Indian Telecom Folder

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 17 Feb 2020 18:30

what I said about karma wielding a sledgehammer. :mrgreen:



Image

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 17 Feb 2020 18:45

Press Trust of India @PTI_News

AGR: SC refuses to accept Vodafone's proposal to pay Rs 2,500 cr today, 1,000 cr by Friday and that no coercive action be taken against it
12:29 PM · Feb 17, 2020

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 13:23

why are so many people among the liberandus and ignorandus shedding tears for price gouging scum like vodaphone, airtel etc, even the "famed" tatas.


GOI gets a small percentage of every call made on any cell phone. This money is built into your plan and was being collected but what was owed to GOI was not being given.

Govt sought money from Telecom companies based on CAG Report of 2016. And Govt won the case in all forums.

game, set and match

Bart S
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2264
Joined: 15 Aug 2016 00:03

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Bart S » 18 Feb 2020 14:42

If Vodafone-Idea defaults or 'goes bankrupt' as they are threatening to, GOI should take over the company, retain operations and merge with BSNL+MTNL while bringing in expertise and efficiencies from the private firm.

A third provider is essential for the market, collapse of Vodafone Idea will result in severe knock on blows to Airtel (who share much of the tower infrastructure with them) and could result in a monopoly which is not healthy.

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 18 Feb 2020 14:43

This is not correct. License fee was set as a percentage of gross revenues. Telcos are already depositing all telecom revenue based fee.

DoT is demanding that gross revenues should include all revenues, not just from the calls. For example, if the telco had 2 other companies leasing it's tower then the rent/lease revenue must be included in the AGR. If the telco owned a large office building in which it rented out few rooms, that'll also be included.

What's curious is that RIL got its license under a different licensing regime and has escaped this bit. From what I've heard, they're the instigators for lot of this litigation as babus love a bit of samosa chai. I believe they should be made to pay for AGR including their petro revenues, then all this nonsense will stop.

Aditya_V
BRF Oldie
Posts: 11659
Joined: 05 Apr 2006 16:25

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Aditya_V » 18 Feb 2020 14:55

I thought RIl aldready deposited thier 195 crore since they came late into the business and are paying the full amount. They dont have arrears since they entered late.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 15:10

JTull wrote:This is not correct. License fee was set as a percentage of gross revenues. Telcos are already depositing all telecom revenue based fee.

DoT is demanding that gross revenues should include all revenues, not just from the calls. For example, if the telco had 2 other companies leasing it's tower then the rent/lease revenue must be included in the AGR. If the telco owned a large office building in which it rented out few rooms, that'll also be included.

What's curious is that RIL got its license under a different licensing regime and has escaped this bit. From what I've heard, they're the instigators for lot of this litigation as babus love a bit of samosa chai. I believe they should be made to pay for AGR including their petro revenues, then all this nonsense will stop.


why did they collect it from the customers and why did they not give it to the govt.

If they are giving it now, after the CAG audit and court judgements forcing them to do so, their criminal lapses are evident

If they have now made payments, then they are acknowledging that the CAG and the courts were right and the telcos were in the wrong

the severe cost and consequences of tangling with either of the motabhais are well known, be it the private sector motabhai or the govt sector motabhai :mrgreen:

India's Telecom Department thinks it is a law unto itself. It effectively stayed the Supreme Court's Oct. 24 order to recover $20.7 billion dues from telecom carriers by 23 January. Faced with contempt of court, the TD has reversed course. But the treasury has lost tens of million$ in interest income which now has to be covered by us the taxpayers.

was the TD sleeping or was it paid off.
Last edited by chetak on 18 Feb 2020 15:29, edited 1 time in total.

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 18 Feb 2020 15:16

Please read my previous post again. Let me repeat:

All companies have regularly deposited their license fee for their direct telecom business.

When universal licenses were handed out, the licensing fine-print included fee liability on ALL revenues (including non-telecom). Airtel, Idea, Vodafone availed of these licenses.

When RIL availed of 4G license, it had a different formula and does not include other revenue sources. Any arrears they've now paid were probably because they didn't pay even direct telecom liabilities.

I firmly believe RIL hand in getting DoT to enforce this AGR calculation for non-telecom revenues.

Thakur_B
BRFite
Posts: 1614
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Thakur_B » 18 Feb 2020 15:32

chetak wrote:
Thakur_B wrote:This policy of payment of revenue share from AGR instead of telecom business revenue is going to hit PSUs as well. Power Grid and Gail will end up owing several times (4-5 times) what Airtel and Vodafone Idea will.


