India Nuclear News and Discussion 23 July 2008

Pulikeshi
BRFite

Re: India Nuclear News and Discussion 23 July 2008

Post by Pulikeshi »

"No post and pre-conditions should be laid and there is a need for clean, unconditional exemptions from NSG guidelines on the import of nuclear reactors,"
Atleast in the quote above - I read clean to be a synonym of unconditional.

Also, whats the point of running around with "tail on fire" till some one leaks the draft :P

R-man??
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

NRao: I'm not arguing a case either for or against the deal with regard to this subject. I'm asking that terms be clearly defined before conclusions are made. Let me quote the Hindu article that quotes Kakodkar:
Mr. Kakodkar said India, not being a signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty, expected the U.S. to work out a clean and unconditional exemption from the NSG for India. “India has made its position very clear that it expects clean, unconditional exemption after recognising it as a unique country,” Mr. Kakodkar told a select group of journalists here. India has to reach a safeguards agreement with the IAEA and the NSG has to change its guidelines to allow international nuclear trade with India to operationalise the India-U.S. nuclear deal.
In other words, he claims that India expect a 'clean' and 'unconditional' waiver. He does NOT state what each of these are and how they are distinct.

Again:
* What is a clean waiver from an Indian perspective ?
* What is an unconditional waiver from an Indian perspective ?
* What is a clean waiver from a US perspective ?
* What is an unconditional waiver from a US perspective ?

So far the only responses have been to 'google it', a reference to a newspaper quote that does nothing to provide a clarification, and a statement that 'the point was made a year+ ago' . None of them are particularly edifying.
Pulikeshi wrote:Also, whats the point of running around with "tail on fire" till some one leaks the draft
Precisely what I asked earlier. Having the draft itself would be ideal. Barring that, at least all the terms involved need to be clearly defined. If multiple definitions are likely, those of each relevant party is worth understanding. This is not 'thought policing'; I'm not asking anyone to make any particular conclusion, but that they explain the basis of their argument as well.
BSR Murthy
BRFite

Post by BSR Murthy »

U.S.: No "Unconditional" NSG Waiver For India

(RTTNews) - The Indo-U.S. nuclear deal has run into a controversy following the Washington administration's assertion that they are only committed only to a "clean" and not "unconditional" waiver from the Nuclear Supplies Group (NSG) for New Delhi, according to media reports.

Among the conditions that have been put forward by the U.S. in previous discussions with India are provisions for periodic review, Indian compliance with future NSG guidelines, a reversion of the ban in case India conducts a nuclear test explosion, and a ban on the sale of enrichment and reprocessing equipment.

Last week, U.S. Ambassador David Mulford had great difficulty in explaining to journalists the distinction between the two concepts - "clean" and "not conditional". He said the review by Congress would be one of the "pieces" that NSG members would consider in granting their waiver, thereby making the it conditional on America completing its internal steps first.

The U.S. is believed to have secured a "political understanding" from Russia and France that they would not proceed to conclude export deals with India as soon as the NSG waiver comes through and would wait till Congress has the chance to ratify the 123 Agreement.
The latest American pronouncement runs contrary to what the Congress-led UPA government has been saying that it expects the U.S. to deliver a "clean, clear and unconditional exemption" for it from the 45-nation NSG.

The U.S. stance is expected to embarrass the Indian government and the opposition parties will leave no stone unturned to corner the government on the issue.

Media reports said that Indian officials are on tenterhook as they await the American draft changes to the NSG guidelines that are still going through the "inter-agency process" in Washington.

For comments and feedback: contact editorial@rttnews.com
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Does not seem like "clean but conditional to COTUS up/down vote" would be any surprise to India, or would it?
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

To me, its just seems like a case of GOTUS trying to make sure that Roos and France do not run away with all the contracts as soon as the NSG waiver goes through. The question was asked many a time on BRF. Why would the US do all the heavy lifting, if the moolah is going to be cornered by others.

Hopefully its only a ploy by the GOTUS to buy time to convince the COTUS that should they hyde their heads in their musharrafs then they might as well forget getting anything their way.
Raja Ram
BRFite

Post by Raja Ram »

I disagree with the characterisation that I am raising a "strawman" or encouraging "whinefest". I do not think that what I have posted are simply an opinion drawn from thin air. It is an observation and there is an issue that is developing.

"Clean" and "Unconditional" are not phrases but words. In the context of the NSG the following should be sufficient definition:

"Clean" - No explicit or implicit references to any other soverign or other multilateral arrangements (civil or non-civil) in the specific waiver to India from NSG guidelines. No future provisions that NSG might come up with will any way impact the waiver to India.

"Unconditional" - No explicit or implicit conditionalities imposed on the waiver other than what has been agreed to by India in the bilateral 123 agreement and the IAEA India specific agreement. In other words the waiver cannot be revoked under any other circumstances
by the NSG as long as India complies with its end of the bargain.

So the "clean" parts relates to the scope and terms of reference of the waiver and the "unconditional' part relates to the one time and permanent nature of the waiver.

I dont think I have to provide examples of other NSG agreements. They are not relevant to a case like India which is unique, there is no model to follow. The other reason is that in BR it is expected that people do some amount of reading themselves.

In general, there is no draft that we can discuss. Agreed. So what is the need for worry some may ask? The statement of Ambassador Mulford suggests yet another back track. Hence, if there is a new lemon selling attempt, I think there is every reason to discuss that here in this forum.

I have been with BR even before this forum was started. I do not see anything amiss in the post that I had made. I have been posting my rambles as I see fit. Take it for what it is worth. I do not intend to change my style or level of posts at all. Suffice it to say, that so far not once has there been any comment on the lack of quality in my posts.

