Telangana Monitor

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Re: States News and Discussions

Post by munna »

ramana wrote: Munna the traditional dynamics dont apply here. please dont post without knowing the issues. Andhra is the historic gateway of Deccan. Any trouble ther will affect all that area.
And I agree with that. However the fact remains that there is support on the ground for this partition otherwise there was no hope for Telangana (with due blessing of SG) to come into being. As far as strategic implications go one state under YSR type leader is always worse off than two under non YSR leadership, if I go by the claims of the forumites about the EJ's activism under him.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

A tad political but its less likely INC can hold onto 2+ states the way it could hold power in one (united AP). Wonder why the high-on-something command felt it had noc hoice but to give into a Telengana demand. And worries about abt the maoists making a beeline for Telengana after it forms.

Meanwhile, expect statehood demands in places like Darjeeling and perhaps Bodoland to flare up now. Dunno about Vidharbha though. Would be great if UP could be split up, besides.

Interesting and Inte-restless times ahead, IMHO.
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

ramana wrote: And now there will be fracturing in all of Deccan: Maharastra, Karnataka and Andhra.
This is 1953-redux. At least Potti Sriramulu was a Gandhian and a credible one at that. You forgot Kamtapur, Gorkhaland, and even a south-TN. Slowly, we may be back to pre-47 560 odd states. Since there are no precise equations that govern human dynamics, noone knows what kinda tiger they have mounted on. One thing is certain: this could either be a masterstroke or a complete disaster, nothing in between. Future will have to tell what it is.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

munna wrote:
ramana wrote: Munna the traditional dynamics dont apply here. please dont post without knowing the issues. Andhra is the historic gateway of Deccan. Any trouble ther will affect all that area.
And I agree with that. However the fact remains that there is support on the ground for this partition otherwise there was no hope for Telangana (with due blessing of SG) to come into being. As far as strategic implications go one state under YSR type leader is always worse off than two under non YSR leadership, if I go by the claims of the forumites about the EJ's activism under him.
Wrong view to look at it. EJs won't be less active than they are now regardless of AP's position.

Assuming they split state,

YSR Sthana-Balam (strength of place) is in Greater Rayalaseema (Rayalaseema+Nellore+Prakasam(AP)+Bellary(Karnataka)).

YS Jagan can easily become CM of this portion if that area is made state with money help of Gali Janardhan Reddy (BJP MLA and of mining mafia business fame).

Congress may plan to place Jaipal Reddy as CM of Telengana and get TRS in its fold.

Rosaiah may become CM of Coastal AP with the help of PRP (works as spoiler party in Coastal AP)
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

What this is is:

Weakening of power of individual states, consolidation of Central power, and surrender of India to non-Indian interests.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Hari, Center doesn't want to yield ot YSR forces. Its about checkmating them.

Meanwhile Hindu Editorial

http://beta.thehindu.com/opinion/editor ... e62156.ece
Legitimate socio-economic grievances can take problematical political forms. Decades of neglect and denial of opportunities, especially in education and employment, have left the Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh underdeveloped and backward. This inescapable reality explains the militancy of the movements that surface from time to time for a separate State. The region, which broadly corresponds to the areas that were under the princely state of Hyderabad, continues to fall behind both coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema in development indices. Dams and irrigation projects have helped to some extent, but the rural hinterlands on the Deccan plateau have resisted attempts to boost agricultural productivity and income. Rural unemployment and poverty are rampant. Leaders of the Telangana region, including many from the time of the first major agitation in 1969, have sought to frame these deprivation and development-related issues in the language of regionalism — as wilful, oppressive neglect of an entire region by those in power belonging to other regions. The Telangana Rashtra Samithi, the party behind the current agitation, is of the same mould. Although the TRS fared poorly in the Lok Sabha and Assembly elections earlier this year, its president K. Chandrasekhar Rao has now managed to rally support by going on a protest fast. Such is the volatility of Indian politics that the mass mood can change within months, especially when an emotive issue is worked up by clever political footwork. The mishandling of the students’ agitation by the police has clearly aided Mr. Rao’s cause.

