Spy Story 4 - Glance of Saturn

The Military Issues & History Forum is a venue to discuss issues relating to the military aspects of the Indian Armed Forces, whether the past, present or future. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
niran
BRF Oldie

Re: Spy Story 4 - Glance of Saturn

Post by niran »

whoa! the research going in this will put top writers to shame.
magnificent.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

niran or someone, can you use some graphic software and conert those photos to line drawings? My son used to take photos and make them into line drawings for Flash animation.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Dileep asked my son to use a tracing technique in his graphics program. Lets see how it comes out. I was thinking black and white sketches like the ones in Ponniyin Selvan by Kalki. The Macmillan edition
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

ramana wrote:niran or someone, can you use some graphic software and conert those photos to line drawings? My son used to take photos and make them into line drawings for Flash animation.
Saar i know two methods

(a) is using a software, i use Fotosketcher for ease of use, this one is free, currently
version 2.0.
e.g.

of course the colors can be adjusted to the likings.
though it is easy, sometimes there is a need for the tortuous route.
me uses "GIMP" another freeware :mrgreen:
the steps are
-Select the image
- go to Filters>> edge detect>> edge>> apply
-go to colors>> desaturate>> apply
-go to filters>> Artistic>> cartoon>> apply
-go to filters>> Blur>> gaussian blur>> (radius should be around 0.7) apply
-go to filters>>enhance>>sharpen>> apply.

e.g.

adjustment according to the taste, need, is always possible.
and oh! please always remember to save the product in different folder
to the original photo.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

another photo using photosketcher

using GIMP
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Your color version has Matisse quality! Very impressionist! Lets try a few more times.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

how about this
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Can you make the greys even more lighter and the blacks more dark to give the impression of outline?

Thanks, ramana

Image of a typical illustration in color using Tealpaint from google cache

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

GIMP has impressionist and oil as filter options. the colour hue mode might be used for finetuning.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

this is the best i can do, with Gimp. guess, it should be the one the user to decide.

PS: Maulana Dileep Khan, i sincerely apologize to pollute this thread, AdM big R will edit out when finished.
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

Can I get the link to Spy Story 3..
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

bksahu wrote:Can I get the link to Spy Story 3..
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=3&t=5380
bksahu
BRFite -Trainee

Post by bksahu »

James B wrote:
bksahu wrote:Can I get the link to Spy Story 3..
http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=3&t=5380
Thanks a ton James!!!!
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Chapter 7

Sreejith stood near to the huge lamp, patterned like a banyan tree, in front of the gatehouse and peered inside. The narrow opening did not offer much to see within, and the crowd of people jostling to get in through that made it worse. The lamps were getting lit, as the sun has set and darkness has started to spread. The orderly chaos of devotees queuing up behind the security check was happening to his right, but that, or pretty much anything else that went around in the temple complex, was registering in his mind.

“Krishna, help this destitute.” he prayed, seeing the 'divine boyish form*' as detailed by the sage Melpathur, in his minds eye. It was the image that always appeared, burned in into his mind, as his late mother described it as she explained Narayaneeyam to him and Saumya. He was there, like Sudama of the legend, with everything dedicated to the lord, and trusting in his infinite kindness. He was dead tired after the long, long bus journey that took him from the hills, across the plains and into the coast. His body was complaining terribly about the hunger, but his mind was not feeling it. The injury on his head felt like a load of bricks being held there.

He was in good spirits during the trek down the hills in the morning. He had thrown away the phone, which is the obvious link to trace him. Now all he need to do is to hide away somewhere, without leaving a trace. One of those hill resorts would be fine. No one really cared about others there. If things became too hot, he can move to some place in Tamil Nadu over the porous state border as well. He took a dip in the river pamba, taking care not to wet his bandage. Feeling refreshed, he ate breakfast before going across the bridge to the roadhead on the other bank. He hadn't decided where to go yet, but he will, once he reach the bus stand.

The visit to the ATM changed all that. He wanted to draw some cash. It won't be a good idea to leave his trace beyond pamba by using his cards. On top of that, he had to buy some clothes and stuff right away, as all he had was the black pilgrims attire, the blanket and the towel, and the shops at this remote town can't be expected to accept plastic either.

He wasn't concerned when the first time the card was rejected. He tried it again, and then punched in the PIN very carefully. Still the same “Access Denied” message.

A chill started to rise from his toes, upwards.

Quickly, he took out the sole credit card he had with him. That too, showed the same result. He realized what is going on.

He took a glance at the embedded camera on the ATM machine. The one that recorded everything that goes on in the kiosk, and sent to the bank. He then did something he would never do normally.

He moved his face close to the camera and flipped the bird at it, and mouthed the proper profanity that goes with it.