Yet, if the powers that be (new and/or old) feel that I am not up to the standard to post in this forum, so be it. I agree that this is a private forum. I will desist from posting here.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

fanne wrote:Suraj Sir,
May I say you post smack of thought policing. I have been here from day 1 when BR was launched and barring few small period of thought policing by one other moderator (who I dont see active now), I have never seen this intolerance of an viewpoint. You might not agree with Raja Ram but can you please give him his space. I have heard lots of your view on economics which by defination is not even a science (and thus is lots of vaporware), if emperical evidence, gut feeling unsubstainable theories can form the basis of economics, I don't see what is wrong with Raja Ram post. He has been predicting and theoririzing since past many years and I am confident to say that he has not been off mark too much!!
Let me define unconditional and clean for you as I understand it (and it is good for me, please dont fail me for poor defination!! ). Unconditional is where we get a waiver that does not ask us to do this or that to begin with. Clean (which does not go as far as unconditional) is what US hinks we should be doing and that does take into account Hyde act. If these two terms is bad enough for DDM and Indian ministers to fret about, it is bad for me.

Thanks and with regards,
fanne
I second that. No intervention needed.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Raja Ram: Thanks for the additional points to clarify. I'd not have made the original response if you had posted these to start with. Do you have any prior case information about similar NSG agreements and language for other countries, China in particular ?

This thread receives greater attention because it has been a venue of much bickering. Significant contributors, both on the for and against sides, have been furloughed, voluntarily or otherwise. That's an extremely poor precedent. This thread will remain on a short leash as a result.

A conclusion made without due effort to establish proper basis constitutes a strawman. It doesn't mean your conclusion itself is falsehood, but it is a reason to provide the basis (as you have now). As long as you do precede a conclusion with a clear basis, I have no issue with what the conclusion is. For example, the Mulford quote is not a useful basis, where his own ability to distinguish the two terms is apparently questionable.

Because this thread it a magnet for trouble, I will continue to intervene to request posters to clarify their basis before making conclusions.
Raja Ram
BRFite

Post by Raja Ram »

I disagree once again to the characterization that I have presented a conclusion. It is an observation based on facts and reports. There was no need to actually go about and define to satisfy the need of every postor, even if they happen to be moderators. As long as the post in itself makes sense, not offensive and does not in any manner disruption, there is no need for subjecting a postor to a cross examination as it were.

I also disagree that what I had posted in anyway constituted a strawman.

If this is the level of scrutiny that one has to pass through to make posts, I am unwilling to do that. I shall stop posting in this forum as I do not seem to make the changes requested of me.

Fellow postors have a nice discussion.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Raja Ram wrote:I disagree once again to the characterization that I have presented a conclusion. It is an observation based on facts and reports. There was no need to actually go about and define to satisfy the need of every postor, even if they happen to be moderators. As long as the post in itself makes sense, not offensive and does not in any manner disruption, there is no need for subjecting a postor to a cross examination as it were.

I also disagree that what I had posted in anyway constituted a strawman.

If this is the level of scrutiny that one has to pass through to make posts, I am unwilling to do that. I shall stop posting in this forum as I do not seem to make the changes requested of me.

Fellow postors have a nice discussion.
Raja Ram,

Pardon me for saying this but you are doing the same thing that you are accusing Suraj of doing, that is over reacting.

Your posts add value to this discussion and I for one - and I'm sure I'm not the only one - read them avidly to gain fresh insights.

Sometimes it's useful to look at the context of things before reacting. You of all people know the kind of mudslinging and bad blood previous avatars of this thread has seen. It brought IMO one of the worst crisis faced by this forum.

Things have come back to some sort of equilibrium and I think for everbody's sake - both posters as well as readers of BRF - every effort needs to be taken to keep this equilibrium.

If that means a short lease by the moderators so be it.

I think you have reputation in BRF which is not at all tarnished by this - what you percieve - slight.

As a fellow poster on BRF and much your junior on the forum I would request you to keep on posting. Far too many valuable posters have left in a huff. Ultimately we all are poorer for that.

My humble request to you.
Raj Malhotra
BRFite

Post by Raj Malhotra »

Let me give a draft of clean exemption:-

"It is resolved that NSG Guidelines shall not affect any transaction between any member nation and India""
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

Yeah its the commies and jholawalas..but surprisingly couldn't find Arundhati Roy, Teesta Sethalwad, Praful Bidwai etc ( have they lost their pens :rotfl: ).
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

rajrang wrote:
Sanjay M wrote:US Draft on NSG Falls Short of India's Expectations

I'll laugh if Congress has to walk away from this deal!
They'll have ventured all this way for nothing.

On the other hand, Congress may be corrupt enough to totally sell out the national interest, and accept even the worst deal.
I am afraid you may be correct. It is even possible that other countries are aware of this.
Then the govt has to fall, and the 123 Deal must be thrown out like the Dhabol Power Deal was.

Bush-Cheney seem to be looking for another Enron debacle. Just as Dhabol didn't survive the ouster of the Congress govt in Maharashtra, likewise this 123 Deal won't survive the departure of the Congress govt at the Centre.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Guys can we keep our collective egotistical chaddis from getting twisted and get back to discussing a serious topic.

RajaRam - would be a shame if you quit posting... this forum is indeed private and demands a thick skin sometimes!
I'd speak for most when I say that your posts are valuable and insightful.

I think the poster who fancies that the U.S. is trying to protect her economic interests is spot on.
Perhaps POTUS is attempting to give COTUS an economic sweetner to up the deal.

What condition(s) would this sweetner constitute?
sraj
BRFite

Post by sraj »

Raja Ram: may I add my voice to the others urging you to continue posting. Your posts are higly regarded.
Pulikeshi wrote:I think the poster who fancies that the U.S. is trying to protect her economic interests is spot on.

I disagree. The US has a larger gameplan in mind, not just a few measly dollars from an industry in which they are not competitive and which they will more than make up for anyway through arms sales and other market opening moves (retail, insurance, etc.)

The intent of Hyde is to accomplish the quantitative and qualitative capping of India's nuclear weapons, while at the same time freeing up a certain amount of tech flows thereby enabling India to present a much more robust posture vis-a-vis China and balance China in Asia. An important corollary of this will be India developing a security dependency on the US, which is the best guarantee of India being a dependable ally of the US (ala Europe and Japan).

It is up to India to get what it wants and needs from this deal without necessarily signing on to the entire US gameplan and subscribing to all its objectives.

Is that possible? We will see. It is all still unfolding.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

sraj wrote:
The US has a larger gameplan in mind, not just a few measly dollars from an industry in which they are not competitive and which they will more than make up for anyway through arms sales and other market opening moves (retail, insurance, etc.)