Sound political diagnosis must of course factor in the mass mood but cannot be determined by it. In most cases, the real answer to problems of under-development and backwardness lies in big efforts aimed at development and progress. Aside from the unwisdom of breaking up South India’s largest State, a separate Telangana will fuel demands for a separate Rayalaseema, for a separate coastal Andhra, and, maybe, even for union territory status for Hyderabad — and there will be no Pradesh left. The problem of uneven regional and intra-State development is one of the major challenges rising India faces but there is little to suggest that smaller States will make for a more even process of development. Surely, regional imbalances can be corrected without recourse to bifurcating or trifurcating a stable and potentially prosperous State — which came into being through historical struggle and sacrifice and showcases the virtues of post-Independence linguistic reorganisation. For a start, the Regional Development Boards could be given more resources and more powers. Successive chief ministers have avoided resourcing the boards with sufficient funds, for fear of creating regional power centres and undermining their own authority. This must necessarily change. The diagnosis is right: Telangana is backward and cries out for rapid development and the regional autonomy needed for this. But the cure pressed by a succession of militant movements — a separate Telangana State — will do serious harm to the patient.
Stan there is no YSR force in other states.

Aside: Savarkar in his "Letters from Andaman" worries that the nascent Telugu pride movement ( ~ 1911?) could lead to the fracturing of idea of India.

Maybe this is the curse for P Sriramulu's fast leading to linguistic division of India. IOW its the Telugus that are getting broken up first to appease INC internal squabbles.

The fifty years of regional peace is being broken.

Will Telengana districts get the option to go where they want?
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

ShyamSP wrote:Assuming they split state,

YSR Sthana-Balam (strength of place) is in Greater Rayalaseema (Rayalaseema+Nellore+Prakasam(AP)+Bellary(Karnataka)).
There is no way that Bellary will become part of Telangana. While the Telangana movement may spark a similar demand for making North Karnataka a separate state, there is no way that parts of another state ( whether Karnataka or Maharashtra) will be broken up to form Telangana. Congress will lose both states if they do that!
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

ShyamSP wrote:What this is is:

Weakening of power of individual states, consolidation of Central power, and surrender of India to non-Indian interests.
How so?
Stan_Savljevic
BRF Oldie

Post by Stan_Savljevic »

ramana wrote: Stan there is no YSR force in other states.
Ramana, did you see this report from yesterday:
Morcha looks up to AP
http://telegraphindia.com/1091209/jsp/s ... 839945.jsp
I know there are chatter-boxes centered around Coimbatore region seeking a Kongu-naadu, a merger back with Cochin state in some sense, that whole area has a fractious tale from the post-47 era. There had always been an irritant in TN that Madras is cornering everything and Salem/Madurai axis is getting little. Such forces are gonna find new oxygen. One has to keep a note of what anti-heroes like Nedumaran do.
Dasari
BRFite

Post by Dasari »

I completely agree with Ramana garu’s view that it was created not because of KCR’s fast or the current Telangana agitation. Congress certainly wants to cut YS Jagan’s influence. But they must have found some very strong evidence that YS Jagan is undermining Rosiah’s govt. Otherwise they would not have moved with this haste. There got to be some truth in the rumors that YS Jagan and KVP are engineering unrest in Hyderabad to show Rosiah in poor light.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

Okay, basically time for some down hill sking from my side.
yvijay wrote: Whoa nice mudslinging on telangana. Pray tell how did other regions subsidize telangana when the major ruse was that the funds and water are diverted to Andhra region. Coastal Andhra begun to develop after the Nagarjuna sagar dam was built and the major share of water goes to this region, although the dam itself was built in Telangana. And until YSR no major irrigation were taken up in telangana, although both Godavari and Krishna go through it. The fact of matter is AP politics was dominated by Andhra politicians and that’s where funds went. And that is what telangana people believe even if you don’t agree.
Vijay,

You have to first understand what effect being a capital has on the remaining areas. Let me give a very famous example, that of the telugu film industry. When there was madras state with madras as the capital of the coastal andhra(ca), the whole of ca was running towards madras and thus the film industry was started there. When hyderabad became the capital, within 30 years the telugu industry shifted to hyderabad. Why? The 1st generation of actors which went to madras built studios in madras itself, however the next 2nd generation of actors who had to go to madras even though hyderabad was the capital started thinking, why not in hyderabad. The generation which was born after hyderabad became capital completely shifted there. Now what would you call it? I will call it "subsidisation" by actors initially to madras then to hyderabad.

Now I consider hyderabad to be part of telangana, hence my statement. Also politics in the long run will depend on only one thing, money. Those who have money will rule the roost. Initial leaders were therefore from andhra, the next gen is the mining royals- ysr.
And somebody said
And let us wait and see how much the capital will be shifted to Andhra and how poor telangana will become without them, before passing judgements. Telangana is unfortunate to be under oiseaule nizam, who enriched himself without doing anything for the region. At least, British invested in education and irrigation projects.
No doubt telangana was unfortunate to be part of oiseaule nizam. The next blow to it was division of nizam areas into parts of various states. You have unfortunately lost the source of your waters there- aka linguistic division. geographically telangana is at a higher height (deccan plateau) than godavari, so if you want to get water, dams must be built before the plateau starts, ergo maharashtra and karnataka- which is why the last statement in my previous post. In a sense, telangana biggest loss was the loss of those two areas.