He turned, and with whatever strength remained in him, shuffled out of the ATM kiosk. He almost collapsed onto to half wall made of concrete, and leaned onto the electric post to stabilize himself. The world seemed to come down in pieces around him in a whirlwind. All his cards are blocked. If someone is upto such a drastic step, he is indeed in deep trouble. No wonder his brother-in-law advised him to go hiding.

But what would he do? He had cash hardly over two thousand, and had the clothes he had on. Where would he go? How would he survive?

For a moment, he even thought of giving it all up, and take the next bus back home. Let the NIA arrest him, and do whatever they want. He is honestly innocent, and his folk can get him out of the brig eventually.

But the image of a scholarly face, full of grey hairs and a pair of piercing eyes came to his mind. He personally knew Nambi Narayanan, the ISRO scientist who got entangled in a fabricated spy case. He knew the troubles he went through. The physical and mental torture. The permanent damage to the reputation. He knew the way his family suffered. The entire circle of relatives shun them. Neighbours stopped talking to them. Even an autorickshaw driver kicking them out into pouring rain.

All because of a fabricated scandal. Not to think about the hit it had on the space programme of the country.

No. He can't fall victim to something like that. He should not fall easy. He should hold off as far as possible, while his folk figure out what to do. Maybe they can get advance bail. Maybe they can get evidence that he is innocent. He should do what his brother-in-law advised. He is the only one he got to trust.

Apart from the lord himself, that is.

It took him several minutes to recover from the slump. Finally, he stood up and after adjusting the bundle on his back, he walked back to a location where he had a view to the hill, beyond which the temple hid from view.

“Ayyappa, show me the way, lord.” He whispered, with his hands coming together to pray. He almost fell into a meditation, seeing in his mind the deity he missed to see last night.

The roar of the diesel engine, and the blow of an air horn woke him from the trance. A state transport bus was roaring past behind him, almost throwing him over. It went forward, turned around and parked at the boarding point that was a hundred feet away.

The horn blasted again, inviting him, as he read the destination written on the board.

“Guruvayoor”

Leaving sigh, Sreejith walked up and boarded the bus, dumping himself into a vacant seat on the right side.

*divya kaiSora vEsham: naaraayaNiiyam 100:1
Sachin
Webmaster BR

Post by Sachin »

The ISRO Spy Ring case.
"Smart" Vijayan an Inspector in K.P then triggered the controversy. Finally every one was acquited including the IPS Officer Raman Srivastava. "Smart" Vijayan still is in service as a Deputy Superindentent, and maintains that if the accused feel that they have been framed they can go to the courts and Vijayan will deal them there.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

The sloka from naarayaNeeyam (100:1) is:

agrE paSyAmi thEjO nibiDathara kaLaayaavalI lObhanIyam
pIyUshAplAvithOham thadanu thadudarE divya kaiSOra vEsham
thAruNyArambha ramyam parama sukha rasaasvAda rOmAnjchithaamgair
AvItham naaradAdyai: vilasathu upanishad sundarI maNDalaiScha:

I perceive ahead of me, a dense, comely, effulgent halo, bluish in hue, like a thick bouquet or ring of Kalaya (blue lilies) flowers, by which I feel steeped in nectar; in its inner core, I behold a divine boyish form, fetchingly handsome in his budding adolescence, who is surrounded by Narada and other Sages, with hairs standing on end on their limbs, signifying their thrilling experience of Supreme Bliss, and by a bevy of beautiful maidens personifying the Upanishads (or the Gopis of Brindavan)
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Chapter 8

“Are you sleeping, swami?”

Sreejith woke up from deep thought, and found himself sitting on the stone pavement of the outer sanctum of the temple. He might have even dozed off. It took a moment for him to regain his bearings. It was getting late in the evening. He had participated in the narayaneeyam chanting there, and after that concluded, sat there and his mind had wandered off.

He found a young man, in fact someone in the late teens, standing in front of him. He wore a safron mundu and a safron shawl typical to the temple staff. The phrase 'Om namO bhagavathE vAsudEvAya#' was written on the border of the shawl. A pearly bright smile sparkled from the dark complexion of the face, with a pair of kind, but refreshingly mischievous bright eyes restlessly scanning around. The young face had the fuzz of facial hair that just began to get black. The ample locks of hair was lazily thrown back, leaving a few to sprinkle around the forehead. The customary marks of sandal paste adored the forehead, chest and the shoulders. The white sacred thread of namboothiris lay across the young, still muscular chest. There was something very familiar and reassuring with him. Sreejith looked at him, with a kind of “am I in trouble” look in his eyes.

“Swami, the sanctum is going to be closed soon. All will have to vacate the grounds then.” The man said matter of factly. Sreejith tried to rise. As his legs had gone to sleep under him, he had some difficulty to do so. Finally he stood up, supporting himself by leaning one hand on a pillar. The wound on his head hurt, and he felt a little dizzy.

“Hey, what happened to your head?” the man asked.

“I got hit by a bunch of coins at Sabarimala.” Sreejith said sheepishly.

