LCA news and discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Re: LCA news and discussion

Post by Gaur »

marimuthu wrote:In the bottom view, the LDP has to be moved front and right, the 1200 lt DT moved to the center. The two 800 lt DT have to be a little bigger and moved to the front
Hi! Could you please edit the image using paint and mark the spot where the centre of ldp and 1200dp should lie and mail it to me? Also could you please mark the rough length and diameter of 800 dt? I hope I am not asking for much but it will be very helpful.
As for moving the dt forward, are you sure because if you look at the following image, you will find that the 800dt should be exactly where it is because of the location of the hardpoint.
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... ttom-1.jpg
marimuthu
BRFite

Post by marimuthu »

Gaur,Time to sleep. Will reply tomorrow
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Gaur wrote: Hi! Could you please edit the image using paint and mark the spot where the centre of ldp and 1200dp should lie and mail it to me? Also could you please mark the rough length and diameter of 800 dt? I hope I am not asking for much but it will be very helpful.
As for moving the dt forward, are you sure because if you look at the following image, you will find that the 800dt should be exactly where it is because of the location of the hardpoint.
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... ttom-1.jpg
I think you should first model the airframe and then model all the weapons/pods separately. Even the pylons should be done only after you have got your fuselage, wings etc right.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
I do not understand what you mean. I have completed the modelling of airframe as shown in my previous posts. Only the final touches remain to be applied.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Gaur wrote:^^
I do not understand what you mean. I have completed the modelling of airframe as shown in my previous posts. Only the final touches remain to be applied.
Oops! Just noticed it.

IMHO The cockpit doesn't 100%. But it could seem like that because of the black background. The mesh is clean which is commendable. The drop-tank seems to be under-sized and shape doesn't seem right. Anyway good work but the next part will the most challenging (UV mapping and texturing)
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

^^
KrishG,
Are you a 3d artist yourself? If so, then what software and renderer do you use? I ask this because I have a very basic query regarding shadows which I am not able to clear using internet. I use 3ds max and mental ray renderer. If you have knowledge regarding the lights, then please mail me at p^j^t^g^a^u^r at gmail
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Gaur wrote:^^
KrishG,
Are you a 3d artist yourself? If so, then what software and renderer do you use? I ask this because I have a very basic query regarding shadows which I am not able to clear using internet. I use 3ds max and mental ray renderer. If you have knowledge regarding the lights, then please mail me at p^j^t^g^a^u^r at gmail
I use Cinema-4D and V-ray.
biswas
BRFite

Post by biswas »

I did some modelling myself.

Used everything from C4D to Max to Maya, tinkered with ZBrush for sculpting all the way to Blender. Never mastered any of them though.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

biswas
My query is embarrassingly basic. I just want to know how to increase the shadow quality of mr Area Omni light. If you have any idea regarding this then mail me and I will provide you with the rendered images with the problem and also the parameters which I used.

KrishG,
You will most probably not be able to help me because you use not only a different modelling software but also a different renderer. But if you have idea regarding my query then please mail me.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Upon suggestions, I have done some changes in the loadout placement and dt's shape and size. Are the positions and shape correct now?
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... ttom-2.jpg
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... ective.jpg
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... t=side.jpg
http://s698.photobucket.com/albums/vv34 ... nt=top.jpg

Added later:
The major worries I have is regarding shape and position of load.
Eg: Is the thickness of python-5 correct or is it too thin?
Is the drop tank placement correct( especially the middle one)?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Ideally these posts about modelling should go in the dedicated thread for that. If there is a valuable discussion about modelling going on here - it will be lost when the LCA thread goes and no one will remember where the info was.

The modelling thread

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=3&t=4926
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

LCA completes 1375 test flights

PV2-9
PV3-1
PV5-3
LSP2-4
LSP3-4

Since May 11
ajit
BRFite -Trainee

Post by ajit »

http://tarmak007.blogspot.com/2010/06/t ... ssful.html

"Tejas LSP-4 completes its successful maiden flight at HAL airport in Bangalore on June 2. The flight lasted for 40 minutes. Wg Cdr Suneet Krishna piloted the aircraft. "
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Tejas LSP-4 maiden 40-minute flight successful; Grp Capt Suneet Krishna goes supersonic at first attempt
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Any other source for this news, seems to good to be true. First flight going Supersonic and LSP-4 so soon after LSP-3. ANyone in Bangalore spotted this Bird.

