BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Post by RayC »

Post counts are ego massage, I presume.

There should be some index to register the intellectual content and some index that give negative point for timepass (politely worded!) posts.

That would be fun and watch the post counts then!
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

RayC wrote:Post counts are ego massage, I presume.

There should be some index to register the intellectual content and some index that give negative point for timepass (politely worded!) posts.

Reputation buttons! :)
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Is there some way one can help out BR in the IT dept?
I could render my services
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Sriman: Very good idea.

In the blogsphere members can give a thumbs up or down for posts & members. When a members posts a comment, other members, if they like the post, can award a point to the it. The member, who posted, will accrue all such awarded points. If necessary, we can have bands of numbers with titles. A similar model when members do not like a post, instead of a +ve point, they award a negative point.
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

SwamyG, phpBB actually has a reputation mod which does pretty much the same thing:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=368075

I've seen that mod in other forums and it comes with it's own baggage. People tend to form coteries and massage each other's reputations. In most softwares you can actually see who has left you good/bad reputation points and can lead to people retaliating etc. That said, it does identify good contributors. Anyway this is not a request from me, just thought i'd share what i know.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Sriman: Systems have their drawbacks, and so does this 'reputation' thingie. As you indicate there could a "side-bar-war" that would start between members. If the details of the members awarding the points can be hidden, then it is worth trying.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

do we really need kiddish stuff like reputation meter?
stick around for sometime and you will know whose who in terms of knowledge
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

Kiddish? It is a matter of opinion. It can also help newbies and can be a feedback channel to the members.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I don't exactly like this reputation or thumbs up stuff for a FORUM like BRF our purpose is different from that of blogs or comments published on NYT .

Above might discourage those members who otherwise post honest opinions but for some reason might not find much support from others. As it is people who profile posts obviously have stand/opinion about the issue and imo it makes a lot of sense to articulate that in words rather than a mere thumbs up or thumbs down.

JMTs.
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

oh baba, it is not my request. I was just pointing out the benefits of such a system. I did not propose nor ask the particular feature :mrgreen: Oh Shanthi. Om Shanthi. Om Shanthi.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

I just expressed my opinion saar, now I might be wrong and the system might have merits which I am not aware of . 8)
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

AdityaM wrote:Is there some way one can help out BR in the IT dept?
I could render my services
Sure. we can do with all the help in the following areas:

1. Apache ModRewrite / URL Rewrite
2. Php/MySQL programming
3. Javascript
4. IE8 Accelerators
5. Joomla Template designers
6. Gallery 2.x Template Designers
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Was just wondering if "Detterence" and "POK-II" threads can be moved to HAF. :)
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

"IAF not a rag-tag airforce" is linked to wrong news article
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

SwamyG wrote:Sriman: Very good idea.

In the blogsphere members can give a thumbs up or down for posts & members. When a members posts a comment, other members, if they like the post, can award a point to the it. The member, who posted, will accrue all such awarded points. If necessary, we can have bands of numbers with titles. A similar model when members do not like a post, instead of a +ve point, they award a negative point.
That assumes a dharmic crowd with everyone having his view. It takes on a different meaning if there is a coterie who will say "I agree" and add 5 stars to every post that someone may make. In fact I have requested a second login by name FakRuddin who will say "I agree 400%" after every post made by shiv.

The other downside is longterm lurkers who finally get the courage to post are hounded out because they say something wrong.
Umrao Das
BRFite

Post by Umrao Das »

I agree 400% with Shiv ji. FakRuddin sounds real active(life) persons name who can create in his own image given a chance!
adel ansari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by adel ansari »

Can anyone please tell me how should I change my nick?
I was assigned one by a moderator.

Can any moderator change the nick of a memeber?
If they can, then I would like to request any of the moderators to please change my nick to adel.

Thanks...

done,
Rahul.
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Could the mods please change my nick to "Gaur"?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by archan on 21 Oct 2009 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Jai ho. Done.
adel ansari
BRFite -Trainee

Post by adel ansari »

Thanks.. Rahul..
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Guys I dont know if this has been discussed before or if I'm allowed to say it but I do feel BRF lacks colour and charm (aesthetically speaking only).

