World Chess Champion Anand defends his title.

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Yayavar
BRF Oldie

Re: World Chess Champion Anand defends his title.

Post by Yayavar »

satya_anveshi: yep..let us see
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

KJoishy wrote:Satya, I played chess as a kid but I am not a theoritical player. My son got into chess a year ago but has moved off because of studies etc (he is 9). Any suggestions on how I can improve myself so I can get him back into it?
Improving yourself or your child is a journey. In the journey both of you will improve until you reach your peak. There will be plenty of ups and downs with thousands of plateau.

The key is to have the motivation and keep the commitment. There are two ways for a player to be involved in chess:
1) Recreational, means to improve the self (yes philosophically as well), increase different thinking abilities, keep memory from deteriorating etc.
2) Serious competitive chess.

Both require different mindset and commitment from the parents/family and the player. Do you know what kind of chess player he wants to be? Obviously, one has to start playing first level before going to the second level.

He is 9yrs old, and what studies saar :rotfl: ? If you are serious about chess, get him more exposure before he hits high school.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^All ye TFTA sekoolar IMs & GMs in the making, spare a thought for this poor abdul.... :(( :((

Pitashree taught me the rules and moves when I was a kid but in true paki abdul style I never realized that in chess, strat-e-jee is BFS not DFS. So I would happily think in DFS terms (of course I had no clue back then that it was called DFS) and get creamed by everybody and their mother. Then I realized, one needs to think in BFS terms and after that I never lost a game though had plenty of draws against more TFTA players (one uncle ji had a Elo rating somewhere between 2000 and 2100 iirc). Many moons later during pee-chaddi, sometimes my advisor and I would play in his office on a board stretching one game across many days or even 1-2 months, then if we had to travel to a conference, we would continue playing verbally during the trip (occasionally writing down the board as an interim buffer) and come back and set the board in the position we had progressed to during our trip and continue playing on the board. But after pee-chaddi never went back to playing....and unlikely ever will - physical sports is much more fun. :P

I used to love doing those chess puzzle books - still probably have my entire collection back in India.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Satya_anveshi wrote: Play with him and let him beat the "cr@p out of you" :mrgreen: - morale increase. Chess camps are a good way to start also if it is not crowed too much.
True.

While starting my sons on chess, I used to drop pieces now and then; and lose a game or two. There are different ways to keep their interest alive. For example, I would start without my Queen, or give me a 5 mins and them 15 mins on the clock. Etc etc. Once they get hooked on to the game, and it is a matter of sustaining that enthusiasm.

Having a local club with regular tournaments is a necessity. We have a chess season, during the school year where there are unrated + rated tournaments twice a month where kids come to play and have fun. Then there is a local club, that hosts the state chess association and has one 7-game tournament every month, plus assorted tournaments in different formats on weekdays and weekends. Plus there is another club that conducts FIDE tournament once in every 2 months.

Chess is such a big part of my family now for the last 3 years. In USA, the USCF rating is valuable to an extent. If a player becomes an Expert (2000+), the player who is already in the top percentile, can put that in resumes when applying for colleges and get some benefit out of it. If a player becomes a Master (2200+) the player can even get scholarships on tuition - selected universities. My older son is close to becoming an Expert.

Growing up playing carrom with my father was way difficult. He is such a good player, even now, and has a great sportsman spirit but highly competitive. He would never willingly give up games against me. That was his way of playing + teaching.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

^^Bose babu...Plis to elaborate on the BFS and DFS and how you analyzed the board and played that you never lost.

added later: G chacha hints that you are talking takniki buzzwords in the subject domain of shek saab (of mahabharat/narendra kohli wale).
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Take my claim of never losing a game with skepticism typically associated with Shanghai statistics :P ....coz I never played in any chess club (heck we didn't even have such a thing in my mohalla - this was Dilli onlee) and the number of unique folks I have played with is probably < ~50 though some of them were very very good. And I have never played against a clock.

As for analysis of board during play, basic strat-e-jee used was no different than breadth first search with pruning....no idea about openings/defence and all that stuff except remembering the chess puzzles I had solved and using those as heuristic. So it was all tactical seat of the pants play like Paki eff-solah jehadi pilot, no theory, no study of the subject so no idea how one formalizes this. One thing I do recall which was an aha moment for me (probably pretty obvious for other folks here) was basically applying BFS strat-e-jee while playing 2 roles mentally (one as me, one as the opponent who knows exactly what I am thinking) for each move.....it took lot more time and concentration for me but seemed to be effective especially in forcing draws against better opponents. Chess was fun for a while but neither fulfilling nor something which held my interest and probably not something I could become actually good at. The only reason I played advisor was becoz while playing he would not ask tough questions about my research progress. :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

carlen seems to have a team of seconds , helping him out. they are hiding some where in a beach resort in ECR, so that anand doesnt known who his seconds are. This as per ToI.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Go Anand!!!!

