The Jan Lokpal Bill, Anna Hazare, and Baba Ramdev II

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
vasu raya
BRFite

Re: The Jan Lokpal Bill, Anna Hazare, and Baba Ramdev II

Post by vasu raya »

Each RTI activist and retired/want-to-retire honest IAS/IPS/Mil officers (their knowledge base on govt. machinery and details of each deal are of immense vaue) should focus on one issue at a time like Hazare says, who should give political and/or social prominence via the media to each serious activist which should put the corrupt on the back foot

IAC responding to each and every controversy in the country would dilute its credibility, Arnab's last question is a trap, let them focus on corruption and corruption alone
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Sub.Swamy in a telly show said that the tactics of the IAC are wrong,merely exposing corruption and jumping from one issue to another,inviting similar tactics from the UPA.He says that only following it up in court will bring about results and from the track record of of the SC in the 2-G,CWG ,scams,this is the most sensible way to get the guilty into jail.
AK-'12 must also train his sights on the larger issue of what he and his party plan to do for the country in real terms if they want to be taken seriously as a political party.Being mere loudmouth agitators like Vaiko and other fringe players will not bring them votes.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 007254.cms
MUMBAI: In a stinging attack on the government, former Army chief General VK Singh, who has joined Anna Hazare in his crusade against corruption, on Monday termed it "anti-people" and demanded immediate dissolution of parliament.

Gen (retd) Singh said the government is "bending to the corporates".

In a direct attack on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, VK Singh asked him why the government was "looting" people. Singh retired a few months ago.

Gen Singh was speaking to media persons alongside Hazare, who is expected soon to launch an anti-graft team after severing ties with Arvind Kejriwal and India Against Corruption (IAC) over their decision to form a political party
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Looks like INC brought back *e* for office Singhvi as their spokesperson.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/forei ... topstories
Criticising Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for inviting foreign companies to the country to prop up the economy, social activist Anna Hazare today reminded him of Mahatma Gandhi's idea of first improving the rural economy.

"Prime minister says we cannot improve the economy without inviting foreign companies, which is absolutely wrong," Anna said at the ThinkFest conclave in Panaji.

He said that it was not fair to invite foreign companies to the country and hand over to them our land and minerals.

"Mahatma Gandhi had said that if we want to improve the economy of the country, we need to work on improving the economy of the villages," the Gandhian added.

He said that he had himself proved that working in villages could help boost the economy.

"I have worked in several villages without any foreign funding. In the villages where people were living with empty stomachs, we have brought about a change and now they are exporting vegetables," Anna added.

"Not just corruption, but we have to tackle the issues like human rights and environment," the social activist added.

On the allegations that he was associated with BJP and the RSS, Anna said, "This is not new. The tree which bear the fruit attracts the maximum stones."

"I will walk on my path of truth. Let anyone criticise me," he commented.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 093983.cms
Anna Hazare will launch a travel-movement across India from January 30, 2013, to create mass awareness among the people that will force the government to pass the Jan Lokpal bill by 2014.

Announcing this at an ideas conclave at Bambolim on Sunday, Hazare said he will not just stop with the Jan Lokpal Bill but also work to bring to reality the right to recall, the right to reject and other such reforms.

Hazare said that besides the thousands of youth who are with him, he also has the support of 100 army officers including former Army chief V K Singh and IAS and IPS officers. Hazare said they will use information technology to galvanize people across India.

The movement will build an organizational network at the block, district and state level and a movement of such proportions will force the government to pass the Jan Lokpal Bill, Hazare said.

He endorsed his former associate Arvind Kejriwal's decision to launch a political movement. "Our paths are two but our destination is one-that of a corruption-free India. His path is political, mine is that of agitation. I have told him that if he selects people with character to fight elections, then we will support them to get them elected," Hazare said, adding that Kerjiwal still phones him regularly to check on his health.

Asked why he is not joining politics, Hazare said politics has degenerated into "money from power and power from money". Hazare asserted that good people need to get into politics to clean it up and that is why he is supporting Kejriwal's move to enter politics.

Hazare reiterated his criticism to allowing foreign companies in India. He said Mahatma Gandhi always advocated strengthening rural economies to strengthen the nation and that is why instead of bringing in foreign companies, the government should look at the villages. He cited the success of his own village in Maharashtra where some years back, people were starving due to lack of water but today the area is exporting vegetables.