Why can't we have the following:
1) Individual Display pics
2) Customisable signature at the end of every post (which can have links to one's personal twitter/FB/Orkut/Blog sites)
3) Customisable status messages (in place of/next to locations)

Ofcourse, all the above can be regulated by a set of strict guidelines by the mods so that they don't stray onto forbidden areas like obscenity or hysterical sterotypes or if it sidelines the seriousness & importance of discussions and can always be tweaked by the mods when deemed necesary.

What says guys?

Here's a forum i frequent and has all the above things i mentioned. Its been managed quite well even with the ghastly age group of teenagers being majority users. At the same time, the seriousness or gravity of the discussions has never been underplayed because of the cosmetics.

PS: If one cares enough to create an id and sign into the forums, you'll also get to see the "Thanks" and "No thanks" buttons after each post and how it works. Though not a necessity, it helps people who are not much with the words make their views known without having to type anything.

BTW, I think this forum runs on the same software of pHpBB that BRF does.
Last edited by Dmurphy on 21 Oct 2009 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

All those were tried out before being taken off. The software has the option to allow all that, but the website owner has disabled them. Frankly speaking i prefer this clean look and feel.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

krishnan wrote:All those were tried out before being taken off. The software has the option to allow all that, but the website owner has disabled them. Frankly speaking i prefer this clean look and feel.
If the "groan" option was available here, i would have used it for sure :mrgreen:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

don't think this will work too well on BR.

just my opinion. (love it though, I'll use it in nukkad ! :P )
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Rahul M wrote:just my opinion. (love it though, I'll use it in nukkad ! :P )
Is that really possible, since i WAS thinking about it. We could enable these things in Nukkad and have a trial / carnival of sorts. Your call webmasters/mods!
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Yo Mods where is Jais these days ? no activity on MIL forum. :wink:
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

RayC wrote:Post counts are ego massage, I presume.

Xposting from "Indian Core: Ideas and descriptions-I" thread page 11
Note: I am copying the posts below in a chronological order to present the context of the last post
Shalav wrote:
RayC wrote:I have deleted your post.

Not worth that of this forum!
Just a thought, but in the interests of fairness and open discussion, shouldn't you NOT moderate where you are personally involved?

Let another moderator decide what is fair and in the interests of this forum.
RayC wrote:Deletion is a part of Moderation. Can't have a flaming row, can we?

Banning or warning is that what I leave to others.

I have mentioned what I did.

If I were a little sneak, I would have done that and pretend to be a nice chap without anyone knowing it.

Let us look at it another way. I find the poster irritating to my point of view. I don't say anything on the subject. Just warn and then ban! And sit back smug. I am not in Alice in Wonderland, nor the Quenn of Hearts or the Cheshire Cat! No sir, that is not my way. I want 100 flowers to bloom even if the smell is offensive! A free country and so ideas must flow. Even ideas that I am uncomfortable with has taught me a lot! I am here, first to learn and then to moderate. Moderation is secondary!

Have wise ideas left?

If you feel you are better, please apply for the job of a Moderator.

Each Moderator is condemned here, be it N3, Archan, Rahul M.

It is the crown of thorns we have to bear.

Good to have a wise head with 143 posts around here as yours to caution us!

Thank you, sir!
Moderators, I presume, do not want to see IB4TL kind of posts hence I am a bit perplexed about the two posts from RayC (a Poster and Moderator on BRF). In the first post he claims post counts mean nothing on BR (from his perspective). In the second post he uses Shalav's post count (with whom he is arguing over a moderation issue) to persuade him from pressing the moderation issue. If higher post count mean nothing on BRF then the bolded portion of the second post should be with deleted. Otherwise a mixed message is being sent to all posters.
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Why has the thread "Indian Core: Ideas and descriptions-I" been locked?
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Rudradev wrote:Why has the thread "Indian Core: Ideas and descriptions-I" been locked?
Because a new one will start!
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Started.

Please visit it and comment!
Neela
BRF Oldie

Post by Neela »

A humble request:

Please take it easy on the newbies. Works against BRF any which ways you see it with any kind of sarcastic comments on them.
There could be always something that these guys can bring to the table. At the very least, newbies don't turn out to be Jaswant Singhs after a few months.

