells. At least now, GoI has openly swung into action, so no more complaints from me. But there was a time last month when people had wondered if GoI also based their decisions by watching the so-called "national" media :lol:
It makes me wonder if it was the proverbial frog being slowly boiled in water. Following friends and family in Whatsapp group, the rain and its problems were being discussed in mid November itself. It was bad per what I read on the messages; there was a photo of a snake sitting on a toilet. I thought it was photoshoed. Lots of jokes were going around about the plight of people. Schools and offices were being closed, but lots of humor was still around - there was not a sense of panic. There were 100 deaths by this time.

Slowly things started changing, each rain brought more problems. I think the last rain tipped it over. You need to know there is Save-Modi-Brigade in every corner of this World :rotfl:. So if you ranted in nukkad, your choice of words did not go properly I guess. I tweeted a few times to Sri Modi Garu and his office onlee. Nammala moodichandu avalo dhan.

Somebody in FB, had posted a tweet of Actor Siddarth who called out the national attention. The actual Madrasis are still not blaming anyone for the most part.

The total has reached 269 deaths so far. I cannot imagine cases where water is well past the ground floor.

Stay dry, stay safe.
Last edited by SwamyG on 04 Dec 2015 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

arshyam and others. The Big Data here should guide further designs.

I have become like Modiji.. I'm not going to give up on this saga!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Got this from NDTV. Wow, is this real and the current havoc?

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

arshyam wrote: Re-posting the stats from the previous page to give an idea about capacity:
[/code]
As per skymetweather.com: In just 3 hours, from 8:30 am IST on December 1, Chennai recorded 73 mm of rain.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

This guy who would have been called a failure by many people, who had troubled childhood, is now teaming with Siddarth & Chinmayi Sripaada to help people help others. Wow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ_Balaji
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

SwamyG wrote:Got this from NDTV. Wow, is this real and the current havoc?

http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/uploadedpic ... 790029.jpg
Something doesn't jell correct here. Is it trees on top of it? Or is it my eyes need a doc check?
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

what a voice chinmayi has! god bless her. hope she can sing for this flood that can easily donate 100 crores.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

The Adyar river runs inside the western side of the airport. Part of the secondary runway is actually is over the runway
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ELM channels have started blame game even while rescue efforts are underway.

And interrupt military officers to get sound bytes.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

interesting to note here, people are moving both directions.

The genius Ilayaraj on rescue mission

044 - 25393514
044 - 25363792
044 - 25615025 (Chennai Police Helpline)
Last edited by SaiK on 04 Dec 2015 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

How much ever well meaned, activists should stop writing in BBC types of organizations: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34992004

Why wash dirty laundry in public laundromats? BBC just claps its hands in glee to parade India's takleef.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Telugu Actors who donated to Chennai floods so far as per reports

Prabhas - 50 Lakhs
Allu Arjun - 25 Lakhs
Mahesh Babu - 10 Lakhs
Jr.NTR - 10 Lakhs
Kalyanram - 5 lakhs
Ravi Teja - 5 lakhs
Sai dharam tej - 3 lakhs
Tarun Tej - 3 lakhs
Sandeep Kishan - provided food for 5000 people and still involved in live action helping people
Small time comedian Sampoornesh Babu - 50,000 rupees .He is the first to initiated the donations towards the relief camp and asking other cine colleagues to help for the cause.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

I am feeling extremely sad and depressed looking at the loss of lives and destruction.

I am not able to connect to one of the cousins in Chennai. All accounted for except him and nobody knows where that fellow is! Last was in Tambaram which has been severely affected. Just hoping for the best for everybody.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Disha hope he is well

I lost my cousin to the mumbai floods

for some god forsaken reason - decided to make it back home by foot and fell into an open manhole -

left behind 2 small children

Its best to stay put in times like these
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Surya wrote: for some god forsaken reason - decided to make it back home by foot and fell into an open manhole -

left behind 2 small children

Its best to stay put in times like these
Just sad :(
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

pray, he is heard disha. so far, everyone I know directly is safe now. I haven't heard from few I normally don't keep in touch. we just hope, this rain stops for now. but, it might be highly unlikely seeing this radar map
http://www.accuweather.com/en/world/satellite /zoom in.

unless some heavy winds change the direction away from Chennai down south.

surya, sad to know.. that is something we have to tell. and also note down for future designs. No drains channels/manhole on the roads but only over the drains and clearly marked like within 4 feet from the edges. this standardization is needed so that, everyone knows where these manholes can be.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

Disha
Which part of Tambaram. The eastern side is pretty ok. The IAF station on the eastern side is from where rescue is being cordinatedEven on the western side Army has rescued a lot of people. Mobile network and power is down but death toll is very limited in that area.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 298237039
The issue now is loss of livelihood, essential commodities and safe drinking water.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

live wires and open manholes are a nightmare in mumbai floods
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Are the bridges over Adayar functional (Saidapet, Kotturpuram and ADayar-near Theosophical Society)?
There is a picture showing Saidpet bridge was crested- meaing all Mount Road traffic would stop at Saidapet.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

as a parent I would not imagine staying safely in some office and leaving my wife and kids to fend for themselves if they were in a vulnerable location. maybe thats the thought process he was in....RIP.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

my dad used to educate me that if you see even a small whirlpool, stay away from that spot. most likely it is an open drain or manhole.
----------
another bad thing about these natural disasters are that normally insurance don't cover it! one has to buy special insurance for natural disasters.
Sridhar K
BRFite

Post by Sridhar K »

SriKumar wrote:Are the bridges over Adayar functional (Saidapet, Kotturpuram and ADayar-near Theosophical Society)?
There is a picture showing Saidpet bridge was crested- meaing all Mount Road traffic would stop at Saidapet.
Saidapet and Kotturpuram are closed but the Adyar bridge has been operational all along.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

Thanks. I had heard Kotturpuram was flooded so expecting that the bridge may have been crested.
So, anyone coming from south of Adayar river will have to go all the way to the beach road to cross over to North Chennai. (Its a shame K'puram is closed...it was the most recent of the 3 bridges).
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

from my reading, even knee deep swift flowing river water can knock a man over. anything more and you are surely down for the count.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^ I have seen atleast 2 videos, a very recent one (perhaps on BRF) where ankle-deep but fast flowing water (about 10 mph) washed a motor cycle off the road into a river. :( ...totally shocked me, no warning on the video, nothing.
Anything more than 5 inches to 10 inches of fast flowing water is dangerous to walk in, or even in a car. (Static water is a different story...more manageable.).
Last edited by SriKumar on 04 Dec 2015 08:54, edited 1 time in total.