E-Book Links

Keshav
BRFite

Tods: Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan (Full Version)

Post by Keshav »

Full Version of Tod's: Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan

http://books.google.com/books?id=P0gOAAAAQAAJ

Google Books
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Re: E-Book Links

Post by svinayak »

SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

The King of Geo-politics wrote:

Harold Mackinder's Eight Lectures on India

Google Books:
History of Ancient India BY Rama Shankar Tripathi

I tried to get the book from Internet Archive but its a corrupted version with limited pages scanned. No QA after the scan.

In my college days I took Sanskrit literature as an easy grade improver. One of the playwrights was Bhasa. There is an e-book of his thirteen plays by Woolner and Sarup of Oriental COllege, Lahore. Good for those inclined.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Books: on Islam and the Ahmadiyya Movement
From the Official Website of the 'Lahore Ahmadiyya Movement for the Propagation of Islam' (Ahmadiyya Anjuman Isha'at-e-Islam Lahore).
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Medieval Indian Literature

Nice anthology from Google books.

GD you might be interested!
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

rsingh et al...
The below google book has collected a lot of proverbs from medieval North India. Claims to have a lot of proverbs in Khadi-boli, Urdu, Marwadi, Punjabi, Magadhi, and Bhojpuri etc.

A dictionary of Hindustani proverbs By S. W. Fallon

and

Telugu Proverbs
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Google books

History of India by HM Eliot

Look at who donated the book!
H.C. Hoover the former President of USA. Herbert C. Hoover who was a Stanford Alumnus.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Greek Imperialism (pdf)
William Scott Ferguson
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

http://www.mygazines.com

A great source for magazines of all kinds for free.

Articles
Every magazine has many articles – instead of having to sift through your magazines to find what you’re looking for, you can search the articles directly! Looking for a pie recipe? No need to search through entire food magazines – just search for recipes of your favorite pie in the search bar at the top of every page.

Mygazines
So what are you to do with all these articles you like? Why not archive them into your own personal magazines, or, "mygazines": a collection of articles arranged just the way you like them. Each of your mygazines can be focused on an area of interest – you could setup "recipes" mygazines and store all those pie recipes you found. Redecorating your bedroom? Create "bedrooms" mygazines and store all the articles you find on bedroom décor. You can create as many mygazines as you like and store as many or as few articles in each as you like. The possibilities are endless!

What can I do with all this content?
Each type of content has several options that can be found by clicking on their respective menu.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Its seems there is a google downloader for all those books loaded as flash files. The plug in is Flashget for IE and Flashgot for Firefox. it allows the google book to be downloaded and merged for later reading. Can someone more savvy than me try it out and report bacK?

Thanks, ramana
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Husky wrote:
ramana wrote:Can someone more savvy than me try it out and report bacK?
While waiting for some savvy apparition to show itself, you can try the following (which uses the programs you had already found - so not sure what people mean when they say they're not savvy/not quite knowledgeable enough!

Just tried all the following on some random pages of the Google book "Programming Perl" and it worked. Worked on Windows and using the Firefox browser.

(I) GET THE IMAGES THAT MAKE UP THE PAGES OF THE GOOGLE BOOK
1. Download the Flashgot plugin for your Firefox browser https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/220
a. Install it and Firefox will prompt for a restart for things to take effect

2. Go to the Google Book Downloader site at http://book.huhiho.com/
(An alternative might be http://book.leechvideo.com/ but I used the above one.)

a. Paste the link to your Google book in the box marked "Book" at the top.
Click Get.

It will go off to find the JPG image link for each page. Takes a while for it to list all the images and will tell you once it's finished. But even while it is creating all the links, you can already start saving groups of the linked images using FlashGet or FlashGot.
! Unless you have lots of RAM, best not to grab all the images in one go, but rather save small groups of 10 or 20 or so at a time using FlashGet (see below). My machine resorted to using virtual memory (i.e. super slow down) when I tried to download all the images in one go and eventually froze into standstill. Splitting the images into groups of a manageable size worked far faster and better.

b. The page http://book.huhiho.com/howto explains how to save the book using FlashGot and FlashGet. (I tried the FlashGot plugin for Firefox, since my FlashGet installation wasn't working too well with my outdated version of Internet Explorer.)