The intent of Hyde is to accomplish the quantitative and qualitative capping of India's nuclear weapons, while at the same time freeing up a certain amount of tech flows thereby enabling India to present a much more robust posture vis-a-vis China and balance China in Asia. An important corollary of this will be India developing a security dependency on the US, which is the best guarantee of India being a dependable ally of the US (ala Europe and Japan).
It is up to India to get what it wants and needs from this deal without necessarily signing on to the entire US gameplan and subscribing to all its objectives.

Read the great game thread
sraj
BRFite

Post by sraj »

Suraj wrote:Raja Ram: Please define what 'clean' and 'unconditional' are, and why they are distinct, with examples from real NSG agreements for other nations for each case, as much as possible.

Please don't build a strawman on the base of poorly defined phrases; it will just start another long whinefest filled with more emotions than substance, and I'll be compelled to intervene.
1. There are no other examples of NSG "agreements" with other countries. The NSG was set up as the 'London Suppliers Club' in response to India's 1974 test. It did not get real teeth until Russia was bamboozled, in the aftermath of the Cold War, to join in 1992 with the explicit assurances that this was a voluntary organization of nations, there was no treaty underpinning this grouping, and all that was required of member nations was to apply their 'national laws' on export control diligently in support of the laudable objective of non-proliferation. China joined NSG in 2004. This waiver is the first of its kind by NSG, and an attempt by the US to end the nuclear related 'cold war' it initiated and led against India for 34 years. The question is: will India snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by ending the cold war on US terms or will it do so on India's terms.

2. May I add the following to Raja Ram's definitions of 'clean' and 'unconditional' below.
"Clean" - No explicit or implicit references to any other soverign or other multilateral arrangements (civil or non-civil) in the specific waiver to India from NSG guidelines. No future provisions that NSG might come up with will any way impact the waiver to India.

"Unconditional" - No explicit or implicit conditionalities imposed on the waiver other than what has been agreed to by India in the bilateral 123 agreement and the IAEA India specific agreement. In other words the waiver cannot be revoked under any other circumstances by the NSG as long as India complies with its end of the bargain.
'Unconditional': no change in the current NSG practice of each member nation following their national laws. This explicitly means that no NSG member will be bound to follow another NSG member's actions (which may be mandated by that member's domestic laws). If this is not the case, India will -- by buying any reactors/fuel from NSG countries under any subsequent arrangements -- be effectively accepting a 45-nation multilateral commitment which is worse than CTBT because it does not provide for withdrawal under the supreme national interest clause available in all international treaties. Even worse, India will become liable to future changes in Chinese, Australian, Irish, Austrian, etc. laws impacting the operation of nuclear reactors in India. This is akin to GoI providing an open invitation to everyone around the world to press India's pressure points whenever it suits them.

3. With all due respect to moderators on this forum (old and new), I strongly disagree with the terms 'strawman' and 'whinefest' used in the above context. One thing we seem to miss is that unless the NSG draft is made public before it is passed by NSG, it will be a fait accompli by the time we see it. If we don't like it then, the real whinefest can begun because there will be nothing else to do. This is the time to raise the alarm, and call out the US on its shenanigans (well recorded in the run-up to Hyde and 123). Bottomline: GoI does have alternatives to this deal, if the deal is not on terms acceptable to India.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

sraj wrote:
Suraj wrote:Raja Ram: Please define what 'clean' and 'unconditional' are, and why they are distinct, with examples from real NSG agreements for other nations for each case, as much as possible.
1. There are no other examples of NSG "agreements" with other countries. The NSG was set up as the 'London Suppliers Club' in response to India's 1974 test. It did not get real teeth until Russia was bamboozled, in the aftermath of the Cold War, to join in 1992 with the explicit assurances that this was a voluntary organization of nations, there was no treaty underpinning this grouping, and all that was required of member nations was to apply their 'national laws' on export control diligently in support of the laudable objective of non-proliferation. China joined NSG in 2004. This waiver is the first of its kind by NSG, and an attempt by the US to end the nuclear related 'cold war' it initiated and led against India for 34 years.
NSG is created to target India. That is the real purpose of this group and really does not have international law backing this group. By excluding India they wanted to pin India in a corner and make India in future to agree to terms which they wanted.
It was all fine till US had the global clout to influence members but after the Iraq war there is signs of faltering. To keep these groups going they have revived the group with the India-US 'deal' and save the group. After an Iran attack this group may disintegrate. They would never have allowed China before unless there is some serious problem.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

sraj wrote:Raja Ram: may I add my voice to the others urging you to continue posting. Your posts are higly regarded.
Pulikeshi wrote:I think the poster who fancies that the U.S. is trying to protect her economic interests is spot on.

I disagree. The US has a larger gameplan in mind, not just a few measly dollars from an industry in which they are not competitive and which they will more than make up for anyway through arms sales and other market opening moves (retail, insurance, etc.)

There is definitely a larger game plan in mind.
The trap has been set.
They almost dragged us into Iraq. The US and NATO badly want armed Indian boots on the ground in Afghanistan.
They are also very desperate to have commonality of defence equipment with us, specially the aviation and Naval assets.
The dangerous logistics agreement that the US is so keen to sign with us will come back to bite us and very soon too.
Why would a country like the US go out of its way to favor India? They have always put us down. Why now?
They already have the Indian market access and more will come as we continue to liberalize.
India has been sermonizing and pontificating since Nehru's' idiotic NAM days. This has not gone down very well internationally, specially with the US. Their govt babus do not like us. This is the permanent US establishment. Politicians will come and go like in all countries but the babus remain like barnacles, permanent and one track minded.
We like the US people sure, but they as a govt, don't give a jack for us. If they suddenly start to do so then, ergo the US has a larger game plan in mind. The role of MMS in all this is not kosher. If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck then it is a duck. Sure doesn't sound like an Indian duck to me.
Look at our own assets.
We have fairly rich uranium deposits in the northeast that will support us for decades. Yes we do! And all the anti nuke and uranium ore mining protests there have been bribed into submission. We could have moved much earlier on this project but no idea why we did not do so. MMS?
With the experience gained from the Russian plants like the two 1,000-megawatt power plants that are being put up at Kudankulam and others, we can operationalize and produce power from future plants in around four, five years. To shorten the cycle, we can always import nuke plant and machinery without the uranium and not bust too many IAEA balls in the process.
We can reach 10% nuke powered electricity supplying to the national electricity grid in about a decade or a bit more by building multiple nuke plants with our own resources.
We should take a good look at the Turkey Israel route for oil and gas. The current bonhomie for the iran pak pipeline will dry up after the IAEA vote on friday with pak opposing us and forcing a vote on the nuke deal. Discussions are already on with turkey which made the initial offer to us.
The world situation will definitely change in around ten years.
Enough wiggle room for us to do the thorium stuff on our own and maintain our weaponisation status.
We should tread carefully.
They seem very keen to do the deal even across multiple presidencies and with bipartisan support.
To me this smells a bit.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