Oh, believe me lot of capital will be shifted. Hyderabad had its "catchment area", the whole of Andhra Pradesh. Now it is only telangana. You wouldnt be having the next gen of "Satyam", "Ramoji film city" and so on in hyderabad. They will now be in the new capital. Why my parents, themselves shifted completely to hyderabad in such a way that I have spent not more than 20 days in coastal andhra, all their productivity, their money is spent in hyderabad only. You might think that if that was not there, it would not have been occupied by some other person. No sir, that position wouldnt even have existed in hyderabad. Let me give you an example - the andhra bank started in coastal andhra, but its head quarters was shifted to hyderabad- because hyderabad was the capital. The next generation "andhra bank" established in coastal andhra will shift to...

I am questioning the economic rationale for this move. Before a industry in hyderabad could export through vishaka or kakinada. now they have to pay an additional state octroi - ergo shifting of industries. It makes eminent sense to me if a region wants to separate because it is far from the capital, but when it has the capital :-?

All I here is telangana sentiment. If you can explain the economic rationale, I would be grateful.
P.S: I'm from Hyderabad and I too wanted a unified AP but since the decision has been taken, mudslinging will not takes us anywhere.
mudslinging sir? I am going to be a telanganite. So the mud is on me only sir - because I have almost zero relationship with coastal andhra.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

Dasari wrote:I completely agree with Ramana garu’s view that it was created not because of KCR’s fast or the current Telangana agitation. Congress certainly wants to cut YS Jagan’s influence. But they must have found some very strong evidence that YS Jagan is undermining Rosiah’s govt. Otherwise they would not have moved with this haste. There got to be some truth in the rumors that YS Jagan and KVP are engineering unrest in Hyderabad to show Rosiah in poor light.
I agree party after crushing defeat in elections and with 10 MLAs out of 294 can't achieve a separate state.
YS Jagan is powerful but a small fly. KCR is insignificant fly.

So entire drama seems to be Congress play. Question is if it is bigger play or limited to AP only.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

We need to understand few facts here.

In 2009 elections both INC and TDP contested on the basis of United AP. Together they won 80% of total assembly seats. That is the popular mandate until next assembly elections.

TRS hardly won less than 10 assembly seats. So the current agitation is nothing but blackmail politics.

Let us assume INC made this decision to cut YSJ to size. It means the INC is splitting a state in Indian union to settle some internal score at a given period. Take a moment and ponder on this point and it's repercussions in future feudal fights.

Coming to telangana sentiment. The best way to address this would be to organize a refferrundum. Otherwise every tom dick and Harry who can mobilize few tens of thousand people can ask for a state. And there are hundreds of them in India and they do this for every political meeting.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Post by RamaY »

So entire drama seems to be Congress play. Question is if it is bigger play or limited to AP only.
This was the conclusion we were arriving at in the YSR legacy thread before it was deleted.

For a political mind every pattern is a strategy. It will try to create the underlying trends to recreate a favorable outcome.

Does anyone has the list of MLAs who got elected in 2009 that belong to YSR faction and see where they fall in telangana and Rest-of-AP? That could be a pointer.

We can see these patterns recreated in WB, UP and Karnataka in next 10 years.
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

RamaY wrote:We can see these patterns recreated in WB, UP and Karnataka in next 10 years.
All for smaller states! Big ones tend to dominate the national affairs and the high performing smaller states are left to fend for themselves while all the "Rail Factories" end up in West Bengal or entire telecom policy becomes hostage to a large party from TN. Smaller states will lead to the states working hard on their state list subjects and disallow them to acquire sufficient clout to hijack policy matters at the centre to the detriment of smaller states. Good for national parties and political forces who consider India their playground rather than have strong satraps calling shots and weakening the centre.

PS: This is my personal long held view formed due to the dominance by states with large number of MPs and not a value judgement on Telangana issue or the emotional jingoes from Andhra.
bahdada
BRFite

Post by bahdada »

Such BS. Well I just hope they don't give HYD to these jiddu troglodytes otherwise they'll be hell to pay. On the bright side Vizag and North Andhra might finally get some much needed infrastructure and development dough. Property values will skyrocket there.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Stanji, I guess you don't know what YSR force is? Its EJ backed by very powerful outside forces. Chota guys asking for new nadus don't cut mustard unless they have massa backing. Do you know how many radar sat pics were taken by US to locate his helicopter crash site per Hindu? 20,000. Do you know how much computing power is needed to process those pics?