“Oh! Man!” He sighed. “So, you are coming back from the hills? I thought you are on the onward trip”. He said, peering at the bundle still on the shoulder of Sreejith.

“What can I say? I think lord Ayyappa sent me down here to Guruvayoor”. Sreejith sighed, thinking of all the misfortunes he had passed through in the past 24 hours. “Maybe to solve my misfortunes” He continued.

“There are no misfortunes. Haven't you heard? Whatever happened was for good, and whatever going to happen would be for good*?” The man said with a disarmingly beautiful smile. Sreejith smiled back, and stretched himself in preparation to move out.

“Where are you from, swami?” he asked, with the indication that the conversation was not over. “Ettumanoor”. Sreejith remembered the answer he gave to Ayyappan Pillai, and replied without hesitation.

“Hmm, home of lord Shiva. Good.” The man nodded, with the naughty smile flashing again. Sreejith instantly felt guilty about the lie.

“Are you a staff here?” Sreejith asked, more for courtesy sake.

“Well, you could say that. I belong to a hereditary employee family.” He said. The temple have several families who had been serving there for generations.

“Well, then. I will take leave.” Sreejith bid goodbye to his new acquaintance. But he was not yet willing to leave Sreejith alone.

“Where are you staying?” He asked. Suddenly Sreejith realized that he dhadn't yet found a place to spend the night. Lots of people slept in the premises, wherever they can find a roof. The front of the temple have a huge roofed area in addition to a small auditorium, all of which is used by the pilgrims who are unwilling to rent a room. Given his present circumstances, that might be a good choice.

“Oh, I will curl up somewhere in the shed” Sreejith said dismissively.

“If you are going to spend a few days here, I can get you a cheap place to stay” The man offered.

“The matter is, I don't have much money” Sreejith said, trying to hide the tremble in his voice.

“They take Rs 20 per head. It is like a dormitory”. He said. “Take a look, and stay only if you like.”

Sreejith thought for a moment, and nodded his head. He need to stay somewhere for a few days, so why not this? He sure can afford the rate. “Where is it?” He asked.

“Come, I will show you.” The man said, and started walking towards the northern gate of the grounds. Sreejith followed.

They walked a few hundred metres through one of the narrow lanes, and entered a shabby ground through an old rickety gate. There was an old house within, with a single electric lamp shining over the front door. The man went and knocked at the door. An old man opened one of the panes and poked his head out. “Who is it?” He asked in the grumpiest voice that Sreejith had ever heard in his life.

“It's me. Unni. Do you have a mat's space available? I have someone here.” He said.

“Unni? Which Unni? I don't know any Unni.” The man muttered himself, but deigned to open the door fully and step out.

“You are getting old, Vasu Nair!” The man said playfully. “you forgot me?” He asked, bending a bit down to bring his face in level with the old man's face.

“Oh, oh. Now I remember! The man said, but it was clear that he had not. “Is the mat space for this 'scholar'?” He asked, staring at Sreejith.

“Yes. His head is injured a bit, so can't sleep in the shed there.” He said, pointing to the bandage on Sreejith's head. The old man followed the gesture and stared at the bandage for a few seconds.

“You didn't get it in a fight or something, did you?” He asked Sreejith.

“No. Someone threw a bunch of coins at sabarimala.” Sreejith said feeling a bit ashamed about this trial.

“It is good if it is that way” The man muttered. “There is one space, but there are two Bengali folk in that room. Are you OK with that?” He asked.

“That is OK. I don't mind.” Sreejith said.

“You may not mind, but I may have to get in a fight with those. And by the look of it, they seemed to be a bit rough” the man said, more to himself.

“I can't fight or anything” Sreejith said. Unni, who was observing the exchange, winked at Sreejith, with a reassuring smile.

“50 Rupees Advance” The man said, without warning. Sreejith took out Rs 100 note and gave him.

“I have no change.” He grunted.

“Keep it. I might stay longer.” Sreejith said with a smile. The man's countenance changed instantly. He was expecting a haggle, and was surprised by the readily forthcoming payment.

“I will show you the place. If those guys try roughing you up, just yell for Vasu Etta” He said with a smile.

“Then, let me take leave.” Unni said to Sreejith. “I have work pending at the Temple. We may meet again when you come to the temple.”

“Certainly” Sreejith said, and watched the young man walk away briskly and disappear in the darkness beyond the rickety gate.

Vasu Nair led Sreejith to the inside, which was a narrow halls with old doors opening to it. He pushed open one room, which was hardly big enough for three people to sleep. There was a thin bedroll on one side, and gunny bag and a few cartons at the end.

“Those guys are traders in second hand stuff. “ Vasu told Sreejith. “I had been telling them not to bring their stuff in here. I have to throw these things out to make room for you.”

“It is fine. I will curl up somewhere here. We will settle things in the morning.” Sreejith said. He was feeling dead tired and wanted to literally fall down somewhere.

