J & K news and discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
svinayak
BRF Oldie

Re: J & K news and discussion

Post by svinayak »

JE Menon wrote:
If the Tibet PR disaster (and it truly is a sad case) can be handled by the Chinese without much difficulty, i fail to see where our much gentler handling of Kashmir which is a part of India can be a PR disaster of any magnitude.
Chinese policy on Tibet is actually secretly supported by western press. This is evident and there are enough clues. They give lip service to Tibet struggle and tibet independence. Has PRC influenced with money to get the press what it wants in the west. It may be true and this pattern can be studied.

Once this is clear then most of the western press attitude over Kashmir becomes evident.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Kashmir's bizarre new “normal”

Praveen Swami

http://www.hindu.com/2010/07/23/stories ... 871400.htm
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Demoralized & helpless, J&K cops refuse field duty

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 203301.cms
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

It appears nothing will change in J&K unless the demographics of the state change. Flood J&K with Indians from other states then let's see how loud the 'Azaadi' cry is.

But of course article 370 stands in our way and no political party, either from the right, centre or left ,has the balls to implement this.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

Does Article 370 forbid people from migrating to the state? I know that people from other states can't buy land. But can't they start businesses too?
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

Prasad wrote:Does Article 370 forbid people from migrating to the state? I know that people from other states can't buy land. But can't they start businesses too?
You can read it all, not very long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_370
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Ok dear all, lets get basic text out of the way and we can refer to it as and when needed.

Article 370 of Constitution of India
(Part XXI.—Temporary, Transitional and Special
Provisions
.—Art. 370.)

1[370. (1) Notwithstanding anything in this Constitution,—
(a) the provisions of article 238 shall not apply in relation to the State of Jammu and Kashmir;
( 238 repealed by 7th Amendment)

(b) the power of Parliament to make laws for the said State shall be limited to—

(i) those matters in the Union List (UL)and the Concurrent List(CL) which, in consultation with the Government of the State, are declared by the President to correspond to matters specified in the Instrument of Accession (IOA) governing the accession of the State to the Dominion of India as the matters with respect to which the Dominion Legislature may make laws for that State; and ( i.e. those matters in UL and CL which correspond to matters listed in IOA)

(ii) such other matters in the said Lists as, with the concurrence of the Government of the State, the President may by order specify. ( i.e. those matters which do not correspond to matters listed in IOA)
Explanation.—For the purposes of this article, the Government of the State means the person for the time being recognised by the President as the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir acting on the advice of the Council of Ministers for the time being in office under the
Maharaja’s Proclamation dated the fifth day of March, 1948;

(c) the provisions of article 1 and of this article shall apply in relation to that State;

(d) such of the other provisions of this Constitution shall apply in relation to that State subject to such exceptions and modifications as the President may by order specify:

Provided that no such order which relates to the matters specified in the Instrument of Accession of the State referred to in paragraph (i) of sub-clause (b) shall be issued except in consultation with the Government of the State:
Provided further that no such order which relates to matters other than those referred to in the last preceding proviso shall be issued except with the concurrence of that Government.

(2) If the concurrence of the Government of the State referred to in paragraph (ii) of sub-clause (b) of clause (1) or in the second proviso to sub-clause (d) of that clause be given before the Constituent Assembly for the purpose of framing the Constitution of the State is convened, it shall be placed before such Assembly for such decision as it may take thereon.

(3) Notwithstanding anything in the foregoing provisions of this article, the President may, by public notification, declare that this article shall cease to be operative or shall be operative only with such exceptions and modifications and from such date as he may specify:

Provided that the recommendation of the Constituent Assembly of the State referred to in clause (2) shall be necessary before the President issues such a notification.
1In exercise of the powers conferred by this article the President, on the recommendation of the Constituent Assembly of the State of Jammu and Kashmir, declared that, as from the 17th day of November, 1952, the said art. 370 shall be operative with the modification that for the Explanation in cl. (1) thereof, the following Explanation is substituted, namely:—
“Explanation.—For the purposes of this article, the Government of the State means the person for the time being recognised by the President on the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly of the State as the *Sadar-I-Riyasat of Jammu and Kashmir,
acting on the advice of the Council of Ministers of the State for the time being in office.”. (Ministry of Law Order No. C.O. 44, dated the 15th November, 1952). *Now “Governor”.
APPENDIX I
1THE CONSTITUTION (APPLICATION TO JAMMU
AND KASHMIR) ORDER, 1954
C.O. 48
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (1) of article 370 of the Constitution, the President, with the concurrence of the Government of the State of Jammu and Kashmir, is pleased to make the following Order:—
1. (1) This Order may be called the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954.
(2) It shall come into force on the fourteenth day of May, 1954, and shall thereupon supersede the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1950.
{snip}
“35A. Saving of laws with respect to permanent residents and their rights.—
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Constitution, no existing law in force in the State of Jammu and Kashmir, and no law hereafter enacted by the Legislature of the State,—
(a) defining the classes of persons who are, or shall be, permanent residents of the State of Jammu and Kashmir; or
(b) conferring on such permanent residents any special rights and privileges or imposing upon other persons any restrictions
as respects—
(i) employment under the State Government;
(ii) acquisition of immovable property in the State;
(iii) settlement in the State; or
(iv) right to scholarships and such other forms of aid as the State Government may provide,
shall be void on the ground that it is inconsistent with or takes away or abridges any rights conferred on the other citizens of India by any provision of this Part.”.