Asked why he was angry with Union minister Kapil Sibal, Hazare said he was not angry with the minister, but he dislikes it when people tell lies.

Hazare recounted the entire dialogue with the government representatives during his %agitation for the Jan Lokpal Bill and said Sibal had gone back on his word. Hazare will address a %public meeting at Hotel Manoshanti, Panaji, at 10.30am on Monday.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Look who is line of fire!

Amar Singh next?

One may disagree with Arvind Kejriwal's tactics but he is taking the fight right into the core/heartland.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Ramanaji,

Arvind Kejriwal appears to be from the far left/foreign supported section: witness his support to the protests against Kudankulam. Also note that he has Prashant Bhushan of "Kashmir not an integral part of India" fame.

What would happen to our core national interests (enhancing economic/military power including the nuclear deterrent) in the event of the Kejriwal party gaining political traction ? Given this, I hope that Kejriwal and co never become politically powerful. Opposition to the current setup must come from sections of the traditional political class tha wish to see a more assertive nation.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

IIT Kharagpur is not the leftie bastion.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Still Ramanaji,

His support for the anti-nuclear agitation makes him appear like an agent of the west. What do you think ?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Dont know. Recall that Kudankalam is a Russian designed plant. How can protesting against that be anti-West?

I really dont know about him But I see his bringing down quite a few unsavory people all over.
ramdas
BRFite

Post by ramdas »

Ramanaji,

I never said Kejriwal is anti-west. He appears to be a stooge of the "human rights" lobby from the west. We all know how this lobby is trying to subvert the discourse in India as well.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Oh. My mistake.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

ramana wrote:Look who is line of fire!

Amar Singh next?

One may disagree with Arvind Kejriwal's tactics but he is taking the fight right into the core/heartland.
Ramana-ji; I humbly disagree, everyone and his uncle knows what Amar Singh is up to -- what is Arvind Kejriwal doing by going to town with examples (assuming he has examples) showing that Amar Singh was involved in corruption? Very recently, Maulana Mulayam significiant diluted the corruption charges again Amar Singh, and publlically.

AK is merely distracting people -- and I say this very carefully -- also -- he has created a scenario (thanks to media) that insinuation and innuendo are perfectly acceptable as substitutes to serious ground work and charges.

Any one can play this game, for example now Jena from congress (a minister) is trying this again BJD is orissa. (and the Gadakari case is obvious)

The Modus operandi is -- make a large claim -- enough to cause people to wonder -- feed the uncertainity through FUD, misstatements and such like -- dent the image -- and carry on to next target.

This approach is delegitimizing the fight against corruption -- Congress has been provided a gaming platform they are most comfortable with.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Interesting, so when IAC saw that is status of Congress support from outside as psuedo NAC was in danger because Anna had changed the dynamics -- they sabotaged the movement from inside.

Very telling.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/-i-di ... /1027258/0
Anna, we don’t want you to fast anymore. It is important that you remain healthy for the sake of this country. It is good that you have suspended this strategy of fasting. But why did you do so?

The reason I stopped is because the last time I fasted, my health deteriorated and it took me four or five months to recover. And I believe that my life is not mine any more, it now belongs to this country. And the five months I lost weren’t mine but the people’s and this country’s. If my repeated fasting results in the loss of so much time, then I believe that it is not the right thing to do.

You think it wasn’t right to go on a fast so soon? [Anna broke his 13-day fast at Delhi’s Ramlila Maidan at the end of August 2011. He went on fast in Mumbai again that December]

No, it wasn’t. I even told them that it was too soon to go on a fast and start an agitation, but they had made all preparations, so I was forced to go. My health worsened after that.

Who is ‘they’? Who forced you?

