Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by SSridhar »

sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

So, they propose to carry on with only 66 airframes or add another new airframe to the already diverse inventory (The LCA/LIFT is still very far off)? :-?
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

This is pure bullshit stuff from IAF.. if the news piece is true..

For the last 3-4years HAL had been touting a AJT programme which they called CAT.. they even had a CAT front fuselage + cockpit mockup at one of the AeroIndia shows.. AI05, i think..

then the IAF got Hawk and armtwisted MoD into a follow-on order.. and let CAT slip into oblivion..

The saddest thing is except a few jingo's, even HAL people forgot about CAT.. this AeroIndia - I asked Ten HAL people (most of them in suits with neck-tie, who seemed to be high-placed in HAL) and none of then knows about CAT.

for i = 1 to n,

BR question: Sir, what is the status of CAT? Have you put a proposal to GoI?
HAL answer: What is that? what programme?

BR question: Sir it is the in-house AJT design that HAL had..
HAL answer: Oh.. AJT.. yes.. we are already manufacturing the Hawk..

BR question: No. sir.. it is your own HAL design..
HAL answer: Oh.. you mean IJT.. we have two protos flying..

BR question: No. sir.. not IJT. In house AJT. you even had a mockup at previous AeroIndia..
HAL answer: Hm... I dont know.. Ask that person..

repeat..

So that is the story.. if IAF had cleared CAT proposal.. by now FSED would have been over.. Unless IAF wants the LCA-Trainer to be the AJT.. the next stage of training after IJT to be on LCA-Trainer.. which I do not think is an optimum training solution.

Update on IJT

Both prototypes have been salvaged.. Very minor damage on the Proto that belly landed before AI09.. Both are fitted with AL-55I and will start flight-testing soon.. So except the fact that IJT missed air-display at AI09.. not much affect on the IJT flight testing programme..
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

rakall wrote:The saddest thing is except a few jingo's, even HAL people forgot about CAT.. this AeroIndia - I asked Ten HAL people (most of them in suits with neck-tie, who seemed to be high-placed in HAL) and none of then knows about CAT.
Sorry for this seemingly dumb question, but why do we need another AJT when we're inducting Hawks in such large numbers? Shouldn't we (HAL/DRDO) be focussing on more on projects like LCA/LCH/MRTA/IJT/FGFA which they're already neck deep into? I'm not against desi stuff here, but its almost as if we're obsessed to putting a finger in every pie. There's no doubt we'll be able to manufacture an AJT of interntional standards albeit with some delays, but why develop it just for the heck of it? Its not as if we have our own LMs, Boeings, GDs, Sikorskys and Bells. We have just one HAL aspiring to do everything that the above mentioned guys are doing since decades!

I say first complete the LCA, IJT, LCH and all other projects else that HAL's 'promised and tamtamed' about all these years. I say good they've forgotten the AJT, it will only mean one less 'tall claim' to hide their delays behind.

I'm sorry if i've hurt any sentiments here, but mujhse raha nahi gaya. :cry:
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

DM, because the hawk is a pretty old design with not much scope for improvement and secondly but more importantly, IAF itself wants one.

did you read the article BTW ?
ideally, yes we would like to make everything inhouse.
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Dmurphy wrote:
rakall wrote:The saddest thing is except a few jingo's, even HAL people forgot about CAT.. this AeroIndia - I asked Ten HAL people (most of them in suits with neck-tie, who seemed to be high-placed in HAL) and none of then knows about CAT.
I say first complete the LCA, IJT, LCH and all other projects else that HAL's 'promised and tamtamed' about all these years. I say good they've forgotten the AJT, it will only mean one less 'tall claim' to hide their delays behind.

I'm sorry if i've hurt any sentiments here, but mujhse raha nahi gaya. :cry:
I absolutely agree with you. DRDO and HAL seem to have their hands fulls of everything under the Sun. Why not prioritise some of these and put them on higher gear instead of growing vegetables in high altitudes? Diffused focus can lead to more delays.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

I absolutely agree with you. DRDO and HAL seem to have their hands fulls of everything under the Sun. Why not prioritise some of these and put them on higher gear instead of growing vegetables in high altitudes? Diffused focus can lead to more delays.
an incredibly misinformed comment. :roll:

do you think the same set of people do both and that leads to "diffused focus" ??

growing vegetables in high altitudes, creating customised drinks that do not freeze in subzero conditions and rearing angora rabbits are very important projects for the soldiers stationed at those altitudes. just ask RayC about the veges being grown there with DRDO's help.

it may not be as glamorous as a tank or a fighter jet but that does not mean they are not important.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

TIDBIT

Looks like Upgraded Jags have 2052
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

rakall wrote:TIDBIT

:shock:
Nitesh
BRFite

Post by Nitesh »

:shock: :eek:
Then why not LCA :(( :((
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Looks like ?? Confirmed ?? Maritime Jags or all upgraded jags ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

maritime. 2032 was reported earlier.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

2052 on JAG.. that's a huge game changing move.. Makes it A-A along with mud-mover role...