{snip}

“248. Residuary powers of legislation.—Parliament has exclusive power to make any law with respect to—
7[(a) prevention of activities involving terrorist acts directed towards overawing the Government as by law established or striking
terror in the people or any section of the people or alienating any section of the people or adversely affecting the harmony amongst
different sections of the people;]
8[(aa)]9[prevention of other activities] directed towards disclaiming, questioning or disrupting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of India or bringing about cession of a part of the territory of India or secession of a part of the territory of India from the Union
or causing insult to the Indian National Flag, the Indian National Anthem and this Constitution; and
(b) taxes on—
(i) foreign travel by sea or air;
(ii) inland air travel;
(iii) postal articles, including money orders, phonograms and telegrams.”.
1[Explanation.—In this article, “terrorist act” means any act or thing by using bombs, dynamite or other explosive substances or inflammable substances or firearms or other lethal weapons or poisons or noxious gases or other chemicals or any other substances (whether biological or otherwise) of a hazardous nature.]

2[(bb) In article 249, in clause (1), for the words “any matter enumerated in the State List specified in the resolution”, the words “any matter specified in the resolution, being a matter which is not enumerated in the Union List or in the Concurrent List” shall be substituted.]]
(c) In article 250, for the words “to any of the matters enumerated in the State List”, the words “also to matters not enumerated in the Union List” shall be substituted.
3* * * * *
(e) To article 253, the following proviso shall be added, namely:—
“Provided that after the commencement of the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954, no decision affecting
the disposition of the State of Jammu and Kashmir shall be made by the Government of India without the consent of the Government of that State.”.

5[(g)] Article 256 shall be re-numbered as clause (1) of that article, and the following new clause shall be added thereto, namely:—
“(2) The State of Jammu and Kashmir shall so execise its executive power as to facilitate the discharge by the Union of its duties and
responsibilities under the Constitution in relation to that State; and in particular, the said State shall, if so required by the Union, acquire or requisition property on behalf and at the expense of the Union, or if the property belongs to the State, transfer it to the Union on such terms as may be agreed, or in default of agreement, as may be determined by an arbitrator appointed by the Chief Justice of India.”.
{snip}
1[(b)] To article 367, there shall be added the following clause, namely:—
“(4) For the purposes of this Constitution as it applies in relation to the State of Jammu and Kashmir—
{snip}
4[(d)] references to the permanent residents of the said State shall be construed as meaning persons who, before the commencement of the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954 were recognised as State subjects under the laws in force in the State or who are recognised by any law made by the Legislature of the State as permanent residents of the State;
{snip}
1[(a)] 2[To clause (2) of article 368], the following proviso shall be added, namely:—
“Provided further that no such amendment shall have effect in relation to the State of Jammu and Kashmir unless applied by order of the President under clause (1) of article 370.”.
{snip}
2[(22) SEVENTH SCHEDULE.
(a) In the Union List—
{snip}

3[(ii) entries 8, 9 4[and 34], 5*** entry 79, and the words “Inter-State migration” in entry 81 shall be omitted;]
{snip}

(b) Article 81.—For clauses (2) and (3), substitute the following clauses, namely:—
“(2) For the purposes of sub-clause (a) of clause (1),—
(a) there shall be allotted to the State six seats in the House of the People;
(b) the State shall be divided into single-member territorial constituencies by the Delimitation Commission constituted under
the Delimitation Act, 1972, in accordance with such procedure as the Commission may deem fit;
(c) the constituencies shall, as far as practicable, be geographically compact areas, and in delimiting them regard shall be had to physical features, existing boundaries of administrative units, facilities of communication and public convenience; and
(d) the constituencies into which the State is divided shall not comprise the area under the occupation of Pakistan.

{snip}
Article 368.—
(a) in clause (2), add the following further proviso, namely:—
“Provided further that no such amendment shall have effect in relation to the State of Jammu and Kashmir unless applied by
order of the President under clause (1) of article 370.”;

(b) Omit clauses (4) and (5) and after clause (3) add the following clause, namely :—
“(4) No law made by the Legislature of the State of Jammu and Kashmir seeking to make any change in or in the effect of any provision of the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir relating to:—
(a) appointment, powers, functions, duties, emoluments, allowances, privileges or immunities of the Governor; or
(b) superintendence, direction and control of elections by the Election Commission of India, eligibility for inclusion in the electoral
rolls without discrimination, adult suffrage and composition of the Legislative Council, being matters specified in sections 138, 139,
140 and 50 of the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir, shall have any effect unless such law has, after having been reserved for
the consideration of the President, received his assent.”.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

1. (1) India, that is Bharat, shall be a Union of States.
1[(2) The States and the territories thereof shall be as specified in the First Schedule.]
(3) The territory of India shall comprise—
(a) the territories of the States;
2[(b) the Union territories specified in the First Schedule; and]
(c) such other territories as may be acquired.
We are lucky that this applies. :D
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

INSTRUMENT OF ACCESSION
Instrument of Accession executed by Maharajah Hari Singh on October 26, 1947

Whereas the Indian Independence Act, 1947, provides that as from the fifteenth day of August, 1947, there shall be set up an independent Dominion known as INDIA, and that the Government of India Act 1935, shall with such omissions, additions, adaptations and modifications as the Governor General may by order specify, be applicable to the Dominion of India.

