Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
D Roy
BRFite

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by D Roy »

Yeah,
It bothers me as well. Why the hell do they persist with these ill fitting helmets? The same with the BPJs as well.
I think only the NSG has some ballistic helmets that actually fits our boys.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

If you look at some of the NSG pics you will see they wear their helmets with balaclavas and comm. gear. However, even with all that, these helmet sizes look way too big. I thought Tata was producing these helmets locally? :-?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Could they have been conned?

From
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2007/09 ... he-soldie/

But at 16 pounds, on top of an already crushing 60-plus-pound load for grunts, the gear just wasn’t worth the weight. The Army brass wasn’t exactly thrilled with Land Warrior, either — it yanked every last dime to fund the get-ups. The half-billion-dollar, 15-year project looked dead.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Hi.....Since there has some discussion going on reagrding NSG's looks, I would also like to put my 2 cents :)

To some extent I agree with Dmurphy. I believe most of us agree with him (If we don't want to acknowledge that then it's fine). I think that NSG guys look better in berets. Well of course they cannot wear that in combat. But if we see their photos at the raising day or any other casual photo then they are no less than any of their western counterparts.

Here is the video of M.S dhoni visiting NSG's Manesar campus. Look at the guys when they are lined up to welcome Dhoni. Only god knows what will happen to that unfortunate person who will come in their way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz7FjFzHdY

Thanks
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

thanks for representing most of us and lets move on since this is for pictures.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

sunny y wrote:To some extent I agree with Dmurphy. I believe most of us agree with him (If we don't want to acknowledge that then it's fine).
Dude, i appreciate your support, but please let that issue die a silent death. Or I will die a noisy one here on BRF :D
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Check out this photo. This is from Mr. Ajai Shukla's blog.....

http://i50.tinypic.com/2z9i9gj.jpg

This camo looks like the OFB's new desert camo. I haven't seen any IA soldier wearing it.

This is the kind of gear that our sodiers need (BPJ's covering neck area very well, knee pads). Unfortunately I haven't seen any soldier wearing such kind of helmets or BPJ's. The latest embarassment came after seeing the photos of Force 1 commandos wearing those wierd helmets. :evil: Well atleast now they have helmets :cry:

What's the point in decorating a dummy every year in Expos. I mean is this simply to generate curiosty among general public that one day our soldiers will have this.

Thanks
Last edited by Rahul M on 27 Nov 2009 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please do not post large images inline.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Surya & Dmurphy

Agreed. Let this issue close. My apologies if I did something wrong.

Thanks
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

sunny y wrote:My apologies if I did something wrong.
NP
sunny y wrote:Check out this photo. This is from Mr. Ajai Shukla's blog
Haven't seen it before, but I think its a representation of the FINSAS for the IA being proposed by the DRDO. Could you provide the link to the article please?

And since we're on the topic: French DGA orders 16,454 FELIN soldier modernisation systems We can discuss further on this on the International Army news thread.
sunny y
BRFite

Post by sunny y »

Hi Dmurphy...I think you are right. This looks more like FINSAS work. By the way, here is the link to that article.

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2008/05/ ... llion.html

This photo was used as a reference in this article. Otherwise there is no realtion between this photo & the article.

And Wiki says that DRDO will develop only Multi caliber rifle & gernade.
What about the comm equipment ?? I seriously wish they are no considering awarding this to Thales. i believe DRDO in collaboration with Tata or BEL can produce something good.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

sunny y wrote:Check out this photo. This is from Mr. Ajai Shukla's blog.....

http://i50.tinypic.com/2z9i9gj.jpg

This is the kind of gear that our sodiers need (BPJ's covering neck area...)
You mean like these?

http://i49.tinypic.com/70evz4.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rxjq4n.jpg
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

shiv wrote:Could they have been conned?
Yes. The US armed forces have mostly transitioned away from PASGTs since early 2000s. The picture you showed is actually one of the newer replacements (notice less neck coverage). A few friends who have used it like the increased situational awareness and closer fit it gives (yes there were fitting issues for most PASGT users). I don't know the full architecture of the IA patka, but if you add a solid top-protection it may become a pretty useful battle-helmet.
shiv wrote:Always Import. Imported is always better no? Indian heads should grow to fit American helmets. Americas greatness is reflected in bigger helmets and if India wants to become great we have to learn to grow our heads to fit those helmets.
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

From Chindu
RAISING DAY: Newly raised first ever women contingent of Border Security Force (BSF) during raising day Parade in New Delhi. Photo: Sandeep Saxena
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

^^^Another day another camo! Maybe this is part of the "Winter Collection" ! :roll:

When will the fashion parade end ??
Last edited by Brando on 29 Nov 2009 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Why cant we just issue a new digital fractal camo for all our ground forces instead of constantly coming out with new 3 color types?
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Double post.
Last edited by Akshut on 30 Nov 2009 03:34, edited 1 time in total.
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

RoyG wrote:Why cant we just issue a new digital fractal camo for all our ground forces instead of constantly coming out with new 3 color types?
Maybe because different terrains = different camo. And also India is a land of geographical diversity.

