Indian Military Aviation

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

Re: Indian Military Aviation

Post by kedar.karmarkar »

shiv wrote:
kedar.karmarkar wrote: I appear around 0:15 to 0:18, and then speaking with Air Cmde Walia around the 0:30 on the left. :)
:) Yes that's you alright. In exactly one frame. Shows why videos should be looked at frame by frame to catch everyone who appears on them :mrgreen:
@Kartik - yeah I am trying to get there, plan's still firming up.
@Shiv - LOL - yeah I know, unless you shout out, no one notices in a video with a sea of folks in it :(
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Indian Air Force cadets celebrate their graduation at the Air Force Academy in Dundigal, about 40 kilometers from Hyderabad, India, Saturday, Dec. 18, 2010.

A total 171 Flight Cadets comprising 39 women graduated from the Academy Saturday.
Juggi G
BRFite
Location: Martyr Bhagat Singh Nagar District, Doaba, Punjab, Bharat. De Ghuma ke :)

Post by Juggi G »

Indian Air Force to Induct 400 New Aircraft
:D

PROUD MOMENT : Flying Officer Samvedita Singh with her mother and grandmother after the passing-out-parade at the Air Force Academy, Dundigal on Saturday.
Juggi G
BRFite

Post by Juggi G »

Self - Deleted
Last edited by Juggi G on 19 Dec 2010 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Juggi G wrote:
Kedar Karmarkar is that you & Are you a Serving AirForce Officer or Civilian :?:
:rotfl: No he's the pair of jeans on the left. Goto 31 sec.
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

After the Indian Air Force (IAF) wrote to the ministry of defence expressing concern at its depleting strength and pressing for immediate purchase of 40 Sukhois-30s under the fast-track provision, which does not warrant tendering or open competition, a deal was inked with Russia in 2007 for $1.6 billion (Rs7,490 crore), that is $40 million (Rs190 crore) a piece.

Latest figures tabled in parliament, however, show that another deal for 40 + 2 Sukhois (2 are replacements for aircraft that crashed last year), to be manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL) under licence from the Russian Federation’s Irkutsk, has been struck for $4.3 billion (Rs20,125 crore), that is $102 million (Rs480 crore) a piece.
Usual DDM, comparing apples and oranges

First one is the price for Russian manufacture now, second one is to manufacture by HAL at some point of time at minimum by 2017 or so after it completes the current orders for Su-30MKI
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

What happened to the IFR probe on the C-130J?!
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

indranilroy wrote:What happened to the IFR probe on the C-130J?!
They had it on KC-3801 which was undergoing some testing - this was the KC-3802 which was parked during the ceremony.
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

^^^ Oh!!!

Between, Kedar ji I have an avid interest in photography. Your photographs are real eye candy, both aesthetically and technically. Please keep them coming. In this huge dearth of good photographs of the Indian birds, you and to some extent Vishal are such huge assets to Indian aviation buffs.

I hope to have the money and time to travel soon and cross paths with you. Will be a huge learning experience for me.
kedar.karmarkar
BRFite -Trainee

indranilroy wrote:^^^ Oh!!!

Between, Kedar ji I have an avid interest in photography. Your photographs are real eye candy, both aesthetically and technically. Please keep them coming. In this huge dearth of good photographs of the Indian birds, you and to some extent Vishal are such huge assets to Indian aviation buffs.

I hope to have the money and time to travel soon and cross paths with you. Will be a huge learning experience for me.
No worries, Indranil - you can drop the "ji" tail - just Kedar will do :) - glad you like my work - I know Vishal - he is a great photog and great guy too.

all the best to you.

A small report from me on the C-130J Handover Ceremony at Marietta Georgia
http://www.kedark.com/Kedar_Karmarkar_A ... /Blog.html

Best Regards
Kedar
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

India successfully flight-tests pilotless Lakshya--> http://www.bharatrakshak.com/NEWS/newsr ... wsid=14018

Whats the deal with this Digital Lakshya? Why is DRDO putting a spin on an already proven technology. Garu's please enlighten.
vasu_ray
BRFite

Post by vasu_ray »

^^^

This is what wiki has to say,

"A modified reconnaissance version of the Lakshya is under development. This version was fitted with oblique cameras and a digital on board computer with a faster data-link enabling the drone to carry out completely autonomous operations. The development of this version was formally announced by Dr VK Aatre, then Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, during his lecture on "Evolving Battlefields and Role of Technology" organized by Bangalore Science Forum on 5 July 2003."

