Discussion on Indian Special Forces

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
sunny y
BRFite

Re: Discussion on Indian Special Forces

Post by sunny y »

West Bengal to raise elite anti-Maoist force

http://in.news.yahoo.com/32/20100314/10 ... -maoi.html
Modelled on the anti-naxal Greyhound force of Andhra Pradesh, commandos of the new force will receive intense training in counter-guerrilla warfare. The squad will comprise 937 personnel, said a senior police officer, not willing to be quoted. They will also be trained in jungle warfare, like their counterparts in Andhra Pradesh.
Apart from physical and combat training, the force will be shown video footages of Maoist movements, collected by Greyhound officers. This will be done to familiarise them with Maoist techniques, the officer said. The members of this force, tentatively called Counter Insurgency Force (CIF), will also receive combat training from the military
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

A video on the training of the Maharashtra Special Forces:
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

Hi,

I am new on BR tho i have viewed the site for countless years now...I have a few pics left of army SF mostly 22SF when I was with dad(lost most of them when my disk crashed). Would people be interested if I post them. Would I be required to fuzz out the facial features for operatives??... :-?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Or send it to one of the BRF admins for a quick review before they put it

Or send it to me for verifying it with my friends that it is ok (if you trust me )

balaji_b4 a t garam hawa
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

vaibhav.n wrote:Hi,

I am new on BR tho i have viewed the site for countless years now...I have a few pics left of army SF mostly 22SF when I was with dad(lost most of them when my disk crashed). Would people be interested if I post them. Would I be required to fuzz out the facial features for operatives??... :-?
"Would be people be interested if I post them" :rotfl:
Sir, I am virtually drooling to see the pics!! And so are countless BRFites! :D
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Sir-jee,
Kindly never ever ask such haraam questions. BRFites would kill to have a glance at such pics.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Gagan wrote:A video on the training of the Maharashtra Special Forces:
Nice video. But this ain't Force 1. This is the Commando Force "Beat Marshals" which was formed by the Mumbai police when the underworld activity was at its peak in the late 90s. This force IIRC was later disbanded and the ATS was formed.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

vaibhav.n, please correct me if I'm wrong, but is not 22 SF Special Group/part of the Special Group? Please exercise extreme caution with these pics. It would be better to check with your old man before you post these on BRF or on any public forum. IA has been extremely cagey with information related to this formation.

Please listen to advise from Surya.
rkhanna
BRFite

Post by rkhanna »

vaibhav.n, please correct me if I'm wrong, but is not 22 SF Special Group/part of the Special Group?
i dont think so. 22 battalion paras is a sf unit. i think you are reffering to the unofficial term 22 which is used for the SFF/SG.
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

rkhanna wrote:
vaibhav.n, please correct me if I'm wrong, but is not 22 SF Special Group/part of the Special Group?
i dont think so. 22 battalion paras is a sf unit. i think you are reffering to the unofficial term 22 which is used for the SFF/SG.

@rkhanna
There is no Army (SF) unit designated 22. 22SF is the quasi officio name given to SG...actually its..22SF(SG)...dats how it appears even in commendations now! Dnt ask me why its preety sketchy got smthng to do with the last designation being being 21Para(SF) and that the unit is closely organised in the SAS structure with Squadrons et all .Mailing the pics to surya, but would be able to post only a few of them.

@rohitvats
have mailed the pics to surya. Will not be able to post more.
Last edited by vaibhav.n on 28 Mar 2010 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

vaibhav.n wrote: @rkhanna
There is no Army (SF) unit designated 22. 22SF is the quasi officio name given to SG...actually its..22SF(SG)...dats how it appears even in commendations now! Dnt ask me why its preety sketchy got smthng to do with the last designation being being 21Para(SF) and that the unit is closely organised in the SAS structure with Squadrons et all .Mailing the pics to surya, but would be able to post only a few of them.
You should post them in the military pictures thread.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

vaibhav please avoid the sms speak.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

vaibhav.n wrote:
@rkhanna
You might be referring to Establishment 22, which the SFF used to be called during initial days of CIA assistance.
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