sraj: Thanks for the additional details on the terminology. Considering that neither is the NSG draft available, nor is there prior precedent, from the following:
sraj wrote:If this is not the case, India will -- by buying any reactors/fuel from NSG countries under any subsequent arrangements -- be effectively accepting a 45-nation multilateral commitment which is worse than CTBT because it does not provide for withdrawal under the supreme national interest clause available in all international treaties. Even worse, India will become liable to future changes in Chinese, Australian, Irish, Austrian, etc. laws impacting the operation of nuclear reactors in India. This is akin to GoI providing an open invitation to everyone around the world to press India's pressure points whenever it suits them.
How does it follow that the NSG agreement being conditional imply:
* Indian actions being adjunct to national laws of others.
* Inability to withdraw in the national interest
Or are these just hypothetical worst cases ? What precedent exists at all for one country to be adjunct to another's laws ? And what bilateral or multilateral treaty exists that does not provide for withdrawal on national interest ?

As far as the terms strawman and whinefest go, you are misinterpreting my original usage - at no time did I imply that opposition to the deal itself constitutes a whinefest. All I did is state that without a clear definition of what the two terms in question were, implying malafide (or unsupportable optimism, for that matter) merely leads to more folks towards reinforcing either argument, without spending effort to underline details.

My only interest in intervention is in ensuring such a chain reaction doesn't start, because such a line of discussion invariably goes downhill. It makes no difference whether the argument is 'it is well known that the US is out to screw us' or 'it is well known that India will be the world's biggest economy in 20XX so just sign the deal and we'll have cheap power for our Xboxes'. Neither of those approaches are any good.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Thought policing is not way to control online discussion. The discussion will find its own balance. But all aspects of the arguments have to be discussed and cannot be curtailed.
mayurav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mayurav »

1) The same logic that was used for downplaying Hyde Act can be also be used to downplay a "conditional" waiver. India will be too big a economic power, and too entwined with the global system that rest of the world cannot disrupt the smooth operation of the nuke plants.

2) Another favorite argument is that we can stockpile enough U to ride out any sanctions and non-cooperation.

3) Third, we will not really import that many reactors, so it won't be a big deal if NSG decides to end supplies. Nuke power will always be a small % of total power capacity.

My feeling is that even without a "unconditional" waiver GoI will let the deal will go through.
sraj
BRFite

Post by sraj »

Suraj wrote:sraj: Thanks for the additional details on the terminology. Considering that neither is the NSG draft available, nor is there prior precedent, from the following:
sraj wrote:If this is not the case, India will -- by buying any reactors/fuel from NSG countries under any subsequent arrangements -- be effectively accepting a 45-nation multilateral commitment which is worse than CTBT because it does not provide for withdrawal under the supreme national interest clause available in all international treaties. Even worse, India will become liable to future changes in Chinese, Australian, Irish, Austrian, etc. laws impacting the operation of nuclear reactors in India. This is akin to GoI providing an open invitation to everyone around the world to press India's pressure points whenever it suits them.
How does it follow that the NSG agreement being conditional imply:
* Indian actions being adjunct to national laws of others.
* Inability to withdraw in the national interest
Or are these just hypothetical worst cases ? What precedent exists at all for one country to be adjunct to another's laws ? And what bilateral or multilateral treaty exists that does not provide for withdrawal on national interest ?
Suraj: NSG is a nuclear cartel, just as OPEc is an oil cartel. Both exist without any treaty underpinning or validation under international law.

Hypothetical Case:

1. OPEC imposes an oil embargo against Israel.

2. OPEC then lifts the embargo through a 'waiver' which mandates that any future actions wrt oil supplies to Israel by a single member nation (driven by its domestic law requirements) will need to be followed by all OPEC members.

Do you think anyone in their right mind would accept such a conditional waiver (especially if Saudi Arabia had already passed a Saudi 'Hyde' stating that King Abdullah would provide an annual report on progess in the Middle East peace process?

btw, I have no doubt on your good intentions in making the comments you made. I just believe that raising a furore about the NSG language and US backtracking "now" is very important, and does not constitute a whinefest.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://www.nuclearsuppliersgroup.org/
http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Docume ... 54r9p1.pdf
http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Docume ... 54r7p2.pdf
http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Docume ... c539r3.pdf
http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/npr/vol01/11/strula11.pdf
The Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) is a multinational body concerned with reducing nuclear proliferation by controlling the export and re-transfer of materials that may be applicable to nuclear weapon development and by improving safeguards and protection on existing materials.

It was founded in 1975 in response to the Indian nuclear test of the previous year. The test demonstrated that certain non-weapons specific nuclear technology could be readily turned to weapons development. Nations already signatories of the NPT saw the need to further limit the export of nuclear equipment, materials or technology. Another benefit was that non-NPT and non-Zangger Committee nations, then specifically France, could be brought in.

A series of meetings in London from 1975 to 1978 resulted in agreements on the guidelines for export, these were published as INFCIRC/254 (essentially the Zangger "Trigger List") by the International Atomic Energy Agency. Listed items could only be exported to non-nuclear states if certain International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards were agreed to or if exceptional circumstances relating to safety existed.

The name of the "London Club" was due to the series of meetings in London. It has also been referred to as the London Group, or the London Suppliers Group.

