Chinese president's visit. "Thaw or Cold War"?

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
James B
BRF Oldie

Re: Chinese president's visit. "Thaw or Cold War"?

Post by James B »

MoU signed for alternative route to Kailsash Mansarovar in Tibetan Autonomous Region. Yes Tibetan Autonomous Region are the exact words used during the joint declaration.

Now Indians can go to Kailash Mansarovar by Car.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

It is from India's Sikkim province.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

PM Raises Issue of Incursion with Chinese President - BusinessLine
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping today held talks during which the Indian side conveyed its concerns over Chinese incursions as the two sides discussed all “substantive issues” having a bearing on bilateral ties.

Modi and Xi held talks in a restricted format and then at delegation level during which the two leaders also focused on cooperation in key areas of trade and investment.

Modi, who hosted a private dinner for Xi in Ahmedabad after his arrival yesterday, raised the issue of Chinese incursions last night as well as today, official sources said.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Woah, some tough talk from Modi in the press conference in presence of Xi Jinxing. Raised the issues of border, LAC, VISA issue & Afghanistan apart from Trade, infrastructure, co-operation etc..
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Media non stop covered incursion issue above Modi meeting Jinoing since last 2 days, they want nothing to come out of this meeting, unlike Indo Japan meet where there was no bad blood/border issue
kmkraoind
BRF Oldie

Post by kmkraoind »

SSridhar wrote:I feel that Xi Jinping is putting a gun to Modi's head by allowing a large-scale intrusion of the PLA, of which he is the Supreme Commander, while being in India on a state visit. Though such things have happened before (just before AK Antony's visit to China in 2012 or before Li Keqiang's visit in 2013), the scale, the seriousness and the audacity to do so while the Chinese President is on Indian soil sends a very strong message to India and the fledgeling alliance in the offing with a nervous and hesitant India not being sure of whether to join it or not. Xi may well push India into the alliance.
Modi is too smart, he is playing some cards. He sent Prez to Vietnam when Xi is in India. India is openly talking about arming Vietnam with Brahmos, just before Xi landing in India. Even gave somewhat free hand to Tibetans for protest. Even there are talks about Ajit Doval's briefing of Modi just before press conference. Unlike Cong's regimes, this time Modi is dealing firmly with PRC.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

^^

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Statement made by PM Modi (from MEA)
Press Statement by Prime Minister during the visit of President Xi Jinping of China to India

September 18, 2014

President Xi Jinping, members of the media,

I am delighted to welcome President Xi Jinping to India. I am especially pleased to host him within months of the formation of my Government in Delhi.

I attach great importance and priority to our relations with China. We are two ancient civilizations with a long history of engagement. China is our largest neighour, and India's neighbourhood occupies a special place in my national development plans and foreign policy. Today, we are the world's two most populous countries and its two largest emerging economies. We are both undergoing economic transformation on an unprecedented scale and speed.

Therefore, a climate of mutual trust and confidence; respect for each other's sensitivities and concerns; and, peace and stability in our relations and along our borders are essential for us to realize the enormous potential in our relations.

If we achieve that, we can reinforce each other's economic growth. We can contribute to peace, stability and prosperity in our region. And, we can give new direction and energy to the global economy.

Over the two days in Ahmedabad and Delhi, we had opportunities to discuss the full range of issues in our relationship, including political and security issues, economic relations and people-to-people contacts. We have decided to deepen our engagement at all levels and hold regular summit level meetings.

We agreed that our economic relations do not do justice to our potential. I expressed concern at the slowdown in trade and the worsening trade imbalance. I sought his partnership in improving market access and investment opportunities for Indian companies in China. President Xi assured me of his commitment to take concrete steps to address our concerns.

I have invited Chinese investments in India's infrastructure and manufacturing sectors and spoke about our new policies and administrative steps in this area.

I am pleased with the agreements on two Chinese industrial parks in India and a commitment to realize about 20 billion U.S. dollars of Chinese investments in the next five years. This opens a new chapter in our economic relations. We have also agreed on specific steps to enhance cooperation in upgrading India's railways sector. We will begin the process of discussions on civil nuclear energy cooperation that will bolster our broader cooperation on energy security.

