Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Re: Indian Sports and Entertainment Industry

Post by SBajwa »

Asian hockey Champions trophy (Chennai August 5th - August 12th)
Rank Team Played Won Draw Lost Points GF GA GD
1* India 3 2 1 0 7 13 3 +10
2* Malaysia 3 2 0 1 6 8 7 +1
3* S Korea 3 1 2 0 5 4 3 +1
4* Japan 3 0 2 1 2 5 6 -1
5 Pakistan 3 0 2 1 2 5 7 -2
6 China 3 0 1 2 1 4 13 -9
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

vera_k wrote: 05 Aug 2023 22:44 One cannot blame them if the GoI is taking it easy. In fact, GoI needs to impose a ban on any sports participation in China while stapled visas are a thing. Since doing otherwise means that the GoI is discriminating against its own citizens by offering more opportunities to some than others.
I think there is individual responsibility as well. The coaches should have thought through before showing up with their team at the airport. If the coaches want to go by hook or crook to another country, they will try to get around the rules.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India defeats Korea 3-2 in Asian Hockey championship. Next match vs Pakis on Wednesday.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India defeats naPak 4-0.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

India vs Malaysia Highlights Asian Champions Trophy 2023 Final: India sealed a 4-3 win vs Malaysia to clinch their record-fourth ACT trophy, at the Mayor Radhakrishnan Stadium in Chennai on Saturday. Initially, Jugraj Singh scored in the first quarter to give India an early lead, but Kamal Abu Arzai equalised to make it 1-1. Then in the second quarter, Razie Rahim converted a penalty corner to make it 2-1 for Malaysia. Then Aminudin Muhamad struck late in the second quarter via a penalty corner to make 3-1 for the visitors. In the third quarter, Harmanpreet Singh converted a penalty stroke to make it 2-3 and then Gurjant came up with the equaliser. With the score 3-3, Akashdeep came up with a late winner to help India clinch their record-fourth ACT title.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Great going India.
Olympic gold is the next target!!
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

SBajwa wrote: 06 Aug 2023 01:29 Aditi Gopichand makes history, gives India its first-ever individual gold medal at World Archery Championships

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... aign=cppst
Video here:

And of Ojas Deotale
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

What about recurve?
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

For those interested in chess, in the ongoing FIDE world cup, 4 out of 8 quarter finalists are from India. 3 of them are teenagers. Gukesh is poised to be in top 10 if official ratings (already no 7 in live ratings) and unseat Anand as top Indian player after nearly 35 years.

Huge moment for Indian chess.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Discovered a carnatic singer called Charulata Mani on YouTube by pure accident. Got totally floored. Highly recommended if you are interested.

Added later: Apparently she has been very well known for a couple of decades as per wiki. Shows how ignorant I am and how vast and endless our galaxy of artists is !
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

Wrestler Antim Panghal makes history with back-to-back U20 world titles
NEW DELHI: Antim Panghal on Friday created history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win back-to-back U20 world titles as she defended her 53kg crown, combining her tremendous agility and strength for a stupendous feat.
Panghal, who hails from Hisar in Haryana, dominated her Ukrainian rival Mariia Yefremova in her facile 4-0 win. She fought with such ferocity and authority that in the entire tournament she conceded only two points.
That she is the one for the future in this category was evident.
She proved that it was not overconfidence when she challenged Vinesh Phogat for Asian Games trials, repeating time and again that she could beat the decorated senior wrestler in the trials and she should not have been given a direct entry.
Panghal had become the first Indian woman grappler last year to win a junior world championship title and has already had a smooth transition to the senior circuit.
She did not give an inch to Yefremova, foiling her leg attacks with remarkable presence of mind.
Panghal was quick with her movements and her double-leg attacks, employed with her tremendous strength, had the Ukrainian gasping.
She sealed the bout with a right-leg attack which she converted into a take-down move.
Reena took the 57kg bronze with a 9-4 win over Kazakhstan's Shugyla Omirbek. She was leading 5-0 and survived last-minute drama to seal her place on the podium. Earlier during the day, she won two repechage rounds to get to the medal round.
Savita (62kg) and Antim Kundu (65kg) are also in contention for gold medals.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Indian women team wins Gold at 10M Air Rifle ISSF tournament at Baku, China silver, Germany Bronze
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

World Athletic Championships are going on in Budapest.
India has sent a team of 27 athletes, 23 men and 4 women (only?!).
Hoping they all do well and better their pbs.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

Pragg in Chess World Cup finals to face Magnus!
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

First game between Pragg and Carlsen ends in a draw after 35 moves. Tomorrow is the second game.
saip
BRF Oldie

Post by saip »

Second game too ended in a draw. Waiting for Pragyan to come out on the moon, while waiting for Praggnanandhaa to win tomorrow.
V_Raman
BRFite

Post by V_Raman »

Cyrano wrote: 17 Aug 2023 00:12 Discovered a carnatic singer called Charulata Mani on YouTube by pure accident. Got totally floored. Highly recommended if you are interested.