And whereas the Government of India Act, 1935, as so adapted by the Governor General, provides that an Indian State may accede to the Dominion of India by an Instrument of Accession executed by the Ruler thereof.

Now, therefore, I Shriman Inder Mahinder Rajrajeswar Maharajadhiraj Shri Hari Singhji, Jammu & Kashmir Naresh Tatha Tibbet adi Deshadhipati, Ruler of Jammu & Kashmir State, in the exercise of my Sovereignty in and over my said State do hereby execute this my Instrument of Accession and

1. I hereby declare that I accede to the Dominion of India with the intent that the Governor General of India, the Dominion Legislature, the Federal Court and any other Dominion authority established for the purposes of the Dominion shall by virtue of this my Instrument of Accession but subject always to the terms thereof, and for the purposes only of the Dominion, exercise in relation to the State of Jammu & Kashmir (hereinafter referred to as "this State") such functions as may be vested in them by or under the Government of India Act, 1935, as in force in the Dominion of India, on the 15th day of August 1947, (which Act as so in force is hereafter referred to as "the Act').

2. I hereby assume the obligation of ensuring that due effect is given to provisions of the Act within this State so far as they are applicable therein by virtue of this my Instrument of Accession.

3. I accept the matters specified in the schedule hereto as the matters with respect to which the Dominion Legislature may make law for this State.

4. I hereby declare that I accede to the Dominion of India on the assurance that if an agreement is made between the Governor General and the Ruler of this State whereby any functions in relation to the administration in this State of any law of the Dominion Legislature shall be exercised by the Ruler of the State, then any such agreement shall be construed and have effect accordingly.

5. The terms of this my Instrument of Accession shall not be varied by any amendment of the Act or the Indian Independence Act, 1947, unless such amendment is accepted by me by Instrument supplementary to this Instrument.

6. Nothing in this Instrument shall empower the Dominion Legislature to make any law for this State authorizing the compulsory acquisition of land for any purpose, but I hereby undertake that should the Dominion for the purpose of a Dominion law which applies in this State deem it necessary to acquire any land, I will at their request acquire the land at their expense, or, if the land belongs to me transfer it to them on such terms as may be agreed or, in default of agreement, determined by an arbitrator to be appointed by the Chief Justice of India.

7. Nothing in this Instrument shall be deemed to commit in any way to acceptance of any future constitution of India or to fetter my discretion to enter into agreement with the Government of India under any such future constitution.

8. Nothing in this Instrument affects the continuance of my Sovereignty in and over this State, or, save as provided by or under this Instrument, the exercise of any powers, authority and rights now enjoyed by me as Ruler of this State or the validity of any law at present in force in this State.

9. I hereby declare that I execute this Instrument on behalf of this State and that any reference in this Instrument to me or to the Ruler of the State is to be construed as including a reference to my heirs and successors.

Given under my hand this 26th day of October, nineteen hundred and forty seven.

Hari Singh
Maharajadhiraj of Jammu and Kashmir State.

ACCEPTANCE OF ACCESSION BY THE GOVERNOR GENERAL OF INDIA

I do hereby accept this Instrument of Accession. Dated this twenty seventh day of October, nineteen hundred and forty seven.

Mountbatten of Burma
Governor General of India.

SCHEDULE OF INSTRUMENT OF ACCESSION THE MATTERS WITH RESPECT TO WHICH THE DOMINION LEGISLATURE MAY MAKE LAWS FOR THIS STATE
A. Defence

1. The naval, military and air forces of the Dominion and any other armed forces raised or maintained by the Dominion; any armed forces, including forces raised or maintained by an acceding State, which are attached to, or operating with, any of the armed forces of the Dominion.

2. Naval, military and air force works, administration of cantonment areas.

3. Arms, fire-arms, ammunition.

4. Explosives.

B. External Affairs

1. External affairs; the implementing of treaties and agreements with other countries; extradition, including the surrender of criminals and accused persons to parts of His Majesty's Dominions outside India.

2. Admission into, and emigration and expulsion from, India, including in relation thereto the regulation of the movements in India of persons who are not British subjects domiciled in India or subjects of any acceding State; pilgrimages to places beyond India.

3. Naturalisation.

C. Communications

1. Posts and telegraphs, including telephones, wireless, broadcasting, and other like forms of communication.

2. Federal railways; the regulation of all railways other than minor railways in respect of safety, maximum and minimum rates and fares, station and services terminal charges, interchange of traffic and the responsibility of railway administrations as carriers of goods and passengers; the regulation of minor railways in respect of safety and the responsibility of the administrations of such railways as carriers of goods and passengers.