I welcome our five year economic and trade development plan as an important new step to pursue higher ambitions in our economic relations.

Our agreements and announcements today demonstrate that people-to-people contacts, culture, tourism and art are central to our efforts to strengthen our partnership.

On behalf of the people of India, I thank President Xi for opening a new route through Nathu La to Kailash Mansarovar. This will be in addition to the existing route through Uttarakhand. The new route offers many benefits. It makes Kailash Mansarovar accessible by a motorable road, which is especially beneficial to the older pilgrims. It offers a safer alternative in the rainy season, makes the pilgrimage shorter in duration, and will enable a much higher number of pilgrims to go there.

As we discussed how to strengthen cooperation, we have also exchanged views on outstanding differences in our relationship in a spirit of candour and friendship.

I raised our serious concern over repeated incidents along the border. We agreed that peace and tranquility in the border region constitutes an essential foundation for mutual trust and confidence and for realizing the full potential of our relationship. This is an important understanding, which should be strictly observed. While our border related agreements and confidence building measures have worked well, I also suggested that clarification of Line of Actual Control would greatly contribute to our efforts to maintain peace and tranquility and requested President Xi to resume the stalled process of clarifying the LAC. We should also seek an early settlement of the boundary question.

Similarly, we discussed India's concerns relating to China's visa policy and Trans Border Rivers. I am confident that their early resolution would take mutual trust to a new level.

We had a productive discussion on regional and international developments and agreed to strengthen our strategic dialogue on these issues. We both understand that India and China have a shared interest in a peaceful and stable region, including peace, stability and prosperity Afghanistan. We will build closer cooperation on the shared challenges of terrorism and extremism. We also agreed to cooperate on our many shared interests at the global level.

We discussed regional connectivity and the proposal for the Bangladesh, China, India and Myanmar Economic Corridor. Located at the crossroads of Asia, India believes that reconnecting Asia is important for its collective prosperity. I also believe that our efforts to rebuild physical connectivity in the region would also require a peaceful, stable and cooperative environment.

In conclusion, I would like to say that this is a historic opportunity for the relationship between India and China, filled with vast possibilities. We can start a new era in our relations. If we are sensitive to our opportunities and challenges, then I am confident that we will fulfill our responsibility to make it a great success.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

So, the statement is silent about MSR.

On the issue of trade, during his visit last year, Li Keqiang promised to improve market access for Indian companies in IT & pharma sectors. Nothing happened. Xi's promise would also end up similarly as China wants to have an extremely favourable trade balance with every country it trades with.
johneeG
BRF Oldie

Post by johneeG »

Marten wrote:
Jhujar : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxwnq-nCAAAZR8J.jpg . Check the lions roaming around Modi, Xi and Hi wife.

Disha: Lioness with her cubs and Xi is clearly scared. Modi is not even bothered! And has got full attention of Mrs. Xi and the translator is wondering when to run and where to run. This is a real bold move, imagine the sheer chutzpah of Modi to his team - hey let us show Xi the Lions of Gujarat ... in our garden ... from our backyard!

menon s: those are clay models, pls hold your imagination.
They're not real. Made from Resin, probably sourced from China.
That explains the fear on xi's face ... poisoned toys from china. :mrgreen:
member_20317
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20317 »

Saala pura visit ka mazak ban kar rah gaya.
Dhokla khao
andar aao
tring-tring chindu ko batao hum andar aa gaye
tring-tring India Today ko batao wo bahar chale gaye
dekho-dekho tiger aa gaya
fir andar aao fir bahar jao
ab sab ghar jao - atithi devo bhav.
khakhra fafda chakli

See even the great patriot Ram Gopal Yadav demands action - "We demand that Prime Minister Modi should respond (to Chinese aggression) in the same language. Till the time, we do not use force, aggressions will continue," http://www.firstpost.com/politics/samaj ... 18633.html

-------Arvind Kejriwal is the only one who has not advised anything till now.