The NSG did not meet again until 1991. The "Trigger List" remained unchanged until 1991, although the Zangger list was regularly updated. The revelations about the Iraqi weapons program following the first Gulf War led to a tightening of the export of so-called dual-use equipment. At the first meeting since 1978, held at the Hague in March 1991, the twenty-six members agreed to the changes, which were published as the "Dual-use List" in 1992, and also to the extension of the original list to more closely match the up-to-date Zangger list. A regular series of plenary meetings was also arranged as was the regular updating of the two key lists.

Initially the NSG had seven members, Canada, the Federal Republic of Germany, France, Japan, USSR, United Kingdom, and United States. In 1976-77 membership was expanded to fifteen with the admittance of Belgium, Czechoslovakia, the German Democratic Republic, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, and Switzerland. Twelve more nations joined up to 1990. Following the collapse of the Soviet Union a number of former republics have been given observer status as a stage towards future membership. The People's Republic of China joined in 2004.

As of 2005 the NSG has 45 members: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States.

In July 2006, the United States Congress allowed US laws to be amended to accommodate civilian nuclear trade with India. (See: United States-India Peaceful Atomic Energy Cooperation Act). With the submission of India's safeguards agreement to the IAEA Board of Governors, the Nuclear Suppliers Group is expected to consider a proposal to ease restrictions on exports to India.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

I don't think Suraj said anything objectionable or is doing "thought policing". All he asked for is for defining the words "clean" and "unconditional". Without exactly understanding what they mean, discussions do go off on a tangent. Though AK and Mulford have used those words, they have not clarified what they mean by those words. As can be seen by recent posts, there are some differences among members about what they mean.
mayurav
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mayurav »

DH does not archive..

http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Jul ... updatenews

India has power shortage of 73,050 million units
New Delhi, IANS:
India, Asia's third largest economy, faced a power deficit of 73,050 million units between April 2007 and March 2008, an internal official audit says.
Even as hope of power sufficiency emanates from the India-US nuclear deal, the audit says 6,53,172 million units of power were supplied last fiscal against a demand of 7,26,222 million units.

The 73,050-million unit deficit was largely in Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, and Uttar Pradesh.

These states accounted for 80 to 90 percent of the total power demanded.

The audit by the ministry statistics and programme implementation (S&PI) said Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Goa, Himachal Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala met at least 90 percent of their power needs.

Some of the states and union territories that supplied 100 percent or marginally less electricity were Puducherry, Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Goa, Chandigarh, Dadar and Nagar Haveli, Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand, and West Bengal.

"There was a shortage of 64,368 million units in April 2007-February 2008, which rose to 73,050 million units by March-end," a ministry official, who did not wish to be identified, told IANS.

Given the fact that only around 56 percent of India's rural population or 78 million households do not have access to electricity, the mismatch between demand and supply will widen in time to come if the supply side is not improved, the official said.

"It has to be done on the priority basis as the government intends to provide access to electricity to all the households by 2009."

The government has estimated that India will require an installed capacity of over 200,000 megawatt (MW) by 2012 to meet the electricity demand, which will be 60 percent more of what the country has at present.

"By 2020, India will require 400,000 MW of electricity. Energy is going to be required in a large quantity in view of rapid economic growth. The government also aims to increase per capita consumption of electricity to 1,000 units by 2012," said the official.

At present, about 26 percent of installed power generation capacity in India is hydropower against 50 percent in the 1960s, while around 66 percent is thermal generation including gas.

The official said nuclear energy constituted only about three percent of the country's total power generation, and non-conventional energy sources, of which wind energy is predominant, accounted for about five percent.

"The share of hydropower in electricity generation will go up with the government launching a 50,000 MW hydro initiative. It aims at making optimum utilisation of available hydro potential of the country," the official said.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Nuclear deal in choppy waters?

There is cloud over the expectation that with the Government's successful squelching of the Left's opposition through the confidence vote in the Lok Sabha and completion of the negotiation on the safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the nuclear agreement with the US will have a smooth passage.

It had so far been assumed on the Indian side that the 123 Agreement and the IAEA Safeguards Agreement already sewn up, all that remained was securing the approval of the Nuclear Suppliers' Group (NSG) to the entire arrangement, enabling India to acquire the fuel, equipment and technology needed for augmenting the generation of atomic power in line with its master plan.

Indeed, some analysts in India were even jubilant that once the NSG okays the deal, it was immaterial whether or not the US Congress ratified the 123 Agreement, and India can straightaway begin dealing with suppliers other than the US in the NSG.

It now transpires that the deal's passage is not going to be that easy. To head off the possibility of India dealing with preferred members of the NSG without reference to the US, there is apparently a move either to time the IAEA Safeguards Agreement, the NSG decision and the US Congressional ratification of the123 Agreement to take place simultaneously, or even to make the US Congressional ratification of the 123 Agreement precede the other two processes so that the US is able to retain its hold on the subsequent operations under the deal. By way of double precaution, the US has reportedly secured a `political understanding' from Russia and France that they would not rush to conclude export deals with India following the NSG waiver but wait until the US Congress ratifies the 123 Agreement.

A more disturbing connotation has been put on the US perspective by the statement of the US Ambassador, Mr David C. Mulford, at a media meet on July 23, that the NSG waiver is bound to take into account not only the prescriptions in the IAEA safeguards and the 123 Agreement but also `the determinations' the President has to make under the Hyde Act.

PRESIDENTIAL DETERMINATIONS

The determinations the President has to make and apprise the Congress impinge on the activities of almost the entire Department of Atomic Energy, bringing within their purview nuclear facilities within as well as outside the safeguards scheme, that is, meant for both strategic and non-strategic purposes.

For example, the Congress has demanded to know from the President every year the quantity of uranium mined, milled, processed and utilised by India, especially for production of nuclear explosives devices, the rate of production in India of fissile material for nuclear explosive devices; the amount of electricity India's nuclear reactors produced for civil purposes and the proportion of such production that can be attributed to India's declared civil reactors; and an analysis as to whether imported uranium has affected the rate of production in India of nuclear explosive devices.

The President has also to report to the Congress how well India has cooperated with the US in its efforts "to dissuade, isolate, and, if necessary, sanction and contain Iran" to prevent it from acquiring nuclear weapons capability.

There is besides Section 106 of the Hyde Act which is categorical that all exemptions and waivers granted under the Act shall cease to be effective if India is found to have detonated a nuclear explosive device after the date of the enactment.