Is it time to start the Lungi Dance?
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

Wow this is good news indeed...also like the way they did this quietly...the time gaps hopefully shrinking fast now as learning curve is getting flatter...
Bharadwaj
BRFite

Post by Bharadwaj »

Lots of activity today morning...looks like the bird has indeed flown
K_Rohit
BRFite

Post by K_Rohit »

^^^^
This makes it 10 birds flying, right?

TD-1, 2
PV-1,2,3,5
LSP-1,2,3,4
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

The TDs are dismantled already IIRC, so they aren't 'flying'

Great Job!! HAL and ADA
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

AllahoAkbar. Great news indeed.

Great photos - looks like fighter.
Anantz
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anantz »

ANyone in Bangalore spotted this Bird.
I did, I did! :mrgreen: Saw it take of... followed by another bird. This was preceded by a flight of another LCA. Shortly after the first one, two LCAs flew with the LSP-4 in the lead, took of and vanished away. Also caught a Jaguar doing a round, probably an hour before the LCA flight!
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

For posterity's sake, the title of the tarmak007 article is one to remember...
tarmak007 wrote:IOC WITHIN SIGHT! Final IAF configuration LCA LSP-4 maiden 40-minute flight successful; Grp Capt Suneet Krishna goes supersonic at first attempt; MMR, new avionics software, ECS, RWR all onboard; hot-weather trials next; one step forward, says IAF Vice-Chief Air Marshal Barbora
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Quiz for Jingos

Is this before take off or after landing? State reason.:mrgreen:
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

After.

That cap got blown after the salute.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

Great work! The post also mentions that LSP-5s flight is near!
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

However, what is crucial is:
"This is fully equipped with IOC standards," says a thrilled ADA boss P.S.
THIS is IT.
Suppiah
BRF Oldie

Post by Suppiah »

I guess before take off because no parachute shown?
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

K_Rohit wrote:^^^^
This makes it 10 birds flying, right?

TD-1, 2
PV-1,2,3,5
LSP-1,2,3,4
Wrong 8 , TD are not flying any more , they have been dismantled
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

why hot-weather trials again ,they have done it long time ago , or is it because of MMR radar ?
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

Brings tears to my eyes. We shall overcome!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Suppiah wrote:I guess before take off because no parachute shown?
it's after landing. the drogue chute has an orange cap covering which is blown out during landing.
prominently seen here above the engine nozzle.
after landing it hangs out attached to the chute
Image http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... e.jpg.html
karan_mc wrote:why hot-weather trials again ,they have done it long time ago , or is it because of MMR radar ?
that and other gizmos.
steve
BRFite -Trainee

LCA RADAR

Post by steve »

ABOUT LCA RADAR

http://www.defenceaviation.com/2010/04/ ... radar.html

India’s most ambitious military program to build an indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) reached a major milestone on 23rd April; Friday when it first test flew a radar onboard. The LSP-3 model of the aircraft carried a radar inside its nose for the first time. This comes more than 9 years after it first took to skies. The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) described the radar as Multi-mode radar.

Defence Aviation has learnt that the radar was a Hybrid version of Israel’s Elta EL/M-2032 which is currently in service with Indian Navy on its Sea Harrier fleet. The radar is mechanically steered and most components are of Indian origin. The processor of the radar is of Israeli origin similar to that found on the EL/M-2032. There was some confusion regarding the type of radar but it has now been confirmed that it is Doppler pulse radar.

The achievement is significant as this bring the LCA-Tejas closer to receiving the Initial Operation Clearance (IOC). All the necessary tests to receive the IOC are done and now only tests related to the radar remain. It’s expected that these will be completed in 6 months and after that the LCA will enter service with the Indian Air Force (IAF) which has ordered 40 units of LCA’s in IOC configuration. The first aircraft is expected to enter service during the second quarter of 2011.

