Tibet watch

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re: Tibet watch

Post by RayC »

tsriram wrote:surinder,
geographical proximity isn't necessarily a necessity for providing the support for such rebellions. case in point being american help to the afghan mujahideen. Also, given that tibetan diaspora is spread across many countries means they can be helped by other powers too, though for their own end-goals. In this, if India keeps to mouthing platitudes while looking the other way as the tibetans use the territory as a base would be the max we can expect out of the goi. And i guess the tibetans realise that too. I'd say they aren't really looking for a strong goi backing though behind the scenes help or passive help might be good enough for them. I agree that we really don't see us helping them like the help to the ltte.
It maybe correct to assume that Geographical proximity is required. The US helped the Afghan mujahideens and of the there is no doubt. However, if there was no proxy i.e. Pakistan and land access, it would have succeeded.

If one observes the current situation in Afghanistan, the US is desperate for an alternate route since it the Pakistani route has become untenable to a great extent. Had geographical proximity not been important, then the US should have been able to sustain its current operation.

India can allow the Tibetans to use Indian territory, but China is no tired and economically tottering Russia (in Afghanistan). It will have serious ramification. Therefore, ideal would be that Tibetans in Tibet take action and the émigrés return to their homeland renouncing their refugee status and assist the locals.

Obviously, material and materiel help can come from foreign lands, like the Chinese assistance to the NE insurgency.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Mao may have thought green tea is a toothpaste cum mouthwash.

Yet, he was a great exponent of guerilla wafare.

Give the Devil his due!

He also swam through Yangtse Kiang and even composed the poem Youyong ie. swimming!

Great bloke!
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

Gen. RayC, what about the 30 million that Mao murdered during the Cultural Revolution?
What about the uncountable millions that have perished & that will continute to perish, under Mao & his progeny, the CCP? What about the r@pe of Tibet? 1962?

If anything, Mao is the greatest murderer in the history of mankind. He is worthy of no praise, only condemnation.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

derkonig wrote:If anything, Mao is the greatest murderer in the history of mankind. He is worthy of no praise, only condemnation.
And yet his thoughts on waging war are still perfectly valid. I think that is what RayC sir was referring to.

-Vivek
Last edited by vivek_ahuja on 18 Mar 2009 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

RayC wrote:Obviously, material and materiel help can come from foreign lands, like the Chinese assistance to the NE insurgency.
RayC sir,

I agree with the assertion that supporting the Tibetan rebellion openly through India will have significant and serious ramifications (including possibly a military response from China). However, if material help was to be provided, what other country other than India do you mean as foreign lands? Tibet is landlocked. Nepal etc would not cut it. IMO India will get dragged in one way or another...

Also, the Pakistani war against India through mujaheddin is probability not a good model to try and replicate against China. Where we have not been responding actively against Pakistan for decades, China would probably attack within months if something like this were tried against them. So we need to tread carefully on the Tibetan issue.

-Vivek
derkonig
BRFite
Location: Jeering sekular forces bhile Furiously malishing my mijjile @ Led Lips Mijjile Malish Palish Parloul

Post by derkonig »

Dont forget the oppressed Uighurs. I guess trouble can start earlier in Western provinces of PRC, especially those bordering the ex-SSRs. These ex-SSRs have no dearth of disaffected youth & they do make common cause with their Uighur birathers. May be there is some such thing as the good taliban & HeT.
While such conflicts can tie down PRC & prolly even deliver it a bloody nose, it may not be any good from Indian POV what with one set of yahoos replacing another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fergana_Valley
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Liu wrote:

just as I posted, what may destroy Tibetan unique culture is not "the supress of evil Chinese government", but the "modernization and globalization".

Chinese government know it very well, and trys its best to modernize Tibet.
Chinese govt has to adopt Tibetan language and make it primary language in Tibet.
Also make sure that the Tibet Buddhist order are able to flourish and have exchange of Buddhist scholars from India and other countries. There should be free flow of religion and ideas across the border.