The deal is as good as sunk if there is any attempt on the NSG's part to make its decision contingent on India's compliance with the `determinations' of the Hyde Act.

B. S. RAGHAVAN
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

By way of double precaution, the US has reportedly secured a `political understanding' from Russia and France that they would not rush to conclude export deals with India following the NSG waiver but wait until the US Congress ratifies the 123 Agreement.
This one quote is enough to prove that our nuke vote in BR has a gross misunderstanding of the understanding of the deal itself. Many said, they understand the deal very well.

I am still thinking, that are we still knowing everything to take this as an issue based politics? The English is everything.. what we need is a Sanskrit language deal. BTW, what they mean is not what we mean is all English.

coming to political understanding, is like finesse on the CRE begin cycle. where are the CRE gurus?
vishwakarmaa
BRFite

Post by vishwakarmaa »

Majority of educated people in India take pride in their english language skills and take pride in chiding chinese on their lack of english skills.

Now, its clear that knowledge of english doesn't ensure respect in the world. Your mother tongue does.

If you respect your mother tongue, world will respect you. World sees India at lower position than China because they admire the fact that Chinese respect and preserve what they have. Indians don't. We love "foreign maal".

I think India will become power but a secondary one - always under influence from west, unable to give up "western" hangover in Indian psyche.

Chinese don't suffer from such hangover. They don't feel shy to talk with each other in a non-western language. They don't laugh at other chinese if he does that. This is one thing which I admire about China and there is no shame in accepting this. You should be generous enough to see through history and realize our weaknesses.

1947 was only "material" freedom from west. Full freedom will only come when "indian-western" elite gives up idea of US-India in the bed and come back to India and contribute in nation building.

Have you seen a chinese sitting in new york, serving the MNCs and whining about problems in China? They don't. Because they respect and love their culture. Thats why they take steps to protect it and fight for it.

Ask one desi in new york if he is ready to go back to India and join India in war against its enemies. He won't. He will blame it on politicians and will say - "look at america, it is far better than us." This is called "Gulaami".

That desi does that because he don't have anything to loose, like that chinese because he doesn't care about his culture. No possessions, no love, no obligations transpires into no loyalty towards your home.

All talks of desis proclaiming India tobe their home is hogwash. Done for self-interest. Not through love.
Last edited by vishwakarmaa on 31 Jul 2008 00:51, edited 3 times in total.
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Acharya wrote:
fanne wrote:Suraj Sir,
May I say you post smack of thought policing. I have been here from day 1 when BR was launched and barring few small period of thought policing by one other moderator (who I dont see active now), I have never seen this intolerance of an viewpoint. You might not agree with Raja Ram but can you please give him his space. I have heard lots of your view on economics which by defination is not even a science (and thus is lots of vaporware), if emperical evidence, gut feeling unsubstainable theories can form the basis of economics, I don't see what is wrong with Raja Ram post. He has been predicting and theoririzing since past many years and I am confident to say that he has not been off mark too much!!
Let me define unconditional and clean for you as I understand it (and it is good for me, please dont fail me for poor defination!! ). Unconditional is where we get a waiver that does not ask us to do this or that to begin with. Clean (which does not go as far as unconditional) is what US hinks we should be doing and that does take into account Hyde act. If these two terms is bad enough for DDM and Indian ministers to fret about, it is bad for me.

Thanks and with regards,
fanne
I second that. No intervention needed.
Acharya,

I disagree with you. Fanne sahib made a post after so long and it has to be one of the worst he ever made. There was no need to bring ‘economics is not a science’, which shows how little you understand about science, art of science and economics.

We can already see where the discussion is going- ToI report is being taken as gospel and IE report is result of “gift” dispatched from Santa.

Anyhow,

Some members are making, or may be in near future will make, a big strawman outta "simple phrase" by Kakodkar. Then once NSG waiver comes out they will be disappointed, when Kakodkar accepts them he'll called flip-flopper and govt will be called a traitor and back tracker. So it is necessary before discussion begins to clearly define the terms and that definition has to come from authentic or official source. Since Kakodkar has not defined those words everything here becomes individual member's interpretation and deductions, not the facts.

Bottom-line - We don't know what that phrase means. Kakodkar/GoI has never defined it

Now my interpretation is - "NSG waiver should be clean by not mentioning anything about testing, Hyde, FMCT, CTBT in relation to India. Unconditional means termination of waiver should not be tied to any condition except what is included in IAEA draft"

For example if NSG waiver says-

'India should work towards implementing FMCT' -----> There is no condition but it is unclean

"The NSG waiver would terminate if India conducts nuclear tests' ------> This is Unclean and conditional

Expecting that NSG waiver would say that “India hence forth is being given an unconditional NSG waiver in perpetuity” is unrealistic. The NSG waiver shouldn’t talk about limitation and conditions – that alone would make it unconditional.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

fanne wrote: I have heard lots of your view on economics which by defination is not even a science (and thus is lots of vaporware), if emperical evidence, gut feeling unsubstainable theories can form the basis of economics, I don't see what is wrong with Raja Ram post.
fanne-saar,
Whoever told you that economics is not science ? The top economists tend to be top Mathematicians (of the type who win Nobels) and have had many remarkable results.

I can understand your complaint that nobody seems to understand *Macroeconomics*. Macroeconomics, is just but one branch of economics. The triple problem of macroeconomics is

1. Complicated system: I would like to draw an analogy with medicine here. How many diseases have predictable definitive cures ? Diseases get cured (most of the time) due to doctor intervention and body's own ability to heal. A free market society is similar. Anomalies are cured by intervention and the market's own tendencies set itself right. It does not work some times because of the complex system. That is to be expected and to call economics "not a science" is tantamount to calling medicine or biological sciences "not a science".

2. Lack of control: How much control does anyone typically have over say, Indian economic system ? There is RBI intervention in the money market, GOI intervention through capital allocation. Apart from that ? It is like trying to cure a patient's stomach ailment with a stethoscope and a stick---when he says he wont follow your advice on diet ! That by itself does not preclude the possibility that you are using the stethoscope, stick and diet advice in a scientific way.

