Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Re: Phone, Tablet and Gizmo Thread #0x02

Post by Vayutuvan »

negi wrote:On related front for past couple of years I have been reading about folks at IBM research in NY working on new ways to reduce the size of the transistors and iirc a few days back they had reported significant breakthrough in that area, however it is hard to tell if it will make it to the field.
Are you referring to transistors from nano-tubes? It was reported that according to IBM they are 5-10 years away which, as you know, is an eternity in this field.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

vina wrote:Yawn.. Phruit looking to dump intel and put own chips on the mac

All of course in the pursuit of "Apple’s push to make products thinner and smaller without sacrificing performance.". So Phruit co's aim to sell brushed sheets of aluminium while other sell bricks go on.

As goes Phruit, so does Mickey in future ? Intel seems to be the pansy. Intel ka kya hoga?

Well...If Windoze 8, 9,..., n+1 can run on mobile processors, there is no reason why iOS/OS X can't run on a desktop. However, it will look and work very differently from today.
It appears Intel can't squeeze any more performance out of the architecture it has today.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

Eh what? Intel has steadily been delivering 10% performance increases using its tick tock methodology for the past 5 years. And with Has well the trend is expected to continue with massive gains in power budgets. In terms of performance ARM is nowhere near Intel.

Intel still maintains a full process node advantage over its nearest rival.... The day of ARM based desktops and laptops is still in the future....
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

rajkumar wrote:
Prasad wrote:8X is the Windows 8 version of the HTC 8 phone.
Stay away from HTC!!. I had the desire and the battery life was bad, even when I wasn't using it it would drain to zero within 4 hours.
I do have HTC Inspire 4G. works beautifully well. charge it once in 48-72 hours normally. yes if I use wif fi heavily and other apps it will drain in 24 hours.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

I really want to get the 920. I tried using the wife's S3 and I hate the rounded corners on such a big phone. Constantly keeps sliding off when i try to place it into the crook of my palm while using it one handed. Would love to use something thats harder edged like the 920. But, without native apps for google's various services, I will be hard pressed to use it the way I want to. Guess I'll just have to stick to my old brick phone for a while longer. The search continues. Come on Nokia. Please make an android phone with the same 920 body. please..
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

^^^

Come to think of it, why has Nokia not launched a droid phone till date? While others are on a dual track with both Win and Droid.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

why? what is wrong with win 8?
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

No, I am just wondering as a risk manager. When the future is uncertain, why not hedge your bets, and create a backup strategy, usin Droid.

As I understand, Nokia decided to the shift to win some time in 2009. At that time both droid and WIN were untested. Why focus on Win alone and launch the product in late 2010.

Or were they thinking in terms of Symbion as the backup plan.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

Pratyush wrote:As I understand, Nokia decided to the shift to win some time in 2009. At that time both droid and WIN were untested. Why focus on Win alone and launch the product in late 2010.
Direct orders from high-command. Interesting thing is that the previous job of CEO Stephen Elop (the guy who pushed for the change from Symbian to Win 7) was at Microsoft. Critics can have a field day with that one.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

nokia signed an exclusive contract with microsoft. microsoft in return paid nokia big bucks as platform support payments. Nokia excuse for doing that was that they were afraid that hardwere would get commoditized if they went with android.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

SaiK wrote:why? what is wrong with win 8?
Because Windoze 9 will be available in about a year!
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Mort Walker wrote:
SaiK wrote:why? what is wrong with win 8?
Because Windoze 9 will be available in about a year!
When it is available, they will have to offer OTA updates for Win 8 phones and tablets like iOS and Android. Customers will be mightily pissed otherwise.
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

From /. a follow-up to vina ji's post on Apple moving off of Intel for their desktops...

