India-US relations: News and Discussions III

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
GShankar
BRFite

Re: India-US relations: News and Discussions III

Post by GShankar »

Primus wrote:IMHO the best strategy is to empower orgs like HAF. Have our own people in powerful positions.

Juice do not pack or carry and yet have huge clout. Yes, there may be hate crimes against them symbolically (vandalism of places of eternal rest or worship) but you rarely hear of physical assault where the perpetrators can be identified. This is because of the power they wield in the media, banking, judiciary and politics. Why be a policeman if you can be the Mayor?

I may be wrong, but the average Redneck hates Juice more than brown desis. And yet he is reluctant to hit them.

My partner donates 10% of his earnings to Juice foundations and causes. How much do we do?
Just a thought, juice living in ghettos (aka concentrated residential areas) may also contribute to them not being mugged/harassed/killed frequently than others. Whereas SDRE are very spread out more or less and comparatively more spread out in rural areas.

Philanthropy may be another option through which the juice have bought peace with money. But check this out. There is this hospital called Hackensack University Medical Center. Everyone who goes, including the baby mama would buy lunch from what was provided in the package. But the juice have a separate kitchen and dining are just for the community that is replenished on daily basis and all of the juice patients and family can get free food on a daily basis. So, the large amounts of juice donations have given them this benefit. This is just one example and I won't be surprised if such facilities are available for them nationwide.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Interview with CNN, Fake News in chief.. Is Trump moderating his position?
Also, he says the mexicans can come back with visas after he deports them. Reality hitting slowly. But he would do well to bring manufacturing jobs to the US though.

Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

GShankar wrote:
Primus wrote:IMHO the best strategy is to empower orgs like HAF. Have our own people in powerful positions.

Juice do not pack or carry and yet have huge clout. Yes, there may be hate crimes against them symbolically (vandalism of places of eternal rest or worship) but you rarely hear of physical assault where the perpetrators can be identified. This is because of the power they wield in the media, banking, judiciary and politics. Why be a policeman if you can be the Mayor?

I may be wrong, but the average Redneck hates Juice more than brown desis. And yet he is reluctant to hit them.

My partner donates 10% of his earnings to Juice foundations and causes. How much do we do?
Just a thought, juice living in ghettos (aka concentrated residential areas) may also contribute to them not being mugged/harassed/killed frequently than others. Whereas SDRE are very spread out more or less and comparatively more spread out in rural areas.

Philanthropy may be another option through which the juice have bought peace with money. But check this out. There is this hospital called Hackensack University Medical Center. Everyone who goes, including the baby mama would buy lunch from what was provided in the package. But the juice have a separate kitchen and dining are just for the community that is replenished on daily basis and all of the juice patients and family can get free food on a daily basis. So, the large amounts of juice donations have given them this benefit. This is just one example and I won't be surprised if such facilities are available for them nationwide.
Other than 'ghettos' for the Orthodox ('observant') sects like the Hasidim most Juice are spread out evenly - here one of the important reasons (apart from others) is that they need to walk to the Shul every Sabbath and cannot use any machinery like cars, hence the need to live close by. In suburbia and most other mixed residential locations the only way you know who is who is by the decorations at Christmas time - either nativity scenes or the Star of David hangs from the front porch. In fact a Juice friend told me that's how they are able to identify the other Juice in the neighborhood.

I won't go into how hospital and nursing home meals are now mostly Kosher. They do donate heavily to politicians and other powers that promote their own cause. They also preferentially elect and facilitate jobs and promotions for their own people. This takes an almost unprecedented form sometimes and the extent of this nepotism needs to be seen to be believed. Every Sabbath the Rabbi exhorts the flock to help someone who has fallen upon hard times and it then becomes incumbent upon the faithful to find a job or help the concerned family in any way they can. They will hire the person even at exorbitant rates and will often overlook a financial loss to themselves in the process.

We do not have anything remotely like this. The closest I can come to is the 'langar' in gurudwaras.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

Lalmohan wrote:
NRao wrote:NOT a indo-US topic, but very interesting.