The AGR money from the telecom guys will probably be used to recapitalize BSNL after they shed the deadwood via the VR package route.


Chetak ji, I think you are missing the point. As JTull jis has pointed out, when the allocation of spectrum was made, the fine print was sharing of a slice of AGR, not telecom revenue.

There are a few infrastructure companies that also took telecom licenses for network infrastructure (Railtel, GAIL and Power Grid). They have commercialised a part of that capacity for additional revenue, which however is a minor part of their AGR. GAIL has for example only earned rs 3500 cr from their telecom infra. However, as the revenue is to be calculated on AGR they might end up owing up to Rs. 2,50,000 Crores. Same with Power Grid.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 15:46

JTull wrote:Please read my previous post again. Let me repeat:

All companies have regularly deposited their license fee for their direct telecom business.

When universal licenses were handed out, the licensing fine-print included fee liability on ALL revenues (including non-telecom). Airtel, Idea, Vodafone availed of these licenses.

When RIL availed of 4G license, it had a different formula and does not include other revenue sources. Any arrears they've now paid were probably because they didn't pay even direct telecom liabilities.

I firmly believe RIL hand in getting DoT to enforce this AGR calculation for non-telecom revenues.


what's your point.

CAG made findings, the SC ruled in favor of the govt, enforced the ruling under threat of contempt of court, telecoms are paying/have paid up.

maybe motabhai has had his way. If so, it's all in a day's work for them. A behemoth does not rise in one single generation without some extensive environment management being done by the owners

vodaphone could have taken it to international arbitration. why did they not.

One suspects that the telecoms just do not have a leg to stand on.

OTOH, It's nothing new. India has always been ruled by fixers & brokers backed by netas.

Various dynasties and even the colonialists operated through them.

The policy makers, administrators, investigators and law & justice dispensers: ‘every man has a price’.

It’s a serial play with many acts and it never ends

All these companies have legal departments that are as big as some govt departments. They go through every contract with a fine tooth comb. If they have signed on the dotted line it's because they saw some value for themselves over and above what was written into the fine print of the contract.

too bad that the govt changed.

This is the telecom player's black swan, the one risk they never bothered to cover.

BTW, the govt could have unilaterally and retrospectively amended the terms of the universal licenses and the telecom players would not have objected.

That the govt did not speaks volumes as does their silence on the matter

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 18 Feb 2020 16:46

BTW, what is not being reported as aggressively is the following:

GST Council to take up Rs 35,000 crore refund for telecom companies

Telecom companies won’t get input tax credit refund of Rs 36,000 crore

Telcos are paying following to govt:
1. License fee
2. Service tax
3. GST reclaim not allowed
4. Income tax
5. MAT - minimum alternate tax

And on top of this, the pricing of their services are capped/regulated.

No wonder total revenues of (across all firms) in the industry are falling with no backend relief in sight. This golden goose is truly being killed!

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 18 Feb 2020 16:53

chetak wrote:what's your point.

CAG made findings, the SC ruled in favor of the govt, enforced the ruling under threat of contempt of court, telecoms are paying/have paid up.

SC ruling on final appeal only came recently. No point in getting riled up!

chetak wrote:maybe motabhai has had his way. If so, it's all in a day's work for them. A behemoth does not rise in one single generation without some extensive environment management being done by the owners

Without heavy dose of corruption, it wouldn't have got to where it is now. If you really want to name real entrepreneurial champions then Bharti Airtel, Infosys, etc are better examples.

chetak wrote:vodaphone could have taken it to international arbitration. why did they not.

They cannot as this is a domestic licensing contract and not an international agreement. But that hasn't stopped them from trying.

chetak wrote:One suspects that the telecoms just do not have a leg to stand on.

They've good reasons to challenge this fine-print.

chetak wrote:OTOH, It's nothing new. India has always been ruled by fixers & brokers backed by netas.

Various dynasties and even the colonialists operated through them.

The policy makers, administrators, investigators and law & justice dispensers: ‘every man has a price’.

It’s a serial play with many acts and it never ends

All these companies have legal departments that are as big as some govt departments. They go through every contract with a fine tooth comb. If they have signed on the dotted line it's because they saw some value for themselves over and above what was written into the fine print of the contract.

too bad that the govt changed.

This is the telecom player's black swan, the one risk they never bothered to cover.

BTW, the govt could have unilaterally and retrospectively amended the terms of the universal licenses and the telecom players would not have objected.

