India-US Relations : News and Discussion

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Re: India-US Relations : News and Discussion

Post by Tuvaluan »

“People may be less likely to develop an anti-immigrant attitude based on immutable qualities,” he says. “You can’t change your skin color, but you can learn English.”
I would like ahole Heinmuller to learn gujarati,hindi, tamil and all the official state languages the next time he lands in India. Heinmuller better be speaking Tamil in tamilnadu if the madakoodhi does not want the sh!t kicked out of him. This applies to him and all his aged relatives too.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

SwamyG wrote:Why is the clamor for GoI to get involved? A serious question. Does foreign governmento get involved when foreign tourists are attacked in India? What is the protocol?
What the use of IFS if there are not even coming to aid of Indian attacked like in the present case. This is in fact minimum expected of them. But for media presure I am sure IFS will be sleeping. Now our Atlanta Counsel office person is either in touch or reach the place.

What I am surprised is the silence of SS and other BJP leaders. Afraid to speak now or simply not caring. I do not know. SS was asking for cutting heads of 10 pakis of one Indian while she was LOP. Now became a Gungi Gudia. Great process in her life.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

As far as the official GoI response is concerned, it is a matter of prioritizing what is more important. If reacting to this incident in Alabama is liable to queer things to the point where the US ends up holding more cards than India, then the GoI will not react. It is actually as simple as that. "Needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few" is the usual principle.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Tuvaluan wrote:As far as the official GoI response is concerned, it is a matter of prioritizing what is more important. If reacting to this incident in Alabama is liable to queer things to the point where the US ends up holding more cards than India, then the GoI will not react. It is actually as simple as that. "Needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few" is the usual principle.
Just imagine this kind of thing happen to any Gora person of US, will their think in the same lines?? Will their parties keep quite. If they have a party like BJP, will it keep quit? I am sure they won't.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

I think there is too much rona-dhona. The MEA statement is a diplomatic equivalent of "peechoney baans" (Mamta trademark bamboo) to Ombaba and US's state dept.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Just imagine this kind of thing happen to any Gora person of US, will their think in the same lines?? Will their parties keep quite. If they have a party like BJP, will it keep quit? I am sure they won't.
Is gora behavior some sort of a benchmark? In any case, how much of a racket did the gora governments create when Daniel Pearl was beheaded, for example. Or when some american is mugged/raped in India? They follow the same principle of "needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few" -- governments usually know what they expect out of their relations with any other foreign government. They will not rock the boat if that will spoil a larger game that they are playing with the foreign government, as doing that may well not help them in the pursuit of their nation's interest.

From a personal level, it is hard to understand such ruthless behavior that demeans personal sufferings of individual citizens of the State, but matters of State require ruthlessness, and the Indian govt. is no different from the US govt. when it comes to such things.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Rao garu, I seriously don't understand what GoI should be doing? Do you want foreign governments breathing down India's neck when accidents or other attacks happen on foreign citizens in India? These things happen all the time, no? Forget Doorknob Goosewami, who wants to make everything a circus. It is evident, that a mistake was made, and it has racist underpinning. Some actions are being taken. So why get BJP and sundry into the proceedings? You want Modi to issue a statement that "USA is an unsafe place to travel!" type of statements? There are larger fights, no?
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Comment by a Chinese origin person on the racist assault on Patel garu
Wanxia Liao · Top Commenter

I’ve just watched the video, it’s really disturbing. But what makes this case peculiar is not that a person of color got abused by the cops, but that the perpetrator cop got arrested so quickly. Look at the Black victims’ cases, they got killed by cops even on camera, but the cops never got arrested, they go free. I think the reason for the quick arrest in this case is that this gentleman is a citizen of India, so it concerns foreign relations, and the US is now trying to have a good relation with India. If he is a citizen of China, he would not be so lucky. Of course also because the Indian people, unlike the Chinese, they always stand up for their rights, just like not long ago the female Indian diplomat’s story where the Indian government and people stood up for her.
Reply · Like · Follow Post · about an hour ago

Wanxia Liao · Top Commenter

So if the Indians are as passive as the Chinese, there would not be such a quick arrest, and moreover, they might end up like me: I became a criminal of thought in Canada, lost everything in life, only because I, as a graduate student at U of Toronto, exercised my free speech to disagree with a White professor’s theory – beauty is a European concept, Asians did not have it in history, and complained against his retaliation. The Ontario human rights commission, a White professor of UC Berkeley, etc. and the whole justice system conspired to criminalize me by coercing me to testify to the Commission and then charging me for my testimony. A judge convicted me on his admitted “guessing” that I “meant” to threaten the White professor in my mind although I never named any one in my alleged threat.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

Is the complutions mean you can not even speak??? I mean SS can not even express concern? Of course Khan will get angry. Earlier we were afraid to say and do anything that may anger China, Now US is also added. Left to IFS they care for nothing for you and mean unless there is presure. Just like any other babus.