TRUMP, PUTIN, AND THE NEW COLD WAR
fake news ;-)
The article says, "Remarkably, the Obama Administration learned of the hacking operation only in early summer—nine months after the F.B.I. first contacted the D.N.C. about the intrusion—and then was reluctant to act too strongly, for fear of being seen as partisan."

This is ridiculous. Obama was actively campaigning for Hillary and lampooning Trump, for crying out loud. If anything, he didn't make the alleged hacking an international issue because he was so clearly partisan in the domestic election.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

It is said that Patels may do much the same.
OmkarC
BRFite

Post by OmkarC »

Was expecting this line of thought, but Juice have the incidental benefit of being "white" - and hence, more likely to carry. Also, juice do pack guns, if not those in NY/CA, but those in sub-urban PA and TX. How else would orgs like these be formed:
http://jpfo.org
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Having free food in gurudwaras is known. Many temples are also doing it these days, especially the vaishnavaite ones including iskcon that i know of in North East. Haven't seen any of swaminarayan types offering free food yet.

But the juice are on the next level. They are projecting the soft (or money) power in other areas due to a co-ordinated internal funding and external spending. An interesting model to project power cutting across US and several nations in the west.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Agnimitra wrote: he was so clearly partisan in the domestic election.
were you actually expecting him to be anti his own party's candidate?
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

GShankar wrote:Having free food in gurudwaras is known. Many temples are also doing it these days, especially the vaishnavaite ones including iskcon that i know of in North East. Haven't seen any of swaminarayan types offering free food yet.

But the juice are on the next level. They are projecting the soft (or money) power in other areas due to a co-ordinated internal funding and external spending. An interesting model to project power cutting across US and several nations in the west.
maybe but they also have strict food habits, more extreme than SDRE tam bram IT vity curd rice eaters...
Primus
BRFite

Post by Primus »

Yes, the biggest advantage Juice have over Dharmics is that unless they wear traditional garb or yarmulkes they can easily pass for WASPS in any place, I know some who are blonde, even redheads. There is no 'typical' phenotype any more. So in a public place you can't tell. In workplace they often have WASP names and unless you know them very well or ask outright, you cannot tell. However, they almost always support their own people and cause. The majority of whites don't know and don't care, it does not seem to affect their lives directly.

ISKCON temples are very few and have a different philosophy, while they do have free lunches for all and sundry, they have little or no soft power and are seen as an amusing and curious group of people.They are left alone by most Rednecks because by and large they are white too.

Soft power actually translates into real power though it takes time. Dharmics need to start NOW.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

GShankar wrote:Having free food in gurudwaras is known. Many temples are also doing it these days, especially the vaishnavaite ones including iskcon that i know of in North East. Haven't seen any of swaminarayan types offering free food yet.
BAPS near me offers a free lunch to all visitors at Diwali time (the only time I have ever been there). Don't know about the rest of the year.
Agnimitra
BRF Oldie

Post by Agnimitra »

Lalmohan wrote:
Agnimitra wrote: he was so clearly partisan in the domestic election.
were you actually expecting him to be anti his own party's candidate?
No, my point was that the farticle is spinning its own fictional FUD like an international spy thriller.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Rudradev wrote:
BAPS near me offers a free lunch to all visitors at Diwali time (the only time I have ever been there). Don't know about the rest of the year.
I have been to BAPS and similar gujju places quite a few times but not on Diwali though. Never had the free lunch. But, let's say free food is available few days a year. For now.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Lalmohan wrote:

maybe but they also have strict food habits, more extreme than SDRE tam bram IT vity curd rice eaters...
Sure, Kosher, Halal and similar food mafia business practices are still followed. But so do other restaurants that pay the imams and rabbis to certify them respectively as halal and kosher.