That the govt did not speaks volumes as does their silence on the matter


As above, there are valid reasons to challenge this fine-print that applies to all but one player in the market.

IMHO, one of vodafone and airtel won't be there in 5 years' time. And India will be poorer for it.

Adrija
BRFite
Posts: 297
Joined: 13 Mar 2007 19:42

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Adrija » 18 Feb 2020 17:19

JTull, it's unfortunately not so black and white- where did the telecom companies get the original money from to invest in these towers/ office blocks if it was not telecom revenue? These telecom companies started with only one asset- the telecom license and the associated right to use the spectrum, and ALL their earnings, and asset build up, are from that

And if "non-telecom revenue of telecom firms" is exempt, then companies will stop investing in furthering their telecom business and invest in (say) real estate, or even telecom towers, or even fixed deposits, and earn rents/ interests from those........ in fact that is exactly how tower firms became more profitable than their main customer, the telecom firms......... they don't pay the 8% license share whereas telecom firms do....... and all these towers were set up by telecom firms to begin with (again, from the revenue that they earned from telecom services). And then someone hit on a brilliant idea that we should separate these towers into a separate firm, so as to avoid the 8% license fee, whereas if we keep them as a part of the main company then any rental from these (to third parties) will end up getting added to AGR and attract the 8% revenue share...

While one can easily say that motabhai is responsible for all this, please do grant at least some level of intelligence to the courts- they have to justify the logic of their decisions and not just say "motabhai told us to"

And other telecom firms are equally well known for "managing" the environment...... one just needs to remember history of the early 2000s and how BSNL was made to not order for network expansion..

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 17:39

JTull wrote:
chetak wrote:


Without heavy dose of corruption, it wouldn't have got to where it is now. If you really want to name real entrepreneurial champions then Bharti Airtel, Infosys, etc are better examples.


both are congi/commie beholden and have followed the very same methodology as original motabhai in the management of the environment.

one simply pays off in ad money and the other in silent, benami equity and naqli "prizes" akin to a sadak chaap version of the nobel in addition to "supporting" soldout journos as well as presstitutes and one of the two is very definitely BIF connected.

one guy even wanted to become president until some very carefully constructed public personas took a huge hit when shady business practices a la radia were exposed.

Not much to choose between the three or indeed any of the other biggish players in the market infesting various industry sectors.

big money is definitely in play here

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 17:57

here is one smoking gun



Press Trust of India @PTI_News

The order of the Department of Telecom that had asked for no coercive action against telecom companies defaulting on statutory dues' payment was issued without the consent of Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and DoT secretary, say sources.

11:04 PM · Feb 14, 2020

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 18 Feb 2020 19:54

Adrija wrote:JTull, it's unfortunately not so black and white- where did the telecom companies get the original money from to invest in these towers/ office blocks if it was not telecom revenue? These telecom companies started with only one asset- the telecom license and the associated right to use the spectrum, and ALL their earnings, and asset build up, are from that


Wah, what a Lahori logic!

If you borrow from bank to buy a flat, do you then have to pay the bank until the flat remains in existence? Or, do you pay each of your employers from who's salaries you paid off the mortgage?

Telecom Revenues already were subjected to all the GoI levies as above. Once that's paid, the remaining capital belongs to the entrepreneur to do as he/she deems fit. He can pay that back to the shareholders as dividends, or he can invest in assets. GoI (DoT) has decided that they want a cut in revenues from everything that the company invests in, while exempting one elephant in the room.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 19:58

‘Telecom Not The Core Business Of Either GAIL, OIL Or PowerGrid, AGR Ruling Not Applicable To Non-Telco PSUs’: Pradhan https://swarajyamag.com/insta/telecom-n ... us-pradhan via @swarajyamag

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 18 Feb 2020 20:54

For those who think that telcos are not paying anything to GoI, pls checkout this link.

Bharti Airtel (India) paid following License fee / Spectrum charges
in 2017-18: 5,563.0 crore
in 2018-19: 4,946.5 crore

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 18 Feb 2020 20:56

chetak wrote:
‘Telecom Not The Core Business Of Either GAIL, OIL Or PowerGrid, AGR Ruling Not Applicable To Non-Telco PSUs’: Pradhan https://swarajyamag.com/insta/telecom-n ... us-pradhan via @swarajyamag


Essentially, this rule is to hurt competitors of RIL. There's no other purpose! DoT's revised guidelines in 2018 to specifically target them.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 23:25

JTull wrote:
chetak wrote:


Essentially, this rule is to hurt competitors of RIL. There's no other purpose! DoT's revised guidelines in 2018 to specifically target them.


these guys specialize in environment management.

