Can IAF Mig-27s do high-altitude bombing?

rama
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Can IAF Mig-27s do high-altitude bombing?

Post by rama »

One of the major fuselage modifications to the Mig-27 was additional titanium armouring to the pilot and critical systems. So, one can assume that CAS and close tactical support was/is the Mig-27's primary role.<P>As for ASM's, check out BR's picture gallery. I believe one of the pictures is of a Mig-27 with it's weaponry spread out, and bang in the center of the display is an ASM (AS-7?). This is about as close a confirmation as one can get about ASM capability of the Mig-27 - and indeed no other platform yet (the Su-30's may when modified) in IAF fleet can deliver the AS-7 and the AS-14 ASM's. So it can be assumed safely that the Mig-27, and perhaps the Mig-23BN, can deliver them.<P>LGB's - I dont know. For sure, the Litening pod - part of the upgrade package - will give it this capability in the near future.
Div
BRFite

Post by Div »

Can someone positively id the missle that Rama is referring to.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... iG-27e.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... 27e.jpg</A> <P>Assuming that the BR missle list is accurate, I would narrow it down to the Kh-25 (AS-12) or Kh-29 (AS-14) variant.
rama
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rama »

The ASM's nose cone does not have any optical window, so that weighs against a laser guided or TV guided missile so AS-14's are out. Best guess would be an AS-12 - the anti-radiation version. This leaves me just a little surprised since the Mig-27 is not usually associated with "wild weasel" missions.
Rupak
Webmaster BR

Post by Rupak »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Div:<BR><B>Can someone positively id the missle that Rama is referring to.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... iG-27e.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Image ... 27e.jpg</A> <P>Assuming that the BR missle list is accurate, I would narrow it down to the Kh-25 (AS-12) or Kh-29 (AS-14) variant.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>That's a Kh-25. The Kh-29 is a much smaller weapon<BR>
Michael
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Michael »

rama - I can't tell from any of the Mig-27 pics whether the nosecone pod has a camera in it or not. Keep in mind these are covered except when in flight. I would assume it has to have <I>some</I> kind of camera in it, otherwise there'd be no way for the pilot to aim and steer his laser-guided missiles.<P>I think it's been well established that the Mig-27 can fire the various Russian laser-guided and anti-radiation ASM's in the Indian inventory, and also the TV-guided Kh-29T. Maybe some others as well. <P>Now I don't see why the Mig-27 would have a problem using the anti-radiation or TV-guided missiles from high-altitude - you don't need a fancy designator/camera pod for those. <P>But my question all along has been: what about the cheaper and more plentiful laser-guided ASM's and laser-guided bombs? With the pod in the current Mig-27ML's, can you see and lase the target from high altitude? Can the camera zoom that far with enough clarity? Is the laser powerful enough to work from that high? Does the camera have an IR mode so you can do it at night? <P>These are the critical details if you're talking about high-altitude strikes. I wish we had a former Mig-27 pilot here - one of those guys could clear this up in no time! Image<P>Did Mig-27's do any strikes with LGB's or ASM's during Kargil?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

From Johann by e-amil to me........<BR>ps. the Indian Mig-27 ML does NOT have the Kaira system which includes TV/FLIR<BR>guidance. these are recognisable by a rounded window above a rectangular<BR>window just under the nose. The Mig-27M was equipped with the Klyon(Klen)<BR>laser rangefinder/target marker in the nose with a ranging distance of 10km<BR>and a marking range of 7km. However, the only source I have seen that specifies<BR>the Nl's fit states that it is equipped with the older 'fone' rangefinder<BR>whose abilities I am uncertain of. <BR>-------------<BR>As far as I know, no Mig-27s fired LGBs or ASMs. They used cannon and rockets.<BR>Johann's e-mail clarifies why the Litening is being considered. Back to square one. <P>