2020 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Srutayus
BRFite

Re: 2020 Strategic and Political Analysis-1

Post by Srutayus »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0BPj9fBd-0
A brilliant explainer of the Farm Bills from Maridhas. More power to him and those like him
vimal
BRFite

Post by vimal »

KL Dubey wrote:
vimal wrote:A simple change of law barring NRIs with citizenship or permanent residency in a foreign country from owning land in India should solve a lot of issues.
A citizen of a foreign country cannot be an NRI in the first place.

As for permanent residents of other countries, they are Indian citizens with all the same rights as any other Indian. There is no way you can ban an Indian from owning land.

I have reported your post.
Reported my post? :rotfl:
By NRI I really meant PIO with citizenship/PR of another country and still stand by my original statement.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Foundation ceremony for the new parliament

What a glorious sankalpam!

WATCH

via@ShefVaidya
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Shaheenbagh biryani was soo yesterday, "Kisan Andolan" is where all the real fun is. From free pizzas to roti machines to foot massagers and dry fruits for breakfast what's not to like ?

This needs to be spread far and wide so everyone can show up and take advantage of the free spa and buffet.
ManSingh
BRFite

Post by ManSingh »

Ambar wrote:Shaheenbagh biryani was soo yesterday, "Kisan Andolan" is where all the real fun is. From free pizzas to roti machines to foot massagers and dry fruits for breakfast what's not to like ?

This needs to be spread far and wide so everyone can show up and take advantage of the free spa and buffet.
Would you ask the same question ( spa ), buffet etc if it is present at a middle class or higher gathering.

Btw,
Foot massager: Donated by Khalsa Aid.
Dry fruits: Donated by California Sikhs ( Tut brothers ).

None of these are items you would typically find at a farm household in Punjab and these arrived only in the last few days.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

vimal wrote: Reported my post? :rotfl:
By NRI I really meant PIO with citizenship/PR of another country and still stand by my original statement.
You're misusing the term 'NRI'. It's only ever meant someone who is an Indian citizen. Someone corrected you. Graciously accept the correction instead of doubling down on a mistake while throwing smileys. It's disruptive forum behavior to act in this manner of making up definitions to suit your own ongoing argument.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

I would ask the same question if they are blocking my road and taking a foot massage.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

ManSingh wrote: Would you ask the same question ( spa ), buffet etc if it is present at a middle class or higher gathering.

Btw,

None of these are items you would typically find at a farm household in Punjab and these arrived only in the last few days.
Mansinghji, this is a upper class led gathering funded by rich expatriates pouring fuel on fire. I highlight the hypocrisy of these farm leaders who claim to fight for the poor farmers and their plight. The farmer who borrows money on daily interest in Karnataka or Maharashtra and later commits suicide cannot dream of such luxuries , let alone camp in Delhi enjoying dry fruits and pizzas for 6 months leaving his livelihood behind.
ManSingh
BRFite

Post by ManSingh »

Ambar wrote:
ManSingh wrote: Would you ask the same question ( spa ), buffet etc if it is present at a middle class or higher gathering.

Btw,

Mansinghji, this is a upper class led gathering funded by rich expatriates pouring fuel on fire. I highlight the hypocrisy of these farm leaders who claim to fight for the poor farmers and their plight. The farmer who borrows money on daily interest in Karnataka or Maharashtra and later commits suicide cannot dream of such luxuries , let alone camp in Delhi enjoying dry fruits and pizzas for 6 months leaving his livelihood behind.
I understand your point and that is exactly what I meant as well. A farmer in Punjab can not dream of such luxuries either. These are funded by super-rich members of the community and/or charitable organizations. The protesters are not sleeping out on pavements in cold Delhi nights to enjoy these luxuries.
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Looking at all these protest and people not even thinking logically, i am thinking of starting my own protest. Every person earning less than 5000 rs should get 5000 rs from govt. I am sure i will manage lakhs of people and block Delhi again. This has to stop. I remember my grandfather growing 33 tones of sugarcane per acre and so does my uncle(his son). They have done zilch for themselves in terms of scientific farming apart from having 4 sons and splitting the land to 1/4th of what my grandfather had.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

Anand Ranganathan@ARanganathan72·14h

What is the idea behind such headlines and reports? Hindu farmers don't exist? And even if they do they aren't protesting? And even if they are let's exclude them from stories of inter-faith unity?

Identify the enemy. Without mentioning him.