Even more idiotic is this statement from some really really wise person in firstpost - "The unmistakable signal that Beijing is sending to India through these well-choreographed border incursions is that the boundary dispute is an unfinished agenda which better be resolved as soon as possible. It is also a signal to India that the Sino-Indian boundary dispute is not going to be resolved any time soon even though the two sides are swearing to take their economic /business/investment relationship to a new high." http://www.firstpost.com/world/xi-in-gu ... 17711.html

--------WT_ was the signaled if it is both of what is said.

Prez Xi should hire somebody from the NaMo media team to handle all his signalling unless off course he wants to keep signalling furiously without being understood.
member_19686
BRFite

Post by member_19686 »

nageshks wrote:Thanks for that background and videos of inclinations of younger folk, Surasena-ji. I suspect my own views maybe a bit biased in favour of overestimating the `blue star on Tiananmen' types, considering that most of my Taiwanese colleagues here are of the type (older generation, whose ancestors migrated to Taiwan in 50s, with lots of nostalgia for republican China).
AFAIK the migrants and their descendants only make up 16% of Taiwan but they have had an undue influence thanks to Chiang's invasion, massacre of Taiwanese (228 massacre) and the subsequent white terror period. But the majority of Taiwanese have been wary of PRC & the one China rhetoric promoted by the chicoms & KMT.

I think we can do much to improve commercial relations even with KMT in power but military cooperation requires KMT to lose IMO as I consider them untrustworthy.

Let's not forget too that the Dalai Lama had a good reception from the people when he visited Taiwan under DPP, something inconceivable with the brainwashed crowd in PRC. Japan has also signed a fisheries agreement around Senkaku waters with Taiwan, something they would never do with PRC or SK in territorial disputes.
Taiwanese fighter jets land on highway in ‘China attack’ war games

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/ ... -war-games
History and the Possibility of Taiwan-Japan Relations
Many Taiwanese have a surprisingly positive take on Japan’s colonial legacy, with memories that remain salient today.

http://thediplomat.com/2014/09/history- ... relations/
If you are on twitter follow for Taiwan related news:

https://twitter.com/FormosaNation
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

Probably the most challenging diplomacy for Modi-ji and his just now settled in cabinet. Definitely dwarfs the yet to happen Modi-Obama meeting in terms of dexterity and nerve required to handle it. Xi really upped the ante by visited Maldives and SL (unfortunately for him Pak visit had to be cancelled due to Dimwit and TuQTuQ) to further strengthen string of pearls strategy and orchestrating an increasingly escalating in-your-face incursions in LoC while the meet was going on. At the same time by having their ambassador tout 100B dollars in potential investment even before the visit were to take place, Xi was signalling a clear carrot and stick policy even though it has tones of petty rudeness. Sometime I wonder whether the Chinese are even capable of conducting diplomacy in a subtle way or if all of the rudeness was deliberate?

Modi handled it very well by orchestrating trip of President to Vietnam, announcing potential sales and lines of credit to Vietnam, blocking Chinese moves to open an embassy in Bhutan, not going over-board in receiving Mr. Xi at the hotel instead of at the tarmac. In addition, by cautiously allowing Tibetan protests and using NSA for deliberations and as emissary instead of MEA or Commerce minister, Modi has clearly communicated where his priorities lie. At the same time by not committing to any formal alliance against China, Modi has kept the option open for beneficial bilateral relations to evolve with mutual trust.

To sum up, the counter message that Modi seems to have sent is that India and China are important adults. Neither carrots nor sticks will work. We need to work on basis of mutual respect and trust as equals. I am not going to be cowed down by petty threatening tactics or can be bought with one sided trade investments.

I venture to say that the message Modi-ji has sent out was not along expectations by Chinese who were used to seeing Indian PMs inherently afraid of taking China head on. The 100B touted just days earlier suddenly reduced to 20B. The next several months are key to watch how Indo-China relationships are going to take shape under Modi, especially after Modi-Obama summit.