“Then it is OK.” Vasu said, visibly relieved. “The toilet is over there” He pointed out the door at the extreme end. “Running water will be available only till 7:00am. You have to carry water thereafter. Call me if you need anything”. He said rather mechanically and left.

It took some effort for Sreejith to get his blanket out from the bundle. He spread it on the dirty, bare floor and lied down. Within moments, he was asleep.

#: I salute lord vaasudev. A phrase liberally used around the guruvayoor temple.
*: The most quoted phrase from Gita.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Chapter 9

Sreejith lay face down on the cement floor, polished by millions of feet over years. His legs extended out, and hands stretched over his head, touching each other in the bud symbol. He was choking with emotion. “Holy goddess kurumba, help me!” he whispered, as tears rolled down his cheeks. He was visibly sobbing.

The trip to Kodungalloor was not planned. It was the third day of his exile, and he was dying to get updates from home. Calling home from Guruvayoor was out of question, since all the telephone numbers of his relatives might be under surveillance. He need to go to some other place and make the call. He walked to the bus stand and got into the first bus that moved out. It happened to go to Kodungalloor, the town with the temple of goddess durga, immortalized by the story of 'chilappathikaaram'. It was the town where the king of cheras built the temple for Kannaki, the woman who burnt the pandya capital of Madurai in her rage. It is one of the few temples where the goddess is worshiped in the saktheya tradition.

Sreejith got down at the bus station and walked to the temple. He got into the first telephone booth, and called Vijay.

“Etta, it is me, Sree.” He said when the call was picked up.

“Sree! You are allright, no?” Vijay asked in a clearly excited voice.

“Not bad Etta! What is going on.” He couldn't help asking. His anxiety was killing him

“Don't tell me anything. Just listen”. Vijay said in a serious voice. “They have taken out a warrant upon you. Thing are a bit serious, son.”

Sreejith's heart sank.

“What was I supposed to have done, Etta?” He asked.

“They are not telling that. The case is with the special court of NIA. Mr Tyagi was produced there in secret and was remanded to NIA custody at an undisclosed location. I was told you would be dealt the same way if caught.” Sreejith could hear Vijay's voice breaking up a bit, but he tried to recover quickly.

“What about advance bail?” Sreejith asked, clinging to a faint hope.

“We are moving it to the sessions court here. But the advocate said not to put too much hope on that.”

“What should I do, etta?” Sreejith was almost crying.

“You sit tight, wherever you are.” Vijay said, his voice breaking up.

Sreejith couldn't bring himself to speak. A few moments passed.

“Sree” Vijay called.

“Yes, etta.”

“NIA had asked me to report if you called. I am sure they are tapping this line as well. I am saying this so that you know that I will have to report this call.” Vijay said, rather mechanically.

“I know etta. Don't worry.” Sreejith said. He felt pity on this man. He is a government servant. He can't do something that is illegal, but still he must help the only brother of his wife.

“Sree, do you know a Ravikant Hegde? He is from another company in your building it seems” Vijay asked rather hesitantly. A chill went down Sreejith's spine.

“Yes, etta? What with him?” A suspicion was already forming in his mind.

“They are looking for him also.” Vijay said. He seemed to be carefully picking his words as he spoke.

A screaming sound was heard from the other end, and then a loud crash as the cell phone fell to the ground. There was more bumps and crashes as it was hurriedly picked up. Panting and sobbing was then heard loudly.

“Saumya, is that you?” Sreejith asked.

A heartbreaking scream was heard, which went right through Sreejith's heart, splitting it into two. He held onto his throat to prevent sobbing.

“Is that you, sister?” He asked again

“Sree? My child!!” Saumya choked, unable to speak anymore.

“Hey sis. Don't cry. I am alright.” Somehow he found the courage to say that. Men get that when a woman depends upon them to be strong. He could hear Vijay admonishing her for crying. She was just three years older than him, but after the demise of their mother, suddenly she tranformed into that role. Sreejith sometimes used to complain that she is treating him just like her own son, the six years old Arjun.

“Where are you?” She asked among the sobs, but she stopped in mid sentence. “No. No. Don't say that.” She wailed again, unable to speak further.

“Sis, I am doing fine. Vijay Ettan is taking care of everything. Now, be a good girl and cheer up. Everything is going to be fine.” He said, summoning all the courage he could muster.

“When would I see you again?” She wailed, her voice hoarse and hardly recognizable.

“In due time, sis. Let the problems get solved.” He said.

“Sree,” Vijay's voice came on line. “Try to call day after.” He could still hear the sobbing and wailing of Saumya in the background.

“Certainly etta. I will call” He said, fighting back the emotions.

“Take care, son!” and the phone clicked off.

Sreejith held the receiver in his hand and stood frozen for a moment. He then got out of the cubicle and mechanically paid the operator.