Apple Considering Switch Away From Intel For Macs

There are some interesting comments on desktop usage and why it may not fly due to anemic performance from ARM. Let us see if Apple is going to re-design the ARM core.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

A more important news is that AMD will make opteron chips based on ARM.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

apple is a danger to all.
ask adam and eve. :(( :((
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

I understand Adam. which co. is eve?
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

matrimc wrote:I understand Adam. which co. is eve?
aiyoo I talked about the real "adam and eve" of mythology. :((
Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

:) I did discount that possibility.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I thought dell was already offering a small server using ARM chips?
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 7#p1361517
Let’s get to the other American idol: Steve Jobs. In his Second Coming, he got the Apple board to grant him options (nothing wrong with that). He, however, conspired with the board to backdate the options, by forging documents that showed the options had been granted much before they actually were (in order to make the options go back to being in-the-money). This is as clear a case of forgery and fraud as can be, and for this, Jobs should have been behind bars. But the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) – after investigating the matter – said it was satisfied that Jobs did this unknowingly.
mahdi the con man would have been in jail but escaped.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

Eh? Me neither, not on MSDN, not on Technet. It's not even on the radar AFAIK.
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Pratyush wrote:^^^

Come to think of it, why has Nokia not launched a droid phone till date? While others are on a dual track with both Win and Droid.
Pratyush wrote:No, I am just wondering as a risk manager. When the future is uncertain, why not hedge your bets, and create a backup strategy, usin Droid.

As I understand, Nokia decided to the shift to win some time in 2009. At that time both droid and WIN were untested. Why focus on Win alone and launch the product in late 2010.

Or were they thinking in terms of Symbion as the backup plan.
ArmenT wrote:
Pratyush wrote:As I understand, Nokia decided to the shift to win some time in 2009. At that time both droid and WIN were untested. Why focus on Win alone and launch the product in late 2010.
Direct orders from high-command. Interesting thing is that the previous job of CEO Stephen Elop (the guy who pushed for the change from Symbian to Win 7) was at Microsoft. Critics can have a field day with that one.
Anujan wrote:nokia signed an exclusive contract with microsoft. microsoft in return paid nokia big bucks as platform support payments. Nokia excuse for doing that was that they were afraid that hardwere would get commoditized if they went with android.
Reason: Microsoft gives USD 80 for every Windows Phone sold by Nokia, and licenses Mapping data for Bing/Windows/Windows Phone and others who sell Windows Phones. And no, HTC and Samsung don't get that.. i guess they get to pay less royalty for selling WPs. (compared to say LG).

Considering that most companies that sell Android Phones are not able to make much profit except for Samsung(which manages to do that thanks to its ability to use its own batteries/display/CPU/ram/storage etc) and now they will have to compete with likes of Amazon who sell at no profit.. and even Google's Nexus.. it makes sense to deal with WP only.

Mort Walker wrote:Because Windoze 9 will be available in about a year!
Like Android 5, ios 7, ubuntu 13.04 ?
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

anmol wrote: Considering that most companies that sell Android Phones are not able to make much profit except for Samsung(which manages to do that thanks to its ability to use its own batteries/display/CPU/ram/storage etc) and now they will have to compete with likes of Amazon who sell at no profit.. and even Google's Nexus.. it makes sense to deal with WP only.
And how much money did Nokia make selling WP? :rotfl:
anmol
BRFite

Post by anmol »

Anujan wrote:
anmol wrote: Considering that most companies that sell Android Phones are not able to make much profit except for Samsung(which manages to do that thanks to its ability to use its own batteries/display/CPU/ram/storage etc) and now they will have to compete with likes of Amazon who sell at no profit.. and even Google's Nexus.. it makes sense to deal with WP only.
And how much money did Nokia make selling WP? :rotfl:
Read this: http://taskumuro.com/artikkelit/the-sto ... okia-meego

For a company transitioning away from MaemoMoblinMeegoQtIntel and Symbian.. getting USD 80.. is a SWEET deal.

Better than going with Android and :-

a) Not getting USD 80
b) Losing billions that they spent on Navteq as no one would use that on Android.
c) Giving royalty to Microsoft and others.
d) Losing royalty they get from Apple, as apple would have used its IP covering Android to bargain out of paying for Nokia's IP.

And finally :-

e) Joining list of companies making losses or having declining profits selling Android devices: Googarola, Sony Ericsson, Zte,Huawei, HTC etc
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

I hear the 920 is aggressively priced even unlocked.
BhairavP
BRFite

Post by BhairavP »

In the US? It is 450USD without contract on AT&T. Not sure if it is unlocked though.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

anmol wrote: Read this: http://taskumuro.com/artikkelit/the-sto ... okia-meego

For a company transitioning away from MaemoMoblinMeegoQtIntel and Symbian.. getting USD 80.. is a SWEET deal.

Better than going with Android and :-

a) Not getting USD 80
b) Losing billions that they spent on Navteq as no one would use that on Android.
c) Giving royalty to Microsoft and others.
d) Losing royalty they get from Apple, as apple would have used its IP covering Android to bargain out of paying for Nokia's IP.

And finally :-

e) Joining list of companies making losses or having declining profits selling Android devices: Googarola, Sony Ericsson, Zte,Huawei, HTC etc
Let's first dismiss the argument that Nokia would have had to compete with cheap handsets from Amazon because amazon hasn't made a phone yet.

My point was simple. Android or WP, hardware makers are getting commoditized. Even if Nokia has WP on their phones, they still have to compete with Samsung, HTC, LG and others who make WP handsets. In fact if I recall correctly Motorola is the only one not making WP handsets. So the argument that somehow going with WP means less competition is a pile of nandi droppings. A second point is, like it or not, even if they install WP, they are still competing with Android, iPhone and Blackberry, because customers choose between these platforms and manufacturers. So somehow windows making them competition proof is false. Somehow arguing that WP makes them pricing proof is also a pile of Nandi Droppings because even with WP they are competing with cheap Android handsets.

Next the royalty issue. If that is true Nokia simply fell prey to extortion. The list of "intellectual property " asserted by M$ against Barnes and noble includes such gems like "starting an application when an icon is clicked " :mrgreen:

In any case Motorola owns enough mobile patents that it can sue WP makers and M$ into oblivion. Recall that they won against apple.

NAVTEQ is a valid concern. But it is not the case that they can't use NAVTEQ if they went with android. Amazon does it on kindle fire.

The point with Nokia is that they needed cash upfront to tide over the time they won't have good offerings. M$ forked it. In return, they were screwed over many ways.

1. Forced by M$ to prematurely announce that they were abandoning symbian and meego *before they had a product out* so for 10 months or so, nobody bought Nokia phones. M$ got good publicity and Nokia got a bamboo up its musharraf

2. Making WP8 incompatible with WP7 meant nobody bought Nokia WP handsets first gen Eben after they came out, even though they worked just fine.

3. Not shipping WP8 on time meant that their WP8 handset was delayed.

4. For all the complaints of Google owning Motorola, it was M$ who developed a tablet in secret and screwed their partners over. They might be making a phone too.

5. Worked with HTC to make Nokia ish designs and even let them call it WP 8x.

Basically it comes down to this. All Strat-e-jee apart, Nokia cannot survive if they cannot sell phones. And WP does not seem to be an optimal partner which helps sell phones. As far as M$ is concerned, the money spent on Nokia was well spent. It helped keep WP in peoples mind space for a year till they were developing the real product -- when Nokia was bleeding to death slowly ...
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

BhairavP wrote:In the US? It is 450USD without contract on AT&T. Not sure if it is unlocked though.
Yep. Unlocked 920 is $450 from ATT.
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

apil cheats,
china learnt from mahdi or vice versa. :lol:
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

sammy no1 in sales, aapil 2
Samsung not only retained its top spot in worldwide smartphone sales, it set a record for the most smartphones sold in a single quarter by any vendor. IDC reported the data on Friday with Samsung moving an estimated 56.3 million smartphones in the third quarter of this year. Total number of smartphones for the three month period for the industry as a whole totaled 179.7 million units; a spectacular number when compared against the 87.8 million PC sales in the same quarter, per IDC.
Apple retained the second smartphone sales spot with 26.9 million handsets sold
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 4#p1331334
bearded maulanas here --
aapil won the court case against sammy for about $1 billion.
However sammy gets upwards of $10 billion yearly from aapil for phone parts etc.

How will this affect aapil.
is aapil not shooting itself-- could have gone for out of court settlement etc. out of media glare. :?:
does aapil have some other groups in pandaland doing its stuff. :((

also in the upshot of media glare maybe sammy may go laughing all the way to bank thanks to aapil mahdi's stupid strenous efforts. :rotfl:
sammy is given free publicity with aapil. many are thinking it is a good company that aapil fought . :D
My post about aapil sammy lawsuit which aapil won. But sammy laughing all the way to bank.
of course loss of face for aapil in bartania/oirope with apology ads in media. surely hurts the bottom. ouch. :(( :((
Last edited by krisna on 09 Nov 2012 03:11, edited 1 time in total.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

It is not a question of cheating. Patent process has become so ridiculous that they keep handing out frivolous patents and technology has become so complex that it is impossible to make anything without infringing on 50000 of those patents.