There is no longer even a pretence.

m_saini
BRFite

Post by m_saini »

No wonder that less than 1% of our population pays taxes. Far better to just lay siege to delhi and demand those 1% keep supporting your profession in perpetuity. That you can also play victim is just a bonus :mrgreen:
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

The only way this ends is if the GoI capitulates or there is a division in the farmers front or there is a credible mediator.
The farmers position is maximalist and to some extent goaded by the Left with the intention to rub the government’s face in the mud. In such a situation there is no way out.

Come next week or so matters will be precipitated, tires will burnt and a riot will be organised. Poor people will die and the news channels will have a field day.

No farmer leader has said so far what they are concerned about after the assurances at Amit Shah and Tomar meeting beyond repealing 3 laws.
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

How does one know that the present lot represents all Indian farmers?
dsreedhar
BRFite

Post by dsreedhar »

Let those protesting farmers enjoy the luxuries of dry fruits and foot massages at the expense of these foreign orgs aid. Take it as a vacation.
If the govt is forced to repeal the bills do only in exchange for taxing the rich farmers with agricultural income over certain amount.
Karan M
Forum Moderator

Post by Karan M »

The irresponsibility shown by these farmers in the middle of a pandemic, is incredible. Literally no masks either. This pandemic has clearly shown how many folks need to really advance in terms of social responsibility.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Sachin wrote:When is the next harvesting season? If it is any time soon GoI can come up with some 'success stories' from states in which it has some leverage. Go with a publicity 'blitzkreig' through all channels possible. The bluff of the APMC 'dalals' have to be called out.

Harvesting of wheat will start in March in UP and then it will moved over to Haryana and Punjab with Punjab being the last., around end of may.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

It's worth noting that while the opposition has chosen the continuous-agitation-mode since GE2019, none of the major agitations have resulted in a single law being overturned. Not 370, not CAA, not the farm bills. In fact, all these were hijacked by extremists who guaranteed that those with any genuine grievance never managed to find a sane resolution. As I mentioned before, whichever way this protest ends, the loser will be the Punjabi farmer.

The government it seems has a fairly good experience at playing poker at this point. Sometimes you have to bluff or offer some sane options, e.g, an amendment or an assurance. A sensible protester will accept it gladly. A maximalist aiming at just anti-govt protesting for optics will not. The government should continue doing this. Let the maximalists sabotage every protest they want. The pace of reforms will continue and nothing can be done about that by those opposing, because they lack the legislative power to do so.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

small punjab farmers having a discussion on APMC

the look of eager anticipation on their faces alone, makes democracy worthwhile

sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

https://scroll.in/article/959164/in-thi ... he%20state.

Educative regarding the power structure in Panjab. I didn't realise Dalit Sikhs have it so bad.
KJo
BRF Oldie

Post by KJo »

Yindoo nationalist Modi creating Yindoo rashtra.
How kommunal. Minorities will cower in fear. How intolerant.

I look forward to Tharoor Mama writing an self-righteous but eloquent essay on how this reprehensible and despicable decision would cause the social fabric of India to be torn asunder. :eek:

Ayodhya, upcoming Ram Temple in Uttar Pradesh’s tableau for Republic Day
Uttar Pradesh’s tableau at the Republic Day parade in Delhi will showcase the grandeur of the upcoming Ram temple in Ayodhya, the temple town’s culture, and Ayodhya as a symbol of social-religious harmony, said a senior state information department officer.
:twisted:
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

https://scroll.in/article/980474/what-t ... sees-india

Somebody needs their secular undies ironed.

The difference is determined by both the substance of the protests and the protestors. Farm laws may be up for discussion but the CAA is not. It is part of a longer civilisational battle to redefine secular India as a Hindu nation.

So far, the CAA has largely been a symbolic gesture – a year after passing the law, the government is yet to notify the rules and it is not clear how many people will be able to prove both religious identity and religious persecution in neighbouring countries to gain citizenship. But it is a nod to the annals of Hindutva, where India is a natural home for Hindus, a Hindu society which must close its ranks against the Muslim other.

In doing so, the Centre signals that Muslims in India exist in a state of exception, where they may no longer take their rights as citizens for granted or make demands of their government. Even farmers gathering at the edge of the capital today recognise their “privilege” to protest. Sikh men carrying kirpans, or daggers, may be let into the arena of democratic protest, albeit with some reluctance. Muslim women braving the winter cold with their children may not.