Here is an image of Tania Sachdev on the ramp, I promised :rotfl: The image is suitable at work (IMVHO), but dunno about the sensitivity of people and different work atmosphere, hence no inline image. She is wearing a short one piece frock, well above the knees.
http://img.india-forums.com/images/600x ... nd-lee.jpg
Last edited by SwamyG on 15 Nov 2013 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Raja Bose wrote: Shanghai statistics
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Good one man... Lahori Logic and Shanghai Statistics.

I have to steal this for my conspiracies elsewhere. :twisted:
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

SwamyG wrote:Go Ananad!!!!

Here is an image of Tania Sachdev on the ramp, I promised :rotfl: The image is suitable at work (IMVHO), but dunno about the sensitivity of people and different work atmosphere, hence no inline image. She is wearing a short one piece frock, well above the knees.
Hmm..
I've seen better pictures of her elsewhere. This one isn't too flattering.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Thats what I thought. BTW why are BRF uncle jis ogling at the poor girl? :P
KJoishy wrote:
Raja Bose wrote: Shanghai statistics
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Good one man... Lahori Logic and Shanghai Statistics.

I have to steal this for my conspiracies elsewhere. :twisted:
er....its an old BRF term...not my invention. What kinda Oldie are you?! :evil:
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

SwamyG wrote:Go Ananad!!!!

OMG and she is a chess grandmaster too? :shock: looks like I picked the wrong sport to start at 40. can I be a chess munna too...someone tell me how to get past my little leaflet of mate in two moves thing :rotfl:
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Raja Bose wrote: er....its an old BRF term...not my invention. What kinda Oldie are you?! :evil:
heh.. maybe... but I think it'd fallen by the wayside like "GUBO" which went out of fashion with Pervez bhai of Paakstaan.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

Is the match on my android app is still showing previous game.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

KJoishy wrote: Hmm..
I've seen better pictures of her elsewhere. This one isn't too flattering.
Better means more revealing or less revealing? :mrgreen:
Singha wrote: OMG and she is a chess grandmaster too? :shock: looks like I picked the wrong sport to start at 40. can I be a chess munna too...someone tell me how to get past my little leaflet of mate in two moves thing :rotfl:
I don't think she is grandmaster, correct me if I am wrong. But she seems to be a good player. Saar, just start playing and you will get better(like everything else in life). After that, get some 'books for dummies' kinda book to get more info. I feel strange giving advice since I myself am not even a munna. :oops:
Marten wrote:SwamyG: I have not seen any clubs in Bangalore as yet - perhaps there are a few hidden in Malleshwaram, or in chi chi schools, but they're unlikely to produce great players since they do not have a larger set of experienced, skilled players coming in to teach the youngsters. Most kids do use the computer for analysing the positions. You cannot replace the board for "seeing" the positions, and computer analysis will not always yield the human moves you need to learn to anticipate from opponents. Kudos to you for helping the kids learn from their books and for helping them participate in tournaments. We have fewer opportunities in this regard, and players from clubs with proper coaches will always do better.
Saar,
why not start a thread on BRF where guys can play chess and post the moves... like an online club. Hopefully, BR mods will agree, maybe Rahul M saar can use his influence to get allow such a thread because he seems to be Chess enthusiast. :D

Lets say, I play with Singha saar(I'd like to get some easy wins under the belt :P ) then we can post our respective moves on the thread and others can follow. Several such pairs can happen in a thread.

The time limit will have to be set though. That would be tricky part.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I have a wooden chess set. but its used nicely for decorative purpose inside a glass cupboard right now. dilli billi ethnic decor cue for a leafy jor bagh type bungalow.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tania_Sachdev
She was introduced to the game by her mother Anju. Her parents provided her with professional training. A Viswanathan Anand fan, Sachdev became the eighth Indian Woman Grandmaster. She won her first international title when she was just eight.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

I like 'Chess Free' from AI on Android. Very classy and testing on higher levels.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Why don't we play some form of internet chess long distance?
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

Marten Ji. I start White? Make sure when you move you put the full pgn and your last move in bold.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

KJoishy wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tania_Sachdev
She was introduced to the game by her mother Anju. Her parents provided her with professional training. A Viswanathan Anand fan, Sachdev became the eighth Indian Woman Grandmaster. She won her first international title when she was just eight.
She is a IM and Woman GM, but not a GM yet. I remember she used to be quite a sensation in her teens and was considered a chess prodigy.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

Me too. Observer only.

Moment I open I rush to castle my king. Almost always seed middle. But defend hoping the opposite number seeds left or make a major mistake. :P
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Sri wrote:Me too. Observer only.

Moment I open I rush to castle my king. Almost always seed middle. But defend hoping the opposite number seeds left or make a major mistake. :P
Sri saar,
lets start a game(me & you) and see how it goes. You want whites, fine its your move. But, what about time limit for each move?
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

martenullah, about the kramnik-topa toilet affair, plz do read the interview. it's OT here but has new info about why those things happened.

that site also has a very nice interview of gelfand and anand, the best I have read probably.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

johneeG wrote:
Sri wrote:Me too. Observer only.

Sri saar,
lets start a game(me & you) and see how it goes. You want whites, fine its your move. But, what about time limit for each move?
johneeG... Done. Let time be a non issue. That way fellow BRFites may join in and I might benefit from their advise. Also I am in Office. Akka may take me away now and then. What Say?

Pg2-g3
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^Guys, if you plan on playing a game through BRF, start a new thread (1 thread onlee) for such games in the GD forum instead of posting your moves in this thread - let this thread cater to the Anand-Carlsen match onlee. Thanks!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Rahul M wrote:Marten, please read the interview and what he says about the topalov issue. it's much deeper than going to the loo 3 times in stead of two.

he is very politically aware as well.
He has AS difficult for anyone with AS to sit at the same place for long hours leave alone play chess, if the condition flares up you need breaks for stretching or even a masaage.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Raja Bose wrote:^^^Guys, if you plan on playing a game through BRF, start a new thread (1 thread onlee) for such games in the GD forum instead of posting your moves in this thread - let this thread cater to the Anand-Carlsen match onlee. Thanks!
Thanks saar.
I started a new thread for the purpose: Chess Club. :D

Sri saar, lets continue in that thread.

-----
Negi ji,
'AS' means what?
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

oh boy anand has the middle Carlsen retreated the queen but boggs down knight
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

he has tied himself down. Black advantage on right side of board. Carlsen showed premature aggression?
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

Carlsen Castles.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

KJoishy wrote: I've seen better pictures of her elsewhere. This one isn't too flattering.
Now don't go all snoby on me :mrgreen: . I challenge you to prove that you have better pictures. Proof is in the pudding. Give me the links onlee :rotfl:

Marten: That is a good suggestion, and Chess.com gives the opportunity to play free online and live chess. I am not a champ saar, can play a chess a little bit. My brain is not cut out for chess. I have bad memory, poor grasping power and very shallow thinking abilities - seriously. I suspect some kind of ADD or forms of that.

RB: I checked her age, she is fair game. :mrgreen:

Faster moves today ? Quick draw or a some result today. Anand gets two whites in the next two games. Starting colors change in the 7th game.
Last edited by SwamyG on 15 Nov 2013 15:47, edited 2 times in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

someone plz tell me why anand didn't go for ...e5 and attack carlsen's knight ?
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

WTH why did he sacrifice his knight?

Added Later... I get it. Bishop exchanged for Knight
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

Rahul M wrote:someone plz tell me why anand didn't go for ...e5 and attack carlsen's knight ?

Would have resulted in exchanging the queens after exchanging knights? not in draw mode as yet may be.
Sri
BRFite

Post by Sri »

Anand Lets the Carlsen's knight off the hook :( I am worried he is going to lose only...
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

The consensus among commentators is that white is slightly.

Anand going to lose onlee. :((

Anand with his blue shirt and vibhuti today.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Susan asked him a simple question....how many children play in TN. He is still talking about something, and not given her the answer. He should first give her an answer nnnnnn thousands, and then expand it. That is the first thing I teach my kids. Answer a given question - straight and simple (or executive summary)...and then give long winding explanation. Sundar does not know the answer, I guess.

He got his 15 mins of fame. Good that he gave credit to Aaron.
Last edited by SwamyG on 15 Nov 2013 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Queen trade. Ramesh says that is how Carlsen likes to play....Susan says Carlsen wants to go to the end game.