Believe me, I had this talk with a person who was a newbie here, had to beat a hasty retreat because of some comments and later called this as something not very different to what B.Raman said about us.
I do not know his handle.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

^^^ Couldn't agree with you more. I too got pissed off and almost left when a biggie started pushing his thumbs against my nose when I was new to BRF. That too for having asked a simple question.

Better sense prevailed and i stayed on, though.

Please take it easy on the n00bies, Mods.
VijayKumarSinha
BRFite

Post by VijayKumarSinha »

If we are about the Raksha of India, why is it that there are no articles about Naxalites/Maoists in the news section?

Also, why is it that the threads in the 'strategic issues & international relations forum' not included in the 'Latest Discussion' section of the front page? :?:
Ravi Karumanchiri
BRFite

Post by Ravi Karumanchiri »

Hello BRF Members and Readers. Allow me to introduce myself. I am a 'newbie' and this is my very first post on BRF. It is a humble suggestions for the benefit of people like me, and others who may not be entirely clued-in with all of the acronyms (particularly the novel or regional ones).

Would it be possible for someone to create a glossary of acronyms, for the benefit of 'newbies' like me? I understand that militaries around the world are all keen on their acronyms, and they do help type things out quickly; but they are not always conducive to illuminating commentary or learningful discourse.

I am not entirely uninformed, but neither am I perfectly knowledgeable on all of the arcane A-B-Cs in use on BRF.

Thanks for your due consideration.

Rgds,

Ravi Karumanchiri
(yes, that's my real name)
Sriman
BRFite

Post by Sriman »

^ ^ ^

Here you go:

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... ?f=24&t=46

ArmenT has put most of them on his excellent glossary:

http://sites.google.com/site/brfdictionary/
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

by the way bradmins, why is the acronym thread in the burkha forum? I am scratching my head to think of a reason for it.
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

X-Posting from Nukkad thread per Rahul M.

Folks, I'm proud to announce the release of the infamous poly-unsaturated BRF Archiver tool version 0.2.0 (Rocket Ramanathan).

To install this program, visit:
http://sites.google.com/site/brfdictionary/utilities

Download and unzip from here and read the README.txt file before running. Windows users may want to use WordPad instead of Notepad to read the file README.txt.

For those who missed the announcement for version 0.1.0 (Omakuchi), this program allows you to archive specific BR threads to your hard disk for posterity. You can choose to archive the entire thread or only the posts of specific users within that thread. The program is cross-platform and runs on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, *BSD etc.

New Features of version 0.2.0:
* Allows you to specify multiple specific usernames whose posts you wish to archive from a thread (version 0.1.0 (Omakuchi) only allowed one username).
* New "squelch noise" option that can be used to remove some useless posts from a thread (smiley posts, congratulatory messages etc.)

As always, this program is written in python with full source code included, so that you can verify for yourself that I'm not pulling any pakiness. As Maiden once said in 'Piece of Mind', "No synthesizers or ulterior motives." It is also released under a very permissive license, so feel free to make modifications as needed.

This release is named after the original "rocket-man" of Tamil Nadu, Mr. Rocket Ramanathan, a rather underappreciated man.

The original motive of this program was due to me reading Dileep saar's spy story Mark-I thread.
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 49&start=0
Unfortunately there were two separate stories going on in this thread, so I needed a way to archive and separate the authors and hence this program was born. Release 0.2.0 was written because I wanted to archive some other threads with only the posts of certain authors and remove the posts with only smileys in them.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

ravi_ku wrote:
by the way bradmins, why is the acronym thread in the burkha forum? I am scratching my head to think of a reason for it.
which of the following category does the acronym thread fall into ?

# Military Issues & History
# Strategic Issues & International Relations
# Technology & Economic

none of the above right ?
hence it is in the general discussion forum ?

-----------------------------
thanks armenT.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Rahul,
Imagine a newbie going through BENIS without the acronym thread to refer to! :eek: :mrgreen: Please consider moving it back to the strat forum or maybe a sticky across all forums?
vishnu.nv
BRFite

Post by vishnu.nv »

Hi Mods,

I am getting a error many times when i try to connect to BR forums. Mostly SQL Error telling connection exceeded 1040.

This is not the first time, but regularly from last one month i am getting this error randomly on forum's.Never had this problem when i was in India.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Seems most of the lurkers and members based out of massa browse BRF at work :mrgreen: .