By ‘they’, I mean the Mumbai activists of India Against Corruption. They had organised everything.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

So the 14 companies did not even invest in Purti group. It's high time Justice Arnab gets sued by NG
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

RoyG
BRF Oldie

Post by RoyG »

^^Reinforces our dharmic traditions which considers gold as wealth. Dollar trade is decreasing at 1% a year and the US government is trying to cheapen the dollar. Good call by our corrupt.
pentaiah
BRFite

Post by pentaiah »

Amir Singh is clean he even advised Jaya Pradah to clean shave her leg
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Pranab Mookherjee kitne bhrashta hain sab jante hai. In logon (Ambanis) hee unka career banya hai"---Swamy

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/video/blac ... 28438.html
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/world ... ?ref=world
“We hope that the people of this country will be able to do something in 2014,” Mr. Kejriwal said.

That Mr. Kejriwal is now one of India’s most powerful figures represents a strikingly swift turnaround. Only months ago, conventional wisdom held that he was finished politically. He had been the mastermind of the huge anticorruption movement that last year shook the country — but had then seemed to miscalculate.

First, the movement fizzled. Then, earlier this year, his alliance shattered with Anna Hazare, the hunger striker and symbol of the movement: Mr. Hazare unexpectedly balked over plans to form a political party.

Politicos snickered that Mr. Kejriwal’s party, without Mr. Hazare, would be dead before it was born. Mr. Kejriwal, the backstage manager, would now be the public face, which raised a question: Would ordinary Indians rally behind a party whose public draw was a wiry, intense former tax examiner? That remains to be seen, but no one is snickering at Mr. Kejriwal any longer.

Instead, he is feared. He has accused Robert Vadra, the son-in-law of Sonia Gandhi, the country’s most powerful politician, of reaping millions in improper real estate deals. He has delved into the business dealings of Nitin Gadkari, leader of the main opposition party. He has alleged improprieties in a charity for the handicapped run by the family of Salman Khurshid, the country’s new foreign minister — prompting a barely veiled threat from Mr. Khurshid.

In some instances, he is merely resurrecting and amplifying existing accusations. Yet, through it all, Mr. Kejriwal has steadily pushed his simple, if radical, message: India’s democracy, the largest in the world, does not merely need reform. India needs a revolution.

IT is Sunday night, three days after Mr. Kejriwal’s news conference on Oct. 25. His target that day was Reliance Industries Ltd., India’s most powerful corporation, which he accused of exerting political influence to bilk billions of dollars on natural gas contracts. (On Friday, Mr. Kejriwal held another news conference, this time accusing Mukesh Ambani, the owner of Reliance, and others of illegally stashing money overseas.)

Reliance has denied the charges — as have all of his targets — but Mr. Kejriwal seemed pleased. The establishment has been rattled.

Now Mr. Kejriwal sat inside a cramped conference room of his headquarters, in a small house at the edge of the capital, beside a dingy slum. He was engaged in a ritual of Indian politics: the public audience. One man had traveled hundreds of miles to pledge his support. Another unexpectedly started singing a tribute song. A father and mother presented their 10-year-old son as a future foot soldier in Mr. Kejriwal’s efforts.

“After seeing you,” the boy’s mother said, “I have the courage that now we can raise our voices.”

Mr. Kejriwal grew up in the city of Hisar, in the northern state of Haryana, the son of an engineer. Like many ambitious Indians, his parents wanted him to become a doctor or an engineer, and the young Mr. Kejriwal studied obsessively to gain entrance to India’s most prestigious engineering school. After graduation, he worked for three years as a mechanical engineer before testing into India’s elite civil service as a tax examiner.

It would change his life. He met his wife, another tax examiner, but also found himself confronted with rampant bribe-taking. “There was corruption at every stage,” Mr. Kejriwal recalled.
“Today,” Mr. Kejriwal said, “these parties are very good at fighting elections on the basis of money and muscle power. We cannot win on that turf.”

The question, of course, is whether Mr. Kejriwal’s party can win anything at all. He and his team are expected to announce formal plans for the party — as well as the party’s name — at some point this month. Mr. Kejriwal has certainly tapped into public anger over official corruption, especially among India’s urban middle class, yet there is no certainty that anger will translate into votes against established parties with entrenched vote bank machines.

Mr. Kejriwal also has competition on other fronts: Mr. Hazare and a handful of others are reconstituting their anticorruption movement, even contemplating opening an office down the street from Mr. Kejriwal, according to Indian news media. But Mr. Kejriwal is careful to praise Mr. Hazare, saying he remains an ally, while emphasizing that the decision to enter electoral politics was a difficult one.