So there you have it, two different protests can only mean that Sikhs are seen as affiliated peoples, Muslims are seen as the other.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

sanjaykumar wrote:https://scroll.in/article/959164/in-thi ... he%20state.

Educative regarding the power structure in Panjab. I didn't realise Dalit Sikhs have it so bad.
This is true. The "green revolution" largely benefited the land owning upper caste Jatt Sikhs and Khatris in Punjab and Haryana , the dalit sikhs were left far behind. This is also the reason for the popularity of many satsangs and deras like Dera Sacha Sauda . Many of the sikh truck drivers , day wage laborers, land tillers are from the marginalized castes who seek spiritual (and in some cases economic) refuge in deras like DSS, Radha Saomi, Dera Namdhari among others. It is no secret that the evangelist missionaries have been very active in Punjab in the last 8 to 10 yrs, their targets as usual are the dalit Hindus and dalit Sikhs. I also feel if and when BJP decides to build its brand in Punjab, they should play for the votes of Hindus and marginalized sikhs.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

I am disappointed to learn that caste discrimination is strong in the Panjab.

I have not been to rural Hindu houses of worship and in general avoid any religious show (that would make me a hypocrite as well as nastik!) but I cannot recall my extended kinship network ever asking if the temple admitted non Brahmins or non upper castes. My experience is limited to North Indian cities only.

There has been the stray remark over the years, a Kaur I knew from work once stated that the only true Sikh was a Jatt :roll:

Added: I suppose the upper castes then are not over wrought about the zeal of the cross bearers.I would not be shocked if they welcomed them-good riddance and all that.
ManSingh
BRFite

Post by ManSingh »

sanjaykumar wrote:I am disappointed to learn that caste discrimination is strong in the Panjab.

I have not been to rural Hindu houses of worship and in general avoid any religious show (that would make me a hypocrite as well as nastik!) but I cannot recall my extended kinship network ever asking if the temple admitted non Brahmins or non upper castes. My experience is limited to North Indian cities only.

There has been the stray remark over the years, a Kaur I knew from work once stated that the only true Sikh was a Jatt :roll:

Added: I suppose the upper castes then are not over wrought about the zeal of the cross bearers.I would not be shocked if they welcomed them-good riddance and all that.
Don't go too much by the scroll.in article. Experiences can vary. The articles quote districts that are the poorest in Punjab ( read - ripe for a leftist revolution ). In my part of Punjab, dalits are very powerful, prosperous and dictate local politics, businesses more than any other caste. There are several reasons for lower land ownership among dalits:

1) Many were brought into Punjab by the British to work in factories for the war effort.

2) When Punjab was rural, dalits had a right to 1/3 of shamlat ( common village land pool ). With rapid urbanization this pool has shrunk with land reverting back to the descendants of those families who had given land for the common pool once the land use is changed to urban. There is of course the case of greedy builders/politicians grabbing common land as well if land titles were unclear.

The kaur you spoke is highly incorrect. All Sikh guru's were Khatri sikhs ( though it is incorrect for me to assign a caste to them ). Punjab has the highest dalit population as a percentage amongst all states.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

sanjaykumar wrote:https://scroll.in/article/959164/in-thi ... he%20state.

It is not as bad as shown in this biased article. My village in Gurdaspur district have all "Dalits" and "Christians" working and even cooking food and doing other jobs. When they visit Chandigarh they come to my house and stay overnight. We do not observe the so called "Caste rules" in this article.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

Good that some at least are progressive in these things.

Chandigarh eh? Nice place, clean and orderly and of course wealthy. Along with Mysuru and Shimla, a place I would be happy to live in.
shaun
BRFite

Post by shaun »

When BR have started taking scroll artcles seriously ?? There is problem but not the way amplified by them
Manish_P
BRF Oldie

Post by Manish_P »

Pak credit card found at Shiv Sena MLA Pratap Sarnaik

Vayutuvan
BRF Oldie

Post by Vayutuvan »

sanjaykumar wrote:Good that some at least are progressive in these things.