3. Maritime shipping and navigation, including shipping and navigation on tidal waters; Admiralty jurisdiction.

4. Port quarantine.

5. Major ports, that is to say, the declaration and delimitation of such ports, and the constitution and powers of Port Authorities therein.

6. Aircraft and air navigation; the provision of aerodromes; regulation and organisation of air traffic and of aerodromes.

7. Lighthouses, including lightships, beacons and other provisions for the safety of shipping and aircraft.

8. Carriage of passengers and goods by sea or by air.

9. Extension of the powers and jurisdiction of members of the police force belonging to any unit to railway area outside that unit.

D. Ancillary

1. Election to the Dominion Legislature, subject to the provisions of the Act and of any Order made thereunder.

2. Offences against laws with respect to any of the aforesaid matters.

3. Inquiries and statistics for the purposes of any of the aforesaid matters.

4. Jurisdiction and powers of all courts with respect to any of the aforesaid matters but, except with the consent of the Ruler of the acceding State, not so as to confer any jurisdiction or powers upon any courts other than courts ordinarily exercising jurisdiction in or in relation to that State.
Carl_T
BRF Oldie

Post by Carl_T »

I think we should do a separate thread for all material regarding Article 370 that can be stickied and used for reference.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Items in Union List and Concurrent List of Interest in relation to J&K
SEVENTH SCHEDULE
(Article 246)

List I—Union List

32. Property of the Union and the revenue therefrom, but as regards property situated in a State 1*** subject to legislation by the State, save in so far as Parliament by law otherwise provides
42. Inter-State trade and commerce.
43. Incorporation, regulation and winding up of trading corporations, including banking, insurance and financial corporations, but not including co-operative societies.
44. Incorporation, regulation and winding up of corporations, whether trading or not, with objects not confined to one State, but not including universities.
45. Banking.
46. Bills of exchange, cheques, promissory notes and other like instruments.
47. Insurance.
48. Stock exchanges and futures markets.
49. Patents, inventions and designs; copyright; trade-marks and merchandise marks.
50. Establishment of standards of weight and measure.
56. Regulation and development of inter-State rivers and river valleys to the extent to which such regulation and development under the control of the Union is declared by Parliament by law to be expedient in the public interest.
81. Inter-State migration(omitted in relation to J&K); inter-State quarantine.
97. Any other matter not enumerated in List II or List III including any tax not mentioned in either of those Lists.

Entry 97 is substituted by following entry in relation to J&K

“5[97. Prevention of activities—
(a) involving terrorist acts directed towards overawing the Government as by law established or striking terror in the people or any section of the people or alienating any section of the people or adversely affecting the harmony amongst different sections of the
people;
(b) directed towards disclaiming, questioning or disrupting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of India or bringing about cession
of a part of the territory of India or secession of a part of the territory of India from the Union or causing insult to the Indian National
Flag, the Indian National Anthem and this Constitution, taxes on foreign travel by sea or air, on inland air travel and on postal articles, including money orders, phonograms and telegrams.

List II—State List

State list stands omitted in relation to J&K

17. Water, that is to say, water supplies, irrigation and canals, drainage and embankments, water storage and water power subject to the provisions of entry 56 of List I.
18. Land, that is to say, rights in or over land, land tenures including the relation of landlord and tenant, and the collection of rents; transfer and alienation of agricultural land; land improvement and agricultural loans; colonization.
1* * * * *
21. Fisheries.

26. Trade and commerce within the State subject to the provisions of entry 33 of List III.
27. Production, supply and distribution of goods subject to the provisions of entry 33 of List III.
28. Markets and fairs.

List III—Concurrent List

6. Transfer of property other than agricultural land; registration of deeds and documents.
7. Contracts, including partnership, agency, contracts of carriage, and other special forms of contracts, but not including contracts relating to agricultural land.

27. Relief and rehabilitation of persons displaced from their original place of residence by reason of the setting up of the Dominions of India and Pakistan.
1[33. Trade and commerce in, and the production, supply and distribution of,—
(a) the products of any industry where the control of such industry by the Union is declared by Parliament by law to be expedient in the public interest, and imported goods of the same kind as such products;
(b) foodstuffs, including edible oilseeds and oils;
(c) cattle fodder, including oilcakes and other concentrates;
(d) raw cotton, whether ginned or unginned, and cotton seed; and
(e) raw jute.]
2[33A. Weights and measures except establishment of standards.]
34. Price control.
41. Custody, management and disposal of property (including agricultural land) declared by law to be evacuee property.
2[42. Acquisition and requisitioning of property.]

45. Inquiries and statistics for the purposes of any of the matters specified in List II or List III.
Above entries are amended as below in relation to J&K

1[(c) In the Concurrent List—

4[(iii) entry 3, entries 5 to 10 (both inclusive), entries 14, 15, 17, 20, 21, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 37, 38, 41 and 44 shall be omitted;
(iiia) for entry 42, the entry “42. Acquisition and requisitioning of property, so far as regards acquisition of any property covered by entry 67 of List I or entry 40 of List III or of any human work of art which has artistic or aesthetic value.” shall be substituted; and 5[(iv) in entry 45, for the words and figures “List II or List III”, the words “this List” shall be substituted.