What is next - send drones to kill facisi BJP leaders since they are not following Obomber instructions on secularisum ??? If you can not call a racist attack on your citizens as one then consider yourself as another big Pakiland.

What I want is at least speak out. Is it too much to expect that our MEA minister and PM to speak on this???
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

Rapes are committed by criminals.This act of 'law enforcement' was done by a 'policeman'.

This is systemic human rights abuse/racism.Theres a world of difference.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

YagnaSri wrote: Is the complutions mean you can not even speak??? I mean SS can not even express concern? Of course Khan will get angry. Earlier we were afraid to say and do anything that may anger China, Now US is also added. Left to IFS they care for nothing for you and mean unless there is presure. Just like any other babus.
This is just false. The MEA spokesman Syed Akbaruddin has spoken out quite strongly against this incident, so the above claims are just bogus. GoI spokespersons are speaking, but apparently Indians don't really want to listen to what they say, and would rather b!tch and moan about the lack of response.
Syed Akbaruddin @MEAIndia · Feb 11

. @ahmedpatel Took up issue with US Embassy in Delhi & local police chief , expressed serious concern & deputed consular official to assist
Follow the tweets of @MEAIndia -- it is quite silly to create a racket and demand that the PM personally respond to every event in the USA. There are people in the govt. whose responsibility is to speak on behalf of SS and NaMo and officially present the GoI's POV.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

1. "Why GoI": Because the victim is a subject of India. The government exists to protect your rights. And for this reason alone. They do not exist to lord over citizens.

2. "What":Standard consular protection. International treaties require the government to help its citizens gain access to lawyers, doctors, and counsellors. Again, NOT optional.

Part of this is expressing official concern over the illegal treatment, and if needed, prosecution in Indian courts fof any abusers of Indian citizens. This is what every country does. This is what the constitution demands of the Indian government.

What the government ought to/needs to do, vs. whether that will make ANY difference are two separate questions.

MEA has tried gross indifference for 60 years. Perhaps an activist compassionate approach could also be given a try. The PM is not the only representative of GoI. Adequate representation can come from any senior MEA officer.

In this particular case, the media "good boys" are all over it. Now it doesnt make a difference to this person's case.

However, I can not adequately judge the deterrent value of persistent protests. Note, its not that official protest is avoidable. It is just that like the limited options available to US citizens, it probably would have no impact or deterrent value.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Syed Akbaruddin @MEAIndia · 23h 23 hours ago

Following efforts there is progress on issues related to Mr Sureshbhai Patel. We will continue to pursue this in Delhi, Washington & Alabama

. @ahmedpatel Took up issue with US Embassy in Delhi & local police chief , expressed serious concern & deputed consular official to assist

0 replies 142 retweets 71 favorites
New Delhi, Delhi
Syed Akbaruddin @MEAIndia · Feb 11

. @kmpandey Consulate General in Atlanta in touch with Madison police chief & providing all necessary consular assistance.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

So what action or type of statements should Modi and GoI hAve made on such an incident?
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

YagnaSri wrote:Is the complutions mean you can not even speak??? I mean SS can not even express concern? Of course Khan will get angry. Earlier we were afraid to say and do anything that may anger China, Now US is also added. Left to IFS they care for nothing for you and mean unless there is presure. Just like any other babus.
Sir, in diplo speak, MEA's spokesperson seems rather strong already.
MurthyB wrote:^^^^
They have gotten involved at least to the extent of issuing statements:
Indian man slammed down after caller reported 'black guy'
The Indian government is taking the incident seriously and is "extremely disturbed" by the treatment of Patel, a spokesman said Friday.

