Perspectives on the global economic meltdown (Jan 26 2010)

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Shankas
BRFite

Re: Perspectives on the global economic meltdown (Jan 26 201

Post by Shankas »

SwamyG wrote:^^^
Can you elaborate?
SwamyG
Internal consumption has driven India's growth so far. I feel we have hit the tipping point on the perception meter and the west now views India as a manufacturing base. This shift and noise has gotten louder in the past 6 months. I am seeing and hearing a lot of "India" in business presentation. Two weeks ago I sat through 4 investment pitches and 2 of them had India as their 1st and preferred manufacturing location. In that same meeting, on two separate occasions, couple of “family office” representatives went on a rant about not wanting to do any more investment in China as they have been burnt. I am hearing this more frequently and I also see a lot more nodders in the audience.

In my opinion, during this realignment/meltdown phase, Indian will not suffer much since our industrial contribution accounts for so little globally (Good Karma, I guess). This realignment, I am convinced will leave china wounded and the west bitter. The west will strive to curtail them. Part realization and part spite will lead them in droves to India. I now hear also hear this statement “India is a country that does fair business” - I see the shift clearly and I smile a lot in these meetings now a days.

I also feel in 2+ years, we will reach a point where our infrastructure will no longer be a deterrent. In the next 10 years our industry base will expand exponentially and net agriculture number will diminish.

A little background on me - I split my time between Toronto and Mumbai, spending around 10 days in each city. I hate the travel, but love what I do.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

May I ask your email. thx
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Manishw: Why do you say correcting the imbalance would make India a surplus? A country is not going to have 33.33% of each; one of them is going to be higher.

Shankas: What you are saying is that Indian manufacturing is bound to rise. Am I hearing that correctly? That is what I said when the "industry" component has to increase. Thanks for your gyaan.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Both China and India have a lot of growth left. For all the noise about China, the fact that 39.5% of its people are still involved in agriculture shows again that the gap between the two countries is not more than 10 years.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

India does not need to "reduce" or "increase" anything. That has to be decided by the market rather than any kind of strategic planning. With that said, India is not really optimized for farming unlike the US so in the future, agriculture will certainly decrease. India's main assets will be a highly educated and skilled population, if you reduce economic barriers and give incentive for entrepreneurship and innovation, the rest will follow.
Manishw
BRFite

Post by Manishw »

SwamyG wrote:Manishw: Why do you say correcting the imbalance would make India a surplus? A country is not going to have 33.33% of each; one of them is going to be higher.
SwamyG

I never said that correcting the imbalance would make us surplus and never said that a country is going to have 33.33% of each.
Perhaps you need to read it again so for your benefit-

Manishw wrote: SwamyG Ji,
I do not know what Shankas is referring to but if one believes that the global economy is heading for a crunch in the near future(2 yrs.) then we would be better off as deficit manufacturing country and not surplus as PRC is. This would allow us to ramp up production post crunch and thus help us to come out unscathed comparatively.

JMT and would love to be corrected.
Shankas
BRFite

Post by Shankas »

Acharya wrote:May I ask your email. thx
Is there a way to send it privately in BR?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Carl_T wrote:India does not need to "reduce" or "increase" anything. That has to be decided by the market rather than any kind of strategic planning. With that said, India is not really optimized for farming unlike the US so in the future, agriculture will certainly decrease. India's main assets will be a highly educated and skilled population, if you reduce economic barriers and give incentive for entrepreneurship and innovation, the rest will follow.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Manishw: My point was India has to "reduce" or "increase" to balance. And you threw in the opinion that being deficit was better, so I wondered why. That is all.
Manishw
BRFite

Post by Manishw »

well Swamy your point is still not clear perhaps if you were to answer to one post at a time it would be clear .What is wrong that you find in this statement:
I do not know what Shankas is referring to but if one believes that the global economy is heading for a crunch in the near future(2 yrs.) then we would be better off as deficit manufacturing country and not surplus as PRC is. This would allow us to ramp up production post crunch and thus help us to come out unscathed comparatively.