Dasri, Thanks. I guess they realised what the game paln was decided to bi/tri-furcate.

I think the YSJ/KRR game was to make trouble and ask for CM job to quiet things down. So INC raised the gambit and said fine lets divide the state.

Watch for reaction from the TRS backers.

All,

Lets not quarrel. We are all Telugus being divided again. When the Bahmani Sultans killed Kapaya Nayaka Garu the division started. It was healed in 1956 when all Telugu lands were united. Now we are being divided again. Lets pldege not to have bitterness or rancor.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

They want to pass the resolution of Telangana formation today itself in AP assembly. The central government want to create Telangana finally. If INC wants it then it will form as a lot of folks are eager to see AP divided for different reasons to each of them.
RamaY wrote: In 2009 elections both INC and TDP contested on the basis of United AP. Together they won 80% of total assembly seats. That is the popular mandate until next assembly elections.

TRS hardly won less than 10 assembly seats. So the current agitation is nothing but blackmail politics.

Let us assume INC made this decision to cut YSJ to size. It means the INC is splitting a state in Indian union to settle some internal score at a given period. Take a moment and ponder on this point and it's repercussions in future feudal fights.

Coming to telangana sentiment. The best way to address this would be to organize a refferrundum. Otherwise every tom dick and Harry who can mobilize few tens of thousand people can ask for a state. And there are hundreds of them in India and they do this for every political meeting.

* TDP at the time elections promised to help Telangana formation. INC (by the only YSR) was the only party that contested with united AP format.

* Just for past records, the other regional leaders who supported Telangana are Sharad Pawar and Karunanidhi for whatever the reasons that they have.

* AP had Telangana movements and communal riots only during INC rule and not at other times. By the way TDP ruled the state for 25 years. INC is a faction ridden pure goons party and all are powerful in their areas of goondagiri. The game of one goon over another goon results in movements like Telangana or communal riots.

* For a record, earlier Telangana movement was by INC leaders like Chenna Reddy, Mallikarjun and current TRS was propped by a desperate INC to defeat CBN in 2004.

* Referrendum will anyway result in Telangana and it is of no use. Telangana folks always have takleef about being dominated by coastal AP folks and that is not going to go away.

I only wish that the split happens with no violence and let the two states live in good stead instead of hard feelings. I also wish let Hyderabad be part of Telangana and Andhra region get its own capitol. The UT for Hyd is all trash being proposed by real estate lobby/goons.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

munna wrote: All for smaller states! Big ones tend to dominate the national affairs and the high performing smaller states are left to fend for themselves while all the "Rail Factories" end up in West Bengal or entire telecom policy becomes hostage to a large party from TN. Smaller states will lead to the states working hard on their state list subjects and disallow them to acquire sufficient clout to hijack policy matters at the centre to the detriment of smaller states. Good for national parties and political forces who consider India their playground rather than have strong satraps calling shots and weakening the centre.

PS: This is my personal long held view formed due to the dominance by states with large number of MPs and not a value judgement on Telangana issue or the emotional jingoes from Andhra.
There is good and bad to this smaller states proposition. Good part is what you covered but the bad part is imagine a 1000 regional parties with no cohesion trying to rule the country.

Another problem is who will create these smaller states? Will Sharad Pawar allow Vidharbha or Mulayam allow UP split? Every bigger state leader wants the other bigger state to split so that they are sole leaders with clout at the coalition negotiating table.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

RaviBg wrote:
ShyamSP wrote:Assuming they split state,

There is no way that Bellary will become part of Telangana. While the Telangana movement may spark a similar demand for making North Karnataka a separate state, there is no way that parts of another state ( whether Karnataka or Maharashtra) will be broken up to form Telangana. Congress will lose both states if they do that!
Bellary is a part of Rayalaseema. Telengana is modern identity to signify Telugu speaking area of Hyderabad state. Rayalaseema was also with Nizam until it was given to the British so that region is also modern identity.