PS: BTW, did Xi offer any statement regarding J&K flood? Want to see the wordings Chinese used to talk about PoK and Indian Kashmir in that statement.
Last edited by schinnas on 18 Sep 2014 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
abhik
BRF Oldie

Post by abhik »

Jhujar wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxwnq-nCAAAZR8J.jpg:large
Check the lions roaming around Modi, Xi and Hi wife.
Plastic onlee, no?
manjgu
BRF Oldie

Post by manjgu »

and our right honorable Ajai Shukla is saying there is some discord between PLA and the chinese president !! and PLA is trying to needle the president !!. made the chinese president look like Nawaz Sharif? KC Singh was very forthright that there is no fissure between PLA / politcal class.
vivek.rao
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek.rao »

schinnas wrote:Probably the most challenging diplomacy for Modi-ji and his just now settled in cabinet. Definitely dwarfs the yet to happen Modi-Obama meeting in terms of dexterity and nerve required to handle it. Xi really upped the ante by visited Maldives and SL (unfortunately for him Pak visit had to be cancelled due to Dimwit and TuQTuQ) to further strengthen string of pearls strategy and orchestrating an increasingly escalating in-your-face incursions in LoC while the meet was going on. At the same time by having their ambassador tout 100B dollars in potential investment even before the visit were to take place, Xi was signalling a clear carrot and stick policy even though it has tones of petty rudeness. Sometime I wonder whether the Chinese are even capable of conducting diplomacy in a subtle way or if all of the rudeness was deliberate?

Modi handled it very well by orchestrating trip of President to Vietnam, announcing potential sales and lines of credit to Vietnam, blocking Chinese moves to open an embassy in Bhutan, not going over-board in receiving Mr. Xi at the hotel instead of at the tarmac. In addition, by cautiously allowing Tibetan protests and using NSA for deliberations and as emissary instead of MEA or Commerce minister, Modi has clearly communicated where his priorities lie. At the same time by not committing to any formal alliance against China, Modi has kept the option open for beneficial bilateral relations to evolve with mutual trust.

To sum up, the counter message that Modi seems to have sent is that India and China are important adults. Neither carrots nor sticks will work. We need to work on basis of mutual respect and trust as equals. I am not going to be cowed down by petty threatening tactics or can be bought with one sided trade investments.

I venture to say that the message Modi-ji has sent out was not along expectations by Chinese who were used to seeing Indian PMs inherently afraid of taking China head on. The 100B touted just days earlier suddenly reduced to 20B. The next several months are key to watch how Indo-China relationships are going to take shape under Modi, especially after Modi-Obama summit.

PS: BTW, did Xi offer any statement regarding J&K flood? Want to see the wordings Chinese used to talk about PoK and Indian Kashmir in that statement.
By sending 3 more battalions to the border and force them to go back, Modi simply sent a message "We are not backing down"
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

vivek.rao wrote: By sending 3 more battalions to the border and force them to go back, Modi simply sent a message "We are not backing down"
Definitely. No question that he showed spine while still conducting diplomacy and walk-in-the-parks as if with a long lost friend! The overall message though is probably something like this: It is that we are open to doing business as equals based on a foundation of trust and respect. If we are pushed, we are ready to push back.

An equally (or much stronger depending on your perspective) strong signal was forgoing the 80BB dollars in this process to send a tough message. Neither carrot nor stick.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

manjgu wrote:and our right honorable Ajai Shukla is saying there is some discord between PLA and the chinese president !! and PLA is trying to needle the president !!. made the chinese president look like Nawaz Sharif? KC Singh was very forthright that there is no fissure between PLA / politcal class.
This is true. There's a power struggle going on in the Chinese Politburo. Xi is taking on the PLA and the famous Shanghai Clique of the Mao era: Xi Jinping's Next Tiger Hunt. It's possible PLA is acting against political order. Does that mean Xi is a nice guy ? No. Does that mean we can undermine him ? Yes. There's nothing the Chinese dislike more than their authority and disunity being mocked by an outsider. They always attempt to retain a face of harmony, keeping the bickering quietly behind scenes. Quoting article:
The take-down of Zhou Yongkang, the highest-ranking Party leader ever to be investigated for corruption, is a natural high-water mark for the anti-corruption campaign. For months, many of the high-profile leaders and executives ensnared in the probes have been stepping stones on the way to an investigation of Zhou himself. Still, the CCP is adamant that this is not the end of the campaign. With this ultimate “tiger” now in the bag, what will Xi do for an encore?