Kindly put it simply so we don't go around in circles.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Manishw wrote:
SwamyG wrote:^^^
Can you elaborate?
SwamyG Ji,

another idea is to jump to next industrial model - the renewable model
Manishw
BRFite

Post by Manishw »

RamaY wrote:
another idea is to jump to next industrial model - the renewable model
RamaY Ji,
That is a great idea TPTB have perfected the art of ripping the natural resources which is unworkable in the long term and we have to get to the renewable model as early as possible.
paramu
BRFite

Post by paramu »

Looks like there is going to be some form of bloodbath in Wall Street

Huge Quant Fund DE Shaw Lays Off 150 People
DE Shaw, the huge quant-driven hedge fund run by David E Shaw, laid off 150 people today
The news comes after Morgan Stanley announced yesterday that they had instituted a hiring freeze, RBS cut 500 i-banking jobs in London, and last week's news that Bank of America's plans to cut 5% of its staff.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Resident alarmist allahramist sri AEP is on a terrible rock'nroll here. Ne'er quite seen anything like this screed from this veteran commentator....

Shut Down the Fed (Part II) (Telegraph, UQ)
I apologise to readers around the world for having defended the emergency stimulus policies of the US Federal Reserve, and for arguing like an imbecile naif that the Fed would not succumb to drug addiction, political abuse, and mad intoxicated debauchery, once it began taking its first shots of quantitative easing.

My pathetic assumption was that Ben Bernanke would deploy further QE only to stave off DEFLATION, not to create INFLATION. If the Federal Open Market Committee cannot see the difference, God help America.

We now learn from last week’s minutes that the Fed is willing “to provide additional accommodation if needed to … return inflation, over time, to levels consistent with its mandate.” NO, NO, NO, this cannot possibly be true.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...go easy on the regrets and rig-rats, will ya, AEP dude....
So all those hillsmen in Idaho, with their Colt 45s and boxes of krugerrands, who sent furious emails to the Telegraph accusing me of defending a hyperinflating establishment cabal were right all along. The Fed is indeed out of control. The sophisticates at banking conferences in London, Frankfurt, and New York who aplogized for this primitive monetary creationsim – as I did – are the ones who lost the plot.

My apologies. Mercy, for I have sinned against sound money, and therefore against sound politics. I stick to my view that Friedmanite QE ‘a l’outrance‘ is legitimate to prevent a collapse of the M3 broad money supply, and to prevent outright deflation in economies with total debt levels near or above 300pc of GDP. Not in any circumstances, but where necessary, and where conducted properly by purchasing bonds outside the banking system (not the same as Bernanke “creditism”).
Aaah, ever more sane janta rediscover religion in these troubled times, seems like. Hey, in my own little way, Moi too had several wrenching moments of gyan that all my past models and frameworks and understandings of how the world worked were all and all-ways wrong only. Not a happy scene, that.
We have a very odd world. The IMF has doubled its global growth forecast to 4.5pc this year, and authorities everywhere have ruled out a serious risk of a double dip recession. Yet at the same time the Bank of Japan has embarked on unsterilised currency intervention, which amounts to stimulus, and both the Fed and the Bank of England are signalling fresh QE.

You can’t have it both ways. If the US is not in deep trouble, the Fed should not be thinking of extra QE. It should step back and let the economy heal itself, if necessary enduring several years of poor growth to purge excess leverage.
Hear, hear. But its not even as if what the Fed is doing is keynesianism. At least there, the gubmint spends on projcts that translate into wages for mango people - recall FDR's policies. Here, by lending money away @ 0% to banks, the FEd doesn;t even have the keynesian figleaf of concern and action on behalf of mango joes and janes anymore.
Yes, U6 unemployment is 16.7pc. But as dissenters at the Minneapolis Fed remind us, you cannot solve a structural unemployment crisis with loose money. Fed is trying to conjure away the hangover from the last binge (which Greenspan/Bernanke caused, let us not forget), as if to vindicate its prior claim that you can always clean up painlessly after asset bubbles.