His legs instinctively led him to the temple complex. Even without entering the inner sanctum, Sreejith fell in front of the main entrance, in a saashtanga namaskaram. He saw the goddess in his mind. The story, made immortal by the younger brother of the chera emperor, echoed in his ears. The girl who grew up like a little princess on the banks of Kaveri. The scintillating bride who felt to have won the world. The dutiful wife who followed her husband through good and bad. The young woman who suffered for no fault of hers. The fire of revenge that burned the whole city that wronged her.

And finally ended up as the goddess who give salvation to millions.

A few minutes down there had somewhat calmed his mind. He finished the prayer and looked up towards the main entrance of the temple. What he saw was the round blade of the naandakam held by one of the devotees. He felt the unstoppable urge to rush up, grab it and split his own head with it, ending it all. He slowly raised himself up, not taking his eyes off the sword.

As he stood up, the devotee, a woman in her fifties, clad in red, and with knotted hair, walked straight to him. She was one of those 'goddess oracles' who goes into a trance to get in person of the goddess and give revelations. She came closer and stood two feet away, sword in hand, and smiling at him with her pan stained worn out teeth. A pair of bloodshot eyes stared at him from the deep sockets. The sword, around three feet in lengh, and ending in a semicircle, was held vertically in her right hand. A bronze plate in the left hand contained holy ash, red turmeric paste, and flowers that were offerings for the goddess.

“Why? Does my son wish to have the naandakam?” She asked in a deep broken voice, with intonation normally used by the oracles in trance. Sreejith stood there, dumbstruck, and unable to speak.

“It is not yet time, son! It is not yet time!” The lady muttered. Though her eyes were locked on him, she seemed to be not in her own sense. More like the trance they assume in rituals. She took a pinch of the red turmeric paste from the plate she was carrying, and made a mark on his forehead. He felt like an electric shock hit him. Suddenly she turned around and walked away. Her blood red robes waving in the wind, and the curved blade of the sword moving in rhythm to the firm steps.

Sreejith didn't feel like entering the sanctum anymore. He proceeded to take the walk around instead.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

That was Onam Bonus!!
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Superb! Simply Superb esp. the last part! 8)
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

amazing! where is ss-3? Any links?
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

wow! this is getting interesting. good work.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Awesome. Wish we could illustrate the scenes. The description of Unni and the lady oracle.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Well, the legend of the 'thaaruNyaarambha ramyam kaiSOra vEsham' is a well known one at the place. Ranjith borrowed it for Nandanam, and so did I for this work. But contrary to the popular belief, I don't think the yadava boy ever resembled Aravind (Or Nitish Bharadwaj for that matter). The description is inspired by the Cadbury Shubh Arambh ad.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

awesome, I've to say there is a definite maturing of your skills. much as I am a fan of SS-1 and subsequent ones, this is by far the best.
armenon
BRFite

Post by armenon »

DileepEtta,

The last installment was kind of goosebump raising stuff. Loving it. Keep'em coming.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

done :)
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

Dileep wrote:Baj, I wanted to create an astrologically accurate chart for him, but as I kind of 'lost touch' with the science, I found it to take a lot more time than I thought.
Sirji,
Excellent story.
1. Chart wise, may I suggest Aries Lagna? With Ex. Mars in the 10th house (Capricorn) of career? This is what made the astrologer think he was in Police. But for a technical education let him have Mercury in the fourth, Cancer. His Dusthanas should have malefic to give him the strength to fight back, so how about Rahu in the 8th? Saturn in the seventh to delay marriage, and to aspect or glance at the 9th, causing trouble to Venus. But seventh Libra makes ex. position for Saturn, so in the end everything will come out OK!
2. Please take your time in writing this story. Please do not go with people asking for more installments quickly. Original stuff takes time to ripen.
Gautam
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Sarkarji, Speaking from practical experience? 8)
g.sarkar
BRF Oldie

Post by g.sarkar »

ramana wrote:Sarkarji, Speaking from practical experience? 8)
Ramanaji,
Just a humble student. Have much to be humble about.
Gautam
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Chapter 10

“Ravikant Hegde”

Of course he knew him. He is the founder of Skytech, a startup at the incubation centre in the building where he worked. There were hardly a few people wemployed there, and there was no indication of them moving out to a standard unit anytime soon. Skytech worked on some innovative technology in communication systems. Sreejith knew a bit more about that company than the general population around.

Sreejith first met Hegde at the joint Onam celebration held at their building. Hegde had just moved into the incubation area, and seemed like a bit lost in the crowd. He happened to be next to Sreejith in the buffet queue, and Sreejith had to help him choose the food, as he was under the impression that all Kerala food was non vegetarian. The introduction soon grew into saying hi to each other at the corridor.

One day, Sreejith was surprised to see Hegde standing in the lobby, apparently waiting for him. He asked if Sreejith would mind dropping into his company for a moment. It appeared to be an attempt in fishing for talent, so Sreejith tried to find some excuse.