"This is a matter of concern for us, and India and the U.S. as open pluralist societies need to address these issues and find ways in a mature manner so that these are aberrations and are not the norm," said Syed Akbaruddin, India's foreign ministry spokesman.
The bolded part is rather reminscent of Ombaba at his prayer breakfast: say something positive and couch your message inside it.

Yes, NaMo should respond, but not at an official level. We cannot take a bazooka to a knife fight. First priority is to ensure the injured citizen is taken care of and is on the way to recovery. In the meantime, use the official spokesperson to say that 'we are watching you'. A week or two later, when things have quietened down a bit, NaMo can gently chide the US much like the so-called prayer breakfast.

Most importantly, GoI should assist the Patel family in suing the state of AL, and ensuring the cop does not get away scot-free. This is the most difficult part. Let's see how it goes.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

Shreeman wrote:Part of this is expressing official concern over the illegal treatment, and if needed, prosecution in Indian courts fof any abusers of Indian citizens. This is what every country does. This is what the constitution demands of the Indian government.
That's a good point sir. We should probably pass a law saying such actions on Indian citizens will invoke automatic prosecution in India, and the accused will be considered undesirable and not allowed to enter. If the accused is a govt employee, as in this case, the case can be filed against the govt of the said country, to be represented by the representative of the country. In serious cases, a provision should exist to issue Interpol notices. Not that anything will come at the ground level, but it will be a good deterrent against showing 'training tactics' by instructors on brown folks, and we should start establishing these extra-territorial laws for future use when we are a much bigger economy with greater global heft.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

^^^This is a response to the post above the previous post. Not the immediate previous post.

No. This is an immature suggestion. You do not sit/brood over these issues. A statement of concern from any appropriate office must come right after an incident as it customary. This and only this shows concern for your citizen.

For example -- citizen killed by ISIS. You condemn it thrn and there. You dont gestate.

The second part, "GOI should ..." is where you are wrong. GOI cant even protect itself (remember DK?) let alone influence any process in US. The responsibility lies with AL/Feds.

All the Dera Atlanta khan (Cc:ulanbator, mangolia) indian officials can do is monitor progress andexpress scorn. And if you are paying attention to Yak riders, they are not exactly first-rate officers. When things fall off media, they will go back to moving files.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

arshyam wrote:
Shreeman wrote:Part of this is expressing official concern over the illegal treatment, and if needed, prosecution in Indian courts fof any abusers of Indian citizens. This is what every country does. This is what the constitution demands of the Indian government.
That's a good point sir. We should probably pass a law saying such actions on Indian citizens will invoke automatic prosecution in India, and the accused will be considered undesirable and not allowed to enter. If the accused is a govt employee, as in this case, the case can be filed against the govt of the said country, to be represented by the representative of the country. In serious cases, a provision should exist to issue Interpol notices. Not that anything will come at the ground level, but it will be a good deterrent against showing 'training tactics' by instructors on brown folks, and we should start establishing these extra-territorial laws for future use when we are a much bigger economy with greater global heft.
You dont need any new laws. The citizens receive constitutional protections by virtue of holding the citizenship. GoI already has the standing it needs.

There is NO defined, prevalent process, however. Indian federal courts operate on the basis of criminal reports filed in local jurisdictions. No report, no action, unless the court takes suo moto action. But you are not kapil sibal either.

ps -- all those letters rogatory and CBI foreign junkets you keep hearing about. Foreign prosecutions of Italians in bribing probes. The bhopal related prosecution of the carbide chairman. plenty more examples, where a foreigner committed mostly bribery only.
Yagnasri
BRF Oldie

Post by Yagnasri »

SwamyG wrote:Why is the clamor for GoI to get involved? A serious question. Do foreign governmento get involved when foreign tourists are attacked in India? What is the protocol?
Why don't we see what happens if such thing happens to any poor white person in India. I am sure Obomber will pick the phone and give lecture to all of us about Gandhi etc.

All this shall be taken into contest. Lectures to us on sicularisum and GOI ministers keeping quite when this happens. Is SS trying something funny??? SS being silent?? I don t know,
arun
BRF Oldie

Post by arun »

SwamyG wrote:Why is the clamor for GoI to get involved? A serious question. Do foreign governmento get involved when foreign tourists are attacked in India? What is the protocol?
In cases where a “State Actor” is perpetrator, GOI “clamour” is mandatory. Here in the assault on Sureshbhai Patel, a US “State Actor” acting in an official capacity has paralysed an Indian citizen making it 400% mandatory for GOI to get involved. This is not a case of some Non-State criminal assaulting an Indian citizen but rather a member of the US Police doing so in a supposedly official capacity. That makes things vastly different. Same was the case in the Devyani Khobragade and Krittika Biswas cases where US “State Actor” in supposedly official capacity was involved besides off course the additional matter that these two cases involved individuals where matters of diplomatic immunity come into play.

Bottomline is that US does not deserve cover by even the remotest insinuation that GOI action, "clamour", has somehow been induced by the hysteria of Indian mobs. GOI action is reasoned, measured and legitimate in the face of repeated assaults by US State Actors targeting Indian Citizens.
Tuvaluan
BRFite

Post by Tuvaluan »

Apropos nothing, distinctly remember at least one american going missing in India after they showed up here as a tourist, maybe around 2011/2012. Am not aware of the specifics but do recall their family members tweeting for months on end about the missing person without any mention of that person from the US consular office. I suppose if you are an ordinary american, you are pretty much screwed if you end up getting lost in India -- do not know if that american was ever found. Sorry, don't recall details of the person like the name etc. Guess you have to be rich/influential if you want governments to actually work for you in such cases, and to the GoI's credit there have been multiple instances in the recent past where they successfully evacuated Indians without money or resources and stuck in places like Libya/Iraq/Syria back to India, and at no charge, IIRC.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

The US does extend vigorous support to its expats. Rightly so. At least they used to. I was envious, having to stand in line for routine paperwork in Dera NewYorkabad and Gadhi Washingtonian for minor things with triplicate copies, and seeing the US citizens waltz about everywhere internationally, supported, and without a care in the world.

Sad, if things have changed there for the worse.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

SwamyG wrote:A serious question. Do foreign governmento get involved when foreign tourists are attacked in India? What is the protocol?
SwamyG, of course, they do. Very vigorously too. Consul access and their involvement in such issues is part of the diplomat's job.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

No claim from me but certainly gratitude and thanks if GoI stands up for the underdog. In this case the PIO community is the underdog. Not too dissimilar to President Obama's portrayal of world majority but Indian minority as the underdog. But Indian minority is indistinguishable from Indian majority from outwardly appearance alone. So it is impossible to discriminate by skin color. One has to look for other markers which can always be simulated to become indistinguishable from the milieu.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

Tuvalvuan: all U.S. citizens are advised to register their itinerary with the nearest U.S. consulate in the country they are traveling to. Almost none do it but if anybody does, they can trace a missing person's whereabouts to some extent. If some are part of black ops/3 letter org operations, then of course shep will be disowned under every possible scenario.
Shreeman
BRF Oldie

Post by Shreeman »

matrimc wrote:Tuvalvuan: all U.S. citizens are advised to register their itinerary with the nearest U.S. consulate in the country they are traveling to. Almost none do it but if anybody does, they can trace a missing person's whereabouts to some extent. If some are part of black ops/3 letter org operations, then of course shep will be disowned under every possible scenario.
mc,

you have got it wrong. the consulates will work especially hard if you are part of an agency. Why do you think pakistsn keeps complaining about the 1024 consulates on afpak border. indians didnt invent that, you know.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

US Dept of State briefing, Friday, Feb 13:
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2015/02/237501.htm
MS. PSAKI: Sure, go ahead, Lalit. I mean go ahead, Goyal. Sorry. I’m looking at Lalit. Go ahead.

QUESTION: Two quick – thank you. Two quick questions, thank you. One, Madam, tomorrow will be the swearing-in ceremony for the landslide victory of a opposition leader in Delhi. How it’s going to affect the U.S.-India relations as far as – because Delhi will have two governments: at the central level, Prime Minister Modi; at the Delhi level, the Kejriwal. And if anybody’s going to attend this swearing-in ceremony from the U.S.?

MS. PSAKI: Well, Goyal, I’m to check and see if anyone on the ground is. Not that I’m aware of, but I will check. Beyond that, I’m not going to weigh in on politics in India. As you know, the Secretary has a great relationship, as does the President, with Prime Minister Modi and his entire cabinet, and we expect that will continue.