Are the Chinese right? Are the Americans and the British now so decadent that they will refuse to take their punishment, opting to default on their debts by stealth?
{Err, what do you mean? Of course anglosaxonia would have to default on unpayable debt - didya doubt that ever or what??}
Sooner or later we may learn what the Fed’s hawkish bloc of Fisher, Lacker, Plosser, Hoenig, Warsh, and Kocherlakota really think about this latest lurch into monetary la la land, with all that it implies for moral hazard and debt contracts. If I have written harsh words about these heroic resisters, I apologise for that too.
oh, read it all....read it all...

Disclaimer: all opinions and perspectives only. Kindly retain perspective, scepticism and caveat emptor, as always.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

SwamyG wrote:My point was India has to "reduce" or "increase" to balance. And you threw in the opinion that being deficit was better, so I wondered why. That is all.
I have not followed the discussion from its origns but the balance should always be decided by the market. Any attempt to reduce or increase anything runs the risk of creating terrible distortions. Much like recent attempts to increase home ownership (sounded great back in 2001) ended in disaster.

Nothing wrong with agriculture btw especially if it can be linked to value added export industries. The idea that industry = good and agriculture = bad needs to be discarded. China has ploughed under a lot of its agricultural land to put up factories exporting stuff to US for paper promisory notes which may well end up being worth less than they thought (wiping out all profit margins and beyond).

Agriculture also provides some strategic independance.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Rama and Manish: The renewable model should not & cannot stand alone. Renewable sources of energy should "commoditized" enough for them to seep into agriculture, industry and services.

Neshant: Seeking a balance is a prudent decision, and automatically does not make one better or worse. There is no such thing as 'market'. All markets are manipulated by the Big Private Corporations and/or the Governments.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Gosh. I never thought it will come to this. California crashes to turd world status! Soaring heat 45C :eek: :eek: :eek: , people switch air conditioners on and you have POWER CUTS :lol: :lol: .

Whatever happened to tough guy Governerator. His constituents in LA seem to be a bunch of wimpy "girly men" . Heat touches 38C+ and people start dying! While in Yindia, temp hits 45C in most parts during summer, no power, no a/c people,people whine, moan (while "girly men " dilli billis steal power to run their a/cs for free), but they manage just fine :roll: .

But seriously folks, 45C in LA! it must be absolutely freakish. Wonder what ArmenTullah has to say about how things are like in LA!
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

^ I can understand the "cannot" part, but not "should not".

It will be "commoditized" once it is accepted, promoted and standardized.

All we see is hap-hazardous exploration of that idea at best.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

45C in LA? When was this? We haven't seen 45 in a while in AZ. LA is in the thirties afaik.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

vina wrote:Gosh. I never thought it will come to this. California crashes to turd world status! Soaring heat 45C :eek: :eek: :eek: , people switch air conditioners on and you have POWER CUTS :lol: :lol: .

Whatever happened to tough guy Governerator. His constituents in LA seem to be a bunch of wimpy "girly men" . Heat touches 38C+ and people start dying! While in Yindia, temp hits 45C in most parts during summer, no power, no a/c people,people whine, moan (while "girly men " dilli billis steal power to run their a/cs for free), but they manage just fine :roll: .

But seriously folks, 45C in LA! it must be absolutely freakish. Wonder what ArmenTullah has to say about how things are like in LA!
It has been a very unusual year - weather wise.First, we had over 60 inches of snow here in DC/NoVA during winter,then 90+ temperature from early June which in itself was a record.Mercury stayed over 100 most days in July and now we are almost into October and temperature has been hovering over 85-90 making it one of the hottest septembers in recent years.