The point is not just about food. It is the ability to have a specific section for juice and the food is free inside the building called women's hospital. This is just an example and of course it helps when a few hospital buildings are named after some bigtime donor juice family.
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Singha wrote:the property threat thing rings a bell.
Singhaji,
Property is totally a different issue. It is not the same as carrying. You are sleeping, with your wife and children. A big bad one breaks in to your house. You are afraid of your life and that of your family, you pick up your shotgun and shoot. There is absolutely no trouble in this case. You have to articulate that you felt that your life was in danger. Make sure the perpetrator is dead, or you may be liable for medical treatment! For home defense shot guns are the best and can be kept safely in the house.
To come back to the mall scenario, do not brandish, he may have a bigger gun. If you feel that your life is in danger, you have to shoot. Then shoot to kill. But remember there will repercussions that you have to face. We had to take the use of force policies years ago, and the instructor told us, if you shoot and kill or maim, your life will change, and it will not change for the better. But you have to do what you need to do. But the members of BR are not law enforcement, so, my advice is to stay out of it. You have a lot more to loose than the other side.
Gautam
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

If you are in your house with children and your shotgun is not unloaded or not under lock and key, statistically, you are asking for a child gunshot casualty.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

don't more deaths happen to family than 'home invaders'? ok, so Indians in US have low probability of being hard-drinking domestic violence type, but we are also not really 'safety conscious' either.

I had a neighbor white kid shoot finding a gun in house and shooting himself fatally..it was quite sad. Another time, we had some frantic manhunt from local cops to find an enraged hubby who took off with gun and spooked the wife into calling 911. The cops were out combing the neighborhood with hands on their hips and some drawn out of holster..I was more scared of those cops!!!
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

G. Sarkar is correct. I've looked into some Benelli semi-automatic shotguns, but my SHQ has said no.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

As a child, my buddy and I spent a whole hour examining his dad's (an estate owner) double-barrel shotgun extracted from it's (not-so-secret) hiding place in his bedroom closet, loading, unloading, examining the cartridges and contemplating whether there was a better way to explode them than shooting the gun, peering along the barrels, feeling the trigger and probably sighting on each other. Not saying that was a bright idea, but that it happened. We then decided that our precious time was better spent in devising a net to catch the fish in his daddy's fountain pool. Not sure how many died, but I am pretty sure there was an Inquiry into what happened to certain fish, the cat was probably blamed. Apparently under torture my buddy did not confess to anything stupid like the shotgun caper, so my musharraf did not get red.

Lock and key is not very practical if you need to grab the shotgun in the middle of the night - a distinct possibility in the Estate Bungalow where said estate-owner lived. Threat of a sound spanking obviously did not faze his son.
UlanBatori
BRF Oldie

Post by UlanBatori »

ok, so Indians in US have low probability of being hard-drinking domestic violence type, but we are also not really 'safety conscious' either.
Not so good on item 1 either, from what I have heard. Drink may not be the problem, but violence is not that uncommon. Check into the organization called Raksha for details
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

Agnimitra wrote: No, my point was that the farticle is spinning its own fictional FUD like an international spy thriller.
thats your opinion of course, i thought it was a very informative article and nicely connects the dots between the different stories that have been out there for the past few months
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i enjoy guns for sport, and am a competent shot but really i find it somewhat sad that we are now debating the merits of gun ownership and stand your ground defence on this thread.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

^^^Americans have to protect themselves against the unjust Brits.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Meanwhile, Islam-apologist Scumbag Reza Aslan is premiering a new show on CNN: "Believers".

As the host, Aslan plays the "cosmopolitan" explorer going to "remote" corners of the world and, in nice bite-size episodes, summarizing all that the White-Liberal-West needs to know about the quaint religious observances practiced by natives of those places.

The choice of Aslan as host provides an important clue as to the contours of image-making that Western "Liberal" intelligensia applies to itself. A white Christian host would not have sufficed... it would have made the colonialist condescension of CNN's editorial tone too obvious, and the "othering" of the alien religious practices being scrutinized too apparent. A fluently English-speaking, solidly Abrahamic, just barely brown-skinned Maw-slum is just right, however. He provides the ideal vehicle for CNN, and its Western Liberal audience, to cloak their derision of lesser cultures and lower civilizations beneath a veneer of all-embracing cosmopolitanism.
KLNMurthy
BRF Oldie

Post by KLNMurthy »

Rudradev wrote:Meanwhile, Islam-apologist Scumbag Reza Aslan is premiering a new show on CNN: "Believers".