Actually vaibhav is right. They are reffered to as 22 SF. I am just posting some thing from the IA site as an example
21. IC-57671 MAJ PAWAN DEEP SINGH BAL, 21 BIHAR

22. IC-57791 MAJ ABHIJEET SINGH, 7 PARA

23. IC-52123 CAPT VELUSWAMY TIRUPATHI, INT, 2 DET EC ISG,(POSTHUMOUS)

24. IC-57219 CAPT UDAI SINGH, PARA, 22 SF

25. IC-57393 CAPT RAKESH PACHORA, ARMD, 5 ASSAM RIF

26. IC-57947 CAPT RAJESH SHARMA, GDRS, 29 RR

27. IC-58252 CAPT PALLIPURAM RAJAMANI VINAYAK, 2 PARA (SF)

28. IC-58296 CAPT KUMAR RANVIJAY, PUNJAB, 37 RR

29. IC-58298 CAPT LALEET KUMAR MOHANTY, ARTY, 9 RR

30. IC-58628 CAPT KAPIL YADAV, 9 PARA (SF)

31. IC-58662 CAPT BINESH NAIR, 2 PARA (SF)
http://indianarmy.nic.in/Site/FormTempl ... OztYMHcDI=
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

vaibhav.n wrote:
@rkhanna

@rohitvats
vaibhav.n, thank you for the consideration. Lot of us fauji kids have access to such information which might be sensitive in nature. But we may not realize it; having grown up with such things around us. Therefore, it is important to exercise caution while discussing such things in public forum.

@rkhanna sahab - 21Para(SF) is the last unit of Parachute Regiment - converted from 21 MLI to Para SF for the North East. There is no 22 Para/Para(SF) Regiment in the Orbat of Indian Army.
Raja Bose wrote: You might be referring to Establishment 22, which the SFF used to be called during initial days of CIA assistance.
Bose babu, vaibhav's explanation is correct. Please read the citation of Major Udai Singh for SC here:

http://majorudaisingh.com/citations.htm
(the site is a treasure trove of pics and offer a glimpse into CI Ops by an elite arm of IA)

It starts with:

SHAURYA CHAKRA
IC-57219 Capt. Udai Singh, SM
PARA/22 SPECIAL FORCES (Posthumous)

He was commisioned into 1 Para(SF) and then volunteered for Special Group(Mavericks)
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

@rohitvats
Surya-saar,

Kindly do the needful censoring and post the pics ASAP. Cant wait to see them ( already in the mood after the superlative pics of IAF man,Sartaj's photoalbum in the other thread)
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

Cant wait for the pics!

So this is now the SFF wing? Earlier it was a winged dagger.

Btw how come this officer is wearing glasses?

rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Aditya G wrote:Cant wait for the pics!

So this is now the SFF wing? Earlier it was a winged dagger.

Image....<SNIP>
That bade is SG and does not apply on the whole to SFF. And which "Winged Dagger" are you referring to? Is there a pic of the same? I hope you're not confusing with the "Balidan Badge" of the Para(SF)

As for the glasses, that is not an uncommon site in the IA...nothing forbades you from wearing the same. Unlike IAF, Ia does not need 6/6 eyesight...
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Got the pics thanks - forwarded them for approval.

will let you know when I hear back.

Regards

Surya
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Surya wrote:Got the pics thanks - forwarded them for approval.

Regards

Surya
I really wish we get to see some of them at least....waiting in anticipation. :|
vaibhav.n
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vaibhav.n »

rohitvats wrote:

Regards

Surya
I really wish we get to see some of them at least....waiting in anticipation. :|

@rohitvats
Please donot have too high expectations. I have kept the pics a bit obscure and dnt follow a series as it is donot have much left of the orignal series.

Regards,
Vaibhav
Aditya G
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya G »

rohitvats wrote:That bade is SG and does not apply on the whole to SFF. And which "Winged Dagger" are you referring to?
This one: http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/thumbs/SFF_IG_1973_t.jpg
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

Can anyone tell what is the insignia with a person with a winged horse body with a bow and arrow.