@Prasad : I think it was 45 C in LA earlier this week.
Vina, whats so strange about power grids tripping due to high loads? We had plenty of outages this summer in the east coast thanks to relentless heat. And heatwaves kill hundreds in India every year - it is usually the poor and elderly who suffer the most.Anyways, CA is used to outages , after all it was Enron's planned power outages that put Gray Davis out and helped Arnie win the election.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Ambar wrote:Vina, whats so strange about power grids tripping due to high loads?
Well, that tripping is usually what happens in Turd world countries with broken power grids and underinvestment in power capacity and the inability to cater to peak loads!.
Anyways, CA is used to outages ,
Oh no, it aint. I used to live in SF and no power cuts ever except for one day when PGE grid conked out due to some reason and a woman was run over at a traffic intersection.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... ca/?src=mv
September 28, 2010, 1:56 PM
The Poorest States of America
By CATHERINE RAMPELL
As part of its broad data release from the American Community Survey, the Census Bureau has also put out a report on poverty rates by state.

As previously reported, 14.3 percent of the American population had income in 2009 that was below the official poverty threshold, compared with 13.2 percent in 2008.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

SwamyG wrote: Neshant: Seeking a balance is a prudent decision, and automatically does not make one better or worse. There is no such thing as 'market'. All markets are manipulated by the Big Private Corporations and/or the Governments.
Of course there is such a thing as market as Big Private Corporations and Governments found out in 2008. LOL!

That's what The Great Recession is all about.

There is no such thing as seeking a balance, the balance will find the seeker.

Nothing is more powerful than the market in bringing prices back to reality. The end result of all the so called balance seeking is that central planners find they have made a total mess of the situation. Then come idiotic ideas like printing money, stimulating.. which are just half-baked con jobs draining wealth from the productive economy in a hopeless attempt at price rigging.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

vina wrote: But seriously folks, 45C in LA! it must be absolutely freakish. Wonder what ArmenTullah has to say about how things are like in LA!
Saar, yesterday was actually worse. It hit 109 F around my home and about 105 F where I work. One of the server room ACs conked and they had to rush two repairmen in pronto, while a bunch of office servers took a nose dive. Today, two electricians turned off power for 2 hours in our office server room, while they did some preventive maintenance to make sure this issue didn't happen again.

Luckily for me, work doesn't care if I wear phata chaddi-banian, which is why I went to work yesterday wearing those. However, today and for the rest of the week, I'll be somewhere a bit more formal, so have to wear business casual onlee :(.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

ArmenT wrote:Saar, yesterday was actually worse. It hit 109 F around my home and about 105 F where I work. One of the server room ACs conked and they had to rush two repairmen in pronto, while a bunch of office servers took a nose dive.
Whoa! That is even more Turd world. I mean mission critical servers conking out because of A/Cs not working because of power problems ! Wonder what all the Goras doing a fine toothcomb of all the IT/Vity facilities in Yindia for disaster recover and failsafe rollover and all the rest of the IT/VITy things they insist in India (and which works very well here despite all that heat and stuff in places like Hyderabad, Dilli, Mumbai and UP/Bihar) will think of it going happening in off in all places ,Californication.

Here that sort of thing will set off a huge R&D (Rhona & Dhona) like the CWG thread if just one data center /command center at any IT/Vity guy for any phoren client goes down for any reason. TOIlet will be bleating non stop in the front pages.
Luckily for me, work doesn't care if I wear phata chaddi-banian, which is why I went to work yesterday wearing those. However, today and for the rest of the week, I'll be somewhere a bit more formal, so have to wear business casual onlee :(.
I used to visit LA and SD and know it can get pretty hot in the inland valleys and places like Joshua Tree and all that , some approx 15 /20 miles from the coast and (same as East Bay / Pleasanton/Livermore vs SF/Peninsula) there is a huge change in weather in the rain shadow regions beyond the coastal mountains, but 45C on the coast in Downtown LA.. sort of makes you wonder.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Sri Todd Harrison, founder of minyanville blog waxes articulate eloquence. Its for archiving gems like these that the effort is worth it:
The Greatest Market Head-Fake of All-Time?