( entries can be added here if required so as to function as single point reference)

[/quote]
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

1THE CONSTITUTION (APPLICATION TO JAMMU
AND KASHMIR) ORDER, 1954
C.O. 48
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (1) of article 370 of the Constitution, the President, with the concurrence of the Government of the State of Jammu and Kashmir, is pleased to make the following Order:—
1. (1) This Order may be called the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1954.
(2) It shall come into force on the fourteenth day of May, 1954, and shall thereupon supersede the Constitution (Application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order, 1950.
2. 2[The provisions of the Constitution as in force on the 20th day of June,1964 and as amended by the Constitution (Nineteenth Amendment) Act, 1966, the Constitution (Twenty-first Amendment) Act, 1967, section 5 of the Constitution (Twenty-third Amendment) Act, 1969, the Constitution (Twentyfourth Amendment) Act, 1971, section 2 of the Constitution (Twenty-fifth Amendment) Act, 1971, the Constitution (Twenty-sixth Amendment) Act, 1971, the Constitution (Thirtieth Amendment) Act, 1972, section 2 of the Constitution (Thirty-first Amendment) Act, 1973, section 2 of the Constitution (Thirty-third Amendment) Act, 1974, sections 2, 5, 6 and 7 of the Constitution (Thirtyeighth Amendment) Act, 1975, the Constitution (Thirty-ninth Amendment)
Act, 1975, the Constitution (Fortieth Amendment) Act, 1976, sections 2, 3 and 6 of the Constitution (Fifty-second Amendment) Act, 1985 and the Constitution (Sixty-first Amendment) Act, 1988 which, in addition to article 1 and article 370, shall apply in relation to the State of Jammu and Kashmir and the exceptions and modifications subject to which they shall so apply shall be as
follows:—]
So , its not the Art 370 alone, but the order issued under it , first time in 1950 and then in 1954 which creates special dispensation for J&K. It extensively modifies many articles of the constitution and entries in Union List and concurrent List.

The original Instrument of Accession lays down certain terms and conditions upon which such accession is legally accepted by the Sovereign Ruler of J&K. This instrument predates the Constitution of India.Clause 7 clearly lays down that instrument does not commit the Ruler to acceptance of Future Constitution of India or restrict his discretion to enter into an agrrement with regard to constitution of India.

That being so, Art 370 provides for Concurrence in respect of Matters not included in Schedule to IOA and consultation in respect of matters included in schedule to IOA.

Now if we question the legality of 370 we question the validity of IOA and by implication accession of J&K to India.

So the position is 370 is valid. But neither IOA nor 370 bars J&K and India to reach agreement on acceptance of any future constitution or amendments. In fact IOA says that "any reference in this Instrument to me or to the Ruler of the State is to be construed as including a reference to my heirs and successors."

Successor of Sovereign Ruler of J&K is Legislative Assembly with Governor as Head of the State acting on advice of Council of Ministers. So theoretically amendment, as may be desirable from our point of view, can be made and it does require either concurrence or consultation. Many of the laws of Union of India ( belonging to UL or CL) have been extended with concurrence/consultation of the State. Except in few sensitive cases, there is no difficulty in extending Laws to J&K.

However, Article 370 is deemed to be Special provision of the constitution which implements terms and conditions of IOA. Now if Governor of J&K agrees to ( with proper advice from COM) then one can achieve full integration. Identify areas which needs attention and work on that. Slowly, expand Laws to the subjects not yet extended to and once all areas have been covered then repeal the Art 370 as having been rendered infructuous. If you attack 370 as such , that would encounter big counter pressure from inimical elements. So GOI has adopted the route of creeping surrender of powers of J&K to Laws enacted by GOI. However, pace of such action has been slow after IG.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

The ugly world of Kashmir's online rebels

http://www.hindu.com/2010/07/24/stories ... 691200.htm
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

jamwal wrote:Candle light march in Hyderabad to pay tributes to the martyrs of Kargil war:

Venue: Necklace Road, opp MMTS Railway Station.
Date: 26th July (monday), on the eve of VIJAY DIWAS
Time: 6:30 PM to 8 PM
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Plan to disrupt Amarnath yatra foiled
The Army on Friday foiled a plan by militants to target the ongoing Amarnath yatra when it recovered a large quantity of arms and ammunition near the Jammu-Srinagar highway in the Banihal area of Ramban district.

The troops recovered 34 detonators, 12 anti-personnel mines, nine RC IED boxes, 36 IED circuits, five RPG charges, 36 metres of safety fuse, 15 metres of cordex wire, one UBGL grenade, one hand grenade and 36 pika rounds and one radio set, the spokesman said.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

The Ugly world of Kashmir's online rebels
But much of the satire is venomously communal. Mr. Abdullah is repeatedly referred to as “Omar Singh” — a derisive reference derived, evidently, from the rumour that his wife is Sikh. The former Chief Minister, Farooq Abdullah, is shown offering respects at a Hindu temple, while another image caricatures the Chief Minister and his wife as pilgrims to the Amarnath shrine. The administrators of “We Hate Omar Abdullah” quite clearly see politicians' efforts to reach out to multiple religious communities as a betrayal.