Added later: Apparently she has been very well known for a couple of decades as per wiki. Shows how ignorant I am and how vast and endless our galaxy of artists is !
Her series of videos on carnatic ragas in tamil film music is awesome!
Ashokk
BRFite

Post by Ashokk »

'A historic day': Three Indian javelin throwers storm into World Championships final
NEW DELHI: A historic achievement unfolded on Friday as Indian javelin throwers Neeraj Chopra, DP Manu, and Kishore Jena scripted a remarkable chapter by all qualifying for the final of the World Championships. Their exceptional performances during the qualification round not only secured their spots in the prestigious final but also marked a significant milestone for Indian athletics.
"For the first time three Indians have qualified for the final round of an event in World Championships. It has never happened before. It's a historic day for Indian javelin," a team coach in the Indian contingent told PTI.
Neeraj Chopra, the reigning Olympic champion, showcased his prowess with a spectacular first-attempt throw of 88.77m. This single throw not only assured his place in the final but also easily surpassed the Paris Olympics qualifying mark of 85.50m. With his automatic qualification secured, Chopra wisely chose to conserve his energy for the final showdown scheduled for Sunday.
DP Manu demonstrated his mettle with a best throw of 81.31m, securing a commendable third position in the qualification round and a solid sixth position overall. Kishore Jena, who faced initial visa challenges, overcame the odds to secure the fifth spot in Group B and an impressive ninth position overall with a throw of 80.55m, making his debut in the World Championships.
Reflecting on his performance, Neeraj Chopra shared, "During the warm-up I felt the power and knew I could make it with only one throw. It felt great releasing the javelin and the result was very satisfying. I was able to save energy for the final since I threw with only 90 per cent effort. I will definitely give everything in the final as I would like to have a world gold as well (as one from the Olympic Games)."
The triumphant qualification of all three Indian athletes underscores the nation's growing presence and excellence in the world of javelin throwing. With their collective achievements, Indian sports enthusiasts have even more reason to celebrate, as the trio's success opens new avenues for the country on the international stage.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

H S Prannoy beats No 1 Victor Axelsen to reach semis of badminton world championships. Axelsen has been a tough nut to crack for Indians and others. They might have finally found a template to beat him, though it seemed obvious that these tactics should have been tried at least 2 years ago if not before.

Prannoy has been in great form this year but lost to Axelsen in a previous super 1000 finals.
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Indian 4x400 mens team qualified for the finals of the world athletic championships coming second in Heat 1 only 18/100 seconds behind USA. Unbelievable. Hope nobody is doping.
AkshaySG
BRFite

Post by AkshaySG »

^^ Absolutely unnecessary comment on doping, How is that the first thing that comes to one's mind after watching the athletes do great work.

Great race from Team India, New national and Asian record in 4x400.. Really exciting times ahead for Indian athletics despite a lot of incompetence shown by the various sporting federations.

However it's clear that some of the grassroot development and infrastructure improvements done in the last decade or so is starting to show results
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

AkshaySG wrote: 27 Aug 2023 00:54 ^^ Absolutely unnecessary comment on doping, How is that the first thing that comes to one's mind after watching the athletes do great work.
Once bitten, twice shy. Just recently one female athlete was banned for 4 years for doing. There has been at least one weightlifter banned for doping before. Not just Indians, foreign athletes too have been found doping. The temptation must be too much. So, I always have that uneasy feeling at the back of my mind.
Jay
BRFite

Post by Jay »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnekMuaSXs

We gave US a run for their money! Great race.
arshyam
BRF Oldie

Post by arshyam »

hanumadu wrote: 27 Aug 2023 01:15
AkshaySG wrote: 27 Aug 2023 00:54 ^^ Absolutely unnecessary comment on doping, How is that the first thing that comes to one's mind after watching the athletes do great work.
Once bitten, twice shy. Just recently one female athlete was banned for 4 years for doing. There has been at least one weightlifter banned for doping before. Not just Indians, foreign athletes too have been found doping. The temptation must be too much. So, I always have that uneasy feeling at the back of my mind.
Why have that uneasy feeling only for Indian athletes? What about the Americans, who finished just ahead?

Granted, doping is an issue in sports around the world, but only Indians tend to self-flagellate like this whenever any positive accomplishment is reported. And some double down on their "hunch", when challenged!
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

arshyam wrote: 27 Aug 2023 09:30
hanumadu wrote: 27 Aug 2023 01:15

Why have that uneasy feeling only for Indian athletes? What about the Americans, who finished just ahead?