If idea is to split states what would Karnataka/Kannadigas/BJP do to prevent splitting Karnataka?
munna
BRFite

Post by munna »

Muppalla wrote: There is good and bad to this smaller states proposition. Good part is what you covered but the bad part is imagine a 1000 regional parties with no cohesion trying to rule the country
Smaller regional parties unless they have religious basis are bound to become resource constrained and unviable in the long run. Most of the smaller states have one of the major national parties in strong contention while in larger states its the regional parties that rule the roost (barring the joint AP). Even an Akali Dal that is rooted in Jatt Sikh clergy has to knock at BJP's doors to win elections similarly Chautala can only dream of overpowering INC if BJP is with him. Larger states by default develop there own ecosystems and develop stronger local parties as they are able to sustain themselves feeding off the state resources. In absence of big economies to back themselves up regional parties will not become too big for their own good and better still will be dependent on national parties to bring them home or be non-existent at all.
Another problem is who will create these smaller states? Will Sharad Pawar allow Vidharbha or Mulayam allow UP split? Every bigger state leader wants the other bigger state to split so that they are sole leaders with clout at the coalition negotiating table.
The answer to your poser is that when there is ground swell for something some opportunist elements will always arise to take control of the situation and secure a deal for the ground swell. IF I go by the rakshaks here then KCR is a nobody or a pest at best, but look he managed to become an icon of the Telangana movement by doing a farce of a fast. AP is being partitioned by fast of KCR, similar opportunists will arise for trifurcation of UP, bifurcation of Maharashtra and a badly needed division of W Bengal.
So who decides that states are divided? In short, people will! If YSR were to be alive ironically enough the jingos of the forum would have been happy to see no partition at all. The INC is being opportunistic by using historic under currents in the state to achieve its political objectives. But then BJP, TDP and other regional parties too have pledged their support to the Telangana issue! So why to tar the new state and its people as part of some conspiracy. We are all Indians.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

ShyamSP wrote: If idea is to split states what would Karnataka/Kannadigas/BJP do to prevent splitting Karnataka?
ShyamSP garu,
The split of states is only possible if the brothers fight among themselves to a situation where they decided to live apart. If the KA folks really decide to live apart then North KA may form but the chances are remote. I agree with RaviBg that a state will not be formed by combining few districts from different existing states. The state assmeblies will not pass resolutions in that way. Jharkand movement tried to combine portions of Bihar, WB and Orissa but in the final analysis only portions of Bihar became Jharkand. The lifetime of all these states is more than 50 years and they have the politics alligned with their existing states and there are no cross-border political entities and hence I do not see a merger of portions.

Every new state had a larger movement behind it. Chattisgargh is the only state with a very small movement to achieve statehood.

Coming back to Telangana state, there is another angle to this state as Muslims in Hyd and Telangana region are heavily opposed to this statehood. INC between 2004 and 2009 had got back IM votebank from Mulayam types and I don't know how INC can pull this off without offending the IMs. The Hyd IMs hate pure Telanganites.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

ShyamSP wrote:Bellary is a part of Rayalaseema. Telengana is modern identity to signify Telugu speaking area of Hyderabad state. Rayalaseema was also with Nizam until it was given to the British so that region is also modern identity.

If idea is to split states what would Karnataka/Kannadigas/BJP do to prevent splitting Karnataka?
People of Bellary are not fighting to join Telangana. No one has raised that issue. I can say very clearly that unless INC wants inter-state riots and tensions, it will not include Bellary in Telangana. It would rival any TRS sponsored protest and then some. No political party in Karnataka will support Bellary to be integrated into Telangana, nor will the people.

All I am saying is, if people in telangana region of AP want a separate state, it is their decision. But please don't start demanding Bellary and/or other parts of karnataka. It will only lead to bad blood between Kannadigas and Telugus, and that is not desirable from anyone's PoV. People in Bellary areas bordering AP are comfortable with both Telugu and Kannada, and let that co-existence remain. Let no one poison the relationship between AP/Telangana/Karnataka by raising splitting of Karnataka regions to merge with AP/Telangana.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Again don't fight here for the misdeeds over there.

What ShyamSP is saying is that decision to split Andhra Pradesh will have fallout or ramifications in other areas.

Confident thing I heard is there wont such a state.

lets see.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

RaviBg wrote:
ShyamSP wrote:Bellary is a part of Rayalaseema. Telengana is modern identity to signify Telugu speaking area of Hyderabad state. Rayalaseema was also with Nizam until it was given to the British so that region is also modern identity.

People of Bellary are not fighting to join Telangana. No one has raised that issue. I can say very clearly that unless INC wants inter-state riots and tensions, it will not include Bellary in Telangana. It would rival any TRS sponsored protest and then some. No political party in Karnataka will support Bellary to be integrated into Telangana, nor will the people.