It's how they keep their competitive edge

If anyone crosses them, it's business hara kiri and no one will even attend the funeral. No one has ever continued in their business to tell the tale. If anyone supports such guys, they too will have their business funeral.

Over the years, people have learned the hard way to recognize the early signs of displeasure and run like hell if they get the faintest whiff of it coming their way. motabhai's storm troopers never take prisoners, ever.

why is anyone surprised. some of the stories in the market are hair raising and all of them completely true.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 18 Feb 2020 23:41

JTull wrote:For those who think that telcos are not paying anything to GoI, pls checkout this link.

Bharti Airtel (India) paid following License fee / Spectrum charges
in 2017-18: 5,563.0 crore
in 2018-19: 4,946.5 crore


what we will not be able to figure out so easily is: How much of what they actually owed the govt that they did not pay but pocketed the difference after paying out a percentage to the baboo(n)s and the langurs

Nikhil T
BRFite
Posts: 1286
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 06:48
Location: RAW HQ, Lodhi Road

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Nikhil T » 19 Feb 2020 05:55

JTull wrote:IMHO, one of vodafone and airtel won't be there in 5 years' time. And India will be poorer for it.


+1.

chetak wrote:here is one smoking gun



Press Trust of India @PTI_News

The order of the Department of Telecom that had asked for no coercive action against telecom companies defaulting on statutory dues' payment was issued without the consent of Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and DoT secretary, say sources.

11:04 PM · Feb 14, 2020


Let's not be naive to say a file like that moved without the Secy's or Minister's approval. To say the contrary, is to ignore how our government works. This tweet is very similar to Meenakshi Lekhi claiming Govt was arguing for women to have permanent commission.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 19 Feb 2020 06:27

Nikhil T wrote:
JTull wrote:IMHO, one of vodafone and airtel won't be there in 5 years' time. And India will be poorer for it.


+1.

chetak wrote:here is one smoking gun





Let's not be naive to say a file like that moved without the Secy's or Minister's approval. To say the contrary, is to ignore how our government works. This tweet is very similar to Meenakshi Lekhi claiming Govt was arguing for women to have permanent commission.


that's why it's a smoking gun. :mrgreen:

the britshit companies are still swaggering about in India like they were still operating in the days of Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive of Plassey.

the fools have yet to figure out the elementary truth that long ago english motabhais were replaced by Indian motabhais.

Nikhil T
BRFite
Posts: 1286
Joined: 09 Nov 2008 06:48
Location: RAW HQ, Lodhi Road

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Nikhil T » 19 Feb 2020 07:25

^ Understood now, saar. Sorry for the friendly fire :)

Adrija
BRFite
Posts: 297
Joined: 13 Mar 2007 19:42

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Adrija » 19 Feb 2020 08:25

Sorry JTull, not sure who's exhibiting the Lahori logic here:
1. Let's not (deliberately?) confuse capital and revenues here- capital is from retained earnings, which is what remains AFTER you pay off all dues from your revenue (including government dues). And for better or for worse, the government asked for AGR, not just telecom revenues (for reasons I explained earlier), and all the telcos accepted that at the time of the shift to revenue share from fixed fee.

So to take your own analogy, the telcos did not borrow to "buy" the flat, they took it on rent from sarkar (which incidentally is also legally correct- the license merely allows "use" of spectrum, not own it); and part of the rental agreement was that they would pay share to govt of all earnings they made from using the flat, including sub-letting etc etc. Now they are claiming that "sub letting of a particular type only" is subject to rental share

2. Further, if there was a dispute in the interpretation of AGR, then prudent accounting requires you to provision for it each year. But no, that would have diluted EBITDA and earnings and market cap......... so not sure who is the guilty party here.

The telcos are shedding false tears after having feasted at the party at minimal investment from their side........ in that respect at least motabhai is correct that Indian telecom has been underinvested and hence has served the nation poorly...... witness how the telcos were dragging out 3G and not investing in 4G till such time he forced them to

If VF angrez bahadur read the market wrong, and brown bahadur AVB wanted to ride the telcom boom without investing adequately, then them going out of business to a better funded competitor is just the market at work....... and if there is space for a third player then someone will come in

last post from my side on this

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 19 Feb 2020 13:14

Buddy, a company can do anything with cash on its balance sheet. It can buy assets or it can spend on employees, it can retire debt or it can return it to its equity investors.

