Indian Missile Technology Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Indian Missile Technology Discussion

Post by Rahul M »

^^
that's because my PC remains connected whether I'm in front of it or not ! :)
narayana
BRFite

Re: Indian Missile Technology Discussion

Post by narayana »

India, Israel step up defence ties
The UPA government has also cleared the mammoth Rs 10,000 crore project with Israel to develop a new-generation surface-to-air missile system, capable of detecting and destroying hostile aircraft and spy drones at a range of 120-km, to boost IAF's air defence capabilities. Under this, IAF plans to induct nine air defence squadrons initially.
which missile is this? heard of only barak 2 development with Israel and a New SAM with France.
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

narayana wrote:India, Israel step up defence ties
The UPA government has also cleared the mammoth Rs 10,000 crore project with Israel to develop a new-generation surface-to-air missile system, capable of detecting and destroying hostile aircraft and spy drones at a range of 120-km, to boost IAF's air defence capabilities. Under this, IAF plans to induct nine air defence squadrons initially.
which missile is this? heard of only barak 2 development with Israel and a New SAM with France.
I guess this is the air force version of the Barak 2. I would let the gurus confirm this.
Isn't the cost a but too high ? Could there be other aspects to the hidden costs ?
babbupandey
BRFite

Post by babbupandey »

Sometimes it gets so frustrating to see that India has not developed it's own missiles of this class. Everywhere there is talk of foreign partnership, come to think of it, except for Agni, I do not think there is any so-called indigenous missile in our arsenal. I know this may be overcritical, yet I can't help it. I feel upset when I hear of such foreign collaboration and talks of India buying missiles from Russia/Israel and where not...
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

babbupandey wrote:Sometimes it gets so frustrating to see that India has not developed it's own missiles of this class. Everywhere there is talk of foreign partnership, come to think of it, except for Agni, I do not think there is any so-called indigenous missile in our arsenal. I know this may be overcritical, yet I can't help it. I feel upset when I hear of such foreign collaboration and talks of India buying missiles from Russia/Israel and where not...
pandey saab,now things are changing,recent success of AAD,PAD is a major milestone, very few countries can be compared to our success on BMD.Aakash is a success,prithvi is a success,sagarika is a success,Agni is a grand success,Astra is a success,Nirbhay and nag will follow same .

The only failure is Trishul,and the problem is that we took too much time to build these,but now we have a strong base we can build much better things now.Foreign collaborations are only to make things move faster Ex:-Brahmos.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

and akash is entering squadron service.
Avarachan
BRFite

Post by Avarachan »

I've always been puzzled by the need for this co-development of the MRSAM with Israel ... It seems quite expensive, and it would seem that between the Akash and the AAD, we have enough indigenous expertise to develop a missile like this on our own. Can any of the gurus shed some light on this? I remember that when this co-development was announced, JCage was puzzled about it, too.
p_saggu
BRFite

Post by p_saggu »

WRT Agni-3 there was a news report that Carbon fibres for the heat shield was being imported from Japan, and the Japanese were pissed off and stopped further supply of the material. Reliance has stepped in to manufacture and supply the material at an industrial scale.

One pooch though, A-3 with 3500Km range onlee, can't reach Japan, why was the Japanese government so miffed? Do they know something that we bharatiyas haven't been told? :wink:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

the agni couldn't reach US in 90's. still they opposed its development.
why ? same reason.
Sontu
BRFite

Post by Sontu »

Avarachan wrote:I've always been puzzled by the need for this co-development of the MRSAM with Israel ... It seems quite expensive, and it would seem that between the Akash and the AAD, we have enough indigenous expertise to develop a missile like this on our own. Can any of the gurus shed some light on this? I remember that when this co-development was announced, JCage was puzzled about it, too.
The proble is Akash took bit longer time than expected..had Akash was operationalized earlier, we could have planned/build the second version with greater range like BARAK NG/Barak MRSAM.
IAF needed to replace the grand age old systems ASAP..and we did not have enough time to develop our own version.I think now we are reachning the level where we can say that once Akash and PAD/AAD is operationalized fully..we possibly wouldn't need any more SAM systems to be bought/co-developed (except very special kind of like of Kashtan's one) in the future.

Regards,
Katare
BRF Oldie

Post by Katare »

Avarachan wrote:I've always been puzzled by the need for this co-development of the MRSAM with Israel ... It seems quite expensive, and it would seem that between the Akash and the AAD, we have enough indigenous expertise to develop a missile like this on our own. Can any of the gurus shed some light on this? I remember that when this co-development was announced, JCage was puzzled about it, too.
It's not just missile but whole set of complicated electronics, vehicles, softwares, C3I and procedures that needs to be developed for it to be called a SAM system.