This is called modernization and globalization.
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

territorial proximity is necessary for efficient support infrastructure. But as RayCji points out, it is better perhaps at this stage to encourage Tibetan guerrila warfare within Tibet and supplying them covertly. Some kind of accommodation with the Islamists also possibly can be explored to increase the distraction in the NW of China.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Nepal will not support rather will arrest all theTibetian protesters and will throw them from Himalayas. They are any way now maoists.

India cannot do it all alone. India has to work closely with allies. It cannot supply Tibetians the war tools. Rather can be a via media through which such weapons can be smuggled thru. Even otherwise one should keep a balanced approach in public. Those countries who are interested has to drop their support from above just like Maoists did for Indian Maoists from above...

India has to make it clear to China that Tibet is not a mere part of China. Unless this theory is sold neither Indian public nor Europeans nor US would support any session of Tibet. It is part of China because China occupies it and claims to be part of it. But culturally, language wise and in many ways Tibetians are different from Chinese. If this would have been respected it is a different story. Unfortunately all the Tibetians are seen - at least many are seen as traitors and so Chinese would prefer them confronting and then get eliminated thus bring Chinese into Tibet and replace them there.

This is where India has to assert the fact that Tibet has to be given an autonomouse status or semi independent state like in Taiwan. Otherwise come on let us ask the people to vote whether they would like to be part of China or to have more democratic autonomous status then people would certainly do this.

India has to fight the terrorism on the one hand with and may be inside pakistan. Other hand India has to be in talk with people in Kashmir and possibly with Pakistani leaders as well. There should be a further development in this regard. This will give a moral authority for India to speak against China regarding the Tibetians. I do not know why Indian leaders do not think strategically in this way rather consider themselves as financial managers managing and surviving politically by just keeping the positions safe but making India into a vegetation state!!! particularly Congress govt...thanks to P Mukerjeee for all his effort to bring our contry to this state just like Narasima Rao those days even without a smile on his face.... India needs proactive leaders who strategically play Sanakian roles in making our country a proactive and growing and powerful nation which has to be taken by our neighbours seriously and also can prove to be an evolving demcratised and civilised but strong nation Internationally who do not simply bend their knees for valueless and playful threats from others.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

derkonig wrote:Gen. RayC, what about the 30 million that Mao murdered during the Cultural Revolution?
What about the uncountable millions that have perished & that will continute to perish, under Mao & his progeny, the CCP? What about the r@pe of Tibet? 1962?

If anything, Mao is the greatest murderer in the history of mankind. He is worthy of no praise, only condemnation.
In the IA, it is just a Brigadier. I am honoured, but embarrassed with your elevating me in rank.

You are absolutely right about what you have stated.

I am no fan of Mao, but I would also like to fair.

He still is taken as an authority in guerilla warfare and is widely read.

As far as his swimming is concerned, I believe he spent more time swimming that in governance.

The Cultural Revolution was possibly prompted by his desire to swim in a different medium - blood. However, the real reason as is said. was that there was a power struggle and this was his way to suppress the same!
Bade
BRF Oldie

Post by Bade »

The story I learnt from a Chinese colleague was that Mao was a failed academic. He was personally insulted by faculty members when as a young job aspirant he wanted a teaching job. This experience seem to have affected him so deep that he made sure that all the intellectuals were to pay a heavy price and sent to labor camps in the countryside.

The current 20 somethings in PRC are Mao worshippers in his view, simply due to the fact that he stood up to the Americans in the younger generations view. Mao's atrocities inflicted upon the common man is only folklore for the generation born in the late 80's. Even Tiananmen Square is some far forgotten event from never never land for the new nationalists. They are both capitalists and nationalists/Maoists at the same time. Definitely, not reformers or even wannabe reformers.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

vivek_ahuja wrote:
RayC wrote:Obviously, material and materiel help can come from foreign lands, like the Chinese assistance to the NE insurgency.
RayC sir,

I agree with the assertion that supporting the Tibetan rebellion openly through India will have significant and serious ramifications (including possibly a military response from China). However, if material help was to be provided, what other country other than India do you mean as foreign lands? Tibet is landlocked. Nepal etc would not cut it. IMO India will get dragged in one way or another...