As the host, Aslan plays the "cosmopolitan" explorer going to "remote" corners of the world and, in nice bite-size episodes, summarizing all that the White-Liberal-West needs to know about the quaint religious observances practiced by natives of those places.

The choice of Aslan as host provides an important clue as to the contours of image-making that Western "Liberal" intelligensia applies to itself. A white Christian host would not have sufficed... it would have made the colonialist condescension of CNN's editorial tone too obvious, and the "othering" of the alien religious practices being scrutinized too apparent. A fluently English-speaking, solidly Abrahamic, just barely brown-skinned Maw-slum is just right, however. He provides the ideal vehicle for CNN, and its Western Liberal audience, to cloak their derision of lesser cultures and lower civilizations beneath a veneer of all-embracing cosmopolitanism.
Here is a salon mag review of Aslan's show; Yindoos feature prominently in the show, apparently, with a predictable viewpoint:

Failed conversion: “Believer with Reza Aslan” wants to touch faith, but embraces sensationalism instead

From the review:
“Believer” opens in India with a crash course summary of Hinduism and its caste system unofficially observed to this day. Aslan admits to having a fascination with the religion’s beauty and its belief in reincarnation, but balks at its treatment of people on the lowest rung of the caste system who are known as untouchables.

He explains that one’s karma is affected by the amount of spiritual pollution one sustains in life. Since many untouchables are charged with handling waste and the disposal of bodies, this dooms them to an inescapable cycle of rebirth into a miserable existence.

This leads Aslan to the Aghori, an ascetic sect whose members believe that no external pollution can wall off a person from the divine; therefore no person is truly an untouchable. A mainstream branch of the sect follows the teachings of the late Aghori leader Baba Bhagwan Ramji and works toward the banishment of discrimination while embracing the neglected and the stigmatized. Aslan visits a network of such Aghori organizations in Varanasi that are dedicated to caring for orphans and treating people with leprosy.

That is not where he “converts.”

Another type of Aghori devotee demonstrates the fallacy of pollution by rubbing his skin with human cremains and eating and drinking out of skulls — an unscripted TV producer’s dream. Most Indians shun these kinds of Aghori, but Aslan decides to visit a few of them first. A priest who subsists on honey and uses human skulls as bowls sets the bar for the episode, telling Aslan that he’s heard from other practitioners, “after burning, human flesh is so tasty. Oh, so sweet and so tasty.”

This is the man Aslan consults for tips on joining the faith. For starters, the priest tells him, he has to bathe in the most sacred river for Hindus, the Ganges, and drink of its waters.

Cut to shots of men soaping up their buttocks and tight close-ups of bags of garbage and animal carcasses floating by. “There is no way I’m getting in this water. This is one of the most polluted bodies of water in the world,” Aslan declares, adding after a long rant, “It’s basically just a giant toilet. I am not getting in this water, and I’m definitely not drinking it.”

He says this about 19 minutes into a 42-minute episode. Guess what eventually happens.

Few series get their entire mission right in their first episode, but “Believer” fails to deliver on its central premise by leading with such sensationalism over questing for purer understanding. Nowhere is this clearer than another scene, in which Aslan approaches three men sitting on a Ganges riverbank and informs the self-identified guru of the bunch that he’d like to become a follower. Remember: He has to convert.

What follows is sheer uncomfortable comedy, right up until the point that the editors blur out parts of the shot as Aslan’s new “baba” reaches down between his legs. Aslan and his guide dash away in disgust.

There is no way that Aslan and his team didn’t entertain the possibility that one those shaggy randoms might do something bizarre and dangerous. Of course they did. So how, exactly, does that serves Aslan’s declared purpose of demonstrating the unifying vision of belief?
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

https://twitter.com/SushmaSwaraj/status ... 6022439936

India salutes the heroism of Ian Grillot ! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Lalmohan wrote:

Oh yeah, they do. Not just food habits, the rituals for observant jews are also strict.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

H1b premium processing suspended from April 3.