Granted, doping is an issue in sports around the world, but only Indians tend to self-flagellate like this whenever any positive accomplishment is reported. And some double down on their "hunch", when challenged!
I don't believe others are honest either except that I don't care about others. 'Hunch' is your word, not mine. The concern is about the frailties of the human mind and Indians have shown we are not immune to it.
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

Najunamar wrote: 21 Aug 2023 22:22 Pragg in Chess World Cup finals to face Magnus!
Smile and Pride!

PM Modi has congratulated and told him whole India is proud (and even he did not win in the final... games were excellent)..
nash
BRFite

Post by nash »

https://twitter.com/narendramodi/status ... 0296149287

From 2:00 onward, is that kind of push allowed ?
Aldonkar
BRFite

Post by Aldonkar »

Great race from Team India, New national and Asian record in 4x400.. Really exciting times ahead for Indian athletics despite a lot of incompetence shown by the various sporting federations.

However it's clear that some of the grassroot development and infrastructure improvements done in the last decade or so is starting to show results
There were a few other Indian athletes in various heats; a chap in the 3000m Steeplechase (who did quite well) but did not qualify for the finals, and a girl in one of the runs maybe the 400m. I am not very good with names.

India is making its appearance in the world.

(Edit) I have since read some of the references to doping. On the channel I was watching, there were no such comments. All the athletes were assumed clean. I saw the relay team and it was a heat. They are now in the final and will have a better american team as well as others in the final.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Jay wrote: 27 Aug 2023 08:34 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEnekMuaSXs

We gave US a run for their money! Great race.
Thanks for posting. Unbelievable race, and they had the lead for a brief moment. Can hope they win it all in the finals now.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

Gold for Neeraj Chopra 88.72M
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

Yep! He got the Pakistani silver medalist under his Indian flag :D

By the way, the tv telecast showed launch parameters as 28.68 m/s and angle as 34.12°

We are taught in school that for Max range, a projectile must be thrown at 45° angle. Then why is this not the case for a javelin? Because of the shape?
hanumadu
BRF Oldie

Post by hanumadu »

Cyrano wrote: 28 Aug 2023 14:15 Yep! He got the Pakistani silver medalist under his Indian flag :D

By the way, the tv telecast showed launch parameters as 28.68 m/s and angle as 34.12°

We are taught in school that for Max range, a projectile must be thrown at 45° angle. Then why is this not the case for a javelin? Because of the shape?
That's ideal conditions, i.e., without air resistance, IIRC.
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

45 degrees throw will be best where there is no resistance (air, friction) ., on earth depending upon the conditions Javelin Athletes alter their throw between 28-45 degrees. That's why they win medals because they can read the environment and alter their sporting activity after making sure they have physical ability. Same with many other sports like golf, baseball and cricket.
Najunamar
BRFite

Post by Najunamar »

I read that he was still quite a ways from the foul throw line indicating a potential for 90+ metres...
srin
BRF Oldie

Post by srin »

Here's the video.

Actually, I thought that the Pakistani guy wasn't putting too much effort and yet came close. Neeraj Chopra needs to hit 90m to fortify his position.
Shwetank
BRFite

Post by Shwetank »

srin wrote: 29 Aug 2023 07:33 Here's the video.

Actually, I thought that the Pakistani guy wasn't putting too much effort and yet came close. Neeraj Chopra needs to hit 90m to fortify his position.
Neeraj was looked about a meter and some away from line when he released, that alone means he was throwing about 90
Shwetank
BRFite

Post by Shwetank »

Shwetank wrote: 29 Aug 2023 07:40
srin wrote: 29 Aug 2023 07:33 Here's the video.

Neeraj looked about a meter and some away from line when he released, that alone means he was throwing about 90
SBajwa
BRF Oldie

Post by SBajwa »

SRK's latest movie Jawan is promoting Anarchy (Copy of Spainish series Money Heist where protagonist is holding up a national mint and using his tactics to sway public opinion against government, police, etc)., as well as is trying to influence the next election against NAMO. Movie ends with SRK sitting in front of EVM machines urging people to think before voting. This movies totally puts the communist agenda forward with negative portrayal of the business houses. It has shown farmers against the big business houses. Please boycott this movie.
SriKumar
BRF Oldie

Post by SriKumar »

^^^ Wish I had seen this yesterday in time. I watched the movie and it was very difficult to sit through it after 30 minutes. Predictable and over-dramatic. The message was clearly political... farmers' suicides, loan forgiveness etc. Coming 8 months before an election, it tries to be neutral about the criticisms, though one has to assess the neutrality of someone who is an internationally known personality, who publicly claimed intolerance in India just 8 years ago, thrives in the same society he claimed is intolerant, make movies successfully but has not retracted any of those comments. But India has freedom of speech, so he is within his right to...
fanne
BRF Oldie

Post by fanne »

Huh you need more knowledge/reason to avoid urduwood?