There is a cost to all these avenues (except perhaps debt retirement). Either GST, dividend tax, income tax, etc.

If assets are purchased then, no one but the investor (equity or debt) has a right on the revenues from these. It goes against the fundamental principles of private enterprise.

If the company becomes insolvent then DoT can stand in the queue like everyone else to gets its share. Not before.

AGR is a vaguely defined in license. DoT has changed the definition. That's the gripe. SC has ruled that DoT is well within its rights to define AGR how it pleases. So, telcos have no choice.

It's now upto GoI to clear this up. But if Airtel is willing and able to pay, then Vodafone won't get any special treatment. I expect it to die slowly. Or the Chinese will own majority of our market soon.

This whole episode hits at the core of ease of doing business. Whenever Govt sides with one competitor then everyone loses. You just have to look at the industry's size of debt! This has the potential to bring us down to 2% GDP growth rate for 10 years. I'm not exaggerating. Result of one person's greed and power.

Thakur_B
BRFite
Posts: 1614
Joined: 11 Aug 2016 06:14

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Thakur_B » 19 Feb 2020 14:01

JTull wrote:
If the company becomes insolvent then DoT can stand in the queue like everyone else to gets its share. Not before.



Government dues take first priority. Rest everyone has to que up.

nandakumar
BRFite
Posts: 1101
Joined: 10 May 2010 13:37

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby nandakumar » 19 Feb 2020 14:54

Thakur_B wrote:
JTull wrote:
If the company becomes insolvent then DoT can stand in the queue like everyone else to gets its share. Not before.



Government dues take first priority. Rest everyone has to que up.

This has to be specifically provided for in the Companies Act as 'arrears of land revenue' or some other statute which creates an obligation in favour of the Government.

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 19 Feb 2020 14:54

Thakur_B wrote:
JTull wrote:
If the company becomes insolvent then DoT can stand in the queue like everyone else to gets its share. Not before.



Government dues take first priority. Rest everyone has to que up.


For taxes, yes. I'm not so sure about license fees as they may be treated like royalties, which probably one of the lower precedence claims

Perhaps the answer is in Reliance Communications case before NCLAT. They owe 16,450 crore to DOT in AGR dues but aren't even listed in the claims in front of NCLAT. Only 21crore spectrum charges are listed.

nandakumar
BRFite
Posts: 1101
Joined: 10 May 2010 13:37

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby nandakumar » 19 Feb 2020 14:59

JTull wrote:Buddy, a company can do anything with cash on its balance sheet. It can buy assets or it can spend on employees, it can retire debt or it can return it to its equity investors.

There is a cost to all these avenues (except perhaps debt retirement). Either GST, dividend tax, income tax, etc.

If assets are purchased then, no one but the investor (equity or debt) has a right on the revenues from these. It goes against the fundamental principles of private enterprise.

If the company becomes insolvent then DoT can stand in the queue like everyone else to gets its share. Not before.

AGR is a vaguely defined in license. DoT has changed the definition. That's the gripe. SC has ruled that DoT is well within its rights to define AGR how it pleases. So, telcos have no choice.

It's now upto GoI to clear this up. But if Airtel is willing and able to pay, then Vodafone won't get any special treatment. I expect it to die slowly. Or the Chinese will own majority of our market soon.

This whole episode hits at the core of ease of doing business. Whenever Govt sides with one competitor then everyone loses. You just have to look at the industry's size of debt! This has the potential to bring us down to 2% GDP growth rate for 10 years. I'm not exaggerating. Result of one person's greed and power.

No, DoT didn't change the definition unilaterally. It was mutually agreed to by the Government and the telecom companies when telecom companies desperately wanted to migrate from a fixed license fee regime to a revenue share one. The Supreme Court merely that it was so agreed by the parties to the contract.

Rahulsidhu
BRFite
Posts: 156
Joined: 22 Mar 2017 06:19

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Rahulsidhu » 19 Feb 2020 16:29

Thakur_B wrote:
JTull wrote:
If the company becomes insolvent then DoT can stand in the queue like everyone else to gets its share. Not before.



Government dues take first priority. Rest everyone has to que up.


why?