Rs 10k corer is the total estimated cost including production of X and Y number of squadrons for Indian and Isralie armed forces. Each country would fund the venture in ratio of their respective production number and contribution in development program. This is new model that India is adopting where they collaborate with foreign vendors on risk/reward sharing. Risk being the part developmental cost and reward being a share in production run.
kidoman
BRFite

Post by kidoman »

India test-fires submarine-launched missile

BALASORE (ORISSA): India on Wednesday test-fired from a defence base in Orissa its submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) K-15 from a land-based launcher, defence sources said.

It was test fired successfully from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in the district of Balasore, about 230 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.

The missile has two stages fitted into its half-metre-wide body. It can carry a payload up to one tonne and has a highest range of 700 km.

The missile had earlier undergone few tests in an underwater platform. The Wednesday test was intended to check speed, trajectory, azimuth and other parameters of the missile.

The K-15 missile has a length of around 11 metres, larger than the 8.5-metre-long Prithvi short-range ballistic missile but smaller than the 15-metre-long Agni-1 ballistic missile.

The district administration evacuated temporarily about 3,010 people from about five villages located within the two-km radius of the defence base hours before the test in the area, district collector A C Padhiary said.

Link

This is the second test firing..Right??
vivek_ahuja
BRF Oldie

Post by vivek_ahuja »

kidoman wrote:This is the second test firing..Right??
It has been tested several times now.

-Vivek
maz
Webmaster BR

Post by maz »

narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

The missile has two stages fitted into its half-metre-wide body. It can carry a payload up to one tonne and has a highest range of 700 km.
Is the above statement correct?according to earlier reports one of the 2 stages for sub launched version is a under water booster which will help put the missile 5kms above sea and then a second stage will fire and the range for the SLBM is 700kms

For Land based Version there is no need for underwater booster,so land based version range can be more than 700 kms?
Anabhaya
BRFite

Post by Anabhaya »

Times Now news channel is now reporting a successful test fire of 600km range Shaurya missile, that is being 'readied' for the Army.
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

Anabhaya wrote:Times Now news channel is now reporting a successful test fire of 600km range Shaurya missile, that is being 'readied' for the Army.

Where the hell did Shurya come from :eek: . Is that the name give to the Land based (???) K-15. Or those guys having some fun with Names
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

India tests a 600 km surface to surface ballastic missile SHOURYA

DRDO has successfully flight-tested state-of-art 600 Km canisterised surface-to-surface missile system named ‘SHOURYA’ from ITR Balasore on12th November 08 at 1125 hours. This developmental flight trial of ‘SHOURYA’ missile system is a part of ongoing technology development work undertaken by DRDO. This is still not a user requirement yet.

The Missile system has a unique feature of simplicity of operation and maintenance. The canisterised missile system can be easily handled, transported and stored within the canister for longer shelf life. The high manoeurability of the missile makes it less vulnerable to available anti missile defence systems.
Last edited by Kakarat on 12 Nov 2008 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

What happens in case a submarine launched missile encounters some fish (big/small) in it's under water trajectory...would it cause the same harm as a bird hit does to a plane?
similarly, how would a torpedo react?

(yea, it would be funny if along with the payload, a missile delivers a consignment of spiked sharks to the target. :lol: )
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

Arun_S misslie guruji.. no comments from u yet. Looking forward for your views on this new missile system :)
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

Just wondering where the Army will accomodate this missile (if accepted :wink: ).
Will it replace the Prithvi or Agni I or will it put along side these missiles ?
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Can't they come up with a fearsome sanskrit name ? Something which denotes doom death and destruction ? Shourya ?? Yeesh!!! Just my whines onleee. :(( :(( :((
Aditya_V
BRF Oldie

Post by Aditya_V »

Avinandan wrote:

Just wondering where the Army will accomodate this missile (if accepted ).
Will it replace the Prithvi or Agni I or will it put along side these missiles ?

I think when this missile is produced in numbers, it will replace the liquid fuelled Prithvi units. Hence, the words tactical, conventional etc..
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

I think we needed something in this range,after 250 km Prithvi we had a Gap till 800km Agni,Now Srinagar to NWFP Goods Delivery and Border Trade Made easy :).
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

asbchakri wrote:
Anabhaya wrote:Times Now news channel is now reporting a successful test fire of 600km range Shaurya missile, that is being 'readied' for the Army.

Where the hell did Shurya come from :eek: . Is that the name give to the Land based (???) K-15. Or those guys having some fun with Names

Arun has previously predicted tri-service role for the K-15.. it is very much possible this is a land-based cousin on Sagarika.. Sagarika being a water-resistant version & Shourya is the dry version.

From the photo it looks like it is much easily operable & transportable compared to both the Prithvi & AgniI.. so for simpliciy of operation & logistics -- it may gradually relace Prithvi & AgniI.
narayana
BRFite

Post by narayana »

'Shaurya' missile successfully test fired
The indigenous missile was launched from an underground facility with an in-built canister at 11.25 am from Complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, DRDO sources said in Balasore, Orissa.

"The missile was test fired from a 30-40 feet deep pit with in-built canister specially designed for the purpose. There was no water in the pit," the sources said.
Launch from a underground Facility :).Indian version of Atlas-E and Atlas-F in making
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

narayana wrote:'Shaurya' missile successfully test fired
The indigenous missile was launched from an underground facility with an in-built canister at 11.25 am from Complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, DRDO sources said in Balasore, Orissa.

"The missile was test fired from a 30-40 feet deep pit with in-built canister specially designed for the purpose. There was no water in the pit," the sources said.
Launch from a underground Facility :).Indian version of Atlas-E and Atlas-F in making
I dont think anyone is going for a silo based missiles these days, definetly not India. Not sure though why they are launching from a pit. Must be to test some Parameters. Any one have any idea why??
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

asbchakri wrote:
I dont think anyone is going for a silo based missiles these days, definetly not India. Not sure though why they are launching from a pit. Must be to test some Parameters. Any one have any idea why??
I think because it will be easy to load the missile into the launcher
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

Toilet has changed the heading
from India test-fires submarine-launched missile
to India test-fires N-capable missile from land

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Last edited by Kakarat on 12 Nov 2008 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
K_Reddy
BRFite -Trainee

True range?

Post by K_Reddy »

It’s quite clear the Indian military deliberately understates the rage of its missiles, an unnecessary and ineffective subterfuge. From the pic, it looks like the K-15 uses thrusters at the nose for stabilization at takeoff, like the Brahmos. Wonder that the true range of these two missiles are? There was an article in Jane’s that the Brahmos stated range of 290 did not sit right with the specifications. Can anyone shed light on this?
karan_mc
BRFite

Post by karan_mc »

new name SHOURYA for the k-15 now ?
asbchakri
BRFite

Re: True range?

Post by asbchakri »

K_Reddy wrote:It’s quite clear the Indian military deliberately understates the rage of its missiles, an unnecessary and ineffective subterfuge. From the pic, it looks like the K-15 uses thrusters at the nose for stabilization at takeoff, like the Brahmos. Wonder that the true range of these two missiles are? There was an article in Jane’s that the Brahmos stated range of 290 did not sit right with the specifications. Can anyone shed light on this?

is that just me or from the pic it shows the nose is seperated from the rest of the missile :eek:

i meant in the second pic.
Last edited by asbchakri on 12 Nov 2008 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

damn..thats sub-version of our A3. As K-Reddy saab already mentioned, its range and capacity is grossly understated.

it cannot be in the range of 600 (with dimensions similar to A3 + booster). AFAIK DRDO cannot keep on adding stages to sub-launched missile (due to height restrictions), this missile must reach further than this.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the directional thruster cap seems to fly away after launch.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

The flying cap reminds me of another SLBM the Russian SS-N-20 which arms the Typhoon , even she has similar cap which flies of in a different direction once launched.

But some one had commented that its not a efficient solution , most modern SLBM dont have these flying cap , may be arun can give his opinion .

Looking at the missile it look line a baby A-3 for baby boomer , even the RV is of the A-3 type high beta , looks like single warhead 50 - 200 Kt type.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Singha wrote:the directional thruster cap seems to fly away after launch.

The cap is definitely for the sub-marine part of the launch.. Blunt cap.. even though speed of the missile under water is small, because of the density of water being high -- a shock is formed before the missile body.. and hence a blunt cap to get separated bow shock when the missile is in the underwater travel.. then the cap flies off and it is a normal SRBM...

Also one can clearly see two sets of aerodynamic surfaces (fins) -- one set belonging to the missile body itself; and the lower set belonging to the underwater booster..

it looks like Shaurya is the land launched version of Sagarika/K-15