There are already some indications. For one thing, Xi Jinping is taking advantage of the 87th anniversary of the establishment of the People’s Liberation Army to highlight the importance of weeding out corruption in the military. The high-profile take-down of former Politburo member and PLA general Xu Caihou may have just been the early stages of an anti-corruption drive focused on the military. During a visit with troops in Fujian, Xinhua reports, Xi “pledged a harsh strike against military corruption.”
The new focus on Shanghai may indicate that Xi Jinping has his sights set on an even higher target than Zhou Yongkang: former president Jiang Zemin. Jiang, though he officially stepped down from the Politburo Standing Committee in 2002, has remained incredibly influential behind the scenes. In fact, Jiang appears to have been especially involved in the selection of the current Polituburo Standing Committee — five of the seven current members have ties to Jiang’s faction. And Jiang, whose main power base began in Shanghai, will forever be associated with the city. Financial Times suggests that Xi Jinping may be attempting to remove the last vestiges of the retired leader’s influence on the CCP. The effort may already be underway — Xu Caihou, the highest-ranking military official to ever be purged from the CCP, had ties to Jiang. Zhou Yongkang himself is also considered an Jiang ally.
Xi taking on Jiang Zemin himself is the explosive stuff. Jiang has continued to pull strings behind the scene, and had influence Hu Jintao in the past. Xi clearly wants to take up control himself.

Modi's handling of the whole trip so far has been exemplary, including the strong response to the 'lets see how strong you are' Ladakh incursions. How long we have waited for an Indian leader with such willingness and ability to respond.
schinnas
BRFite

Post by schinnas »

It would be wishful thinking to consider that state of affairs in China might be as bad as Pukiland. While power struggles might be there, there is little merit to the argument that PLA would engineer a high profile intrusion with all the media limelight on the day their premier is on a state visit. Even if we agree to the argument of PLA wanting to publicly undermine Xi, there are different ways of doing it than what Ajay Shulka seems to imagine. It is highly unlikely that these incursions happened without approval of Xi.

Either Ajay Shukla is totally incorrect in reading China or he is doing some PsyOps.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

I don't think it is wishful thinking at all. Xi's position is nowhere near as fragile as the average TSP leader, but the PLA, engorged on 2 decades of corruption and official spending, is a powerful faction that every Chinese leader attempts to control. The last person to truly have the PLA under his thumb was Deng Xiaoping. Even Jiang did not fully control them, but was happy to let them act on the border if it suited their larger policy goals. It's the same with Xi. Hu Jintao was weaker than either Jiang Zemin (who influenced Hu behind the scenes) or Xi, who seeks to supplant Jiang.
Supratik
BRF Oldie

Post by Supratik »

Also this has happened in the past with high profile visits. Meanwhile IBN reporting sources saying there have been around 400 incursions by India in response over the last one year. So the IA has been responding in their own way.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

It happens on a constant basis, both because the Chinese political leadership authorizes it, *and* because the Chinese leadership cannot control the PLA fully. It's their standard template approach - "probe and see how much resistance we face. If none, move forward. If strong resistance, apologize, smile and then start trying elsewhere". They are not status quoist - they have a constant interest in using the initiative in this manner. The response is not just defense, but probing them in turn, and forcing them to respond (something they don't really like doing).
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Marten wrote:
Jhujar : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxwnq-nCAAAZR8J.jpg . Check the lions roaming around Modi, Xi and Hi wife.

Disha: Lioness with her cubs and Xi is clearly scared. Modi is not even bothered! And has got full attention of Mrs. Xi and the translator is wondering when to run and where to run. This is a real bold move, imagine the sheer chutzpah of Modi to his team - hey let us show Xi the Lions of Gujarat ... in our garden ... from our backyard!

menon s: those are clay models, pls hold your imagination.
They're not real. Made from Resin, probably sourced from China.
Is that why Xi is scared? In another fotu, he was shown holding his wife's purse. Shows who is the real power!
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Suraj wrote:I don't think it is wishful thinking at all. Xi's position is nowhere near as fragile as the average TSP leader, but the PLA, engorged on 2 decades of corruption and official spending, is a powerful faction that every Chinese leader attempts to control. The last person to truly have the PLA under his thumb was Deng Xiaoping. Even Jiang did not fully control them, but was happy to let them act on the border if it suited their larger policy goals. It's the same with Xi. Hu Jintao was weaker than either Jiang Zemin (who influenced Hu behind the scenes) or Xi, who seeks to supplant Jiang.
Looks like China is heading for collapse a.l.a Soviet Union except at a slower pace. Multiple centrifugal and centripetal political forces at play.