Pinaka-2 rockets probably are cued by this platform
Mukesh.Kumar
BRFite

Post by Mukesh.Kumar »

Thanks Vasu. Should have at least checked out Wiki before posting. :)
Kartik
BRF Oldie

Post by Kartik »

Hungary is looking to sell its remaining 12 MiG-29s that had their lives extended. Maybe India could look to snap these up quickly at cheap prices and with Russian permission, get the licence to have them upgraded at the BRD 9 along with the rest of the IAF ones. Then these could be distributed among the 3 existing MiG-29 squadrons. Even the Pukes have been eyeing Norway's fleet of F-16s for second hand airframes.

Hungary looking to sell its MiG-29s
The Defence Ministry plans to invite bids for the Soviet-made MiG-29 fighter jets of the Hungarian Air Force, national daily Magyar Nemzet said on Monday, quoting a ministry source.

Hungarian military industry companies have held informal talks on revamping and reselling the aircraft, the paper said, adding that any sale to a third country would be subject to the prior approval of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation.

The Hungarian Air Force got 28 MiG-29 planes from Russia in 1993, as a partial payment of its government debt, in a total value of 800 million US dollars.

The service life of 14 MiG-29s was extended in 2002 and 2004, respectively, with the rest being cannibalised for spare parts. In the meantime, two jets crashed. If all goes to plan, twelve fighter planes will be offered for sale in spring.

The MiG-29s were phased out over the past few years and replaced by Swedish-made Gripens.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Post by uddu »

No way. We need to change our attitude of going behind outdated weapons and picking thrown out stuff. It may be useful for some years with high maintenance but it's better to invest whatever small amount it may be in the building of Tejas and indegenous weaponary.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

please let us invest that money in making more Tejas Mk1 or buying much needed LCH/WSI Dhruvs. the cost of buying it and upgrading it will be equivlent to a Tejas mk1 but for a 10 yr lifespan vs 40 yrs.
unlike say IL38 there is no essential niche capability the Mig29S brings to IAF today.
srai
BRF Oldie

Post by srai »

Kartik wrote:Hungary is looking to sell its remaining 12 MiG-29s that had their lives extended. Maybe India could look to snap these up quickly at cheap prices and with Russian permission, get the licence to have them upgraded at the BRD 9 along with the rest of the IAF ones. Then these could be distributed among the 3 existing MiG-29 squadrons. ...

Hungary looking to sell its MiG-29s
... The Hungarian Air Force got 28 MiG-29 planes from Russia in 1993, as a partial payment of its government debt, in a total value of 800 million US dollars. ...
Here is my calculation for how much it would cost the IAF to acquire the 12 MiG-29s from HuAF:

Given,
* $800 million for 28 MiG-29s = $29 million USD each
* Assuming 60% of the original price worth now (life-extension) = $17 million USD each
* IAF upgrade cost of its MiG-29 fleet = $15 million each
* Total units available = 12 MiG-29s

((($800 million / 28 MiG-29s) * (60% value of original)) + $15 million upgrade cost) * 12 MiG-29s = $205 million USD
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

srai wrote:
Here is my calculation for how much it would cost the IAF to acquire the 12 MiG-29s from HuAF:

Given,
* $800 million for 28 MiG-29s = $29 million USD each
* Assuming 60% of the original price worth now (life-extension) = $17 million USD each
* IAF upgrade cost of its MiG-29 fleet = $15 million each

* Total units available = 12 MiG-29s

((($800 million / 28 MiG-29s) * (60% value of original)) + $15 million upgrade cost) * 12 MiG-29s = $205 million USD
Am i not better served if go for a new aircraft?
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

17 million is overkill/highway robbery for a 17 year old airframe that has finsihed perhaps more thn half their calender and TTL, and have not been overhauld. considering that they are 17 years old (atleast!) depreciation would be quite high - both in terms of calendar life and technical life. In the current state - with no overhaul, and hundreds of hours on them, I would expect that they will sell for less than 3 mil apiece. (probably a bit higher if they are flyable).

In 2009 Pride aircraft of Illinois US, imported two Sukhoi-27UBs, had them overhauled, and zero timed and then offered them for sale at 5 million USD apiece.
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/01/ow ... our-block/
Cain Marko
BRF Oldie

Post by Cain Marko »

At a time when India is spending billions of $$s on an almost daily basis for various defense related purchases, and at a time when the IAF has reached its lowest numerical strength, I really feel that grabbing such deals - HuAF fulcrums and/or Qatari M2ks is worthwhile even if it is for a premium price. These will help in easing the situation somewhat. Spending $ 1.5 billion in getting 3 sqds worth of MRCA (even used) that can easily be inducted into the existing setup at a v.quick pace would be useful.

Ideally, the Tejas would have been doing this job, however, it will take a good 3-5 years for the Tejas Mk1 to come into its own, as a mature platform. In the meanwhile these fulcrums and the Qatari M2ks sound good to me. This is not the time to be squeezing the pennies.

CM
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Mods pls feel free to move the thread to Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military if this post is hindering the discussions here
Kartik wrote:Kedar, are you going to be in India for Aero India 2011 ? Really hoping that you're there- your pictures of the Tejas are some of the best taken of it so far and am really hoping for a good display this time around.
+1
indranilroy wrote:Between, Kedar ji I have an avid interest in photography. Your photographs are real eye candy, both aesthetically and technically. Please keep them coming.
In this huge dearth of good photographs of the Indian birds, you and to some extent Vishal are such huge assets to Indian aviation buffs.

Indranil, Thank You for the Generous Compliment.

I can tell you Aero India last year was very impactful on me, so much so that i kinda lost a little interest in shooting what i primarily shoot - Civil.

Canon has now gotten very aggressive in India seeing Nikon's Lead here, they've hired God Himself - Sachin Tendulkar as their Brand Ambassador & have started pricing their cameras aggresively.
For e.g., Canon now sells the 1000D + a kit lens in the region of roughly INR 22.5k/- :!: they'll even drop-in a free tripod, memory card or a camera bag to sweeten the deal.
If you have someone in the US then you can get an even better deal here, everything you need to start-off - a decent dSLR Camera Body + wideangle-to-midrange + a telephoto lens

It'll be nice to see you at Yelahanka with that gear, me & Kedar will be glad to help you along Image
kedar.karmarkar wrote:No worries, Indranil - you can drop the "ji" tail - just Kedar will do :) - glad you like my work - I know Vishal - he is a great photog and great guy too.
Bhai, its great knowing you.
Too bad we couldnt sit for longer when you were here in June, was super exchanging our shooting experiences, Yours in Military - Mine in Civil.
I hope you can make it for Aero India, pls let me know if you're coming - have to aarder some saamaan :mrgreen:
Indranil
Forum Moderator

Post by Indranil »

Vishal ji,

Lets move this discussion to here.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Cain Marko wrote:At a time when India is spending billions of $$s on an almost daily basis for various defense related purchases, and at a time when the IAF has reached its lowest numerical strength, I really feel that grabbing such deals - HuAF fulcrums and/or Qatari M2ks is worthwhile even if it is for a premium price. These will help in easing the situation somewhat. Spending $ 1.5 billion in getting 3 sqds worth of MRCA (even used) that can easily be inducted into the existing setup at a v.quick pace would be useful.
The IAF has far higher standards of inspection and maintenance than a lot of other air forces. An old airframe gets old even by just sitting there - the rubber and synthetic non metal parts degrade, pipes corrode and rust occurs in hidden corners. Normally this would have to be inspected and replaced on a regular basis and I am certain that Eastern European air forces from the cold war era were doing nothing like that. This "attractive sale" purchase may be a complete disaster.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Jagan wrote:In 2009 Pride aircraft of Illinois US, imported two Sukhoi-27UBs, had them overhauled, and zero timed and then offered them for sale at 5 million USD apiece.
I have pics of the Su 27 after they refurbished it. I can put them up if anyone is interested.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Western Air Command Visited by Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh DFC
MOD Press release
The Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh, visited the Western Air Command headquartered at Subroto Park, New Delhi today. On his arrival the Marshal was received by Air Marshal NAK Browne, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Air Command and was presented a Guard of Honour.

Air Marshal Browne briefed the Marshal on the achievements of the Command as well as the recent development and progress in the entire Command with respect to the modernization programme of the IAF. While addressing the officers, the Marshal expressed his satisfaction and complimented them for their dedication and professionalism. He also shared his experiences and exhorted the air warriors to keep the IAF’s flag flying high at all times.