“The Dalla [broker] family,” the Ray-Ban wearing Rafiqi asserts in one post on the Facebook page, “should be hanged publicly.” Elsewhere, he refers to Mr. Abdullah as a kafir, or unbeliever. In another post on the page, a member asserts that Mr. Abdullah has been denied permission for pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia because of his marriage — a canard circulated by Islamists soon after he took power.

Some networks host express calls to violence. “Everybody,” exhorts the administrator of “Times Now is Anti-Kashmiri,” “[the] next time you see any Times Now correspondent pick up a stone and throw that on their face!” Arnab Goswami, the channel's editor-in-chief, one user asserts, “should be killed.” Ethnic-Kashmiri anchor Mahrukh Inayet comes in for unprintable abuse targeting her gender.

Barkha Dutt, arguably India's best-known English-language television journalist, also draws flak. “We hate Barkha Dutt” contains claims that her reportage on the clashes lacked balance. Much of it, though, consists of personal invective — and threats. “Hell is meant for her,” writes network member Faizan Rashid, “but she should have some kinna punishment in this world as well...‘stoned to death'...wot say?” {Ahhh...all that 'your terrorists are their freedom fighters' does not come to help ? The boys, like in Pakistan, are beginning to bite the sympathizers}
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Northern J&K to be twin region of Xinjiang
Pakistan’s only road link with China is through Khunjerab Pass and Sinkiang is the trade hub for Pakistan’s business community.

“Our visit to China has strengthened Pakistan-China bilateral ties and I hope trade between the two countries will flourish in the future through the Karakoram Highway,” Shah said, adding that Sinkiang and Gilgit-Baltistan will officially be declared “twin provinces” to boost trade between the two friendly countries.

“We have discussed issues Pakistani businessmen are facing in China and invited them to invest in Gilgit-Baltistan,” he Shah, adding that a Chinese delegation would visit G-B in August to explore investment opportunities. He said land routes with Laddakh-Kargil will be opened in future to boost trade in the region.
Airavat
BRF Oldie

Post by Airavat »

Remembering the 2008 Amarnath agitation martyrs
Addressing the function, Brig (retd) Suchet Singh convener of the Samiti said the spirit shown by the people in the Amarnath land row agitation is still there. He assured the people that the Samiti will be strengthened further to fight the anti national forces in the state by uniting all the nationalist forces under one umbrella.

While paying tributes to these 15 martyrs of 63 day long agitation, Mr Manhas said that they will be remembered for ever as they laid down their lives for a noble cause. The 2008 agitation brought all the people of Jammu irrespective of their religion under one umbrella, he added.

Prof. Gupta on the occasion, said it was historic agitation which sent a clear message that the people of Jammu will not tolerate any discrimination and that they can achieve what they deserve. The people of Jammu have been constantly fighting since 1947 on different issues which are directly related to national cause, he added.
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

SSridhar wrote:The Ugly world of Kashmir's online rebels
But much of the satire is venomously communal. Mr. Abdullah is repeatedly referred to as “Omar Singh” — a derisive reference derived, evidently, from the rumour that his wife is Sikh. The former Chief Minister, Farooq Abdullah, is shown offering respects at a Hindu temple, while another image caricatures the Chief Minister and his wife as pilgrims to the Amarnath shrine. The administrators of “We Hate Omar Abdullah” quite clearly see politicians' efforts to reach out to multiple religious communities as a betrayal.

“The Dalla [broker] family,” the Ray-Ban wearing Rafiqi asserts in one post on the Facebook page, “should be hanged publicly.” Elsewhere, he refers to Mr. Abdullah as a kafir, or unbeliever. In another post on the page, a member asserts that Mr. Abdullah has been denied permission for pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia because of his marriage — a canard circulated by Islamists soon after he took power.

Some networks host express calls to violence. “Everybody,” exhorts the administrator of “Times Now is Anti-Kashmiri,” “[the] next time you see any Times Now correspondent pick up a stone and throw that on their face!” Arnab Goswami, the channel's editor-in-chief, one user asserts, “should be killed.” Ethnic-Kashmiri anchor Mahrukh Inayet comes in for unprintable abuse targeting her gender.

Barkha Dutt, arguably India's best-known English-language television journalist, also draws flak. “We hate Barkha Dutt” contains claims that her reportage on the clashes lacked balance. Much of it, though, consists of personal invective — and threats. “Hell is meant for her,” writes network member Faizan Rashid, “but she should have some kinna punishment in this world as well...‘stoned to death'...wot say?” {Ahhh...all that 'your terrorists are their freedom fighters' does not come to help ? The boys, like in Pakistan, are beginning to bite the sympathizers}

Just shows that no matter whta appessement you do, you are always thier enemy, somthing which dosent dawn on these guys
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Just shows that no matter whta appessement you do, you are always thier enemy, somthing which dosent dawn on these guys
LOL, was fun reading the vitriol....