Meanwhile the LSP-4 is undergoing ground trails and will start flying in a month (Which it has on JUNE 2nd) followed by LSP-5 which should start flying a week later :mrgreen: . The recent test flight also had a new air data processor, Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) and a communication and navigation system. The flight lasted for some 52 minutes of which the LSP-3 cruised at Mach 0.8 for some 40 minutes.

THE MOST INTRESTING PART FOR ME:- :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Hybrid MMR won’t be seen on the future versions of the aircraft apart from the first 40 as the Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) is working on a much advance Active Electronically Scanner Array radar (AESA) which be much superior to the Hybrid MMR. The new AESA radar is necessary for the Tejas to receive the Final operations clearance (FOC).
karan_mc
BRFite

Re: LCA RADAR

Post by karan_mc »

Second Tejas (LSP-4 ) takes off with MMR Radar and CMDS
but the most important equipment on board is locally developed indigenous counter-measure dispensation system (CMDS) which has been developed by State-owned defence firm Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).

CMDS is designed to protect an aircraft from missile attacks, which it does through its sensors that are linked to a chaff and flare dispensing system. Once the CMDS picks up an enemy missile locked on to the aircraft, it fires chaffs and flares aimed at misguiding it, for the missile mistakes the cloud of chaffs and flares to be the aircraft and turns towards it. This deception provides the pilot an opportunity to take evasive action.
this is more important system then MMR which has been completely been over shadowed

http://idrw.org/?p=1883#more-1883
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

that and other gizmos.
LSP-4 Planned Flight in Mid-2009 for CMDS Trails
Source http://www.lca-tejas.org/variants.html

so hot weather Trials are is for MMR, CMDS, RWR, ECS
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

The new AESA radar is necessary for the Tejas to receive the Final operations clearance (FOC).[/b][/i]
What ???
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

First flight of Tejas aircraft LSP-4 takes off
same news, joining the bandwagon!
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

PS sir kept his word. Congrats to the team
We are nearing the goal. All standard operating procedures for IOC are being achieved. We are now left with flight testing and demonstration of sensors and weapon performance. I owe this to my team and all partners of the project. We are confident of flying the LSP-4 in a month and LSP-5 couple of weeks after that,” Subramanyam said
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

karan_mc wrote:
Second Tejas (LSP-4 ) takes off with MMR Radar and CMDS
but the most important equipment on board is locally developed indigenous counter-measure dispensation system (CMDS) which has been developed by State-owned defence firm Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).

CMDS is designed to protect an aircraft from missile attacks, which it does through its sensors that are linked to a chaff and flare dispensing system. Once the CMDS picks up an enemy missile locked on to the aircraft, it fires chaffs and flares aimed at misguiding it, for the missile mistakes the cloud of chaffs and flares to be the aircraft and turns towards it. This deception provides the pilot an opportunity to take evasive action.
this is more important system then MMR which has been completely been over shadowed

http://idrw.org/?p=1883#more-1883
Why? Because it is from idrw (the cut-paste web site)?

Just BTW to the "idrw team":

2007 :: Military aircraft to be equipped to deflect missiles
Propelling India to an exclusive club of nations with Counter-Measure Dispensation System (CMDS) capability for military aircraft, the Hyderabad-based State-owned defence firm Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) has completed the development phase of its indigenous CMDS. It will supply the system for the defence industry this year.

The CMDS, designed to protect an aircraft from missile attacks, will now be integrated with all fighter and military aircraft manufactured in the country, including the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA).

It will also be part of the upgrades of aircraft of the Indian Air Force and Navy and future generation airplanes, BDL chairman and managing director, Maj. Gen. (Retd.) Raajnish Gossain told The Hindu at the "Aero-India 2007" aerospace exposition here.

The system was tried and evaluated on the Jaguar fighter aircraft in August 2006. "With the development phase completed, we will start supply of the system by the end of this year," Maj. Gen. Gossain said. The project was launched three years ago.
The radar is FAR more important. Engine being the next data point.
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

As predicted 2010 is the Year of DRDO/HAL......Go India Go......Next waiting for PAD tests....Also waiting for the specs on MMR radar, i dont think they will release it. Damn jingo is never satisfied...