“We are getting into the system to change the system,” he said.

Mr. Kejriwal said his initial focus would be to field candidates in next year’s state elections in Delhi, the city-state that includes the national capital, New Delhi. This might be his best chance, since much of the middle class uprising over the Lokpal occurred in the capital. Meanwhile, Mr. Kejriwal seems likely to keep attacking the political elite.

“This little tiny ant has gotten inside the trunk of an elephant,” said Yogendra Yadav, a prominent political scientist who is serving as an adviser to the new party, “and the elephant is hopping mad.”
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Something we know

http://www.rediff.com/news/slide-show/s ... 121122.htm
After the Gadkari issue do you feel the BJP has lost the momentum it had fighting corruption?

The momentum of the BJP and the Opposition parties has been completely undermined by the Anna movement. Anna and Arvind Kejriwal, whether consciously or unconsciously, have damaged the battle against corruption. In the name of massifying the battle against corruption, they have actually diluted the issue of corruption.

The fight against corruption is always against the ruling party. It is always the Opposition which has to fight the ruling party. Corruption as a moral issue is different from corruption as a political issue. By mixing the two they (Anna and Kejriwal) have destroyed corruption as a political issue.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/arvin ... eststories
Arvind Kejriwal's party that was launched nearly two months ago amid much hype finally has a name. Aam Aadmi Party, which means the party for the common man who Mr Kejriwal claims to represent, will fight elections, said the activist-turned-politician.

"Our party will challenge existing parties...Our vision is to bring Swaraj (self-rule) in this country," said Mr Kejriwal at a press conference where he formally declared the name of the party and shared details of its constitution as also plans for the future.
The national council will next elect a 30-member national executive which will be the party's highest decision-making body.

Significantly, the party will not have a President, Vice President or General Secretary, but will only have a national convenor who will be elected by the national executive. The reason, Mr Kejriwal said, is the aam aadmi again, who forms the core of his party. "Will ensure there is no family rule in my party," said the rookie politician, in a veiled dig at the Congress. The idea, it was decided at the meeting today, was to do away with a "high command style of functioning" and "hierarchical structures".

In stark contrast to the low-profile and quite proceedings today, a big launch, for the Aam Aadmi Party has been scheduled for Monday at the Jantar Mantar, the venue of several protests led by Mr Kejriwal's and that of his mentor Anna Hazare's India Against Corruption's (IAC). Mr Kejriwal's today said that all those who turn up at Jantar Mantar on Monday would be treated as founding members of the party.

The date of the party's launch - November 26 - is symbolic. The Constitution of India was adopted on this day in 1949. Mr Kejriwal's party will also draw heavily from the Constitution.

"Wednesday night, we were writing the objectives of the new party and I said it will be great if we can base it on the preamble of the Indian Constitution. If we can live up to the Constitution there is nothing like that. We have a ready preamble there," Yogendra Yadav, a member of the core team of Mr Kejriwal's party, had said.

As far as the party symbol is concerned, many suggestions are being considered. Among them, a book, that would signify the Constitution. Some have even suggested that mango should be the party's symbol as it symbolises the aam aadmi.

Congress' Manish Tiwari, meanwhile, reacting to the name, said "Aam admi has been our slogan, no one can take that from us."
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

member_22872
BRFite

Post by member_22872 »

In what way publicizing the account numbers is of any use? Ambanis must have cleared those accounts by now. Even if we know they are their account numbers and that it is ascertained they belong to them, I think it means nothing, the money is gone anyway.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Arvind bats for sugarcane farmers

http://news.oneindia.in/2012/11/14/mini ... 98669.html

while Shanti Bhushan ji is lawyer for sugar mill owners
http://www.business-standard.com/india/ ... it/229145/
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Sushupti wrote:Image
both the bronemies stood in queue in front of swiss bank to get running account numbers. bada beta got the first one later the chota beta. Mummyji must be proud of her betas.papaji smiling in heaven.
AK will get details of this also. it has been vetted and certified by sources.
:mrgreen:
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

venug wrote:In what way publicizing the account numbers is of any use? Ambanis must have cleared those accounts by now. Even if we know they are their account numbers and that it is ascertained they belong to them, I think it means nothing, the money is gone anyway.
Ambanis have assets right now in India. Once the records of accounts transactions (if available) will give for any wrong doing, and if any wrong doing is found, their present assets in India can be attached. To avoid that, they will have sell every share of land, companies they own in India and move out of India. That is the only way they can protect their assets.

So in case the govt really wants it done, it can get it done and be a major pain in a$$ if it wants to.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

Kejirwal's account number is 5090160985, I heard it from Coleman's Butt who heard it from Sanjiv Butt, who heard it from Ghulam Rasool Butt, who heard it from the Chaddiwala's as they were talking which a/c number the money has been deposited by the bhai's to be withdrawn by a joint signature of BJP and Congress Gen Sec for carrying out the Genocide which killed 1000000000000000000000000 purer than the purest Indians in the state sponsored Genocide as they were ripping apart his stomach to take out the pregnant fetus that he had been carrying for 3.141 weeks already.
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

^ :lol:

Sanku ji that was great. Aptly clarifies whatever his happening these days.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

as the saying goes, the reputation of the conjurer is sinking below zero.

http://www.online-literature.com/stephe ... lapses/20/
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Look Kejriwal is all about the Delhi assembly elections, it has never gone out of Family control. In most parts of Delhi, thanks to education system, people belive that pubs, bars and love marriages will stop if BJP comes to power along with compulsory going to Temple. Hence, they if the find INC corrupt they will try an alternative like communists. This could reduce BJP vote share by 5% and hence lead to INC victory in INC assembly elections.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

ravi_g wrote:^ :lol:

Sanku ji that was great. Aptly clarifies whatever his happening these days.
Thanks Ravi_g-Ji.

Meanwhile

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 512838.cms

I will not vote for ‘greedy’ Kejriwal, Anna Hazare says

It is right." "I thought I will (vote for AAP) but now I find it difficult because it is being seen that it is moving towards the path of 'money through power and power through money',

This is right. Earlier, I used to think that Arvind is into selfless service. But I don't understand how this thought of entering politics came into his mind.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Icing on the cake is that FICCI is headed by HSBC chief
Here is proof that Congress is lying about the 700 Indian accounts in HSBC

http://www.moneylife.in/article/here-is ... 29603.html
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q= ... 3-m&cmpt=q

aam aadmi chief interest has waned with time.
No more corruption issue. no more news. No more paid news time also.

wait till delhi elections come. trends will pick up.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/india- ... /263635?hp

Today, the Cabinet cleared the Lokpal Bill, but with some major changes. It will now be brought to Parliament in this session. The changes are, however, different from what had been recommended by the Standing Committee of the Rajya Sabha where the bill is pending. The big changes that have been recommended by the Cabinet are: those accused of corruption will be given a chance to respond to charges before a decision is taken to clear sanction of prosecution. Also, the Lokpal can't transfer CBI officials investigating cases.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 289824.cms
Social activist Anna Hazare on Friday announced that he would return to agitate at Ramlila Maidan if required, expressing his lack of confidence in the government in bringing a strong Lokpal. His statement comes a day after the Union Cabinet cleared the Lokpal Bill.

In sharp contrast to his colleague Kiran Bedi, Anna slammed the Bill saying it did not include provision for setting up of Lokayukatas in states, did not include the CBI or CVC and also excluded lower rung bureaucracy. Bedi has been supportive of the Bill, saying that at least there was some anti-corruption mechanism in place. Anna, on the other hand, rejected the new draft as a betrayal by the government.

"This government has gone back on its assurances over the last two years. They have betrayed us. I will tour the country for the next two years to raise awareness against this government and if need be I will agitate at Ramlila Maidan again," Anna said.

Reacting to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi's speech that power was poison, Anna questioned,"If power is poison, then why do people run after it...power is also an addiction."

He also added that he had received a letter from Congress chief Sonia Gandhi assuring him that Lokpal Bill would be passed in Parliament soon. "This government is incapable of making good laws...we need clean candidates who will make laws against corruption," he added.

The activist was accompanied by former army chief V K Singh.
Sushupti
BRF Oldie

Post by Sushupti »

Rs 34-cr I-T notice to yoga guru Ramdev trusts

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed ... 09789.aspx