How sure are we of this tidbit ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

yes, rakall boss, any more details would be much appreciated.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Cybaru wrote:

Looks like ?? Confirmed ?? Maritime Jags or all upgraded jags ?
All Jags upgraded under the HAL jag upgrade..

I said "looks like" because the person did not tell me it was 2052.. he kept evading the question..

I asked him "is it mechanically scanned array"..
He said "no.. it has phase shifers.. there are phase shifters here & here and so on".. basically "phase shifters" and the way he painted dots in the air matches with the way 2052 looks..

Thats why i said "look like".. and not "confirmed".

At Elta stall.. i got "we are supplying a variety of systems.. we cannot talk about"
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

btw, won't the old boxy nose be difficult to fit an antenna in ?
do the upg jags show any mod in nose ? need to check.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

rock-all is this for the twin seaters ?

here's a vid of these : http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/7416/iaf-j ... power.html

of course, they don't sport the boxy nose, so that would make sense.

added later :
http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/Sep ... ollingnews
The HAL is carrying out another development programme for the Jaguar fleet which includes additional features like an advanced radar system.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Rahul M wrote:
No.. the jags dont have boxy nose anymore.. the Upgraded jags have a GFRP radome made by NAL's FRP division.

A Jag on static display (will try to post photo) was shown with a 1000lb LGB on the centerline..

Also overheard some ADE people talking that Jaguar has been designated as the platform for the first test of Sudharshan whenver it happens..
Last edited by rakall on 16 Feb 2009 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Do we have a new 8*10 or such dedicated screen for it in the upgraded pics ? I haven't found anything.
Mihir.D
BRFite

Post by Mihir.D »

Did you hear anything about plans to re-engine Jags?
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

rakall wrote: A Jag on static display (will try to post photo) was shown with a 1000lb LGB on the centerline..

Also overheard some ADE people talking that Jaguar has been designated as the platform for the first test of Sudharshan whenver it happens..
But you only need LDP for that right ? Why would you need a radar for it ?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

cybaru, I don't think that rad and sudarshan has a connection.

check the deccan herald link I posted. IAF is itself looking for rad equipped jags, for better SA I guess. makes sense.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Cybaru wrote:
rakall wrote: A Jag on static display (will try to post photo) was shown with a 1000lb LGB on the centerline..

But you only need LDP for that right ? Why would you need a radar for it ?
Actually the connection is between the last 2 sentences.. Jaguar & Sudharshan.. not with the radar part..

I was actually surprised that Jag has been chosen as the test platform for Sudharshan because it was not the most effective LGB platform from kargil experience.. Mirage was.. so that is what I meant by the Jag & Sudharshan connection.
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Ah ok... That makes sense... Thanks for clarifying.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

He told The Hindu that the trainer which will be a derivative of the Light Combat Aircraft Tejas would be far superior to the Hawk and could be flying in five to six years.
RM, I don't wanna drag this discussion for too long. But it seems the first AJT COULD be up and flying in 6 years, the scientific advisor says. Thats without taking into account the testing phase, then time to include the eventual changes in the GSQR later on, so on and so forth. Thats assuming the HAL people at AI 2009 start recalling they had ever committed to such a project in the first place. I've seen someone say here on BRF that the IJT development team was briefly handed over the reigns the FGFA project for sometime because of shortage of manpower. I just want them to take one thing at a time. Though i quite agree with you on the vegetable farming needs.

And hey, great news about the Jags if they're true!
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

rakall wrote:
Rahul M wrote: ...
No.. the jags dont have boxy nose anymore.. the Upgraded jags have a GFRP radome made by NAL's FRP division.

A Jag on static display (will try to post photo) was shown with a 1000lb LGB on the centerline..

Jaguar from Aero India 2009
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Do you have a blow up of the nose ? Does it have a radiation symbol on it ?? :)
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Cybaru wrote:Do you have a blow up of the nose? Does it have a radiation symbol on it ?? :)
Cybaruji/Gurus, what does a radiation symbol mean? It has an AESA, like 2052?
Cybaru
BRF Oldie

Post by Cybaru »

Nah, it will just add to the mystery :) . It may point to a radar on board that's all. Which and what type is anyones guess.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

DM, you are spot on with your concerns. I was only commenting on the need and yes, there is a need.

number 66 is by no means huge for IAF needs and IAF increasingly finds that the hawks don't fit the bill.
btw, the 5-6 years timeline indicates to me that they have taken their primary projects into consideration and that this a VERY conservative estimate.
if HAL accorded first priority to this thing, it would have been completed in at most half that time, may be lesser.

rad symbol means it has a radar. jag strike version didn't have rad previously.

rakall, could you say if this is for the twin seaters only ??
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

Rahul M wrote:DM, because the hawk is a pretty old design with not much scope for improvement and secondly but more importantly, IAF itself wants one.