In one go (Xi's visit to India)., China has been shown its place. That they

1. Are the bad bullies in Asia
2. They cannot get away with bad behaviour
3. The game they play can be played more gracefully *and*
4. Not all are bakis. Only bakis are bakis who sing paens of taller (longer) and deeper friendsheep.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

Something is definitely wrong on the Chinese side... it's one thing to say they don't care, they want to provoke while the President of the country is visiting, etc. Quite another to go to the extent of actually risking an incident. There seems to be some sort of flux in the leadership. How serious it is remains to be seen, but most likely it will be sorted out without too much public washing of dirty linen... curious though, shows very little regard for the president. Xi gets nothing from this...

Obviously, we had nothing to do with this in that we are in reactive mode.
pankajs
BRF Oldie

Post by pankajs »

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/in ... nk/1290534

India's stand on border getting tougher: Chinese thinktank
"New Delhi keeps making efforts in solving the border issue through negotiations. But its stance is getting tougher, and it is brewing new strategic adjustments," said an article by Qian Feng, a counsellor of Chinese Association for South Asian Studies in state-run Global Times online.

"Superficially, New Delhi is showing a tougher attitude. For instance, Modi himself once said 'No power on Earth can take away even an inch from India.' And more recently, India's foreign minister made a public statement about 'one India.'

"It seems a natural conclusion that the Modi administration is tending to be tougher on border talks," it said.

But in fact, such toughness should be understood within the context of India's domestic political ecology of complex party wrangles. This decides that such toughness, in many occasions, is more symbolic, it said.

"At the current stage, India and China actually have no alternative. They have to continue negotiations over the border issue, and jointly protect peace in the border regions before the issue is ultimately addressed in a peaceful manner," the write-up said.

"The most controversial zone between China and India contains an eastern part and a western part. The eastern part is Indian-controlled. China dominates the western part, where frequent confrontations between the two armies are witnessed," it said.

"Why did India only bring up the eastern part (Arunachal Pradesh) when talking about 'one India' and not mention the western part at all? Does this mean the Modi administration is now considering more strategic adjustments on this issue? This deserves our close attention," it asked.
Shanmukh
BRF Oldie

Post by Shanmukh »

Surasena wrote: If you are on twitter follow for Taiwan related news:

https://twitter.com/FormosaNation
Thanks, Surasena-ji, for the info about the Taiwanese news. Followed.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Before we go off the board., let me remind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_ ... c_of_China

The President of the People's Republic of China (PRC) is the titular head of state of China. The presidency is a largely ceremonial office, with limited powers, though the President typically holds additional offices simultaneously and is the paramount leader of the country[a] It is classified as a state organ rather than an administrative post.[2]

The office was first established in the PRC Constitution of 1954. It was abolished under the Constitution of 1975, then reinstated in the Constitution of 1982, but with reduced powers. The official PRC translation of the title was originally 'State Chairman'; after 1982, it was changed to 'President'. This is the translation now used in most English-language news reports.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

Xi Jinping is not merely the titular president. He is also the Paramount Leader - he is President, the General Secretary of the Communist Party of China and the Chairman of the Central Military Commission. Unlike Hu Jintao, who preferred a 'first among equals' standing within the Politburo Standing Committee, Xi has no such egalitarian interests, and kicked Zhou Yongkang out of the PSC to solidify his power against the Shanghai Clique. In terms of absolute power I rate recent paramount leaders in the following order: Deng > Jiang > Xi > Hu . Xi is trying to become more powerful than Jiang, by taking on the latter's Shanghai power base directly.

In Ladakh, the Chinese back down:
China ends standoff in Ladakh's Chumar sector, PLA troops return
India and China have finally ended their standoff today in the Chumar area in Northeast Ladakh although Chinese troops were earlier reported to have stepped up their presence in the wee hours this morning, camping at three places in the Indian territory and refusing to vacate.

According to a NDTV report, the standoff has cooled down and both sides have backed off.

Official sources said during the standoff helicopters regularly air dropped food packets for the Chinese People's Liberation Army(PLA) personnel numbering around 600 at the three areas in Chumar, 300 km east of Leh.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Beijing views Mr Modi as a strong leader who can deliver.

An early outreach to Mr Modi was, therefore, seen as essential in making sure that Delhi does not gravitate rapidly to an emerging anti-China coalition in the larger Indo-Pacific as the US fashions its strategic rebalance to the region.

China wants to prevent a stronger US Asian Pivot

Is it possible?
Last edited by svinayak on 19 Sep 2014 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

China has many weaknesses internally. It was not one nation in the history and people from five main regions did fought quite a lot. India should it choose to support Uighurs and tibet can inflict considerable harm to Chinese in the process. But more than that there are internal struggles going on in China for power which will eventually lead to civil war like situation. More and more people will look out for democratic aspirations and eventually China will go Russian way.
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

ashish raval wrote:China has many weaknesses internally. It was not one nation in the history and people from five main regions did fought quite a lot. India should it choose to support Uighurs and tibet can inflict considerable harm to Chinese in the process. But more than that there are internal struggles going on in China for power which will eventually lead to civil war like situation. More and more people will look out for democratic aspirations and eventually China will go Russian way.
I read in an Chinease strategy document;
Chinas economic power is growing and with it political power. Chinese strategists think it is only a matter of time, before it becomes the most powerful nation on earth. India is the only potential party spoiler, but chinease belief their people are of somewhat superior ability.

So Chinease strategy is to keep the disputes alive, but in a sutle mode, so that it does not harm the economic development. It will settle the disputes once they become more powerful.

Another strategy is to maintan a conflict, so that people become more nationalistic. This can be helpfull for Communist party, if the economy slows down, as they can simply escalate the problems and turn focus away from the economy. As we all know, China is heading for a very very hard economic landing.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

Rishirishi wrote:
So Chinease strategy is to keep the disputes alive, but in a sutle mode, so that it does not harm the economic development. It will settle the disputes once they become more powerful.
Do they still want money and economic development

Modi landslide electoral victory in May was viewed by some in Beijing as a harbinger of better times, with Mr Modi being described as India's "Nixon" who will take Sino-Indian ties to new heights.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

China to open doors wider for Indian goods - BusinessLine

India and China today agreed to work on improving the skewed bilateral trade relations and sort out the contentious border issue, which has often soured relations between the two countries.

As part of the trade balancing initiative, Chinese President Xi Jinping, who is on a three-day visit to India, announced on Thursday that China will continue to take active steps to give more market access to products from India, including pharmaceutical and farm goods. Further, he also committed investments of $20 billion over five years.
The Chinese President termed the boundary question, “an issue left from history… In the many years the two sides have made steady and positive progress in their boundary negotiations.”

Modi said that India and China will begin discussions on civil nuclear energy cooperation that will bolster a broader cooperation on energy security.
The two sides agreed to cooperate in the Railways sector with Xi saying that the two leaders agreed to increase the speed on the existing rail section from Chennai to Mysore via Bangalore{I now worry for the safety of the section that I travel frequently}. “We also agreed to cooperate on training in heavy haulage transportation and exploring cooperation in the redevelopment of stations as also in the area of high-speed railway,” said Xi.
Today’s meeting at Hyderabad House was marred by Tibetan protestors breaking the police barricade and reaching the building’s outer perimeter. But they were shepherded away by the police.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Pull back your troops who have entered Ladakh, Modi tells Xi - Sachin Parashar, ToI
The Chinese president came back with a response on Thursday when he told Modi that he had "noted'' India's concerns and that the incidents in Ladakh may be a fallout of the non-demarcated border.