The page at this link states:
How to save book
1. Install FlashGet. If you're using Firefox, you'll need to install FlashGot extension.
- Internet Explorer Users : Select all pages, right-click, choose Download All with FlashGet
- Firefox Users : Select all pages, right-click, choose FlashGot Selection
3. Press OK to start downloading
4. After the downloading is finished, in FlashGet, left panel, click Downloaded folder. Select all pages of the book, right-click, choose Rename -> Comment As Filename
5. Read book :-B
(Sadly FlashGot thus not seem to have a renaming utility, but there's a fix for this further below.)

So, return to the Google Book Downloader page which was generating the image links for you, and:
a. Now that you have the Flashgot plugin installed in Firefox, select a group of ~ 10 images > Rightclick > Flashgot Selection.
b. It asks you to pick a folder to save it in. Since you will be renaming the images and converting everything into 1 PDF (see below), it helps to put all the downloaded images of the book into a new empty folder for this purpose.
c. The images will download the way Firefox usually does.
d. Repeat a-c for each set of X images until you're done (all images keep going into that same folder of course).

The annoying thing for me about Flashgot was that it would not let me specify the file extension for the downloaded image files in its Options menu (didn't work for me). Since no sane person would choose to spend hours of their life renaming hundred+ files to *.jpg, you want a Windows File Renaming utility. (Apparently using IE browser with Flashget will not require this of you, but I found the following no hassle at all.)

(II) UTILITY TO RENAME DOWNLOADED IMAGE FILES TO JPG EXTENSION
1. Download File Renamer Basic 4.0.3
http://www.download.com/3000-2248_4-10703208.html
(This application will be quite useful for Windows XP users in general, since you can do pattern-based file renaming - in case anyone else ever needs to do that sort of thing.)
2. Install it as usual. Open up the application.
3. In the File Renaming application's main window, in the left-hand pane, navigate to the new folder where you'd downloaded all the image files which don't yet have a file extension.
All your files will be displayed on the right (non-editable).
4. At the bottom of the window, there's a set of Tabs. Click on the "File Name Properties" tab.
5. From left to right of this tab, untick all the boxes marked "Include" - except for "Filename" and "Extension".
- For Filename, select "Leave Unchanged" in the drop-down box.
- For Extension, choose "Custom Extension" in the drop-down, then edit the text field above to say "jpg" - but without the quotes, and no period mark before it either.
6. Just above these Tabs are some colourful buttons. Choose the one marked "Preview" to preview the changes to the filenames you just made.
7. If you're happy with the renaming, then confirm the changes by pressing the "Apply" button right next to the Preview button.
8. Exit the application. Check your folder of images to confirm that they all have a *.jpg extension now.

(III) CONVERT THE IMAGES TO PDF
This step won't OCR it for you (that is, the PDF generated from the images will not be searchable), but you may find it better than hanging on to the many individual images.

1. Download the multipurpose PDF application "PDFill PDF Tools Free"
http://www.download.com/PDFill-PDF-Tools-F...cdlPid=10708855

It can do a lot of things so it's very much worth downloading in its own right:
PDFill PDF Tools is free PDF toolbox to merge, split, reorder, encrypt or decrypt, rotate, crop, reformat, header or footer, watermark, images to PDF, PDF to images, form fields delete, flatten, and list, and PostScript to PDF. You can merge multiple PDF files into one file; extract, split, or reorder pages into a new file; encrypt or decrypt PDF documents; rotate pages by 90, 180, and 270 degree; crop pages to change the view or print area; reformat multiple pages into one page with added note lines or change the page position. Add headers or footers in your international language; add stamp using image or a formatted text in your international language; convert images to PDF or PDF to images; delete, flatten, or list PDF form fields.Convert PS into PDF.