BTW Its the best till now IMO.
RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

Wouldn't it be better to have just 3 digital designs (wooded, desert, and urban)? Marpat only comes in wooded and desert but it was shown to be more effective than the 3 color type. Also did better in IR tests.

"The pattern is formed by a number of small rectangular pixels of color. In theory, it is a far more effective camouflage than standard uniform patterns because it mimics the dappled textures and rough boundaries found in natural settings. This is caused by how the human eye interacts with pixelated images. It is also known as the "digital pattern" or "digi-cammies" because of its micropattern (pixels) rather than the old macropattern (big blobs)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARPAT
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

RoyG wrote:Why cant we just issue a new digital fractal camo for all our ground forces instead of constantly coming out with new 3 color types?
The Indian Army's new pattern is optimized to the average North Indian woodland terrain (where most of the operations are expected); it is very much like the French FELIN system developed for Central Europe. There is also a desert variation of the same (seen only a few senior officers wear it so far). Then of course there is the old palm-frond pattern on rifle green which is being phased out. That is it for the Army.

It makes perfect sense that the constabulary forces should have different uniforms than the military forces. Most of the proliferation of new patterns we see is in the constabulary forces, which have multiple decision making commands... of course the MHA can probably step in and rationalize all of them, but still they will have to be different from the military forces.
ParGha
BRFite

Post by ParGha »

RoyG wrote:Wouldn't it be better to have just 3 digital designs (wooded, desert, and urban)? Marpat only comes in wooded and desert but it was shown to be more effective than the 3 color type. Also did better in IR tests.
RoyG,
MARPAT has not seen extensive combat; and neither have seen industrial-scale warfare - so how can it be show that one is "better" than other, or either is any good? A camo's measure is not just in how well it hides you... but also how safe it is, how comfortable it is, how it adjusts to evolving field conditions, and how easily and cheaply can it be manufactured. The best camos in terms of "effectiveness" (i.e. hiding) are ghillie suits - but they are hardly practical for anyone other than small sniper/artillery observer/combat controller teams. The simple Khaki has by far been the most successful camo in history. Trade offs are made between a number of factors when a professional force decides to adopt a particular pattern. What may be a priority for the US or Canada may not be the same for India or France.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Guys, this is the Misc Pix thread... please keep discussions to a minimum and only post pictures with brief comments. Thanx. There are plenty of other threads with discussions which can be launched with a link to the relevant picture.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

Sorry for posting this 3 days late.

Indian Navy prepares for Navy Day
Photos by Mandar Deodhar
Source : India Today

India Navy personnel practice for Navy Day celebrations near the Gateway of India in Mumbai on Thursday, December 3, 2009. Navy Day is celebrated on December 4 every year to commemorate the Indian Navy's successful attack on the Karachi harbour during the 1971 Indo-Pak War.

Navy commandos demonstarte their skills by dropping from a helicopter during practice for Navy Day celebrations near the Gateway of India in Mumbai on Thursday, December 3, 2009.

Source : MSN

Marine commandos of the Indian navy display their skills during the annual Navy Day celebrations at the Gateway of India in Mumbai on Thursday. The Navy has also placed orders for 34 ships with Indian shipyards and another six with foreign shipyards. AP

A sailor mans a machine gun aboard the INS Tabar during an exercise in the Arabian Sea off the Porbandar coast. The Indian Navy ships INS Vidyut (F48), INS Betwa (F39) and INS Tabar (F44) participated in an exercise during Indian Navy Week. AFP

An Indian Navy Chetak helicopter flies during an exercise in the Arabian Sea off the Porbandar coast. The Indian Navy operates more than 155 vessels, including the aircraft carrier INS Viraat, along with jet fighters. AFP

Sailors stand on deck aboard the INS Tabar during an exercise in the Arabian Sea off the Porbandar coast. AFP