All I am saying is, if people in telangana region of AP want a separate state, it is their decision. But please don't start demanding Bellary and/or other parts of karnataka. It will only lead to bad blood between Kannadigas and Telugus, and that is not desirable from anyone's PoV. People in Bellary areas bordering AP are comfortable with both Telugu and Kannada, and let that co-existence remain. Let no one poison the relationship between AP/Telangana/Karnataka by raising splitting of Karnataka regions to merge with AP/Telangana.
Bellary has nothing to do with Telengana. It is a different Rayalaseema state movement that demands Bellary to be included. They protested for such but yet to burn buses though.

I'm just noting what these shitty state movements are demanding.
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

munna wrote: Smaller regional parties unless they have religious basis are bound to become resource constrained and unviable in the long run. Most of the smaller states have one of the major national parties in strong contention while in larger states its the regional parties that rule the roost (barring the joint AP). Even an Akali Dal that is rooted in Jatt Sikh clergy has to knock at BJP's doors to win elections similarly Chautala can only dream of overpowering INC if BJP is with him. Larger states by default develop there own ecosystems and develop stronger local parties as they are able to sustain themselves feeding off the state resources. In absence of big economies to back themselves up regional parties will not become too big for their own good and better still will be dependent on national parties to bring them home or be non-existent at all.
I hope so. We haven't seen the newer situation yet. Parties like TDP can rule all the AP states in future. For example DMK/AIDMK are primary parties in both TN and Pondy. The nuisance in smaller states is more parties will be for prime show.
munna wrote: The answer to your poser is that when there is ground swell for something some opportunist elements will always arise to take control of the situation and secure a deal for the ground swell. IF I go by the rakshaks here then KCR is a nobody or a pest at best, but look he managed to become an icon of the Telangana movement by doing a farce of a fast. AP is being partitioned by fast of KCR, similar opportunists will arise for trifurcation of UP, bifurcation of Maharashtra and a badly needed division of W Bengal.
So who decides that states are divided? In short, people will! If YSR were to be alive ironically enough the jingos of the forum would have been happy to see no partition at all. The INC is being opportunistic by using historic under currents in the state to achieve its political objectives. But then BJP, TDP and other regional parties too have pledged their support to the Telangana issue! So why to tar the new state and its people as part of some conspiracy. We are all Indians.
Regarding KCR pulling off Telangana is not true. He may not even win the elections after Telanagana is formed. Telangana sentiment (small or big) is there for a very long time since 1960s. The folks here are very simple and non-enterprenural as compared to Coastal AP folks or the Rayalaseema folks. On top of that Telangana folks are ruled by a brutal Nizam regime for a very long period and they seems to have lost the will power to be competetive and are with a disadvantage with respect to competetively rampaging Coastal AP folks in terms of resources or creating clouts/lobbies. Hence the formation of Takleef. This is in the mindset for several decaded and is not going to go away. I belong to a family who has real close relatives on either side and I have very personal experiences.

Coastal AP is very rich land as it is nothing but the land between Krishna and Godavari deltas. Even if you construct a 1000 dams in the upstream, the water will still reach this place. Now oil and gas are new finds here. This will become like Punjab if they also split Rayalseema from the rest of AP after Telangana formation.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Atleast Sri Potti Sriramulu died from fasting. This KCR had pseudo fast and was fed intravenously and is still alive!
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

ramana wrote:Atleast Sri Potti Sriramulu died from fasting. This KCR had pseudo fast and was fed intravenously and is still alive!
True. I wish Telangana is formed without KCR's involvement. I see the whole affair fishy that the central government suddenly deciding on Telangana formation after they fought so long to avoid its formation for such a long time. INC is ditching those who voted to INC as "an opposition to Telangana" during 2009.

Except the ego no one is going to lose anything even if this state is formed. We will have two or three CMs.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

Good news. Rayalaseema MLAs say NO to Telangana and are ready to mass-resign. Go Rayalaseema!!!

Coastal politicians yet to come out and say they will obstruct resolution and resign too.

Added later:
Vijayawada MP Lagadapati Rajagopal resigned
http://teluguflavours.com/politics/view ... 20resigned

Nellore joined
http://teluguflavours.com/politics/view ... volt%20now
Potti Sriramulu Nellore district people are agitating against the government's decision of initiating Telangana process. Andhra Pradesh is formed by the sacrifice of Potti Sriramulu's life and Nellore people wont let it happen stated an angry agitator.
All the people of Andhra Pradesh have invested in Hyderabad as it is a state capital and now a few selfish politicians are creating havoc by raising Telangana issue added the Nellore people. They are now planning to shut down their Universities and agitate till proper justice is done to the Nellore people.
Dasari
BRFite

Post by Dasari »