Even the KMs, yup even the KMs, know that their lot(a) across the LoC would be far worse. That half of the stone-pelting protests they did here, if they did there would get some emerging wannabe-Musharraf to prove his mardangi by firing live rounds by the score into the stoned-out crowds.

That mass killings, midnight knocks, disappearings would become so commonplace that within 2-3 days, the entire 'protest' would die out 'peacefully' onlee. Just ask the balwaris and the chitralis and even the gulam kashmir (a.k.a pok) mirpuri KMs. LOL.

Still, its always easier to rail against the civilized party coz their response will be predictably civilized. As is all too visible.

Good. Let such BS from the KM fringe be exposed in the rest of India. Everybody will benefit from the reality cheque.

Like Clint Eastwood says in 1 of his westerns... "Go ahead. Make my day."
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Hari Seldon wrote:
Good. Let such BS from the KM fringe be exposed in the rest of India. Everybody will benefit from the reality cheque.
Like Clint Eastwood says in 1 of his westerns... "Go ahead. Make my day."
Exactly my thought. Let them cry,try an fry all they got . In da end they have to face the Indian music.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Hizbul Mujahideen chief says frequent strikes in Kashmir not good option

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 210270.cms
He said UJC has suspended all its armed activities in the plains of Kashmir where people are protesting.

"However the Hizbul Mujahideen would intensify their attacks in the hinter lands," he warned.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

Hari Seldon wrote:Like Clint Eastwood says in 1 of his westerns... "Go ahead. Make my day."
Clint Eastwood said that in Sudden Impact, the fourth in the Dirty Harry series. It was not a Western! :P :)
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

The classic quote from a Clint Eastwood western isn't even spoken by Eastwood

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Terms of Kashmir dialogue finalized
. . . the central government would open dialogue with the groups in Kashmir with a straight offer to dilute the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, the legal cover that shields armed forces from prosecution for any acts of omission and commission in counter-terrorism operations.

It is one of the recommendations of the working group constituted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2006.

Sources said that the government had also decided to inquire into the circumstances leading to 17 deaths in the Kashmir Valley since June 11.

It will also open all the recommendations of the working groups and take measures step by step, sources added.

"There is also a likelihood of an employment package being announced for the unemployed youth in Kashmir, including those who were found to be involved in the incidents of stone throwing," an official, who is in know of the behind-the scene developments, said.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

SSridhar wrote:Terms of Kashmir dialogue finalized
. . . the central government would open dialogue with the groups in Kashmir with a straight offer to dilute the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, the legal cover that shields armed forces from prosecution for any acts of omission and commission in counter-terrorism operations.It is one of the recommendations of the working group constituted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2006.Sources said that the government had also decided to inquire into the circumstances leading to 17 deaths in the Kashmir Valley since June 11.It will also open all the recommendations of the working groups and take measures step by step, sources added."There is also a likelihood of an employment package being announced for the unemployed youth in Kashmir, including those who were found to be involved in the incidents of stone throwing," an official, who is in know of the behind-the scene developments, said.
So GOI take cue from Asghar Ali's advise. What is next, throw Omar out. Who is gonna take care of law and order, the anarchy and ever growing list of demands, entitlement without work.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

brihaspati
BRF Oldie

Post by brihaspati »

What about investigations into the atrocities on the Pundits, or has the GOI decided that the pundits are not Kashmiris? We still have to respect our directly elected and indirectly elected office holders, no doubt. I understand that the demand is that we cannot criticize them on a concurrent basis [sounds like Brits demand of no-criticism of the "Empress/Emperor"] but should we also be subject to non-criticism and non-bashing clauses forever into the future? Do people who demand silence about office-holder's actions now, agree to be treated as sharers of the guilt of current office holders if the latter are found to be guilty in the future?

Without penalty for participating in actions that bring untold misery to large sections of the population because certain officials decided to attain personal glory at crucial historical junctures - how will this everlasting cycle of pain and trauma on the subcontinent be broken? No one should be secure in the knowledge that their past actions will not come back to haunt them - more so for people in power. Same should go for all who are not in position or power but who join in the cry for critical voices to be silent.

Individual leaders cannot damage a nation unless a whole band of courtiers protect their mistakes at all levels of the society. The least we can do is freely analyze the consequences of actions by top officials or office-holders that may affect the future of the nation adversely.
Pranav
BRF Oldie

Post by Pranav »

The Boiled Frog
The slow erosion of plurality, secularism and shrinking political and economic space for the disfranchised has created the situation that exists in Pakistan today. Kashmir seems to be slowly but surely headed the same way

by Vijay K. Sazawal

http://outlookindia.com/article.aspx?266293
dada
BRFite

Post by dada »

# Pranav

Kashmiris are increasingly giving up their local languages including Kashmiri ! & increasingly adopting "urdu". Many of the Professors in Universities in J&K will openly agree to that. We need to destroy this factor. The communalisation /islamisation process has progressed unhindered only & only through this language. This factor enables the kashmiri separatists to connect easily with pakis. May be a mix of English & Hindi will do. To begin with , enforce this strategy in Jammu University & adjoining areas.