The Marshal of the Indian Air Force has had the distinction of having the longest tenure firstly as the Air Officer Commanding of the ‘Operational Command’ which later came to be known as Western Air Command (WAC), from 1949 to 1952 and again from 1957 to 1962 when he served as the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief.
nits
BRFite

Post by nits »

Shameek wrote:
Jagan wrote:In 2009 Pride aircraft of Illinois US, imported two Sukhoi-27UBs, had them overhauled, and zero timed and then offered them for sale at 5 million USD apiece.
I have pics of the Su 27 after they refurbished it. I can put them up if anyone is interested.
Please do...
Sandeep_ghosh
BRFite

Post by Sandeep_ghosh »

Is there a helicoptor which is primarily based around a gattling gun??.
Shameek
BRFite

Post by Shameek »

Sandeep_ghosh wrote:Is there a helicoptor which is primarily based around a gattling gun??.
I don't think so. Certainly not in Indian Military Aviation. Probably can move to a different thread. :)
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

IAF to deploy fighter aircraft in South
Amid heightened threat perception, the Indian Air Force is planning to deploy fighter aircraft squadrons in southern parts of the country to tackle the threat from non-state actors and to secure the sealanes.

"This is in our plans. The first two squadrons of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) would also be based in South India and squadrons of either the M-MRCA or the Su-30 MKI would also be based there," IAF Vice Chief Air Marshal P K Barbora told reporters here on the sidelines of a function here.

Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

A high-flier in the making
correct link : http://www.hindustantimes.com/A-high-fl ... 43953.aspx
By Ashok Baweja
Ashok Baweja is senior technology adviser, HCL Technologies and ex-chairman, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited The views expressed by the author are personal.
Last edited by Rahul M on 29 Dec 2010 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected link.
vic
BRF Oldie

Post by vic »

Old Mig-29s may be available from lot of places. Assuming an upgrade cost of US$ 25 million, airframe of US$ 5 Million, we can get upgraded Mig-29s from say, 2014 onwards. So the point is whether upgraded Mig-29s are better or would money be better spent on new LCAs which will start joining in numbers from around 2014-16 or so????
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

Vic,

The Tejas any day is a better bet then most other platforms. The logic of the MMRCA has never been clear to me.

JMT
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

saurav.jha
BRFite -Trainee

Post by saurav.jha »

Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

"India is interested in buying 22 AH-64D Block III APACHE Helicopters from the USA."
Boeing has responded to an Indian Air Force Request for Proposal offering the Apache Block III. The Indian Air Force has already conducted field trials for these helicopters in July 2010. The testing has taken place in the Thar Desert in the northwest and will also happen near the Himalayan town of Ladakh in Indian-controlled Kashmir. Those sites represent the extremes the air force could find itself operating in. The Russian helicopter has not yet been cleared for testing in India.
The package will include 12 AN/APG-78 Longbow Fire Control Radars, 12 AN/APR-48A Radar Frequency Interferometers, 812 AGM-114L-3 HELLFIRE LONGBOW missiles, 542 AGM-114R-3 HELLFIRE II missiles, 245 STINGER Block I-92H missiles, and 23 Modernized Target Acquisition Designation Sight/Pilot Night Vision Sensors, rockets.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

there is no use buying yankee hardware , cause they will remove all the good equipment cause of cismoa . the russian mil 28 will be better
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

I thnk the same replacements we have used in C130J might work. but the radio link to give radar picture to vanilla ah64d needs to be there to justify this products acquisition.
aniket
BRFite

Post by aniket »

my point is that wat makes the apache lethal is its sensors,electronic package but if the yankees remove components of it it will not function to fullest extent for which we are buying it.
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

The longbow Apache is not as strategic a weapon system as a frontline fighter or an AWACS.
It is meant mainly for ground troops support and to take out enemy tank columns etc.

I think that India can live with US inspecting the relatively few numbers that the armed forces are procuring.

More importantly, the one thing that I have noticed and which people need to reflect on is that India is ordering military hardware from ALL US companies, leverages and pressure points are being built within the US defence industry.

Someone said that the US is run by the Military-Industrial complex and that they wield enormous power. Interesting to see how this will play out when India needs some solid backing in the US congress.

JMT