Its there on this site with the Para badge in the middle and the Balidan on the right and this one is on the left.

http://www.indianparachuteregiment.kar.nic.in/index.asp
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

viabhav is right

let me tamp down expectations

They are not before or after action pictures as such.

I think 2 should not be an issue.

2 others maybe an id issue - so let me see I get back.
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Aditya G wrote:
rohitvats wrote:That bade is SG and does not apply on the whole to SFF. And which "Winged Dagger" are you referring to?
This one: http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/thumbs/SFF_IG_1973_t.jpg
The Para Wings earlier used to be worn on the sleeves as in the pics above. It looks to me the same. Though, iirc, the same were on the right shoulder.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

Regards

Surya
Out of curiosity, who do you exactly forward them to for approval? Is there a media rep for the IA?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

hulaku wrote:Can anyone tell what is the insignia with a person with a winged horse body with a bow and arrow.

Its there on this site with the Para badge in the middle and the Balidan on the right and this one is on the left.

http://www.indianparachuteregiment.kar.nic.in/index.asp
AFAIK, that is the formation sign of the 50(I) Parachute Brigade...
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Carl

nope - no formal reps

just friends who are serving and ex SF\SG etc
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

rohitvats wrote:AFAIK, that is the formation sign of the 50(I) Parachute Brigade...
Thanks for your reply.

I just have one more pooch :mrgreen:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... 799154.JPG

What is the insignia on the right hand side of this Para with a Tavor? I have also seen it on Marcos in Kashmir in some pic.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

combat diver.
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

Rahul M wrote:combat diver.
Thank you for the information.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Do the mavericks wear NSG style black dungaree also?
hulaku
BRFite

Post by hulaku »

^^^ Maj. Udai Singh ^^^ We salute you.

Just one more pooch. :oops:

Cant help after seeing Maj. sahib's photo. What is the badge on the bottom right next to the Balidan badge?
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

sum wrote:Do the mavericks wear NSG style black dungaree also?
The use of dungarees (black or otherwise) is not the preserve of any one arm in IA; many services use them as per the requirement. Though, their use in certain arms is more as compared to others.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sorry guys

Reply back

Not recommended for public viewing.

vaibhav

sent you an email - also -
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

Surya wrote:Sorry guys-Reply back

Not recommended for public viewing.

vaibhav
sent you an email - also -
:(( :(( :(( .............I'm heart broken (but had thought as much.....)
ashdivay
BRFite

Post by ashdivay »

BIRTH OF INDIAN SPECIAL FORCES, AT FT.BRAGG, NC.
http://ashsworldonline.blogspot.com/201 ... ahiri.html
Pic from India's Past.

This is a News Release pic of Indian Army officer in Ft. Bragg NC USA, the year was 1964.
Indo-US relations have suddenly become good after Sino-India war of 62. The result was military and Intel corporation between India and USA.

This pic is a fine proof of one such Hindi Americi bhai bhai .

Anyway the officer is Young Major (Later Lt.Gen.) M.K. "MIKE" Lahiri. (b Sep 20,1934, d Feb 16, 1996)

He was one of the few officers who had a chance to go to Ft. Bragg and undergo training and one of the first Indians to get Green Beret.

He was truly a great officer and would have been a Army Chief had it not been for his passing. Truly India did lose a great Gorkha.

Even today he is remembered by his friends,family and those who served with and under him.
But whats bad is that there is hardly little or no mention of this great officer on any of the SO called Indian Army fan site.

Jai Hind !
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

But whats bad is that there is hardly little or no mention of this great officer on any of the SO called Indian Army fan site.
why don't you write up an article then ? I'm sure BR will be more than happy to host it.
Rajput
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Rajput »

hulaku wrote:Can anyone tell what is the insignia with a person with a winged horse body with a bow and arrow.
That's Shatrujeet, the insignia of the 50 Para Bde.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Interesting to know that they use 22SF designation for SG. Coz if memory serves me right their public obits used to say SG (no number) before - ToI in fact used to carry a few every year during 1990s.