Deterrence

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
hgupta
BRFite

Re: Deterrence

Post by hgupta »

Cyrano wrote: 02 Oct 2023 12:24 Amber G,
While accusing others of bias, you don't seem to read posts carefully.

I wrote IF true, and thats a big IF. Instead of debunking the fellow who wrote that article, you go off about ginger counters etc.

The fellow says a fusion type mini nuke. Before you start lecturing, we all know what it takes to trigger one. How much radioactivity would that leave behind? No part of the Swedish agencies reports were made public. SO we HAVE to take what Swedish agencies are reporting using their seismic sensors and $25 or $100 Geiger counters, and take their word as gospel. Of course, Russia whose pipelines were destroyed was excluded from the investigation.

It doesn't matter HOW the NS was destroyed beyond a point. WHO dun it is what matters now. The MSM that wrote scores of pages on Bucha and kidnapped children was silent on such a huge ecological and energy security disaster, begs the question WHY ?

I'd love to see how these NATO countries and their MSMs will react if India did another round of N tests, to prove its mini-nuke designs. Hope we'll have you batting for Bharat even then.
He did nothing of the sort. You seem to be merrily chasing theories into a rabbit hole based on purely conjecture without any substantive or conclusive proof and he is calling you out for it.

There were no mini-nukes involved in that explosion. Just a very powerful bomb that would cut through the pipes that have been reinforced against the pressure of the sea.
Cyrano
BRF Oldie

Post by Cyrano »

I admit I wasn't there so I could be wrong :P
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Discussion about why the US must move away from entirely counterforce to a mix of counterforce plus countervalue, in order to take the combined might of China and Russia, without increasing its nuclear arsenal.

The U.S. Nuclear Arsenal Can Deter Both China and Russia - Glaser, Acton & Fetter - Foreign Affairs
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Shows the decline of super power!
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

SSridhar wrote: 06 Oct 2023 11:27 Discussion about why the US must move away from entirely counterforce to a mix of counterforce plus countervalue, in order to take the combined might of China and Russia, without increasing its nuclear arsenal.

The U.S. Nuclear Arsenal Can Deter Both China and Russia - Glaser, Acton & Fetter - Foreign Affairs
:mrgreen: ..read..the US does not want to get into an arms race with China .. knowing it cant win.. karma coming a full circle.. it was not so long ago the US bankrupted the Soviet Union using a similar tactic
Haridas
BRFite

Post by Haridas »

ramana wrote: 07 Apr 2017 00:56 I think a revisit of the NFU part of the Indian MND is appropriate at this uncertain times.
Current global situtation is more than uncertain, it is volatile time.

Bharat must publically share it revised doctrin (in summary).
drnayar
BRFite

Post by drnayar »

Haridas wrote: 29 Dec 2023 23:50
ramana wrote: 07 Apr 2017 00:56 I think a revisit of the NFU part of the Indian MND is appropriate at this uncertain times.
Current global situation is more than uncertain, it is volatile time.

Bharat must publicly share it revised doctrine (in summary).
Indeed, deterring China requires more than ambiguity in its arsenal as well as a robust response in its doctrine
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

I posted about about Dr. Swaminathan in this thread a few months ago.

Noting that:
One anecdote: After the nuclear tests of 1998, He said something very telling to in an Indian Science conference "
You people in Defence, Atomic Energy and Space think of these as "strategic". But without food security, we couldn't have done the nuclear tests."
He was right.
I am glad, that it was announced that Dr. Swaminathan is now honored with Bharat-Ratna!
Amber G.
BRF Oldie

Post by Amber G. »

This may be of interest:

I happened to visit Nevada National Security Site, a place steeped in history with over 100 atmospheric nuclear tests and 1000s of underground tests.. Apart from the first Atom bomb tested in New Mexico's Trinity site (which i visited in the past) *all* atomic tests inside USA were tested here. (Exception were some large Thermo nuclear bombs were tested in South Pacific).

This was really memorable!

Sedan Crater (apart several such craters), where the effects of a 140 Kiloton nuclear device (in 1962) were evident - large crater 1300 by 320 ft -- It was a sobering experience, to say the least.

The Knob Hill, where Walter Cronkite famously reported the first live mushroom cloud after an explosion. Standing in that historic spot, we couldn't help but feel the weight of history bearing down on us... People then watched the mushroom cloud, shock waves some 50-100 miles away -- even is Las Vegas - where crowed gathered to watch on rooftops.. (and felt the quake etc).

There were trenches where US troops dug-in just few Km from point zero,... miles away there were benches and view points - (many famous/historic photographs of leaders watching the event )... and houses built with different constructions, and different kind of basements, (with mannequins insides) to study the effect...(VERY sobering to see the results)

One site - where last nuclear test was all ready - but due to treaty with then Soviet Union was scrubbed at the last moment --they left almost everything (except the bomb) .. tunnel (1000 feet deep).. testing equipments/ cables etc.. as it was..

My take on one thing - in 1950's/60's they have to do that much testing mostly for learning .. each test gave new data ...now there is not the need as the science and engineering is much understandable...

One thought - during those 20-30 years -- US performed one nuclear test every week...

(No cameras, iphones, electonics, or Geiger Counter were allowed ..I decided to test the radiation level on my shoes afterward -- it was high but well within the safe limits lower than sands of Kerala..:)

For details one can do search for Sedan Crater etc.. here is the site - some info is openly available:
https://www.energy.gov/em/nevada-nation ... sites-nnss
ShauryaT
BRF Oldie

Post by ShauryaT »

A long overdue forward step has been taken.

FINALLY, Divyastra, 19 years late. Next up — Thermonuclear testing - Bharat Karnad
The MIRV tech has been collecting dust at the Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Hyderabad, for the last 19 years. It was a project lovingly shepherded to near completion by RN Agarwal, the then Director, ASL. He wanted to complete it by the time he retired in 2004. But the project missed the deadline by a year. In part because Dr Agarwal’s approaches since 2002 to the first BJP government of Atal Bihari Vajpayee for approval of a test launch of a MIRVed Agni did not elicit the response he had hoped for. The Vajpayee PMO, with Brajesh Mishra, the National Security Adviser-cum-Principal Private Secretary to the PM, heading it, repeatedly said NO! But Agarwal’s spirited campaign for the Indian MIRV project cost him a promotion. He was passed over for the post of DRDO chief and Secretary to the Govt of India (GOI), because Mishra feared Agarwal would use the DRDO pulpit to push MIRV, which Mishra did not want. The head of the Arjun Main Battle Tank Project, Dr M Natarajan, was appointed to lead DRDO instead.

The Manmohan Singh regime wouldn’t OK the MIRV test, and Narendra Modi didn’t either until sometime in late 2022 when he green-flagged the Divyastra test launch.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

History of China's quest for Hydrogen bomb.
Achieved in 2.5 years after fission bomb.

https://thebulletin.org/2024/04/the-sho ... ogen-bomb/