3. Political compulsions: Macroeconomic medicines are bitter to swallow. Take for example free electricity to farmers. The GOI incurs a huge loss in this. It leads to loss of revenue, which in turn means bad roads and schools in villages and rampant environmental degradation as the water table goes down rapidly. Economists know this, but who will take the initiative in declaring "no more free electricity" ?

But in places where there are none of the three above, economics have done remarkably well. Take for example the insurance sector. Insurance companies have existed for years now. Stop for a moment and think: over a lifetime, the sum of the premium you pay (typically hundreds of rupees a year) is much less than the sum your loved ones get due to natural or accidental death (typically lakhs). The probability that you will die at some point in the future is 100%. This is the same for everyone else. How do insurance companies survive then ? A bunch of trained economists (actuaries they are called), calculate risk, interest rate spread, long term interest rate, market rate of return on investment, business growth and calculate premiums accordingly. LIC for example, has a revenue of 20,000 crores with about 6,000 crore profit and their officers would be very annoyed if you suggest that it was all black magic. A competitive advantage in insurance companies is to be able to model and compute "tail bounds" accurately. Many many many papers have been published about this. Chernoff bound, Martingales, Azuma's inequalities are crude examples. The real formulas are jealously guarded secret. For example, Renaissance Technologies and James Simmons specialize in this and his hedge fund has made billions.

Lets take the rest of this discussion to the Nukkad or Economy thread.
Last edited by Anujan on 31 Jul 2008 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

We don't know what that phrase means. Kakodkar/GoI has never defined it
AK:
No post and pre-conditions should be laid
"clean, unconditional" means India should be able to do what ever she pleases. AK has been saying that even prior to J18. In fact he has said that IAEA does not know enough to police India! (J18 was NOT the start of all this tug-of-war, BTW.)

Someone mentioned that 123 is cap Indian capabilities. I think it is to get to know Indian techs, THEN cap them. Outside of what is under IAEA they do not know too much more - IMHO.

However, the grip of the US seems to be becoming more clear. Clean or unconditional the US is bent on controlling matters in the future. I suspect that other nations can wield the Hyde Act if they want - even if they do not pass a similar act - through the US. I think the France and Russian card is also lost.

And India is split.

A good indicator for all this will be when the IAEA and NSG agreements are passed.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

RaviBg wrote:I don't think Suraj said anything objectionable or is doing "thought policing".
I was referring to this part
My only interest in intervention is in ensuring such a chain reaction doesn't start, because such a line of discussion invariably goes downhill. It makes no difference whether the argument is 'it is well known that the US is out to screw us' or 'it is well known that India will be the world's biggest economy in 20XX so just sign the deal and we'll have cheap power for our Xboxes'. Neither of those approaches are any good.
Katare wrote:
Acharya,

I disagree with you.
I was only referring to the intervention regarding the discussion going in a chain reaction to downhill.
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

vishwakarmaa wrote:Majority of educated people in India take pride in their english language skills and take pride in chiding chinese on their lack of english skills.
All talks of desis proclaiming India tobe their home is hogwash. Done for self-interest. Not through love.
Hi,

Why do you think Chinese have Anglicized names and take on Western religions forsaking Eastern ones? What level of Chinese culture (other than language) has been preserved by the Chincoms?

The last time I checked English was a Indo-European language and that happened before the British got to India on boats!
IF you do not like Indian getting educated in English by all means help get India to work towards your favorite native language as the medium of education. What does this have to do with Indian immigrants anyway?

In any case way Off Topic on this thread... but I am guessing you don't have real Chinese friends in the West and/or have never gone to China to form such an opinions.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

sraj wrote:'Unconditional': no change in the current NSG practice of each member nation following their national laws. This explicitly means that no NSG member will be bound to follow another NSG member's actions (which may be mandated by that member's domestic laws). If this is not the case, India will -- by buying any reactors/fuel from NSG countries under any subsequent arrangements -- be effectively accepting a 45-nation multilateral commitment which is worse than CTBT because it does not provide for withdrawal under the supreme national interest clause available in all international treaties. Even worse, India will become liable to future changes in Chinese, Australian, Irish, Austrian, etc. laws impacting the operation of nuclear reactors in India. This is akin to GoI providing an open invitation to everyone around the world to press India's pressure points whenever it suits them.
I'm not sure I agree with all of this. It's not terrible to want an Unconditional NSG waiver which reduces dealing with NSG-members to bilateral agreemtents. This is not inferior to CTBT, since CTBT is itself an international net, rather than mere bilateral restriction. Unconditional is better than UN-conditional.

3. With all due respect to moderators on this forum (old and new), I strongly disagree with the terms 'strawman' and 'whinefest' used in the above context. One thing we seem to miss is that unless the NSG draft is made public before it is passed by NSG, it will be a fait accompli by the time we see it. If we don't like it then, the real whinefest can begun because there will be nothing else to do. This is the time to raise the alarm, and call out the US on its shenanigans (well recorded in the run-up to Hyde and 123). Bottomline: GoI does have alternatives to this deal, if the deal is not on terms acceptable to India.
One would think that the Bush admin, if it were acting in good faith, would have been more willing to maintain an upfront position on this, to allay Indian fears. I don't like the fact that we're having to wriggle in under the wire and go through all kinds of contortions to pass through this. This is like Agni Pariksha -- if you have that many doubts about me, then screw you and your royal line.

Look at how we're having to endure Pak twisting the knife in us right now, with both the terror bombing wave and also the eruption of border attacks. You know they're doing this to try and provoke us in the run-up to the NSG deal finalization. They're doing everything they can to sabotage this.

AND ARE THE AMERICANS GIVING US ANY RELIEF FROM THAT?? NOPE!
They're just sitting there with confused looks on their faces, not even lifting a finger to admonish Pakistan over its sabotage.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

It's not as smooth as 1,2,3...

Even if India's nuclear safeguards proposal is approved by the IAEA, it does not mean a smooth ride for the nuclear deal. Many NSG countries may insist that India must formally enter the non-proliferation regime and give up its nuclear weapons programme. Rekha Chakravarthi & Gretchen Smith on the long road ahead

The political impasse in India has finally ended and, for now, it appears that the India-US nuclear deal may make it through one hoop of what has now become a three-ring circus. Indian Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon has already provided the IAEA Board of Governors with an overview of the draft Agreement, well in advance the IAEA vote, and according to reports, without opposition. The US Under-Secretary of State for Political Affairs, William Burns, has also stood in front of the IAEA, to bolster support. And, most importantly, India has received the blessing of IAEA Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei, who has been a strong advocate of the deal. With this in mind, India's prospects look good.