Chandigarh eh? Nice place, clean and orderly and of course wealthy. Along with Mysuru and Shimla, a place I would be happy to live in.
you like shimla mirch? Lovely movie with Rajkumar Rao and Rakul Preet. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Abhibhushan
BRFite

Post by Abhibhushan »

Just some thoughts:

What if the GoI decides that it will create a mobile app where

After an announcement by the GOI at the end of each agricultural season of the total quantity of particular grain to be procured for the central pool at MSP

A farmer can log in with his Aadhaar number + Jan Dhan Account and offer his desired quantity of the notified grains to the central pool

GOI can totalise the offers work out the acceptance quantity by correlating the area under the crop plus the quantum of produce plus the quantum of land holding arranged from small to big and issue acceptance orders (procurement authority) directly to the farmers and pay the farmers by DBT as soon as the receiving Mandi confirms the receipt of grains against the procurement authority .

This process will funnel the agricultural subsidy to the needy poorest and prevent exploitation at the Mandi. The farmer will know where he should go with how much quantity to sell at MSP.
Any purchase above the accepted quantity will have to be sold at a negotiated ‘market’ price.
durairaaj
BRFite

Post by durairaaj »

Employees vandalise iPhone manufacturing plant over salary dues
This news shall go into economy thread and internal security thread also.
The riot seems to be organized by some powers. The plant belongs to Wistron, a Taiwanese company, in Karnataka, a BJP ruled state.
Its indicating so many underlying messages.
Workers are alleging that company has not piad enough.
A news article from last week indicated that Wistron wanted to invest another 1250 crores into this plant. If workers were unpaid its unbelievable.

Defence forum India has some heart breaking images. Link
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

Saudi deports 100s of Indians protesting against NRC-CAA https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20201 ... -register/
IndraD
BRF Oldie

Post by IndraD »

population control law
In SC Modi govt says families to decide the number of children, govt can't dictate family size https://navbharattimes.indiatimes.com/i ... 694812.cms
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

^^^Modi's heart and mind are both in the right place.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

durairaaj wrote:Employees vandalise iPhone manufacturing plant over salary dues
The riot seems to be organized by some powers. The plant belongs to Wistron, a Taiwanese company, in Karnataka, a BJP ruled state.
A news article from last week indicated that Wistron wanted to invest another 1250 crores into this plant. If workers were unpaid its unbelievable.

Looks like trying to bring chinese style management into India. Hope they realize that doesn't work in India.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SBajwa wrote:
Sachin wrote:When is the next harvesting season? If it is any time soon GoI can come up with some 'success stories' from states in which it has some leverage. Go with a publicity 'blitzkreig' through all channels possible. The bluff of the APMC 'dalals' have to be called out.

Harvesting of wheat will start in March in UP and then it will moved over to Haryana and Punjab with Punjab being the last., around end of may.
most of the so called protestors may not go back for the harvest, that is if they last out in the dilli winter for that long in the first place.

Many of them getting foot massages and munching on dry fruits seem like aged bullocks put out to pasture while the younger ones may be at home tending/ managing the fields using migrant labor.
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

hanumadu wrote:

Looks like trying to bring chinese style management into India. Hope they realize that doesn't work in India.
Sadly neither will the scale of Chinese manufacturing work in India. The Wistron plant arson and vandalism comes just weeks after yet another strike in Toyota's plan in Bidadi Karnataka, despite a high pent up demand, the plant is turning < 100 cars a day due to the ongoing labor problems. Karnataka is also going through flash strike by the government RTC unions bringing public transportation to a standstill . Congress and the left have an iron grip on these unions, and it looks like their new strategy is to create an environment of agitation, general strikes, bands to discredit the government and scare away investors.

Looking at the images of violence at Wistron's factory, its not just stone pelting but the staff seems to have done a lot of damage to the inside of the factory as well. If low wages are the reason then the employee always has the option of looking for better opportunity elsewhere or taking the employer to court over wage arbitration. Destroying factories is the surest way to repeat what happened to industries in the license raj days .
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

hanumadu wrote:

This sort of thing can and will hit FDI quite hard if not extinguished quickly and some jokers should need to be imprisoned ASAP as an example.

but in KAR politics, there is no one to bell the cat. The congis and the minorities are all capable of destabilizing the economy and particularly the city of Bangalore to ruin the industrial climate and the reputation of the city

and law and order becomes a state subject so the center is constrained to act
darshan
BRF Oldie

Post by darshan »

All these companies knew very well what they are getting into. When deciding to set up a plant, this was always on the risk factors for India and not wanting to move to India. Hyundai and Kia cases were often referenced and so was TATA cases. The recent moves were all based on political factors. Else it was Vietnam and Malaysia that always won over India.