Adrija
BRFite
Posts: 297
Joined: 13 Mar 2007 19:42

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby Adrija » 19 Feb 2020 16:50

JTull ji, I did say last post, but this level of obfuscation does deserve an answer

First, please do not confuse- this is NOT about cash on the balance sheet. This is P&L- government dues on revenue share are first claim, even before employee costs, establishment costs, interest, tax (yes, tax!) etc etc....... in any conservative accounting these would actually be taken off Gross Revenue to come to a Net Revenue figure. All other charges come later.... and this is much much much before it goes to earnings and then to Balance Sheet, where you have conveniently placed it to begin with and confuse everyone

I do hope you are aware of the difference between a P&L statement and a Balance Sheet

So this is not about government standing in line with other normal creditors- this is a reduction off the top line (revenue)

Secondly, even if I assume that what you said is correct about DoT changing the definition of AGR unilaterally (which is actually not factually correct BTW), what stopped the telcos from provisioning it as per prudent accounting practice?

And you point of D/E being out of whack is precisely proving my point- that all telcos have tried to play in the party while not investing adequately

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 19 Feb 2020 18:51

twitter


Liberals on twitter will prepare and argue about a SC judgment on Telecom AGR.

The only problem is that
1. They argue on twitter.
2. They think lawyers of Telco co did not have brains or did not put forth similar and/or better arguments in the courts

JTull
BRF Oldie
Posts: 2734
Joined: 18 Jul 2001 11:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby JTull » 20 Feb 2020 04:46

Adrija, your assertion on govt having first claim is not evidenced in RCOM bankruptcy proceedings.

Secondly, license migration indeed required specified fee on AGR, but definition of AGR has been revised 2-3 times (DoT may claim that it has clarified instead of revised), with latest one issued in 2018. SC has accepted that license agreement allows for DoT to do so, consequently telcos are liable.

chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 20 Feb 2020 12:40

J. Gopikrishnan is the Indian journalist who wrote series of reports on the 2G case. He was awarded the Ramnath Goenka Journalist of the Year Award in print in 2012.

His first report on 2G case appeared in ‘The Pioneer" which is well known to be BJP’s mouthpiece, English newspaper on 11 December 2008, exposing the hidden list of companies floated by the relatives of then telecom minister A.Raja. In "The Pioneer", J Gopikrishnan had continuously written series of reports on various aspects of 2G case and Aircel-Maxis Scam and other related reports on the violations of the telecom scandal and the politico- corporate players involved in it for three years. "The Pioneer" had published more than 200 reports on the telecom scandal which shook the Indian government led by the Congress party leading to the electoral drubbing in 2014. Gopikrishnan’s major reports on the 2G case, which rocked the ruling Congress led UPA

watch how Telecom companies played tricks and at last caught by CAG & Supreme Court on dues to Government :



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THu4mO6p5ME



J Gopikrishnan on how Telecom companies avoided paying the GOI's share of the income




chetak
BRF Oldie
Posts: 21843
Joined: 16 May 2008 12:00

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby chetak » 21 Feb 2020 19:00

beggars are really trying to become choosers.

all sorts of trial balloons being floated


#AGR dues to Govt can be put in the #telecom fund & given as loans by Govt to the telcos, say sources.

arvin
BRFite
Posts: 309
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 21:26

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby arvin » 21 Feb 2020 21:09

Jio's debt and liabilities doesnt look too rosy either. Cant be a coincidence that media in both digital and print is focusing too much on AGR owed by voda and airtel, while little is discussed about the liabilities of jio. Not a pretty scene in telecom sector.

arvin
BRFite
Posts: 309
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 21:26

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby arvin » 25 Feb 2020 08:13

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 275440.cms

KOLKATA: Vodafone Idea (VIL) will not be able to cash out of the Bharti Infratel-Indus Towers merged entity early enough to generate money to help pay off a bigger part of its huge adjusted gross revenue (AGR) dues by March 17, the deadline set by the Supreme Court. This was stated by industry executives and analysts.

hanumadu
BRF Oldie
Posts: 4619
Joined: 11 Nov 2002 12:31

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby hanumadu » 25 Feb 2020 10:21

arvin wrote:Jio's debt and liabilities doesnt look too rosy either. Cant be a coincidence that media in both digital and print is focusing too much on AGR owed by voda and airtel, while little is discussed about the liabilities of jio. Not a pretty scene in telecom sector.


Didn't Reliance get 15 billion dollars from stake sale in the oil vertical to Saudi Arabia? Reliance said they would be a zero debt company soon.

arvin
BRFite
Posts: 309
Joined: 17 Aug 2016 21:26

Re: Indian Telecom Folder

Postby arvin » 25 Feb 2020 12:00

The sale is not done yet as of today and had hit a roadblock by way of GOI petition in court 2 months back. Some issue related to panna mukta field production sharing contract.


Return to “Technology & Economic Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rajkumar and 9 guests