Possibly to buy time to mess with new batch of applications due this April.
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

But lottery h1-bs (new batch) don't have premium processing anyways. And while it is going on, other h1-b amendments would suffer the long wait along with certain uncertainty.
ManSingh
BRFite

Post by ManSingh »

GShankar wrote:But lottery h1-bs (new batch) don't have premium processing anyways. And while it is going on, other h1-b amendments would suffer the long wait along with certain uncertainty.
Lottery H1B's can be upgraded to premium. No one does it because anyways you are allowed to work from October only for that year. There is no point in getting your H1B adjudicated in 15 days from the monday of the 2nd week of april.

H1B amendments will suffer specifically the desi ( 1 person-2 person managed ) contracting agencies within the US. The long wait for H1B amendment might get shorter as this is the stated purpose for putting on hold premium processing.

Here is the news anyway:
https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis ... -petitions
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

I did not know one can do PP on the lottery h1-b petitions. Good to know.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

This could affect those who are doing change of status via lottery h1 cap, no?
GShankar
BRFite

Post by GShankar »

Anyone who goes under lottery, can only start working on H1-b from October. If one were to change status from f1-opt/cpt to h1-b, from what i know, they can continue to work in original status till october and then port to h1-b from october. Due to this, there should not be any affect on those.

In short, whoever gets new h1-b under the cap (change of status from within US or fresh h1-b from outside of US) can only start working in h1-b from October. So, for this reason PP is not really useful imo especially becaue DHS-USCIS will complete processing all the 65k approved h1-b petitions before October (more like May-June).
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

A_Gupta wrote:If you are in your house with children and your shotgun is not unloaded or not under lock and key, statistically, you are asking for a child gunshot casualty.
Always use a gun safe, they are cheap, $200-$300 or there about.
Gautam
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Mort Walker wrote:G. Sarkar is correct. I've looked into some Benelli semi-automatic shotguns, but my SHQ has said no.
Pump action 12 gauge is good to have at home. SHQ need to be worked on! Persistence will always work.
Gautam
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

Man down. Not a store robbery gone wrong for sure.

http://m.ndtv.com/indians-abroad/indian ... topstories
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

The "Demon-crats" determined to bring down Trump "any-which-way" in this Kremlin-Gate gambit.Unfortunately the Trump-eters have not responded in similar manner .They should ask for details about all US offiicals belonging to the State Dept.,FBI,CIA,who've had meetings with Russian diplomats,spooks,etc.! Such meetings are regularly held and often not made public. These meetings DURING the O"Bomber admin. will prove that even his jokers also had conversations,etc. with the Russians,and what was their content?

The current campaign is reminiscent of the McCarthy era,where the "Reds-under-the-beds" campaign was taken to the extreme,Ronnie Reagan sneaking on his co-artistes,etc. My old man was in the US during that time studying at a famous univ. He recounted how after a large univ. seminar ended and the hall emptied,a couple of "G-men" started removing the hidden recording devices they'd planted before the meeting.When my old man protested saying that this was unfair,they said,"look *&*()^%,we know you're not a Commie ( my old man had written some strong pieces/interviews in the media saying that India would never go Commie,etc.),but you can't tell with these guys!"

The one critical factor that sank Pres. Nixon was the "tapes" that he secretly made at the White House. Had these tapes been destroyed or never made,it would've been impossible to pin him down on "what he knew about the break-in and when he knew it". In Trump's case,we may see in the future secret recordings made by the FBI/CIA/NSA of alleged meetings between Russian and Trump campaigners. That would also show that the O'Bomber admin played dirty by using US intel agencies to spy on the then pres's opposing presidential candidate! That would also be breaking the law. However,the entire reason for Trump's victory,that the underpriviliged US voters came out and voted for him for the loss of their jobs,etc.,etc.
has been lost in the debate. The O'Bomber/Clinton/establishment clique are trying everything to sink Trump. One must ask why? What is there that Trump may find out about Hillary's and O'Bomber's time in office that they're so desperate to hide?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... te-kislyak
Is Russia connection destined to be Trump administration's Watergate?
As more details emerge of meetings with Ambassador Sergey Kislyak and TV hosts have a field day, the scandal seems unlikely to disappear soon
Trump arrives aboard Air Force One in Orlando, Florida Friday.

David Smith in Washington
Friday 3 March 2017
Donald Trump flew out of Washington on Friday but was unable to leave a gathering storm of allegations, intrigue and unanswered questions about his ties to Russia behind him.

The US president’s joint address to Congress this week was well received but was rapidly overshadowed by revelations that his attorney general, Jeff Sessions, had twice spoken with the Russian ambassador during last year’s presidential election.

As it has emerged that other members of the Trump campaign – including his son-in-law Jared Kushner – also met with the ambassador, Sergey Kislyak, the Kremlin connection seems destined to be the putative scandal that will not go away for the White House.

Krispy Kreme-lin: Trump and Schumer trade tweets over Putin doughnut photo

The relentless drip-drip of evidence has prompted comparisons with the Watergate affair that felled President Richard Nixon. It has also become regular sport for comedians on late-night TV.

In Florida, the president was due to visit a school and meet Republican leaders on Friday but Democrats kept up the pressure in Washington. They argued that Sessions’ meetings with the ambassador contradicted his own sworn statements to Congress during his confirmation hearing. Sessions claimed on Thursday that he met the ambassador in his capacity as a senator, not as a campaign surrogate.

On Friday, the White House tried to steer criticism of Trump associates and their meetings with Russian officials away, by drawing parallels with Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer, who was photographed meeting with the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, in 2003.

In a characteristic diversionary tactic, Trump tweeted an old photo of Schumer and Putin smiling and snacking together with the message: “We should start an immediate investigation into @SenSchumer and his ties to Russia and Putin. A total hypocrite!”

Schumer swiftly replied: “Happily talk re: my contact w Mr. Putin & his associates, took place in ’03 in full view of press & public under oath. Would you &your team?

Speaking to reporters, the White House deputy press secretary Sarah Sanders echoed the president: “I mean Chuck Schumer sitting and having drinks with Putin and that’s not a news story, but apparently a volunteer for a campaign bumping into one at a conference where there’s, again, dozens of other ambassadors is newsworthy.”

Nancy Pelosi, the House minority leader, said the attorney general’s decision to recuse himself from an investigation into Russian-backed hackers’ interference in last year’s presidential election did not go far enough.

“Everybody knew that there was something completely out of order that was going on, so for him to say, well, I was just meeting with him in the normal course of a senator meeting with an ambassador, the Russian ambassador, everybody knew was hacking our system is beyond naive,” she told an event organised by Politico in Washington. “It’s almost pathetic. It’s almost pathetic.

“So he did not tell the truth, and now it has come out that he did not tell the truth, and now what you see is there are other people in the Trump administration who have met with the Russian ambassador, in view of some one of the biggest intelligence officers of the Russian government, in Washington DC.”
Some US media reports have suggested that Kislyak acts as a spy recruiter, a charge that Moscow has ridiculed as paranoia.

Analysis Who is Sergey Kislyak, the Russian ambassador rattling Trump's presidency?
Putin’s man in Washington is usually far from view. Now he’s at the center of a storm that brought down a key Trump ally and threatens another

Pelosi added: “So this recusal is an admission that something went on but it’s not sufficient. There are two things. One is the recusal as a surrogate of then candidate Trump’s campaign and having communication with the Russian government knowing they were hacking our system. That’s what the recusal is about, however narrow it is.

“The other part of it is the possibility of perjury, which is punishable by law for anybody else. Certainly we should have that be standard for the highest-ranking law enforcement person in our country.”

Sessions, who was the first senator to endorse Trump for president, told his confirmation hearing in January that he “did not have communications with the Russians” and did not know of any by other campaign staff.

Democrats have variously called on him to recuse himself from all potential investigations, retestify before Congress, resign or be charged with perjury, while demanding an independent commission to investigate. Richard Blumenthal, senator for Connecticut, urged the embattled attorney general to return to the Senate judiciary committee to “testify under oath” about the conversation at his office with Kislyak.

“I’d like him to explain what was said during that September 8 meeting,” Blumenthal told MSNBC’s Morning Joe program. “And what came of it, and also what other meetings there may have been, because if he misled us as to that meeting, what other meetings might he also have failed to disclose?”