“No. I am not offering you a job or anything. I need some help in a technical matter only” Hegde said with a disarming smile. Sreejith couldn't resist that, and they ended up talking over a cup of tea.

Somehow, Hegde seemed to know a whole lot about Sreejith. So much so that to get him to worry a bit. Sreejith was an expert in security systems. That was easy to figure. Breeze Technologies was never shy of touting their capabilities, and they have many technical papers with his name on it. But the specifics of the technologies was never really published. But Hegde seem to have a handle on those.

“Well, I researched a lot to see who can help me” Hegde waved it off, with the same disarming smile. “I have become a great fan of yours” He said.

Finally, he came to the real intent. He is facing some difficulty with a fast key generator, and he needed help. He was wondering if Sreejith could help, or at least find someone who could.

Working outside his company was definitely a no for Sreejith. He worked on very critical and sensitive projects, and the non disclosure and non compete agreement he had signed had more pages than many project proposals he used to prepare. He expressed his helplessness to Hegde.

But Hegde was not willing to leave it like that. He fetched a block diagram of the key generator, and started describing how great and innovative it is. The technologist within Sreejith was very much impressed with the product. It explored ways and techniques that was hitherto unexplored. It looked great indeed.

At least on paper, and provided it worked as expected.

Hegde disclosed that they have some problem with the skew and synchronization between the modules, and needed help on that. He would not need actual work to be done. His engineers are more than capable, if someone got them the right insights and breakthroughs.

Sreejith had trouble in hiding his excitement. This was good stuff. He had, in the past, worked on a true random based key generator, but the technology unveiled by Hegde was far better than that. It would be great to work on that.

“Well, think about it. Maybe you can work on it while you shower.” Hegde laughed heartily at the joke, swinging back and forth in his chair.

Sreejith thought about it during the day and deep into the night. It was too good to let go. Technically, it is the equivalent of hiking a steep hill. However, it was impossible to officially work on it.

Finally, he decided to offer his casual help, and to refuse any monetary compensation.

Maybe, it was the worst decision he ever made. Thought Sreejith, sitting in the bus, back to Guruvayoor. Though he didn't know how exactly things connected, the news that Ravikant Hegde being arrested seemed to imply that his current predicament is related to the help he rendered to him.

But, how can it be termed as spywork. Not by any stretch of imagination. He provided ideas and exchanged e-mails with Hegde. A few instances he even visited their lab and took a look at things. But how can that be classified as espionage? When he was not in any way compromising his employer's secrets.

And even if it was professionally wrong, how can the government, and that too the NIA, get involved, and go to such extent to hunt him down? He did not work on any government projects. It was the defense projects division of his company that did. There was an invisible wall between the divisions at Breeze Tech. He was working on purely commercial projects, mostly for customers in US and Japan. Could they incite action by the NIA. That is implausible.

Still, he strongly felt that his little indiscretion with Skytech was behind the troubles. This gave him some solace, because most probably it would be a misunderstanding.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Thanx everyone for all the encouragements.

Thanx Gautam for the chart info. If this ever gets published, it shall be used (with due credit of course)

I am inclined to make this into a weekly issue, to post on Saturdays.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

marten, thanks!
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Chapter 11

When Sreejith reached back to Vasu's, that was the unofficial name for the rickety lodging place that old man Vasu ran, there was a minor commotion going on. Two men were yelling in the most menacing voice in severely broken up malayalam. Vasu, despite his frail old form, was holding up against them with his brassy harsh voice. Sreejith hesitated a moment at the main door, before venturing tentatively into the hall, where the commotion originated.

He saw two men, tall and well built, standing in front of the room in which he slept the previous night. Both had curly, unkempt beards and short trimmed hair. One was a bit younger and fairer than the other. Both were keeping up the stream of complaints and expletives, which left poor Vasu at a bit of disadvantage. Neither party seem to listen to, much less understand, what the other yelled.

As they were right in front of the entrance to 'his room', Sreejith was a bit at the loss. Obviously, you don't just 'excuse me' with these kind of people to get a right of way. So, he lingered there for a moment, undecided what to do. He then noticed that his bundle, the only material possession he currently had, had been unceremoniously disposed off on the floor of the hall.

“Who told you give room?” The older of the men yelled.

“It is a three bed room. I can give it out as I please” Vasu yelled back.

“That will not happen. We pay rent.” The younger chipped in

“It is our room”, the older one said.

“I told you it is three bed room when you came only.” Vasu insisted.

“You lie, old man.” The older man pointed his finger menacingly at Vasu.

“You called me a liar? You are a liar” Vasu said, as if ready to thrash the much stronger opponent. “It is a three bed room” He repeated.

“No one is coming into our room” The younger man yelled, waving in the direction of the room behind them.