Also, the Pakistani war against India through mujaheddin is probability not a good model to try and replicate against China. Where we have not been responding actively against Pakistan for decades, China would probably attack within months if something like this were tried against them. So we need to tread carefully on the Tibetan issue.

-Vivek
By foreign lands, I meant interested nations in ensuring that Tibet becomes independent (or at least burns to keep China occupied and away from consolidating) and it need not be neighbouring countries of Tibet. However, a conduit (nation) would be essential which is essential to funnel in materiel (similar on the lines of US assistance of the Mujahideens in Afghanistan, through Pakistan).

The nations could be any.

It is just my surmise that the US during Bush's tenure and now also, has shifted focus to containing China, now that the grip over the Middle East is better than it was during the Clinton era. The US, not withstanding its assertion, appears to have no plans to quit Iraq lock, stock and barrel. It's Embassy is larger than the Vatican city and the Balad airbase is the largest US military base in the world!

This link will give you some interesting insight into the issue:
http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/is ... mindex.htm

The US has its strategic interest in the Middle East and has to a great extent been able to fulfil the same.

It is my guess that to contain China, US has a own 'string of pearls' agenda. In East Asia, the US has South Korea and Japan to squeeze that flank. It has Taiwan to the South and though Vietnam is not in the US sphere of influence, it is a buffer since there is no love lost between China and Vietnam and the South China Sea is disputed.Thailand can be banked upon as also Singapore (to some extent).

India has tilted towards the US and in any tenuous issue on China, while India may act neutral, it will ensure US' interest, since indirectly, it will also be in the interest of India. With India's naval might increasing by the day, India will effectively act as a force multiplier with the US Navy over the Malacca Straits and this strategic chokepoint can be denied to the Chinese. It might be prudent to state here that much of Chinese trade flows through this Strait.

The US influence in Sri Lanka, though is not upfront, I believe is subtle. The fact that LTTE was declared a terrorist organisation and the fact that the US is silent over the SL's rather ham handed sledgehammer action on the LTTE is an indicator, more so, since the US claim than Darfur is a genocide! It always had an interest in the Tricomalee port and possibly still has!

While it may appear that Pakistan is in a turmoil because of its idiocy, the visit of Kiyani to the US and then the sudden escalation of event with strong handed Pak military covert machinations against Zardari to isolate him from even his own Party and PM is an interesting commentary. The greater the chaos in Pakistan, the greater is the US leverage! Thus, no matter what is officially claimed in Pakistan, it still appears to be a handmaiden of the US. In this connection, the over zealous help of the US to India over the Mumbai carnage is also an indicator to put the spanner in the works, more so, when never before the US has been so forthcoming!

Thus, there is a tacit string of pearls of the US against China in the works.

If Pakistan can be 'controlled', what is Nepal? To foment problems there for the Marxists, is for the US 'bayen hath ke khel'!Who knows there is something already afoot. The Nepalese Army has given an extension to some Brigadiers who are retiring while the Defence Minister (who was the Marxist Rebel's General) has overruled it, even though the Nepal Army Act permits such extension. Thus, there is a potential for problems and who knows who is behind it!

The Bangladesh Mutiny is also another issue that is interesting. Has the US changed horses?

Therefore, if the Indian subcontinent is in a flux, with covert finances flowing to the right quarters, anything can happen in that country so as to allow the flow of US aid and materiel to the Tibetans.

We must also not forget the Uighurs. There are enough Islamic nations who will join hands to ensure a problem is ensuing there too and thus the Western flank of China burning!

Just some kiteflying!

Bade,

This is anecdotal. A businessman friend of mine who has a business connection with China told me that in China, Money and Wealth is thier new God! Ideology etc be damned and that is also the reason why the Chinese don't rock the boat!
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

Pray for Tibet, struggle for Taiwan

By Su Tseng-chang 蘇貞昌

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editori ... 2003438744

UN Human Rights Council Discuss Tibet
http://www.tibetcustom.com/article.php/ ... 7084803772

Sensitivities over Tibet keep parade off capital's streets

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 06505.html
Tibet: Archbishop Desmond Tutu Statement
http://www.unpo.org/content/view/9376/69/
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Acharya wrote:
Liu wrote:

just as I posted, what may destroy Tibetan unique culture is not "the supress of evil Chinese government", but the "modernization and globalization".

Chinese government know it very well, and trys its best to modernize Tibet.
Chinese govt has to adopt Tibetan language and make it primary language in Tibet.
Also make sure that the Tibet Buddhist order are able to flourish and have exchange of Buddhist scholars from India and other countries. There should be free flow of religion and ideas across the border.

This is called modernization and globalization.
On the question of allowing 'free flow of ideas' being allowed by the Chinese govt, one wonders.

Keeping China out of the purview of ideas of the world, especially politics, is what is prudent for the Communists since such ideas may 'pollute' and cause social and political unrest - an anathema to the Communist mode of governance.

Further, the hokuo system that ensures people are confined to the area of their birth, apart from allowing effective governance (in that it controls the society and movement and hence ensuring efficient distribution of commodities and social benefits) is possibly also being kept in place inspite of modernisation because it also prevent the movement of people and thus, ideas and does not allow people of different regions comparing the progress of their region with the more affluent regions. This, thus, controls discontent!
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

"Torture in Tibet" Chinese style,captured on video.The brutal pigs of Beijing are shwon in all their cruelty here.Check the link.This is one story N.Ram of the "Chindu" will never publish!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... Tibet.html
New video of torture exposes Chinese brutality in Tibet
The Tibetan government-in-exile, led by the Dalai Lama, has released a video that appears to show Tibetan monks being tortured by Chinese security forces.

By Malcolm Moore, Shanghai Correspondent
Last Updated: 7:31PM GMT 20 Mar 2009

Video footage from Tibet is extremely rare. The film, which shows violent scenes from the March 2008 riots, is the clearest evidence yet that Tibetans were subject to police brutality as China struggled for control in Lhasa.

In the seven-minute film, exerpts of which are shown above, Chinese police kick and beat apparently defenceless Tibetan protesters and monks after they have been handcuffed and are lying on the ground.

Chinese police shoot eight Tibet protestors
China admits firing on Tibetan protesters
Chinese release pictures of wanted Tibetans

Tibet violence spreads as Dalai Lama attacks China's 'cultural genocide'
Calls for Olympic boycott after Tibet brutalityThe Tibetan government-in-exile, which is based in Dharamsala in India, said the treatment of the captives violated international norms and amounted to torture.

Until now, the only video evidence of the riots in March was shot from long-distance and showed clashes in the streets of Lhasa but not evidence of torture.

"This is the first footage which visibly proves the use of brutal and excessive force against Tibetan protesters. It clearly challenges official Chinese statements that disproportionate force was not used on unarmed protesters," said Stephanie Brigden, the director of the international campaign group Free Tibet.

The second half of the video, which is too graphic to show here, documents a serious set of injuries allegedly sustained by a Tibetan worker after he intervened in the beating of a monk.

According to the Tibetan government-in-exile, Chinese police shot at the man, who was named as Tendar, and then stubbed cigarettes out on his body, forced a nail through his right foot and beat him with an electric baton.

He was initially taken to a military hospital but, according to the video, his wounds were merely wrapped in cling film, which allowed them to rot. He subsequently died of his injuries in June 2008.

The video was shot as the riots spread from Lhasa to the rest of Tibet and into the surrounding provinces of Qinghai and Gansu in March of last year. With the Olympic Games helping to focus international attention on China, the authorities launched a heavy-handed response to try to snuff out dissent.

China has repeatedly denied any brutality in Tibet and angrily rejected a call from the United Nations last November to clarify the measures it took in the wake of the riots in March. It accused the UN of "prejudice against China" and of fabricating evidence to "deliberately politicise the issue".

But the Tibetan government-in-exile has said that Chinese troops killed 220 Tibetans and injured almost 1,300 during the protests. It has claimed that 5,600 Tibetans were arrested, and more than 1,000 have "simply disappeared". Beijing has said that only 22 people died in the rioting.

The Tibetan government-in-exile compared the new footage to a video of Chinese police beating monks at the Jokhang temple in 1988, which was the first time that Chinese brutality was captured on film.

The anniversary of last year's riots apparently passed by peacefully last week, as China poured police onto the streets of Lhasa to ensure control. But all foreigners have been banned from Tibet and from large swathes of the surrounding provinces in order to close the region to outside eyes.

In Amdo, the north-eastern Tibetan state, human rights activists reported that more than 100 monks had been taken away for "re-education" from the Lutsang monastery in the run-up to the 50th anniversary of the Dalai Lama's exile from Tibet last week.

Police are still checking cars on roads leading to Tibet and motorway toll booths outside Chengdu, in Sichuan, are manned with heavily-armed officers.

Chengdu is often used as a starting point to journey to Tibet and security is particularly tight there. Video cameras have been installed in taxis and all taxi drivers are required to report any foreigners to the authorities.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Newsx: Video of Chinese crackdown in Tibet released

Story similar to the above, video is slightly different.
The video showed on TV included injuries suffered by martyr Tendar. He had huge wounds on his feet & legs.
A nail was driven through his foot! :cry:
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

More unrest in Tibet and a leading monk missing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ma ... dependence
Tibetan monks arrested over police station attackTania Branigan in Beijing
The Guardian, Monday 23 March 2009

Almost 100 monks are being held in detention after hundreds of people attacked a police station and government officials in a Tibetan area of north-western China, state media reported.

The unrest broke out in Qinghai province on Saturday when a Buddhist lama vanished after escaping police custody. He was under investigation "on suspicion of Tibetan independence activities".

The official news agency, Xinhua, said monks from the local monastery attacked the police station in Ragya, a township in the Tibetan prefecture of Golog. Some officials were slightly injured. It added that six people were arrested for involvement in the attack, while 89 others surrendered. All but two were monks.

The incident underscores the deep tensions in the region. Tibet and areas of western China with a large Tibetan population have been under heavy security for weeks because of this month's 50th anniversary of the failed uprising against Chinese rule, and the one-year anniversary of a fatal riot in Lhasa which sparked unrest across nearby provinces.

Tibetan exiles from Ragya, who said they had spoken to eyewitnesses, put the crowd numbers at variously 1,000 and 2,000. Protesters believed the monk had killed himself after fleeing custody. One told AP that Tashi Sangpo, 28, was detained because he unfurled a Tibetan flag on the monastery roof on 10 March.

Separately, the Sunday Independent in South Africa reported that the Dalai Lama had been banned from entering the country for a peace conference. His visa was refused after pressure from China, leading Archbishop Desmond Tutu to threaten to pull out of the meeting, it said.
Nobel winner,Desmond Tutu on the warpath.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 955959.ece
Nobel outrage at South Africa’s decision to ban the Dalai Lama

Jonathan Clayton
South Africa was plunged into a diplomatic row yesterday after the Government barred the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan spiritual leader, from entering the country to take part in a peace conference linked to the 2010 football World Cup.

The decision, confirmed to The Times by senior government officials, was met with outrage by his fellow Nobel peace laureates Archbishop Desmond Tutu and the former President F. W. de Klerk, who are organising the conference on March 27 with the Norwegian Nobel Peace Committee.

Archbishop Tutu urged the Government, which has close ties to China, to reconsider its “disgraceful” decision and threatened to boycott the meeting, planned to promote the first World Cup tournament to be held in Africa.

“If His Holiness’s visa is refused, then I won’t take part in the upcoming 2010 World Cup-related peace conference. I will condemn the Government’s behaviour as disgraceful, in line with our abysmal record at the UN Security Council, a total betrayal of our struggle history,” he said from California, where he is on a visit. “We are shamelessly succumbing to Chinese pressure. I feel deeply distressed and ashamed.” South Africa vetoed proposals for tougher sanctions against Zimbabwe and Burma when it occupied a non-permanent seat on the Security Council last year.