What we know about Jeff Sessions and the Russia revelations
The congressman Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House intelligence committee, has called for Sessions to quit, saying he “clearly misled” the Senate about contacts with Russian officials, and demanded that a special prosecutor be appointed.

Schiff also accused the FBI director, James Comey, of withholding crucial information about its investigation into Russian meddling in the election, and raised the prospect of subpoenaing the agency.

“I would say at this point we know less than a fraction of what the FBI knows,” the California Democrat told reporters after a briefing with Comey. “I appreciate we had a long briefing and testimony from the director today, but in order for us to do our investigation in a thorough and credible way, we’re gonna need the FBI to fully cooperate, to be willing to tell us the length and breadth of any counterintelligence investigations they are conducting. At this point, the director was not willing to do that.”

Speaking to Fox News on Thursday evening, Sessions, a former senator from Alabama, reiterated that he did not discuss the campaign with Kislyak. “When I campaigned for Trump, I was not involved with anything like that,” he said. “You can be sure.”

Despite the conclusions of US intelligence agencies, Sessions refused to say whether Putin favoured Trump over Hillary Clinton in the presidential race. “I have never been told that,” he told the host, Tucker Carlson. “I don’t have any idea, Tucker – you’d have to ask them.”

Trump meets with intelligence leaders after calling Russia case 'witch-hunt'
Read more
Trump has consistently denied business or political ties with Russia but has also been conspicuously reluctant to criticise Putin and raised the prospect of reviewing sanctions against the country. Opponents argue there is circumstantial evidence that Trump colluded with Moscow to help his campaign but definitive proof has remained elusive.

Last month Trump’s national security adviser, Michael Flynn, was forced to resign amid controversy over his discussions with Kislyak in late December.

On Thursday, it emerged that Kushner joined Flynn at a private meeting with the ambassador at Trump Tower in New York. Another campaign aide, Carter Page, did not deny meeting Kislyak during the Republican national convention. And the Wall Street Journal reported that Trump’s son, Donald Jr, was probably paid at least $50,000 for an appearance late last year at a French thinktank whose founder and wife have strong ties to Russia.

Trump, meanwhile, said that Sessions was the target of a “witch-hunt” and declared his “total” confidence in him.

He tweeted: “This whole narrative is a way of saving face for Democrats losing an election that everyone thought they were supposed to win. The Democrats are overplaying their hand. They lost the election, and now they have lost their grip on reality.”
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

More on Kremlin/Russia -Gate. Now,loyal Poodleistan is being brought into the ring to villify Trump's men by an outed MI-6 operative. The MI-6 and CIA/US establishment nexus is evident. They all wanted Hillary to win at any cost for their own vested interests.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 08456.html
S Senate calls on British spy Christopher Steele to give evidence on explosive Trump-Russia dossier
Exclusive: Republicans and Democrats in Congress keen to facilitate discreet meetings in the UK or on neutral territory, as pressure grows on President

Kim Sengupta Defence Editor

President Donald Trump arrives to board Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland Reuters
Christopher Steele, the former MI6 spy who prepared the explosive Trump report, has been approached about testifying before the US Senate Intelligence Committee’s investigation into the new President’s alleged links with Russia, The Independent can reveal.

Mr Steele’s friends say it is currently unlikely he would be willing to travel to the US. But it is understood Democrats – as well as some Republicans – in Congress are prepared to facilitate discreet initial meetings in the UK or on other neutral territory.

John McCain, the former Republican presidential candidate, and chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, sent an intermediary to London in November last year to collect Mr Steele’s dossier, which was subsequently passed personally by the Senator to FBI director James Comey.

READ MORE
Ex-MI6 agent's frustration as FBI sat on Trump file for months
And Mr Steele had, while carrying out his Trump inquiry, himself liaised for regular periods with the bureau.

Mr Trump has personally attacked Mr Steele, declaring the report on the Kremlin connection by the former MI6 officer as a fabricated work, put together by a “failed spy”.

In reality, Mr Steele was, and continues to be, held in high regard by British security and intelligence services as well as the American security officials who worked with him in the past.