QUESTION: And --

MS. PSAKI: Go ahead.

QUESTION: And second, Madam, as far as Alabama case is concerned, it has gone beyond the families in India and the people of India. What – even in the government of ministry at the – at Delhi. My question is that people in India is asking that they thought police brutality is only in India because that’s what they feel, there is police brutality in India.

MS. PSAKI: Well, Goyal, I’m not sure if you saw this this morning, but the individual officer – and this is reported, so I’m just speaking to reports; I don’t have any separate confirmation, we don’t deal with that from here from the State Department – but that the individual officer has been fired, the local police chief spoke to it and gave a very strong statement. So I would certainly refer you to that.

QUESTION: So justice has been done. Thank you.
QUESTION: And then I have a few questions from South Asian countries. First one, is State Department sending any officials to Alabama to meet the victim along with Indian officials? I saw some reports in this. I just wanted to confirm with you.

MS. PSAKI: Well, I don’t believe there’s a role for the State Department here. We certainly wish Mr. Patel a full recovery from his injuries. Our thoughts are with his family. As I mentioned, this case is under investigation. The local police have spoken to the behavior of the police officer. I would point you to all of that.
QUESTION: Yes, it will be a good one. Have you seen the statement issued by the Indian home minster saying that India had designated ISIS as a terrorist organization? What’s --

MS. PSAKI: I had not. You know where we stand, so I’m happy to take a look at that. And if that’s the case --

QUESTION: But do you believe that India is late in declaring ISIS as a terrorist (inaudible)?

MS. PSAKI: I think we believe they are a terrorist organization. We welcome others who also believe they are.
Pakistan-related stuff on the STFUP thread.
krithivas
BRFite

Post by krithivas »

Black-minority NFL player's home burned down by arson in Alabama
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2364 ... =editorial
During the last speech of his India trip, Obama told an audience largely made up of students at a town hall meeting in India’s capital New Delhi, "In both of our countries, in all countries, upholding this fundamental freedom (of religion) is the responsibility of the government, but it’s also the responsibility of every person." - See more at: http://www.indiaamericatoday.com/articl ... TXAAv.dpuf
member_22733
BRF Oldie

Post by member_22733 »

I watched that Sureshbhai video to the end, I usually stopped right after they pin him down. Every one of those mofo cops should be in prison doing time locked in with the meanest, most violent and most sexually depraved prisoner room mate available.

The mofo cop committed an act with intent to cause grievous bodily injury. That is a class 1 felony assault. The mofo cop who looked on after that should be fired for not arresting the perp cop after he committed his crime. Finally once they realize that this man is grievously injured, they phucking LIFT him up as if they did not know what happened, his spine may very well have been injured more. That is prison time for reckless endangerment of a human being.

On top of all of that, once they call in the EMTs they start cleaning him up by picking off grass and dust from his shirt. Clearly trying to cover up. Prison time for destroying evidence in a crime scene.

Ofcourse, we know that nothing will happen and the cops would go free. The charge is a joke. Its his luck that this was all in the dashcam footage. If not, he would have been given a small stone in his hand and shot dead for trying to threaten the cop with that.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

SSridhar wrote:
SwamyG wrote:A serious question. Do foreign governmento get involved when foreign tourists are attacked in India? What is the protocol?
SwamyG, of course, they do. Very vigorously too. Consul access and their involvement in such issues is part of the diplomat's job.
Sridhar saar, thanks for the reply.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

SSridhar wrote:
Sridhar saar, thanks for the reply.
panduranghari
BRF Oldie

Post by panduranghari »

Cosmo_R wrote:"One intriguing question is how much an immigrant’s characteristics can lessen the threat to identity that some people feel. For instance, native-born people’s attitudes are less affected by skin tone or origin than by language, Hainmueller says.

“People may be less likely to develop an anti-immigrant attitude based on immutable qualities,” he says. “You can’t change your skin color, but you can learn English.”

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/je ... -attitudes
What are you suggesting? The old gent 'Mr Patel' should have taken a English course before visiting his Grandson in US?
vishvak
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by vishvak »

What is on the video is not a myth but a fact, regardless of totally absent understanding by friendly neighbour who merely boxed in entire reality into "black man walking in Alabama" kind of idea.

