T-72s in Chechnya, From Armour Magazine

member_201
BRFite

Re: T-72s in Chechnya, From Armour Magazine

Post by member_201 »

Is it true that production variants will be fitted with a locally-designed engine developing 1500 hp?
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rakesh Koshy:
But I need to update the Arjun Page. Can't I just re-upload the Arjun Page from the latest edition of Janes?<hr></blockquote><p>Rakesh
Hold off for a couple of months
Nandai
BRFite

Post by Nandai »

If the T-72 were to be up-graded with an Arjun turret, wouldnt that mean that it would increase its weight quite substantially, thus requiring a new engine. Or would the old engine be able to handle the new weight?
Rudra
BRFite

Post by Rudra »

There's no local engine in that dimension
for 1500hp. nobody has been working on it. the
efforts were abandoned more than 15 yrs ago so
MTU came in.
Paul_L
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Paul_L »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jrjrao:
Comments?
Israeli Tank Regarded With Pride (but what went wrong?)
<hr></blockquote><p>
No tank is invincible!
member_3809
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3809 »

Any reports sround to suggest which explosive was used and how was it shaped? I have read conflicting articles about the size of the mine. One said it was a 100 kg device and the other said it was a 110 lb bomb.<p>Now that the Arabs have taken out one tank they will go for the next and in the process keep on improving their mine/bomb development skills.

Post by Guest »

I don't what all this fuss about the Merkava being blown up. The LTTE blew up T72s in Sri Lanka. A sufficient number of explosives will take care of any tank
member_3916
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3916 »

Appears to be a T72 with Arjun Turret<p>Tank EX :cool:
George J

Post by George J »

Well saku you beat me to it. But i did post it on the news forum.<p>BTW can we steer the tank discussions now towards the 'EX' using the information provided by the IE article...and other article which should follow in the next few hours? For those of you too lazy to read IE.....here is the jist:<p>1) six months of secret trials...integrating features of the Russian T-72 and the indigenous main battle tank Arjun. Code named ‘Tank Ex,’ it is believed to have the advantages of low weight, small size and high speed.<p>2)may be the answer to the army’s long-standing demand for a low-silhouette tank with better fire-power. The Arjun had problems with its silhouette.<p>3)result of the DRDO’s independent initiative and not based on qualitative requirements specified by the army, it will have to prove itself to meet the army’s operational requirement.<p>4)47 tonnes as compared to Arjun’s 58.5) and high speed (60 kmph on the road) <p>5)a crew of four, Tank Ex has a 120 mm rifled main gun and a 7.62 mm co-axial machine gun. It has a director-type fire control system and also a 12.7 mm anti-aircraft machine gun. It comes with an electro-hydraulic gun control system and a digital ballistic computer. <p>6)Explaining the secrecy surrounding Tank Ex and the lack of pre-launch hype, DRDO officials claim they wanted the tests to be successful before launching the product in the market and also wanted the product to speak for itself.<p>7)Summer trials to follow this coming summer.
Susmito
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Susmito »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by saku:
Appears to be a T72 with Arjun Turret<p>Tank EX :cool: <hr></blockquote><p>Arjun ka bichda hua bhai, Karan?
member_3916
BRFite -Trainee

Post by member_3916 »

The T72 has a crew of 3, The Tank -EX has 4, I suppose then the new tank is not a T72 Chassis with a Arjun Turret, Must be of a totally new design
But on the other hand, being of the same weight class as the T72, DRDO may as well use most of the sub-systems including the Power pack of the T72
Overall I belive a completly new design
vinod_raman
BRFite -Trainee

Post by vinod_raman »

With the recent upswaing in India- US defense ties would it make sense and is it possible for India to go for M1 Abraham's? Is it suitable for the terrain and climate of India

Post by Guest »

I think this thread is too loong - Closing it - Pleaase save this on your hard disks in case this is lost<p>Subra