Lagadapati is close friend of YS Jagan. It is very clear now that the separate state for Telangana was announced to cut the influence of Jagan faction. Most likely INC will split in AP.
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

Muppalla wrote:...
Coastal AP is very rich land as it is nothing but the land between Krishna and Godavari deltas. Even if you construct a 1000 dams in the upstream, the water will still reach this place. Now oil and gas are new finds here. This will become like Punjab if they also split Rayalseema from the rest of AP after Telangana formation.
Any scientific backup for that statement. If your statement is true then this state's division would benefit both Andhra and Telangana in river water sharing. I am expecting many canals routed from Krishna and Godavari rivers to farmlands of Telangana. I am pretty much convinced that Godavari would thin up by the time it reaches Andhra districts hitting farmlands of west and east godavari. Krishna might be of some help but it should be routed upstream too.

I am an ABCT [Andhra Born Confirmed Telanganite]...so I want to see justice be done to both Mothers.
Coastal politicians yet to come out and say they will obstruct resolution and resign too.
Shyam Sir, Coastal people have no guts....very soft,polite people "methaka manushulu".... no noise making capacity like Telanganites or Rayalaseema folks. 1 or 2 try to whine and make some noise like talasani.....but Andhras in general think "if I am well, then all is well"..no unity...no integrity...I don't know why the power of Guntur Mirchi is not working on Andhras :|
No hard feelings Sire. I too come from Guntur..Tenali to be specific.

Its paining to see a State break like a piece of glass :(
vipins
BRFite

Post by vipins »

Telangana to become the 29th state
Hyderabad, Dec 10 (PTI) The decision to carve out a separate state of Telangana, which will take the total number of states in the Union to 29, comes at the end of a 40-year- old struggle for a distinct identity. This comes after a gap of nine years when three new states were carved out. Jharkhand split from Bihar on November 15, 2000 to become the 28th state while Uttarakhand split from UP on November 9 and Chattisgarh was created on November one the same year.

Andhra Pradesh has 23 districts, including the state capital Hyderabad, in three regions coastal Andhra (nine), Rayalaseema (four) and Telangana (ten).

Since its inception in 2001, the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) has been fighting for creation of a separate Telangana state. Telangana region now accounts for 119 of the 294 seats in the Assembly and 17 of the 42 Lok Sabha members. Telangan region comprises Hyderabad, Adilabad, Nizamabad, Karimnagar, Medak, Warangal, Rangareddy, Nalgonda, Khammam and Mahbubnagar.

The demand for a separate state began in 1969 but the Congress then had stoutly opposed any move for additional linguistic states. Disillusioned by it, firebrand Congress leader M Channa Reddy broke away and formed the Telangana Praja Samithi (Telangan Popular Association) in 1969. The first movement of a separate Telangana state started met with a gory end in 1971. As a counter, the "Jai Andhra" agitation was taken up in 1972-73.
anuj
BRFite

Post by anuj »

RamaY wrote:TRS hardly won less than 10 assembly seats. So the current agitation is nothing but blackmail politics.
I think people of telangana didn't believe they would get a separate state. Once telangana comes into existence, i believe rao will be made a god and TRS will rule over it pre-dominantly. Would i be wrong to say that TRS will choose to be in NDA's umbrella?

Ultimately, it will strike on the YSR clan of politics.
anuj
BRFite

Post by anuj »

ramana wrote:Do you know how many radar sat pics were taken by US to locate his helicopter crash site per Hindu? 20,000. Do you know how much computing power is needed to process those pics?
Woah. Getting chills.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

-xpost-
ShyamSP wrote:Great day for AP if all elected people resigned for united AP.

About 50 MLAs are resigning. More to go.

All elected people (MLAs, MLCs, MPs, Municiple Corporators) in Krishna and Guntur districts are resigning.
Charlie
BRFite

Post by Charlie »

ShyamSP wrote:-xpost-
ShyamSP wrote:Great day for AP if all elected people resigned for united AP.

About 50 MLAs are resigning. More to go.

All elected people (MLAs, MLCs, MPs, Municiple Corporators) in Krishna and Guntur districts are resigning.
Do you mean to say all of them resigned because the have genuine love for a United Telugu state or are these dramas to safeguard Hyderabad centric wealth accumulated by these.

IMHO, whatever politicos from Andhra, Rayalaseema are doing now is to make sure HYD is a seperate entity. Afterall a lifetimes earnings and property cannot be letoff just like that.

Greater Hyderabad shd be made a UT along with some parts of surrounding dist. for future expansion. This wd be good for all Telugu speaking people.
joshvajohn
BRFite

Post by joshvajohn »

The MLAS and MPS who resign want to continue the status quo of Andhra pradesh or wish to maintain the coastal Andhra people's wishes. It is simple - To keep control of Telangana region under them so that they will have many servants from this region in their houses and maintain poverty in this region. They also want to use Telangana region but much of developmental projects go to Coastal region (knowingly or unknowingly this has been happening). Though one languaga why should there be an imbalance in development? Ofcourse Telangana region some areas such as Hyderabad and a few other places developed byt compared to Coastal there is nothing. the Existence of Naxal movement itself shows that there is an under development in this part (ofcourse I do not argue Naxals as representatives of poor people). So when this status quo of exploitation and neglect of a particular region is questioned and a fair share is to be given then people in power tend to protest and wish to restore their power and authority of exploitation here. Without feeling marginalised telangana region would have never asked for a separate state. Also it is not imposed from outside rather people asked for themselves at least to some extent.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

joshvajohn,

replace coastal andhra with Indian govt/central govt/hindu/caste and replace them with poor people/maoist affected states/muslim/tribal and we know what you are talking about. These are straight from the maoist booklet.

Simply replacing those words in a "standard" template and shouting off is not going to work with words like "exploited", "impose", "marginalise", "authority" etc etc. They are pure rhetorical words without anything to show for them.

where is the glass of beer when you need it? How much do you about AP's history, its development, its statistics to use the above words?

You have just accused the whole of coastal andhra people as colonists, leechers and tyrants. I would definitely ask why?
Last edited by Virupaksha on 10 Dec 2009 14:08, edited 2 times in total.
AjayKK
BRFite

Post by AjayKK »

We have to look at the situation from the perspective of the Congress, its political crises, need to "care" for its stakeholders, the YSR family, and its votebank.

With the formation of the new state, K Rosaiah and YS Jagan can both be CMs, a new state with 12.5 Muslim population will come into picture as per 2001 census. If one drops Mahaboobnagar, perhaps the new state will come close to 15% . With the Lok Sabha being promised that Ranganathan report to be tabled in LS, there will be clamour for its implementation. The report was submitted two year back and calls for implementation of 10 percent reservation for Muslims and 5 percent for "other minorities." The only contention here is the real estate wealth owned by the YS Jagan family in and around Hyderabad. So with the creation of the new state, the space for the opposition would rather shrink, Congress gets to keep both states and also form a plank of solid votebank.

Ajit Singh who otherwise would not know the number of districts in Andhra, camped in Hyderabad for two days has lent his "support" to the Telangana statehood movement. Ajit Singh's next step is Harit Pradesh, the western part of UP which has a higher number of Muslim population, of course the move will be backed by Congress and SP later and a "popular mandate" will be created. Already , Ajit Singh has got Rahulji on board with Rahulji "agreeing to it". Ajit Singh said in a report today : "People have agreed to the need for Harit Pradesh and Rahul Gandhi has also agreed. We are waiting for action by the Centre and if they do not take any steps then we will begin our agitation," Singh said in New Delhi."

Harit Pradesh will of course be a dangerous experiment though with " 22 districts in five divisions: Meerut, Agra, Saharanpur, Bareilly and Moradabad and would have a higher Muslim population, roughly 30% "

Aaj Tealangana Pradesh , Kal Harit Desh ?!?
Last edited by AjayKK on 10 Dec 2009 14:16, edited 3 times in total.
ShyamSP
BRF Oldie

Post by ShyamSP »

joshvajohn wrote:The MLAS and MPS who resign want to continue the status quo of Andhra pradesh or wish to maintain the coastal Andhra people's wishes. It is simple - To keep control of Telangana region under them so that they will have many servants from this region in their houses and maintain poverty in this region. They also want to use Telangana region but much of developmental projects go to Coastal region (knowingly or unknowingly this has been happening). Though one languaga why should there be an imbalance in development? Ofcourse Telangana region some areas such as Hyderabad and a few other places developed byt compared to Coastal there is nothing. the Existence of Naxal movement itself shows that there is an under development in this part (ofcourse I do not argue Naxals as representatives of poor people). So when this status quo of exploitation and neglect of a particular region is questioned and a fair share is to be given then people in power tend to protest and wish to restore their power and authority of exploitation here. Without feeling marginalised telangana region would have never asked for a separate state. Also it is not imposed from outside rather people asked for themselves at least to some extent.
What about Rayalaseema which is impoverised than Telengana? Rayalaseema sacrificed a lot for united AP. After 50 years you think they should get big shaft? Same case with Uttara Andhra. What about them?

100+ resigned. Go AP!!!!!