Oh, don't take my word for it. Read it all only. I won;t even bother highlighting portions of this piece. Its all worthwhile.
One of the first adages I learned on Wall Street was that nobody is bigger than the market. That theory is being put to the test.

"Don't fight the Fed" has been taken to an entirely new level. It's no longer about rate cuts -- that bullet blasted long ago -- it's about massive "intervention,” intricate acronyms, and the full faith and credibility of our government. For those who point to the past -- The Depression, the 70's, Y2K -- I would offer that this time is indeed different. Never before has the world been so interconnected and leveraged. FDR didn’t know what a derivative was.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want to see an economic recovery as I stand to benefit as much as the next guy. Despite what we hear -- the recession is over, the upside is easy -- let me tell you something you already know: it's not easy and it ain't over. I consider myself an optimistic realist, meaning I hope for the best but will call it like I see it. Before we put the final toe tag on the legacy of this Great Recession, I foresee more pain, perhaps a lot of it.

There are drugs that mask the symptoms and medicine that cures the disease. The drugs -- giving the drunk another drink with hopes he sobers up -- will carry us for only so long before social mood sours to the point of deterioration either domestically, internationally, or both. The medicine -- debt destruction or reorganization -- would be a bitter pill for asset classes but a strong step towards true globalization.

The government bought time, literally, by reflating markets and allowing corporate America to roll out debt and issue stock. Risk wasn't destroyed, it simply changed shape. It migrated from one perception to another, from one balance sheet to the next. I don't know how to be any clearer; we can run but we cannot indefinitely hide. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The imbalances are cumulative still and the lessons learned from the previous crisis have been squandered.

Could we rally in the intermediate term? Sure, just as nobody is bigger than the market, nobody is smarter than it either... least of all me. I respect David Tepper -- his track record and the attendant compensation are eye-poppers -- but would caution Minyans that if a trade looks too easy, it probably is.
uh-oh. jai oh.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

SwamyG Ji>>

Consider a situation in which a conductor (say unit cube) is being heated on one face
It takes certain amount of time before the temperature on the other face (opposite) records an increase. During this time the material is absorbing the energy.

Similarly an economy can only absorb that much growth and diversification with out upsetting the equilibrium or displace a large amount of resources into chaos

Be it land reforms, absorption of FDI thru FII it has to be regulated.
This what is shown in the production curves also called PPF production possibility curves, or surfaces (typical Guns vs Butter and also getting some partial differential equations into the picture gives economic some feel of Rock IT science pedigree).

There fore it is better our portfolio oaf Agriculture (based employment activity) Industrial (Production activity) and Service based ( activity /employment) gradually change like in Musical chairs rather than in a disruptive ways like our traffic patterns in cities.

Also some time back we talked about interest rates, inflation and growth,

Two weeks ago D Subbarao RBI Gov increase the Repo rate to dampen the velocity of money circulation (lending). This is major tool in forcing banks to keep enough reserves there by eliminating a scenario of shortage of cash. The banks do lend each other like typical Marwari/ Bania goldsmiths who borrow cash gold or even finished ornaments to not let go a prospective buyer
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

From 'the big picture' blog. self-explanatory, I'd think. Or almost so. Anyone notice how TSP comes in as 'extremely low debt'? I mean, wtf? OK. such gaffes shred cred a tad fast, mussay.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

ShivaS wrote:This what is shown in the production curves also called PPF production possibility curves, or surfaces (typical Guns vs Butter and also getting some partial differential equations into the picture gives economic some feel of Rock IT science pedigree).
Ah Mr Chevas Reagull, while I agree with the overall scheme of things of production possibility, I am highly skeptical of the introduction partial differential equations / Rock IT Science giri into Economics. That is one of the multiple reasons why Economics gets transformed into e-Con-O-Mix , though there I would agree that the shenanigans of the ideologues from DSE/ISI and the troglodytes from JNU are bigger factors and the ISI and DSE in particular are the biggest purveyors of Stat-is-sticks and Mad-Maths masquerading as e-Con-O-Mix.
Two weeks ago D Subbarao RBI Gov increase the Repo rate to dampen the velocity of money circulation (lending). This is major tool in forcing banks to keep enough reserves there by eliminating a scenario of shortage of cash.