Some random company sued Intel yesterday because apparently they own the patent to the idea of encryption! Apple sued Samsung over pinch to zoom. Oracle sued Google over the concept of APIs and maintaining identifiers in a stack! This is getting more and more ridiculous.

In this sense, did apple invent everything that goes into its products? Obviously not. Cell phone was invented by Motorola, MP3 encoding by franhoufer institute, concept of encoding itself by god knows which mathematicians, computer by Charles babbage and Leibnitz before him, programmable computer by Alan Turing and the list goes on.

To give an example in novels, all I have to do is patent stories with a twist in the end, story structure where the hero loses in the end and stories where hero wins in the end and thats it. Nobody can write a novel anymore.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

So I bought a 7 inch Samsung tab. Initially was planning to get an e-reader but this was on a good deal so snapped it up. Mainly going to be used for reading books in bed... quite happy with it especially the form factor. A tad heavy but I should get used to it. I have plenty of books that beg to be read....
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Anujan wrote:In this sense, did apple invent everything that goes into its products? Obviously not. Cell phone was invented by Motorola, MP3 encoding by franhoufer institute, concept of encoding itself by god knows which mathematicians, computer by Charles babbage and Leibnitz before him, programmable computer by Alan Turing and the list goes on.

Hedy Lamarr, The american actress :) A far cry from our own empty headed, vaccous and pneumatic bimbos
Lamarr's and Antheil's frequency-hopping idea serves as a basis for modern spread-spectrum communication technology, such as Bluetooth, COFDM used in Wi-Fi network connections, and CDMA used in some cordless and wireless telephones.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

folks. I want to buy a Nokia Phone for two reasons : want to use Nokia maps and Drive and practice and check out windows phone.

how important is it to wait for the wp 8 phones in India?

the 600 is 10000 700 is 14000 and 800 is 18000. I understand that there is no difference between the two apart from screen and memory.

what should I go for? I already have experience with android and iPhone ..more with android ....and I am wedded to the Google ecosystem.

thanks for your comments about your experience with those platforms!
rohitvats
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by rohitvats »

^^^My dear man, go for LUMIA 800 and you'll love. Have had it for a month now and love every bit of it.

BTW, based on my interaction with NOKIA sales guys, the WIN 7.5 (on LUMIA 800) will be up-gradable to WIN 7.8 which will allow use of WIN 8.0 kind of interface....but if you can wait till December, LUMIA 820 should be out by then and by my reckoning, should cost around 27K-28K.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

folks. I want to buy a Nokia Phone for two reasons : want to use Nokia maps and Drive and practice and check out windows phone.

how important is it to wait for the wp 8 phones in India?

the 600 is 10000 700 is 14000 and 800 is 18000. I understand that there is no difference between the two apart from screen and memory.

what should I go for? I already have experience with android and iPhone ..more with android ....and I am wedded to the Google ecosystem.

thanks for your comments about your experience with those platforms!
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

get only windows 8 devices, from Nokia. I am watching, waiting to see the developer action on Windows 8 before opting for Lumia 820. It is believed that most apps will also switch to Windows platform after SDK for Windows 8 has been released for developers. It's now an open operating system like Android, well almost 90% like Android.

Also 7.5 can not be updated to 8.
member_20292
BRF Oldie

Post by member_20292 »

why windows phone 8 ovr 7 please???
habal
BRF Oldie

Post by habal »

for benefit of developers windows has made SoftwareDevelopmentKit of W8 open source. So developers of all top apps on Android and iOS are expected to migrate apps seamlessly to W8 platform also. In 2-3 months this will take place, atleast that's the marketing spin from bareekmulayam. dont' see any reason not to believe them, developers can make more money & widen their market so why shouldn't they make use of this opportunity.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

mahadevbhu wrote:why windows phone 8 ovr 7 please???
Windows Phone 7 has no future. Apps created for Win 8 won't work on WP 7 because of lack of backward compatibility and nobody is going to create new apps for WP7.