The Indian Navy ship INS Vidyut (K48) is seen during an exercise in the Arabian Sea off the Porbandar coast. The Navy is acquiring a number of platforms -- frigates, destroyers, corvettes, offshore patrol vessels, mini counter vessels, fast interceptors and tankers -- while finalising design for the landing platform dock on the lines of INS Jalashwa (USS Trenton). AFP
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Avinash R wrote: Image
Sailors stand on deck aboard the INS Tabar during an exercise in the Arabian Sea off the Porbandar coast. AFP
What on earth is that hose that hangs under the barrel?
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

shiv wrote:
Avinash R wrote: <image>
My wild guess: It could be an infra red targetting system that one can use at night like that in an M-16 rifle.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

^^^ why would that have a long hose attached ?

my wild guess would be a channel for liquid coolant, it's a rapid fire gun, it could need some cooling. but then I don't think any modern gun uses such a thing.

other two options, electrical wiring or gas outlet(unlikely IMO).
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

Fume extractor?
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Muzzle velocity feedback cable
AnantD
BRFite

Post by AnantD »

They are for water cooling/liquid cooling. I remember reading an article an OTO rapiud fire naval guns that were water cooled and you could see the hose hanging underneath. The water jacket around the gun must be quite thin and the coolant circulation must be at a high rate when firing.

http://navy.org.za/pages/melara76.html
Last edited by AnantD on 06 Dec 2009 23:29, edited 2 times in total.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^Link not working...404 Error
pgbhat
BRF Oldie

Post by pgbhat »

From Daylife
SRINAGAR, KASHMIR, INDIA - DECEMBER 06: Indian Border Security Force (BSF) soldiers stand in formation during their passing out parade on December 06, 2009 in Humhama, on the outskirts of Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian administered Kashmir State, India. 665 new trained recruits of the Indian paramilitary Border Security Force constables took oath to serve India by working in the force during their passing out parade. The recruits have successfully completed their 36 weeks of basic training which involved physical fitness, weapons handling, map reading, counter-insurgency operations and human rights. These recruits will join Indian soldiers to fight militants in Kashmir, a spokesman of the paramilitary BSF Said.
New recruits of the Indian paramilitary Border Security Force march as they carry Indian national flag during a passing out parade ceremony in Humhama, on the outskirts of Srinagar, India, Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009. 665 recruits formally inducted into the BSF, will join Indian soldiers fighting separatist Islamic guerrillas in Kashmir to help end an insurgency that started in 1989.
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

This is one of the image I uploaded on Imageshack. I got them from the Imperial War Muzeum online site http://www.iwm.org.uk
There are tons more at the above website. Visit the website. Look for photographs and do a search for "Indian Army". You have pictures dating from the Indian Mutiny(1857).
Avram
Riza Zaman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Riza Zaman »

Avinash R wrote: Image
A sailor mans a machine gun aboard the INS Tabar during an exercise in the Arabian Sea off the Porbandar coast. The Indian Navy ships INS Vidyut (F48), INS Betwa (F39) and INS Tabar (F44) participated in an exercise during Indian Navy Week. AFP
Looks like the IN is replacing the scooter helmets, good
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^ When did IN ever have scooter helmets? Is this going to start the annual B-R scooter helmet debate? :mrgreen:

What is the 3rd MARCO doing? :shock:
Avinash R wrote: http://i50.tinypic.com/2u7x7k5.jpg
Marine commandos of the Indian navy display their skills during the annual Navy Day celebrations at the Gateway of India in Mumbai on Thursday. The Navy has also placed orders for 34 ships with Indian shipyards and another six with foreign shipyards. AP
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Raja Bose wrote:What is the 3rd MARCO doing? :shock:
Thats not a Marco, thats a bird! :mrgreen:
Anurag
BRFite

Post by Anurag »

LOL :rotfl: :rotfl:
It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's a Marco!
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

:rotfl:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

super-mario ! er, MARCO !
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Raja Bose wrote:Is this going to start the annual B-R scooter helmet debate? :mrgreen:
Boseji, nothing to beat our NSG's "Hamara Bajaj" helmets! :mrgreen:

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Aditya G wrote:
Thats not a Marco, thats a bird! :mrgreen:
:oops: Looking back at the pic again, it still uncannily looks like a MARCO executing a swan dive during freefall! The alleged bird's wings look like the lower body and the body of the bird looks like the MARCO's outstretched arms :mrgreen: