Understanding Sikh History-1

Atri
BRF Oldie

Re: Internal Security Watch

Post by Atri »

viv wrote:
Chiron wrote:Just my thoughts..

After Shuddhi movement by Dayanand Saraswati of Arya Samaj, Sikh community started growing alarmingly exclusivist. They declared that they are not Hindus. British gave Sikh, Buddhism, Jain etc a status of separate religion which further fuelled this exclusivity coupled with the martial race theory.
Chiron: Was the Arya samaj seen as a political force? I've read about Shuddhi as a conversion/reconversion of recently converted Muslims/Christians to Hinduism. Given that many prominent leaders, Bhagat Singh's family (if not himself), Lala lajapat rai and many others were part of Arya Samaj.

Why did this cause Sikh community to be exclusive? Was it, its emphasis on Vedic ritual which was seen to draw folks away from other Panths?
Yes.. but they focussed a lot on converting Sikhs as well.. This led to Sikh leaders take a stand that "We are not Hindus". This was not the case before this Sikh-Hindu converison.

All this is the symptom of loss of understanding of what "Dharma" is? The "Glaani" of "Dharma" results in such misplaced adventures....
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Re: Understanding Sikh History-1

Post by svenkat »

Airavat,

The Jat Sikhs were not fence sitters during Mughal rule.The Hindu upper castes were.Banda Bahadur was one of the few exceptions.We are talking about Late Aurangzeb,not Maharaja Ranjitsinghji when there was a general resurgence among Sikhs/Hindus.

Raju saar,

Yes credit has to be given to the Khalsa and jatt sikhs who were the predominant element in the Khalsa for hitting out at the mughals.yet this is crucial,all jatt sikhs were not Khalsa(keshdari sikhs) during Maharaja Ranjitsinghji's time.Contemporary records say only about 13% of the jat sikhs were khalsa sikhs at that time.But even then the Khalsa element were the most ferocious *and* unruly.

The brotherhood created had little respect for hierarchy.A contemperory account of a parade in Lahore during Ranjitsinghji's time recalls the Khalsa sikhs openly spitting at Maharaja Ranjitsinghji.Some scholars opine that is why the Maharaja trusted non Punjabis like Gulab Singh,Lal Singh,Tej Singh.On the other hand it is claimed that these rustic elements had no 'culture' and others feared Sikha Shahi.

In the Northwest from where I suppose Surinder Saab comes,the Jats had long been converted to Islam and there was far less tension within the ancient religion.

Ramanaji,
Until the 1871 census,the Sikhs had not been enumerated separately in the Punjab.They were returned as Hindus.Most jatt sikhs would have had names like ram lal or kishenlal and were not keshdaris.

The British feared that Sikhism which was born in the womb of Hinduism,as a protest movement,like say Lingayats,would have returned to Hinduism as as a sect like Nanakpanthis.

The Sikhs had fought fiercely in the Anglo-Sikh wars but had been betrayed by the upper caste Hindu leadership(fearful of Sikha Shahi).The British decided to rope in the Sikhs and created the modern Sikh identity.The recruiting officers would insist on Ram Singh with the kesh and the Sikhs were enumerated as a distinct religion from 1871.The British had learned from 1857,the Hindus were the greatest threat to their domination.With all their sects,differences they looked upon the goras as outsiders.

British administrators like John Lawrence,historians like Cunningham played a big part in this process.But we must not forget that since the epic times Punjab has not been the centre of orthodox hinduism for long.Islam has had a strong influence for long time.After the French revolution,the British had a marked contempt for caste system.From the Semitic view point,a 'purified' Khalsa faith would be in British eyes far superior to puranic hinduism.Also this Khalsa faith would better protect the peasant-soldier class of Jat Sikhs from the 'depradations' of the 'depraved' Hindu upper castes.The British set themselves as the protectors of the yeomanry.It would also cut to size any nationalist pretensions from Hindu/Sikh Khatris.

The British could also identify themselves with the fair-skinned manly Jats,while they despised the Hindoos.(This is what Acharya says,that Anglo Saxons think of Punjab as one unit).Inspite of all these,they were generous to many Sikh/Hindu Khatris and Mohyals.

Ofcourse,all these democratic pretensions were never extended to Dalits nor did they attempt to cut to size the muslim nobility of West Punjab.The Sikh rajas who had supported the British were allowed their kingdoms.

The cowardly Pakjabis were extremely grateful to the English for guaranteeing their rights.Also they were happy to be rid of Sikh/Hindu rule in Punjab.

When the democratic process gathered steam in early 20 th century,Punjab was tranquil.The Sikh identity had been strengthened by the Sikh Sabha movement,SGPC,quotas etc.There was some sort of equilibrium between Hindus,Muslims and Sikhs.The Old Punjab also included Haryana.

The British were not averse to a sikh state but sikhs were not a majority in any of the districts in the undivided punjab.Only after partition and ethnic cleansing in both sides,did sikhs become majority in Indian punjab.

Ultimately it were the jatt sikhs who lost the most.The fertile canal colonies in the Majha,Central Punjab,Lahore,gujranwala,Sahiwal,Lyallpur which were developed by the toil of people from Amritsar,Jullundur and Ludhiana districts just a generation back were lost.So was Lahore,Rawalpindi and the Northwest where Hindus/Sikh Khatris had both agricultural land and valuable urban property.

The Muslims in Indian Punjab were far poorer and the property they left were poor compensation for the incoming population.This was one of the reasons for the turmoil in Punjab.

The Sikhs who were 'built' up by the British were also cheated by them.A yeomanry/nobility was given incentive to be different and the Anglo Saxons have always encouraged these separatist tendencies and instigated them have also cheated them most.Unfortunately the Akalis/SGPC do not realise that.One has to give it to the Anglo Saxons.

In modern India with OBC reservations now the norm,the original context which gave rise to the present Sikh identity has no relevance.From the religious viewpoint,Guru Nanak was the Vedantin who brought the message to the common man of Punjab.

In other parts of India,Dalits are converting to christianity or Buddhism for 'whatever' reasons.

Dr Ambedkar thought about Sikhism before deciding on Buddhism.It is sad that the original message of the Gurus is being denied to the dalits.But from the jatt sikh viewpoint,it might be felt that the erosion of Sikh identity might result in the endless 'confusion' of Hinduism and finally the erosion of the 'distinctive' character of Sikhism which has given a 'homeland',dignity,security and belief system.

We must realise this context before we jump in to accuse Dr MMS on everything.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Guru Arjun Dev Ji's martyrdom Day tomorrow. On this day , In Punjab Sweetened water with milk (Chabil) is distributed freely to all, especially travellers.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

krishnaP, Whats the context of Dr. MMS?
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

krishnapremi wrote: The brotherhood created had little respect for hierarchy.A contemperory account of a parade in Lahore during Ranjitsinghji's time recalls the Khalsa sikhs openly spitting at Maharaja Ranjitsinghji.Some scholars opine that is why the Maharaja trusted non Punjabis like Gulab Singh,Lal Singh,Tej Singh.On the other hand it is claimed that these rustic elements had no 'culture' and others feared Sikha Shahi.
Krishna Ji, I think you are confusing Nihangs with Jatt sikhs ^^ and in some other refernce like brotherhood or no hierarchy or rustic elements.

How many to Ranjit singhs top general were non Punjabis, do you have empirical evidence to prove that he didnt trusted Punjabis. Ranjit singh ji was a able leader and like any able leader his top generals had people with proven military skills and not caste/creed based alignment.

How many of "initial pure five" were Jatt sikhs as you claim that Jatt sikhs were the predominant element in Khalsa. Again any studies to prove this.

Undivided Indian punjab also included Delhi and HP apart from haryana.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

krishnapremi wrote:Airavat,

The Jat Sikhs were not fence sitters during Mughal rule.The Hindu upper castes were.Banda Bahadur was one of the few exceptions.We are talking about Late Aurangzeb,not Maharaja Ranjitsinghji when there was a general resurgence among Sikhs/Hindus.
Negotiations and diplomacy give breathing space, and time to consolidate, for the continuing war. These existed in all Indian powers during the medieval era. Hence Shivaji negotiated, The Mewar Maharanas and other Rajputs negotiated, Guru Gobind Singh negotiated, the Ahoms negotiated and so on. Therefore it is not surprising that the Sikhs negotiated and were accommodated as jagirdars and chieftains, and it is from these that the misls rose later on, and not from the Bandai Khalsa.
CalvinH wrote:Undivided Indian punjab also included Delhi and HP apart from haryana.
That is British Punjab. When Ranjit Singh's kingdom existed the boundary was drawn at the Sutlej River by the Treaty of Amritsar (1809) and the Sikh ruler was forbidden from keeping any large force near that river by the British.

That was also the boundary of Mughal Punjab (Lahore subah) which incidentally did not include the Multan region, a separate subah by itself. The Haryana belt was part of the Delhi subah, while most of HP was not under Mughal control.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

CalvinH,

That was a mistake.I admit.But the Nihangs were an important element in the Khalsa army.The Khalsa army was a national army and after Ranjitsingh,Hari Singh Nalwa the Lahore Durbar had no control over the Khalsa Army even within Lahore.

R.C.Majumdar Vol.VIII History and Culture of Indian People is a good reference.

Maharaja Ranjitsingh was beyond narrow considerations.Again i had worded it poorly.But he transformed the 'Sikh feudal theocracy' of the misls into a national monarchy.Also inevitably Hindu elements were prominent in leadership positions.This included non punjabis like Gulab Singh,a Dogra.Also Khatris were inevitably in high positions.As Indians we take pride in Maharaja's empire which included warriors like Zorawar Singh,a Dogra who won Ladakh and Baltistan.

But Sikh historians (with narrower vision) like AS Grewal have faulted Ranjitsinghji for weakening the 'Sikh' ideology.These worthies who are products of the Cunningham,Metcalfe,Mcleod(the latest) school have found fault in the Maharaja's broader understanding of Sikh religion.The Maharaja had profound faith in the Gurumat but had absolutely no problem with puranic hinduism.He saw no *difference* whatsoever.

Guru Nanak had spoken out against ritualistic hinduism.We in the rest of India are forever indebted to Him for saving Sanatana Dharma.He brought Vedanta and Bhakthi and compassion and common language to the masses of Punjab .The other Gurus who followed him did *not* think in terms of a new religion but of liberating the ancient religion from its shackles and giving it a NEW emphasis.

It was Guru Gobind Singhji who created the Khalsa for the express purpose of defending the land and also created the new community.The jat peasantry took to the new community.They were inspired by the new symbolism which realised the ideals of Nanak.For the first time in memory,the peasantry could become the masters of land.

It was this stirring that made the misls possible.In late medeival times only marathas and sikhs had this national spirit.The Jats of the Delhi religion were crushed by Mughal forces.

Neverthless the misls developed jealousies and were absorbed in Ranjitsinghjis kingdom.While peasant theocracies are romantic,maintaining armies and administration required expertise.

Also in Undivided Punjab,Jats were the single largest caste but were far from a majority.What I meant was,Maharaja Ranjitsinghji who had no obvious interest in misls and also from natural interests of his kingdom utilised the talents of all the people from his region and neighbouring region like Jammu.

Airavat,
I think i have made myself clear.

Ramanaji,
The reference to Dr.MMS is this.The making of the modern Indian nation is a continuing process.The arch scoundrel VP Singh injected poison into the developing democratic polity.Still it has brought large masses into the national mainstream.There is an element at the top which is 'used' to the idea of India.But more people are knocking at the doors.

In the medieval ages the Gurus 'empowered' Jats but that also brought strains.The Congress top leadership is predominantly Hindu upper caste.(Pranabda,Digvijay Singh,Dr MMS etc) but at the same time our polity has to 'take in' large numbers.

Of course this is a keyboard '(pseudo) intellectual' exercise inspired by the Lord's declaration: Guna and Karma determine...
Raju

Post by Raju »

It seems khalistanis are now involved in rewriting history.

Chandu brahman is to blame for Guru Arjan Dev's death and not Jehangir.

http://sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Martyrdom_of_Guru_Arjan
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I think a lot of this is down to the Khalistanis resident in UK and Canada. The amount of hate they have against India, Hindus etc has to be seen to be believed. Re-writing of even recent events, let alone something that happened 300 years ago is common place. If you speak to them, its as if speaking to Pakjabi... madarssa math figures regarding amount of people killed in Punjab, Lahori logic on the causes abound.

Apparently as per them, even the DSK affair was a Indian government conspiracy.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Tanaji and Krishnapremi,

Are the Khalistanis the progeny or idealogue children of the socially engineered Sikhs of the colonial era? To me they seem to train their swords on Hindus and seem to have lost the original message fo the tenth Guru.

Was this another covert Blunt project to forge alliances between the Pakjabis Muslims and the Sikhs?
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Ramanaji,
The Sikh Gurus did make a departure from Orthodox Hinduism.So it was inevitable that some friction would develop.But in the larger view,the Gurumat is the highest idealised Vedanta-Bhakthi .Guru Gobind Singhji ignited the shared communal identity for the needs of the day.

Given the nature of Colonial Govt,its hatred for Hindoos,given the ideals of French revolution the colonial project is understandable.

The British never thought of an alliance between pakjabis and Sikhs.In spite of a few commonalities,the gulf is unbridgeable.The British/Amirkhans have not thought that way.That is just not possible.

Whatever might be said or written on both sides,and that includes an arm chair intellectual like me,I would say it is best to ignore hardliners.They will die a natural death.Even while being sympathetic to Dalits,we must not in the least stereotype the dominant mainstream version.

The interests of land owners and labourers is not the same.Let us pray the Eternal message of the Gurus lives in our hearts and is always reflected in our actions.

The Khalistan movement in 1980s was a residue of the poison injected by the British.But in the 60 years after Independence,inspite of a few issues,new generations born and growing up in a free nation,an open society can judge things for themselves.

Let us not make a mountain of a molehill.

Infact we are united and are waiting with popcorn for the show to begin next door and then we can reap the rewards.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The Khalistan movement in 1980s was a residue of the poison injected by the British
Please explain.
Also'
So now tell me why was Pratap Singh Kairon killed by his own nephew? Growing up that was very traumatic.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

ramana wrote:
The Khalistan movement in 1980s was a residue of the poison injected by the British
Please explain.
Also'
So now tell me why was Pratap Singh Kairon killed by his own nephew? Growing up that was very traumatic.
Kairon was also associated with a lot of corrupt practices -- I know folks who thought it was just deserts. Maybe, the assassin felt the same way.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

When i was kid , i remember seeing few mehmans in the neighbourhood ,latter on i heard that they were Kairon's nemesis. i think one of them was hanged as he got death sentence .

One tactic Kairon used was to strip his antagonists of all the money and have them dropped far way in Desh . The hardship in coming back from Kolkatta or Jagdalpur without money was enough to teach them lesson , beside it earned him plenty of time to fix things before the return of his enemies . GOI should do same with Suuni terroists in the Valley and i am quite sure Desi public will make sure that these yahoos will be "reformed " for life .
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Khalistan movement is too painful to analyse,I will not.Sikhism is a Indic Dharmic religion.Some tried to make it a semitic faith.In the past alien forces have played mischief along certain fault lines.

Though the issues of religion are right up my alley,our traditions teach that argument is futile.Also some other socio-economic issues played the crucial part.It is not easy to discuss issues like Tat Khalsa movement or Sanatan Sikh sampradayas even after 125 years.Our polity is still evolving and though I might be able analyse issues of the past relatively dispassionately,it is beyond me to discuss the knotty issues of today.
Last edited by svenkat on 20 Jun 2009 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Fair enough and thanks for the reply.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

ramana wrote:Fair enough and thanks for the reply.
Ramana, given the above you might not want to discuss more...however, if it is ok, I was curious on why Kairon's assassination was very traumatic.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Akal Takht Jathedhar Joginder Singh Vedanti - Bluestar Eyewtiness Account
On June 4, 1984 I got up at 3 a.m. Exactly at 4 a.m., I along with my
wife Harbhajan Kaur, reached Sri Harmandir Sahib for my
duty as Ardasia Singh. Dr. Amrik Singh Huzuri Ragi’s jatha
was performing kirtan of Sri Asa Ji Di Var. At 4:30 when the
Palki Sahib arrived from Sri Akal Takht Sahib (Kotha Sahib),
the hukumnama was taken

Around 4:45 a.m., when kirtan of Sri
Asa Ji Di Var was on, a cannon ball
struck into the Sindhi Dharamshala.
This Dharamshala was towards the
north of Sri Akal Takht Sahib and was
between the Takht Sahib and the
Tharra Sahib. (This dharamshala was
later on demolished.) The cannon ball
seemed to have come from the
Jallianwala Bagh side. Three or four
minutes after that, massive indiscriminate
firing started which went on till
8:30 p.m.

Off and on, the cannon balls kept
falling at various places, but till this day,
no bullet struck inside Sri Harmandir
Sahib. As a matter of precaution, we
had shut the doors and windows of Sri
Harmandir Sahib. I and Singh Sahib
Giani Sohan Singh ji came out of Sri
Harmandir Sahib at 9:30 in the morning
after our duty and reached our respective
residences inside the complex.

On the evening of June 4, the Nitnem
was concluded at 8 p.m. That day the
holy saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahibji
was not taken to Kotha Sahib. Rather
the Sukh Asan was performed at Har Ki
Pauri itself. At around 10 p.m., power
supply to Sri Darbar Sahib and buildings
around was cut off and army had
organized positions on the tall buildings
around Darbar Sahib.

From 10 p.m. till 5 a.m. of June 5, the
firing was very subdued. When I
reached Sri Harmandir Sahib at 4 a.m.
on June 5 for my duty, Bhai Amrik
Singh was performing kirtan of Asa Di
Var and Giani Sohan Singh with the
help of some sevadars was bringing
down the Saroop of Sri Guru Granth
Sahib from Har Ki Pauri. Hukumnama
was taken after prakash.

At 4:55, there was a hail of cannon
balls, and eight of them continuously
struck the Sindhi Dharamshala since
they were trying to target Sri Akal
Takht Sahib. Firing struck all around
the Parikarma and inside Sri
Harmandir Sahib. The doors of Sri
Harmandir Sahib were shut. Some 4-5
Akhand Pathi Singhs, 15-20 sevadars
and a few devotees were present inside
Sri Harmandir Sahib. Among them
were S Harcharan Singh Hudiyara, Shahid Bhai Fauja
Singh’s wife Bibi Amarjit Kaur and sister
Bibi Paramjit Kaur.
This Bibi Paramjit Kaur was martyred
near Baba Sawiya Singh’s
chabeel. Around 11:30, five of us,
including myself, Singh Sahib Giani
Sohan Singh ji and three sevadars
reached our quarters negotiating our
way through the firing.

Near Baba Sawaye Singh’s chabeel
from where steps led to my residence,
many corpses of the martyred Singhs
were lying. My residence was also not
safe because some Singhs had already
organized positions there. Among
them were a few Singhs who had come
from Nanded. We saw that these Singhs
were bravely countering the firing by
tanks, which was coming from
Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Bunga
side.

These Singhs blew up an
artillery group along with
the soldiers which was trying
to enter from the rear
Papran Bazaar side.
Around 12:30 p.m. of
June 5, I came along
with my family to the
store where wet garments
are stored.
There was already a
big crowd of Singhs
in this store. We
thought it better to
go back to our residence
after more than an hour spent in
the store.

Around 1:30 that day, the water tank
opposite Guru Ram Das serai was
blown up. Some 200 shots were fired at
the water tank. Around 8 p.m., the
army tried to surround Sri Akal Takht
Sahib by trying to enter from the
Papran Bazaar side. The Singhs from our side
threw something on those
soldiers and we heard loud
cries of “Mar diya, Mar
diya.”
Perhaps all the soldiers
down below were killed. Then the
army men brought a heavy gun mounted
on a jeep. But the Singhs did not
allow this jeep to move much. These
Singhs exhibited exemplary bravery
till the very end. Around 9:45 in the
night, a small tank entered the parikarma.
A cannon ball fired by this tank
struck our corner room. One of the
Singhs who was left downstairs by his
associates was injured in this room.
Around midnight, the army was able
to take control of this side. Before that,
around 10:30 in the night, a few tanks
had entered the parikarma from the
Langar hall side. Next day, one tank
passed by the chabeel at Baba Deep
Singh ji and then the Shaheed Bunga
spot. These tanks then fired poison gas
balls at Sri Akal Takht Sahib. This gas
affected even our side. These tanks kept
the firing on all through the night. The
bullets kept coming inside our house.
Around 8:45 on the morning of June
6 took place the massive battle in front
of Sri Akal Takht Sahib. The army had
taken control on all sides except Sri
Akal Takht Sahib and the corner on
our side where the Bungas were located.
On June 6, at 4:05 p.m., the army
made an announcement using mega
phones asking everyone in the complex
to come out within 30 minutes. Initially
we were in a dilemma, but when we
saw Bhai Gurdip Singh Ardasiya and
other sevadars coming out of Sri
Harmandir Sahib, we also came down
from our quarters. We had only locked
the outer gate and had merely bolted
the rooms. A bit of cash, a couple of
watches and some other costly stuff
that we had put in a bag, was immediately
snatched away by the army men.
Near the Deodhi towards the south,
they tied my hands behind my back
using the small dastar tied on my head.
At this time, my wife Harbhajan Kaur,
mother-in-law Pritam Kaur, sister-inlaw
Kashmir Kaur and nephew
Sukhwinder Singh were with me.
When we were arrested, we saw a nearly
20-day old child also lying dead near
the chabeel. All around the parikarma
and the rooms, there were many children
and elderly devotees who had
been martyred.

The arrested men and women were
divided into groups of 40 and were
handed over to different units of the
army. Members of my family and I
were in the same group. At this time,
Akal Takht Sahib and Darshini Deodhi
were both on fire. The 40 of us arrested
were brought out alongside the Dukh
Bhanjani Beri and then out of the
Clock Tower deodhi and made to sit on
the debris of the building that had
gathered after so much firing.
Women and children were then separated
from the men.

Stuck in the heavy firing ever since
the major battle of the morning of
June 6, Huzuri Ragi Bhai Amrik Singh
and Bhai Balwant Singh, both blind,
alongside Bhai Avtar Singh and Bhai
Gurcharan Singh were killed near the
Laachi Beri by the soldiers. The ishnanghars
(bathing places) both for
males and females were full of corpses.
The army men to whom our custody
was given were either Madraasi or
Bihari. If anyone asked for water or
wanted to go to the urinals, he would
immediately be kicked or beaten with
rifle butts.

We were brought here around 4:30 in
the evening. Around 7 p.m., a few commandos
came with a bunch of photographs
and scanned our faces to see if
any matched with the mugs they had.
The one question we were being asked
throughout was — “Where Bhinder
has gone?”

Till 10 p.m., we were off an on kicked
and beaten with rifle butts. When the
children and the elderly started crying
badly because of thirst, the soldiers
gave us each a glass of water. As
our hands were tied behind our
backs, the soldiers put the glasses to
our lips. That’s how we had water.
Later, four young men from our
group were pulled out and they were
beaten very badly. In the evening
when we were brought there, there
were four corpses in front of the
Punjab and Sind Bank. But by the
time it was morning, these had
become 13 corpses. Whosoever they
wanted to kill, they would first call
him out and take him outside.
Till midnight, we kept sitting there,
heads down and our hands tied
behind our backs. After midnight, we
were ordered to lie down. But with
our hands tied it was not possible to
lie down properly and we lay sideways,
between life and death.

Around 7 in the morning of June 7,
some army men standing nearby
were sending messages on the wireless
that Sant Bhindranwala has been
killed and “we are fully in control of
the Golden Temple.”
Around 8 a.m., cars of senior army
officers started arriving. Three army
trucks rolled in full of ammunition,
including rifles, swords and even
spears. All these weapons were taken
to Akal Takht Sahib. These were the
weapons that were later shown to the
people during various photo-ops.
Corpses of two senior army officers
who were shot dead by the fighting
Sikhs inside the Golden Temple
complex were brought out covered in
white sheets. Then a corpse was
brought out which was said to be that
of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwala.
This was covered with a yellow cloth
and was placed on a slab of ice in the
Deodhi of the Clock Tower side.
The information officer of the
Golden Temple, Narinderjit Singh
Nanda, was also with us. He was tortured
very badly during the night.
Now the army men took Narinderjit
Singh Nanda and Bhai Harcharan
Singh Huzuri Ragi to identify Sant
Jarnail Singh’s body. When they
came back, I asked Bhai Harcharan
Singh Ragi if it was indeed the body
of the Sant. He said that the face was
beyond identification. A bullet had
gone through the neck and a sure
identification was not possible but it
did seem that of Sant Bhindranwale.
Between 8 and 9 a.m. of June 7,
some army men dragged the wife of
Ragi Bhai Jagir Singh, brother of the
well known late Ragi Bhai Gopal
Singh, from their residence towards
the Clock Tower. She was crying very
loudly and kept on shouting that
these army men pulled out her husband
from the room and have shot
him dead. Then she fell unconscious
and was taken to the hospital where
she could not survive the shock and
died. Similarly a large number
of sevadars at Sri Darbar
Sahib along with their
families were shot at
point blank range by the
army men.

Around noon of June 7, our hands
were untied so that we can have food.
It is necessary to tell here where the
food came from. This food was prepared
and distributed by a group of
shopkeepers who were celebrating
the army attack on Golden Temple
and were openly happy at the killing
of the Sant. The tea, chapatis, puris,
curries and lentils were in good supply.
We were sent this same food. You
can well imagine how we partook of
this food.

After we had eaten, our hands were
tied again. Around 3 p.m., we were
asked to board the army trucks. It
was difficult to climb in because of
our tied hands but the soldiers would
badly beat up anyone who slackened
his pace.
Sardar Singh, the sevadar of Baba
Sham Singh dera who used to bring a
deg every day during the chowki at
dawn, found it difficult to climb into
the trucks and was beaten so badly
that he died by the time he reached
the camp jail set up inside a school.
Similarly, the sevadar of Gathhri
Ghar (where belongings of devotees
are deposited for safe custody), Bhai
Kikar Singh alias Kulwant Singh,
whose legs were deformed also could
not survive the torture from the army
men and died on June 9 inside the
army camp.

Some 50 of us were locked in a single
small room on the first floor of the
school. People were crying because of
thirst and hunger. Women and children
were taken away. There was a
single tap inside a bathroom from
where all of us used to drink water of
take bath. Only stale chapatis were
given to us twice a day.
Every person was separately interrogated
and we were repeatedly photographed.
After intensive interrogation
and investigation, I, alongside 83
other employees of the SGPC was
released on June 17, but other members
of my family and other visitors
to the Darbar Sahib were not released
and were rather sent to jail. On June
28, I was able to get bail for them.
After being released on June 17, on
June 18 I went straight to the Sikh
Reference library, to which I was
closely associated as a researcher. I
found the holy handwritten Saroops
of Guru Granth Sahib and many
ancient manuscripts, historical documents,
etc missing.

Till date, the government of the
country says that all of this was lost
in a fire at the library but the truth is
that all this stuff was taken away by
the army because at that time there
was no sign of a fire.
I was perhaps not so saddened by
all that my family and I went through,
than by the realization that the historical
heritage of the Sikh quom has
been lost.
I went to my residence where the
lock was broken and the army men
had taken away every single thing
including utensils and clothes. Sitting
in front of the Clock Tower, we had
given up all hope for life but I am eternally
grateful to the Akal Purakh who
gave me the opportunity to continue
an association with Sadh Sangat for
some more time.
http://worldsikhnews.com/10%20June%2020 ... %20web.pdf
Raju

Post by Raju »

review of Vedanti article ..
Vedanti Sahib, Why?
by Sach Kanwal Singh

Former Jathedar of Sri Akal
Takht Giani Joginder Singh
Vedanti deserves gratitude
for finding the time and the
inclination for writing this
eyewitness account. It is not clear
why the account from the terrible
days from an authority as high as a
former top cleric is so sketchy, but
that is not the main point here. It is
not clear why Jathedar Vedanti
should provide such an account to
one newspaper, Ajit, only for exclusive
publishing rights.
There could be
several views on his choice of the
vehicle to let the world know what he
went through, but that is not the main
point here.
The main point is rather simple,
and one which can only be responded
to by Jathedar Vedanti. The Sikh
nation is well aware of the circumstances
in which Giani Joginder
Singh Vedanti came to be installed as
the Jathedar of Sri Akal Takht Sahib,
the supreme seat of temporal authority
for the Sikhs. It is also only too
well aware of the circumstances in
which Jathedar Vedanti was removed
by the SGPC top brass in keeping
with the whims and fancies of
Prakash Singh Badal-Sukhbir Singh
Badal.
All that we feel tempted to ask is
this. The experiences that Jathedar
Vedanti went through during the
tragic days, as is clear from the
account he has himself penned, were
life changing. The former cleric himself
writes that at one stage he had
given up any hope for survival. His
hands were tied, he was kicked, beaten,
humiliated, arrested. He saw the
Akal Takht under attack, he saw it
being burnt down. Any Sikh could
never have been the same, and we
have no reason to believe that
Jathedar Vedanti was ever the same
man again. Like any Sikh, his heart
also was torn asunder at such scenes.
The fact that the very next day after
his release he rushed to the Sikh
Library instead of running about to
get his family freed shows how deeply
he was moved and how concerned he
was to find out about the invaluable
Sikh heritage of manuscripts, historical
documents and objects at the
Library.

What surprises is what made a
man like Joginder Singh Vedanti,
first hand eye witness to an event of
such momentous proportions, kowtow
to the likes of Prakash Singh
Badal and Sukhbir Singh Badal, claymen
like Avtar Singh Makkar or
sundry messengers of the Akali ruling
family of Lambi? He saw the
Singhs fighting, he knew what it
means to safeguard the maryada of
the gurughar, yet he suffered in
silence when he was ordered about on
every issue. Right from his conduct in
the Dera Baba Dhanwant Singh case
to his muted opposition to the
Noormehlias to his wavering on the
issue of Dera Sirsa to his actions of
accepting/not accepting apologies
from Sirsa to his cancellation of the
Ratia rally, Jathedar Vedanti seemed
to have lost the script. He had seen
simple men and women, inspired by
the high ideals, writing a glorious
script with their blood, but he himself
demurred when it came to simply
standing by his principles and put in
a resignation that would have
brought some embarrassment to
those out to sell the soul of the Sikh
nation to brahamanical powers.
“I only want that I should leave
when the mela is in full swing,”
Jathedar Vedanti once told a Sikhism
scholar. Alas, he was not allowed to
even fulfill that minimal demand. He
saw men of destiny leaving this world
at the edge of the sword because they
believed in what they preached. His
account of Operation Bluestar is a
testimony to that. He himself could
not even find a graceful exit as
Badals’ minion limpets stood at his
door asking for his resignation. His
exit is a testimony of that. It is high
time, Jathedar Joginder Singh
Vedanti ji, for you to write the entire
truth, the complete truth, of your
leadership at the Takht too. The
Takht for whose sanctity you saw
brave men and women choosing to be
blown to smithereens but refusing to
buckle. You are already retired.
Choose to stand up and be counted.
Take up a pen, and say the truth. Rest
assured, the Sikh Nation will ensure
that you exit this world when the
mela is in full swing all around you.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Incidentally, when one reads a lot of articles on the Khalistani sites, you can see a pattern. A lot of them have the same style of writing, albeit under different names. The narrative style is quite similar as to one used when describing the tribulations of the Sikh Gurus, no doubt on purpose. Secondly, a lot of the atrocities are repetitive and similar even when separated in time and space. Quite similar to the usual "pregnant women killed foetus torn away" type we hear in Hindu Muslim riotes.

There is probably a small sliver of truth in all the descriptions, but time and vested interests have embellished it quite a lot.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Gurus here, I am trying to find out why was congress party so pissed off with Sikhs. IMO, IG's assassination was just a trigger for the INC goons to do what they had been waiting to do. Was there any akali-inc tiff going on which had resulted in inc getting booted out of punjab ?? In one sentence the question is "what was the inspiration behind the riots in 1984"
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

suryag wrote:Gurus here, I am trying to find out why was congress party so pissed off with Sikhs. IMO, IG's assassination was just a trigger for the INC goons to do what they had been waiting to do. Was there any akali-inc tiff going on which had resulted in inc getting booted out of punjab ?? In one sentence the question is "what was the inspiration behind the riots in 1984"
Punjab was one of first few states of India where INC lost power to another alliance of SAD and Bharatiya Jan Sangh, hence INC set out to eliminate the power of SAD and BJS by creating a parallel panthic power in form of Bhindranwale (bit like Raj Thakrey of today) and the rest as they say is history.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

munna wrote:
suryag wrote:Gurus here, I am trying to find out why was congress party so pissed off with Sikhs. IMO, IG's assassination was just a trigger for the INC goons to do what they had been waiting to do. Was there any akali-inc tiff going on which had resulted in inc getting booted out of punjab ?? In one sentence the question is "what was the inspiration behind the riots in 1984"
Punjab was one of first few states of India where INC lost power to another alliance of SAD and Bharatiya Jan Sangh, hence INC set out to eliminate the power of SAD and BJS by creating a parallel panthic power in form of Bhindranwale (bit like Raj Thakrey of today) and the rest as they say is history.
Thank you Munnaji. I understand that they lost power and Bhindranwaala was one of their creations, but is that the only reason behind such great anger in the INC guys?
HKL Bhagat and Sajjan Kumar(jat) were OBCs did that have to do anything with the killings of the Sikhs. How much of Ved Marwah's report is in public domain?
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

suryag wrote: Thank you Munnaji. I understand that they lost power and Bhindranwaala was one of their creations, but is that the only reason behind such great anger in the INC guys?
HKL Bhagat and Sajjan Kumar(jat) were OBCs did that have to do anything with the killings of the Sikhs. How much of Ved Marwah's report is in public domain?
I think what needs to be understood is that main brunt of the anti-Sikh riots in 1984 was borne by Bhappa (urban) sikhs and other trading castes of Sikhs in Delhi and not Jatts. Caste dynamics had less to do with the riots but more with the fact that for INC which believed in India is Indira her assassination was an unforgivable sin and they set out to seek mindless revenge on people who were at best distant cousins of their militant brethren in Punjab.
Raju

Post by Raju »

Tanaji wrote:Incidentally, when one reads a lot of articles on the Khalistani sites, you can see a pattern. A lot of them have the same style of writing, albeit under different names. The narrative style is quite similar as to one used when describing the tribulations of the Sikh Gurus, no doubt on purpose. Secondly, a lot of the atrocities are repetitive and similar even when separated in time and space. Quite similar to the usual "pregnant women killed foetus torn away" type we hear in Hindu Muslim riotes.

There is probably a small sliver of truth in all the descriptions, but time and vested interests have embellished it quite a lot.
Vedanti was believed to be a pro-establishment (pro-badal/Akali Dal) person. So it was rather surprising that he had kept all this bottled up within him all this while.

Secondly I would like to know what are the slivers you feel are truth in all these accounts. It would help me know you better, if nothing else.
Suryag wrote:Sajjan Kumar(jat)
gujjar.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Secondly I would like to know what are the slivers you feel are truth in all these accounts. It would help me know you better, if nothing else
With you, there are always deeper meanings to everything...

I meant that I think it is true that the IA underestimated the amount of resistance they would find at the Akal Takht. A lot of the Sikhs inside probably fought till the last man. Also, the defences planned out by the former IA soldier (Dilbeg Singh?) were the most formidable with gun positions opening out at knee level: this caused a lot of casualties. Also must have contributed to the IA in bringing the tank...

I don't know if there has been an official account of the BlueStar operation.... if you have those, pointers would be appreciated. I have just come across individual accounts.

I have no idea how those arrested were treated... but IA does not hold arresting powers so the civilian authority must have taken custody. No prizes on guessing how that was at the time.

What about you Raju, what do you believe?
Raju

Post by Raju »

I believe IG wanted to 'energize/radicalize' the border areas of India near Pak to help in a final assault on Western Pakistan, apart from the natural advantage of marginalizing Akalis and gaining a state for her party, but since West pak had escaped the fate of their Eastern front. The main obstacle to that plan started when her Bhinderanwale plan went horribly wrong, and after her death, Cong-led GoI decided to punish ordinary people mostly Sikhs in what was basically a failure of their part. They screwed up and yet instead of admitting it and stepping out with whatever honor they had left, decided to take it out on the people.

Sikhs were always a people who spoke/heard from the heart. It would be better if one could keep silence rather than parrot some psy-ops by either side. It would be better to clear the air rather than confuse further or allow folks who believe that they are speaking the truth to be stereotyped and lose the thrust of their message. I believe there was some level of psy-ops on both sides with the status-quo side being a bit heavier.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

I think the GoI has messed up by not prosecuting Tytler, Bhagat to the fullest extent. At the very least they should not have had tickets given to them by the Congress party. That would be a token apology in this drama.

I fear that we are at the same crossroads now, the only major difference is that there is no Pakistan to take advantage in a meaningful way. The issues of the Deras are serious and need to be addressed. But it can only be done by the Sikh community. The GoI has so far taken a hands off affair, which is the correct attitude. But who knows, in the future, there would be a short sighted leader, be it Cong or BJP, that would meddle in the affairs of the Deras, and project one to be better than the others.

It would be Bhindrenwale all over again. Luckily Pakistan is not in a position to do anything significant.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

My profound apologies to Sikhs,if I have stereotyped our fellow countrymen.

Thanks to Raju Saar for bringing this up.

In fact stereotypes can be done not only by Britishers and JNU wallahs.In fact,I was wondering how to correct my armchair perspective.Particularly,the way too sweeping remarks on Sikh identity(not withstanding British role) and a 'Hindu' perspective on Sikh religion.I was reading the Vedanta-Bhakthi perspective into Sikhism.But it is the practicing Sikh who should have the only word.I feel my posts can be seen as disrespectful from perspective of a prayerful Sikh.

I request Surinderji and SBajwaji to give their comments.In fact,they seem to have stopped commenting on other threads as well.This is tragic.Bharat Rakshak should strengthen our bonds,not exacerbate differences.I request them to come back and not take offence.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Raju wrote:I believe IG wanted to 'energize/radicalize' the border areas of India near Pak to help in a final assault on Western Pakistan, apart from the natural advantage of marginalizing Akalis and gaining a state for her party, but since West pak had escaped the fate of their Eastern front. The main obstacle to that plan started when her Bhinderanwale plan went horribly wrong, and after her death, Cong-led GoI decided to punish ordinary people mostly Sikhs in what was basically a failure of their part. They screwed up and yet instead of admitting it and stepping out with whatever honor they had left, decided to take it out on the people.

Sikhs were always a people who spoke/heard from the heart. It would be better if one could keep silence rather than parrot some psy-ops by either side. It would be better to clear the air rather than confuse further or allow folks who believe that they are speaking the truth to be stereotyped and lose the thrust of their message....
Raju, What is the belief based on? And what was the end game? Also how and why did the Bindrenwala plan go awry? Somewhere the message was lost and acquired a life of its own.

I agree that clearing the air is the best option.
CalvinH
BRFite

Post by CalvinH »

Sajjan Kumar (Gehlot) is a Jat and not gujjar.

1984 riots are most prominent in outer delhi and were nothing but overzealous INC local leader trying to prove their loyalty to the crown by taking on outnumbered sikhs in multiple localities. Most of these sikhs have nothing to do with politics and belonged low income class group. Congress was a dominant party than with no dearth of local leader trying to outdo each other to prove themselves to the higher brass. It was pure political thing led by few people like Tytler, bhagat and Sajjan Kumar only and in my opinion nothing more than that.

Why do you need to energize/radicalize a border area to take on Pakistan. Whats the need and end objective. How will it help in weakening pakistan or facilitating victory in event of a war. Beats me completely.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Admins, is it possible to start similar threads for other border communities like Northeast history, Bengal history, Tamil history, Kashmir history, Ladakh history, Gujarat history and so on?
sukhdeo
BRFite

Post by sukhdeo »

Vahiguru ji ka Khalsa, Vahiguru ji ki Fateh !
shaardula
BRF Oldie

Post by shaardula »

were the people who now constitute the sikhs always warriors? how did they develop such martial thinking to invent things like gatka for example. purely a product of times and a measure of suffering people of the region faced? i am sure the sikh gurus had something to do with instilling these notions of chivalry. but what strain were the gurus themselves made of and for some reason the people were able to absorb their message.

another thing is the sikh revolution like all other indian 'revolutions' consists of a line of gurus. which means things evolved over a period of time and were sustained for a long duration. one guy doesnt come in india and change things willy nilly. you take anybody, alwars, dasas, jangamas etc etc always a sustained group effort.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Post by Yayavar »

shaardula wrote:were the people who now constitute the sikhs always warriors? how did they develop such martial thinking to invent things like gatka for example. .
gatka is "secular" afaik...i.e. not limited to the sikh warriors...
Raju

Post by Raju »

Can anybody analyse the formation of Singh Sabha movement and the british role in it ? I think it will answer a lot of questions.
sukhdeo
BRFite

Post by sukhdeo »

Jo bole woh nihal, Sat Srii Akaal !
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

sukhdeo wrote:Jo bole woh nihal, Sat Srii Akaal !
WKWJF
This mighht be Ot but i heard that Sri Guru Hargobing Singh ji was physically so strong that he could remove the carving / Chaaap on Mughal metal coins of that time just by rubbing with his thumb.
Raju

Post by Raju »

>> Singh Sabha movement

especially the role of Mcauliffe, he seems to be the main British node for de-sanatanisation of mainstream Siikhism.

his interpretations of sikh literature seem particularly motivated.
Nirantar
BRFite

Post by Nirantar »

OT, but could not resist.
Whenever I feel low, I read this again and again. Probably, the greatest general of modern era:-
How the vast Afghani Empire on Punjabi soil disappeared in Kasur, Multan, Kashmir and Peshawar is a subject closely associated with the campaigns of Sardar Hari Singh Nalua, the Marshal of the Khalsa and terror for the Afghans. Being the 'Murat of the Khalsa' as he was appropriately called by Sir Henry Griffin, the famous British dignitary and a prominent writer of significant treatise on the Sikhs, his name figures among those patriots who participated bravely rather passionately in almost all battles fought constantly against the Afghans during the Sikh rule under Maharaja Ranjit Singh for a period of three decades from A.D. 1807 to A.D. 1837.

Sardar Hari Singh Nalua, the typical product of his age was born at Gujranwala now in the West Pakistan in A.D. 1791 in Uppal family in the house of Sardar Gurdial Singh to Dharam Kaur. He was the only son of his parents. The ancestors of Nalua Sardars were originally from Majitha town situated in the vicinity of Amritsar. His grandfather Sardar Hardas Singh engaged in the service of Sukarchakia Misl was killed in an expedition undertaken by the Misl in A.D. 1762. Gurdial Singh, the father of Sardar Hari Singh Nalua followed the profession of his father and took part in various campaigns of Sukarchakia Sardars - Charat Singh and Mahan Singh in the capacity of Deradar .

He expired in 1798 when Hari Singh was only seven years of age and was thus looked after with care and caution by his maternal uncle who took him to his house. In those days training in the feats of war was deemed necessary and physical education attracted much attention. Accordingly, Hari Singh who was physically quite stout and strong and impressive too in appearance when grew up, learnt the art of warfare. It is said that he was indefatigable and could sit on horse back for long hours. Hari Singh received his preliminary education in languages of Gurmukhi, Urdu, Persian. Baron Charles Hugel states that Hari Singh besides his general knowledge about the statistics of many of the European states, was well versed in Persian. He impressed him extremely with his overall achievements.

Hari Singh was administered Pahul when grew up and assumed the responsibility of supervising the affairs of his father's jagir. Hari Singh presented himself before Maharaja Ranjit Singh in his open darbar which he used to hold for a week or so on the eve of Basant fair every year. The Maharaja was so impressed by the feats of chivalry shown by him that he was taken in the royal service as a personal khidmatgar or an attendant. Maharaja commissioned him in 1804 A.D. by granted him a command of 700 footmen and horses with the honour of Sardar. Why Hari Singh is called "Nalua" and not Uppal. The reason is that he came to be know by the said title by way of an incident which took place during the early days of his joining the service of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. During the course of hunting expedition he happened to be a victim of a sudden attack of a tiger. The attack was so suttle and unexpected that he did not gain time to pull out his sword. Sardar Hari Singh Nalua faced the crucial situation with such boldness that he managed to catch hold of the jaw of the beast forcefully with his hands and pushed it away with the prowess of arms arranging thus to kill it with his sword. Baron Charles Hugel says he was called Nalua for 'having cloven the head of a tiger who had already seized him as its pray'.

The Sikhs often passing through a series of vicissitudes, first establish themselves as a political power in the Punjab in 1765 A.D. But their mode of fighting then was desultory and hardly suited to the requirements of a well-settled state, However Maharaja Ranjit Singh 'Built up a strong , centralized and effectively controlled military system by amalgamating the best elements in foreign with best elements found in the indigenous fighting mechanisms. Hari Singh Nalua's significant military campaign was that of Kasur, the so called 'mythological rival of Lahore', in 1807 A.D. Hari Singh Nalua along with Sardar Jodh Singh Ramgarhia, Sardar Nihal Singh Attari, Baba Akali Phula Singh, Fateh Singh Ahluwalia, Dhanna Singh Malwai, and Sardar Fateh Singh Kalianwala marched on to Kasur to subjugate its Afghani owner Kutab-ud-din Khan. Sikhs laid siege for three months after which Kutab-ud-din Khan surrendered. Hari Singh Nalua, of course, was the first to march inside the city gate of Kasur with his division called 'Sher-Dil-Rajman.' The troops under him caught Kutab-Ud-Din alive and presented him before Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Maharaja Ranjit Singh made him retire to a territory of Mamdot as a jagir, subject to his supplying 100 horsemen for service when required.

Sardar Hari Singh Nalua's next significant military achievement was to reduce to submission Sardar Jiwan Singh, the ruler of Sialkot who was asked by the Maharaja to surrender his possessions. Jiwan Singh gave tough fight for two days after which he raised his hands in peace. The strategic significance of Sialkot lay in the fact that it was a very fertile tract extending its dimensions up to Jammu. Moreover, Maharaja Ranjit Singh after bringing to submission a major part of the Central Punjab made it a centre of his further political aggrandizement.

Hari Singh Nalua's next significant military achievement was the conquest of Multan. before annexing Multan in 1818 A.D., six expeditions were sent by the suzerain of Lahore. Resultantly tribute was collected every time, annexation was never visualized and attempted. Hari Singh contributed in all of these six campaigns as well as conquest of Multan. Multan had a great commercial and strategic importance having been the gateway of Afghanistan. It is stated that working boats from the Jhelum, Ravi and Chenab were forced to work for invariable supply of provisions. Illahi Bux of the artillery forces of Ranjit Singh made conspicuous arrangements for battering the forts of Multan. During Mughal rule it was an important headquarter and fell into Afghan custody after the fall of empire. After Multan, Sardar Hari Singh also subjugated the territories of Mitha Tiwana, Rajauri, Naushera, etc. from which strip tribute was realized for the kingdom of Lahore.

Then Maharaja turned towards Kashmir. Hari Singh Nalua's regiment was in forefront in campaign to get back Shah Shuja from the Governor of Kashmir, Shah Shuja's wife Wafa Begum had promised Kohinoor Diamond for Maharaja if her husband was to be freed from prison of Kashmir. In 1814 A.D., Hari Singh forces routed Kashmiris forces. Shah Shuja gave Ranjit Singh Kohinoor Diamond, from that day on till his death Maharaja Ranjit Singh wore that Diamond on his right shoulder, it was his pride. Hari Singh Nalua was appointed Governor of Kashmir. Immediately, he ordered to ban cow slaughter, such was an effect that to this day, Kashmiri Muslims don't eat beef. Jaziya, etc , the taxes which Hindu and Sikh population had to pay to their Muslim rulers for "not being a Muslim" were eradicated. For these obvious reasons, several Muslim historian had labelled Hari Singh Nalua as a tyrant. His rule they called "Sikha Shahi" or the "Rule of Sikhs." But no matter what, Hari Singh Nalua and his forces never destroyed any Mosques or abducted Muslim Women, etc. all those atrocities which Mughals and Pathans had committed on the local non-Muslims population. (It was around 1700's A.D that majority of Punjabi population became Muslim owing to the atrocities by Aurangzeb the sixth Mughal emperor) .

The Afghanis of North West region across river Indus around Peshawar were divided into several tribes (They still are). They were sort of savage people which would not obey any rule. From time to time the Punjabi forces from Lahore were sent there to put them down. Each time they would offer some tribute and then again revolt. To totally take control of these areas Maharaja Ranjit Singh give command to Hari Singh Nalua. Also to stop the attacks of Afghanis on Punjabi soil, Maharaja Ranjit Singh and others decided to put a series of forts to built up the defenses of the Punjabi frontier. From Attock to the Khyber Pass series of small forts were built under Hari Singh Nalua to keep Afghanis in check. The most important part of this fortification was to put a complete halt at invaders who had attacked India entering from Khyber pass in West, starting with Greeks in 500 B.C.. So after 2300 Years of constant defeat and humiliation of Punjabi and Indian people Maharaja Ranjit Singh was able to totally shut down this historic route of invasion into India. It had been used by Greeks, Turks, Arabs, Mughals, Mongols, Tatars, Afghanis, etc. And on top of that there is no denying fact that Maharaja Ranjit Singh was quite conscious of the significance of North West frontier province for the defense of his territorial acquisitions.

A significant battle was fought here by Hari Singh Nalua when he defeated and caught the self styled Rajput chief Ghulam ali and send him over to Lahore. Maharaja was so happy that he allowed Hari Singh to strike a coin in his name in Kashmir. Then in the tract of Pakhli and Dhamtur Nalua with his usual sagacity and vision, was able to pacify a revolt against the Lahore court arising in the region. This is also acknowledged by Syed Mohd. Latif, a biased famous Punjabi Muslim historian. Henry Lepel Griffin in connection with Sardar Nalua in Pakhli states "obedience was not an easy to Hari Singh for wild mountaineers to the number of 20,000 opposed to his passage, on this way to mankera and at Pakli he was compelled to halt with his force of 7,000 men. Pakli has long been a spot dreaded by merchants, for the hillmen of that place were accustomed to demand a toll on shawl, wood and other merchandise. Hari Singh after vain efforts to induce the enemy to yield him a passage, attacked them with vigor, and storming their blockades defeated them with great slaughter. After this he imposed a fine of Rs 5 on each house in the district.

Since virtually peace in Punjab was only possible by sealing the border of Kabul, and Peshawar being geographically situated in its close proximity was an indispensable asset for Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Thus, ultimately the strip of Peshawar became the bone of contention between Maharaja and Afghanis. After the conquest of Attock, Maharaja's solid and concrete target of conquest was Peshawar as the exigency of time so demanded.

The murder of Wazir Fateh Khan of Kabul in A.D. 1818 provided Maharaja the desired opportunity to attempt the conquest of Peshawar as consequent to his murder the two major factions of the Afghans-The Sadazui's and Barqzai's-came to be seen at dagger's drawn with each other. Moreover, the possession of Peshawar except as a step to further acquisitions, does not appear to have been advantageous to Ranjeet with additional evil of leading Sikhs into constant collision with the savage tribes of Afghanis.

Maharaja Ranjit Singh availed himself of anarchy in Kabul and made as invasion of Peshawar, the South-West-Eastern frontiers of Peshawar with Punjab having been neglected by Sultan Yar Mohammed Khan and Dost Mohammad Khan, the then Afghan governors of Peshawar who found themselves helpless and vacated the city. Punjabi forces with Mian Ghausa and Diwan Mohkam Chand leading the charge With Sardar Nalua as general of Cavalry didn't had to face any fight what so ever. Maharaja appointed Jahan Dad Khan, ex governor of Attock as new governor of Peshawar in November 1818.

Then in 1822, Dost Mohammad Khan and Yar Mohammad Khan were able to expel the Maharaja's nominee Jahan Dad Khan from Peshawar and thus another expedition was undertook by Punjabi forces. This time the forces were being led by cavalry by Sardar Hari Singh Nalua, Foot soldiers by Dhanna Singh Malwai, and Jagat Singh Attariwala, Artillery by Mian Ghausa. Dost Mohammad Khan managed to reconcile by paying a handsome nazrana to Maharja and by accepting the submission to Khalsa kingdom rather than to kingdom of Kabul. In Jan 1823, Muhammad Azim, the Kabul wazir occupied Peshawar with the assistance of large army. Ranjit Singh sent another expedition, the battles of Jahangira and Naushera were fought in March 1823 where Sardar Nalua, Akali Phula Singh, Gorkha Bal Bhadra, Mian Ghausa, Misr Diwan Chand, Sardar Attar Singh marched in the battle field at the head of their divisions and gave a defeat to the Afghans in the battle of Jahangira but a more serious and awe inspiring battle was fought at Naushera which is also known as the battle of Tibbi Tehri. General Allard and Ventura's participation in this battle with their divisions and trained army of Lahore kingdom with Akali division of the army had absolutely no match for untrained militia who although surpassed in sheer numbers, Afghans after a great massacre submitted and Naushera was captured. Albeit, the Lahore troops lost an indispensable commander, Akali Phula Singh whose dashing feats of warfare had surprised one and all. Hari Singh Nalua played a conspicuous role first by inflicting a crushing defeat upon the enemy and secondly by pursuing the enemy after the defeat in order to be sure about the victory of the Lahore troops. The battle of Naushera made it evident to the frontier tribesmen that the Afghan militia was weaker than those of Lahore troops. This battle sealed the further prospects of Muhammad Azim of Kabul and established the Sikh supremacy over Peshawar.

In 1827, Sayed Ahmad Bareli who claimed himself to be the messenger of Prophet Mohammad inspired the tribesmen by fervent appeals to recover their territory from the "kafir" or "Infidel" kingdom of Lahore. Yar Mohammad Khan also joined these crusaders. These forces captured the Peshawar. Maharaja Ranjit Singh sent Hari Singh Nalua to recapture the Peshawar as well as major parts around khyber pass. Sardar Hari Singh Nalua gave blow to the rising power of Syed Ahmad Bareli Griffin states that when Sayed Ahmad roused all the fanatic power of Yusafzais for a holy war against Sikhs and was joined by the Barkazi chief of Peshawar, Sardar Hari Singh Nalua with his 25,000 men prevented Syed Ahmad from crossing Indus. Then Lahore troops crossed Indus and invaded Peshawar, Syed Ahmad and his crusaders were butchered. Hari Singh gave Sayed a great setback. Peshawar was pillaged, Palaces were destroyed, tribute of Peshawar was increased and the son of Yar Mohammad Khan was carried away by Hari Singh as hostage. Then again, in 1830, Maharaja had to sent Prince Sher Singh to Peshawar to get tribute from Sayed Ahmad which was paid.

Hari Singh was put to call of duty in 1834 A.D for annexing Peshawar to the dominion of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. On 6th May 1834, Peshawar was made part of Punjab and Hari Singh Nalua was made his first non-Muslim governor. But most of Hari Singh time was spent at Lahore, his division was situated in Lahore. A year after annexation of Peshawar, Dost Mohammad, now the Afghan ruler of Kabul attempted to regain his supremacy over strip of Peshawar. Tribesmen from Yusafzai, Mohmmand and Khatak tribes of the vicinity were appealed in the name of religion to jump into holy war or jehad against Sikhs in order to oust them from their region. But due to unknown reasons these Afghan troops retreated long before confrontation.

Dost Mohammad Khan did not rest contented and after mobilizing all his resources dispatched his son Akbar in A.D. 1837 to recover Peshawar which he did. Resultantly, Sardar Hari Singh Nalua was sent at the head of Lahore troops to face Afghans. He got his forces to Peshawar. Jamrud turned out to be the field of battle this time where a formidable battle was fought. Sardar Hari Singh Nalua had earlier build a fort on the entrance of Khyber pass called fort of Jamrud, this fort was being commanded by Sardar Mahan Singh Mirpura. For want of man and war material Nalua strove extraordinary hard, inspite of this he did not loose his heart. Urgent messages were sent to Lahore and Peshawar for materials. For want of timely help the Sardar was of course, killed but the Afghans could not dislodge the 500 Punjabi troops from the fort of Jamrud. General Hari Singh Nalua give his last command to his men to not to disclose his death and continue giving enemy a good fight.

Sir Lepel Griffin, gives a detailed and comprehensive account of Sardar Nalua's campaign of Jamrud. He points out that Sardar was directed to build a fort at Jamrud situated at the entrance of Khber pass from the walls of which Maharaja might glance Jalalabad in Afghanistan. Sardar got built a small port which was quite impregnable to the artillery fire and could hold on for several weeks of pounding. The Dost Mohammad Khan, with 7,000 horse, 2000 matchlock men and 18 guns. His three sons with their forces and a force of 12,000 to 15,000 of Khaibiris joined the main force and started pounding the fort. Mahan Singh Mirpura requested help from Peshwar where Hari Singh Nalua was ailing with fever. While giving an account of the march of Sardar Hari Singh Nalua at the head of Lahore troops to give fight to the Afghans at battle of Jamrud. Hari immediately sent some horsemen to Lahore for more reinforcement and he along with his soldiers went to Jamrud. Reinforcement under Hari Singh Nalua give a new life to the garrison and attack of Afghanis was repulsed with vigor. Griffin further states that when Hari Singh Nalua along with about five of his companion went outside of the fort to inspect a breach in a wall, he was struck by two balls, one in the side and the other in stomach. In spite of them understanding that he was mortally injured, the Nalua Sardar managed to ride as far as his camp lest the troops be discouraged. Then laying on floor he gives his last order to his few trusted men, that was to not to disclose the secret of his death.

Hari Singh further imparted instructions to his soldiers to cover his dead body after lifting it from the ground and placing it on a cot. Thus the great Sardar Hari Singh Nalua, with the terror of whose name Afghan mothers used to quite their fretful children attained his martyrdom.