The old gent Mr Patel could be a hardworking citizen of India and a gentleman of the highest order. He could have been a mathematician or a scholar in his own field of interest. He could have a healthy lifestyle, tempered with wisdom of Hinduism. He must have bowed in reverence and traditions to many a God and many a Goddess. He could have known several languages & dialects. He could be patron of various traditions and festivities across many states in India. He could have himself lived rich cultural organic lifestyle. He could have traded in the stockmarket, invested in solar projects or could have a business of his own. He could be another well mannered, brilliant and kind chachaji from India who has been assaulted in USA. It is on video but there is no candle light vigils, no morchas/protests, no remembrance of any kind at the spot he was assaulted.

But secular press from USA and India, instead of finding out his personal traits, may just play the usual jarring tune of upper caste Hindoo and cover up all of the above. At the most, a few questions on what his family 'feels' about future course on a narrow subject alone is newsworthy. Looking at his picture in TFTA hospital care (which is quality no doubt), who can think that Indian generic medicine are sold all over the world, and appreciated by doctors all over the world. Why India's Generic Medicines Industry is So Important - and I was wondering if - after manufacturing of drugs as an industry happened - it is possible to systematically eat away all the credit coming back to India for manufacturing drugs and selling it cheap all over the world.

What is secularism after all, if people of India - living a rich cultural lifestyle already - can not be taught a lesson out of it as another black man walking in Alabama, the God's own country.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

From 2001 to 2003, I stayed around Birmingham, Alabama. I used to take my family for walking thru sidewalks and true to say no police encounter ever. But one day a dog attacked me for a second, I really don't know where the dog went after that. He didnt bit me but tried to scare me. He disappeared after that seems to be trained one

Also I used to walk to my work place thru the sidewalks too. But racism can be anywhere
rgosain
BRFite

Post by rgosain »

Hear that silence guys. That silence is the Berkeley-Haas crew who are conspicuous by their absence to issue even a tweet on the assault by state security goons upon an Indian citizen visiting the US.
Another point that is often overlooked is that the neighbour who made the call to the police, should and could be liable for racial harrasment charges, accessory to assault, and vicarious responsibility both in the civil and criminal courts.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

panduranghari wrote:
Cosmo_R wrote:"One intriguing question is how much an immigrant’s characteristics can lessen the threat to identity that some people feel. For instance, native-born people’s attitudes are less affected by skin tone or origin than by language, Hainmueller says.

http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/je ... -attitudes
What are you suggesting? The old gent 'Mr Patel' should have taken a English course before visiting his Grandson in US?
Adding a data point. I remember the same issue cropping up in Delhi during the 1950s. If you (even as a kid) did not speak Hindi, your were a 'Madrasi'. Same thing now in Delhi with respect to people from NE who may not speak Hindi.

In professional work environments, if certain staff members start conversing among themselves in Spanish, there is an immediate backlash (there are even HR strictures on that).

To sum up, not being able to speak the main language of a country subconsciously pegs one as either 'not smart' or weak and defenseless. Weakness is almost always provocative. That is the subtext of the article. It is point I would not have immediately fathomed. It is not my opinion but it is a data point I would now consider when looking at why the @@@%& the cop went berserk.
Kashi
BRF Oldie

Post by Kashi »

Cosmo_R wrote:In professional work environments, if certain staff members start conversing among themselves in Spanish, there is an immediate backlash (there are even HR strictures on that).

To sum up, not being able to speak the main language of a country subconsciously pegs one as either 'not smart' or weak and defenseless. Weakness is almost always provocative. That is the subtext of the article. It is point I would not have immediately fathomed. It is not my opinion but it is a data point I would now consider when looking at why the @@@%& the cop went berserk.
Except that the gentleman was not there professionally or as an immigrant. He was a tourist. Big difference.
Cosmo_R
BRF Oldie

Post by Cosmo_R »

Kashi wrote:
Cosmo_R wrote:In professional work environments, if certain staff members start conversing among themselves in Spanish, there is an immediate backlash (there are even HR strictures on that).

Except that the gentleman was not there professionally or as an immigrant. He was a tourist. Big difference.
What is the difference from the idiot racist cop's POV?
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

Cosmo_R wrote:What is the difference from the idiot racist cop's POV?
Then why are you so eager to add "a data point" ???
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

you can end up doing whatever,paint yourself white, the guy was racist and a sociopath.