What can India expect at the IAEA? Although the 35-member Board is expected to approve the draft Agreement without any major changes, thereby enabling India to approach the NSG, India is still likely to face some challenges in the IAEA. One of which, is the request of the Board provide clarifications or changes in the draft Agreement, such as spelling out what corrective measures India would take in the event of fuel disruption. The unspecified measures, found in the preamble of the draft, have emerged as a major concern in India and the non-proliferation community, who argue that such measures provide India with a flexibility to unilaterally remove reactors from international safeguards. India, however, may decline to spell out its "unspecified sovereign rights" and be forced to provide a new draft.

Are there any spoilers? How can they be addressed? There is also the possibility that India will be confronted with spoilers such as Pakistan, which is reportedly working to block a consensus on the draft Agreement. Pakistan is said to have questioned the Agency's hurry to obtain approval for the draft and demands that India provides the list of facilities to be brought under safeguards prior to the Board meeting. The United States is trying to dissuade Pakistan from making these demands. For India, this development is concerning, as the IAEA normally operates using a consensus and an opposition, of any size, could spell trouble. Although the IAEA can choose to use a voting method instead, it is rarely used, especially in relation to safeguard agreements. Such a development would be problematic for India, as any difficulties it has at the IAEA will follow it to the NSG, as 26 of the 35 Board of Governors also belong to the NSG.

What will be the next step, if India receives an IAEA stamp of approval? It is important to recognise the weight that rests on India's shoulders as it enters the NSG. After all, this is the arena in which India could gain atomic freedom or watch its' hopes could go up in smoke. Although many focus on the ultimate aim of the agreement, endorsement by the American Congress; it is important to recognise that India does not need to reach this step to gain energy independence.

If the NSG chooses to re-write its rules, India will be able to enter into a cooperative agreement with any NSG member state. But, as with the IAEA, there are many scenarios that India could face. The following five scenarios could be predicted.

Scenario 1: NSG sets difficult conditions and/or reasonable conditions India walks out. India faces stiff opposition from a number of countries who insist that India sign the NPT and/or the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) to obtain a waiver. Bringing India under the NPT would be a non-proliferation coup; however, for India still believes that the NPT is unjust and flawed, and neither the NPT nor the CTBT align with India's security concerns. In the event that NSG sets 'difficult' conditions, India walks out of the NSG negotiations.

It is also possible that the NSG exempts India from signing the NPT and/or CTBT, but insists that it sign the Fissile Material Cut-off Treaty (FMCT). The FMCT aims to ban the production of fissile material for nuclear weapons or the NSG insists India make its unilateral moratorium on nuclear testing permanent. These are reasonable conditions from the point of view of the NSG; however, from an Indian vantage, any attempt to limit its nuclear capability is seen as compromising India's security concerns. In this scenario, as with the one above, India leaves the NSG negotiations.

Scenario 2: India insists on a clean exemption; NSG accepts or rejects. India presses for a clear and unconditional exemption without any reference to nuclear testing. Despite not being a signatory to the NPT, India has adhered to its provisions and hopes that the NSG recognises this. Moreover, the US has also promised to prod the NSG to give India a clean exemption. Assuming that the US lobbies hard for a clean exemption, the NSG provides India with a full waiver. But, countries with stringent domestic laws that would prevent them from cooperating with India in the event of a nuclear test may reject an unconditional waiver.

Scenario 3: China states that it supports India but wishes to enter into a similar agreement with Pakistan. Pakistan's "good friend" China creates difficulties for India. China insists on a criteria-based exemption that would apply to countries who had not signed the NPT. The rationale behind such a move would be to ensure that China can enter into a similar agreement with Pakistan. Although it appears that the People's Republic has changed its mind, given its stated interest in Sino-Indian nuclear cooperation, China has not categorically stated that it will back India at the NSG. The NSG is unlikely to approve a Sino-Pakistani accord, given Pakistan's proliferation plagued record, and India finds it hard to clear this hurdle.

Scenario 4: India experiences opposition from governments on the lines of non-proliferation and legal concerns. States such as Japan, Australia, the Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, Belgium Poland and Finland express concern over how this deal would affect the non-proliferation regime. These States argue that the regime is showing signs of decay and this would signal to the rest of world, most notably Iran and North Korea, that there are no serious consequences for possessing nuclear weapons outside the NPT. They also argue it would show that the sentences given to States that defy international laws are temporary and can easily be repealed. Given the power of these states, it possible, although not certain, that they could block India's approval at the NSG.

On the other hand, countries such as Ireland, Sweden and New Zealand, may express concern on a legal basis. Although these countries protest, they do not serve as a stumbling block as international treaties have often been rewritten. Further, the US applies diplomatic and economic pressure to achieve its objective. In this scenario, India overcomes its opposition and moves to the next stage in the three-part act.

Scenario 5: India receives a full waiver by all NSG nations and is able to operationalise its exploratory agreements with Russia and France. India is also ready for approval by US Congress. In this scenario, India receives the full support of all NSG nations without any difficulties. While waiting to receive the final sign-off from the American Congress, India is able to operationalise the exploratory agreements it has already signed with France and Russia. Further, India is able to enter into civilian nuclear agreements with other NSG states and achieves its coveted energy independence.

It is important to recognise that there is one more step that lies beyond the NSG wavier. And, there is a question of when India will cross the finish line. As the Hyde Act requires the bill to remain on the floor for a minimum of 30 continuous legislative days, and there are less than 25 legislative days left before the US Congress adjourns on 26 September, it is possible that this will take place after the Bush administration leaves office. Technically it is possible for India to complete this step under Mr Bush, but it will require Speaker of the House, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, to call a lame duck legislative session. Congresswoman Pelosi has repeatedly stated that she has no intent to do so, but given the momentum of the deal, anything is possible.

-- Writers are researchers at the Institute of Peace and Conflict Studies