It emerged this week that the FBI had, at one stage, proposed to pay him to continue his investigation into Mr Trump and his associates. :rotfl:

Trump denies team had contact with Russia during election campaign
But that deal fell through and Mr Steele ultimately continued to work without pay because he was so worried by what he was discovering.

Mr Steele has not yet responded to requests to meet with Senate officials – described as informal at this stage – for testimony, which have come over the last fortnight. But friends say he may be willing to speak about his investigation to senators and US officials if certain security conditions are met.

The development comes amid fresh revelations of the Trump administration’s interaction with the Russians. It has emerged that Jeff Sessions, the Attorney General, was in contact with Moscow’s ambassador to the US during the election campaign.

Mr Trump’s national security adviser, Lieutenant General Michael Flynn, was forced to resign after details of similar communications surfaced last month.

It has also emerged that in the last days of Barack Obama’s presidency, officials were so worried that the incoming Trump administration would try to suppress or destroy incriminating material that they passed on information to the intelligence agencies and senior figures in Congress.

There is now similar concern that the Trump White House is trying to sabotage the Russia investigations. Democrats have asked for an inquiry into attempts by White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, to get the FBI to dismiss media reports about members of Mr Trump’s coterie contacting Russian officials.

The drive to contact Mr Steele and others, according to those familiar with the issue, is to try and ensure that as much information as possible is gathered by the Senate Intelligence Committee.

The committee is carrying out its own investigation, separate from one being conducted by the FBI, on the Russian links and attempts by the Kremlin to interfere in the American political process. There will, however, be mutual sharing of relevant material.

The controversial orders Donald Trump has already issued

The Washington Post this week reported the plan by the FBI to pay Mr Steele, who was one of MI6’s foremost Russia specialists, to continue his inquiries.

The Independent understands that the offer came after the discovery of a campaign of cyber hacking on state electoral systems in September, which led to a public charge against Moscow by the Obama administration.

Mr Steele became involved in the Trump investigation through the Washington-based firm Fusion GPS, which had been hired by Republican opponents of Mr Trump in September 2015.

In June 2016, Mr Steele joined up with the team. In July, Mr Trump won the Republican nomination and the Democrats became new employers of Mr Steele and Fusion GPS. With that contract due to come to an end with the election, the FBI stepped in with its offer of funding.

Vice President Mike Pence whispers in the President’s ear (Getty)
Mr Steele has been regularly supplying information to the FBI. In June last year, for instance, he produced a memo which went to the bureau stating that Mr Trump’s campaign team had agreed to a Russian request to dilute attention on Moscow’s intervention in Ukraine.

Four days later Mr Trump stated that he would recognise Moscow’s annexation of Crimea: officials involved in his campaign having already asked the Republican party’s election platform to remove a pledge for military assistance to the Ukrainian government against separatist rebels in the east of the country.

Mr Steele claimed the Trump campaign was taking this path because it was aware that the Russians were hacking Democratic Party emails. The same day that Mr Trump spoke about Crimea, he called on the Kremlin to hack Hillary Clinton’s emails.

However, Mr Steele became increasingly frustrated that the FBI was failing to take action on the intelligence from others as well as him.

He came to believe there was a cover-up, that a cabal within the bureau blocked a thorough inquiry into Mr Trump, focusing instead on the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails. The MI6 officer’s passing of information to the FBI ceased in December last year.
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

GShankar wrote:In short, whoever gets new h1-b under the cap (change of status from within US or fresh h1-b from outside of US) can only start working in h1-b from October. So, for this reason PP is not really useful imo especially becaue DHS-USCIS will complete processing all the 65k approved h1-b petitions before October (more like May-June).
It is not start date that is being targeted.

denying entry of people with visas turned out to be more problematic for the admin.

Not having PP allows them time to tweak rules and process before visas are issued. I won't be surprised if there are large scale rejections even after lottery picks.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

I am not sure DT will survive for long. Russia drama is being played day after day and large sections of both the main parties are playing it. Neo Cons joining libs. If one looks closer both share lot of commonalities when it comes international affairs.