Version 5 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
In this situation, want to use the Images To PDF functionality.

2. Install the software. During installation, it will tell you that it needs GhostScript installed in order to function and will offer to install this for you as well. Accept. (GhostScript tends to generally be used for PostScript and PDF stuff.) Go through the installation, it takes a bit longer to install than the others but not that long; and I think that all I had to do was to click next/ok all the time.

3. Run the "PDFill PDF Tools" program

4. Press button number 9 titled "Convert Images to PDF".

5. You can drag and drop all the images from your image folder onto the table that's appeared at the top of the dialog. If the names of the images in your folder are in numerical/alphabetical order, they tend to appear here in order too on drag-'n-drop. (But there's also Move Up and Move Down buttons if you need to reorder them.)

6. Look through the other options in this dialog (such as portrait vs landscape) - options which have to do with the PDF that will be generated. I just left them all on their defaults.

7. Click the Save As button at the bottom to generate your PDF. (Open up the PDF and check it's all okay. If so, you can delete the source images.)

That's it.

You now owe me some cake, by the way.
Will try this on the weekend. Will try it on the Al -Hind book!
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

The Jesuits, The Padroado and East Asian Science (1552-1773) (History of Mathematical Sciences: Portugal and East Asia III)

About This Book

At the end of the 15th century, Portugal was given the oversight (Padroado) of all Catholic missions in Asia. The Society of Jesus played a major role in this enterprise of evangelization, which in Jesuit hands led to the transmission of major elements of European mathematical sciences to East Asia. The essays in this volume present important new data and analysis on the extent to and ways in which Jesuit scientific culture and Portuguese policies regarding education, trade and mission shaped the reception of "Western learning" in China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam in the early modern period.

# Hardcover: 229 pages
# Publisher: World Scientific Publishing Company (February 25, 2008)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 9812771255
# ISBN-13: 978-9812771254

http://rapidshare.com/files/151289207/T ... 771261.rar
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

India-Pakistan in War and Peace

Author(s): J. N. Dixit
Publisher: Routledge
Date : 2002
Pages :
Format : PDF
OCR :
Quality : Good
Language : English
ISBN : 0415304725

http://www.filefactory.com/file/790b12/ ... 342526_rar
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

X-Posted...
Book by K.A.Nilakanta Sastry which is available as a free ebook:

Further Sources Of Vijayanagara History
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A list of books by Bhagwati Saran Upadhyaya

E-Books from Internet Archive

1) India in kalidasa
2) Ancient World.

I recommend both. The latter is ~ 200 pages long and is worth reading. The first takes a long time to savor.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Andrew Dickson White, Founder of Cornell

Warfare of Science with Theology
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sri Rama Jois' book in Google Books:

Legal and Constitutional History of India
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

A couple of books from scribed:

1)A grammar of Modern Indo-European LAnguages
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7593705/A-Gra ... doEuropean

2) Rising of the Moon: language of Power

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7638963/The-R ... e-of-Power
ashish raval
BRFite

Post by ashish raval »

A book on Sonia Gandhi by Dr. Swamy.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7753237/Do-Yo ... Your-Sonia
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Nilakantha Sastry

South Indian Influences in Far East

Download the zip file.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Google book
From 8th to 10th century AD.

Economic History of Medieval North India

Brishaspatiji for you!

and

Games in Medieval India

pdf file
brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

Ramanaji,
Thanks for the links! I am trying to gather material on capital extraction from India during the medieval period. If you get any links please let me know.

For those interested in the Islamic chroniclers records: here is a good link
http://persian.packhum.org
Among others conatins full versions of Firishta, Elliott and Dowson, Chachnama, Tuzuk-i-jehangir etc., for download.
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

Flight Global has come out with a handy booklet containing the numerical strengths of all the Air Forces of the world. It also includes those crafts for which contracts have been signed, but not delivered

Download link – 2.36 MB PDF file
Hiten
BRFite

Post by Hiten »

The Institute for Foreign Policy Analysis - Missile Defense, the Space Relationship, and the Twenty-first Century - [5.56 MB PDF]
gandharva
BRF Oldie

Post by gandharva »

Hacking a Terror Network: The Silent Threat of Covert Channels
Syngress Publishing; 1 edition | ISBN: 1928994989 | English | 364 pages | December 1, 2004 | PDF | 5.79 MB

Written by a certified Arabic linguist from the Defense Language Institute with extensive background in decoding encrypted communications, this cyber-thriller uses a fictional narrative to provide a fascinating and realistic "insider's look" into technically sophisticated covert terrorist communications over the Internet.

The accompanying CD-ROM allows readers to "hack along" with the story line, by viewing the same Web sites described in the book containing encrypted, covert communications.

Hacking a Terror NETWORK addresses the technical possibilities of Covert Channels in combination with a very real concern: Terrorism. The fictional story follows the planning of a terrorist plot against the United States where the terrorists use various means of Covert Channels to communicate and hide their trail. Loyal US agents must locate and decode these terrorist plots before innocent American citizens are harmed. The technology covered in the book is both real and thought provoking.

Readers can realize the threat posed by these technologies by using the information included in the CD-ROM. The fictional websites, transfer logs, and other technical information are given exactly as they would be found in the real world, leaving the reader to test their own ability to decode the terrorist plot.

http://uploading.com/files/34DF4I0W/evk ... ..zip.html
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

Musharraf's "in the Line of Fire"

link

Ayesha Siddiqa's "Military Inc"

link
varun.thakkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by varun.thakkar »

@husky, Thanks for detailed wrte-up on downloading books from google. However, is there any method to access pages which are not part of the book preview ?
I tried to download the book, "Economic history of early medieval northern India
By Gian Chand Chauhan" , but some pages like page no 13-15, 21-23 are not part of the preview, and hence cannot be downloaded.
Avinash R
BRFite

Post by Avinash R »

^That post from Husky explaining how to get books is from india forum.
She could help you if could post your query there.
Here's the link to the forum.
http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index.php?act=portal
Tilak
BRFite

Post by Tilak »

raghunath wrote:Ayesha Siddiqa's "Military Inc"
Thanks. Always wanted to read the above.
varun.thakkar
BRFite -Trainee

Post by varun.thakkar »

Avinash R wrote:^That post from Husky explaining how to get books is from india forum.
She could help you if could post your query there.
Here's the link to the forum.
http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index.php?act=portal
Thanks for the information. Will contact her at IF.
Javee
BRF Oldie

Post by Javee »

Tracking Ghost Net - Investigating a cyber espionage network

This report documents the GhostNet - a suspected cyber espionage network of over 1,295 infected computers in 103 countries, 30% of which are high-value targets, including ministries of foreign affairs, embassies, international organizations, news media, and NGOs.

The capabilities of GhostNet are far-reaching. The report reveals that Tibetan computer systems were compromised giving attackers access to potentially sensitive information, including documents from the private office of the Dalai Lama. The report presents evidence showing that numerous computer systems were compromised in ways that circumstantially point to China as the culprit. But the report is careful not to draw conclusions about the exact motivation or the identity of the attacker(s), or how to accurately characterize this network of infections as a whole. The report argues that attribution can be obscured.

The report concludes that who is in control of GhostNet is less important than the opportunity for generating strategic intelligence that it represents. The report underscores the growing capabilities of computer network exploitation, the ease by which cyberspace can be used as a vector for new do-it-yourself form of signals intelligence. It ends with warning to policy makers that information security requires serious attention.

http://documents.scribd.com/docs/1jiyoq ... udh2s7.pdf