Nein- Nein. The repo rate is the rate at which banks can borrow from the RBI, sort of like the Fed Discount Rate .. Not sure how that part works here in Yindia (I got my YumBeeYea in the AmirKhan Yeasth Coasht onree) coz if you go to the Fed for the discount window, you get a cavity search done on your accounts and not sure if a similar thing happens in Yindia, but the effect is the same as signaling interest rate.

So what Shri D. Subbarao did was increase the cost of funds to the banks and consequently the general cost of borrowing in the economy. Now by e-Con 101 we know that as Quantity Demanded goes down with Price. So basically trying to tamp down demand for money supply and control inflation.

But you did do "zikr" of "Velocity of Money" . That is important too. That sort of increases with technological so-piss-tication of transaction (stuff like , whipping out Credit Card anywhere anytime, wireless transfers, e-Money ityadi ) and you create Wampum out of thin air and exchange wampum quickly-quickly onree. So with a higher velocity of money, you would need only a smaller monetary base to sustain a given level of Nominal GDP. Conversely, if wampum transactions become fat-a-fat ,fat-a-fat, then Nominal GDP goes takes off like RackIT Mard shooting off. Now Nominal GDP taking off due to Price Rise or Actual Output with prices stability, only Khuda Jaane.

But Dekho what Shri D. Subbarao has done. One one hand, he increases cost of funds, but also on the other hand today in Business Standard, I read that a whole lot of "BC" (Banking Channel partners or whatever)have been given license to roll out Banking Services to the wider countryside to reach the "unbanked". The likes of Airtel and RCOMM ityadi are very happy indeed. They can roll out e-money, e-pay and e-receive kind of services to everyone who has a cellphone. So if you go to buy sabji and the sabji wallah and you finally say "Kitna hua?" and he says "72" and instead of you given out 8 Rs 10 notes and he giving you back Rs 8, you ask, "Number Bolo" and he says "9XXXXXXXX" and you dabao kuch buttons and tranfser 72 wampum to him. Imagine the entire country doing such wampum transfer, all very fast fast indeed. Actually you may not have to go to an ATM at all if it becomes common place. At periodic intervals, you do a electronic transfer of Wampum from your bank to your e-Cash (another form of Wampum) with your network provider and then spend and create more Wampum!

What will be result of all this very very fat-a-fat Wampum I ask you. Will it give the GDP a pop from the smaller than otherwise monetary base or will it lead to price rise.. Well, like I said that is only Kuhda Jaane.

Anyways since like Parameshwar /Bholenath/Shiva who can destroy and create at will, Shri D. Subbarao too can destroy and create Wampum at will by opening and closing his eyes at leisure. And just like Shiva, what he giveth with one hand, he taketh away with another!.
Satya_anveshi
BRF Oldie

Post by Satya_anveshi »

How I wish to see these places resembling Af-Pak.
Tens of thousands march in Brussels over austerity
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

ShivaS wrote: There fore it is better our portfolio oaf Agriculture (based employment activity) Industrial (Production activity) and Service based ( activity /employment) gradually change like in Musical chairs rather than in a disruptive ways like our traffic patterns in cities.
Seeking a balance does not mean it has to be done overnight by some draconian measures, right? And I have not implied that either.

Neshant: Keep thinking :-) The world is not that simple.
Last edited by SwamyG on 29 Sep 2010 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

RamaY wrote:^ I can understand the "cannot" part, but not "should not".

It will be "commoditized" once it is accepted, promoted and standardized.

All we see is hap-hazardous exploration of that idea at best.
"Should not" from the perspective of you or others have been talking about it separately.

Promoted is a key thing, if you look at the Solar industry then it would surprise us that Germany is the largest customer. Because of the huge subsidies offered by the government. And USA still lags, though it has plenty of sunshine and opportunity.