Some time ago, I was able to squeeze the BAe guys (after half hr talking) to give me the executive summary booklet for the Hawk 132... stuff and numbers that'd make Vivek's mouth water... been trying to scan it, but have been unable to... cost and large number of pages and lack of proper software to convert to pdf... if someone has any ideas, plz let me know.

Cheers
AmitR
BRFite

Post by AmitR »

Cybaru wrote:Do you have a blow up of the nose ? Does it have a radiation symbol on it ?? :)
Here is the full resolution image, not sure what symbol you are looking for. Hope this helps.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Dl2LL-s7kPU/SZgGj ... G_0124.JPG
Last edited by AmitR on 16 Feb 2009 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

Rahul M wrote:DM, you are spot on with your concerns. I was only commenting on the need and yes, there is a need.

number 66 is by no means huge for IAF needs and IAF increasingly finds that the hawks don't fit the bill.
btw, the 5-6 years timeline indicates to me that they have taken their primary projects into consideration and that this a VERY conservative estimate.
if HAL accorded first priority to this thing, it would have been completed in at most half that time, may be lesser.

rad symbol means it has a radar. jag strike version didn't have rad previously.

rakall, could you say if this is for the twin seaters only ??
No.. all upgraded jags will get the radar & new radome - if that is what you mean..

If you mean the LGB part - I think they will upgrade all jags tp LDP/LGB compatibility..But IAF has been more comfortable using twin-seaters for LGB drops.. thats the way they did in Kargil with Mirages.. even though LGB load outs are frequently seen on single seaters.. they used two seaters in kargil attacks...
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

k prasad wrote:
Rahul M wrote:DM, because the hawk is a pretty old design with not much scope for improvement and secondly but more importantly, IAF itself wants one.

Some time ago, I was able to squeeze the BAe guys (after half hr talking) to give me the executive summary booklet for the Hawk 132... stuff and numbers that'd make Vivek's mouth water... been trying to scan it, but have been unable to... cost and large number of pages and lack of proper software to convert to pdf... if someone has any ideas, plz let me know.

Cheers
Just take pictures with a digicam and upload them..

or post it to me - I can convert it to a softcopy and return it to you.. Do you live in Blr by any chance?
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

rakall wrote:
Cybaru wrote:Looks like ?? Confirmed ?? Maritime Jags or all upgraded jags ?

I said "looks like" because the person did not tell me it was 2052.. he kept evading the question..

I asked him "is it mechanically scanned array"..
He said "no.. it has phase shifers.. there are phase shifters here & here and so on".. basically "phase shifters" and the way he painted dots in the air matches with the way 2052 looks..

Thats why i said "look like".. and not "confirmed".

At Elta stall.. i got "we are supplying a variety of systems.. we cannot talk about"
It was the same case here mate.... the old coot kept dodging my questions for 10 minutes, and i was asking him about teh 2052. Dang guy never let anything slip, not even the letter A. Couldnt even get to know if they were trying for the LCA radar thingy, and the only info came when Cmde Balaji mentioned the Elta+LRDE MMR.

Yup Rakall, I'm Blore based.... send me a mail, and I'll revert asap.
rakall
BRFite

Post by rakall »

k prasad wrote:
Yup Rakall, I'm Blore based.... send me a mail, and I'll revert asap.
please post you email id..

or e-mail me
Last edited by rakall on 16 Feb 2009 15:42, edited 2 times in total.
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

people looking to use temp email ids might give this a try

m a i l i n a t o r

Google it
k prasad
BRFite

Post by k prasad »

ok... sent mail... delete ur previous post with email id for security sake.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Dmurphy wrote:Sorry for this seemingly dumb question, but why do we need another AJT when we're inducting Hawks in such large numbers? Shouldn't we (HAL/DRDO) be focussing on more on projects like LCA/LCH/MRTA/IJT/FGFA which they're already neck deep into? I'm not against desi stuff here, but its almost as if we're obsessed to putting a finger in every pie.
On a different note but same issue, why don't we handover some projects to NAL? It would be for better of everyone to have some competetion. Why not provide some competetion to HAL in the form of NAL? JMT.

Cheers....
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

AmitR wrote:
Cybaru wrote:Do you have a blow up of the nose ? Does it have a radiation symbol on it ?? :)
Here is the full resolution image, not sure what symbol you are looking for. Hope this helps.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Dl2LL-s7kPU/SZgGj ... G_0124.JPG
Link not working!!! :(

Btw, why was the radiation sticker only on the MKI and not the other planes like M2K and MiG-29(if it denotes radar integrated)?

I had posted same Q in the aero-India thread but no reply.