Can we break the following behavioural pattern of kashmir Valley system ?

...... > calm-stockpile goods in your home > turmoil-firing-deaths > protest-strike > calm-stockpile goods in your home > ....
things keep moving in the above circle.
Raghavendra
BRFite

Post by Raghavendra »

People of Gilgit Baltistan Demand Complete Independence
http://videos.sify.com/of-Gilgit-Baltis ... bgfgh.html
Anindya
BRFite

Post by Anindya »

I would recommend reading the following book on article 370...

http://www.vigilonline.com/dynamic_incl ... kare-F.pdf
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Sumit Ganguly on recent events in J&K

http://afpak.foreignpolicy.com/posts/20 ... es_kashmir
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

from wiki
Implications of Article 370

This article specifies that except for Defence, Foreign Affairs, Finance and Communications,(matters specified in the instrument of accession) the Indian Parliament needs the State Government's concurrence for applying all other laws. Thus the state's residents lived under a separate set of laws, including those related to citizenship, ownership of property, and fundamental rights, as compared to other Indians.

Similar protections for unique status exist in tribal areas of India including those in Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, and Nagaland however it is only for the state of Jammu and Kashmir that the accession of the state to India is still a matter of dispute between India and Pakistan still on the agenda of the UN Security Council and where the Government of India vide 1974 Indira-Sheikh accord committed itself to keeping the relationship between the Union and Jammu and Kashmir State within the ambit of this article .

The 1974 Indira-Sheikh accord mentions that " The State of Jammu and Kashmir which is a constituent unit of the Union of India, shall, in its relation with the Union, continue to be governed by Article 370 of the Constitution of India " .

Indian citizens from other states and Kashmiri women who marry men from other states can not purchase land or property in Jammu & Kashmir.
It becomes quite obvious from the above written as to how Article 370 is an impedement to the development of the region, it hampers the natural process of secularization, makes it impossible for any private investment to take place (and we all know how govt. grants vanish), pushes Kashmir towards furthur isolation and gives fuel to radical Islam which is brainwashing unemployed students.

Article 370 is the equivalent of saying that all development activities in Naxal areas should be stopped as they may ammount to looting resources fom those areas.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Omar, Mirwaiz assure Sikhs of security
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and chairman of the Hurriyat Conference (moderate) Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Thursday assured the Sikh community of its safety and security.

This came in the backdrop of an incident at Malangpora in Pulwama, in which the hair of a Sikh youth was allegedly cut by a group of youths who wanted him to raise slogans in favour of freedom.

Deputy Inspector-General of Police (South Kashmir Range) Shaqat Watali said the youth from Devar Tral was on way home after work at the Air Force Station. Some youths stopped him and asked him to raise pro-freedom slogans. “But he did not oblige them. They abused him and cut off some of his hair,” he told The Hindu, quoting the complaint filed by the youth.
However, at Press Enclave and Hyderpora in Srinagar, Baramulla and other places, Sikhs protested and urged the government to act against the culprits.

A delegation of Sikh leaders met Mr. Abdullah and the Mirwaiz. Mr. Abdullah told the delegation that the government was committed to secularism and brotherhood which, he said was the essence of ‘Kashmiriyat.' :roll:
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Hair cut fuels Sikh protest

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Hair-cut- ... 79646.aspx
Deputy inspector General of Police in south Kashmir, Shafaqat Watali, said, “Some youth asked him to raise pro-freedom slogans. He obliged. But when they asked him to recite kalma (Islamic prayer), he resisted. They beat him and some of his hair was chopped off.”
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

The differences in the news reports are also quite strange. The same office in one report says about reciting pro-seccession slogans, where as another news reports says it was reciting Islamic prayer. But good the sikhs protested, and give the more strength.
sunnyP
BRFite

Post by sunnyP »

Mehbooba Mufti lays siege to secretariat
The opposition wanted to give ministers in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) a feeling of what it was like to live in a curfew. So, People’s Democratic Party (PDP) chief Mehbooba Mufti took along her legislators to the civil secretariat on Thursday afternoon and locked the main entrance to the complex. Several ministers were inside the building when the drama unfolded.

PDP legislators also sat outside the gates for more than 30 minutes and did not allow anybody enter or leave the complex. Later, they led a protest march and criticised the government for “imprisoning” the people of Kashmir.

“This [locking the gate] was to make the government understand what it’s like to be in a prison. The government has let loose a reign of terror and by its own account as many as 1,400 teenagers have been arrested. The undeclared curfew and restrictions have converted the whole valley into a large prison,” Mehbooba told reporters. :roll:

Demanding the immediate release of the youths, Mehbooba said the government seems to be at war with its own people. “The government has lost credibility and moral authority to rule. The restrictions have brought life to a standstill and the poor are without work,” she said.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_me ... at_1416373
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Separatist writ: Friday the new Sunday in Kashmir Valley?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 238649.cms