China arrests monks after missing lama protest
Tibet tense as Dalai Lama banished all over again
An invitation to the conference was also issued in the name of Nelson Mandela, another laureate. He has not yet reacted to the Government’s decision.

A senior presidential aide told The Times that the Dalai Lama’s presence in the country “would not be welcome as it would divert attention away from the World Cup” towards the Tibet issue. “We have nothing against him but we have a key strategic relationship with China and we would really not want to do anything to jeopardise that,” he said.

Dave Steward, a spokesman for the F. W. de Klerk Foundation, said that the former President, who freed Mr Mandela after 27 years of prison and ended apartheid, had expressed concern to the presidency and the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

“If the visa is not granted then Mr de Klerk and other laureates will reconsider their participation. This would not be a good thing for South Africa and the World Cup,” Mr Steward said.

Ronnie Mamoepa, a Foreign Ministry spokesman, told The Times: “The Government is involved in organising this function and is responsible for issuing invitations. If you have not been invited to a party you cannot say you have been prevented from coming.” The Dalai Lama, who is honorary co-chairman of the Desmond Tutu Peace Centre, was denied travel documents on March 4. The Chinese Embassy in South Africa has confirmed that its Government appealed to South Africa not to allow the Dalai Lama into the country.

South Africa is China’s main trading partner in Africa and accounts for more than 20 per cent of Beijing’s trade with the continent. Chinese investment in South Africa in the past two years has grown to $6 billion (£4.9 billion).
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

Africa has seen increased development by China so denying the Dalai Lama entrance is to possibly invite Chinese investment. If I were the South African Prime Minister, the infrastructure of my country would be more important than some random spiritual leader.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The SA leadership have very short memories when they were persecuted by the apartheid regime.Virtually the entire globe assisted in bringing the end of apartheid by sanctions against SA and other acts that ensured today the rights of the native African.Can these leaders who were supported in their struggle be so cold-hearted and ignore the travails and torture of Tibetans,in manner as they once were? If so,without the moral foundations that brought political change into the country,the future of S.Africa as a stable democratic nation will be a question mark in th future.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Peace Conference Canceled After South Africa Bars Dalai Lama

Ha ha ha. Someone else had enough sense, good for them.
Two of South Africa’s Nobel Peace Prize laureate, retired Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu and former president F.W. de Klerk, condemned the government for giving in to pressure from China to block the Tibetan spiritual leader’s entry into the country and said they would refuse to participate in the conference if he was not there. The executive director of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Geir Lundestad, also said he would stay away.
India should not keep quite. Perhaps even break the Indo-SA-Brazil whatever. If SA wants to get into the Jihadi camp let them. Or even perhaps time to break up SA.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

See this! This is why PRC s***s ! Is this the way to treat monks who live for peace?? Really! These Chinese have no hearts!

And PRC is refusing to accept this! There is no human rights at all in China. Where does the question of Human Rights Violation arise ??? Chinese Communists are sick people ought to be behind bars!!
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

Well, again the youtube is blocked by the propaganda machinery. How come the brave make believe artists cower before the youtube?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 975252.ece
The final part of the video, the most gruesome, shows a young Tibetan man identified as Tendar being treated for open wounds and sores by hospital doctors. A statement from the Tibetan exiles says that the China Mobile employee had been fired at, burnt with cigarette butts and severely beaten with an electric baton before his wounds were wrapped in polythene and left to rot. When he reached a civilian hospital, doctors cut away 2.5kg of rotten flesh. He died on June 19 last year, the exiles said.
For additional links to the videos:
http://www.tibetonline.tv/torture/
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

http://www.tibet.net/en/index.php?id=76 ... type=flash
#As of 20 March 2009, a total of 220 Tibetans have died under China's brutal crackdown since 10 March 2008.
Four categories of death under China's crackdown – Indiscriminate firing, Torture, Suicide and Starvation.
Here is compiled list:
http://www.tibet.net/en/pdf/tibetans_killed_2008.pdf
Apologies if posted earlier.
http://www.tibet.net/en/index.php?id=76 ... type=flash
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

A krish wrote:

And PRC is refusing to accept this! There is no human rights at all in China. Where does the question of Human Rights Violation arise ??? Chinese Communists are sick people ought to be behind bars!!
Human Rights is a new concept which was recently pushed round the word after 1975. It is not recognized much in the world. China is feted as a major power even with a poor human rights record since this concept is not really recognized by major pwoers. Indian elite and Indian people have been fooled into this HR stds that they have put a barrier to Indian progress.
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

Undercover video of life in tibet:
[googlevideo]7982410976871193492[/googlevideo]
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid= ... 6871193492
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

China can’t chain Tibet forever

Sunanda K Datta-Ray

http://www.dailypioneer.com/165309/Chin ... rever.html
Keshav
BRFite

Post by Keshav »

Sanku wrote:China can’t chain Tibet forever

Sunanda K Datta-Ray

http://www.dailypioneer.com/165309/Chin ... rever.html
The article seems more like idle threat than any commentary on Tibetan freedom. The author does a great job of exposing the hypocrisy in CCP policy towards the Tibetans and other minorities considering within the borders of the Chinese empire, but he offers little in terms of substance.

The comment below is more potent:
Nothing may be far-fetched in Sunanda Datta-Ray’s history but when it comes to Tibet, China is changing ethnicity of Tibet’s population so fast that Tibetans will become a minority in their homeland. The world including India and US, is so beholden to economic powerhouse almighty China that it is just a silent spectator with the offer of meek sympathetic lip service. Tibetan culture and identity are destined to dustbin of history since non-violent movement can NOT work against a ruthless dictatorship government.
I have little faith for the Tibetans unless someone is willing to fight for them. While the Chinese are building infrastructure and the Han are moving in, any guerilla warfare by young Tibetans (once the Dalai Lama dies, of course) will be killed like every other dissident. And India will not and cannot be dragged into a World War with China.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

I think we need to start a campaign against SA for the soccer world cup in 2010 - because they denied the Dalai Lama a visa.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

NRao wrote:I think we need to start a campaign against SA for the soccer world cup in 2010 - because they denied the Dalai Lama a visa.
campaign against SA for the soccer & play IPL instead?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

AdityaM,

You have a point, but, I am not sure if you realize the impact of soccer. Cricket is rather puny. During the last World Cup I happened to be in SA - they had an entire channel just for WC!! 24x7 WC soccer, never missed any game and never missed work or sleep!! Believe me World Cup is bigger than anything, specially to the image of SA. However, china is big time in SA too.

However, Chicom calls:

Vast Spy System Loots Computers in 103 Countries
A vast electronic spying operation has infiltrated computers and has stolen documents from hundreds of government and private offices around the world, including those of the Dalai Lama, Canadian researchers have concluded.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009- ... 102976.htm
Italian scholars express concerns about distorted reports on Tibet
www.chinaview.cn 2009-03-30 23:55:20 Print

ROME, March 30 (Xinhua) -- Many Italian scholars have voiced concerns about some Western media are running distorted or even fabricated reports on Tibet.

At a joint seminar attended by Italian scholars and a group of Chinese Tibetologists who visited Italy from Friday to Monday, Professor Giorgio Mantici said some Italian media had carried many negative and untrue stories about China and its Tibetan region.

"Sometimes, what we read about Tibet from media was fabricated by the Dalai Lama and his followers," Mantici said.

"In the 1930's, a British reporter described China's Yunnan province as a haven of peace. Now some journalists also copy that version as if the Tibet under the former feudal serfdom ruled by the Dalai Lama was a heaven. Media repeated those stories and let them become the so-called facts," said the professor from Oriental University of Napoli.

On some reports mentioning the "peaceful rebellion" in Tibet 50years ago, Mantici said a rebellion would never be a peaceful one. "What will be peaceful upheaval or peaceful rebellion?"

Some media also argued the Dalai Lama did not demand independence but only autonomy, Mantici said.

Autonomy is already a fact recognized by the Chinese constitution, he pointed out.

"You can see some Dalai Lama's supporters on the streets calling for a 'free Tibet.' They just want independence instead of autonomy," he said.

For Domenico Losurdo, a professor of Urbino University, an inconceivable bias is that some media portrayed the Dalai Lama-ruled Tibet as a heaven on earth. "But anybody who learned a bit from historical studies knows Tibet in those days had suffered from the brutal and inhuman rule with extremely tragic cases," Losurdo said.

"However, it's unbelievable that an Italian magazine even endorses and praises that kind of society," he added.

The professor of philosophy and history also pointed out there is no evidence about a "cultural genocide" in Tibet as alleged by the Dalai Lama.

The Tibetan religion, culture and language have been kept very well, he said.

Therefore, the so-called "cultural genocide" only exists in the minds of the Dalai Lama, he said.

Talking about objective and impartial reporting, F. Helene Pairault, an ancient history researcher, believes those distorted reports cannot bear the test of time.

"We all know the completion of the railroad from Qinghai to Tibet has promoted development in various aspects in Tibet. This is not simply technological progress but also social and cultural development," she said.

Through such meetings, people can learn from Tibetan friends the first-hand information and the truths bout Tibet, Pairault said.

The Chinese Tibetologists, including Zhang Yun, Zha Luo and De Ji Droma, briefed the Italian scholars about the achievements made in Tibet.

The five-member Chinese delegation also met Italian politicians and journalists during their stay in Rome. Earlier, they had visited Britain.
asprinzl
BRFite

Post by asprinzl »

I went to the Tibetan demo near the USS Intrepid this past Saturday. I was really impressed by the determination of these little people. The Chinese Embassy was surrounded by the NYPD. Unfortunately, I did not see one Desi in the crowd.
Avram.
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

http://www.asianews.it/index.php?l=en&a ... o=6&size=A
Chinese police beat Tibetan monk to death, try to put it down as suicide
The murdered monk was handing out flyers denouncing Chinese persecution, reminding readers about those killed in last year’s protests. After he was killed police threw his body into a ravine.
The paper rejects out of hand international charges of cultural genocide against the Tibetan population, claiming instead that Tibetans are still the overwhelming majority of the local population and that the Tibetan language is taught in school. It does not however make any mention of arrests and imprisonment.
By contrast, the Tibetan government-in-exile counters that the report misrepresents the facts, pointing out that Tibet’s major cities are already dominated by ethnic Han settlers. It argues that if most of them do not appear on official statistics, it is simply because they do not have the required residence permit.
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/dis ... _commented
Just in case, back in Lhasa, troops are still patrolling the streets following an outbreak of rioting in March last year. They are also on full alert across the Tibetan plateau amid fears that Tibetans might stage their own commemorations. Many associate March 1959 not with liberation but with Tibet’s failed uprising against China and the flight of the Dalai Lama to India. Dozens of Tibetan monks have been detained in Ragya, a remote town in neighbouring Qinghai province, after violent protests there on March 21st triggered by the disappearance of a colleague who had raised a pro-independence flag.
JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

JwalaMukhi
BRFite

Post by JwalaMukhi »

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... wHujBRE2RA
China orders tighter controls on online videos
China issued new rules on Thursday aiming to crack down on "harmful" political or religious online videos, two weeks after footage of police allegedly beating Tibetan monks circulated on the Web.
The rules specifically ban online clips that harm national stability, "instigate hatred between ethnic groups" or "maliciously disparage" the nation's police or armed forces, a notice on the government's website said.
The tightened restrictions issued by the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, were intended to "enhance the building and management of an Internet culture, disseminate the advanced culture of socialism, and reject vulgarity," the government notice said.
I bet, Mullahs of the taliban (mullahs of LMU are worried because of competition) and prakash carrot are proud and approve of these methods.