Sreejith realized what is going on. Those two are the 'room-mates' that old Vasu Nair told him about, and tactically forgot to mention about the physique. Those guys hadn't shown up in the previous night. They might have gone bonkers when they saw his bundle and blanket in their room when they came, he thought.

“So what! Should you throw out other people's stuff?” Vasu yelled at the men, as he noticed Sreejith standing there, watching the battle. He found enough time to flash an excuse of a smile towards him.

“Throw out?” You messed with our belongings!” The younger one accused.

“No one touched your stuff! Ask him! He is your room-mate” Vasu Nair pointed at Sreejith. A sudden fear engulfed Sreejith, and he wanted to kill the old Nair for drawing him into the issue.

“We don't ask people. You gave us room!” thankfully, the men didn't take the bait.

Sreejith had no choice but to intervene.

“What is is, Vasu Etta? What is going on?” He asked, even though it was pretty clear what is going on.

“Oh, my boy! These guys are giving hell for poor Vasu.” He lamented.

“He cheated you. It is our room!” The older of the men told Sreejith, with his voice remarkable devoid of hostility.

“I told you! It is a three bed room.” Vasu insisted.

“You didn't!” The younger man jumped in. “Did too” Vasu followed up.

“Stop! Stop! Sreejith raised his voice. “I don't want any trouble. I will not use the room if you don't like.” He told the men.

“How can that be? Where will I accommodate you?” Vasu Nair asked, apparently with real concern.

“I don't know! Don't you have another room available?” Sreejith hadn't thought about that.

“No. I don't have any.” Vasu said without hesitation.

“Then I will find some other place.” Sreejith said. Vasu Nair startled a bit.

“No No No.” He hastily said. “No need of that. This is a three bed room, and they have to accommodate you”

“Nothing doing!”The men insisted. “We will not allow anyone else in the room.”

“Then you pay for three rooms” Vasu Nair demanded. The men looked at each other with a confused look. The old man said something to the younger in their own language. The younger shook his head in disagreement.

“Nothing doing” The old man said, with an air of finality.

“Nothing?” Vasu Nair raised his voice. “You take a three bed room, and you can't get away paying for two!”

The men exchanged some more words, and then it went into an animated conversation. It sounded like Hindi, but it didn't make any sense Sreejith. Vasu or the other spectators of the event didn't seem to take any interest in it. Sreejith sharpened his ears and tried to figure what they are speaking.

“OK, how much you want extra?” finally, the old man asked Vasu.

“Thirty rupees.” Vasu Nair said, casting a nervous glance in the direction of Sreejith.

“Thirty? How is that?” The man asked with a bit of genuine surprise.

“Two beds, sixty, three beds, ninety. Give thirty more” Vasu said, signing the numbers with his fingers.

Slimy old man! Sreejith told himself. He took thirty rupees instead of twenty.

“What kind of logic?” The young man asked. “We pay ten.”

“I want thirty. Or you allow this man to stay.” Vasu insisted.

“We pay only ten.” The oloder man said firmly.

“OK, pay twenty-five” Old Vasu relented a bit.

They are going to haggle the whole evening away, Sreejith thought. He was getting a bit amused by the proceedings.

The men started another session of their private consultation. The young man seemed to admonish the older one a bit. Sreejith strained his ears and brain to figure what they talked.

“OK, take twenty, that's enough” The older man said, finally reaching an agreement with the younger companion. With some half hearted reluctance, Vasu Nair accepted the deal. The men had to top up their advance, but after the deal was made, they went back to their room happy.

Sreejith picked up his bundle and followed Vasu Nair to his den, uncertain about what to do. He hadn't noticed Sreejith, till he locked up the money.

“Oh, you? Kid! What do you want?” He asked innocently.

“I want the rest of my money.” Sreejith said, a bit angry about the man's show.

“Oh, you don't need to go, son. If you can adjust with sleeping this night in the hall, I might get a slot free tomorrow.”

Sreejith was tired. Moreover, he was short of money to look for another lodging, which was going to be much more expensive than this shack. He was about to agree, when he realized the rules of the game.

“Fine. I pay ten rupees for the hall space only.” He said with all the seriousness.

“No. It is twenty, whether room or hall.” Vasu Nair said.

“What kind of a deal is that, Etta? You must give a discount for making me sleep in the hall” Sreejith said.

“OK. Pay fifteen” Vasu Nair said, as he was tired himself and had his share of haggling for the day. He lifted up his ankle onto a stool and proceeded to massage it.

“Er, Vasu Etta” Sreejith asked.

“Yes, Son?” He replied, without taking his eyes off his ailing ankle.

“Are those guys Bengali?” He tried his best to sound innocent.

“Sure, haven't you heard them speak?” Vasu asked.

“Oh, that was Bengali, is it?” Sreejith said, and took leave from the man. He didn't tell the man that he spoke passable Bengali, and this language is not it.

It took him some thought to realize that they spoke urdu. That too not the local variety.

Later, as he lay there on the floor, sleepless for various reasons, his thoughts kept coming back to those two men. As he reflected more on them, their looks, attitude, mannerisms, he became more uncomfortable.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

^^^^^^^^^

Though late , here is the sketch , both in negative and positive set

Does it qualify as one??? Ramana garu
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Dileep wrote: Later, as he lay there on the floor, sleepless for various reasons, his thoughts kept coming back to those two men. As he reflected more on them, their looks, attitude, mannerisms, he became more uncomfortable.
any writer who can buildup such scenario with so much ease, is a Great Writer. Fantastique, Saar. me is loving it.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Chapter 12

It was a dark night. The sole electric lamp shining in the front was almost completely covered by cobwebs and soot, that it cast only a faint light around. The sides and back yard of the old lodging house was in complete darkness. The town had already fell asleep, and the peace and quiet was disturbed only by the odd vehicle that brought in the pilgrims to the various resting places.

A dark figure walked down the narrow alley, and stopped at the corner where the street light did not reach. It stopped there for a moment and then, with some effort, climbed onto the compound wall. With silent steps, it took a few steps over the wall itself, and then deftly slipped down, to stand in the courtyard of the old lodging house. It stood there for a couple of minutes, taking in the surroundings. It then walked towards the building, with a remarkable familiarity.

It reached the threshold of the inner yard of the old building. This was on the back side, and was almost totally dark. After waiting a few more minutes, it crept up to one of the windows. It bent down, almost into a sitting position, and carefully removed the shawl covering the head and upper body.

Sreejith rolled the shawl up into a string and tied it around his waist, and without any sound, put his eyes into a gap in the old window shutter. Taking care not to make even the sound of his breathing, he peered into the room.

After his curiosity was raised on the occupants of Room No 6, he had noticed that they spend a lot of time in the night awake in their room, often chatting in hushed tones. He carefully moved his mat down closer to the door. He could hear hushed conversation, but nothing was intelligible.

Then he heard keys clicking. Like someone typing on a computer. That really surprised him. He got up very carefully, and crept upto the door to see if he can sneak a look.

The typing sound abruptly stopped, and he could hear the sound of someone getting up. He immediately started shuffling dreamily towards the toilet. He hadn't moved a few feet away from the door, before the door opened and the younger man peered out into the hall. Sreejith had to fight hard the urge to look back. He just continued his shuffle towards the toilet. As he reached the end of the hall, he heard the door close again.

He took a leak and came back to his mat. He lay there, very still and pretended to go to sleep. It took what seemed like ages, before the door creaked again. He struggled to maintain his normal breating rhythm, despite the rush of adrenaline. The door creaked close again, and the sound of typing resumed.

The next morning, the men made friendly eye contact with Sreejith, and smiled. He felt their eyes drilling into him. He put on his most innocent face, and continued brushing the teeth.

In the afternoon, he took a survey of the surroundings and realized that Room No 6 has a window with wooden shutters in the rear. A close examination revealed that one of the planks, in fact had weathered out to offer a gap. Some innocuous effort with a rusted nail has widened the gap enough to offer a view inside. He could not use it that night because Vasu Nair, though late in his promise by a day, had finally got him a room of his own.

He didn't loose any time the next evening. During the day, he walked multiple times in the roads around the house, planning his approach. He spent the evening at the temple, and towards midnight, after the first act of the krishnanattam play, he started his walk back to the lodge. He reached the target without much trouble, and eagerly looked inside.

The two guys were sitting on the floor, with a laptop computer propped up on a trunk. The computer was on, and they were typing up some information into it. The light in the room was off, and they worked using a small LED lamp. In the lamp's light he could see an A3 sized sheet, which looked like a drawing. They constantly went back and forth between the papers and the computer.

Sreejith started sweating. He could no longer hold himself still. He silently crept back into the yard and pulled himself into a dark corner. He practically broke down there and panted.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Very good scene. Reminds me of Kipling's description in Kim of the night when the saddlebags of Mahbub Ali are slashed by the intruders.
Sanju
BRFite

Post by Sanju »

Dileep,
It is outstanding.
I am curious - when I read the story it feels as if you have thought in Malayalam and then written it in English. I say this because, the dialogues in mind are automatically translated into Malayalam (especially Vidwan, Maashe, Etta, Muthassan - although you have used Grandfather)- never has happened before - but then there is Lord Ayappan, Guruvayurappan and Kodungalloor Devi in it.
Swami Sharanam!! May He bless you with even more skill and ability!
Sanju
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Sanju, it is a literary policy of mine to think in the actual language being spoken, and then translate to English. I did mention this in SS-G, and blogged the actual Malayalam version of some of the chapters at http://thealternatelanguage.blogspot.com

I really wanted to do the same with this one too, but time is something I don't have a plenty right now.

To take it a bit further, I also feel terribly uncomfortable when perceiving dialogues in languages I do not speak.