Sources said Modi took up the border issue strongly because the understanding in the government was that the incidents at Chumar could not have taken place without the concurrence of the top Chinese leadership. {Correct assessment. This is orchestrated from Xi downwards}

In fact, even as vigorous diplomacy continued, the Army had ensured enough presence in the region to outnumber the Chinese troops. Sources said more Indian troops were ready to move into the region where civilians formed a human wall to prevent the Chinese from moving into what India claims to be its territory.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Post by svinayak »

SSridhar wrote:
The two sides agreed to cooperate in the Railways sector with Xi saying that the two leaders agreed to increase the speed on the existing rail section from Chennai to Mysore via Bangalore{I now worry for the safety of the section that I travel frequently}. “
I will never travel in the train anymore
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

China President Xi's India Visit: Stronger China not a threat to anyone, says Xi Jinping - ET
A stronger China is not a threat to any country, Chinese President Xi Jinping today said and stressed on a "fair, reasonable and mutually acceptable" solution to the vexed boundary issue at an early date through peaceful talks.

Xi, who is here[New Delhi] on a state visit, said while neighbours may have problems, one should not focus on just the differences.

"Many Indian friends take great interest in China's development and wish China even bigger progress," he said adding the country has made remarkable achievements in economic and social spheres.

He said "the world has benefited from China's development. However, we have also taken note (the view) of some that a stronger China is bound to follow the beaten path to seek hegemony and poses so-called threat to other countries.

"I wish to make it clear that China will be firmly committed to the path of peaceful development," he said addressing an event organise dby the think-tank Indian Council of World Affairs here.

Stressing that peace is paramount, he said even in ancient time, China had come to the conclusion that a war-like state, however big it may be, will eventually perish.

Talking about the need to strengthen China's ties with India, Xi said he believes South Asia will become a "new pole of growth" in Asia and beyond.

"I am convinced that South Asia, a sub continent that holds infinite potential, will become a new pole of growth in Asia and beyond. A South Asia that enjoys peace, stability and prosperity serves the interest of the countries and people in the region and of China as well," he said.

His address, laced with references of Indian thinkers and poets, stressed on the point that China wants to live in harmony with all countries in the region.
Words are cheap Pres. Xi. In fact, Li Keqiang expressed similar sentiments when he visited India last year. But, the situation has in fact worsened.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Arnab was whipping sentiments against China. Handiwork of Maasa via Times Now?
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

Never believe what the Chinese say,watch what they do.Had the Chinese been genuine in a "peace" with India,there would've been no confrontation on the border.I would advise Mr.Modi to send immediately after the Chinese sh*tworm returns,to send a high level delegation to Vietnam and Taiwan,ramp up Indo-Vietnamese defence and nuclear cooperation and stay firmly dug in on the border.I now believe that an Indo-China military clash should be envisaged as not "if" it will happen but "when" it will happen. While the major confrontation will be in the Himalayas,the IN must sink and destroy as much Chinese shipping in the IOR to show the littoral nations that China cannot interfere in India's backyard.A very strong diplomatic and military profile must now be made within the IOR as well,warning in subtle and none too subtle potential Chinese bumchums like Sri Lanka and the Maldives (who need a seashell up their nether end) who outrageously booted out GMR thanks to Surrender Singh and his Yanqui qusilings,that China is thousands of miles away while India is their immediate and close neighbour and not to allow any Chinese military activity on their territory.

Unfortunately,we now have to prepare contingency military action in the future in both Sri Lanka and the Maldives.I wrote about 2 years ago about Chinese infiltration into Mauritius too. China is using its soft power,aid,development,tourists,to infiltrate and by stealth absorb smaller nations into its military fold.
The first shadow moves in the coming confrontation have already been made..by China.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

PM Talks Tough on Ladakh Incursion - Suhasini Haider, The Hindu
India and China signed 13 agreements here on Thursday as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping called for speeding up the boundary resolution process.

India raised concerns over the standoff at the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh “and repeated incidents” along the border.

A Defence Ministry source said soldiers had formed a “human wall” to deal with the ongoing face-off. In Beijing, however, a Foreign Ministry official said the situation had been “effectively controlled” and “managed.”

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said during his regular briefing on Thursday that the incident along the border “has been effectively controlled with immediate effect.”

“China hopes to continue to work with the Indian side to safeguard peace and tranquillity in the border area and solve the border issue through consultation and dialogue.”