Renewable energy, going green or all the new age funda have to be weaved into all things we do; we should not look at as something different. Do you consider the creation, storage and distribution of electricity something separate. Not. Why should we then consider Solar, Wind, Bio-energy as something different?
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Manishw wrote:well Swamy your point is still not clear perhaps if you were to answer to one post at a time it would be clear .What is wrong that you find in this statement:

Kindly put it simply so we don't go around in circles.
Please do not take this as a wrong or right, we are just exchanging ideas. Since you replied to me about the balancing; I asked you more set of questions. Peace.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

vina wrote: Whoa! That is even more Turd world. I mean mission critical servers conking out because of A/Cs not working because of power problems ! Wonder what all the Goras doing a fine toothcomb of all the IT/Vity facilities in Yindia for disaster recover and failsafe rollover and all the rest of the IT/VITy things they insist in India (and which works very well here despite all that heat and stuff in places like Hyderabad, Dilli, Mumbai and UP/Bihar) will think of it going happening in off in all places ,Californication.
It was our office data center and not the real mission critical ones that make us the big money. We didn't have email, shared drives or DNS services for a while though. Our mission critical servers are in two separate places in Northern California in the heart of silicon valley, with a new data center coming up on the other side of the country as well. These DCs have all the goodies: backup power, backup AC, redundant power, multiple carriers etc. Incidentally, this doesn't always mean that even these data centers are 100% reliable: we had a problem a couple of months ago when the data center was adding more power capacity. One of the DC's backup generators didn't work as expected and some of our mission critical servers were down for 1/2 hour or so.
vina wrote:
ArmenT wrote:Luckily for me, work doesn't care if I wear phata chaddi-banian, which is why I went to work yesterday wearing those. However, today and for the rest of the week, I'll be somewhere a bit more formal, so have to wear business casual onlee :(.
I used to visit LA and SD and know it can get pretty hot in the inland valleys and places like Joshua Tree and all that , some approx 15 /20 miles from the coast and (same as East Bay / Pleasanton/Livermore vs SF/Peninsula) there is a huge change in weather in the rain shadow regions beyond the coastal mountains, but 45C on the coast in Downtown LA.. sort of makes you wonder.
Unfortunately, the place I am going for the rest of the week is in the heart of downtown LA and I'll be wearing business casual. Will let you guys know what I was up to after a week or so -- it is worthy of a true Masala film.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

--
Last edited by svinayak on 30 Sep 2010 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

Acharya ji your achilles heel is over exposed.
What is that you want to share with cut and paste graphic, who is the subject who is the object what is purpose.

The thing I infer is your speech is pictureque but of no value.

Data when encapsulated with meat data bound with in context morphs into information, which when used to benefit all is wisdom.

You are missing many ingredients to make any use of your intellect. you have been asked to provide source context etc many a time but all in vain. sad :(
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

Hari Seldon wrote:From 'the big picture' blog. self-explanatory, I'd think. Or almost so. Anyone notice how TSP comes in as 'extremely low debt'? I mean, wtf? OK. such gaffes shred cred a tad fast, mussay.
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content ... mparer.png
Hari Seldon ji

If you carefully observe that image, it also denotes a nation's credit worthiness.

No wonder BD has even lesser debt.

I want Pakis to get so much debt from their 3.5 friends that they should look deeeeeeeep red or black :(( :(( :((
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

SwamyG wrote: Neshant: Keep thinkingThe world is not that simple.
The balancing BS got creamed in the 2008 blowup. The fact that attempts by govt + banking crooks to balance people into higher levels of home ownership (more like higher levels of unpayable debt) ended in total disaster.

I lost all respect for many of these economits who show up on TV dispensing advice like we need to 'ease this credit' and 'loosen that' spigot. I began to realise these guys are just rolling dice and throwing around fancy terminology.

The reality is the market does not need any of these fools. It operates just fine without them introducing distortions and pocketing a fee.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

Reverse Immigration-Indians Heading Back to India
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZylvePFCmNA